Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Equinity ❯ Chapter 14 ( Chapter 14 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier, ne?

 

Rating: NC 17

 

Warnings: Sap, angst, yaoi, Lemon, AU, OOC

 

Pairing: 2x1

 

Summary: Heero is a successful up and coming Showjumping rider with his promising new horse Zero. A fall at a show renders the animal injured and it is up to Duo Maxwell the new vet to treat the horse.

 

Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for this fic. *huggles* This one's for you hun!

 

Many thanks to my betas Yami_Tai and Ryouga.

 

Archive: http://gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com

http://sweetlysour.net.

http://adultfanfiction.net

http://www.theforsakenwk.com

http://www.templeofthegoddess.com/files/gwyaoi.html

 

Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.

 

Many thanks to Yami_tai for the title! *hugs*

 

Status: Incomplete

 

 

" Equinity "

 

October 2004 ShenLong

 

 

 

Chapter 14

 

Morning came with a burst of sunlight and sounds of bird song. Duo rolled over and blinked lazily, enjoying the warmth of the sunlight that penetrated his room. He loved waking up to the sounds of nature and not the rumble of traffic or noise of human life on the streets. He'd missed the country life when his father had died and he'd been forced to live in the city, he'd missed it while studying for his degree; but he'd promised himself that once he graduated he would set up practice in the country. That one goal had managed to sustain him through the many hours of study, the despair when it all seemed too overwhelming and the anguish at losing his first patient when on the practical run of his degree.

 

Smiling to himself, Duo lifted the covers back and swung his legs out over the side of the bed. He paused for a moment, the thoughts still racing through his head. Many had said he was mad for sinking his money into a practice in a small country town. With his talents he'd be much better off in a city practice, or so they told him; but Duo was no fool. He did his research, checked on the various country towns, noting the populations, the location of current established practices and the number and type of animals in the districts before narrowing his choices down to three possible places. Of the three, the little town of Salsbury offered him the best proposition for a successful practice.

 

The place he now lived in had been on the market at the right price, needing some renovation work and the surgery building on the front, but it hadn't deterred Duo. He had enough to put down a sizable deposit and still leave enough over to have the surgery built. He'd done some locum work at a city practice whilst the surgery was being built, gaining valuable experience in handling clients as well as adding to his bank balance and sustaining him whilst his own practice was being built. The renovations to the place hadn't been too big a task and Duo managed to complete most of them by himself, along with a little help from a couple of his college friends. After three months of work on the house and six months to build the surgery, Duo was able to open the practice officially.

 

The business was still in its fledgling stages, having only been up and running for the past twelve months but the clientele was steadily building. Duo's compassion and love of his job preceding him and many brought their animals to him because he took the time to get to know the people and their pets. Put simply, he cared; and that meant a lot in small country towns. Whilst he was by no means getting rich from his profession, Duo was making enough to meet his monthly mortgage and bills as well as feed himself. More importantly though, Duo was happy.

 

He hadn't thought his life could get any better until that fateful day of the Salsbury Agricultural show when a gray horse and his charming rider had literally fallen into his life. Duo gave a grin with the knowledge that Heero was sleeping in his guest room. He knew he was falling and falling hard for Heero, the Asian man was too charming for his own good, and yet there was a childlike innocence about Heero as well, something about him that radiated serenity and trust.

 

He was the first person that Duo had truly felt comfortable with.

 

Stretching and yawning, feeling the joints pop, Duo padded over to the door and slipped out, heading for the bathroom to relieve himself and wash up. Once finished in the bathroom he returned to his bedroom and dressed in a loose, cotton, button down shirt and jeans. "I really must do some ironing today," he muttered to his reflection as he brushed his long, chestnut mane of hair. He hated ironing but it was an evil that had to be dealt with. Needless to say, Duo waited until he had practically nothing left in his wardrobe to wear before attacking the pile that inevitably built up until it almost buried him. With his hair now neatly braided, Duo quickly made his bed and left his bedroom, pausing briefly at Heero's door on his way to the kitchen. All he could hear was the gentle sound of soft snoring and Duo smiled to himself. He popped the kettle on to boil and fetched the two familiar mugs from the cupboard. Instant coffee and sugar were placed in the mugs and Duo fetched the milk. He hummed softly to himself as he went about the morning ritual of making his coffee. When the kettle boiled he poured the hot water into the mugs and stirred them before adding the milk. Usually he would take his coffee and head out to the stable block to feed Zero, then return and have his own breakfast. After that he'd go back to the stables and clean out Zero's stall before treating the horse and then returning to the house to tidy up, put something out to thaw for dinner and then open up for morning consults. Today though his routine was to be varied a little and Duo smiled as he picked up Heero's coffee and went to wake the other man.

