Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Equinity ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier, ne?

 

Rating: NC 17

 

Warnings: Sap, angst, yaoi, Lemon, AU, OOC

 

Pairing: 2x1

 

Summary: Heero is a successful up and coming Showjumping rider with his promising new horse Zero. A fall at a show renders the animal injured and it is up to Duo Maxwell the new vet to treat the horse.

 

Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for this fic. *huggles* This one's for you hun!

 

Many thanks to my betas Yami_Tai and Ryouga.

 

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

http://www.templeofthegoddess.com/files/gwyaoi.html

 

Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.

 

Many thanks to Yami_tai for the title! *hugs*

 

 

" Equinity "

 

October 2004 ShenLong

 

 

Chapter 10

 

Heero gave a sigh and pushed back from the desk. His shoulders ached and throbbed to the point where he couldn't tell which was the fractured one. His hand had begun to cramp up and his eyesight blurred from time to time; but at least the Fletcher account was finished. He looked up at the clock. Twelve thirty five. He picked up the folder and stood, checking one last time that he had everything in there before heading out of his office and to where his boss waited. He stopped outside Mr Donaldson's door and shuffled the folder in his hand so he could knock on the door. He waited but no answer was forthcoming. He knocked again. He caught a movement from the corner of his eye and turned his head to see Cindy, Donaldson's secretary walking towards him.

 

"If you're looking for Mr. Donaldson, he's out to lunch, Heero."

 

Heero's face contorted into a scowl.

 

"He should be back by one thirty if that's any help, or is there something I can do for you?"

 

"He asked me to have this account finished and on his desk by one o'clock. The client is waiting for it." Heero couldn't help the tinge of anger in his voice as his expression clouded.

 

"You can leave it with me if you like, Heero. I'll pop it on his desk and let him know it's there as soon as he gets back," replied Cindy, the obvious annoyance in Heero's voice going straight over her head.

 

Heero contemplated the folder in his hand for a moment then handed it over. "Arigato. Tell him it's the Fletcher account. If he has a problem with it, don't bother to come and see me, I'm out to lunch."

 

"Huh?" The secretary clearly looked bewildered.

 

"Never mind. Thank you." Heero turned on his heel and walked back down the hall to his office. He resisted the urge to slam the door, closing it a little more forcefully though than usual. He slumped back into his chair and his stomach growled, reminding him that it wanted to be fed. Normally Heero brought his lunch with him to the office and sat either in the staff lunch room or his office to eat. Today though with the extra time spent dressing for work due to his injury he hadn't had time to make himself anything to eat and breakfast had been sketchy, a fact his stomach was reminding him of... loudly. "Ah, fuck it!" he swore. "Fuck, Donaldson, fuck the Fletcher account, in fact, fuck everything. I'm going to get something to eat," he snarled to the computer screen and checking that he had his wallet, he left his office.

 

Freida looked up as he entered the reception area. "You going somewhere, Heero?"

 

"Lunch," came the curt reply.

 

"But, lunch break is over."

 

"Mine has just started."

 

"Errr..."

 

"Freida, don't." Heero gave the receptionist a small smile by way of apology. "I'm really not in the mood to explain right now, okay?"

 

The young girl nodded and held her tongue.

 

"Thank you." Heero headed once more for the front doors to the building.

 

"What shall I tell any of your callers, or the boss if he wants you?"

 

"Take messages from the callers; as for the boss... Tell him I went insane and they came to take me away," Heero threw over his shoulder as he exited.

 

Freida sat and watched him go, an amused smile on her face.

 

Heero walked out of the building and down the short street to the main thoroughfare of the town. There were plenty of sidewalk cafes scattered along the strip, intermingled with a few restaurants, shops and a set of golden arches. Heero walked into the first cafe he found and took a seat at the rear. He picked up the menu and glanced through it, trying to select something that would fill the hole in his stomach and could be eaten with only one hand.

 

He settled on a ham and salad sandwich.

