Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Chimaera ❯ Chapter 86 ( Chapter 86 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Please see previous chapters for notes, disclaimers etc.
 
"Chimaera"
 
By ShenLong.
 
 
Chapter 86
 
Morning came and Duo made a beeline for the computer, booting it up and waiting impatiently for his e-mail program to come on line. When it finally did he clicked immediately on the in-box and scanned the messages he'd received. There was nothing from Howard. Disappointed, he shut the computer down and wandered through to the kitchen where Heero was making breakfast.
 
Seeing the dejected look on Duo's face, Heero took his lover into his arms and kissed him soundly, rubbing soothing circles over Duo's back. "It's too soon for an e-mail from Howard, Duo. I doubt if we will hear anything back from him before the afternoon."
 
"I guess so, but..." Duo shrugged his shoulders. "One can always hope."
 
"Howard will reply just as soon as he can, Duo."
 
"I know and I'm sorry."
 
"Don't apologize, I know how important this is to you, Duo. It's important to me too and I want to know Howard's answer just as much as you do, but there's nothing we can do for the moment. Worrying yourself over it won't make the reply come any faster."
 
"You're right, of course," replied Duo as he rested his head in the crook of Heero's shoulder.
 
"The best thing to do is keep yourself busy, and I don't mean by doing anything strenuous either. Why don't you work out which room would be best for Nurse Brown to use whilst she's staying here and maybe do a little dusting or tidying up for her? Only promise me you will rest frequently."
 
Duo nodded. "Okay. I also need to do some more training with Miracle so that should keep me occupied."
 
"Good. Now, sit down and have your breakfast."
 
"I'm really not all that hungry, Heero."
 
"Then just eat what you feel comfortable with."
 
Duo gave his partner a soft smile and tried to regain his usual happy nature but it seemed determined to escape him today. He sat and ate a slice of toast, he really didn't want anything but if he didn't eat something then he knew Heero would be on his case and go to work worrying about him and he didn't want Heero to be distracted on his account. The cup of sweet tea was more welcome than the toast that seemed to sit heavily in his stomach. He could feel the familiar nausea building up but managed to keep it at bay until Heero was ready to depart for work.
 
Standing on the step and waving his lover off, Duo quickly turned back to the house and headed for the toilet to pay his respects. He thought he'd finished with this morning sickness a couple of months ago, seemed like it was going to make a second assault on his body. Groaning slightly, he flushed the toilet, rinsed his mouth and brushed his teeth. He felt a little better afterwards and whilst he had the energy he decided to do what Heero had suggested and figure out which room to put Nurse Brown in.
 
***
 
"Sit. Good girl." Duo patted the dog and fed her a treat. "Now, lie down."
 
Miracle wagged her tail.
 
"Lie down." Duo gently took the pup's front paws and pulled them forward, causing the dog to lie down. "Good girl." Another pat and another treat.
 
Duo continued with his training of the dog for another fifteen minutes before deciding that they'd both had enough. He was pleased with the way Miracle was coming along. She'd learnt the commands 'sit' and 'stay' pretty quickly. Now Duo was trying to teach her to lie down and also to walk to heel. The lie down bit was coming gradually but he was having trouble with the 'heel' bit.
 
Heero had bought him a couple of books on caring for and training a dog and Duo had read them from cover to cover, eagerly devouring the information. He'd begun to follow the methods outlined in the book, breaking the training periods down into two or three a day and no longer than thirty minutes each session. He'd placed the lead on Miracle's collar and tried to teach her to walk with him. At first the pup had resisted, planting her bottom firmly on the ground and refusing to budge. Duo's persistence though had paid off and along with lavish praise and lots of treats, Miracle finally accepted the collar and lead and would happily walk with Duo. However, getting her to understand the command 'heel' was a whole new ball game and Duo was beginning to despair of ever teaching the pup the command.
 
He sighed and gave the dog another pat. "Come on, I don't know about you but I could do with a coffee and a little comfort food."
 
Miracle trotted off towards the house quite happily, as they entered the house so Duo headed straight for the freezer and the tub of Crunchie ice cream he knew was inside. The kettle boiled and he made himself a coffee to accompany the large bowl of ice cream then took the bowl and mug through to the lounge room to sit and watch a little television whilst he ate.
 
