Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Frozen Heart ❯ Frozen Heart 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Frozen Heart

Part 3

The mission was over. The military base they had been ordered to infiltrate and destroy lay in ruins, as did the experimental mobile suits the base scientists had been working on.

Heero paused near the end of his report.

Pilot 02 status:

It was at this point where he normally indicated the physical/mental condition of his fellow pilots, specifically, Duo's condition. His fingers hovered over the keyboard. Grimly, he entered in four letters - AWOL.

It was the truth, after all. Once he sent his report, Professor G would no doubt order a search and recovery mission for the missing pilot. Duo knew too much. He was an unacceptable risk. Heero knew that the scientists would employ all necessary means to bring Duo back, dead or alive. Just as he knew that at the same time another pilot would be trained to take over Deathscythe and the rest of Duo's duties.

Heero tried to picture another boy in Deathscythe's cockpit, wielding the deadly scythe and cackling madly all the while. His skin crawled. It had taken him a long time to get used to Duo's compulsive chatter on and off the battlegrounds. He couldn't go through it again. Wouldn't.

Then again, he told himself firmly, it was far more likely that Duo's replacement would be far different from the noisy baka. He forced himself to visualize working with a new partner, perhaps a more rational, obedient one. After all, there was no way Professor G could come up with another deranged pilot of Duo's caliber. No, he was quite certain there was no other boy who could come close to the way Duo was, on and off Deathscythe.

At least, he told himself consolingly, he and the rest of the pilots would be able to enjoy downtime. More peace and quiet all around. No more silly practical jokes. No more endless pointless chatter. No more insolent loudmouthed bragging. No more incessant annoying whining. Yeah, finally, peace and quiet.

His fingers clenched.

Damn you Duo. Damn you to hell.

He stared at the screen. AWOL. The word seemed to leap out at him. In one vicious movement, he turned the laptop off and strode out of the room.

He had had enough of Shinigami's sulking. It was time someone taught him his place. Mission accepted.

-o0o-

Quatre was worried. Hell, he was well past the stage of worry. He was frankly going out of his mind with anxiety. Getting in touch with Duo had proven difficult. Duo absolutely refused to risk discovery by Heero or one of the others, and that meant Quatre had to avail of the public videophones in order to communicate with the stubborn boy, rather than the laptop at the safe house. But that had meant slipping out of the safe house without the knowledge of Heero and Wufei at the very least. He suspected that Trowa knew or at least suspected, but he trusted the Heavyarms pilot to respect their need for privacy. In fact, he was almost positive Trowa covered for him during those times.

He sighed, eyeing the blank vid impatiently. Duo had looked increasingly worse the last few times they'd talked. Pale, haggard, definitely thinner. And Duo had never had much extra weight to lose. However, what alarmed Quatre to the core was the increasing withdrawal in Duo's eyes and expression. He rarely, if ever, cracked a joke or smiled. Granted, his present situation was hardly conducive to merriment or laughter, but Quatre had found early on that a silent Duo was a dangerous Duo.

What's happening to you, Duo? Are we losing you completely?

More than once he had debated going to the others with his concerns, but he had put it off. Too much uncertainty clouded the braided boy's status among the pilots. Had Heero reported him as AWOL? Would he be putting Duo at risk by disclosing his location? Would Duo forgive him the betrayal? There were just too many questions and he was too involved emotionally to make an impartial decision.

Duo, what if by keeping your secret I end up being party to your destruction?

The screen finally flickered to life, and Quatre jerked to attention, his aquamarine eyes widening with surprise when instead of Duo, another boy showed up. Jet black hair, light blue eyes. A fading bruise adorned his left temple. There was something vaguely familiar about the boy. However, whatever it was was relegated to the back of his mind at the sight of the familiar gold cross around the unknown boy's neck. His jaw dropped.

Duo's cross. It was, according to Duo, a memorial to the people and the past he was fighting for. In all the time Quatre had known Duo, it had never left Duo's neck.

"Q?"

Quatre almost choked at the tentative greeting, his heartbeat tripling. Q was the moniker Duo had saddled him with. Whoever this boy was, Duo had sent him.

"Who are you?" His tone was sharp as alarm shot through him. Duo would not have sent a messenger, would not have missed their appointment if at all possible. Unless there was no earthly way for him to get there.