 

When the waitress took his order he had to swallow his pride and ask to have the sandwich cut into four pieces, there was no way he would be able to pick it up and eat it without losing most of the contents if it was only cut in two. His short black arrived after a minute or so and the sandwich shortly after. As he ate, so Heero let his mind wander back to Duo and Zero. He wondered how Zero was this morning, hopefully coping much better than he was. He checked his watch, this time yesterday he'd been heading down to the surgery with Duo to help the vet with the cat spay. He wondered if Duo had any operations booked in for today. He also wondered if Duo was missing him as much as he was missing the vet.

 

Sipping on the coffee and feeling the caffeine start to kick in, Heero suddenly remembered his cell 'phone. He could give Duo a call and see how his horse was, oh, and casually ask after Duo as well. He grinned and pulled his cell from his pocket, flipping the thing open, he paused. "Shit! I don't have his number," he muttered to himself. Mentally kicking himself, Heero closed the cell up and dropped it back into his pocket. That was something he would have to rectify when he saw Duo later that evening. Finishing off his lunch, Heero paid the bill and left, stopping at the greengrocer on the way back to pick up a couple of apples for Zero. He figured that his horse could have the treat and to hell with the resulting slobber that was bound to happen seeing as how Zero was convalescing. At least one of them could be happy.

 

As Heero walked back into the office his dark mood returned. One look at Freida's face told him Donaldson was on the warpath. He raised an eyebrow at her. She shook her head, put her finger over her lip and then pointed down the hall in the direction of Donaldson's office.

 

Heero nodded and slunk down the hall to his own office, hiding the apples in his desk drawer, pulling up the accounting program and starting work on his next account as quickly as he could, attempting to look as if he'd been working away for a while. He knew that Donaldson would come looking for him soon enough, he also knew the outcome probably wouldn't be pretty either.

 

He was right.

 

***

 

Duo managed to get the washing on the line, swallow some fruit and wash the worst of Zero's slobber from his bangs in record time. It was only a temporary wash, he would do his hair properly later, right now, he didn't have the time. He shot up the small connecting pathway and entered the surgery through the back door. Grabbing his white coat from the back of the consulting room door, he shrugged it on as he opened up the small reception area and fired up the computer. Draping the stethoscope around his neck he was unlocking the door and turning the small sign around to read 'open' as the small 'Garfield' novelty clock he had on the waiting room wall chimed nine thirty. No one was waiting on his doorstep so Duo went back behind the reception area and tried to sort through some of his accounts.

 

Fifteen minutes later he was rescued from the obnoxious machine when a client arrived with a kitten for its vaccinations. The small cat was duly stuck with the needle, meowed piteously and was rewarded by lots of cuddles from its owner. Returning to the reception area, Duo wrote out the receipt and placed the cash in the cash box before attending to his next client. The morning passed fairly quickly with a steady stream of clients. He swabbed out an abscess on a dog's leg, vaccinated a puppy, diagnosed a viral infection in a rabbit, trimmed a budgie's beak and confirmed a pregnancy in a cat. He also took two more bookings for dog sterilizations later that week and received a call out for the afternoon to see a cow with mastitis. All in all it was a very productive morning.

 

Closing the door after the last client, Duo quickly tidied up the consulting room and stacked all the clients files in a neat pile on the desk. He really should load them all into the computer whilst the cases were still fresh in his mind. He looked at the computer and then at the files. With a sigh he picked up the first one; hopefully, he would be done in an hour and could go do some grocery shopping. He'd arranged to see the cow at three that afternoon on his way back from the store and had been quite pleased with himself for being organized for once.

 

Fifteen minutes later, Duo was still struggling with the computer that seemed to take great pleasure in losing files, causing data to disappear once he'd saved it and generally being an annoying piece of machinery. If he didn't need the thing for his practice, Duo was tempted to give it the 'green dream'. [1] At least his patients only tried to bite, claw or kick him occasionally, not fry his brain or test his patience like this hunk of metal, wires and circuits. He wondered what would happen if he were to perform a lobotomy on the thing.