 

He paused at the door again, listening intently just in case Heero had woken. Nothing but the snoring greeted his ears. Carefully, Duo opened the door and stepped inside. His face broke into a wide grin. Heero was sprawled in the bed, flat on his back with his injured arm cradled to his chest. Heero's left arm was slung out at right angles to his body, the blankets kicked down and only the sheet covering him to the waist. The chocolate hair was tousled and gentle snores came from Heero's mouth. Duo set the coffee down on the bedside table and leaned over the sleeping man. He hesitated for a moment and then took the plunge. Softly he brought his lips to Heero's and brushed them across, pulling back quickly to see what would happen. Heero murmured quietly and his tongue darted out to lick over his lips. Duo closed the gap again, this time the kiss was more intense. His lips connected and moved softly over Heero's, tongue stroking across Heero's bottom lip. Just as Duo began to pull away so those lips parted and Heero's tongue came forth to tangle with Duo's.

 

Realizing he'd been caught out, Duo moaned into the kiss before managing to pull away. A pair of sleepy cobalt eyes followed him. "Morning, Heero," said Duo softly as he picked up the mug of coffee and offered it to the waking man.

 

"I couldn't think of a better way to be woken up," replied Heero as he shoved himself into a sitting position. "Much nicer than the screaming of the alarm clock." Heero took the coffee and blew across the top to try and cool the hot drink. "Thank you."

 

"You're welcome. Did you sleep well?" Duo asked as he sat himself down on the edge of the bed.

 

"Like a log. What about you?"

 

"Mmmm... Slept like a baby. What time is your interview?"

 

"Eleven. I'll need to leave here around tenish to make sure I get there on time. What time is it now?"

 

Duo glanced at his watch. "Seven fifteen. You've got plenty of time. Look, I'll pop down and feed Zero while you get dressed, it won't take long and then I'll get us breakfast once he's fed. After that I need to check on the kitten before I treat Zero's leg and clean out his stable. He can go back out into the paddock again today; it will do him the world of good. By that stage it should be time for you to start getting ready. I'll give you a hand before I go and open up for morning consults."

 

Heero nodded, Duo's little monologue making him smile. Being an organized person himself, he appreciated Duo's methods. "Okay. I'll give you a hand though with the kitten and Zero's leg, as well as cleaning his stable."

 

"That's fine with me. Poached eggs okay for breakfast?"

 

"That would be lovely, Duo." Heero reached out and placed his mug back on the side table before bringing his hand to Duo's cheek and leaning forth to steal a kiss. "You spoil me," he murmured as he broke their lip lock.

 

"You deserve to be spoilt," whispered Duo as he rubbed his nose against Heero's.

 

"I think I'm falling in love with you, Duo Maxwell," Heero admitted rather shyly.

 

Duo gave him a warm smile. "I think I might be falling for you too, Heero Yuy. You certainly know how to charm a man."

 

Closing his eyes, Heero sealed their lips once more, this time the kiss was tender, putting all his heart and soul into it in an attempt to show Duo how much he cared.

 

"Better go now," panted Duo. "I don't think Zero would appreciate being kept waiting for his breakfast."

 

"No, he wouldn't," replied Heero and gave Duo's backside a light swat as the vet stood up.

 

"Hey! None of that now, Mr. Yuy. I'll have you know I'm a respectable man."

 

"I never thought of you as anything less," smirked Heero.

 

"You wait, Heero. I'll get you back," grinned Duo as he left the bedroom.

 

"Of that I have no doubt," called Heero after the retreating braid. All he got in return was a chuckle of laughter as Duo went to feed the horse.

