Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Frozen Heart ❯ Chapter 11 ( Chapter 11 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Frozen Heart 11

"I'll be on my way now, Master Max."

Duo winced slightly at the `master' bit. Then again, it was an improvement. The first time he had met the daily housekeeper Derek had hired for him, the woman had insisted on calling him Master Wallis. He had thought the woman was referring to Derek. Who knows, he thought wryly, maybe by next year he'd be able to convince Mrs. Corning to drop the 'master'.

Master Max. He shook his head inwardly. He felt like a fraud. Well, he reflected, he was a fraud.

"Thanks Mrs. C." He had immediately shortened her name upon meeting her. He knew it discomfited her, but hey, he was the master, wasn't he?

"Lights out." Duo instructed absently upon hearing the door close after Mrs. Corning. He had no use for lights.

"Done." The almost singsong, modulated, and entirely male voice of Duo's voice activated home system confirmed his instruction.

A corner of Duo's mouth quirked upwards. It had taken him a long time to settle on a `voice' that he felt comfortable with. Considering that it was the `companion' he was to live with for the rest of his life, however short or meaningless said life was, Duo was determined to choose one as close to human as he could.

He had even given it a name. Shin.

"Lock up tight, Shin." He reminded casually as he strolled towards the balcony. Only here, in his own home, did he feel comfortable enough to walk without the aid of a walking stick. All the furniture was bolted to the floor, down to the chairs and exercise machines.

"Of course." The computer company had asked Duo to put in as many characteristics for the system as he wished, and he grinned to hear the mildly testy nuance in Shin's voice. Jason had been appalled when he had rattled off `irreverent, argumentative, and arrogant' instead of the usual choice of `amiable, conciliatory and polite'.

"Gawd, Jason," He had drawled out in a thoroughly amused tone. "Why would I want to do that? I'd be taking an ax to the system by the end of the day!" Hell, he had mused to himself, he wouldn't wish that kind of boredom on his worst enemy. Besides, he was a street rat. Polite conversation stifled him; he'd much rather have the casual rudeness anytime.

"Your dinner is going to go cold in another five minutes." The computer informed him. Mrs. Corning always prepared his dinner before going at the end of the day. She left it on the table in the precise placements he'd told her to, to be collected and washed the next day when she reported for work.

"I like cold dinners." Duo retorted lightly as he slipped out the glass doors.

"Why bother cooking it at all, then?" The computer grumbled. "Baka."

Duo's breath caught at the last word. The inflection, with just the right amount of exasperated irritation, had sounded just like Heero. He paused, waiting for the tightness to pass, then went on to lean against the railing. This high, the air was thin and almost chilly against his skin. Briefly, he wondered how dark it really was outside. It was almost autumn, so he supposed the nights would descend earlier. But does it encroach gradually upon the city, descending slowly, stealthily? What would the city look like, all lit up against the darkness of the night? Would there even be stars?

"Is it a full moon tonight, Shin?" He called over his shoulder, certain that the highly sensitive computer would be able to pick up his inquiry.

It took the computer only a few seconds to process the information he required.

"Yes." The computer paused. "Should I take precautions in case you start baying at the moon?"

Duo almost laughed at the complete seriousness of the inquiry. Shin was certainly worth the mind-blowingly exorbitant price he'd paid. The sarcasm had been worthy of Wuffie.

"I'll let you know." He returned gamely, highly amused. He would have to thank Derek for recommending the company. Hell, he owed the Wallises so much he might as well have them adopt him into the family. Oh, yeah, he'd done that already by agreeing to the cousin pretense.

He would have to think of some other way to pay the man back. Duo didn't like feeling indebted to anyone.

Maybe Derek needed to hack into someone's computer mainframe? He could still do that, with Shin's help, of course. But he doubted it. Derek seemed like the responsible, law-abiding, conscience-driven type of guy. Jason was lucky to have a brother like him.

**Maybe if I'd had someone like him…then maybe things would have ended differently.**

He shrugged off the stray thought with a hint of impatience. He was not going to wallow in self-pity. He'd been given his lot in life and he'd dealt with it the best way he knew how. Besides, with his luck, he'd probably drag Derek right down the drain with him.