 

Duo slammed his hand down on the desk growling at the screen when a file he'd saved moments ago refused to return. "That's it!" he snarled at the computer. "I've had it with you. You can rust in hell for all I care! I've a good mind to flog you off to the pawn broker." He hit a couple of commands on the key board and the screen changed... It came up blue with an error message on it.

 

"Aggggghhhhhh!" Duo cried as he hit the enter key. The screen changed, went black and then... nothing. "You useless, fucking, heap of wires and sparks!" ranted Duo as he realized the system had crashed on him. He viciously stabbed at the computer's power switch to turn the thing off but it wouldn't turn off, it hummed away happily, black screen staring back at Duo. Resisting the urge to tear out his hair, Duo eyed the power point on the wall and with a triumphant smirk, turned it off. Instantly the room was quiet, the humming ceased then there was a small click from the screen as it tried to resurrect itself before giving a hiccup and resigning itself to its fate. "I'll sort you out later," Duo muttered under his breath, "With a scalpel if necessary." He turned and stalked from the room, along the hall way and out the back door of the surgery building, locking it securely after himself.

 

After swallowing a quick bite of lunch, checking on Zero and refilling the horse's haynet, Duo double checked the contents of his trunk, making sure he had the necessary drugs on board to treat the cow and then climbed behind the wheel. Moments later he was on the road and heading for the small store in the town center, mentally running a shopping list through his head. He parked the car close to the store and checked it was locked and the alarm system working. He'd been pleased to note that Heero had a car alarm fitted to the vehicle. He also had one on his own car; it was a necessity really, considering he carried drugs in the trunk. Not that it would stop anyone determined enough to want to pinch any drugs, but it was certainly a deterrent.

 

He headed into the store, cursing himself for not having stopped for five minutes to write out a list of things he needed. He thought he would have learnt by now, having made this error before. If he didn't make out a list he invariably forgot something; last time it had been the salt, the time before that, toilet paper. For someone with a brilliant mind, he occasionally lacked common sense in everyday things. Picking up a basket he began his trek down the first aisle, he opted for a basket as opposed to a trolley, the trolley was larger and he could put more in it, thus tempting himself to buy things he didn't need and spend money he could ill afford; also trolley's had a habit of sending all four wheels in different directions, that's assuming they had four wheels to start with. After his last fiasco with a stubborn trolley that had seen him run up the back of a portly woman only to ricochet off into the pyramid display of canned baked beans, he'd not shown his face in the supermarket for two months. He wondered if the junior storeman had forgiven him yet.

 

Wandering along the aisles he began to fill his basket, most things he could remember but when he got into the meat section he paused. Heero was dropping by after work to see his horse and Duo didn't know if the man would want to stay for dinner or if he had other plans. Come to think of it, Duo didn't have a clue what Heero liked to eat. At least he knew he wasn't a vegetarian, not after yesterday's meals. With a sigh, Duo selected a tray of steak, some chicken and a couple of pork cutlets. He placed them into the basket and aimed for the fruit and vegetable section, a glance at his watch told him he'd better hurry up or he would be late for his appointment with the cow so he quickly selected some vegetables and with his basket now full, headed for the checkout.

 

The young slip of a girl behind the register scanned his purchases through and dropped them into bags, flirting outrageously with Duo whilst she did so. Duo did his best to ignore the blatant attempts at picking him up, smiling sweetly but rebuffing the girl as he did. Finally she was finished and Duo paid for the groceries, picked up the bags and went back out to the car. The bags were loaded onto the back seat and Duo was once more on the road.

 

***

 

"Yuy!"

 

Heero looked up as the door to his office slammed open and his boss walked in, his face clouded.

 

"Yes, Mr. Donaldson?"

 

"Where the hell have you been?"

 

"I've been here working, sir."

 

"Don't try that innocent crap with me. I told you to have the Fletcher account on my desk for one."

 

"I did, sir. I brought it down to your office at precisely twelve thirty seven, you were out to lunch so I gave it to your secretary to pass on to you. Didn't she give it to you?" Heero could feel his own anger rising and fought to remain in control.