"Max sent me." A trace of pride colored the other boy's voice.

"Where is he? What happened to him?" The questions were fired rapidly. "And who are you?" He tucked in as an afterthought. Duo had not mentioned a friend. With hindsight he realized Duo mentioned little at all.

The boy blinked, his confidence slipping a notch. Max had told him repeatedly how important it was for him to make this call. Would have made it himself if he hadn't been in so much pain that he almost blacked out the moment he stirred from the bed. And now, confronted with the angelic vision on the screen, he thought he understood why. The gorgeous blonde had to be Max's boyfriend. He faltered.

"Er…Max had an appointment he couldn't get out off." He stumbled through the lie Max had whispered. "He didn't want you to worry and asked me to let you know."

"Bullshit." Quatre's eyes flashed blue fire, "He's hurt, isn't he?" Duo had to be in incredible pain if he couldn't think up a better excuse than that.

Or was it a subconscious cry for help? What have you done to yourself, Duo?

The boy's betraying flush was all the answer he needed.

"What happened? How badly hurt is he? Just spit it out, man!" Quatre was trying very hard not to yell. Panic was beginning to set in as he mentally computed the distance between him and his friend, trying to work out the logistics and at the same time gather as much information as he could from the wretched messenger. A glance at the wary face before him made him pause. Taking a deep breath, he strove to calm down before he scared the other away. "Look, I'm sorry. I'm just very worried. Can you tell me exactly what happened and how badly hurt he is?"

Guilt flashed through the handsome features, and he averted his face. The play of light on his profile- Quatre went cold as recognition set in. The shape of the face was different, as was his build and posture. But at a certain angle, the boy before him bore a certain resemblance to Heero Yuy.

Oh Duo…

"He got hurt helping me." The admission was soft, the light blue eyes dropping. "He was driving by when he saw Maddock's boys ganging up on me. He stepped in before it got too bad, and he drove them off, but he got hit pretty bad on the head." He paused, then meeting the intensity in the light blue eyes, he went on reluctantly. "He also got smashed in the ribs."

"Dear Allah." Quatre whispered. It was too easy to imagine. Duo never backed out of a fight or a challenge. Just as it was beyond him to overlook a group of boys beating up another helpless boy. It reminded him too much of his days on L2's streets.

"I don't know how he did it, but he got us back home before he collapsed." The boy's eyes glowed with hero worship.

"How long ago was this?" Quatre asked. "Have you had a doctor look at him?"

"Three days ago." The boy replied quickly. "Derek wanted to take him to the hospital, but Max said no. Said it was just a concussion and a few cracked ribs. He had me buy some meds instead."

Quatre closed his eyes. Duo's knowledge of medicine was limited to first aid. What if he was injured worse than he was willing to admit or acknowledge?

"Derek?" He got out finally, latching on to the new name.

"My brother."

"And your name is-"

"Jason."

"Oh." Quatre marshaled his thoughts. "Listen, Jason. I do appreciate everything you've done for Max." He spared him a small smile. "But can we keep this between us? Don't let Max know you've told me everything, okay? He doesn't want me to worry and I don't want him to worry either. This'll be our little secret, alright?"

Relief flooded Jason's face. Obviously, the thought of betraying his hero had weighed heavily on his mind. "Sure, no problem." Then, a sudden thought struck him and uncertainty flashed through the blue eyes. "Are you coming to take him away?"

Quatre didn't answer.

"'Coz you don't have to rush." Jason rushed in quickly. "Derek and I-we'll take good care of him. Hell, Derek thinks of him as his best friend already. And I'll let keep you posted if anything happens. I swear it!"

Quatre stared at the desperation on the boy's face. His heart sank. It had only been a month and already Duo had formed new attachments. Had Duo replaced them already with his new friends?

Slowly, he nodded. "Alright."

After a few more minutes wherein Quatre ascertained that indeed, Duo's analysis of his injuries seemed on the dot, he logged off.

Slumping into his chair, he massaged the bridge of his nose. What to do now?

"Don't you think it's time to let the others know?" A quiet voice spoke up behind him.

Quatre sprang up with a gasp. Whirling around, he saw Trowa eyeing him calmly.

"You scared the daylight out of me!" Quatre exclaimed, both angry and relieved. Finally, someone who could help him decide.

