Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 32 ( Chapter 32 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?

Rating: NC 17

Warnings: Yaoi, Lemon, sap, angst, Male Pregnancy, medical themes

Pairings: 1x2x1

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

Many thanks to DBZVelena, Ryouga and Yami_Tai for the beta. Also thanks to Yami_Tai for the title of this fic.

Notes: Set partially during the series but main bulk after the war. EW didn't take place. The Eve wars are finished and the peace retained. The pilots have all gone their own ways, Heero and Duo have made a life together both working for Preventer when Duo's world is turned upside down as his unknown past comes back to haunt him.

Dedication: To Velena who gave me the plot bunny for this little gem.

Status: In progress.

~ Indicates flashbacks ~

/ thoughts /

"Chimaera"

October. 2003 ShenLong

Chapter 32.

Duo looked up from his reading as Sally entered the small room carrying a kidney dish which she promptly placed on the bedside table. "How are you feeling now, Duo?"

"Sore but nothing I can't handle," he replied. "So, what's that for?" he asked, nodding in the direction of the kidney dish.

"I need to get that blood sample from you." Sally dipped into the dish and removed a black 'rubber band' which she placed over Duo's biceps and tightened.

Duo resigned himself to his fate and leaned back into his pillows, offering his arm and the vein that was rapidly swelling.

Sally took the alcohol swab and wiped over the vein. Removing the needle from the dish she quickly pierced the skin and vein, drawing the plunger back and filling the syringe with rich, red blood. She reached for the 'rubber band' and released it, slipping the needle out of the vein and pressing over the tiny hole to prevent blood loss. She dropped the syringe into the kidney dish and picked up a piece of cotton wool and roll of surgical tape. Placing the cotton wool over the hole she cut a piece of tape and secured it over the top, raising Duo's arm up as she finished. "Just keep your arm elevated for a couple of minutes, Duo."

"Yeah, I know. I've been through it all before. At least this time I know you're not trying to inject me with some experimental shit."

Sally gave him a sympathetic look. "It must have been hard at times."

"You have no idea, Sally." Duo's voice softened. "But let's not talk about things like that." He lowered his arm. "Any idea when this drip can come out?"

Sally smiled and reached for his chart. "I see you are drinking fluids normally. Once you are urinating properly and I'm satisfied that everything is working as it should, then the drip can be removed."

"Oh, great!" Duo rolled his eyes.

Sally chuckled and squeezed his arm. "I'll get Nurse Brown to bring you in a bottle. I need to record how much output there is and compare with the input, to make sure all is functioning as it should be. You understand?"

"Yeah, I get it," Duo huffed.

"Good. I'll take this sample off now and run the tests I need to run to confirm my suspicions. Nurse Brown will be in shortly and I expect you to behave yourself with her."

"Would I do anything else?" came the innocent voice from the bed; the angelic expression on the face belying the demon Sally knew resided beneath.

"Just remember she is the one to look after you while you're in here, so it isn't a good idea to piss off the nurse."

Duo thought about that and recalled the threat of the suppository from earlier. "Point acknowledged," he replied and picked up his book again as Sally left the room.

~ * ~

Wufei stuck his head out of the office door and called Heero back inside. Une sat at her desk, her mind locked deep in thought, face unreadable as Heero sat down. Wufei hadn't said a word to him either so Heero hadn't got a clue as to what was going to happen. With a deep breath, Une began to speak.

"Agent Day, after hearing your report, reading Agent Night's statement and listening to Agent Fire's description of the events, coupled with the visual evidence from the security tapes I have drawn my conclusions in regards to the death of the terrorist."

Heero stiffened.

"Due to the circumstances of the shooting I feel that you acted in a professional manner at all times and took the only course of action that was left available to you to ensure the safety of both yourself and your partner as well as the general public. There will be no charges made in regards to the death of the terrorist known as Moran."

Heero felt himself slump in his chair, he hadn't been aware of how tense he'd been.

"However..."

The tension returned.

"In relation to you leaving your post. You were on assignment to maintain the security, not go rushing off to save a fellow officer, regardless of how good those intentions may have been. This breech of authority cannot go undisciplined."

Heero braced himself.

"Therefore as Commander of the Preventer agency I hereby suspend you from active duty for the period of two weeks."

Heero's eyes widened and his jaw dropped in shock.

Une's eyes though were twinkling as she continued to speak. "The two weeks suspension will be effective immediately and will be fully paid. I expect you to take care of your injured partner, Agent Day." Une smiled at Heero. "Dismissed."

Heero stood up, his mind in a daze. Had he just heard everything correctly? Wufei walked with him out of the office. Once they were clear Wufei turned to his fellow agent, his dark eyes showing a hint of amusement. "I'd say you got off pretty lightly, Yuy," he said, as they walked along the corridor towards the elevator.