 

Donaldson faltered for a moment then took a breath and resumed his attack. "Yes, she has now, but that's not the point. I came back from lunch and it wasn't on my desk, I came to find you to see where it was and I couldn't find you either. You know the lunch break is from twelve until twelve thirty, Yuy!"

 

"I know that, Mr Donaldson; but, I worked through the lunch break to get that report finished for you and on your desk by the requested time. Once it was finished I took my lunch break. I only took the designated half an hour and was back here in my office by one ten."

 

"Not good enough, Yuy! Not only are you tardy but your standard of dress is lacking, you're badly behind in your work and now you're taking lunch breaks when you feel like it. This is a respectable company, Yuy, and I will not see it brought down because you insist on being lazy and allowing your outside life to intrude on your work."

 

"I have never let my outside life affect my job, Mr Donaldson," Heero growled, his anger beginning to get the better of him.

 

"Then how do you explain your absence yesterday? Your standard of dress today? Your slowness with your work? I suppose this is all a figment of my imagination?"

 

Heero had to remind himself that you got twenty five years for murder. "This was an unfortunate accident, *sir*. It has never happened before and it's unlikely it will happen again."

 

"Damn right it won't happen again."

 

"Sir, if I may remind you of Peterson who broke his arm whilst playing cricket last year? He was unable to work to full capacity for eight weeks but no one told him he had to give up his hobby," Heero all but snapped.

 

"That was at the other branch and nothing to do with me. Besides, cricket is a decent sport, this business of flouncing around in tights on the back of a smelly beast isn't sport, that's just being ridiculous and giving men a bad name."

 

"How dare you!"

 

Donaldson's head jerked in surprise and then his brows knitted together. "Don't you take that tone with me, Yuy. I'm your boss and as such you will show me the respect I deserve. I have a business to run and I expect my employees to all pull their weight. You are not doing that. So far two of your accounts are behind schedule and there are another three you should have started today. Next week we are going to be flat out with all the end of year audits for our regular clients and I need to be able to rely on my staff to do their jobs... You are only performing at fifty percent and all because of some ridiculous animal fetish. I can't afford to have my staff unable to do their jobs because they persist in pursuing ludicrous pastimes. Get rid of the thing, Yuy. You'll never have any money or a decent girlfriend whilst wallowing around in horse shit."

 

Fortunately Heero was still sitting down, if he hadn't have been then no doubt he would have fallen, he was shaking so much with suppressed rage. "How dare you!" he repeated and fixed his boss with cold, blue eyes. "Firstly; whatever I do outside working hours is my own business and nothing to do with you. Secondly; Showjumping is not a ridiculous sport, in fact it is one of the hardest and most competitive sports out there because you are dealing with a living, breathing creature. Yes, they can be unpredictable; yes, falls and accidents do happen but fortunately most of the time neither party is injured. This is the first time I have suffered from a serious injury from a fall and I am doing my best to cope with that. Thirdly; I am doing the best I can here to keep up with my work. I had intended to take some home with me tonight to do so that I don't fall behind but after your comments I don't think I want to. I am entitled to a lunch break under the Accountancy award and if I work through the scheduled break to get a job finished by a dead line then I am entitled to take my break as soon as conveniently possible."

 

Heero began to stand and lean over his desk towards Donaldson who was starting to turn a few interesting shades of purple. "If you want me to show you some respect as my boss then I think you need to take a good look at yourself first and how you treat your staff. Respect needs to be earned, as does trust and I'm afraid you have given me no incentive whatsoever to give you either." Heero's face was centimeters away from his boss's as he spat the last words.

 

"Why you insolent little shit! I've a good mind to report you to Mr. Browning for that. You've certainly just kissed goodbye any chance you ever had of promotion through the company, Yuy. As for your work, I think you should concentrate on getting it done as quickly as possible, one arm or not, I expect you to keep up with the schedule, this company can't afford to employ slackers."

 

"I am not, nor have I ever been a slacker, Mr. Donaldson," Heero growled through clenched teeth. "I said I had intended to take work home with me so as not to fall behind, but..."

 

Donaldson raised an eyebrow.

 

"Now I don't think I want to."