 

***

 

By the time Duo returned, Heero was washed and dressed in a pair of jeans and T-shirt. With his arm no longer strapped to his body it was a little easier to dress himself, although he knew without a doubt that he wouldn't be able to manage a button down shirt or tie just yet. He'd taken his pills and set up the plates and pan for their breakfast. Duo smiled and thanked him before setting about the task of cooking for them both. They chatted comfortably about nothing much over their breakfast, Duo teasing Heero about having to have his food cut up for him and Heero drawing the line at Duo 'feeding' him.

 

With breakfast out of the way the next stop was the surgery and the sick kitten. Heero was edgy as they opened up the building and went inside. He wasn't too sure what to expect and could only hope that Fluffy's immune system had rallied and with the antibiotics she was managing to fight the disease. He really didn't want to go inside the kennel lest the kitten had lost her battle and was grateful when Duo didn't insist that he follow.

 

Duo opened the kennel door and gently lifted the small kitten out. At first he wasn't too sure himself if she was still alive or not. Huddled in the corner of her kennel she hadn't moved at all. Her body was still warm though and her little heart beating away, which was definitely a good sign. "It's okay, Heero. You can come in, Fluffy is still with us."

 

Heero gave a sigh of relief and entered the kennels. "Sorry," he said softly to Duo.

 

"What for, Heero? There's no shame in caring, you know." Duo smiled at Heero. It really was sweet how he felt about animals in general, something that endeared him to Duo even more. "Can you bring her through to the consult room for me? I need to get the antibiotic injection as well as the vitamins."

 

"Sure." Heero carefully took the little kitten and carried her through to the consult room where he continued to cuddle her whilst Duo fetched the things he would need. It didn't take long to clean the cat up and give her the needles and Heero found himself playing nursemaid once more while Duo cleaned out the cat kennel and replaced the water bowl, bedding and litter tray.

 

"I'll try giving her a little food later on," stated Duo as he washed his hands once he'd finished with the cat. "If she eats anything then there's every chance she will make a full recovery. Now, let's go and see to that horse of yours."

 

"Duo, you're amazing," said Heero softly as he also washed his free hand and followed the vet back out and towards the stable block.

 

Zero greeted them both with wuffles of delight, instantly nosing their pockets for treats.

 

"Sorry, boy, you'll have to wait until after your treatment for carrots," stated Duo as he went to fetch the liniment and a fresh bandage.

 

Heero, meanwhile, clipped the leadrope to the halter and led Zero out to the crush, the horse following docilely beside him. Zero knew the routine now and walked calmly into the crush and stood whilst Heero secured the front and back 'gates' on it. With the horse secure so Heero fetched the hose pipe and waited for Duo to return. He couldn't undo the bandage himself with only one hand so he had no choice but to wait for the vet.

 

Duo wasn't long, returning with a bandage and bottle which he set on the small bench to the side. Then he unwrapped the leg and felt over the tendons and ligaments.

 

"The swelling has gone down a lot," remarked Heero. It had been a while since he'd seen the leg un-bandaged

 

"Yes, it has. I'm very pleased with the response to the treatment, at this rate I'd say Zero is going to make a full recovery and be back on the circuit within no time," replied Duo as he sat back on his heels and surveyed the leg.

 

"What's in the bottle?" asked Heero, noting that Duo hadn't removed a gel pad nor brought another one out.

 

"Liniment. Want to hose the leg for me?"

 

"Sure." Heero directed the stream of water over Zero's leg when Duo turned on the tap. "What's the liniment do?"

 

"It will penetrate into the skin and help the tendons, ligaments and muscles to heal. It's a type of anti inflammatory as well as having healing properties in it. I'm not completely sure how it works, neither is the manufacturer," chuckled Duo. "But it does work."

 

"Aa." Heero didn't press the issue, he knew enough not to question something that worked. If it helped Zero's leg to heal and meant that he would be able to compete again then that was fine with Heero. He continued to hose the leg, tugging lightly at Zero's forelock as he did so. Then he noticed Duo disappearing into Zero's stable with the manure bucket and poop scoop. "I'll give you a hand to do that, Duo," he called out, feeling guilty that Duo was doing all the cleaning up after his horse.