Heero turned to look at the Chinese man. "I'm not sure I completely understand."

"It's quite simple. There won't be any charges made in regards to the shooting, but the blatant disregard for authority and staying at your post cannot go undisciplined. If Commander Une was to let you off then it would look bad for her. Maxwell is going to need your assistance once he's discharged from the hospital so by suspending you, not only do you get the time necessary to take care of Maxwell but the Commander doesn't lose face either."

"Hn. I always knew there was more to that woman than she showed."

"You have no idea, Yuy." Wufei stated and resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

The elevator arrived and the agents stepped inside, Heero pushing the button for the sixth floor. They descended in silence, each comfortable with their own thoughts. The chime sounded and the doors swished open, Heero stepping out while Wufei remained inside.

"I will contact you in regards to your report, Yuy. I will also require Maxwell's."

Heero nodded. "I will have mine ready by tomorrow. Agent Night's may take a couple of days though."

"That is fine. I will stop by later to check on Maxwell's status." The doors began to close and Heero waited until they had, before turning and heading for the office he shared with Duo.

Stepping through the door he glanced around and felt the emotion begin to well inside. Duo's desk sat forlornly looking at him, the scattering of paper and a solitary pencil on the desk top, the three small teddy bears sitting on top of the computer monitor all reminding him of his partner's absence. Swallowing the lump that had formed in his throat he went to the desk and rummaged through the disc holder until he located the ones Duo had started to put the information on in regards to the mission report. Sitting at his partner's desk, he booted up the computer and inserted a disc into the drive while the thing loaded up.

A smile tugged at the corners of his mouth as a line of 'Deathscythes' danced the Can Can across the screen. / Trust Duo. / he thought to himself. The computer finished its loading and Heero quickly located the files Duo had in relation to the mission. He downloaded the information to the disc and then shut down the computer.

Ignoring the emptiness of the office he went to his own desk and retrieved all the necessary information he would need for his own report, before grabbing his laptop and exiting the office. Moments later he was striding back to the elevators, intending to return to the medical wing and see how his lover was faring.

~ * ~

Duo was sitting up in the bed when Heero arrived. Heero was pleased to note that a little of the usual color was returning to Duo's skin. He knocked softly on the door. "Can I come in?"

"Heero! I thought you were never coming back," Duo replied, the grin on his face widening.

Heero strode to the bedside and dropped his laptop and the discs to the small moveable tray, shoving it to the side so as he could lean closer to his love and place a tender kiss to those sweet lips. "Miss me, did you?"

"You have no idea how much, Heero. I hate hospitals. I want to go home," Duo grumbled.

"And I want nothing more than to have you home with me, Duo, but you have just undergone major abdominal surgery. Unfortunately you won't be able to leave until Sally gives you the all clear. There is also the other matter of your nausea as well."

"Don't remind me," Duo huffed. After eating his rather plain lunch of orange juice and very watery soup he'd managed to bring the whole lot back, much to Nurse Brown's disappointment. At least he'd alerted her to the impending return of the food and she had gotten the small bowl to him in time to prevent him from soiling the bedclothes.

"Has Sally said anything more on that?"

"No." Duo fiddled with the edge of the sheet. "She did come in earlier and take a blood sample but she hasn't returned yet to tell me anything of the results."

"Hn. I'm sure if it was something serious she would have been back to tell you by now." Heero sat himself down on the edge of the bed and picked up Duo's hand, the one that wasn't connected to the drip.

Duo raised his eyes to meet his partner's. "I guess so," he replied and then continued. "So, how did it go with Une then? I take it she didn't go psycho on you, seeing as how you're still in uniform and have all your appendages still intact." The accompanying snicker was like music to Heero's ears. If Duo was starting to tease again, it meant he was on the way to recovery.

"Iie, she didn't attack me, verbally or physically. In fact, she was quite decent about the whole thing." Heero explained to Duo what had transpired in the office, his statement and Wufei's, the security tapes and Une's resulting disciplining of him.

Duo gave a low whistle. "Wow, I never would'a thought that Une would be like that, guess there must be a heart somewhere under that ice block of a front she puts on."

They continued to talk for a while, Duo asking questions and Heero answering them as best he could. Wufei called by on his way home and gruffly reminded Duo that he still wanted his full report, he also reminded Heero that even though he was on suspension his report was expected within the next twenty four hours as well.

"Yanno, Heero, I reckon if I'd somehow had both my hands incapacitated Wuffy would still expect me to type up my report using my toes," Duo whispered as the Chinese man left the room.

"Actually you would be better typing it with your tongue, Maxwell. It's had far more exercise and is much more dexterous than your toes." Wufei stuck his head back around the door jamb. "Good evening, gentlemen," and this time he did leave.

Duo sat there, his mouth opening and closing like a goldfish, the redness spreading over his face until his cheeks were flaming with embarrassment.

/ Wufei 2 - Duo 1 / Heero thought as he tried to stifle his own snickers.

Heero stayed with Duo while he ate his dinner, he sat and watched as the Nurse removed the cannula from Duo's vein. He assisted Duo to take his next round of pills and played several games of chess with him. Finally the orderly came and told Heero he had to leave. Reluctantly he bid his lover goodnight, kissing him soundly and thoroughly before leaving with the promise to return first thing in the morning.

Heero didn't want to spend any time in the apartment without his lover. It wasn't home when Duo's laughter wasn't there, even if he could smell the scent of his partner on their bed sheets. The silence of the rooms only served to remind him of what he'd nearly lost and tormented his mind and heart with the pain of what could have been. Consequently Heero only used the apartment to shower and sleep in, leaving as soon as the sun was up and heading back to his lover.

~ * ~

Sally waited by the large doors to the cargo section of the shuttle port. G had sent her a message to inform her of his arrival time and Sally had managed to get away from Preventer to come and pick him up without letting anyone know. She felt guilty for not informing Commander Une what was going on but she did have a patient confidentiality clause to back her up. Besides she didn't think it was appropriate that anyone know what was going on until both Duo and Heero knew, after all it was their lives that were at stake here so to speak.

She hadn't been standing there long when a familiar figure stepped out from the doors, the sunglasses and unmistakable loud shirt identifying him immediately to those who knew him. "Howard," Sally said as she strode up to the man and offered her hand.

Howard took the offered hand and shook it firmly. "It's good to see you again, Sally," he responded and then took a step back to appraise the woman. "The Preventer life seems to agree with you."

Sally laughed. "It's not as glamorous as you would think, Howard, but it did manage to put me through the rest of my medical studies and enable me to finish off my degree so I'm not about to complain."

A lone figure stepped out from the doors and both Sally and Howard turned to face the approaching person. Sally's eyebrows rose slightly, she had only ever really met the man who had been Duo's controller through the war on one or two occasions and even then it wasn't anything more that a brief encounter at best. She could count on one hand the number of words that had been exchanged. To say she was curious about him was an understatement.

G walked up to the pair, his thick, gray hair nearly obscuring his face, although there was no way you could miss the size of the nose which at first glance appeared to be the parting factor for the hair. He was shorter than Sally remembered, or maybe she had grown. He stopped just in front of the pair and looked through narrowed eyes.

"Thank you for coming, Doctor G," Sally said as she offered her hand. "I'm Doctor Sally Po."

G looked at the hand and then at the woman. Slowly he brought his own up and clasped the offered one. The handshake over, G cleared his throat. "Now what is all this about Duo?"

Sally was a little taken aback; she hadn't expected to be discussing one of her patients medical statuses' out here in a public shuttle port. "Let me drive you back to Preventer and I can explain to you on the way."

"Then let's hurry up and get going. Howard, are you coming or are you going to stand there like a monument?"

Howard gave Sally a smile and shrugged his shoulders. "I'll follow you," he said.

Sally turned and led the pair to her waiting car. If nothing else the drive would certainly be... interesting.

During the trip back to Preventer HQ Sally filled Dr. G in on Duo's current status, telling him about the mission and subsequent injury. "If I hadn't done the ultra sound I would never have suspected anything like this. It did come as rather a shock to me I don't mind telling you."

"What do you know of Duo's condition?" G asked.

"I did some research, mainly into hermaphrodites. I take it that is what Duo is?"

G nodded. "Yes, you are correct."

"The thing I don't understand is why his female parts were not removed after birth; I mean it is usual practice nowadays to remove the sex organs that are deemed to be the passive ones."

"That is correct also but...." G turned to look at the fellow doctor. "You have to remember that Duo comes from L2, he became a war orphan at a very early age. From what I know of his past he doesn't remember his natural parents and given the state of the economy and the poverty that runs rife on L2, it was highly unlikely that Duo was even born in a hospital. I doubt very much that anyone knew of Duo's condition."

Sally's brow furrowed. "I guess so. But I have a question for you."

"Yes?"

"Obviously you found out about Duo's condition when he was with you in his training to become a Gundam pilot."

G nodded.

"Why didn't you remove the female organs then? But even more so, having decided not to remove them why didn't you tell Duo of his condition?"

G turned his gaze away. "I didn't think it necessary. It wasn't going to interfere with his training or his ability to carry out his missions. In fact, it was insignificant."

"Well, I hate to tell you this, doc, but it certainly is significant now. Duo and Heero are going to be parents and someone has to be the one to tell them and I, sure as hell, am not looking forward to that!" Sally continued to drive on, the weight of her words pressing heavily upon the occupants of the car.

~ * ~

tbc.....