 

"I'm warning you, Yuy. I won't tolerate insubordination from you. I'd be careful what you say to me, or else..."

 

"Or else what, Mr Donaldson? You'll fire me?"

 

"Remember those were your words, not mine, Yuy."

 

"Don't bother. I'll save you the trouble; I quit, effective immediately. I have better things to do with my time than work with assholes."

 

"Why you..."

 

"Can it, asshole. I don't need this shit from you or anyone else. I can easily get another job, I'm a good accountant."

 

"I'll put the word out on you, Yuy. You won't be able to get a job picking up shit by the time I'm done."

 

"I'll also be letting Mr Browning know of the reasons behind my resignation, as well as informing him of the dick head they have in charge of this branch."

 

Donaldson began to pale.

 

"I'm sure Mr Browning will be pleased to hear what's going on in this branch, just exactly how you treat the staff here."

 

"Empty threats, Yuy. You have nothing to back you," snarled Donaldson.

 

"Don't I?" smirked Heero. "I guess you're just going to have to wait to find out."

 

Donaldson began to splutter but Heero wasn't listening. He knew he could get some of the other staff to back him but he really didn't want to drag them into this mess if he could help it, better to leave them out of it. The small tape recorder that he kept in his drawer for recording memos to himself on should have taped enough of the conversation to be a valuable asset without the need to get his coworkers involved.

 

"Is there anything else you wanted, *Mr. Donaldson*?" Heero made sure to put sarcasm into his tone. "If not then I would appreciate you leaving my office so I can collect my things and depart."

 

"You can't just up and leave like that, what about the Sanderson account? The Walkerdon account, and not to mention the audits for the regulars?"

 

"Too bad. Do them yourself."

 

"Now listen here..."

 

"NO! You listen, asshole. I don't have to put up with this shit and I won't. I quit! Resign, finito, end of story. Do you understand or is that too much for your tiny pea brain to comprehend? You know something, Donaldson? My horse has more intelligence and character in his shit than you do in your entire body, now get the fuck out of my office!"

 

Donaldson began to back up towards the door, his face was red with anger but he'd cut off his nose to spite his face. "Fine! Pack your shit, get out and don't show your face around here again. I'll be informing Mr Browning of your attitude and you can rest assured you won't be getting any reference, severance pay or anything else, you little prick."

 

Heero opened his desk drawer and took out the small recorder that was still going. He waved it at Donaldson. "Thank you for all the evidence. I'm sure Mr. Browning as well as the Accountants board will be interested in this little conversation."

 

"You what?"

 

Heero's eyes narrowed dangerously. "Get out! Get out of my office now before I forcibly remove you, you sorry excuse for a human being," he snarled.

 

Donaldson turned and as he went to leave so he realized they had an audience. He'd left the door open when he'd come in earlier to tackle Yuy and their raised voices must have attracted the rest of the staff. Now most of the building was gathered outside the door, all staring with wide eyes and shocked expressions. Donaldson glanced around at them before barking. "What the hell are you lot doing standing there? Don't you have work to do?" the group quickly dispersed and Donaldson went back to his own office to try to figure out how the hell he could salvage his career that was soon to be in tatters.

 

Heero sighed and slumped into his seat. What the hell had possessed him to lose his temper like that? Now he had no job, no income and not a clue as to how he would survive. But, he couldn't deny that it had felt good finally being able to tell Donaldson exactly what he thought of him. He knew he would get retribution, all he had to do was present the taped evidence to Mr Browning and the Accountancy board, but it would take a while for the wheels of justice to set in motion. His bank account wasn't overly comfortable but he should have enough to tide him over for a month or so. He'd have to get himself another job though; and soon.

 

Packing the last of his things into his briefcase, Heero grabbed the two apples from the drawer, shut down the computer and took one last look around the office. He was sad to leave but it was necessary. He couldn't work there any longer, not under these circumstances. He stepped outside the door and closed it behind him. Picking up his briefcase he began the trek along the hall way for the last time, surprised when other staff members came out to wish him goodbye and good luck, many congratulating him on standing up to the ogre of a boss.

