Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 49 ( Chapter 49 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 49
 
All horses and their riders presented themselves in the schooling paddock with five minutes to spare and began to walk their mounts around whilst waiting for the instructors. Duo, Joe and Michael found themselves a spot under a tree to watch where they wouldn't be in the way, but close enough to hear what was going on.
 
The weather was being kind, a mild, sunny day with a light breeze blowing. Duo watched Shini as he pranced around, showing off a little.
 
“He looks good.”
 
Duo turned slightly to Michael who had spoken. “He's still a bit green, or so Heero keeps telling me, but I think he's doing okay,” Duo replied.
 
“He's be doing better than okay if he's been selected for the shortlists,” Michael chuckled.
 
“Lionheart is looking well,” Joe commented as he watched his former 'charge' walking around with a long, easy stride.
 
“He's a great horse, lots of potential and just perfect for Zoe,” Michael replied. “She got herself a good deal when she bought him from Treize.”
 
“Heero always said that Lion had the ability to go far with the right rider. He's the one that did all the basic schooling with him, got him up to par before Treize sold him on to Miss Harrison,” Joe explained.
 
“Yeah, I know Heero's the one responsible for his early schooling and he did a fine job too.”
 
All three switched their attention then as Noin and Dermail entered the paddock and called the riders over. The six hopefuls lined themselves up and waited for instructions.
 
“This will be more of an assessment than anything. We want to get a good idea of you and your mount's capabilities, see what areas you excel in and what areas you need to work on. That way we can work out the best way to coach you all to achieve your potential.” Noin glanced at each rider to make sure they were listening.
 
“Okay, we will begin with working on the flat. Zoe, you lead off on the right rein at a walk, the rest of the riders follow on and keep one horse length between you and the horse in front.”
 
Zoe nudged Lion and the horse began to walk forward, Zoe turning him and starting to walk on a large circle in a clockwise direction. Treize followed then Heero. Peter, Jenny and Adam all joined in respectively.
 
As the riders and their horses walked the circle, Noin and Dermail looked at them critically, noting everything from the position they sat in the saddle in, to the length of each horse's individual stride. They made mental notes, consulted with each other and generally agreed on what they found lacking or otherwise.
 
“Trot on,” Noin called out and the riders all shortened their reins and pushed their horses forward into the trot.
 
Whilst the riders and horses were put through their paces, Duo, Michael and Joe all watched intently, noting themselves how each of the three new riders and horses performed. Duo hadn't seen any of the three in competition before, neither had Joe, but Michael had come across Peter on a couple of occasions.
 
“He's a very skilled rider and this horse he's got is very good,” Michael informed them. “It's been around for a while, jumping overseas which is where Peter spotted it and managed to persuade the person that owned him then to sell him. Peter and the horse only returned to Australia about six months ago after competing for a while on the American circuit.”
 
“Has he competed much on him here?” Duo asked as he watched the big, black stallion working calmly with the other horses.
 
“He's only had him out over the last three months and during that time, he's pretty much won everything he's been entered in,” Michael replied.
 
“I don't recall seeing him at any of the shows.”
 
“You wouldn't have, he's from across the border in Victoria and competes mostly there.”
 
“Ah.”
 
“They're moving over towards the jumps,” Joe said and stood up, Duo and Michael following suit.
 
“This will be the real test,” Michael stated as the three found themselves a spot to sit and watch where they would be out of the way, yet still see everything clearly.
 
* * *
 
Shinigami was sweating, he'd worked hard on the flat and Heero was pleased with the stallion's efforts. Alongside him, Treize gave Romeo a good few pats.
 
“What do you think of the other riders so far?” Heero asked Treize as they walked their horses to let them cool off a bit.
 
“They're all good,” Treize replied. “We will have more of an idea though once we've seen them jump.”
 
“Peter's horse seems to be really good, well educated from what I've seen so far.”
 
“He's a damn nice horse all right. I've heard a little about him, but not seen him in action as he competes mainly in Victoria and South Australia.”
 
“I'd say he's pretty much a certainty for the team then.”
 
“Could be,” Treize mused, “but then again, anything can happen.”
 