 

Duo stuck his head out the stable door. "And just how, pray tell, are you going to clean the stable with only one arm?"

 

"Errr..."

 

"Exactly. Now be a good boy, shut up and finish hosing Zero's leg," Duo replied sweetly.

 

"But..."

 

"Look, if it will make you feel any better I'll leave you the water bucket to scrub out and refill."

 

"Thanks." Heero really did feel bad about Duo doing all the work in looking after his horse but in reality there wasn't a whole lot that Heero could do about it. At least he had the comfort of being able to do a little bit, even if it was only the water bucket.

 

Duo hummed to himself as he cleaned the stable, scooping the manure into the holder and shaking the sawdust out before emptying the left behind manure into the bucket. Once he was done he took the bucket outside and dumped it on the future vegetable patch before returning to rake the stable. Picking up the water bucket, he emptied it out and set it down with a scrubbing brush then straightened his back and looked at Heero. "That should do for his leg, Heero. I've emptied out the bucket so it's all set to be cleaned and refilled. Leave it when it's done and I'll pop it back in the stable," said Duo as he walked across to the crush.

 

"Okay," replied Heero and moved towards where the bucket sat.

 

Duo picked up the towel from the bench and began to dry off Zero's leg. He was really pleased with the horse's recovery, so many times he'd seen a good animal unable to fulfill its potential due to a tendon or ligament strain. Zero had been really lucky, given the type of fall he'd had, by rights he should have broken his leg. Duo could only thank the powers that be that the horse hadn't. If he had then there really was only one outcome... A bullet.

 

With the leg dried off, Duo fetched the liniment and began to rub it into the skin, covering the cannon bone and fetlock joint, working it in as best he could.

 

Heero returned and wrinkled up his nose. "Strong," he said as he caught a whiff of the liniment.

 

"Ahh, but it does the trick."

 

"It would want to if it smells like that."

 

Duo chuckled. "Pass me the bandage, would you, Heero?" One bandage was duly handed over and Duo quickly strapped the leg before going to wash his hands and fetch a carrot for the patient.

 

Heero led his horse out of the stable block and to the paddock he'd been in yesterday, turning him around to face the gate before unclipping the lead and letting the horse go. Zero ambled off and found a nice patch of grass to roll on before getting to his feet with a grunt, shaking himself and then settling down to graze.

 

"Well, he certainly looks right at home," remarked Duo as he watched the animal.

 

"I think he's getting old, grunting like that," stated Heero with a smile in his voice.

 

Duo chuckled. "You know what they say, Heero. Owners are like their animals."

 

"You saying I'm getting old, Duo?"

 

"You should have heard you snoring and grunting last night," teased Duo.

 

"I don't grunt, snore maybe, but not grunt. And I'll show you just how old I am." Heero moved swiftly and before Duo knew what had hit him, Heero had him in a one armed embrace and was kissing him senseless.

 

"Okay, maybe I was wrong," gasped Duo as he was finally released for air.

 

Heero simply smirked and began to walk back to the house, Duo following along behind and unable to keep his eyes from looking at Heero's very nice rear end.

 

***

 

Heero took another shower and then prepared to get ready for his interview. Stepping out of the shower he dried himself off as best he could and slipped his boxers on. With the towel slung over his shoulders he went back to his room and tried to pull on his slacks, the material clinging to his still damp skin and making the task nearly impossible. He gave a few choice words and tried again to yank the pants up over his thighs.

 

Duo was walking past the bedroom when he heard Heero's cursing and paused at the door. "You okay, Heero? Need a hand?"

 

Heero sighed. Looked like he was resigned to having someone help him whether he wanted it or not. "If you don't mind, Duo."

 

"What's the problem? Oh," said Duo as he stepped inside the room.

 

Heero went bright red. "I'm sorry, Duo. I can't get my skin dry enough and the pants are sticking to me. I..… I had hoped to avoid putting you in this situation... again..." Heero trailed off. Despite the fact that they had enjoyed a little 'make out' session on the couch last night, Heero was still a little uncomfortable with the situation, he didn't want Duo to think he was doing this on purpose.