Once he'd finished, Duo cleaned up and glanced at the clock. It was nearly three. Heero would be home in a couple of hours. Duo smiled at the thought of his lover and that turned his mind back to the wedding. He sighed and then decided he'd check the e-mail again. Miracle followed him through to the office and curled up at Duo's feet whilst her master booted up the computer.
 
Duo waited patiently for the machine to connect and bring up his e-mail. He wasn't expecting to see a reply, Howard probably wouldn't send a message back until the evening, despite what Heero had said about it being more likely to be the afternoon. It took him by surprise then to see he had mail, and it was from Howard. With shaking fingers, he pressed the mouse button and clicked on 'read'.
 
<To: DMax
< Scythe02@earthside.net.es
 
<From: Howie
< Mr_Fix_it@salvage.com
 
<Hey kid,
Thanks for the e-mail. Nice to catch up on all your news. No, I'm not driving the dealers mad, this run isn't too bad and we should be on our way back in a couple of days. I expect to be earth side around the 10th of October. Glad to hear that everything is okay with little 02 and you make sure to listen to Doc Po. If she say's to rest then you'd better rest, I don't trust that woman, she has a sadistic streak in her that can spell trouble with a capital T that won't bode well for you if you ignore her orders. Remember; she's on the blunt end of the needle.
Dog sounds like it will be good for you; they're a great companion as long as they're treated right. Knowing you it will be spoilt rotten.
Sounds like you had quite an ordeal with that seat, wish I could have been there to see it. *grin* Fancy Chang being the one to get it in, even if he did cheat with the instructions. You need to tell Heero to be more careful where he puts his paperwork in future. I'd say you've frightened 03 and 04 off for good!
 
I'll bet you're jumping around in your seat wondering why I'm rambling on and not getting to the bit you really want to know.>
 
Duo shook his head as he read that line. Yes, he was twitching in his seat with anticipation, wondering exactly when Howard would get to the main point.
 
< Guess I really should put you out of your misery. Nice to get a little of my own back though after some of the pranks you pulled on me in the past. *smile*
I read the attachment you sent and I've given the matter a great deal of thought and here is my decision...
 
Of course I will preside over the ceremony for you and marry the two of you. I'd be honored to perform the ceremony and I'm pleased as well as flattered that you would ask me to. You said that Heero and yourself were writing your own vows? Correct? That would be good. I'll go back through the ceremony outlines and details and I'll come up with a slightly shorter version for you if you like. I'll send you a copy of what I propose and see what you and Heero think of it. We can make any changes or modifications you want. Send me any suggestions and I'll work from there.
Gotta go now, work is pressing. Hit me back and let me know your thoughts and ideas.
Take care of yourself, Duo, and I'll be in touch soon.
Regards
Howard. >
 
Duo wasn't aware that his face was wet with tears until Miracle whined and put her paw on his knee, obviously concerned about him. He hastily wiped his eyes and searched for a tissue to blow his nose on. Feeling a little more in control he sat back and read the e-mail again just be sure that he wasn't dreaming the whole thing.
 
Howard had said he would marry them...
 
He was going to get married!
 
To Heero.
 
The smile that formed on his lips grew in size; he'd always dreamt and hoped that one day he would marry and have children of his own. Once he'd discovered his sexual preferences though he began to doubt the having children part, now it looked like his dreams were going to come true after all. "I'm going to get married, Miracle," he told the dog as he petted her head. "Heero and I are actually going to be legally married."
 
Miracle wagged her tail. She didn't have a clue what her master was saying but it must be something good judging by the tone of his voice and the happiness she could sense radiating off him.
 
Duo looked down at his swollen abdomen and caressed the skin. "You won't be born out of wedlock," he murmured to the child. "You'll have two parents, happily married to greet you when you come into this world."
 
As if understanding what Duo was saying, the little baby pushed lightly against Duo's insides; it wasn't painful, more like a caress, something to let Duo know that the baby had heard.
 
Chuckling to himself, Duo turned back to the keyboard and sent an e-mail to Heero. He couldn't wait until his partner returned home, he had to share the news now. With the e-mail sent, Duo turned to gaze at the magazines scattered about and picked up his note book with the wedding plans in it. He flipped a few of the pages and grinned. "Looks like I can get back to planning this shin dig once more."
 
"Wuff!" agreed Miracle.
 
Duo laughed and began to search for wedding invitations that he thought Heero would like and pondering the thought of asking Trowa to make the wedding cake... Out of Crunchie bars.
 
