Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 77 ( Chapter 77 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Please see previous chapters for disclaimer etc.

 

"Chimaera"

by ShenLong

 

Chapter 77

 

The next day Duo did his best to avoid both Trowa and Quatre, opting to spend most of his time in the garden enjoying the sunshine. He'd had enough of the teasing from the pair and didn't fancy a second round defending his masculinity against the repeated attempts of the other pair for him to grow breasts and feed his baby himself. He'd already discussed this with Sally and they had both agreed that for both his own health as well as and the baby's health, it wasn't a viable option for him to take the large doses of hormones he would need to be able to lactate; hell, he was having enough problems with the damn hormones as it was.

 

Taking the hormones after the baby was born wasn't really going to be much help either as he would need to take them for quite a few weeks before he developed enough breast tissue to actually produce enough milk to support the child and by that stage the baby would be well and truly on the formula. Sally had warned him though that his body would likely produce some of the hormones itself and he would possibly have a little swelling in the breast area and maybe even produce some milk. A small amount of breast tissue he could cope with and the colostrum stuff that Quatre had been talking about was probably what his body would produce. Sally had suggested that the best thing to do would be to adopt a 'wait and see' strategy. If he did produce some milk then there would be no harm in him feeding the baby himself and supplementing with formula, then gradually change the baby over to formula completely. Sally didn't seem to think that he would produce much at all and that if he did, it would most likely dry up within a few days.

 

In one way Duo didn't mind the thought of feeding his baby himself, only for a few days though. He didn't think he would be able to do it for months like women did. The bottle was a far better option, besides, feeding the baby from a bottle would also mean that Heero could share in the child's care and not feel left out as he'd understood quite a few fathers did when they had a new baby in the family. It would also be easier when they went out anywhere. It was going to be hard enough to explain the sudden new arrival to their family without having Duo sporting a size sixteen 'C' chest as well, not to mention disappearing to feed a crying baby.

 

After the teasing of the evening before, Duo began to realize that he didn't really know a lot about this baby business and when Quatre had been out of the way he'd gone into the library and selected a few books on parenting to read on the side. Needless to say he'd had his eyes well and truly opened. He'd eventually given up on the reading, it was making him feel completely incompetent and under prepared. He decided to wait until Heero got back and then they could read and investigate together. Nurse Brown would be moving in with them soon and Duo felt that he could probably ask the nurse a lot of questions and hopefully she would be able to help him out a bit with some decent answers and not the clinical and technical shit that the books seemed to sprout.

 

Duo drained his coffee mug and gazed out at the garden. The sun was warm on his face and he was enjoying the relaxing mood. Heero would be back tomorrow and life was looking pretty good.

 

"Duo? Duo, where are you?"

 

Correction, life had been looking pretty good.

 

"Ah, there you are, Duo." The Arab came around the edge of the flower beds and faced the pregnant man. "I'm popping into town to pick up a few things and wanted to know if you needed anything."

 

"Some more Crunchie bars would be nice, Quat, I'm almost out."

 

The blonde shook his head. "You know you're not supposed to have too many of them, Duo. You'll get fat."

 

"I'm already fat, Quatre, or hadn't you noticed the belly on me?" Duo ran his hand over the bump to prove his point and copped a kick from the baby in return. "Shit! That hurt, you mini terrorist, lay off with the Wufei-style karate will you?"

 

Quatre snickered. "I'd say that's justice."

 

"More like sadistic. Ow!"

 

"Someone isn't happy with their mother and the insults."

 

"I really don't give a... Ow! Jeeze, use my intestines as a trampoline, why don't you?"

 

Quatre couldn't help but laugh as Duo's belly suddenly began to move of its own accord.

 

"Will you just take a look at that, Quat. See what I have to put up with?" Duo lifted his T-shirt so Quatre could see how his stomach was moving around.

 

Quatre stared, fascinated at the display. Duo's belly jerked and moved, one side would bulge slightly and then the other, followed by a sudden jump. "You sure you're not carrying twins?"

 

"I would swear on some days that I have a whole football team in there, either that or the entire cast of Swan Lake!"

 

"Surely it's not that bad, Duo," soothed the blonde as Duo pulled his T-shirt back down to cover his dancing belly.

 

"I don't really mind, Quat; well, not most of the time. Occasionally it can get annoying, times when I'm about to drop off to sleep and Sunshine here decides it's time to play or uses my bladder as a pillow and repeatedly digs its foot or fist into it. That's when it can get a little painful."

 

Quatre dropped a hand to Duo's shoulder and gave the American a squeeze. "Never mind, Duo. It won't be too much longer and the baby will be here, then you'll be wishing it was still inside you."

 

"I don't know about that. There is something very appealing about having my body back and being able to go out and do the things I used to do. Don't take this the wrong way, Quat, but it's beginning to get rather boring being confined to the house and grounds all the time, not being able to go out, do some shopping or even just drive around for a change of scenery. I know you guys are doing the best you can and that it's for my own safety as well as the child's, but..."

 

"I know, Duo. It isn't easy on you and I think you're a very brave person. I don't think that I could go through what you're going through."

 

"There's some day's when I ask myself the same question," sighed Duo. "Is that wrong to think like that, Quat? I mean, as much as I'm looking forward to having this child I can't help but feel a little resentful as well." Duo's voice hitched as he spoke.

 

"Oh, Duo." Quatre knelt down next to the ex pilot. "I think it's perfectly normal for you to think this way at times. I bet women do. It isn't easy having your body change and be unable to do some of the things you enjoy doing, and in your case it would be harder still as there are so many more restrictions placed on you."

 

"You're right in that department, Quat. It isn't easy having your body hijacked, I don't know how women can accept it all so easily."

 

"Don't forget, Duo, they're physically built for child bearing; you aren't. Oh, I know you are a special case with your extra organs but that doesn't mean that your body is physically prepared for the carrying of a child. It's a very complicated issue, Duo but I still think you're doing a wonderful job and that you wouldn't be human if you didn't have doubts from time to time," Quatre returned as he tried to reassure the man. "Have you spoken to Heero about any of your concerns?"

 

"No, I haven't. Heero has enough on his mind without worrying about my insecurities as well."

 

"I think you should talk to him, Duo. You will possibly be surprised to find that he also has his doubts."

 

Duo turned and stared at the blonde. "Heero? Have doubts? I don't think so, Quat. He's pretty stable and I know he wants this baby as much as I do and that's what makes it worse when I have these feelings of resentment towards the child."

 

"Trust me, Duo. Talk to him. Between the two of you I'm sure you can help each other with your insecurities."

 

"Has he said something to you, Quat?" Duo asked, cocking his head.

 

"No, no, he hasn't but I just get this feeling that he's not as confident as you might think." It wasn't exactly a lie, Heero hadn't spoken to him about his concerns, rather he'd spoken to Trowa and Trowa had relayed the information on to Quatre.

 

"I'll think about it," replied Duo.

 

"It can't do any harm, Duo. Remember, it's his child as well and I'm sure he would want to know of anything you might be feeling in relation to the baby." Quatre remained kneeling next to his friend whilst Duo regained what little of his composure he'd lost. "Look, I'll take my run into town and get my shopping done. When I get back how about I take you out for a drive, we don't have to get out of the car so no one will see you and your secret can remain safe. It might do you some good."

 

Duo's eyes lit up. "Would you? I'd love that, Quatre. Anything to have a couple of hours away from the same old scenery."

 

"I'll check with Trowa but I don't think it should be a problem."

 

"Thanks, Quatre."

 

"No problem, Duo."

 

Quatre wandered off to fetch his list and go do his shopping, Duo sat back in the chair and relaxed again, this time a little happier with the prospect of being able to get out of the same place even if it would only be for an hour or two.

 

***

 

Quatre approached his husband on the topic of taking Duo out for a while and as he expected he met with strong resistance; but Quatre wasn't one to give up easily. He knew all the tricks in the book to get his own way with his lover and he exploited each of Trowa's weaknesses thoroughly until Trowa was left with no option but to agree. When the blonde disappeared to do his shopping, Trowa was left wondering just how the hell he'd managed to succumb once more to his husband's charms. Was it the hurt puppy eyed look? Or maybe the soft nibbling on his neck just below his right ear… the spot that always reduced him to a puddle? Or could it have been the threat of no sex for at least a month? Or maybe the promise of discovering the delights of Quatre coated in ice cream later on that had finally caused his resistance to crumble and his libido to rise? To be honest, Trowa didn't know and at the moment he really didn't care. All he knew was that his husband had done it again, gotten him to agree to something and then disappeared leaving him with a hard on and the hint of what to expect later.

 

Trowa wondered if Quatre would remember to pick up some more ice cream whilst out shopping.

 

***

 

Quatre completed his shopping trip and returned to the mansion within two hours, not bad for someone who was a self confessed shopaholic. He put the purchases away and then went in search of Duo once more. He found the braided man in his room and shortly after they were driving away from the estate to tour the countryside. The look on Duo's face, the laughter that rang through the air made Quatre happy that he could do something like this for his friend. It was good to see the American smiling again. Quatre drove them out to the coast, it wasn't all that far from the estate and once there, he pulled over and slid the top of the convertible back so the salty air could blow around them.

 

Duo drew in great lungfuls of the briny air, it invigorated him, made him feel alive and he itched to be able to walk along the sands. He eyed the beach longingly; no one was around, just the call of the gulls as they wheeled overhead and the crashing of the waves against the sand. It was too cool to be swimming and too breezy for most people to want to walk the sands. Perfect weather for Duo. He gazed out wistfully and then turned to Quatre. "I don't suppose you'd let me take a short walk on the beach?"

 

Quatre could hear the longing in the voice and it tore at him. He looked around. There wasn't another soul about. Really he couldn't see any harm in just taking a walk for a few minutes. "Okay. But only for a few minutes, Duo. We need to keep our eyes peeled though, if we spot anyone we head straight back to the car," replied Quatre.

 

"Deal!" Duo was out of the car before Quatre could blink and heading for the beach. When he reached the sands he took his shoes off and wiggled his toes. The sand was cool against his feet and he delighted in the simple pleasure of feeling the grains run through his toes and cling to his skin. He began to walk towards the water, the roar of the waves in his ears as the strong breeze whipped his braid around him. He opened his mouth and drew in a breath, tasting the salty air. It was heaven.

 

Quatre followed along behind, eyes keeping a vigilant look out for anyone appearing on the secluded sands. He smiled as he watched Duo enjoy the simple pleasure of exploring the beach and what it had to offer. Something out the corner of his eye caught his attention at the same time as it caught Duo's.

 

Duo stood on the edge of the wet sands, just far enough out of reach of the pounding surf when something caught his eye. He squinted and began to move in the direction of the object, Quatre joined him almost immediately.

 

"What is it, Duo?"

 

"Not sure. It looks like clothing. No, hang on, it's rougher than that, it looks like a sack." Duo was moving a little more rapidly now.

 

Quatre moved swiftly to intercept the pregnant man and his goal. "Hold on, Duo. You don't know what it is, let me take a look first."

 

"Okay, Quat. It's definitely a sack or something very much like it."

 

The object rolled against the sand, the waves picking it up and drawing it back out before rolling in once again and dumping the object hard against the unforgiving sand. Duo heard a distinctive cry come from the object, as did Quatre.

 

"There's something inside, Quat!" Duo yelled above the roar of the ocean.

 

"I heard it too," replied the blonde and scrambled to grab a hold of the sack before the waves could pull it out to sea again. Seconds later Quatre had the bundle in his grasp and with soaked trouser legs he carried it back to dry ground and an excited Duo.

 

"Any idea what is it, Quat?" the pregnant man asked as he reached for the bundle and located the cord secured at the top.

 

"I'm not completely sure but I'd guess it's..." Quatre was unable to finish his sentence as Duo managed to undo the tie and peer into the bag.

 

"Oh, shit!" Duo quickly pushed the sacking back and plunged his hands inside, seconds later he withdrew a soggy bundle of golden brown fur and deposited it on the sand. "It's a puppy, Quat," he said quietly.

 

"Is it dead?"

 

"No. It's still breathing." Duo gently rubbed the wet fur. "You got a towel or blanket or something in the car?"

 

"Yes. Come on." Quatre dropped the sack to the sand and picked up the wet, shivering form. He was already wet himself from retrieving the sack so a little more wasn't going to hurt him. Quickly they made their way back through the dunes to the car and Quatre fetched the old towel from the trunk.

 

Duo took the towel and as Quatre held the puppy so Duo began to rub briskly at it, drying off the soaking body and trying to encourage the circulation. "How could anyone do such a cruel thing?" he growled as he wrapped the puppy in the towel and cradled it close to his chest.

 

"Some people," muttered Quatre. "What are we going to do with it?"

 

"I'm taking it home, Quat."

 

Quatre didn't bother to argue, he could see by the determined set of Duo's jaw, the anger that boiled below the surface and flashed through those eyes that Duo was serious. "Get in the car then, the sooner we get it back home and warmed up the better its chances of survival."

 

Duo complied, hopping back into the car and nursing the shivering bundle in his arms. "Poor thing," he crooned. "How could anyone want to dump and drown a sweet thing like you?"

 

Quatre simply drove, his mind wondering what his husband would say when they got back with the new arrival; or more to the point, what would he say about Quatre letting Duo out of the car? With that thought flittering in his mind, Quatre tried to concentrate on the road. Besides Trowa, what would Heero say when he got back and found that Duo had adopted a puppy? And the circumstances surrounding the finding of said puppy? Quatre wondered what the weather was like in Tahiti at this time of the year and if he could get a reservation with a day's notice.

 

***

 

Trowa heard them pull up and came out to meet them; he knew something was up as soon as Quatre stopped the car. Quickly he traversed the steps as Duo and his husband exited the car. Noting the wet state of the blonde and the damp state of Duo, he immediately went on the alert. "What happened?" he asked, his voice strained as he tried to keep his cool, there wasn't any point in losing his temper until he found out exactly what had transpired.

 

"We stopped at the beach and went for a little walk on the sands; no one was about so we weren't seen," Quatre added hastily as he saw the green eyes of his husband flash. "Duo spotted a sack in the water and it made a noise. We got it out and found..."

 

"Can you help it, Tro?" Duo held out the bundle he carried towards Trowa, his voice quavering a little.

 

Trowa took the bundle and peeled the towel back to reveal a small puppy, golden retriever by the look of it but the poor creature was so bedraggled and shaking with the cold and shock that it was hard to determine if it was a pure bred or a cross. Trowa felt his own mothering instincts kick in and took control. "Duo, Quatre, both of you upstairs and into a hot bath or shower now. Get yourselves warm and out of those wet things before you catch cold. Leave the puppy to me. Go on, move," he repeated when both men simply stood on the steps.

 

Quatre turned and went inside without argument, heading for the stairs, Duo followed a few steps behind and paused for a moment. He turned back to Trowa who was unraveling the bundle. "Please, Tro, do what you can for it. I don't want it to... you know..." Duo couldn't bring himself to finish the sentence.

 

"I'll do everything I can, Duo. Now, you go get out of those wet clothes and take a hot bath, I'll look after the puppy. Once you're warm again come and find me, okay?"

 

Duo nodded. "Thanks."

 

Trowa gave him a warm smile and then went through to the kitchen to see what he could do for the puppy.

 

***

 

Two hours later both Quatre and Duo, freshly bathed and in warm clothing were sitting in the kitchen sipping hot chocolate and watching the puppy who was slowly returning to consciousness. Trowa had dried the little creature off and popped it into a box by the open oven door, the extra heat aiding the animal's return to normal temperature. The small head began to bob a little as the eyes opened and the pup began to look around. Duo immediately went to the box and picked the creature up, cradling it in his arms. "Hey, little one. Feeling better now?" he crooned to the pup.

 

"Duo?"

 

Duo looked up to see Trowa standing over him. "Take the pup through to the lounge, I've lit the fire in there so it's warm. I'll bring some milk through and see if we can get the pup to take some."

 

"Okay, Tro." Duo carried the small animal through to the lounge, Quatre behind him with the hot chocolate. Trowa came through a moment later with a small cup of warm milk and an eye dropper.

 

"Here." Trowa positioned the dog in Duo's arms and sucked up some of the milk into the eye dropper. "Just slip it into the side of the mouth and squeeze gently."

 

Duo did as Trowa said and was pleased to note the pup swallowing eagerly. With Trowa's assistance, Duo managed to get most of the milk down the pup's throat and soon the little dog was beginning to squirm a little as its senses fully returned. "Any idea what sex it is, Trowa?"

 

Trowa took a quick look between the pup's legs. "Bitch."

 

"And you're a bastard."

 

"No, Duo. The pup, it's a bitch, female."

 

"Oh. Sorry Tro."

 

The pup squirmed again and turned slightly in Duo's arms. The liquid brown eyes opened and stared at the pregnant man. "Hey, cutie. Feeling better?" The pup licked Duo's nose as the tiny tail began to wag furiously.

 

"I think you've made a friend, Duo," said Quatre softly. "You sure you want to keep her?"

 

"Yes. Heero won't mind," replied Duo as the pup sniffed him all over and then tried to lick his face again.

 

"I'd say she likes you, Duo," smiled Trowa as he rubbed the dog's ears. "Thought of a name for her?"

 

Duo lifted the squirming puppy up and studied the shaggy animal. "I think I'll call her Miracle," he said softly and turned to Trowa. "Thanks for making her better, Tro."

 

"You're welcome, Duo."

 

"And thanks for getting her out of the surf, Quat."

 

"No problem, Duo."

 

Duo snuggled the little creature close to him. The pup gave a wide yawn and settled comfortably on Duo's lap, curved around the swell of his belly.

 

"I think this calls for a celebration," said Quatre as he stood up. "Who's for ice cream?"

 

"Silly question, Quat."

 

~ * ~

 

tbc......