 

Smiling and trying hard not to laugh, Duo stepped forwards. "Geeze, I don't know, Heero," he began, trying to make light of the problem. "I thought I was supposed to help you get out of your pants, not into them."

 

Spluttering slightly at the turn of events, Heero went an even brighter shade of red.

 

"Come here," said Duo softly and took a firm hold of the waistband and tugged the pants up. He couldn't resist smoothing a hand over the back of them and copping a quick feel of Heero's ass. "You alright to do up the front or do you need some help with that?" he snickered.

 

"You keep groping me and I will most certainly need a hand with *that*," replied Heero with a smirk.

 

Duo simply laughed and stole a kiss. "I might surprise you yet, Heero Yuy," he whispered and then darted away to pick up the discarded towel and dry off Heero's back and the strapping.

 

A soft moan escaped Heero's lips with Duo's words and he hastened to do up his fly before anything could rise to the occasion and get in the way. The rubbing of the soft towel over his back felt good and he smiled as he felt the tenderness in the touch when Duo dried him off over his injured shoulder. "Arigato."

 

"Now for the shirt." Duo picked up the shirt and managed to get Heero into it without too much trouble. Starting with the injured arm he was able to wriggle the fabric around so as both of Heero's arms were in the sleeves. He straightened the shirt and began to do up the buttons.

 

Watching the vet as he worked, Heero couldn't help but notice the pink tip of Duo's tongue which stuck out of his mouth as the vet concentrated on his task. Heero found it rather adorable.

 

Shirt done up, Heero tucked it into his pants with a little help from Duo. Actually there was a bit more groping than help, but Heero didn't mind, secretly he was rather enjoying it.

 

"Now for the tie," stated Duo as he lifted the tie from the bed and began to slide it around Heero's neck. Carefully he wound the tie around, slipped it through and pulled the knot tight. He straightened it and tucked the end away. "There you go, all ready."

 

"Socks and shoes," said Heero raising an eyebrow.

 

"Oh, yeah. Sit down then and I'll help."

 

"I can manage them on my own," replied Heero.

 

"I know you can but it will be quicker and less painful if I help." Duo picked up the socks and Heero sat on the bed, offering a foot. Duo couldn't help himself. "This little piggy went to market... This little piggy..."

 

"DUO!"

 

"Oops, sorry," laughed Duo and began to put the sock on Heero's foot. The other sock was swiftly dealt with and the shoes slipped on. Finally Heero stood up. "Your hair needs brushing and then you're all set," said Duo.

 

"Thanks." Heero went through to the bathroom to try and tame his unruly hair. The comb worked through the thick strands of hair but it soon fell back into its usual messy state. Heero growled at his reflection. "One of these days I should get you all cut off," he threatened the hair. With a scowl he put the comb down and went back out to the kitchen where Duo was checking that he had everything he needed for his morning consults.

 

"Wow, don't you look the part of the businessman," said Duo as he ran an appraising eye over Heero. "Got everything?"

 

"Hai. Thanks for your help, Duo."

 

"No problem, Heero. Here." Duo handed Heero a cup of tea. "This should calm any nerves that you might have."

 

Heero placed the folder he was carrying onto the table and gratefully took the cup of tea. He blew on it and then began to sip on it.

 

"You sure you got everything?"

 

"Hai." Heero nodded in the direction of the folder. "I have my certificates of qualification and my resume all in there. I shouldn't need anything else. Oh, there is one thing. If they ask me for a personal reference, would you mind if I gave them your name?"

 

"Of course I don't mind, Heero. I'd be happy to stand as a reference for you. Now, I have to go and open up for consults. Good luck, knock 'em dead, tiger." Duo closed the gap between them and wound his arms around Heero, kissing the other man for good luck.

 

Heero returned the kiss with just as much passion and enthusiasm. "Thanks, Duo. Not just for the good wishes, but for all your support and help."

 

"Aww..… You're welcome, Heero. I really must go though or the hoards will be beating down my door."

 

"No flirting with the clients, Duo."

 

"Wouldn't dream of it, buddy. See you when you get back," and with a wave of his hand, Duo was gone, heading for the surgery to open up and begin his morning routine of consultations.