 

Freida was particularly sweet. She gave him a hug and made him promise to look after himself. "If you need anyone to back you up, Heero, you can count on me. I know what that asshole is like."

 

"Thanks, Freida but I'll try to get this all sorted out without having to involve any of you guys," replied Heero, touched by the concern and support from his fellow workers.

 

"Just remember we are here if you need us, okay?"

 

"I will." Heero picked up his briefcase once again and exited the building. He climbed into the car, buckled up the seat belt and started the engine. Then he realized he didn't have a clue where he was going to go or what he was going to do. He sat for a moment contemplating his options then decided he needed a stiff drink. Putting the car into 'Drive' he headed for the local tavern and a scotch with his name on it.

 

***

 

Duo slipped his hand gently over the cow's udder, feeling the heat and swelling. "Poor girl," he soothed and dodged as the cow tried to kick him. He straightened up, resting one hand on the cow's shaggy backside and turned to look at the farmer. "It's certainly mastitis, Mr. Fenwick. When did you first notice it?" Duo moved away from the cow and towards the car to retrieve the drugs he'd need to help the cow.

 

"I spotted it this mornin' when I was bringin' 'em in fer milkin'. She damn near kicked me arm off when I tried to put the milkin' machine on 'er."

 

Duo chuckled. "I've no doubts about that, Mr. Fenwick. She's very tender but this will soon fix her up." Duo raised the bottle and drew back the required amount into the syringe. Tossing the bottle back into the boot, he picked up a swab and went back to the cow, clipping a patch of hair on the neck and after swabbing, inserting the needle and depressing the plunger sending the drug into the animal's system. "That drug should kick in and start to work in about an hour, she'll feel much better by this evening. I'll stop by tomorrow afternoon and check her again. She may need a repeat dose but usually they're okay with the one."

 

"Thank you, young man."

 

"You're welcome, Mr. Fenwick."

 

"Can I gets you to send me an account for what I owes you?"

 

"Sure. I'll send it out at the end of the week, that okay?" Duo replaced the items in their respective places in the trunk and prayed he would have his computer back up and running in time to do his weekly accounts, he really didn't fancy hand writing them all.

 

"That's fine. Thank you."

 

"I'll call by tomorrow afternoon then, if there's no improvement, or she takes a turn for the worst, call me straight away and I'll come right back out, Mr Fenwick," Duo said as he hopped back into the car.

 

"Will do, laddie," the farmer replied and then waved as Duo headed off down the driveway.

 

Pulling back out onto the road, Duo pointed the car in the direction of the surgery and glanced at his watch. It was three forty five. He still had time up his sleeve to get back, unpack the groceries and tend to Zero's leg before opening up for evening consults. He had forgotten to ask Heero what time he would be finishing work and dropping by so he assumed he would see the rider somewhere around six. That would mean he would only have an hour of evening consults left before he could spend some time with the dark haired man.

 

He pulled into the driveway and noticed that the feed store truck had been and left his delivery outside the feed shed door inside the barn. He'd have to put that away when he went to do Zero's leg. He brought the car to a halt and cut the engine. Quickly he grabbed all his grocery bags and walked up the short path to the back door and unlocked it. Stepping inside he dropped the bags to the table, checked the answering machine and put all the groceries away. Leaving the steak on the shelf in the 'fridge, Duo picked up the laundry basket and fetched the now dry washing in. He left it in the basket to put away later, he didn't have time now, Zero's leg needed attending to.

 

Moments later he was inside the stables and heaving the feed bags and bales of hay into the feed shed. He was pleased to note that the two large bags of carrots were fresh and he popped one into the small 'fridge in the feed shed and opened up the other. He could hear Zero wuffling through his nostrils and the vet chuckled to himself as he walked back out pulling a couple of strands of hay from his hair. "Here you are, boy," he said as he passed Zero a carrot. "Bet you gave the feed man a shock and a half when he delivered that little lot. No doubt you would have tried to accost him as he walked past."

 

Zero didn't answer, too busy munching on his carrot to pay any attention to the vet. He had paid particular attention to the nice man that had come earlier, smelling of lovely food scents and had even managed to score a mouthful of hay as the man had carried a bale of it past his stable.

