Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 85 ( Chapter 85 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Please see previous chapters for notes, disclaimers etc.
 
"Chimaera"
 
By ShenLong.
 
 
Chapter 85
 
True to her word, as soon as Sally arrived at Preventer HQ in the morning the first thing she did was boot up her computer. She set the program to search and made herself a cup of tea. Returning to her office she was pleased to see a long list of possible sites for her search. She sat down and began to sift through them all. After an hour of wading through possibilities she finally hit pay dirt. Smiling to herself, she quickly copied and pasted the relevant information to a document and began to print it out.
 
"Someone looks happy today. Get lucky, did we?"
 
Sally looked up sharply to see the grinning face of Nurse Brown in the doorway. "Morning, Margaret," she said as the nurse's words hit home. "What did you say?"
 
Nurse Brown entered the doctor's office, still smiling. "I said you look happy today, did you get lucky?"
 
Sally was about to take a mouthful of her tea and quickly thought better of it. "You cheeky devil! I'll have you know I'm very fussy about my private life. Besides, there isn't anyone special enough."
 
"Oh, I don't know. I've seen the way that dark haired agent looks at you. Why else would he keep coming down to the infirmary and insisting on only seeing you?" Nurse Brown quirked an eyebrow, a knowing look on her face.
 
"Margaret! I would never have picked you as a gossip monger."
 
"I'm not, but you would have to be blind not to see that he's interested in you. That reminds me, when did you last have your eyes checked?"
 
Sally shook her head. She couldn't believe that the stoic nurse was teasing her. "I'll admit he is cute and yes, I have gone out with him a few times," Sally gave the nurse a stern look. "And that's all I'm going to say about it."
 
"None of my business," replied the nurse. "Just take a little advice from an old biddy. Keep that one, he's worth it." The nurse gave a wink. "Now, how's our number one patient doing? I know you called there yesterday to do an ultra sound."
 
Sally quickly filled the nurse in on the latest developments with Duo's pregnancy and the up coming wedding, the wedding she was trying to help salvage. The printer finished the job and beeped, Sally quickly pulled the printed sheets from the machine. "I knew I was right," she stated to the nurse. "And here's the proof." She passed the papers over to the nurse who took them and scanned the pages quickly.
 
"Well, that's some good news at least," said Margaret as she handed the pages back.
 
"Yes, it is. Now I need to contact Heero as well as Duo and let them know so that they can continue with their arrangements." Sally paused for a moment, lost in thought.
 
"Going to share?" asked the nurse as she waved a hand in front of Sally's face.
 
"Oh, sorry. I was just thinking, with all this new information there really only remains one obstacle."
 
"And that would be?"
 
"Asking Howard to perform the ceremony."
 
"Oh."
 
"I'd better get this information to where it's needed. Oh, I meant to ask you, when did you want to move into Heero and Duo's place? I've rearranged the rosters so starting next Friday the new roster will take over."
 
"I'd noticed that," replied the nurse. "I really think that the sooner the better, don't you?"
 
"Yes, yes, I do. I'm concerned for Duo with his advancement in the pregnancy. The baby is formed pretty well and so there's really only the growth left. I'm worried about Duo's insides, there isn't a lot of room in there and his organs are getting rather cramped. I've told him that he's to take it really easy, but knowing Duo he's not about to rest up as much as I'd like so I think the sooner you can move in, the better it will be for both Heero's and my nerves."
 
Nurse Brown chuckled. "I'll start packing when I get off shift today. If I can get a little help I can move in this weekend."
 
"Margaret, that would be wonderful," smiled Sally. "Now, I really must get some work done."
 
The nurse gave a nod and left the doctor to it.
 
Sally turned back to her computer and sent an internal e-mail to Heero to let him know that the results were positive and that she would be up to see him in his office shortly with all the relevant information. Next she sent Duo an e-mail, also informing him of the positive outcome of her research and that she would send all the information home with Heero. Shutting the computer to stand by mode, Sally picked up the papers and took the elevator to Heero's floor and the Japanese man's office.
 
***
 
Duo checked his e-mail for the tenth time in the last five minutes. Still nothing. He sighed and leaned back in the chair, hand rubbing absently over his belly. He'd been waiting patiently beside the computer for the past hour. He knew he shouldn't be impatient, that Sally would contact him as soon as she could with whatever news she had, but Duo couldn't help it. In one way his and Heero's future happiness depended on what Sally found out.
 
He picked up his glass of milk and drained it. There wasn't much point in trying to organize anything further on the wedding until he had Sally's findings. He sighed again and idly flipped through one of the magazines that Hilde had sent him. His eyes traversed the page, noting the flowers, the lovely dresses and handsome suits. His finger traced the lines of the charcoal one he'd picked out for Heero and he could feel the familiar lump lodging in his throat. He suddenly threw the magazine across the room in frustration.
 
"What's the fucking point!?" he growled out to the room. "All my life it's been the same, nothing has ever gone smoothly for me so why should this be any different?" He knew he was being pissy but he didn't care. It wasn't like there was anyone to hear him anyway.
 
Sensing her master's unrest, Miracle sat up and placed a paw on Duo's knee, staring at him with her liquid brown eyes.
 
Duo turned to look at the dog and dropped his hand to scratch her ears. "Sorry, girl. Just not in a good mood today." He reached for the key board again and hit the refresh button to his e-mail. When the screen returned he spotted the new icon indicating he had mail. Immediately he ceased his scratching of the dog and quickly hit the button to open the message.
 
The screen changed again and then displayed the message; Duo read it, his eyes flashing as he noted the words. A broad grin came over his face as the words registered and then suddenly he gave a loud whoop of joy and leapt out of his seat, punching the air.
 
Miracle barked, thinking that something had attacked her master and began to search the room, still barking.
 
"Yes!" Duo shouted as he danced around in joy.
 
The little fetus stirred, woken from its slumber by the jarring and jolting of its mother's body. Annoyed, it kicked out.
 
"Ow! Oops, sorry, sunshine," Duo apologized and rubbed his stomach, the grin never leaving his face.
 
"Master Duo? Are you all right?"
 
Duo whirled around to see Siska standing in the doorway, concern written on her face. "I'm fine, Siska. Just got some good news regarding the wedding. My apologies for worrying you."
 
"That's okay, Master Duo, as long as you're all right." The woman gave him a warm smile. "Anything I can get for you?"
 
"Nah. Thanks anyway."
 
"May I ask what the news is?"
 
"Doctor Po has managed to find us someone to perform the ceremony, Siska. Looks like Heero and I will be getting married after all." The grin on Duo's face was so wide he nearly dazzled the woman with the intensity of it.
 
Siska knew about the problem of the marriage celebrant, having been informed by Heero the previous evening. "That's wonderful news, Master Duo. I take it that I can continue to plan the buffet then?"
 
"Yup. I'd say it's safe to continue as we'd planned. I'll let you know for sure later tonight once Heero comes home."
 
"Okay then, Master Duo. I'll go back to my duties now." Siska left the young man alone with his happiness.
 
Duo was floating on cloud nine when the computer flashed to let him know he had another e-mail. He quickly opened the new one up, noting it was from Heero and read it. He continued to smile reading what Heero had written. Seemed that he was just as excited as Duo with the prospect of the wedding going ahead again. Heero informed him that he had all the details of the laws pertaining to marriage by a captain and would bring them home with him. He also suggested that they wait until he was home before contacting Howard and approaching him with the request.
 
Duo quickly replied to the e-mail, agreeing to wait until Heero came home before doing anything more. He also sent a quick reply to Sally, thanking her for her help. With the replies sent, Duo shut down the computer and called the dog. "Come on, Miracle, let's go sit outside for a bit and do a little more training.
 
Sensing her master was in a much better mood now, the pup trotted along behind Duo and out to the gardens.
 