 

Heero finished his tea and checked the clock. He had plenty of time so he rechecked that he had everything, patted his back pocket to make sure his wallet was there and then picking up the car keys, folder and piece of paper with the directions and address on it, he left the house and went to his interview.

 

***

 

Heero managed to navigate with ease to the office where his interview was scheduled. He parked the car and got out, taking the folder with him. A glance to his watch told him it was ten forty five. Good. Better to be early than late, it would stand in his favor that he was obviously a punctual person. He checked his reflection in the car's side mirror then tested the car door to make sure it was locked before striding along the pavement to the front doors of 'McKay and Sons Accountants'. The coolness of the air-conditioned interior washed over him as he entered the building, the quietness of the reception area a welcome haven after the sounds of the traffic outside. Heero walked to the reception desk and waited for the young girl to finish on the 'phone.

 

"Can I help you?"

 

"My name is Heero Yuy. I have an interview with a..." Heero quickly looked at his piece of paper. "A Mr. Ian McKay at eleven."

 

The young girl turned and propelled her office chair to the other desk where a large appointments book sat open. She scanned down the page and then turned back to Heero. "Yes, Mr. Yuy. If you would like to take a seat, I'll let Mr. McKay know that you're here."

 

"Thank you." Heero turned and went to sit in one of the few chairs that graced the wall of the reception area. He listened to the girl as she spoke with Mr. McKay, notifying him of Heero's arrival whilst his eyes took in the decor. The walls were painted a pale gray color, the carpet a little worn but still holding a mixture of gray and blue threads. The chairs were a soft blue gray and blended in well with the rest of the room. A couple of prints hung on the walls, both landscapes which added a splash of color to the room. A door opened and Heero's mind immediately switched back to his reason for being there. A tall man, roughly forty five-ish so Heero guessed, stepped out.

 

"Heero Yuy?"

 

"Yes?" Heero stood up and walked towards the man.

 

A hand was offered but Heero couldn't shake it, firstly because he was holding his folder in his uninjured hand and secondly because he couldn't shake left hand to right hand and his right hand was in a sling. "Ah, sorry," he apologized.

 

The man looked him up and down, frowning slightly at the sling but then dismissed it. "Follow me, please."

 

Heero walked behind the man, along a hallway and into an office on the right. He sat in the chair indicated whilst the man closed the door and then took up residence in the large, overstuffed chair on the opposite side of the desk to Heero.

 

"Now, Mr. Yuy, why do you think McKay and Sons should employ you? What do you have to offer the company?"

 

Heero took a deep breath and ignoring the butterflies in his stomach began to recite the assets he could bring to the company, should they employ him.

 

***

 

Morning consults seemed to drag by for Duo. Even though he was kept busy with a steady stream of clients his mind kept flitting to Heero and wondering how he was getting on with his interview. Even the evil computer failed to annoy him. The small changes that Heero had made to the data base made it much simpler for Duo to operate and only served to remind him yet again of the dark haired man and his talents.

 

The young girl had called about Fluffy the kitten and Duo had relayed the information to her, explaining that whilst the kitten hadn't gotten any worse she was still to show signs of improvement and that they still had a long way to go before he could deem the kitten recovered.

 

The last client of the morning departed after leaving his dog with Duo to be castrated and Duo gratefully closed the door behind him. He finished up on the computer and then went through to clean up the consulting room, wiping the table and sweeping the floor before gathering all the instruments together and popping them in the autoclave. He worked on autopilot, the routine as familiar to him as cleaning his teeth and soon the work was done. He stopped in the kennels to check on Fluffy and clean her face before giving her another shot of antibiotic. The little kitten still showed no signs of improvement and Duo felt his heart sink. He didn't want to admit it but it wasn't looking too good for Fluffy.

 

He checked the kelpie that had been brought in for sterilization that afternoon, the dog seemed happy enough, even though he was in a strange place. Duo left the kennel area and went through to his small operating room to prepare for the afternoon surgery. He thought he might as well set everything up now and then go back down to the house to wait for Heero. He fetched the freshly sterilized instruments and set them out on a tray, checking them over and covering them with a green, sterile cloth. Then he made sure that he had enough silk on the spool to stitch with and put the needle he would use ready. Satisfied that he had the drugs he needed handy and that everything was now set up and ready for the operation, Duo left the small building, locking the door behind him and went back to the house to prepare lunch and wait for Heero.