 

"Come on, let's have another look at this leg of yours and this time, leave my hair alone," Duo said as he led the animal out and into the crush.

 

Zero must have listened to him for once as he behaved himself and let Duo attend to his leg without too much interference. The leg was re-bandaged and Zero put back into his stable with another carrot for good behavior and Duo was once again heading for his home. He checked the time again, four thirty. Putting the kettle on to boil, Duo went through to the bathroom to clean himself up a bit before enjoying a coffee and walking down to the adjoining surgery to open up for the evening consults. He glanced at the computer, shook his head and didn't even attempt to turn it on.

 

With his white coat and stethoscope in place, he flipped the small sign around to read open and waited for his first client.

 

***

 

Heero sat at the bar nursing a beer. He'd had the scotch he'd promised himself and almost choked on the fire of it as it blazed a trail to his belly. He decided one was enough. The beer was a little kinder to his innards so he'd stuck with that. Right about now he was feeling mellow, the alcohol had soothed his anger a little but now he was beginning to think about his predicament. He had no job, no income and a horse to support. He gave a snort and the bartender gave him a questioning look. Heero shook his head. Most men would be saying they had a wife to support, but not him, no, he had to be different, he had a horse to support. Somehow it struck Heero as rather funny.

 

Zero.

 

Thinking about his horse jolted Heero from his wallowing in self pity and as he looked at the clock he gave a start. It was five fifteen. He motioned for the bartender to come over and purchased a few more bottles of beer to take with him, he wasn't quite ready to give up the numb feeling just yet. Walking back out to the car, he placed the beer on the passenger seat then got in and started the car up. He turned the vehicle onto the road and began to drive to Duo's.

 

It didn't take him long and soon he was pulling into the long driveway. He could see the lights on in the small surgery and gathered from the couple of cars there that Duo had clients for evening consults. His watch said five fifty five which meant Duo would be at least another hour yet so Heero parked around the back of the house by the stables, grabbed two bottles and went to see his horse.

 

***

 

Duo closed the door and locked it after the last client left. He hung up his coat, tidied up and didn't even give the files or computer a second look. They could wait until the morning. Right now he wanted a nice hot drink, something to eat and to sit and relax in front of the television, preferably with a Japanese rider snuggled with him. Duo's mind switched to Heero and he wondered if the man had arrived yet. Once he entered the house he made a bee line for the kitchen and looked out into the yard. His heart leapt when he saw his car parked there and quickly he opened the back door and headed for the stables.

 

Duo walked inside and turned on the lights, it was dusk and things were getting hard to see. He looked around for Heero and couldn't see him, but then he heard the voice. "Heero? Where are you?"

 

"In here," came the slightly slurred reply.

 

Duo frowned and walked over to the stable, peering over the top he could see Zero standing with his head drooping, it took a moment longer for his eyes to adjust and then he spotted Heero sitting in the corner of the stable with what looked like a bottle of beer in his hand. "Heero?"

 

Heero sighed, gave a soft hiccup and took another pull from the bottle.

 

Duo opened the stable door and slipped inside. He knelt next to Heero and took the almost empty bottle from the man's hand. "Are you drunk?"

 

"No, I don't think so." Heero's voice was a little stilted.

 

"I think you might be, my friend." Duo helped the young man to his feet and guided him out of the stable. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

 

"No, Duo. I'm not okay,' came the slurred response. "I quit my job, told the boss to shove it up his ass and go fuck himself."

 

"Oh. Okay, then. Hmmm... I think we should get you up to the house and talk about this." Duo managed to wrap an arm around Heero and with the slightly drunk man leaning heavily on him, he made his way slowly to the house and some strong, black coffee.

 

~ * ~

 

tbc.....

 

 

[1] The Green Dream; this is the slang term used by vets and vet nurses for the drug 'Lethabarb' which is the strong anesthetic used to put animals to sleep. It's green in color and painlessly euthanases the animal by simply sending them to sleep, hence the term 'green dream'.