**Snap out of it, Maxwell.** He straightened and headed back in. The air had gone definitely chilly and he shivered.

"You're cold." Shin 'observed' with a thread of concern coating his voice. "Your jacket's hanging on the coat rack. Put it on before you catch pneumonia and die."

Duo couldn't help it. He burst out laughing. Trust Shin to somehow combine Quatre's solicitousness with Trowa's dry pragmatism.

"You're priceless, Shin." He got out between gasps. "Absolutely priceless."

It never struck him how closely he had molded Shin's character to the four friends he had left behind.

-o0o-

Nearby, a figure looked up at the tall building, eyes narrowed in thought.

He would have to strike soon. Heero was no fool. It wouldn't take him long to figure out that there was no mission. And then to put two and two together. He will realize that Wufei's mission was to take out his partner, and he will try to stop Wufei.

Wufei knew that with absolute certainty. Just as he knew that his own life was forfeit the moment he took Duo's. Heero would not let him live past the day, and Wufei had no intention of avoiding the Perfect Soldier's vengeance. He will have taken the life of a comrade and a friend. Justified, perhaps, in the name of the cause he was fighting for; but unforgivable in the very code of honor he lived by.

Wufei had prayed that he would never be forced to choose between justice and honor.

He was almost glad that after this mission, he would never again have to make that choice.

He will execute Duo for his desertion, and free him from the misery of his handicap; then he will submit to his own execution for betraying his friend.

Wufei nodded. It was fitting.

-o0o-

"Heero!" The strident knocking alone would have had Heero bolting out of bed without the note of panic in Quatre's voice as an added incentive. "Heero!"

**DUO.**

Had something happened? Heero's features were tight with tension when he flung the door open, his senses on full alert.

"What is it?" He barked tersely, his eyes taking in the strain on Quatre's pale face.

"Dr. G!" Quatre got out shakily. "He's here!"

Heero's expression darkened. It was unheard-of for the Gundam scientists to leave the security of the colonies. The risk was too great. For Deathscythe's creator to come to Earth…Heero squared his shoulders.

"Let's go." He led the way to the living room where Trowa sat opposite the casually-dressed scientist. Trowa's features were expressionless, but Heero thought he saw concern in the green eyes. His own eyes hardened in determination.

He sat down directly opposite Duo's `controller', flanked on either side by his friends. A united front.

Dr. G's gaze touched each.

"Chang Wufei?" He queried shortly.

"Gone on a mission." Heero answered.

Dr. G's eyes narrowed.

"When?" He snapped out urgently.

"He left yesterday morning." This time it was Quatre who answered. He was still visibly upset, but his voice was steady, as was his stare. He will stand with his friends, or go down with them. May Allah be merciful.

Dr. G closed his eyes, his shoulders slumping in defeat.

"I came too late, then." He murmured almost indistinctly.

Something in his tone made the hair at Heero's neck prickle with warning.

"What do you mean?" He demanded.

Dr. G sighed, raising his eyes to meet theirs. There was regret in the dark depths.

"I tried to stop them, but they were adamant. They refused to take a chance on Duo." He paused. "Chang's mission is to eliminate Duo. Master O sent the order two nights ago."

Heero's world tilted crazily. His vision darkened.

"What?" He choked out.

"No!" Quatre whispered disbelievingly.

Trowa shut his eyes briefly. A part of him was appalled that Wufei had apparently obeyed the order, but another part of him was relieved that it was Wufei who had received the order. He had been expecting to receive it, had been dreading it.

"Obviously, Duo won't stand a chance against Wufei." Dr. G went on bitterly. "I was already on my way here when I received word of their decision. They had no right!" He burst out angrily. "Duo is my pilot! Deathscythe is my Gundam! They had no right to decide their fate!"

But Heero was no longer listening. Wufei was going after Duo. He shot to his feet and sprinted up the stairs to his room, emerging swiftly with his gun.

"We're going with you." Quatre and Trowa met him at the foot of the stairs, behind them, Dr. G.

Heero nodded. He didn't have time to argue.

**If you've hurt him, I'll kill you, Wufei. I swear it. By the gods, I swear it.**

end Part 11