Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 50 ( Chapter 50 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
 
Chapter 50
 
It was the second last day of the camp and so far Shinigami had been going really well for Heero. The youngster had worked calmly, listening well to Heero, the new things he was being taught coming relatively easily to him. Noin was pleased with the progress of all the team riders and horses, especially the youngsters and never failed to give praise where it was due.
 
Heero and Treize both noticed the subtle differences not only in their own horses and their progress, but also the other team hopefuls. It was quite clear that the other four horses were far more experienced than either Romeo or Shini, but the younger pair were consistent and generally managed to hold their own against the older animals.
 
Noin and Dermail had decided to work the riders over a variety of courses that day, Treize pointing out to Heero that this would be the real test for them all. The course would be set at international level and changed from time to time so the horses didn't get the chance to 'predict' anything. After all, horses learned from repetition.
 
Heero knew it would be a real test for Shinigami, not just the heights, but the other factors as well such as line, track, approach, turns and the like. He had a quite confidence in his horse, knowing that Shini would try his best for him and that was all they could do.
 
“All set,” Duo said as he led Shini from the stable, the stallion all saddled up and ready to go.
 
“Thanks,” Heero replied absently as he took the reins from the vet.
 
“What's up?” Duo asked with a frown. He could tell Heero was thinking deeply about something.
 
“Just thinking about the courses we're gonna be jumping today. This is going to be the one that counts.”
 
“Ah. Surely Shini will cope though? He wouldn't have been shortlisted if they didn't think he was capable.”
 
“Anything can happen, Duo. I know Shini should be fine over the heights and all, it depends on what other factors they throw in.”
 
“Ah, okay.”
 
“Guess we won't know until we see and walk the course.”
 
“I have faith in you both,” Duo replied softly as he fed the gray a carrot.
 
“Thanks.” Heero couldn't give his lover a hug or kiss like he wanted to, so he had to settle for a warm look instead, a look that promised Duo everything once they were alone.
 
Duo shivered and lowered his eyes, his body tingling from the mere thought of the promises in Heero's eyes.
 
“You two coming?” Treize called out from where he was leading Romeo out of the stables.
 
“Now there's an innuendo if I ever heard one,” Duo chuckled.
 
“Be right there,” Heero called back. “I'll sort you out later,” he whispered to Duo.
 
“I'll hold you to that,” Duo huskily replied and then turned to walk out of the stables himself.
 
All six riders began to warm their horses up whilst waiting for Noin and Dermail to arrive they were currently occupied down the further part of the schooling paddock setting up and arranging the jumps to what they wanted. Shini felt fresh beneath Heero, the gray eager to work. He picked his hooves up and strode out well, Heero having a bit of a battle to keep the exuberant stallion completely under control.
 
Treize found Romeo to be along the same lines, the big bay pulling at the reins, wanting to take the tickle out of his feet, but Treize held him in check; they would need all the energy they had for later on.
 
Satisfied with their training course, Noin and Dermail walked back up the paddock to where the riders were warming up and called the six into a line up. Joe, Michael and Duo all managed to walk a little closer to hear what was being said, whilst keeping out of the way at the same time.
 
Noin explained that the purpose of today's exercise was to see how both horse and rider coped over a series of international sized courses. The riders would be given the opportunity to walk each course before they rode it and it was up to them to try and figure out what 'traps' the course designer had set and how best to approach the jumps to ensure as faultless a round as possible.
 
It would also give the two coaches the chance to see how the combinations worked when under pressure and would be part of the deciding factor in the final team selection. No clues were given as to what they could expect, to all intents and purposes it was a full on competition and they were encouraged to treat it as such.
 
Heero handed Shini's reins over to Duo and prepared to walk the course, Treize alongside him. They had decided that two heads would be better than one, especially when Treize had the more experience over international courses. They both knew their chances of making the final team rode on their interpretation of the courses and how they rode them.
 
It was a somber group of riders that took to the arranged jumps and carefully walked around, studying lines and angles, approaches, take off points and where best to position their horses at each fence. Treize and Heero discussed quite a lot of the course, each suggesting different things until they came up with a plan of action. Wandering back to their horses and grooms, each man was locked in his own thoughts about the test ahead.
 
“What's it like?” Duo asked as he handed Shini's reins back to Heero.
 
“Pretty stiff,” Heero replied.
 
“Ah.”
 
“The first three fences are straightforward enough, after that it gets tricky. There's a sharp turn from three to four, then another turn and only five strides to jump five. Six, seven and eight aren't too bad, but you need to have impulsion and balance to make the turn from eight to the double: jump nine. Once you're over nine there's another turn to ten and another turn to eleven. Twelve and thirteen follow on pretty much in a straight line so there shouldn't be any problems with those.”
 
“I see. What are your plans?” Duo did follow what Heero was saying; to a point.
 
“I figure I should try to angle jump ten and that will bring me on a better line for eleven and save some time. Either way, it's a damn tough course.” Heero tightened his girth. He knew it was going to be a challenge, all he could do was give it his best shot and hope it was enough.
 
“Good luck, Heero. I know you can do this,” Duo smiled and reached forward to give his lover a squeeze to the shoulder.
 
“Thanks, Duo.” Heero took the left stirrup in his hand and pushed his left foot into it, bouncing once and springing into the saddle.
 
Duo patted Shini's neck and gave the horse a carrot. “Do your best out there, son. Look after Heero for me and make sure to pick your feet up,” he muttered under his breath as Shini munched on the carrot.
 
With the carrot finished, Heero collected up his reins and urged his horse forward to where everyone was gathering, Duo walking beside him.
 
* * *
 
Peter and SkyHigh went first and managed to complete the round without any faults. Patting the black stallion enthusiastically, Peter returned to the waiting group. “It's not all that difficult providing you have your horse balanced and keep the impulsion there,” he informed the remaining riders.
 
Heero had his doubts though. Peter was on a more experienced horse and that counted for a lot. Heero knew if it had been Zero he was riding, the older stallion would have had no problems at all with the course, but he wasn't on Zero, he was on Shinigami, and whilst the younger horse had loads of talent, he still had a lot to learn and could be a little hot headed at times and try to take matters into his own hands - or rather, hooves.
 
Jenny was currently on the course and doing a pretty good job of negotiating her way around. She didn't push her horse, opting to go slightly slower and retain the impulsion she would need to complete the round without faults. Charade jumped well, taking most fences in his stride, however the sharp turn from jump nine B to ten proved to be a bit more than the stallion could handle and they knocked down a rail, scoring four penalties.
 
Zoe went next on Lion, the bay stallion listening to his small rider's instructions and giving her all he could. It was lovely to watch the pair together. Zoe was a sympathetic rider, and Lion the type of horse that simply wanted to please. The pair had built up a good partnership in the time Zoe had owned the horse; and it was beginning to show.
 
Lion sailed over everything, Zoe giving him as much room as possible between fences to re-balance and come into each jump with lots of impulsion. No one was surprised when they also went clear.
 
Then it was Heero's turn. Shini felt good beneath him, the young gray traveling with a bounce in his stride that gave Heero much needed confidence. Shortening his reins, he pushed Shini into the canter and circled around, steadying the stallion in readiness for the course. With Shini collected up, Heero turned for the first fence.
 
Shini flew over the first two obstacles, the height not bothering him at all. He listened to his master as the seat and legs were applied and asked him to shorten his stride. Keeping himself balanced, Shini cleared jump three and was immediately aware of his rider's shift in weight. He altered his own balance accordingly and changed direction, the sharpness of the turn taking a little more out of him that his master would have liked. Shini's hocks came under the body and managed to propel the horse into the air and clear the jump.
 
Feeling the slight loss of impulsion, Heero did his best to ride his horse together, pleased that they had cleared the jump, but knowing he was going to have a hard job ahead of him to get Shini balanced again and complete the sharp turn for jump five. Once Shini's forelegs touched the ground, Heero sat deep in his saddle and took a firm contact with his reins. He used his seat and legs to try and drive the gray together whilst turning to come into fence five.
 
Duo was doing his best to stay still. His nerves were on edge, the urge to bite his fingernails strong, but he managed to resist. He could see that Shinigami wasn't traveling as well as some of the other horses, the lack of experience showing through, but Duo knew Heero would do his best to guide the stallion through with minimal stress.
 
Shini spotted the approaching jump and gauged his take off point. The two turns and large fences had taken quite a bit out of him, but he gamely lengthened out his stride and launched himself into the air. Unfortunately, he didn't have quite enough energy to clear the fence and caught the top rail with his hind legs, dislodging it.
 
Heero put the fallen rail out of his mind and focused on the next jump. He had a few strides in which to get his horse collected again and Heero wasted no time at all. He sat deep, pushed with his seat and legs while restraining the forward movement, keeping Shini going, but building his impulsion and re-balancing at the same time.
 
Jump six and seven were cleared and then they were faced with fence eight followed by the turn to the double. This part was going to be difficult.
 
Shini sailed over jump eight and changed track as he landed, concentrating hard on interpreting his master's signals. He was starting to get a little tired, the big jumps one after another were taxing on his fitness, but gamely, he strode on.
 
They cleared part A, landed, took two strides and flew into the air again. Shini didn't have that little bit extra and knocked the top rail with his front legs this time sending the pole crashing to the ground.
 
Gathering his reins and his wits, Heero rode his horse forward, changing direction and praying that Shini had enough stamina to finish the course. He shortened the stride, giving Shini every chance he could to regain some of their lost momentum. Jump ten loomed ahead and Shini lengthened out again, scraping over the top and rocking the poles as he went over. Fortunately, they stayed in place.
 
Jumps eleven and twelve were cleared, but not by much. All that remained now was jump thirteen and they were finished.
 
Heero could feel how tired Shini was, the springiness of the stride had gone, but the stallion was still happy to give his all. They approached the final fence, Heero doing everything he could to assist his horse. Hindquarters strained as they pushed the body into the air and over the jump. Forelegs came out, the bones, muscles, tendons and ligaments absorbing the shock of impact as the horse and rider returned to earth.
 
Once they were safely on the ground, Heero drew rein and slowed his horse, patting the gray neck and praising the animal for his courage. Once Shini was walking, Heero headed over to the trees where Zoe, Michael, Joe and Duo were waiting, Treize riding away from them to begin his course as he was next to go.
 
Once Shini halted, Heero dismounted and began to loosen the girth, Duo immediately beside him and assisting by running up the stirrups and loosening the drop nose band so he could feed Shini some carrots. Zoe, Michael and Joe all gave the pair some space, instinctively knowing that Heero would be a little disappointed with his round. There would be time enough for them to talk a little later.
 
“What happened?” Duo asked in a low voice as he petted the stallion and fed him carrots.
 
“I think it's a combination of things,” Heero replied honestly as he analyzed what had happened.
 
“Such as?”
 
“He's still green and this was a really tough course. Each jump is set at maximum height, or close to it and his stamina just wasn't up to it. He's quite capable of jumping the heights, but it's one thing to jump one or two fences at maximum height and another to jump an entire course at that height. I need to work on getting him fitter, building up more muscle tone, then his education needs work. This camp is a great way for me to learn new ways to teach him, new methods to tackling a course and I've learnt a lot already,” Heero said quietly as his gaze shifted to watch Treize who was having similar problems with Romeo.
 
Duo took a quick look around, noting everyone seemed to be focused on Treize right now. He took a chance and slipped his arm around Heero's shoulders, giving the rider a warm, one armed hug before dropping his arm again.
 
Heero smiled at his lover. “Thanks,” he murmured.
 
“Just thought you could do with a bit of cheering up,” Duo offered.
 
“I'd be lying if I said I was thrilled with that round.” Heero lowered his eyes for a moment. “Yes, I would have loved to have gone clear, but it wasn't to be. The main thing is that Shinigami gave me everything he had, he tried his hardest for me and I'm really proud of him. It's not his fault that the course was a little too hard for him, he's shown me great courage by trying so hard to please me. Give him a little more time and experience and he's going to be just as good, if not better than Zero. I can only hope that what we did is enough to earn us a place in the team.” Heero gave the gray a scratch behind the ears, Shini rubbing his head against his master and trying to get more of the nice touch.
 
“Well, I'm damn proud of you both,” Duo said. “To have made it to the shortlist is an achievement in itself. Whether you make the team or not, I'll still be here, supporting you.”
 
Giving his lover a genuine, from the heart smile, Heero mouthed 'Love you' and then hearing a groan from Zoe, turned his attention back to Treize.
 
“Damn! He was doing so well too,” Michael muttered.
 
Duo, Heero and Shini moved across to rejoin the group and see what was going on.
 
Romeo was also having a bit of difficulty with the course. His long stride was a hindrance when it came to tight turns, and despite Treize giving the horse the widest turn possible, the bay was still having trouble keeping his impulsion and balance. They had knocked down a rail on jump ten, the combination of the previous two sharp turns and then the double followed by another sharp turn had taken their toll and Romeo had hit the top rail with his hind legs.
 
They completed the rest of the course without any further faults and finished with a total of four compared to Heero's eight.
 
“That is a damn hard course,” Treize grunted as he returned to the group and dismounted.
 
Joe took over, loosening Romeo's girth and cooling the animal off, leaving Treize free to discuss the course with the other riders.
 
“It certainly would have to be one of the hardest I've ever ridden,” Heero said.
 
“I'm pretty sure it's similar to one of the Olympic courses from a few games ago,” Michael said, his brow furrowed as he thought.
 
“That wouldn't surprise me,” Treize stated. “It's a really good way to see what the horses are capable of.”
 
“I agree,” Zoe said. “If we can perform reasonably well over such a tough course, then the Nations Cup course will seem like a walk in the park.”
 
“Well it's definitely shown me what areas Shini and I are lacking in and what we need to do to improve ourselves,” Heero put in.
 
“Same here,” Treize replied. “I need to work more on Romeo's striding, getting him to shorten and lengthen better, once he can do that then I can work on his balance and maintaining impulsion.”
 
'Shinigami needs to build up more stamina,” Heero joined in, “then I can work more on his turning and impulsion.”
 
“I think we all need to work on the stamina side of things,” Zoe chuckled. “Poor Lion was puffing really hard when we finished.”
 
“Adam seems to be going okay,” Michael interrupted and immediately the conversation stopped as everyone turned to watch the last rider going through.
 
Adam's mare simply flew around the course, taking the jumps in her stride, the turns making no difference to her. Heero could see there had been many hours of practice and sheer hard work gone into the combination, and it was paying off. Adam finished with a clear round.
 
“I think we're all wanted,” Treize muttered as he spotted Noin motioning for everyone to come over.
 
Quickly, everyone grabbed their mount and made their way to where the coaches stood.
 
“Not bad at all,” Noin began. “Peter, Zoe and Adam - congratulations on your clear rounds. Treize and Jenny, four faults each; Heero, eight faults. Now you have all had the chance to ride and experience one of the toughest types of courses in international competition. This course was one used in the Olympic Games twelve years ago, although we have shortened it a little. Originally there were fifteen fences. You should all be proud of yourselves as when this course was used, only ten percent of riders managed to go clear, twenty percent scored four penalties and a further twenty five percent had eight. The remainder scored twelve or more penalties.”
 
Noin looked around at the assembled group. “I take it you have all learnt a little something from this course?”
 
Six heads nodded the affirmative.
 
“Good. You have half an hour to recover whilst we alter the course to another one where we will complete a similar exercise.”
 
* * *
 
The riders all jumped another two courses, one based on a similar course from a Nations Cup event held ten years previous, and the last one completely designed by Noin and Dermail.
 
By the time they had finished all the riders and horses were showing signs of exhaustion. It had been a grueling test, one that really opened the eyes as to how difficult international courses could be.
 
Treize and Zoe already knew how difficult courses could get, both having competed at Nations Cup and Olympic level. Heero had only competed over a Nations Cup course, and whilst that had been a test in itself, these courses were much harder. As Noin had said, a lot depended on who the course designer was on the day. Couple that with the fact that horses and rider combinations were improving all the time and it made sense that courses would vary in their degree of difficulty.
 
Calling all the riders over, Noin began her address of the group. “Well done, everyone. Both Dermail and myself are extremely pleased with the way you have all performed over the courses today. They have not been easy courses, as you have all discovered, however, they should have given you the opportunity to see exactly where you need to focus, what areas either yourself or your horse is lacking in and hopefully improve. I have noted quite a few things, as has Dermail and tomorrow we will discuss these. We would also like your input on how you felt you and your horse went. The selection board will also be joining us and based on your performances at the shows throughout the year, plus todays performance and the recommendations of both Dermail and myself, they will be announcing the team to represent Australia at this coming Nations Cup event. That is all for today. Please take your horses back and settle them for the night, they've all done extremely well. We will meet in the manor conference room tomorrow morning at nine for further discussion.” Noin gave them all a smile and turned to leave.
 
“I don't know about anyone else, but I'm totally wiped,” Zoe said she began to lead Lion back to the stables. “I wonder who will make it into the final team?”
 
“I know I'm exhausted so Shini must be completely stuffed,” Heero chuckled, leading the gray back. “I really don't think we stand much chance of making the team.”
 
“I wouldn't be surprised if Romeo and I don't make the team. This has been a really tough test, I don't think Romeo has the energy left to walk,” Treize commented with a snicker as he watched the bay dragging his hooves through the dirt as Joe led him to the stables.
 
“Is there anything you could recommend, Duo, that could ease their tiredness?” Michael asked. He figured all the horses could probably do with something akin to a long soak in a hot bath that humans tended to take to ease sore and tired muscles.
 
“There's not a lot medically that you can do,” Duo replied as he searched through his memory for anything relating to horses and their recovery after strenuous work. “I'd suggest maybe put some electrolytes in their drinking water to replace body salts that have been lost. You could also apply some liniment to their legs to ease any soreness. I've got some Rapigel [1] in the car if anyone would like some.”
 
“I'll grab a jar of that if you don't mind, Duo,” Treize said.
 
“Me too, if you have enough,” Zoe stated.
 
“No problem. I'm sure I've got about four containers of it in the car. I'll go check and bring them back,” replied Duo and detoured off to his car. They'd brought Duo's car this time, having decided at the beginning of the camp to share traveling between Treize and Heero.
 
By the time Duo returned with two jars of the gel, all the horses were back in their stables and being settled for the night. Duo handed over the gel to Treize and Zoe, then headed for Heero and Shinigami to help settle the horse for the evening.
 
Heero removed the saddlery whilst Duo grabbed the grooming kit and began to brush the horse down, removing the dried sweat from the gray coat and making Shini a lot more comfortable. Heero returned with Shini's rug and put it on while Duo fetched the evening feed and put it in the feed bin. Checking there was a full water bucket, Duo dropped the recommended amount of electrolytes into it and swished the water around. Heero meanwhile had brought out his own jar of Rapigel and was busy rubbing it into Shini's legs as the stallion ate.
 
Once the horse was taken care of, Heero sorted through his gear, putting the saddle blanket to one side to dry out a bit and filling two haynets; one for now and one for Joe to give the horse later that evening.
 
With all the stable chores done, Duo, Heero and Treize bid the other riders goodnight and set off for their homes.
 
* * *
 
The following morning saw everyone meet in the conference room as Noin had requested, all seemed a little on the tense side which was understandable with the team selection to be announced that day. Noin and Dermail entered, nodding to the assembled group and taking a seat at the head of the large table.
 
“The purpose of this meeting as you are all aware is to discuss yesterday's performance over the various courses. Some of you have already had the chance to compete in international competition and therefore know the pressures involved.”
 
Several heads nodded and there was a murmur of the affirmative through the room.
 
Noin then went on to discuss in general the way each course should have been ridden to maximize the opportunity of gaining as few faults as possible. Most of the riders agreed with what Noin was telling them, each seeing the logic in her explanations.
 
Heero was pleased to note that while Shini hadn't gone clear over any of the courses, at least he'd ridden them fairly closely to what Noin was now informing them. He picked up on a couple of things he could have done differently and could see how they would have helped his horse, but it was too late for that now, he'd ridden the courses and done the best he could. At least he knew a bit more now than he had yesterday and knowledge was always a good thing.
 
Noin managed to find fault with everyone, regardless of how well they had gone and that cheered Heero up a bit, knowing he wasn't the only one that had problems to work on.
 
“Heero?”
 
“Hai?” Heero looked up when Noin called out his name.
 
“Both you and your horse did exceptionally well and you should be proud of yourself. None of those courses were easy and whilst you have only had experience in one international competition, you did an excellent job. Your horse is still young and a little green when it comes to the finer points of showjumping, but that is something that will come with time and the more jumping you do. Right now you need to work on his stamina. He needs to be a lot fitter for these types of courses. I'd suggest getting him out in the bush a bit more, working him through thick sand and up and down hills if you have any nearby. You have a very talented horse there, Heero, he's going to be a top jumper too.” Noin smiled at the young man.
 
“Thank you,” Heero replied. He already knew what the problems were he needed to address, but having someone of Noin's experience confirm his thoughts only served to make him more determined than ever.
 
“Treize?”
 
“Yes?”
 
“Your horse is in a similar predicament to Heero's. He's young and still inexperienced. He did a great job over those courses and you should be proud of yourself too. I think it's pretty safe to say you already know he needs work on his striding?”
 
Treize nodded and gave a grin. “He's got such long legs and is still having fun working out where to put them at times.”
 
“Yes, he does. I'd suggest putting him over a lot of grids, doing a lot of flat work too with half halts, practice shortening and lengthening the stride. Adjusting the striding of the grids will also aid in teaching him,” Noin stated.
 
“I agree,” Treize replied.
 
Noin went on to address the rest of the team hopefuls, outlining the areas they needed to work on and offering advice to help them to improve.
 
Zoe and Lionheart needed to build up their stamina too, Noin suggesting she do what she'd advised Heero to do with Shinigami, lots of work through thick sand.
 
Once she'd finished with her talk, she asked if anyone had any questions. They spent several minutes asking and answering the various questions that arose and once everyone was finished, Noin dismissed them to take an hour's break before returning to the conference room.
 
The selectors had arrived.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...
 
[1] Rapigel: This is a gel substance that's used to ease soreness, strains etc in a horse's ligaments, tendons and muscles caused from injury or exercise. For more info visit here: http://www.thevetshed.com.au/index.php/cPath/3_81_539