Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Frozen Heart ❯ Chapter 13

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Frozen Heart 13

Duo closed his eyes, steeling himself against what was coming. Wufei would be using his sword, so he fully expected to feel the cold steel pierce his chest. He clenched his teeth grimly. A clean thrust through the heart was his best bet. Wufei hated making a mess.

However, it was a single shot that sent him sailing violently through the air. He cried out in shock, eyes flying open as he landed hard on the ground and excruciating pain shot through his body. His hand flew instinctively to the burning wound on his shoulder.

Two thoughts occurred simultaneously. First, that Wufei had switched from using swords to guns. And secondly, that he was an incredibly poor shot.

"Dammit!" He groaned harshly, trying to get his feet under him and get up. At this rate, he would have to get Wufei to aim at his head instead of his heart. A bigger target would hopefully compensate for poor marksmanship. "Wufei-"

It was all he was able to get out before rough hands grabbed him and he was unceremoniously jerked backwards. Again, he cried out, as much in surprise as in pain. From behind, gentle hands caught him.

"Easy, Duo. We've got you." A familiar voice said reassuringly.

"Quatre?!" Duo's mind was whirling with confusion and pain, and he sagged against his friend's solid bulk.

"Thank Allah we got here in time." Quatre's voice was tight, and he shuddered in remembrance. He would never forget the scene- Wufei lunging, his blade aimed directly over Duo's heart. Only Heero's quick thinking had saved Duo. Knowing that he had little chance of deflecting Wufei, Heero had removed the target. He swallowed. If Heero had missed…he shook his head. He couldn't even guess at how Heero must have felt. His gaze moved to the two boys facing off before him.

Heero had placed himself squarely between them and Wufei. Once he had placed Duo behind him, his whole attention had been focused on his Chinese teammate. The gun pointed at Shenlong's pilot didn't waver. Time enough later to check on Duo's wound. His mouth tightened with anger.

Wufei had almost killed Duo. Would have killed him if Heero hadn't arrived in time.

Wufei's stare shifted from the gun to the fierce cobalt eyes. Logic dictated he be wary of the rage that burned in Heero's eyes. However, all he felt was blessed relief, followed closely by guilt that he had failed his mission. His mouth tightened. He almost wished Heero had shot him instead. Then, he would have a reason not to push through with this mission from hell.

"I have my orders, Yuy." He said grimly. "Either shoot me or move away and let me complete my mission."

"I'm not letting you kill Duo." Heero told him.

"He's one of us, Wufei." Quatre spoke up pleadingly. He hated seeing his friends on opposite sides, each bearing a deadly weapon aimed at the other. "You can't seriously intend to kill him!"

"You think I want to do this?" Wufei's eyes flashed. "I don't have a choice! None of us do!" Anguish crept into his voice.

"Guys," Duo's voice was strained, but even. "it's okay. Really. Let's just get this over with."

"Shut up, Duo." Heero shot back tersely. To Wufei, he said, "Your mission was issued illegally. Dr. G did not sanction Duo's execution."

Wufei's eyes narrowed even as hope fired inside him.

"It's true, Chang Wufei." Dr. G stepped forward, facing the Chinese pilot squarely. "Master O and the others acted without my consent. Duo is my pilot. Only I can decide his fate." His stare challenged Wufei to refute him.

Wufei hesitated for a moment. He couldn't deny Dr. G's claim. On the other hand, his orders had come from Master O himself. He had no reason to doubt his mentor. His gaze shifted to Duo's pale face.

**Do you really want his death on your hands, Chang Wufei? A small voice asked.**

**No.** It was the only answer he could give.

Wufei straightened slowly, sheathing his katana. Heero lowered his gun. Quatre breathed a little easier as tension dissipated. Beside him, Duo was still speechless, unable to believe what was happening. The transition from almost dying to being surrounded by his friends to having his mentor defending him was just too much for him to absorb. He swayed unsteadily.

Trowa glanced around, wary. Heero had used a silencer, but the park was an open public area, and the others hadn't exactly been keeping their voices down. The last thing they needed was to be discovered by curious civilians. "Duo's bleeding and we are in an unsecured area." He reminded Heero meaningfully. "I suggest we move."

Heero stiffened, remembering, and he immediately turned to check on his partner. True enough, Duo was standing only with Quatre's support. He stepped up to them and ignoring Duo's loud protests, lifted him off his feet.

"Your unit, I think." Quatre told a flushed and red-faced Duo, fighting a grin. He had every reason to be happy. They had averted a tragedy and Heero seemed ready to acknowledge his feelings for Duo.

Now all they had to do was convince Duo to come home.

Duo struggled briefly in Heero's arms. "I can walk." He ground out desperately. He did not like his body's enthusiastic reaction to Heero's nearness, despite the pain it was experiencing.

Heero's hold tightened. "Shut up." He retorted. "Wufei, lead the way." He had no doubt the Chinese pilot had already mapped out Duo's building. It was standard operating procedure in any mission.

Wufei was already moving. "Let's go around the back. Less traffic."

Duo opened his mouth to protest, then thought better of it. When had Heero ever listened to him, anyway? Besides, a little voice whispered, how many chances did he get to be this near to the Perfect Soldier? Cursing his weakness, both physical and otherwise, he shut his eyes and concentrated on conserving his energy for the upcoming battle.

-o0o-

"What happened to you?!"

Duo groaned as the strident demand reverberated around the room. In all the confusion he had completely forgotten about Shin. The computer was never going to let him live this down.

"Don't panic, Shin. I'm fine!" He declared hurriedly before Shin's computer protocol kicked in and called for the building medics. Or worse, Derek. He bit back another groan as Heero lowered him to the bed and the movement unavoidably jarred his injured shoulder. "Damn!"

"You're bleeding." Shin noted matter-of-factly. "Your pulse is racing and you're suffering from mild shock. You should be in an emergency room. Where's Derek and who are these people?" Not waiting for a response, it went on. "Next time you go for a walk, you're taking your gun. I didn't realize the gardens were so dangerous. Better yet, maybe its time you took some more self-defense lessons. Is he even a qualified medic?" The last in reference to Heero who had begun treating Duo's shoulder.

Duo's cheeks were burning as he distinctly overheard Trowa sniggering and Quatre's hastily repressed laughter. Nor did it take much imagination to conjure the smirk on Wufei's face, or the impatience on Heero's. He didn't dare imagine how Dr. G was taking his over-talkative computer.

"Shin, so help me, if you don't shut up-ow!" The threat ended ignominiously as Heero began cleaning the wound.

Satisfied that Heero appeared to know what he was doing, Shin went on. "You're lucky I allowed Mrs. Corning to take the rest of the day off. It's her son's birthday." Shin informed him "Otherwise you'd have her in hysterics. Oh, and Jason called while you were out with Derek. He wasn't happy to hear you two went for a walk." Duo was told smugly. "He's dropping by in an hour or so." It paused significantly. "Should I call him and let him know you're otherwise occupied?"

Duo swore as Heero dabbed at the wound a little more forcefully than was strictly necessary. He `glared' at Wing's pilot. "Your bedside manner hasn't improved one bit." He snapped.

"Tell your computer to shut up before I do it for you. Permanently." Heero shot back, just as viciously. He was heartily sick of the other boys that insisted on dancing around his partner. Even the damned computer was showing a possessive streak where its master was concerned.

**He's mine, dammit!**

Duo's mouth thinned dangerously. He was hurting from his wound, confused by the sudden change of events, and scared of the feelings Heero's presence was dredging up. His carefully restructured life was starting to shake on its foundations, and he masked his fear with anger.

Heero read his expression and his own anger surfaced. Beneath it roiled fear too. Fear that he had almost lost Duo. Again. Fear that he may be too late to reclaim his partner. Fear that Duo had found someone else to love. However, he couldn't afford to examine those fears too closely. Not yet.

Leaning close to Deathscythe's pilot, he whispered fiercely. "Stop pushing me, Duo."

"And who the hell is Duo?"

Duo closed his eyes briefly. Of course Shin picked that up. He sagged against the pillows, his head starting to pound. Stop pushing me. He was pushing Heero? He shook his head and winced. There was just too much to take in, and he was too exhausted to do it right now.

"Shin, for the love of God, put a lid on it." He got out tiredly. "Call Jason and tell him I'll speak with him tomorrow. Better yet. Tell him to wait for my call. And not a word about what happened here." Duo rattled off a code that placed everything exchanged that morning in a sealed confidential folder. Shin accepted the order grudgingly, but didn't argue. Someone handed him a pill and he took it without demur. At worst it was a poison tablet, and at that point, he wasn't sure that wouldn't be the better way out. However, with his luck it was more likely a painkiller.

He sighed and settled more comfortably as the fast-acting drug began to take effect. "Make yourselves at home." He murmured drowsily. "And Yuy, don't you dare lay a finger on Shin."

Quatre leaned down to pat his hair. "Don't worry, Duo. Everything's gonna be alright. You'll see. Rest now."

"Rest." Heero echoed, his features softening as he took in Duo's exhausted face. "We'll talk when you wake."

"Talk? You?" Duo almost grinned, but yawned hugely instead. "That'll be the day."

"Rest, Max." Shin was not to be outdone. "I'll keep an eye on them."

Duo frowned, the blatant challenge in Shin's tone rousing him.

"Shin," He struggled to put some order in his thoughts. He had to make sure Shin didn't inadvertently bring on his own demise by baiting Heero while Duo was out. "See this guy with blue eyes and messy brown hair? He's Heero, and he can dismantle you faster than you can say `reboot'. Don't tempt him…" He yawned again, and unable to fight the drugs, drifted off in midsentence.

"Hn." Was Shin's disgruntled reply, before it cut off all communication.

-o0o-

"Amazing." Dr. G remarked, gazing around Duo's home. He beamed. "I knew he had it in him." Pride sounded in his voice.

Heero followed the scientist's gaze, his expression closed. Dr. G saw Duo's innovativeness and cleverness in the way the latter had designed his home. The rounded corners, bolted-down furniture, even the computer's programming. He saw how Duo had molded his surroundings to adapt to his needs.

And yet, the place made Heero uneasy. It forced him to look at a side of Duo that he had never encountered before.

Order. Discipline. An almost obsessive neatness.

They were traits he had never associated with Deathscythe's manic, carefree pilot. The Duo he knew would have found the place- dull. Boring. For him to have come up with this, to actually live within its confines must have taken immense effort and control. And Duo hated being controlled.

As much as Heero's training admired the simple practicality of the set-up; understood the necessity for it in Duo's condition, another part of him, the part that knew how much Duo hated being confined and regimented, cried out for the blind boy. He wanted-longed to be able to take Duo away from all of this. To shield him from the pain and uncertainty. To protect him.

To love him.

Dr. G's voice broke into his musings and he turned his attention back to the scientist.

"Now, why don't we start unraveling this mess?" His expression turned grave. "I meant what I said a while ago. Only I can decide 02's fate, and I don't like making decisions without knowing the entire story." He fixed his gaze on Heero. "Give me your evaluation of 02's performance."

Silence.

"Alright, let's start with his latest folly. What drove 02 to abandon the mission in the first place?"

More silence.

Dr. G frowned. "Your silence is not going to save 02." He pointed out curtly. "Make no mistake, if I deem 02 to be a true risk to the mission I will order his elimination. I will not entrust Deathscythe to an erratic pilot, no matter what my personal feelings may be on the matter."

"Duo is an excellent pilot!" Quatre blurted out defensively.

"Agreed." Dr. G nodded, his tone enigmatic. "However, it is not his piloting skills in question here, but his motivations."

"02 expressed an attraction to me and I hit him." Heero said finally.

Dr. G's frown deepened. "A petty altercation drove him to desert his gundam and his mission?"

Put that way, it did sound childish and unworthy of a soldier, Quatre admitted inwardly. And it made Duo look pretty bad. He bit his lip anxiously, his mind searching for a way to remain honest without endangering Duo.

"He felt betrayed and rejected."

Trowa fought a small grin as much at Heero's tone as at his words. 01 was obviously out to defend his partner in spite of the latter's obvious failing.-something that the Heero of old would not have done. And to talk about feelings- Trowa caught Quatre's eyes and smiled reassuringly. Perhaps his lover's efforts on this matter weren't going to go to waste after all.

Dr. G leaned back, crossing his arms over his chest. "Hardly reason enough to betray his duty."

"02 has always accomplished his part in missions with dedication." Wufei spoke up at length, his tone carefully neutral. "However, it is a fact that Duo is not the most emotionally stable among us His actions are often dictated by how he feels." It was the truth, after all, and Wufei saw no point in dancing around the truth.

"05, shut up." Heero's glare was hot enough to melt glaciers.

"It's the truth!" Wufei shot back, stung. "How can we expect Duo to act with logic when it is his passion that drives him?"

Trowa spied an opening and went for it. "01, you have pointed out on several occasions that 02's impulsiveness puts us at risk." He said mildly.

Heero's fingers clenched spasmodically. "02 would never knowingly or willingly betray us." He said strongly.

"So your previous evaluations of 02-?" Trowa prodded.

"I was wrong." Heero acknowledged readily. "I misjudged passion for recklessness. I measured him by my standards and expected him to conform to my specs, ignoring the fact that he was trained differently." His voice fell, but his gaze was steady on Dr. G as he continued. "I'm the one who betrayed the mission by forcing 02 to leave. I'm the one who willfully endangered the mission."

"Heero.-" Quatre whispered.

"I'll accept whatever sanction you deem appropriate." Heero went on, ignoring the stunned expressions of the other pilots. "But 02 has suffered enough. If you decide to eliminate him," He raised his chin unflinchingly. "then you will lose two pilots. Wing will not fight without Deathscythe."

**I won't go on without you, Duo. I can't.**

"We're a team, Dr. G." Quatre spoke up quietly. "Sandrock stands by Wing and Deathscythe."

"As does Shenlong." Wufei added.

Trowa nodded his support. It was a given. Heavyarms goes where Sandrock goes.

"I see." Dr. G took off his spectacles and began wiping the lenses.

A tense silence descended on the group.

"Dr. J and the others questioned my choosing Duo Maxwell to pilot Deathscythe, you know." Dr. G said finally, his tone conversational. "Half-wild, loud, irreverent, totally unpredictable. In fact, were it not for his unquestionable piloting skill, he would have been written off by the others." His gaze rose, fixing each of the young men before him with a penetrating stare. "But I saw in Duo the one quality I deem most important in a pilot."

"Duo is a survivor." Dr. G leaned forward. "He survived the streets of L2. He survived losing his friends. He survived Maxwell Church and his first mentor." He stared at Heero. "He will survive losing you." He said pointedly. He put on his spectacles. "The fact is, survivors have the unique ability to cut their losses and start over. They can rise from the ashes because they have the strength of character necessary to determine when to give up, pick up the pieces and move on." Dr. G paused. "Just as Duo has done now."

Dr. G took a deep breath. "However, as with all things, Duo's survival instincts are compromised by his emotions. If his attraction to you had been purely physical, Duo would have been able to shrug off your rejection and remain with the team. Unfortunately, it seems his commitment to you surpasses even what he had shared with Solo." He grew quietly reflective. "I think Duo's wildness, his recklessness was borne out of his need to protect himself from the pain of losing Solo. And now," His eyes traveled the perfect orderliness of Duo's home. "this is his way of protecting himself from losing you."

"He hasn't lost me." Heero whispered.

"Dr. G, how can we help him?" Quatre asked. "The team needs him."

"That," Dr. G shot Heero a significant look. "depends on you. Duo has too much pride to remain where he feels he isn't wanted. And now his blindness exacerbates the situation. He wouldn't want to be a burden to the team."

"I have doctors ready to start treating his eyes." Quatre informed him stoutly. "His blindness is only temporary."

Dr. G nodded. And if that failed he had no doubt the resourceful Arabian would find other ways to make 02 functional once more. Sandrock's pilot had more grit and determination than his soft outward appearance hinted at. He turned to Heero, quirking an eyebrow.

"I do want him." Heero stated firmly, ignoring the heat climbing up his cheeks. He would never deny Duo again.

Dr. G grinned, finally allowing his stern visage to soften.

"Now we're getting somewhere."

end Chapter 13.