Trowa slipped into the empty seat beside him, eyes lingering briefly on the blank screen before focusing on his partner. He knew Quatre meant well by hiding Duo's location, but he couldn't stand by and watch him torn apart by uncertainty. If anything happened to Duo, he would never forgive himself. And neither would Heero.

"It's been a month." Trowa went on evenly. "Duo's not getting any better and neither is Heero. They obviously need each other, even though they're both too much of an ass to admit it. Keeping them apart will only hurt them in the long run."

"But Duo-"

"-isn't thinking clearly. He's hurt and he's hiding." Trowa shrugged. "So is Yuy. I say they deserve each other."

Quatre frowned. Trowa had a point, of course. But he'd promised.

"Heero doesn't seem the least bit sorry for breaking Duo's heart." He muttered darkly.

Trowa smirked. "Maybe he's waiting for a chance to mend it." He suggested. "A chance that I would think Duo will want him to have."

Quatre stared at him, hope growing in his eyes. "You really think so?"

Trowa nodded.

"Hmmm." Quatre's eyes narrowed thoughtfully.

Weren't you the one who said everyone deserves a second chance, Duo?

-o0o-

Heero's expression was hard and closed as he eyed Quatre.

"So all this time Maxwell had been running around getting into stupid fights." He concluded flatly. No wonder he hadn't been able to trace the braided baka. "And now that he was stupid enough to hurt himself he comes running back to us."

Quatre reddened. Duo was reckless at times and prone to get into trouble, but he had never burdened them intentionally. In fact, he had often gone out of his way to keep his injuries from affecting their missions. And Heero should know that.

Trowa shot him a telling glance. Remember the plan.

Quatre reined in his outrage. "On the contrary, Heero, Duo didn't want to bother any one of us." He took a deep breath and plunged in, praying that this would work. "I'm more concerned about the fact that he sent Jason."

Heero's eyes narrowed. "Jason." His voice was clipped. "He revealed us to a civilian?"

Quatre shook his head. "Heero," He paused delicately and hardened his heart. "We all know that however angry Duo is with any of us, he would sooner die than risk our exposure." He watched Heero intently. "Jason must have earned Duo's confidence for him to take that risk. In fact, I think the greater risk here isn't to us, but to Duo's status as a Gundam pilot." He leaned forward, his expression earnest. "Guys, I suspect Duo's not planning to come back at all. I think this time he really wants out."

"How can you be sure of this? You didn't get to talk to him!" Wufei protested when Heero froze.

Trowa and Quatre exchanged looks.

"Jason was wearing his cross." Trowa told them solemnly.

Shocked silence greeted his announcement. Everyone knew the significance of the cross to Duo. It was as sacred to him as his braid.

"Duo almost got killed protecting Jason, and Jason's family has been taking care of Duo since then." Quatre shot Heero an unreadable glance. "That tells me that Duo has become attached to Jason. And since Jason is wearing Duo's cross, I think it's safe to assume that they're more than just friends." Unvoiced was the thought that this relationship, if it was truly as important to Duo as it seemed, may very well lead him to sever all ties with the Gundams.

Heero stared blindly at a spot over Quatre's shoulder.

Jason was wearing his cross. Duo's cross.

All of a sudden, a crippling pain blossomed somewhere in the vicinity of his heart.

Duo had fallen in love with someone else.

Duo wasn't coming back.

No more pointless chatter.

No more mischievous pranks.

No more flirtatious teasing.

No more sparkling violet eyes.

No more laughter.

He shot to his feet and swiftly left the room, ignoring the calls of his teammates.

Trowa glanced at Quatre and smiled slightly. "Mission accomplished, I think."

Wufei eyed the two of them suspiciously. "What are you two up to?"

"Nothing." Quatre smiled at him angelically. "Nothing at all."

Heero found himself at the hangar, at Deathsycthe's foot, staring up at the black harbinger of death.

"You're a Gundam pilot, Duo. You're a soldier. You can't just cut out and run- you have duties!" His voice rang out with intensity. "How dare you throw it all away for a boy!" Rage. Pain. Jealousy. With all his might, he slammed a hand against the unyielding surface. "Don't you understand?! You belong with us?!"

His voice fell to a rough whisper.

"You belong with us."

-end Part 3-