“I'm glad I'm not having to make the selection,” Heero muttered.
 
Treize laughed. “Just go out there and do what you and Shini do best, Heero - jump.”
 
Heero chuckled. “You can bet on it.”
 
* * *
 
The course had been set up and Noin explained it to the riders before giving them the opportunity to walk it. It was a fairly short course compared with what the riders were used to jumping in competition, but Heero knew better than to let that fool him. He'd reserve his decision until after he'd walked the thing.
 
Given the all clear to walk the course, Treize, Heero and Zoe rode over to where their grooms were waiting for them and handed over their respective mounts.
 
Shini stood quietly beside Duo as the vet watched his partner walk the course with his friends. It didn't look too bad to Duo, but then he wasn't a rider like Heero. “What's the verdict?” he asked as Heero and the others returned.
 
“It's not too bad,” Heero replied. “The heights are fine, there's a couple of tricky turns and the double is deliberately set off stride.”
 
“Off stride?” Duo questioned.
 
“Yeah. You can take two long strides, or three short ones, depending on your horse, then it's followed by a sharp turn if you want to get to fence six dead center.”
 
“Ah.”
 
“It's certainly going to show which horses listen to their riders,” Treize chuckled.
 
“Not to mention the horse's education and the rider's skills,” Zoe added.
 
“What does everyone plan on doing then?” Duo asked as he handed Shini's reins back to Heero and tightened the girth.
 
“I'll be taking two long strides. Romeo's got a long stride as it is and to try and get three short ones in will only unbalance him,” Treize stated.
 
“Shinigami's pretty quick on his feet so I'll be aiming for the three strides, that way he'll still be balanced and have enough impulsion to turn and meet jump six okay,” Heero said as he prepared to mount.
 
“I'll be taking three strides too,” Zoe said as she mounted Lion. “He's better with short strides than trying to push him out and get the longer two.”
 
“Going to be an interesting round then,” Michael said as he gave Zoe's calf a squeeze. “Be careful,” he added.
 
Zoe smiled. “I'll do my best,” she replied.
 
“Look after Heero for me, Shini,” Duo muttered quietly to the gray and fed him a quick carrot. “You take care, Heero,” he added as he gave his boyfriend a warm smile.
 
“They're calling us,” Treize said and turned Romeo to ride back over to where the group was beginning to assemble.
 
The three grooms all took a seat on the fence where they had an uninterrupted view of the course and waited for the jumping to start.
 
“There is no time limit, or pressure of competition over this course,” Noin began. “We simply want to observe you and your horses as you jump.” She looked around and noted each rider's serious expression and was pleased about that. “The order in which I want you to jump will be; Jenny, Adam, Treize, Zoe, Heero and Peter. Any questions?”
 
Everyone shook their head.
 
“Right, let's begin. Jenny, if you will?”
 
Jenny collected up her reins and rode her horse away from the group. She circled around a couple of times, pushing the gray into a canter and settling into the rhythm. Once Charade was traveling well, she turned to the first jump.
 
It was clear to all who were watching that Charade was an experienced jumper. The big gray approached the fences in a calm manner, eyeing them up and clearing them effortlessly. He was a touch slow on responding to his rider's aids, especially when it came to sharp turns, but Heero thought that could also be due to the fact that the horse was very large. Larger horses always did have a slower turn on them than the smaller animals, it was the law of physics.
 
“Well done, Jenny,” Noin praised as the pair returned after completing a precise, clear round.
 
Adam was next to go and Heero got his first look at the chestnut mare in action. She was a decidedly deceptive horse and an excellent jumper. Very quick on her feet, she made easy work of the sharp turns and gamely tackled everything that Adam put her at.
 
“Damn good jumper,” Treize commented.
 
“She sure is,” Heero replied.
 
“If anything, she seems to be a bit too keen at times and Adam looks like he's got his hands full just keeping her under control,” Treize remarked as he watched the mare and her rider complete the course without any faults.
 
“Thank you, Adam,” Noin said and then nodded to Treize.
 
Treize collected Romeo up and rode the horse forward. He circled around, letting the bay find his feet and settle into his rhythm before turning to the first jump. Romeo was enjoying himself, clearing jump after jump with ease. He listened to Treize as they approached the double, letting his stride lengthen out and meeting both elements spot on.
 
Treize was there with his seat and legs as soon as the bay landed over part B, riding the horse together and turning him for jump six. Romeo balanced himself and flew over jump six, stretching out and lining up jump seven. They made another sweeping turn to come into the triple which they cleared and then aimed for the final fence.
 
Romeo cleared the final jump and came back to a walk, Treize petting him and praising the young stallion.
 
“Good round,” Heero said as Treize rejoined him. “What did it ride like?”
 
“Not too bad. That turn after the double is a tricky one, you need to have them back in hand as soon as you touch the ground after part B,” Treize replied.
 
“Thanks.” Heero turned to wish Zoe luck as the woman rode off to the start.
 
Zoe and Lion went well, the brown stallion clearing everything and making the double and following turn to jump six look easy.
 
“He's come a long way,” Treize mused as he watched the pair.
 
“He always did have potential and Zoe's the perfect rider for him,” Heero commented.
 
“Yes, she is. I couldn't have asked for a better home for him,” Treize mused. “She's sympathetic to him and he will do anything for her. They make an excellent combination.”
 
Lionheart flew over the last fence, an ecstatic Zoe raining pats all over the sweating, brown neck.
 
“Well done, Zoe. Heero, you're next,” Noin called out.
 
Heero gathered up his reins and urged Shini forward, the gray moving off willingly enough. “This one is important, Shini,” Heero muttered under his breath to the horse. “We need to make a good showing here if we're to have any chance at making the final team.”
 
Shinigami cocked back an ear and tossed in a couple of dancing steps. He'd seen the other horses jumping and knew his turn would be coming soon. He was eager to get out there and do what he loved to do - jump.
 
Sitting down into his saddle, Heero rode his horse forward, settling into the rocking rhythm of the canter and balancing his horse. With Shini all set, Heero turned and rode at the first jump.
 
Duo's eyes were locked on his partner. Whilst this wasn't a competition as such, Duo knew it was important that Shini did well.
 
Heero took the first three jumps well. Shinigami clearing them easily. They steadied a little for jump four, Heero applying his legs during the last three strides and the gray responding eagerly.
 
“This one is the real test, Shini,” Heero muttered as he collected the stallion together and shortened his stride.
 
Shini tossed his head and snorted. He could see the colored poles ahead and pulled against the hands that were holding him in check.
 
Sitting deeper into his saddle, Heero maintained his hold on the stallion's forward movement, keeping the gray balanced and full of impulsion. With the three strides to the first jump, Heero eased a little on the reins, allowing Shini to go forward and gather himself for the take off.
 
Powerful hind legs pushed the body upwards, forelegs tucked safely close to the body and Shini cleared the first element. They landed and Heero was there with his seat, legs and reins, steadying the horse and keeping the stride in check. They took the three, shorter strides, impulsion burning through the hindquarters as Shini launched into the air for the second element.
 
As front hooves bit into the earth, Heero was dropping his weight, pushing his legs onto the animal's sides and encouraging Shini to collect up and turn.
 
Within two strides of landing, Shini rebalanced, dropped his hindquarters and dug in deep with his back hooves. The young stallion practically spun on the spot and was then reaching forward again with his front feet, hind legs propelling the body forth as he collected himself up in readiness for the sixth jump.
 
“Shit,” muttered Michael. “He's certainly come a long way from when I last saw him compete.”
 
“He's been doing a lot of work at home on Shini,” Duo announced proudly.
 
“Yeah, I can see that.”
 
“Good boy,” Heero praised as he gathered his mount once more. The remaining three jumps weren't anything difficult, just as long as you kept your horse balanced and full of impulsion. Shinigami cleared them all easily and finished over the last jump with a flick of his heels.
 
Bringing the gray back to a walk, Heero patted and praised his horse, hoping that Duo wouldn't be too far away with a carrot or two as a reward for a job well done.
 
“That was great, Heero,” Zoe enthused. “He's improved a heap to when I last saw you both in the ring.”
 
“He's an easy horse to teach, willing to learn and loves his jumping,” Heero replied. “But there's still a lot more he can learn yet.”
 
“Can't we all?” Zoe said with a twinkle in her eye. “I know Lion here never ceases to amaze me. He's such a lovely horse to ride and so quick to learn. I'm really glad you sold him to me, Treize.”
 
“He couldn't have asked for a better home,” Treize replied with a warm smile. “I knew you would do right by him and take him through to his full potential.”
 
“Thanks.” Zoe blushed a little. “And thanks to you too, Heero. All the basic schooling and groundwork you did with him has made it much easier for me.”
 
“My pleasure,” Heero replied with a warm smile of his own.
 
“Peter's jumping,” Treize stated and all three turned their attention to the black currently jumping.
 
It was obvious to everyone that SkyHigh knew what he was doing. He was quick on his feet and responsive to the lightest touch from his rider. The combination reminded Duo a lot of Heero and Zero and he felt his stomach knot with sadness for his lover. He knew how much Zero meant to Heero and the dreams he'd had of riding for his country with his beloved horse.
 
Sadly, it wasn't to be for Zero; but Duo knew deep in his heart that Shinigami could and hopefully would, finish what his sire had started.
 
The black made the course look easy, flying over every jump with inches to spare. He took two long strides in the double, landed and pivoted on his hind legs to meet jump six dead center. With that one cleared too, the pair went on to finish the course with no faults at all.
 
Now that all the riders had completed their respective rounds, Noin called them all over. All riders dismounted and loosened their girths, the grooms all wandering over to lend a hand where needed.
 
“That was very well done, all of you,” Noin began. “We have picked up on a few, minor things that need fine tuning and we will work on those points during the week. We will also incorporate some new tactics and hopefully you will all benefit from them. Does anyone have any questions?”
 
No one did.
 
“Fine.” Noin looked at her watch. “It's four-fifteen, I suggest you cool your horses off and return to the stables. That is all for today's instruction. Tomorrow I expect you all to be mounted and warmed up in this paddock for a nine o'clock start. Thank you, everyone.”
 
The group muttered their own thanks and then began to trek back towards the stables. Michael gave Zoe a hug and kiss, congratulating her on her performance. Joe discussed a couple of minor things with Treize whilst Duo tried to squash the feeling of jealousy that washed over him when he saw Michael and Zoe together. He longed to hold Heero like that, to kiss him and share their love openly. It sucked that they had to steal what chances they could and be vigilant that they didn't get caught in public places.
 
As if knowing what was on his boyfriend's mind, Heero managed to bump shoulders with Duo, and occasionally brush his hand against the vet's as they walked silently back to the stable complex. He gave the long haired man a soft smile and mouthed 'Love you' when no one was looking.
 
The flush passed over Duo's face with the silent words and he took a quick look around himself before repeating them back. They entered the stable block and took Shini through to the stable he'd been allocated.
 
Duo busied himself with removing Shini's jumping boots whilst Heero took off the saddle and bridle. While Heero put the gear away, Duo began to brush down the young stallion, making sure all traces of sweat were removed from the horse's coat. Heero check Shini's hooves for any stones or matter that may have lodged there before fetching the stallion's rug and putting it on. Duo fetched the feed and emptied it into the feed bin, hanging a full haynet up to one side once Shini was eating. The water bucket was topped up, Shini given one last check over and the pair exited the stable.
 
Heero quickly spoke with Joe, explaining where Shini's breakfast was and filling up another haynet for Joe to give the horse later that evening when he did his final check before retiring for the night.
 
Bidding everyone else good evening, Heero and Duo fetched Treize and the three headed out to Heero's car. The float was unhitched, the three got in and soon Henrietta was on her way back to Duo's vet practice, stopping on the way to drop Treize off.
 
Treize thanked Heero as he was dropped off at the stables and arranged to pick up both men the following morning at seven. Heero turned the car around and drove them both back to the practice.
 
* * *
 
Once they pulled in behind Duo's home, Heero headed for the stables to check all the feeds and start bringing the horses in. Duo aimed for the house to start dinner and check in with Hilde.
 
It didn't take Heero long to sort the horses out. Scythe and Angel were quite happy to be led side by side, Wing trotting along behind them. With both mares and the foal safely in their respective stables, Heero went back out for Zero. His beloved horse was waiting at the gate for him and blew softly through his nostrils as Heero slipped the halter on him.
 
“Shini did very well today, Zero,” Heero informed the stallion as he led him towards the stables. “I'm sure he's going to learn a lot from this week's training.”
 
Zero just wuffled and tugged on the lead rope. He wanted his dinner!
 
Leading the gray into his stable, Heero unclipped the lead rope and checked the stallion over. He adjusted the light rug and then dipped into his pocket for a carrot.
 
Immediately Zero's nose was out of the feed bin and sniffing around his master. He could smell carrots!
 
“Here you go,” Heero chuckled and fed the stallion his much loved treat.
 
Zero crunched happily, the carrot disappearing quickly. With the carrot gone, Zero again began to nuzzle his master, searching for more of the treats he could smell hiding somewhere on his master's person. He wasn't disappointed.
 
Heero fed his horse the last of the carrots and with a pat to the gray neck, he left the stable, securing the door behind him. He checked Angel and Scythe before wandering into the feed shed and making up the breakfasts. With everything done, he slid the large door across into place, set the security system and walked back towards the house and his partner.
 
Duo had checked in with Hilde, pleased to hear that all had gone well with the consults. He filled her in on their activities for the day, boasting proudly about Shinigami's jumping. Hilde and Catherine were both happy to hear that everything appeared to be going well for Heero and Duo assured them he would pass on their kind wishes for success. With the practice running smoothly, Duo turned his attention to dinner.
 
Fetching the items out of the 'fridge and setting them down on the kitchen counter, Duo turned to get the utensils he would need and almost fell flat on his face as Smokey chose that moment to welcome him home by entwining herself around his ankles.
 
“Shit! Careful, Smokey,” Duo said as he bent to pick the kitten up and pet her.
 
Smokey purred loudly then did her best to 'eat' Duo's hand.
 
“Hey! Enough of that,” Duo chided gently. “I'm not edible.”
 
Smokey didn't seem to care and attacked his hand and fingers with vigor.
 
“Ow, shit, that hurts,” Duo exclaimed as tiny, needle like teeth pierced his skin.
 
The kitten thought it was a great game.
 
“Okay, that's enough,” Duo chuckled and put the kitten back on the floor.
 
It didn't seem to deter Smokey though.
 
Heero wandered up to the back door of the house and entered. He paused to remove his boots and then stopped in the doorway to the kitchen. He leaned against the door jamb, an amused smile on his face.
 
Duo was busy trying to make dinner. Smokey was doing her best to get in the way. Heero couldn't help but chuckle softly as he watched the kitten's antics with his lover's feet and legs.
 
Duo was chopping vegetables whilst Smokey was attacking his toes. Duo would lift his foot up out the way, the kitten jumping up to try and latch on. When that didn't work, she switched tactics and attacked his other foot forcing Duo to put the one in the air down to lift the other one out of the way. Needing something from the pantry, Duo turned and began to shuffle across the kitchen, Smokey pounced and clung to his leg.
 
Heero couldn't help it, he laughed at the sight.
 
“Ah, Heero,” Duo said as he spotted his boyfriend and heard the laughter. He tried to walk across, Smokey still hanging onto his leg and being dragged along. “Dinner will be ready soon, I hope.”
 
“Looks like you've gained an appendage there,” Heero chuckled. Smokey was hanging on for dear life.
 
“Yeah. It seems to be a permanent growth,” Duo replied as he looked down at the kitten that was furiously biting at the seam of his jean leg.
 
“I'll take her and feed her,” Heero offered, stepping into the kitchen and picking up the kitten.
 
“I'd appreciate that, I'm sort of attached to my leg and it would speed up the dinner process if I wasn't continuously having to dance around like I'm on hot coals,” Duo replied with a grin.
 
With the kitten in his arms and trying to chew on his fingers, Heero went through to the laundry to feed her, allowing Duo to finish off their dinner in peace.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...