Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 8 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 8
 
“I really don't want to do this.”
 
“And you think I do?”
 
“At least you're used to dealing with people, know how to speak to them. I get all tongue tied. You have a way with words and people.”
 
“I'd rather be scrubbing out the dog kennels.”
 
“I think I'd prefer to join you.”
 
Duo snickered.
 
“What's so funny?”
 
“We are.”
 
“Huh?”
 
“I'm a fully qualified veterinary surgeon, used to wallowing around in blood and guts, stitching up horrific wounds and generally saving the animal population. You're an international show jumping competitor, used to competing under extreme pressure with the weight of the nation riding on your shoulders.”
 
“So?”
 
“Both of us are practically wetting our pants over giving a short talk in front of a group of pony club kids.”
 
Heero snorted. “I guess when you put it that way it is rather amusing.”
 
“Amusing? I think downright ridiculous is more to the point.”
 
Heero couldn't help it, he laughed. “Yeah, it does seem a bit absurd. After all, what's there to be worried about? It's just a bunch of kids, that's all.”
 
“And that, my dear Heero, is the problem in a nutshell. Kids.”
 
Still laughing at both himself and Duo, Heero relaxed into his seat. “What are you gonna talk about in your lecture?”
 
“Ah.” Duo's face lit up into a positively evil smirk.
 
Heero swallowed - hard.
 
“I thought I just might give a bit of a lecture on basic horse care. How not looking after their horse properly can lead to injury and illness.”
 
“Errr... Okay.”
 
“Surprising how much effect describing the treatment of a girth gall or an abscess can have on kids. Especially when you get into the parts about cutting an abscess open and squeezing all the pus out, then swabbing it clean.”
 
“Yuk!”
 
Duo simply snickered.
 
“Something tells me we should have done these lectures before lunch, not after it,” Heero sighed.
 
“Aww, Heero? Where's your sense of adventure? If I have to suffer through giving a lecture then the kids can damn well suffer along with me.”
 
“I think they will certainly be doing that.”
 
* * *
 
Mrs Henderson spotted the car as it pulled into the parking area and was quickly walking over to greet the occupants. With the formalities over, she led them towards the club house and introduced them to the secretary, treasurer and chief coach. The chief coach was particularly keen to speak with Heero.
 
She was quick to catch Heero's attention and soon had him bailed up in the corner and bombarding him with questions. Heero wore the look of the proverbial 'deer in the headlights', something that made the vet snigger.
 
The tables were soon turned though when Duo found himself cornered by the treasurer and the talk turned to the breeding and raising of budgerigars.
 
Fortunately for the pair, the instruction that the pony club kids were receiving ended and there was a burst of activity as parents all hurried to assist their offspring with the unsaddling and settling of their horses and ponies. It gave Heero and Duo the chance to regroup and settle their already frayed nerves.
 
Whilst neither man was opposed to kids, in fact they both quite liked them, it was having to deal with a group of them that was off-putting. Both much preferred to deal one on one with a child.
 
The kids all filtered into the club rooms and took seats either on the floor or dragged out plastic chairs to sit on. The chief coach gave them all a brief talk and then went on to introduce Heero, giving a short rundown on who he was and what he had achieved thus far and was hoping to achieve.
 
Heero bravely stood up in front of a sea of expectant faces. Actually there were roughly twenty children, all varying in age from eight-ish through to sixteen or seventeen, Heero surmised. Pulling the sheet of paper out from his pocket, Heero glanced briefly at his notes and then began his 'talk'.
 
"So you see, it doesn't matter if you come from a family that can afford the very best in equipment and horses, or if you have to scrimp and scrape every cent you can, anyone that has the determination and will to succeed will do just that. It takes hard work and dedication to make it to the top of the ladder in competition; it also helps if you have the right horse as well."
 
The kids all chuckled at that. Heero breathed a deep sigh of relief. He'd managed to get through his 'talk' without stuttering or losing his train of thought and kept it easy enough for the kids to understand and follow to boot.
 
"Thank you, Mr. Yuy," the chief coach stated as she stood and addressed the group. "Now, does anyone have any questions?"
 
//Questions!? No-one said anything about answering questions!// Heero's mind went into overdrive, his skin paled and went cold and clammy with sweat. He caught Duo's smirk out the corner of his eye. //Bastard! His lover had known damn well there would be questions and he hadn't seen fit to inform Heero of this. Ohhh, he'd be giving a certain vet pay back later!//
 
Off to the side, Duo snickered quietly to himself as he watched the panicked look spread over Heero's face with the announcement of questions. He'd deliberately not told Heero that they would most likely be questioned on various things; if he had, no doubt Heero would have bolted at the first opportunity. The look Heero was giving him now though assured the vet that Heero wouldn't be letting him off lightly for the lapse in information.
 
Several hands were waved in the air, the chief coach looking around before pointing to one girl who looked to be about twelve. "Christina," she said and nodded to the girl to ask her question.
 
“Mr Yuy, how high are the jumps you have to jump in the Olympics?”
 
Heero turned his eyes to meet with the girl's eyes and he swallowed before replying. “I can't really say how high the Olympic jumps are as I've not competed at an Olympic Games yet. I do know that the qualifying rounds must have heights of between 1.4 meters and 1.6 meters.”
 
“Thomas,” the chief coach said next and indicated for a boy of around sixteen to ask his question.
 
“What are the qualifying events?”
 
“There are many events in which you can qualify, the main ones being the Nations Cup, World Championships and the Grand Prix Table A events; usually the AM3 classes, although there are some AM7 that have the qualifying heights in them.” Heero felt the trickle of sweat run down his spine and he really hoped there wouldn't be too many more questions.
 
“Amanda,” the chief coach nodded to a young girl who looked to be around eight.
 
“How big is your horse? And does he like having his ears scratched?”
 
Heero couldn't help but smile at the youngster. “Zero is 16.2 hands high; and yes, he does like to have behind his ears scratched. He also loves carrots,” Heero added with a wink.
 
“He does?” the young girl asked. “My pony loves sugar cubes.”
 
The questions went on for another five minutes before the chief coach called a halt to the lecture, much to Heero's relief. She quickly thanked Heero for answering the many questions and then went on to introduce Duo to the group. Heero gratefully sat down, glad to be out of the limelight. The palms of his hands were sweaty and yet he wasn't hot at all. He glanced at where Duo now held the floor, the kids all paying rapt attention to what Duo was saying.
 
So much for Duo saying he wasn't any good at lecturing - especially children. The group was mesmerized.
 
Duo swept his eyes over the assembled group, noting those that would listen and gain something from his talk, and those that would simply let it all wash over them. He began by introducing himself and giving the kids a brief run down on who he was and where he practiced. Having gained their attention, Duo proceeded to give them all a talk on basic horse care, how to keep their animal happy and healthy.
 
Heero gave a sigh of relief; after their 'talk' in the car on the way to the pony club, Heero had fully expected Duo to be giving a step by step guide to the removal of a tumor or something equally as gory. He was a little surprised then to hear that most of what Duo talked about was relating to diet, exercise and the importance of having their equines regularly wormed, teeth filed and hoof care.
 
It was an interesting lecture, done in such a manner that the youngest could follow whilst the older ones still remained entertained. With Duo's talk reaching its conclusion, the chief coach once more asked for any questions. Heero smirked to himself as he saw the number of raised hands.
 
It took Duo about another twenty minutes to wade through the many questions the kids had for him and he was quite pleased with the obvious intelligence of some of them, even the little ones had decent questions.
 
Once Duo had finished, the chief coach asked all the kids to show their appreciation by giving the two men a round of applause. With warm thanks and good wishes for his making the Olympic team, Heero escaped, followed by Duo a moment after. Settling themselves into the car, Duo started it up and did his best not to floor it out of the club grounds. Both men wanted nothing more than to escape.
 
Heero let out a long sigh. “If that wasn't torture then I don't know what is.”
 
Duo snorted. “They're only kids, Heero. They have to learn somehow and if we don't pass on our knowledge to them then how are they expected to learn?”
 
“That's why they go to school.”
 
Seeing that the argument wasn't going to be won by either party, Duo relaxed and drove them home. He couldn't help getting in the last word though.
 
“At least Zechs and Treize didn't turn up.”
 
* * *
 
Five more weeks passed and the last big show that the selectors would attend was looming on the horizon. Zero was fit and healthy, muscles rippling beneath his satiny coat. The stallion had performed well thus far and Heero only needed to finish in the top three at this last show and he was in with a very good chance of making the final team.
 
Heero wasn't stupid though. He knew that there were others on the short list that were also vying for a place in the final team; others that in his opinion were better than him. But that remained up to the selectors. Heero could only go on what he saw and competed against here in his own country, he had no idea how those on the European circuit were faring.
 
He figured he'd find out soon enough.
 
Young Shini was progressing in leaps and bounds - literally. Heero had taken the young stallion to a couple of local shows and entered him in the 'D' grade AM3 events, the gray showing his increasing ability and eagerness to learn and jump by placing in the top four at both shows.
 
Quatre had been ecstatic.
 
Heero had cut back a little on the youngster's work, opting to concentrate more of keeping Zero fit and at his peak for the selection. It was almost the end of the season anyway and the horses would soon be turned out to enjoy a couple of months doing nothing but lazing around the paddock relaxing.
 
Heero called it 'giving the horses a spell.'
 
Duo called it 'letting the animals go feral.'
 
Either way the horses benefited from the couple of months of no work whatsoever.
 
The big show at Stanford Equestrian Center was two weeks away and Heero was already beginning to feel the nerves. He couldn't help it. Everything he'd ever dreamed about hinged on this last show and the performance they gave. He could only hope it would be enough.
 
The days spent at Treize's were long and hard, Altron and Aries taking up most of his time. Lionheart had been sold a couple of weeks back, the right person coming along at the right time. Treize had no second thoughts about selling the horse, the new owner was none other than Zoe who had been in the Nations Cup team with them. Zoe's mare Periwinkle was getting on a little in years, turning fifteen that spring and Zoe wanted to pick up something young that showed potential to start working with now with the intent that the new horse would take over from Periwinkle in a couple of years. Something not unlike what Heero was doing with Zero and Shinigami.
 
With only Altron and Aries to work on, Heero found his mounts improving quickly. Both horses had been to another couple of shows, Altron excelling himself and finishing his season off with a win in a particularly hard D grade event. Aries had also gone well, the speed events proving to be his forte. Heero had also improved his speed skills and found them invaluable when competing in a jump off on any of his other mounts. He could see now exactly what Treize had been teaching him over these past six months.
 
Everything was finally coming together and falling into place for the dark haired rider. All he had to do now was continue doing what he did best; ride his horse and clear those jumps.
 
Returning from his day at Treize's, Heero brought the car to a stop around the back of the house he shared with Duo. He'd noted the car park to the surgery was deserted and Duo's car was parked beside his which meant that Duo should be either in the house, or up at the practice. Locking his own vehicle, Heero pocketed his keys and strode towards the house. He'd find his lover, share a few kisses and cuddles before going out and working Zero. Heero was feeling quite pleased with himself, his day's work at Treize's had gone well. Altron was finally starting to get the hang of shortening his stride when Heero asked; no mean feat for a big animal with a long stride like Altron.
 
“Duo? You home?” Heero called out as he removed his boots at the back door and stepped inside. Silence greeted him. Moving through the house, Heero checked all the usual places, kitchen, bathroom, lounge with no success. That could only mean that Duo was still up at the practice. Slipping a pair of sneakers on, Heero headed for the pathway that would take him to the surgery.
 
Opening the back door to the practice, Heero could smell the scent of betadine and hear the 'clink' of instruments which meant Duo had to be in the operating theater. He walked along the hallway until he reached the door to the surgery and made sure to make some form of noise as he did so. He didn't want to go scaring the vet, especially when said vet was obviously operating. He was sure the patient would appreciate that too!
 
Sticking his head inside the surgery door, Heero spotted his lover bent over an animal on the operating table, Catherine at his side passing and receiving instruments. Seeing the movement out of the corner of his eye, Duo turned his head and smiled when he saw Heero standing there.
 
"What's up?" Heero asked as he stepped inside the room and took a look at the dog Duo was operating on, nodding to Catherine as he approached.
 