 

There was no sign of Heero or the car so Duo decided to pay Zero a visit and make sure that the horse was okay and pass some of the time. Zero stood underneath the large gum tree in the paddock, tail swishing at the flies as his head drooped and he dozed in the warmth of the day. Duo smiled as he leant on the fence watching the animal. Checking the water bucket, Duo left the horse to his dozing and went back to the house again and set about making some sandwiches and doing his ironing before he was completely without clothes.

 

The last shirt went onto the coathanger and Duo switched off the iron, giving a sigh at the same time. He hated ironing, hence his reasons for leaving it until he literally had to do it. At least now the evil chore was done and he again had clothes. The clock said one and there was still no sign of Heero. Duo fetched his vacuum cleaner out, maybe a little housework would make the time go quicker.

 

***

 

Heero pulled into the now familiar driveway and brought the car to a halt around the back of the house. Getting out he grabbed the folder from the seat and locked the car. Walking towards the house he could hear the sounds of a vacuum going and curiously he stepped inside, placing the folder on the kitchen table and following the sounds. He paused in the doorway to the lounge and smiled. Duo had his back to him, busily vacuuming away, hips swaying to a rhythm only the vet could hear. Not wanting to disturb the scene of domestic bliss, Heero stayed where he was and simply watched.

 

Duo felt a prickling to the back of his neck, someone was watching him. Quickly he turned around and a sheepish grin found his lips as he realized he'd been caught out. He bent and turned off the machine.

 

"Don't stop on my account," said Heero with a grin. "I'm quite enjoying the view."

 

"I bet you are,'" replied Duo. "I'm finished now anyway. Hungry?"

 

"Hai."

 

"How did the interview go?" Duo asked as he unplugged the machine and went to press the button for the automatic cord rewind. "Ow, shit!" he yelped as the cord snaked across the room at supersonic speed, whipping around like a live thing and clocking Duo in the shin as it was sucked back into the vacuum cleaner.

 

"You okay?" asked Heero, the concern heavy in his voice.

 

"I'll live," replied Duo as he rubbed his shin. "You'd think I'd have learnt by now to dodge that thing."

 

"I take it that this isn't the first time it's gotten you?" Heero was trying to keep the mirth from his voice.

 

"Nah, damn thing usually manages to score a bruise or two at least once a month. They should put warning labels on the thing; it could be a lethal weapon in the wrong hands."

 

"Death by vacuum cleaner, now there's something you wouldn't read about every day," snickered Heero.

 

"Could happen if the bloody thing managed to get the cord around your neck. I wouldn't put it past it to try either. Between the vaccy and the computer I'm surprised that I still have all my limbs intact." Duo picked up the small machine and carried it through to the hall cupboard where it lived and put it away. "Now stay there, Fido."

 

"Fido?"

 

"The vaccy."

 

"Duo, do you name all your appliances?"

 

"Not all, just some," replied Duo with a grin. "Come on, lunch is ready and I'm dying to hear all about the interview."

 

Heero followed his boyfriend through the house to the kitchen, shaking his head in amusement. Fido for the vacuum cleaner, Nrobbuts for the computer, it made Heero wonder what the hell Duo had named the car; or the television... Then again, he really didn't want to know.

 

Sitting at the table with a thick ham and salad sandwich in front of him, glass of orange juice to the side, Heero was once again questioned.

 

"So, how was the interview? Did you get the job? Was it a nice place? What's the staff like?" Duo fired off the questions one after another.

 

Heero raised his eyes and set his half eaten sandwich back on the plate. He finished chewing and cleared his throat. "The staff are friendly, the place is nice, the interview went okay and they are going to ring me this afternoon to let me know."

 

"Oh."

 

As Duo spoke so Heero's cell phone began to ring. Heero unclipped it from his pants and glanced at the caller ID. "That will be the company now."

 

~ * ~

 

tbc....