***
 
When Heero heard the chime on his computer indicating he had mail, he clicked on it curiously. He wasn't expecting anything. When he saw who it was from his pulse quickened and his stomach gave a lurch. Duo didn't usually e-mail him at work unless there was something wrong. With his heart in his mouth he clicked the mouse and opened the e-mail.
 
"Something wrong, Yuy?"
 
Heero looked up to see Wufei standing in the doorway. "Iie, everything's perfect."
 
"You sure?" asked Wufei in concern as he entered the office. "If there's nothing wrong then why are you crying?"
 
"I'm crying?"
 
"Yes, you are." Wufei was becoming a little exasperated.
 
"So I am," stated Heero as he brushed his hand across his eyes.
 
"Yuy, what the hell is going on?" Wufei pulled what was Duo's chair over and sat down in it facing the agent. "Is something wrong with Maxwell?"
 
"Chang. I'm getting married."
 
"Yes, I know that."
 
"No, I mean, I'm really getting married, to Duo."
 
"You've already told me that, Yuy. You proposed before the assignment and Maxwell accepted."
 
"I know that, Chang. But now it's official, Duo... He just e-mailed me. Wufei, I'm getting married."
 
"Howard has replied?" Wufei knew about the complication, Sally had told him the previous day.
 
"Hai." The tears of happiness continued to run unchecked down Heero's face.
 
"May I?" Wufei asked as he nodded to the computer and e-mail.
 
Heero turned the screen around so that Wufei could read the message from Duo.
 
"Yuy, that's excellent news. May I be the first to offer my best wishes." Wufei extended his hand and Heero shook it.
 
"Thank you, Wufei."
 
"Here," said Wufei as he passed Heero the box of tissues. "Clean yourself up a bit and then go tell Sally the news, I'm sure she will want to know."
 
Heero took some of the offered tissues and after wiping his face and blowing his nose, he set off for the medical wing and Sally.
 
***
 
Sally was just as excited as Heero when he gave her the news and grabbed the agent in a bear hug. "That's wonderful news, Heero. I'm so happy for you both."
 
"Arigato. It wouldn't have been possible if not for you, Sally. I don't know how to thank you, words don't seem enough."
 
Sally gave Heero a light punch to the shoulder. "No thanks necessary, Heero. I'm just happy I was able to help."
 
"Is this a private hug session or can anyone join in?"
 
Both Heero and Sally turned around at the sound of the voice.
 
"Oh, Margaret, wonderful news. Heero has just heard from Duo and the wedding is on again. Howard will be presiding over the ceremony." Sally couldn't help the broad smile she wore.
 
"That's great. I was hoping he would be able to. Congratulations, Agent Day." Nurse Brown extended her hand but was surprised when Heero gave her a hug instead. She smiled though and accepted the warmth. "You be sure to give that partner of yours my best wishes too," she said as Heero released her and stepped back.
 
"I will," Heero returned and then remembered about the nurse's moving in. "I spoke to Duo last night about your joining us at home and this weekend will be fine if you're ready. Chang and I will come over on the Saturday, if that's convenient, and move whatever you want to bring with you over to the house. Duo is picking out a room for you today that he thinks will be suitable. If you're not happy with his choice feel free to select any one of the other rooms."
 
"Thank you, Agent Day."
 
"Call me Heero, please."
 
"Thank you, Heero." Nurse Brown tried out the name and found it rolled easily off her tongue. "Saturday will be fine, shall we say around eleven?"
 
"Eleven it is."
 
"I don't have a lot of things to bring, mostly clothing and a few knick knacks, oh, and Barney of course."
 
"Duo is looking forward to meeting this Barney of yours," said Heero with a chuckle.
 
"Yes, well... I'll warn you, Barney is a cheeky bird. He's just learning to talk but he's sweet and won't peck or scratch at you, in fact, he's very friendly," replied Nurse Brown.
 
"Does he like dogs?" asked Heero, "as Duo has acquired a pup."
 
"I don't know to be honest, he's never seen a dog that I know of," replied the nurse, her brow furrowed in thought.
 
"Only one way to find out, I suppose," stated Sally. "And that's to introduce the pair."
 
"And wait for the fur and feathers to fly," mused Heero.
 
"I certainly hope it doesn't come to that," said Nurse Brown.
 
"I'm sure it won't," Sally said as she patted the nurse's arm.
 
"Well, I had better get back to my rounds. I'll see you on Saturday, young man." Nurse Brown turned and left to go back to her rounds of the hospital.
 
"I have to get back to work too, Heero. But, it's all good news, congratulations again."
 
"Arigato." Heero looked at his watch. "I'd better get back and finish up this report then I can go home to Duo. I'll talk to you later, Sally." Heero turned and left the infirmary, Sally's eyes watched him go, a smile of happiness on her lips.
 
***
 
"Duo? You home?" called Heero as he let himself into the mansion. He frowned, usually Duo was there to meet him when he got home from work, eager to hear all the news from HQ and fill him in on what he'd done that day. "Duo?" he called again.
 
Miracle came trotting up to meet him and he bent to pat the dog's head. "Where's Duo, girl?" A cold feeling of dread was beginning to infiltrate Heero's gut.
 
Miracle wagged her tail and turned around. She began to pad back down the hall but stopped when she noted that her other master wasn't following. She turned to look back at Heero and gave a small whine.
 
Heero looked at the dog. "You know where Duo is?"
 
Miracle didn't understand the words but she knew the routine that her two masters shared when the one came back from wherever it was he disappeared to each day. She wagged her tail and gave another soft whine.
 
"Take me to Duo, girl." Heero began to follow the dog, the feeling of dread growing stronger all the time.
 
Miracle turned and trotted back along the hall again, this time the other master followed.
 
Heero walked after the pup as she led him through the hall and towards the study. He hesitated in the doorway, hoping that Duo was all right. Stepping inside a smile found his lips. Duo was still sitting in the chair in front of the computer screen, the screen saver playing across. His head was leaning back, body slumped in the chair and soft snores coming from his mouth. In his limp hand he held a sheet of paper.
 
Quietly Heero walked across and gently removed the piece of paper from lax fingers; he took a look at it and shook his head softly. It was a wedding invitation.
 
"Hey, 'Ro. You're home." Duo's sleepy voice broke the silence.
 
"Hai, I'm home." Heero bent to give his lover a tender kiss. "Been busy?"
 
"Mmm..." Duo began to shift in the chair and rub his eyes. "Must'a dozed off for a bit." Duo yawned and stretched. "Ow, damn neck," he cursed as he rubbed at the back of his neck where it had stiffened and kinked with the position he'd fallen asleep in.
 
Heero moved behind his lover, dropped the paper to the table and slid his hands to Duo's shoulders and neck where he began to massage the sore muscles. "That better?"
 
"Ahhh... Feels really good, Heero." Duo slumped slightly and let his partner work over the sore muscles. "You get my e-mail?"
 
"Yes, I did. It's great news."
 
"I thought so too. Finally, Heero, we're going to be married." Duo couldn't keep the excitement out of his voice.
 
Heero moved and gently eased Duo out of the chair, then he took up Duo's position in the chair and pulled his lover to his lap. Wrapping an arm around Duo's shoulder and placing the other one around Duo's waist, or as far around his waist as he could, he let Duo's head rest on his shoulder and gently ran his hand up and down Duo's arm whilst his other hand caressed the bump. "Have I told you lately how much I love you?"
 
Duo snuggled closer, enjoying the intimacy. "Only about five times this morning and once this afternoon," he replied.
 
Heero kissed the top of Duo's head. "I mean it, you know. I do love you, Duo, with all my heart and soul."
 
"I know you do, Heero, and I love you too." Duo swallowed the lump in his throat. "Want to see Howard's e-mail?"
 
"Love to."
 
Duo shifted slightly as Heero swiveled the chair so Duo could reach the key board. The e-mail came up and Heero read it, smiling to himself. "I'd suggest we draft out something we would like following the basic ceremony in the attachment that Sally gave us, see what Howard comes up with and then work the two in together to give us something we are all happy with."
 
"That sounds like a good idea to me," replied Heero. "Have you e-mailed him back?"
 
"Not yet. I wanted to wait until you got home first and see what you thought before I did."
 
"Okay. Look, you e-mail Howard now and let him know what we think and what you propose as far as the ceremony goes. I'll go start cooking dinner."
 
"Aww... That means I have to move and I'm comfortable," pouted Duo.
 
Chuckling softly Heero pressed a series of kisses over the top of Duo's head and then one to the tip of his lover's nose. "I'll cuddle with you some more after dinner."
 
"Promise?"
 
"I promise."
 
~ * ~
 
tbc.....