***
 
When Heero arrived home that evening he was met by a pregnant, braided whirlwind of excitement. "Did you bring home the information?" Duo asked, his eyes shining when he'd finished kissing his partner senseless.
 
"Hai, I did." Heero bent to pick up his briefcase from where he'd dropped it when Duo had 'attacked' him. "Come through to the kitchen and we can go over it there whilst having dinner."
 
Duo duly followed his lover to the kitchen and while Heero fished the papers out of his briefcase so Duo fetched their dinner, setting the plates down on the table which he'd set earlier. He'd cooked a special dinner for them both, simple but nutritious; chicken, lightly sautéed in an asparagus cream sauce with accompanying vegetables.
 
The aroma tickled Heero's nose. "Mmm... Smells good," said Heero appreciatively.
 
"Thanks." Duo blushed slightly. He wasn't a gourmet cook by any standards but he could cook up a decent meal when he wanted to. "Those the papers?"
 
"Hai." Heero passed the papers over for Duo read and picked up the salt.
 
Duo absently ate his dinner whilst perusing the information, his happiness increasing with each paragraph. Finally he'd finished and dug into the rest of his dinner with gusto.
 
Heero watched, a smile of amusement on his lips. "I suggest we try to contact Howard as soon as we've finished dinner. It would be best to confirm with him as soon as possible and then we know where we're going with the rest of the wedding plans."
 
I'll boot up the computer once the dishes are done, from the last contact I had with him he will be too far out to make contact via vid 'phone," replied Duo around a mouthful of chicken.
 
"When is he due to return to earth's orbit?"
 
"His current run is due to finish by the middle of next week and then he will be returning with a load of metal alloy and some parts to the earth," replied Duo. "So I'd say roughly two and a half to three weeks. He's out just beyond the L5 cluster."
 
"Aa." Heero concentrated on finishing his dinner as quickly as possible. He was just as eager as Duo to contact the Sweeper captain.
 
With dinner over with and the dishes done, both men sat nervously in the office waiting for the computer to finish loading up. The screen changed and Duo hit the e-mail icon. Seconds later his e-mail program came up and he clicked compose. The blank page appeared and Duo typed in Howard's e-mail address, then paused. He looked at Heero who looked back.
 
"What's wrong?" asked Heero.
 
"Umm... What shall I say?"
 
Heero chuckled. "I don't believe that the great Duo Maxwell, renown for being able to talk the hind leg off a donkey, is lost for words."
 
"Yeah, well, shit happens."
 
"Just ask him, Duo."
 
"I can't just write an e-mail saying, 'Hey Howard, you're a captain so please, when you get back to earth come over and marry us', now can I!" it was a statement, not a question.
 
Shaking his head, Heero looked amused. "No, you can't ask him like that, you need to be a little more... diplomatic?"
 
"Where the fuck is Quatre when you need him?"
 
"Look, let's try something like this..."
 
They spent the next hour drafting out a reasonable e-mail to send to Howard and after much changing of words they finally had a decent, short and to the point but without being too short, e-mail to send.
 
"That look okay to you, Heero?"
 
"That looks fine, Duo. Better send it before we find something else to change or add." Heero was getting tired, the mental effort required to write a simple, tactful e-mail having drained the last of his mental capabilities.
 
Before he could change his mind, Duo hit the send button and slumped back in his chair. "Now I guess all we can do is wait."
 
"Let's go watch some television, Howard probably won't reply until at least tomorrow,' said Heero as he stood up and stretched. "Oh, I meant to tell you that Nurse Brown will be moving in this weekend."
 
"What? So soon?"
 
"Like Sally said, the new rosters come into effect on Friday so she can move in whenever. They both thought it best if she moves this weekend."
 
"But today is Wednesday."
 
"I know that."
 
"That only leaves us three days alone together, assuming she's moving in on the Sunday." Duo couldn't help it; he pouted.
 
"Wufei and I will give her a hand to bring her things over on Saturday."
 
"Saturday?"
 
