Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 52 ( Chapter 52 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
 
Chapter 52
 
Smokey recovered from her operation very well and was back to her usual antics of trying to 'eat' anyone's feet that didn't have shoes on them within two days. