Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 48 ( Chapter 48 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
 
Chapter 48
 
Four weeks after Heero had received his letter from the E.F.A. informing him of his shortlisting for both Nations Cup and Olympic teams, he received another letter. Duo was waiting for him when he returned from work, letter in hand and smiling excitedly.
 
Heero took the letter and tore open the envelope, Duo almost bouncing on the spot beside him as he scanned the contents. A broad smile broke over his face as he read.
 
“Well? I take it, it's good news?” Duo asked body thrumming as he waited for Heero to tell him what the news was.
 
“Hai, it is.”
 
“Are you going to tell me?”
 
“It's about the camp for the Nations Cup.”
 
“Ah. What do they say? Is it being held close, at Waybridge again? When is it? How long does it last this time? Will it be the same type of format?” Duo fired off the questions in rapid succession, then paused to take a breath and smile sheepishly at his lover. “Sorry.”
 
“It's okay,” Heero chuckled and then planted a big kiss to Duo's lips.
 
“Mmmm... Nice.”
 
“Now, in answer to your questions,” Heero grinned as he pulled away. “The camp is in four weeks time and it's at Waybridge again. The principal sounds much the same as last time with the horses and riders welcome to stay or commute. It will be the same length of time; one week. I'd say the camp format will be basically the same as last time with a week's instruction and the final team selected at the end of the week.”
 
“Cool.” Duo frowned for a moment. Heero caught the frown.
 
“What's up?”
 
“I hope you're not planning on taking as much stuff again this time as you did last time.”
 
Heero had to snicker at that. He recalled the camp with Zero and all the extra gear he'd packed.
 
“If you are then I'd better contact Treize and see if he's willing to let Romeo travel down in the float with Shini.”
 
“Why would he want to do that?” Heero asked, clearly puzzled. “He's got his own four-horse goose neck.”
 
“Yeah, I know. But he'll need all the space in his float for your gear.”
 
“Baka!” Heero smacked the vet across the back of the head.
 
* * *
 
Treize had also received his letter regarding the camp and in the weeks leading up to it, he'd begun to ease the workloads of the horses currently being schooled in his stable. Like the last time, with both himself and Heero attending the camp, it would be up to Otto and the stable hands to keep the horses exercised. Whilst Treize trusted Otto explicitly with the well being of the animals, none of the stable boys, or Otto for that matter, had enough riding experience to continue with the education of the current team he had in work. It was far better to ease off now and just have the horses exercised than try to continue their training in his absence and have who knew what go wrong. Horses were very quick to pick up bad habits.
 
Heero had spoken to Treize regarding his arrangements for Romeo and was pleased when Treize told him he planned on doing the same as he had previously with Goose. He would leave Romeo at Waybridge and commute each day. Joe would be staying again to look after the stallion and had been more than happy to look after Shinigami as well when Heero had asked both him and Treize if that would be okay.
 
With the horses organized, it was simply a case of the riders doing the same. Treize had politely asked if Heero was planning on taking as much gear with him this time as the last and if so, should he rent a small truck?
 
Heero had looked suitably miffed and then let on that Duo had said much along the same lines. The pair had a good chuckle over that. Seeing as they were both commuting, they agreed to share the daily transport. One day they would take Heero's car, the next, Treize's.
 
All that remained now was for Duo to organize his practice with Hilde and Catherine so he could have a few days off to help Heero.
 
Hilde and Catherine were both thrilled that Heero had made the shortlists for both teams and immediately insisted that Duo take the entire week off to be with his partner; not only as a groom but for moral support as well.
 
Duo hadn't wanted to take all week off and had protested that it wasn't fair to Hilde to expect her to carry all the shifts and he could see no reason why he wouldn't still be able to work the evening consults. After much discussion between Hilde and himself, both relented a touch and agreed that Duo would do three evenings during the camp week and Hilde would cover all the day consults, remaining evening ones and all surgery - unless an emergency came in that would require the skills of both vets and then Duo could be paged.
 
With the vets' rosters worked out and everyone happy with the arrangements, all that remained was to wait for time to pass and the camp date to arrive.
 
* * *
 
It was the day before the camp and Heero was busy sorting through the gear he would need to take for Shinigami. With thoughts of the mountain of gear he'd packed the last time swirling in his head, he was determined not to do the same this time. He also reasoned that if he needed anything extra, he could always take it the next day. Besides, if he needed anything in a hurry he was sure he would be able to borrow something off one of the other riders.
 