"Is there an echo in here?" asked Heero with an amused smile.
 
Duo poked his tongue out by way of retaliation and snuggled closer to his lover.
 
Heero eased them around so that Duo was half sitting, half lying in his arms. "Comfortable?" he asked as his hand stroked over Duo's belly. He couldn't help it, he was fascinated with the bump that he'd helped to create.
 
"Mmmm..." murmured Duo as his eyes closed in bliss. He loved it when Heero gently caressed his stomach; somehow the gentle touch not only reaffirmed Heero's love for him but also soothed the strained and tired muscles of his body. This pregnancy business was hard work!
 
They remained snuggled together until the movie finished and then Heero took Miracle outside for her evening run and 'toilet' break before locking up and setting all the alarms. Joining Duo in their bed he held his lover close and stroked the rich braid. Feeling Duo's breathing even out as he slipped into slumber, he pressed a soft kiss to the top of Duo's head. "It will all work out, Duo; I promise."
 
***
 
Howard placed his drink down on the table in his small cabin aboard the Sweeper ship 'Defiance'. He turned his computer on in readiness to record the ship's log for the day and smiled when he saw the e-mail icon pop up indicating that he had mail. He minimized the window for the moment, opting to get the log done first. It didn't take long and Howard was soon opening up the e-mail program. "Ahh. What have we here?" he said to himself.
 
He clicked on the e-mail, his eyes widening as he read.
 
<To: Howie
< Mr_Fix_it@salvage.com
 
<From: DMax
< Scythe02@earthside.net.es
 
< Hey Howie,
How are you doing? Giving the dealers the usual run around? All's well on the home front here on Earth. Little 02 is coming along fine with everything progressing as it should, or as normally as one can expect under the circumstances. I'm getting bored shitless as the doc has ordered rest, rest and more rest! Oh, got a new acquisition, a dog. Don't laugh she's a sweet thing and intelligent. Some stupid idiot tied her in a bag and dumped her in the ocean, Quat and I found her half drowned and brought her home. Trowa said he thinks she's a golden retriever, I think she's just wonderful as she keeps me sane with all this resting I'm supposed to be doing. She's smart and learning fast so I spend most of my day's teaching and training her.>
 
Howard smiled to himself as he pictured Duo with a puppy and trying to train it, he had no doubts that Duo would succeed; a dog would be good for the kid. He continued to read, laughing when he got to the bit where Duo confessed that the four of the ex pilots had all failed in their attempts to secure the baby seat into the car and then Wufei's conquering of the thing only to be shot down in flames after it was discovered that he'd found the instructions.
 
The next part of the e-mail though had him sitting bolt upright in his chair and leaning close to the screen. He blinked and then blinked again. A lump found its way to his throat and his breathing became a little strained as he reread the words.
 
< Howie, as you know Heero proposed to me and we're planning the wedding now for hopefully four weeks time, roughly October 15th. We've had a major set back though in the planning and hope that you can help us out. With my condition being obvious we cannot ask a priest or celebrant to marry us, there's no one we know in that department that we can trust. Sally did some research for us, I've attached the information for you, and it appears that captains of ships have the power to marry couples.
 
< Howie, I know I'm asking a huge favor here, but it means the world to both Heero and myself; would you please do the honors and marry us? It won't be hard as Heero and I are writing our own vows so it's just a case of following a rough guideline for the ceremony that can be found in the attachment I sent. You've already agreed to attend the wedding and I can't think of anyone else I'd like more than you to perform the ceremony. Please read the attachment and let me know as soon as possible if you will do this for me so I know whether to continue with the wedding plans or cancel the whole thing.
 
Thanks Howie.
 
See you soon.
Regards,
Duo. >
 
Howard clicked on the attachment icon and read the information there. It was all pretty simple and easy to follow. He stroked his beard and leaned back in his chair, contemplating the whole idea. Duo was like a son to him and he loved the boy dearly. He looked over the attachment again and then with his mind made up, he hit the reply button.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc....