Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 7
 
The next couple of weeks passed without incident. Heero worked the three horses he was currently schooling for Treize and was pleased with their progress. Altron in particular was showing signs of being a top horse and Treize was eyeing the animal as an International prospect for the future.
 
Once he'd finished at Treize's, Heero returned home and worked Zero and Shinigami. The older gray didn't need a lot of schooling, mostly simple exercise to keep him fit. Heero didn't jump Zero a great deal in-between shows, the stallion was educated enough and Heero didn't want the gray to sour off before the final selection.
 
Shinigami was a completely different kettle of fish. The youngster happened to be a little hot headed and impatient at times, something Heero was slowly training out of the stallion. It was good that the horse had that fighting spirit, the will to succeed; he would need it if he were to go to the top. It would be some time though before Shini had anywhere near the experience and education to be a top animal.
 
It would come with time and Heero was a patient man.
 
Evenings were usually spent in the practice helping Duo out. Catherine tended to work mainly the morning shifts, there were a couple of evening shifts she did, usually when Hilde was on duty so Duo could enjoy a night off. Cathy also had Sundays and Mondays off as a rule; Sundays being emergencies only for the practice and Mondays were Heero's day off from Treize's so he usually did the reception and balanced the books for the week.
 
The system was working well, both vets saw their fair share of cases and still enjoyed enough time away from the practice to relax and keep from being stressed out. Hilde was also quite happy to swap shifts with Duo, or fill in for him when Duo wished to go with Heero to a show, something the long haired vet was grateful for.
 
Life at the Maxwell Veterinary Practice was good, the client data base was large, business was growing steadily and Duo's bank balance was starting to look quite healthy. All in all, things were really looking bright for the pair.
 
Heero looked up as Duo walked into the reception area and removed his white coat, hanging it on the back of the door.
 
“I'm glad that's all over,” Duo said as he turned round to face his boyfriend. “You nearly finished?”
 
“Hai. I've only got the last three files to put on the database and then I'm done.”
 
“Great. I'll go finish cleaning up the consult room then we can have some lunch before I start on afternoon surgery.”
 
“Need a hand this afternoon?”
 
“If you want to. I don't know if you'd appreciate what I've got booked in though,” replied Duo with a twinkle in his eye.
 
“Oh? Care to elaborate?”
 
“I've got to go out to the Henderson place.”
 
“Really?” Heero cocked his head to the side. Mrs Henderson bred riding ponies, more as a hobby than a serious business. She was also the president of the local Pony Club branch.
 
“She's got a colt she wants gelding.”
 
“Ah.”
 
“Still want to come with me?” Duo couldn't help the snicker.
 
Heero shrugged his shoulders. “I'm happy to come and help.” Whilst he still felt a little uncomfortable when assisting Duo to castrate an animal, and probably always would, he was slowly overcoming his aversion to the operation. At least his balls had stopped trying to climb back into his abdomen; now they were content to draw up close to his body instead.
 
“Thanks. I could do with the help.”
 
“You only want me to keep Mrs Henderson from bullying you,” Heero snorted.
 
“Can I help it if I have an ulterior motive? It's too late now though to back out, you've already said you'll help,” Duo crowed with a grin.
 
Heero shook his head and sighed. “Go finish cleaning up and leave me in peace to get these files all databased, otherwise we won't be going anywhere.”
 
“Yes sir, Mr Yuy, sir,” Duo quipped and saluted before high tailing it out of the reception area.
 
“I give up,” Heero muttered.
 
* * *
 
“He's a nice colt, Mrs Henderson,” Duo said as he eyed the youngster currently being haltered and brought over.
 
“He's not bad, but not up to the top show standard,” replied Mrs Henderson.
 
“Are you going to keep him or sell him?” Heero asked as his experienced eye traversed the lines of the colt's body. He had a few minor faults, hocks could be a little better, he was a touch too long in the pasterns, but overall he wasn't too badly put together. Heero could see that as a stallion the horse wouldn't be up to the standard of what was currently on the show and breeding scene; but as a gelding...
 
“I thought I'd get him gelded then break him in once he's old enough. I'll see how he goes under saddle but I'll most likely sell him once he's gotten a bit of education into him,” Mrs Henderson stated. “Polly will probably take him to a couple of shows and we'll go from there.”
 
“Sounds like a good idea,” Heero said. Polly was Mrs Henderson's daughter, a lively fourteen year old with a gift for riding.
 
Duo cleared his throat. “If everyone's finished, I'd like to get this underway.”
 
“Of course, Doctor Maxwell. Where would you like to do the op?”
 
“I think it would be best to do him here in the yard,” Duo said as he looked around. The yard was twenty meters square with soft, clean sand.
 
“That's fine with me. Is there anything you want me to do?” Mrs Henderson asked as she held the lead rope.
 
“No. We should be fine, Mrs Henderson. If you don't mind, Heero here will be able to assist me easily enough.”
 
“As you wish.” Mrs Henderson handed the lead rope to Heero and moved out of the way.
 
“I'm going to give him a sedative, Heero. That will make him groggy and unstable. He will want to lie down which is what we want. Let him. Once he's down I'll need you to keep his head down whilst I run a rope around his hind fetlock. I'll pass you the rope to hang onto and pull forward. I'll then inject the operation site with a local anesthetic and swab it with betadine. The anesthetic should only take a couple of minutes to work and then I can castrate him.”
 
Heero swallowed and paled a little. “Okay.”
 
“Good. Let's get started.” Duo fetched the things he would need from the trunk of his car and set them down outside the yard. He filled a syringe with the sedative and after swabbing a spot on the neck, he injected the contents into the colt's blood stream.
 
“Walk him around, Heero. That will get the sedative moving through his system a bit quicker.”
 
“Okay.” Heero began to lead the colt around the yard, the youngster following him willingly. After they had completed two circuits the colt started to show signs that the sedative was beginning to kick in. He started to wobble a bit, then stagger as if drunk.
 
“Let him lie down, Heero.”
 
The colt sagged at the knees and then collapsed onto the ground on his side. Duo was at the colt's side immediately, checking the animal's pulse and breathing rate, Heero remained standing with the lead rope in his hand.
 
“Good, everything is fine so far. Right, I'll get you to sit by his head, Heero. Actually, if you could sort of crouch and put your knee against his neck, just there where the neck joins the head, good. Just keep a light pressure with your knee, that way he won't try to get up.”
 
“Okay.” Heero did as he was asked.
 
Duo grabbed the rest of the items he would need and dropped them to the ground within easy reach, but out of the way of the colt. Locating his rope he quickly looped it around the fetlock joint of the colt's left hind leg then ran the rope towards the halter, pushing it through the bottom of the halter and handing the end to Heero.
 
“Here, hold onto this please. I'll just pull the leg a little more forward...”
 
The colt's leg was pulled forth, leaving the operation site exposed.
 
“Perfect.” Duo grabbed another syringe and needle, quickly injecting the anesthetic into the scrotum of the prone colt. Heero shuddered and turned his head the other way. Whilst the anesthetic began to work, Duo picked up the bottle of betadine solution and swabbed the area down, coating it completely in the brownish liquid.
 
Screwing the cap back on, Duo dropped the betadine bottle back with the other items and picked up a couple of clamps, a small 'lazer' and a scalpel. “I'm going to start now, Heero. Keep him still please.”
 
“Hai.” Heero felt the familiar sensation of his own balls retreating as close to his body as they could get.
 
Completely oblivious to Heero's discomfort, Duo began the task of castrating the colt. He quickly incised the scrotum, a cut just long enough that he could draw the testicles out from inside. He located one, withdrew it and clamped over the necessary 'tubes'. He snipped the testicle free, tossed the testicle into a kidney dish and using the 'lazer' he sealed the blood vessels and the vas deferens.
 
“One down and one to go,” Duo muttered as he searched for the second testicle. “I hope you haven't sucked it back up inside. Ah, there you are.” the second testicle made its appearance and was duly snipped and sealed. Duo quickly flushed the operation site with a saline solution followed by a betadine wash before dusting penicillin powder over the site. “There, all finished. I just need to give him a shot of antibiotic, pain relief and tetanus vaccine and that's it.”
 
The entire operation had taken all of five minutes.
 
“You're finished?”
 
“Yup.”
 
“Ah. What about stitching him up?”
 
“Better to leave it open to drain, less chance of infection that way.”
 
“Oh. Okay.”
 
“You can let go of the rope holding his leg now, Heero.”
 
“Ah, right.” Heero released the rope, the vet taking it and slipping it from the colt's fetlock.
 
“When you're ready, hop up and let him get up when he feels like it.”
 
Heero stood, keeping the lead rope in his hand and watching the colt who was slowly coming out of the sedative.
 
“Mrs Henderson, I'll just fill you in on the post operative care for him whilst we wait for him to come out of the sedative completely.”
 
Mrs Henderson nodded.
 
“Keep a close eye on the operation site. There will be a little swelling over the next couple of days, that's natural and will disappear within a week. The wound is not stitched, I've left it open so it can drain but the cut isn't large. Check it daily to see if it is draining okay. After about four to five days the cut will begin to close up by itself. For the first four days I want you to chase him around a bit, get him moving at a trot or canter, that way any fluid that's building up will drain freely, it will also assist in the reduction of the swelling and aid in the healing process.”
 
“Okay. I've got all that.”
 
“If you do notice any abnormal swelling, if the draining fluid should smell offensive or be discolored, ring me. Chances are it won't be anything to worry about but I'd rather be safe than sorry.”
 
“What are the chances of something happening?” Mrs Henderson asked.
 
“It's very rare for infection or anything along those lines to occur. Most animals are fine and back to their normal selves within five days. There's roughly a one in five hundred chance that something can happen. So far, all the castrations I've done have all gone smoothly with no complications at all.”
 
“Thanks, Doctor Maxwell.”
 
“You're welcome. Ah, looks like our friend is returning to the current plane,” Duo chuckled as he watched the youngster roll himself to his chest and lie there for a minute.
 
Standing calmly with the lead rope still in his hand, Heero watched as the new gelding thought about getting up.
 
“Mr Yuy?”
 
“Hai?” Heero turned his attention back to Mrs Henderson.
 
“I believe you are short listed for the Olympic team.”
 
“Yes, I am.”
 
“Congratulations. I sincerely hope you make the final team.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
“Mr Yuy?”
 
Heero knew there had to be more to the conversation that simply congratulating him and it looked like he was right.
 
“Do you think you would be able to spare a couple of hours of your time one Sunday to attend one of our Pony Club rallies and speak to the members in relation to show jumping at International level?”
 
Heero looked a little shell shocked, Duo snickered softly and then quickly turned his attention to the gelding.
 
“I think the members would benefit greatly from hearing what it's like to compete at that level, what's involved and the like. I know they would all simply love to meet you.”
 
“Aa. I don't know. I'm not really much for speaking, and as for lecturing...” Heero shuddered as he thought back to the speech he'd had to give at the welcome party the township had held in his honor when he'd returned from competing in the Nations Cup. He'd relied on Duo to help him out there.
 
“You're being modest, Mr Yuy. We have a lot of riders who jump in the club and I'm sure it would benefit them all to hear you explain about the different types of courses, what the qualifying rules and regulations are for International competition.” Mrs Henderson could sense Heero's hesitation, feel how the man was teetering on the edge. “Please? It's one way to encourage the young to improve, give them a goal to aim for. Somehow by being able to meet you they will realize that International competition isn't out of their reach. They can see that an ordinary, everyday person can succeed if given the right encouragement.”
 
Heero sighed. He knew he was going to regret this. “Okay. I'll come to the club and give a short talk on the rules and regulations for qualifying, but I'll need to check my diary to see when I have a Sunday off.”
 
“Thank you, Mr Yuy, that would be wonderful. If you could just wait here for a second I'll dash inside and get the fixture list for the club for the year, then you will be able to see when we have our rallies and we can sort out a date that's suitable.” Mrs Henderson turned and walked quickly into the house before Heero could change his mind.
 
“Modest, huh?”
 
Heero's eyes turned to glare at his lover.
 
“Not one for public speaking?” Duo couldn't help himself; he had to tease.
 
“Who said I was going to do this alone?”
 
“Eh?”
 
“I'm sure that Mrs Henderson would welcome a 'talk' from a vet in relation to general horse care.”
 
“Now hold on there, Heero. Mrs Henderson only mentioned a talk from you, she didn't say anything about a lecture from me.”
 
“A lecture from you, Doctor Maxwell? I think the members would find that extremely interesting. That's so kind of you to offer.” Mrs Henderson had returned whilst Duo and Heero had been talking and neither man had seen or heard her approach.
 
“Ah, that may not be possible,” Duo began to protest, but Mrs Henderson wasn't having any of it.
 
“I'll pencil you both in for a lecture at some stage during the season. I'll let you confirm the date with me once you know your schedules. Oh, here's a copy of the fixture list for the year. Any of the Sundays I've highlighted are free for lecturing, if you can come on one of those days it would be much appreciated.”
 
“Aa.” Heero took the offered paper from the woman and folded it before slipping it into his pocket.
 
“I think we'd best get going, Mrs Henderson. Everything is fine with the youngster here and I do have other calls to make. Give me a ring if you're unsure about anything, but I can't foresee any problems with him and his recovery.” Duo picked up the items he'd used and carried them back to the car. Heero unclipped the lead rope and let the gelding loose in the yard. The pony immediately shuffled over to his feed bin and began to nose around looking for food.
 
“Thank you again, Doctor Maxwell. You'll send me out the bill?”“Yes. You can expect it at the end of the month when I send all the accounts out,” Duo replied as he closed the trunk and got into the car, Heero climbing in the passenger side.
 
“Thanks again and I'll wait to hear from you regarding the lectures.” Mrs Henderson stepped back and gave a wave as the car departed.
 
Pulling out onto the road, Duo gave a loud groan. “Just what have we gotten ourselves into here?”
 
“Of that, I have no idea, Duo. But rest assured, if I have to suffer then you're going to suffer right along with me.” Heero folded his arms and sat back in his seat.
 
* * *
 
“That's a good boy,” Heero praised as he brought the stallion to a walk and patted the muscled neck.
 
“That should be enough for him today, Heero. Walk him around to cool him off and I'll just finish up with Altron.”
 
“Okay.” Heero gave the horse a little rein so he could stretch out and let him walk around the outer edge of the schooling paddock. His eyes tracked Treize and the big brown as his boss took the animal over the jumping grid once more.
 
The grid was set at four foot with two strides between jumps and five jumps in total. Treize had decided to try Altron over the grid with the jumps a bit higher than usual for the level of training. He wanted to get a feel of how the horse would react when faced with a series of fences, one after the other and not much by way of striding in-between for rebalancing and regaining impulsion.
 
The exercise was a good one, it made the horse take a good look at the jumps and in particular was useful with horses that had a tendency to rush their fences. Heero felt an ache grow in his heart as he thought about the last time he'd used the grid with a difficult horse.
 
Taurus.
 
It still hurt to think of the way the animal had met his fate and Heero often replayed the scenario over in his head, or what he could remember of it. Time and time again he'd looked for a way he could have avoided the tragedy, and each time he'd come back with the same answer - there hadn't been a damn thing he could have done. Even so, the pain of loss still lingered.
 
Altron was different though and Heero knew that. Altron, whilst keen and eager to jump, would listen to his rider. The brown stallion might pull and become impatient, but he still paid heed to his rider's aids.
 
Turning the chestnut beneath him, Heero ran a hand along the muscled shoulder and patted softly. Aries was a good speed horse. He had the cleverness of a cat, quick and easy to turn with an intelligence and eagerness to please his rider. Heero had no doubt that Aries would go on to be a top speed event horse. The animal had already competed successfully in several events and that had given Heero the chance to improve his own skills and tactics when competing in jump offs in Table A events. Treize had a buyer for the animal but wouldn't sell until the horse was educated enough, hence Heero's continued riding of the horse. Treize would not ruin the good reputation he'd built up over the years by selling an animal before he deemed it ready.
 
Having successfully negotiated the grid, Treize settled the brown and brought him over to where Heero was still walking Aries around. They discussed both animals' potential, Treize praising the way Heero had educated the brown stallion thus far. In all honesty, Treize knew there really wasn't anything more he could teach Heero. The young rider had reached the same level as Treize and Treize didn't believe in trying to teach someone something if you couldn't do it yourself and Heero had been taught all Treize knew. Now for Heero to improve further he would need to ride as many different and varied horses as possible and gain further experience that way. That, at least, was something Treize knew he could do for the dark haired man.
 
"You two coming in or are you going to stay out there all night?"
 
Treize and Heero both spun around in their saddles to see who was shouting at them.
 
"Zechs!" Treize's mouth broke into a wide grin and he was quick to turn Altron and head for the gate. Heero followed a few paces behind to give the couple a few moments alone.
 
Treize dismounted and with the reins in one hand, he pulled his lover close and kissed him soundly. Zechs wound his own arms around Treize's waist and returned the kiss with just as much enthusiasm.
 
Heero dismounted, ran his stirrups up and loosened the girth, then he led Aries over to where the two men had come up for air. "Good to see you again, Zechs," Heero greeted.
 
"You too, Heero. How is the riding going?"
 
"Pretty good."
 
"I hear you beat the old man here at the last show," Zechs stated with a grin.
 
Treize glared at his lover. "I'll have you know I'm not an old man! I'm only two years older that you."
 
"Yeah, I did," Heero chuckled. "I guess he's getting a little rusty in his old age." Heero joined the blonde vet in his teasing.
 
Treize tried to look suitably affronted. "You may have been the victor this time, Heero, but watch out at the next show. The tables will be turned," Treize huffed. "And as for you," Treize poked his lover in the ribs, "I didn't hear any complaints about my 'old' and 'rusty' stamina the other night."
 
"Aa. Too much information." Heero began to turn a little red. "I'm going to take Aries back to the stables."
 
"Yes, we should get these beasts back before they start to catch cold. Then I can deal with this other beast. By the way, I wasn't expecting you for another hour yet. Why so early?" Treize asked as he led Altron from the paddock and back to the stables, Heero and Aries following behind whilst Zechs fell into step beside his lover.
 
"I finished surgery early so I thought I'd surprise you," Zechs replied.
 
"Well, you certainly did that," Treize chuckled. "Not that I'm complaining or anything."
 
They reached the stables and began the task of unsaddling and rubbing the horses down. A couple of stable boys came out to help and in no time at all the two stallions had been brushed down, rugged up and returned to their stables.
 
"I'll be heading off now, Treize," Heero said as he collected his car keys from the small 'lunch' room.
 
"Okay. I'll see you on Tuesday, Heero."
 
"I'll be here at the usual time." Heero began to walk away towards his car when Treize called after him.
 
"Good luck for the lecture tomorrow."
 
Heero stopped, turned around and scowled at his boss. "Thanks, I think," he replied, the sarcasm thick in his voice.
 
"Lecture?" Zechs questioned with a raise of his eyebrow.
 
Treize couldn't resist getting a little of his own back for the teasing earlier. "Oh yes, didn't you know, Zechs? Heero here has been asked to give a lecture at the local Pony Club in relation to show jumping and International competition."
 
"Ohh, sounds interesting."
 
"I hate lecturing, I'm no good at it," Heero snapped, the toe of his boot digging into the dirt.
 
"Oh, I'm sure you will do just fine, Heero. Especially since you'll have Duo there for support, not to mention his own lecture..."
 
"Duo's lecturing too?" Zechs looked really interested now. "Where is this Pony Club and what time are you lecturing? I think I'll have to come along for a look."
 
"Don't even think about it," Heero growled.
 
"Awww, Heero. That's not nice," Zechs did his best to pout; unfortunately it didn't work and he ended up looking like he was constipated. Treize couldn't help but snicker.
 
"I'll see you on Tuesday," Heero repeated to Treize. "Have a nice couple of days," he added curtly and turned to continue walking towards his car.
 
"You too, Heero. All the best for the public speaking." Treize watched the shoulders stiffen just a touch and then Heero was once more striding towards his car. Treize shook his head in amusement and then turned his attention back to his lover. "Care to come up to the house and share a pre-dinner drink with me before I get showered and changed for dinner?"
 
"That sounds like a good idea, especially the shower bit," Zechs purred and followed his partner to the manor.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...