Duo had sat down with him the previous evening and they'd written out a list of things he would need to pack. Heero was grateful now for the list, it would make life so much easier. He stood in the doorway of the tack room and scanned down the list, glancing up from time to time at the tack room. With a sigh he thought he'd better get started.
 
Having finished afternoon surgery, Duo went back to the house to find it empty. Smokey was there, but not Heero. Duo watched the kitten as she played with her toy mouse, batting at it and sending it flying across the floor only to pounce on it again. He snickered at the antics. Smokey had grown a lot over the past weeks and was now about half her eventual size. In another few months she would be old enough for Duo to spay.
 
There was only one place that Heero could be, and that was down the stables. Duo just hoped he'd stuck to the list they'd drawn up, otherwise it wasn't going to be easy to fit everything into the car. “Come on, Smokey, let's go find your dad,” Duo said as he scooped the kitten up in his arms and headed out the back door.
 
“How's it going?” Duo asked as he walked into the stable block and found his lover where he thought he would be - standing amongst a pile of saddlery.
 
“Hn. I think I'm getting somewhere,” Heero replied as he gazed at the pile.
 
“It's not as big as last time so I guess that's some consolation.” Duo teased as he put Smokey down on the floor. The kitten immediately began sniffing around everything.
 
“And so it shouldn't be,” Heero huffed. “I have done my best to stick to the list.”
 
“I can see you have,” Duo replied as he wrapped his arms around Heero's waist and nuzzled his neck. “Treize will be relieved as not doubt Henrietta will also.”
 
“I don't know why you insist on calling my car Henrietta,” Heero groused.
 
“It suits her,” Duo snickered.
 
“Next thing you'll be calling the horse float 'Florence'.”
 
“Nah, I wouldn't do that, Florence is too outdated for the float.”
 
Heero quirked an eyebrow. “Thank god for that,” he muttered.
 
“The float's more like 'Tank',” Duo stated.
 
“I give up.”
 
* * *
 
With Heero having managed to sort out all his gear, Duo gave him a hand to pack it all into the car. Everything fitted just fine and Duo couldn't resist the urge to crow over that. Now that the gear was all taken care of, it was simply a case of making up the feeds Shini would need for the week. Heero decided to do the same as last time and make the individual feeds up and then place them into smaller bags to transport. Treize had already offered to take a bale of hay in the goose neck for him so that was one less thing to worry about.
 
Heero had almost finished the last of the feeds when he spotted Smokey out the corner of his eye. She was at the base of the stack of hay bales, her attention focused on something in the hay. Heero nudged Duo with his elbow and nodded in the direction of the kitten.
 
Smokey watched carefully, her eyes never leaving her prey. She crouched, drew her hind end under herself and then suddenly leapt forward, disappearing underneath the hay bales. She reappeared a moment later looking very smug with something in her mouth. She strolled over to Heero and lay the 'present' at his feet.
 
“Oh, yuk,” Heero said.
 
Duo snickered. “You really should praise her you know.”
 
Sitting at Heero's feet, Smokey looked up at her owner feeling rather pleased with herself.
 
Heero glanced down again. Right in front of the kitten lay a mouse. Heero couldn't tell if it was still alive or not. Smokey batted at it with a paw, but the mouse didn't move.
 
“You did say she would be a good mouser and keep the rodent population under control,” Duo reminded him.
 
“Yeah, I know. I just don't like to see things tormented though. I wish she would just kill them outright.”
 
“Unfortunately, it's part of a cat's makeup, years of instinct and all that.”
 
Heero sighed and looked at the mouse again. There was no movement, not even from the rib cage so Heero deduced that the mouse was dead.
 
“Probably died of shock, I'd say,' Duo stated as he bent down to pet Smokey. “Good girl, you keep those mice under control.”
 
Smokey looked even more pleased with herself and giving a loud purr, she began to wander off into the hay again, looking for more 'victims'.
 
“I think I'll finish loading these feeds into the car and then bring the horses in. I want to give Shini an extra grooming tonight,” Heero said, changing the subject and doing his best to ignore the body at his feet.
 
Duo watched his partner leave with several bags in hand and shook his head. He looked at the mouse on the floor and picked it up, carrying it over to the rubbish bin and depositing it inside. Who would have believed that Heero, the person who had helped him with countless operations, been up to his armpits in blood and gore would feel squeamish over a kitten catching a mouse?
 
* * *
 
Heero was up bright and early on the morning of the camp. He had the horses all out in their paddocks, Shinigami in the small yard, all breakfast feeds in and stables done by seven-thirty. He was just pouring the hot water into the mugs of coffee when a sleepy looking Duo shuffled into the kitchen still in his pajamas.
 
“Morning,” Heero greeted and pressed the hot mug into his lover's hands, gracing a kiss to those sweet lips at the same time and ignoring the morning breath.
 
“Morning, I think,” Duo mumbled back and continued his shuffle across the kitchen to the table where he sat down and rested the mug on the table top. He folded one arm onto the table top and lowered his head to it, closing his eyes and sighing softly.
 
“You okay, Duo?” Heero asked. It was unusual for Duo to be this tired of a morning.
 
“Fine,” came the mumbled response.
 
“Couldn't you sleep?”
 
“When I actually got the chance to get in the bed, yes, I could sleep,” Duo replied and yawned.
 
Heero frowned, clearly missing something here. “What happened?”
 
“Got a call out about half an hour after you'd gone to bed,” Duo said.
 
Heero thought back to the previous evening. He'd managed to finish getting all his own clothing sorted out and put ready for the first day of the training camp and had taken a hot shower. Duo had given his tired shoulder muscles a soothing massage, one that had him on the verge of sleep. He'd wandered off to bed, Duo stating he would be along just as soon as he'd locked up and taken his own shower. Heero didn't remember anything after he'd crawled between the sheets. He must have been a lot more exhausted than he'd thought. “Oh. I'm sorry,” Heero said, feeling guilty that he obviously hadn't woken at all, not when Duo had left or returned.
 
“Not your fault, nothing you could have done. It's just one of those things,” Duo replied and took a sip of his coffee in an attempt to wake himself up a bit.
 
“What was the call out?”
 
“Colic.”
 
“Ah.”
 
“Luckily it was in the very early stages and the owner didn't waste any time in calling me. Still, it took two doses of oil to get the blockage to shift.” Duo took another swallow of the coffee, feeling the caffeine starting to kick in a little.
 
“What time did you get back in?” Heero questioned doing mental calculations in his head. He remembered the clock saying ten-fifteen when he'd gone to bed.
 
“I think it was two-thirty-ish.”
 
Heero's calculations told him that Duo would have needed about another half an hour in which to fall asleep which meant he'd had only about four to four and a half hours sleep in total. Concern filled his blue eyes and he rested a hand on his lover's shoulder. “You should go back to bed and sleep. I can get Shini loaded up and go to the first day of camp on my own. I'll be fine.”
 
“Nope. No way am I gonna miss this training camp. You've worked so hard for it and I want to be there to support you,” Duo replied. “Besides, the caffeine is starting to work. I'll grab a shower and that should help me finish waking up.”
 
“Are you sure?”
 
“Heero, even if I did stay home, there's no way I could sleep. I'd be thinking about you all day, wondering what you're doing, how Shini is going, who the other team hopefuls are. 'Sides, I can always cat nap on the trip there and back.”
 
“I see your point. Okay, you take your shower and don't rush. Everything is under control, the horses are all done and I was just about to start breakfast.”
 
“I'll just finish this coffee and then take that shower,” Duo replied as he put his head back on his arm and closed his eyes.
 
Heero snickered.
 
* * *
 
“Duo? Duo, wake up.” Heero reached across and gently shook his partner.
 
“Mmm… If he's no better by tomorrow, give me another call,” Duo mumbled and buried his face deeper into the seat head rest that he was currently using as a pillow.
 
“Duo, time to wake up, we're almost there,” Heero tried again, only just managing to keep his chuckles to himself. It was obvious his lover was dreaming about a client.
 
“Too early, don't wanna wake up.”
 
“Duo, we're about two minutes off Waybridge, I think you need to wake up.”
 
“Huh?” Duo stretched and yawned, violet eyes sleepily opening to look around himself. “What did you say?”
 
“I said, we will be pulling into Waybridge in about two minutes,” Heero repeated.
 
“Ah.” Duo managed to drag himself up, reaching for the seat control at the side and bringing the seat back into a more upright position. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes, scratched his stomach and yawned again.
 
“Feel any better?” Heero asked as he indicated and turned into the driveway that would take them to the Waybridge estate.
 
“Yeah, a bit. I know I'm gonna sleep like a log tonight though,” Duo replied as he straightened his rumpled clothes and ran his fingers through his bangs. Fortunately his braid was still pretty neat so he didn't have to worry about that.
 
They traveled slowly along the driveway, the Waybridge estate appearing before them as Heero turned the car and drove past the manor house and into the familiar stable area, pulling up alongside the other cars and floats. He spotted Treize's goose neck and Joe busily unloading gear. Cutting the engine, Heero hopped out and called to Joe who waved back and then filled his arms with gear and disappeared in the direction of the stable block.
 
Duo managed to fight his way free from the seatbelt and join Heero outside the car. “Suppose we should find the boss man and see where Shini is gonna be stabled and where you can stow your gear.”
 
“Good idea,” Heero replied and set off in the direction of the stables, Duo beside him.
 
They entered the stable block and were pleased to see Mueller, the head groom from before still there and answering the many questions being asked of him with a long suffering patient look on his face. Heero waited until the others had finished and then stepped forward.
 
“Good to see you again, Mueller,” Heero said as he extended his hand.
 
Mueller took it and shook the hand, peering at Heero and obviously racking his brain for a name.
 
“Heero Yuy. I was here for a Nations Cup camp about four years ago with the big gray, Zero.”
 
“Ah, I remember now. Good to see you again, Heero. You have your gray again?”
 
Heero shook his head. “No, Zero's been retired to stud. He had an accident jumping and although he's recovered from the injury, he won't jump again.”
 
“Sorry to hear that, he was an exceptional horse.”
 
“Hai, he is. I've got his son this time and I'm hoping he will carry on his father's legacy.”
 
“If he's anything like his sire, he'll be a damn good horse then,” Mueller said. “Come on, I'll show you where his stable is. You can store your gear in the same place as last time.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
* * *
 
Within a couple of hours everyone had arrived and all the horses had been stabled and gear stored away. Heero was pleased that Shini had settled really quickly and seemed to be quite happy in his new surroundings. He'd been rather edgy when he'd come off the float, but Heero had expected that and walked the stallion around a little to have a good look at his surroundings before taking him inside the stables and putting him in his allocated box. With a fresh haynet to pick at, Shinigami had checked out the stable and found it to be to his liking. He exchanged a few neighs with other horses, hung his head over the stable door to observe for a few minutes and then went back to eating.
 
“Come on, he's fine,” Heero said as he gave a relieved sigh. “We're all wanted inside the manor for the usual briefing.”
 
Giving Shini one last pat, Duo followed his lover in the direction of the manor.
 
The meeting was in the same room as last time and everyone seemed to be talking at once. Heero found Treize chatting with Zoe and immediately went across to them.
 
“Heero!” Zoe sprang forward and enveloped Heero in a hug. “So good to see you again.” She released Heero and spotted Duo. “Duo!” she exclaimed and pounced on him next.
 
Duo returned the hug and gave the woman a kiss to the cheek which sent her blushing madly. “How is Michael?” Duo asked when they separated.
 
“He's fine. Actually, he's here as my groom so you will have someone to talk to whilst we're all out there being grilled in the finer points of horsemanship,” Zoe returned with a grin.
 
“How's the wedding plans coming along?” Heero asked politely.
 
“Don't ask.” Came a voice from behind them and both men turned to find Michael standing there.
 
“Bit of a sore point, I take it?” Duo snickered as he shook hands with Michael.
 
“I'm just fed up of wedding talk,” Michael grumbled and shook Heero's hand. “It's all she seems to chat about these days. If it's not flowers, it's cars; if it's not cars, it's what entree to have on the reception menu. I'll be glad when it's all over to be honest.”
 
“You could always elope,” Heero suggested with a smirk which earned him a smack to the arm from Zoe.
 
“You're having cars for the transport? I thought you would have had a horse and carriage,” Duo mused.
 
“Ohhh, I didn't think of that,” Zoe exclaimed.
 
“Thanks a lot, Duo,” Michael groused.
 
“Any time, buddy,” Duo grinned.
 
Further discussions were put on hold as a familiar face entered the room and began to call everyone to order. People stopped milling about and all took their seats, looking expectantly at Noin.
 
“For those that don't know me, I'm Lucrezia Noin and I'm the official E.F.A. head coach. This is Captain Dermail who will be assisting in this training camp.” Captain Dermail stood up and nodded to the riders and grooms before resuming his seat. “Unfortunately, David Prescott, the head selector couldn't make it today, but he will be in attendance tomorrow and throughout the remainder of the camp along with several other selectors.” Noin went on to explain the purpose of the camp and the process for final team selection.
 
Heero listened with half an ear, most of it he remembered from the last camp he'd attended. He was pleased to see Captain Dermail again, the man was an excellent instructor, as was Noin and he'd learnt a lot from both of them. He was looking forward to learning even more and fine tuning his skills.
 
Once the week's agenda had been discussed, Noin moved on to the introductions; again in the same way as previous camps. Zoe was first to go.
 
“Hi all, I'm Zoe and the bay, Lionheart is my mount. This is Michael, my groom and also my fiancé.” Zoe smiled at everyone.
 
“Welcome back, Zoe and congratulations to you both,” Noin said with a warm smile at the pair. “Next?”
 
“Treize Kushrenada, this is Joe, my groom and the bay stallion, Romefeller is my horse.”
 
“Good to have you back again, Treize,” Noin said.
 
Then it was Heero's turn. “Heero Yuy, my groom, Doctor Duo Maxwell and my horse is the gray, Shinigami.”
 
“That's an unusual name for a horse,” Noin said. “Is it foreign?”
 
“Hai, it's Japanese for God of Death,” Heero replied going a little red in the face.
 
“Hopefully, his nature isn't a reflection of his name,” Noin said with a bemused smile.
 
“No, his nature is kind,” Heero replied, still blushing.
 
“Then let's hope he just wipes the floor with the opposition,” Noin said with a chuckle. “Who is next?”
 
A young man sitting opposite Heero stood up. “Hi all, I'm Adam Willmot, my horse is the chestnut mare, Promises and my groom is Jack.”
 
“Welcome aboard, Adam, Jack,” Noin smiled and nodded, then she looked at the next person.
 
“Peter Denton, this is my groom, Lorraine and my horse is SkyHigh, the black one that doesn't want to settle down.”
 
“I'm sure he will settle very shortly, Peter,” Noin said kindly.
 
“I hope so,” came the reply.
 
“And our last rider?”
 
The only other female in the group stood up. “I'm Jenny Marks, my groom, Bronwyn and my horse is the other gray stallion; Charade.”
 
With the introductions over, Noin handed out sheets of paper to everyone with the week's schedule typed on it. As Heero had assumed, the plan was very similar to the previous camp with all riders being slotted into two groups of three. They would have a lesson in the morning with either Noin or Dermail and then swap instructors for the afternoon lesson. A couple of days had some non-riding time allocated and Noin explained that these days would be used as theory lessons where they would cover the technicalities of courses, jumps and various other smaller but no less significant things.
 
Heero read through his schedule, pleased to note he was with Treize and Adam for his lessons. That meant Zoe would be with Jenny and Peter.
 
Once everyone had read through and any questions answered, Noin informed them all they would adjourn to the dining room for lunch and then all riders were to mount up and meet in the schooling paddock for an assessment lesson.
 
Heero was excited as he and Duo walked towards the dining room. Treize and Michael were involved in a deep conversation and Zoe was busy chatting to Jenny. The food was laid out in a buffet style and was just as excellent as Heero remembered it to be. Both filled their plates with a selection and found seats at the large table. Zoe and Michael joined them.
 
“Before I forget, I've got something for both of you,” Zoe began and fished around in her small backpack. Finding what she wanted, she smiled and handed over a gold envelope to Treize, then another to Heero. “Wedding invitations,” she informed them.
 
“Thanks,” Heero replied and set his cutlery down to open the envelope.
 
Treize also gave his thanks and opened his own.
 
Duo read over Heero's shoulder, a smile on his lips when he saw the invitation was to the both of them. Whilst neither of them had enlightened Zoe to their true relationship, Duo knew Zoe was a smart woman and most likely had guessed; either that or she'd found out via the grapevine after their altercation with one Relena Peacecraft a few years ago.
 
“Two months after the Nations cup?” Duo questioned as his eyes scanned the invite.
 
“Yep,” Zoe replied. “We figured we would be best having it then, that way there's plenty of time for the honeymoon before getting back to work on the horses for the Olympic selections.”
 
“You know, most people organize their weddings to a date that they like or is significant to them for whatever reason. You're the first couple I've known to organize their wedding around a horse show,” Duo chuckled.
 
“Welcome to the world of the equestrienne,” Treize snickered. “You're slowly finding out that when there's horses involved, everything else takes a back seat.”
 
“Don't I know it,” Duo laughed and gave Heero a playful look.
 
Heero opted to remain out of the conversation.
 
“I hope you will all be able to attend,” Zoe said.
 
Treize studied his invite again and then spoke. “I notice you've put on mine to me and 'partner',” he began, “As I currently don't have any female involvement other than my housekeeper, would it be okay for me to bring a very close male friend?”
 
“Of course, Treize.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
Heero and Duo exchanged glances, admiring the diplomatic way Treize had managed to include Zechs as his 'partner' without revealing anything of his true sexuality.
 
Noticing that the dining room seemed to be emptying out, Heero took a look at his watch. “Shit! We'd better get a move on people, we're expected in the schooling paddock in half an hour.”
 
Hastily swallowing the last of their lunches, the group left to prepare their mounts for the assessment lesson.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...