"Tumor," Duo replied. "Nasty one too. It's only small on the outward surface, but the little bugger goes really deep into the tissues." He paused to wipe the sweat from his brow then bent to his task once more.
 
Heero watched for a moment, the dexterity of those slender fingers never ceasing to amaze him. The concentration was evident in his lover's face as he carefully incised the tissues around the offending lump. "You need a hand or you okay with just Catherine?"
 
"We should be fine," Duo replied, "unless you wish to go, Catherine? I know you should have finished work half an hour ago."
 
"It's okay, Duo. I'm quite happy to stay and help you finish off. The worst of it is just about over anyway, there's only the stitching left to do once you've finished removing that last bit."
 
"If you're sure?"
 
"Honestly, it's okay." The woman smiled at both the vet and his lover then turned her attention to Heero. "Why don't you go work that horse of yours?"
 
"Thanks." Heero gave the woman a soft smile. "I'll see you back at the house later?" he questioned the vet.
 
"Yeah. If I finish up here before you're finished with the nags I'll come out to the paddocks or stable and give you a hand."
 
"Okay." Heero left the pair to it and went to find his horse.
 
* * *
 
Heero had just finished working Zero, pleased with the way the gray had performed and was now in the process of rugging up the stallion before putting him in his stable and fetching the others from the paddock for their dinner. Stepping out of Zero's stable, Heero heard and then saw the approaching car. His curiosity piqued as to why Quatre would be visiting them this late in the afternoon, he started to walk over to greet the Inspector.
 
Quatre turned the engine off and quickly exited the car. He didn't see Heero heading his way from the stables and walked briskly to the surgery. Heero frowned then shrugged his shoulders. Obviously Quatre hadn't seen him; not to worry, he'd catch up with the blonde afterwards. He turned and retraced his steps, feeding Zero and settling the stallion before going out to the paddocks and bringing Scythe and Shini in.
 
By the time Heero had both mare and colt rugged and in their stables, Duo and Quatre were coming his way. Sliding the bolt into place on Scythe's stable door, Heero put the feed bucket down and turned to greet the Inspector. "Good to see you again, Quatre."
 
"You too, Heero."
 
"Heero?"
 
Heero turned towards his lover, noting the look of sadness in those violet eyes. Immediately Heero was on the alert. "What's wrong, Duo?"
 
"I have to go out with Quatre to a R.S.P.C.A. case. It's not going to be a pleasant one either."
 
"Aa."
 
"I'm sorry, Heero, but I need to borrow Duo for a while. This case was reported a couple of days ago and one of our other officers went out to take a look. He filed his report and the case was passed over to me. I've been to court and obtained the necessary papers to enter the property and remove the animals. The police will be meeting me there." Quatre looked about as cheerful as Duo - which wasn't much.
 
"You're expecting some resistance?" Heero could only think that Quatre would need Duo with him, the police and the necessary paperwork if there was going to be trouble when it came to taking the animals away.
 
"Possibly."
 
"Then I'm coming too." Despite knowing that Duo was more than capable of looking after himself, it looked like the blonde could do with all the help he could get.
 
"Thanks, Heero. I do warn you though, it won't be a pretty sight," Quatre reiterated. "I'll give you as much of the details as I can on the way."
 
* * *
 
"Here we are," Quatre stated as he pulled up out the front of a modest looking house. A police car was already parked there and the constable waiting for them. "You got everything?" Quatre asked Duo as they prepared to get out of the car.
 
The vet nodded and picked up his black bag. "Better get this over and done with as soon as we can."
 
"Right." Quatre double checked he had the paperwork before getting out of the car and locking it. He greeted the constable and exchanged a few words then turned towards the house. Duo and Heero followed him up the path to the front door, Heero's eyes, Duo's too, widening in shock the closer they got.
 
Quatre had given Heero a brief run down in the car on the way over. A complaint had been lodged, a woman was accused of having roughly fifty cats in her home. None were allowed outside and no-one saw much of the woman either. The complaints were about the noise and the smell. Even as they walked towards the front door, Heero could feel his nostrils twitching and resisted the urge to breathe deeply.
 
Quatre's knock was answered after a couple of minutes, a middle aged woman sticking her head around the door and glaring at Quatre.
 
"Miss Allbright?"
 
"Whadd'ya want?"
 
Quatre held up his Inspectors badge and accompanying paperwork. "I'm Inspector Winner from the R.S.P.C.A, ma'am. The association has received numerous complaints about your cats and an inspector was dispatched a few days ago. His report found the complaints to be warranted and I'm here to enforce the court's decision."
 
"I don't understand all that mumbo jumbo ya sproutin'. Get to the facts, sonny."
 
"In simple terms, Miss Allbright, I'm here to remove all felines on the premises and issue you with a summons to appear in court on a date to be specified to answer charges of neglect and cruelty to cats and kittens."
 
"What?! Ya can't come in 'ere and tek me cats! They's mine, I took 'em in and fed 'em when no-one else would." The woman was clearly upset.
 
"I know you took them all in, Miss Allbright, only problem is you don't have the resources to care for them properly," Quatre replied and edged his foot inside the doorway.
 
"She doesn't look like she's capable of looking after herself let alone a cat," Heero muttered.
 
"I won't let yer!"
 
"I'm afraid you have no choice, Miss Allbright. The paperwork is all there and the constable here will apprehend and hold you if necessary," Quatre continued. It was clear he really didn't want to have to go to those lengths, but if the woman wasn't about to cooperate he'd have no choice.
 
Moments later the woman was restrained by the constable and the three could make their way inside the house.
 
"Oh my god," Duo cursed and quickly grabbed his handkerchief from his pocket, placing it over his nose. The other two mimicked his actions, all three were overcome with the smell from the house.
 
"She lived in all this?" Heero asked, his eyes widening in disbelief.
 
"Yeah. Makes you wonder about the mental state of some people, doesn't it?" Quatre replied. She wouldn't open a window in case one of the cats escaped, at least that's what the neighbors said."
 
"This is revolting. How could anyone live like this?" Duo's stomach, that was pretty much made of cast iron given his career, was starting to rebel. Everywhere you looked there were cats or kittens, filthy water bowls, some with algae growing in them. Bowls with food crusted to the rims or green with mold. As if that wasn't bad enough, everywhere reeked of urine and faeces. The reason for that becoming evident as they stepped around the many piles of waste accumulating on the floor.
 
Heero clutched the handkerchief tighter around his mouth and nose. "I think I'm going to be sick."
 
* * *
 
It took four hours for the job to be completed. Many photos had to be taken of the squalid conditions and the cats ensconced there before the three could set to work. It was a slow process, catching and assessing each cat or kitten then placing it inside a cat cage or if the feline was too far gone, Duo quietly euthenased it.
 
Many of the cats were nothing more than skeletons, some had large, festering sores on their bodies from obvious fighting; all were riddled with fleas and lice.
 
By the end of the process, Quatre had six cats and fourteen kittens safely secured in cat cages in the back of the Landcruiser. A further thirty two cats and sixteen kittens had been painlessly put out of their misery, they had been to far gone for Duo to be able to do anything for them.
 
The constable released the woman and handed her the papers Quatre had passed over informing the woman of her rights and of the charges brought against her. She was also reminded she would need to front court on the requested date.
 
Having done all that they could, the three climbed back into the Landcruiser, Quatre dropping Duo and Heero back at the practice before heading to the Barton Animal center with the 'refugees'. Duo promised to write up his own report on what he'd seen and pass it on to Quatre in the next few days. With their goodbyes said, Quatre departed.
 
"Come on, Heero. I need a hot shower after all that," Duo said and wrinkled his nose. "Gertrude is gonna have a hissy fit when she has to wash this lot!"
 
Heero chuckled at the vet's name for the temperamental washing machine. "I think it would be easier and probably safer to just burn these clothes. I swear I've got fleas crawling up my inside leg!"
 
Duo immediately began to scratch at his own thighs. "Did you have to say that?"
 
Snickering, Heero grabbed his partner around the waist and pulled him towards the bathroom. "Don't worry, Duo. I'll be more than happy to 'de-flea' you."
 
Duo simply moaned - and continued to scratch.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...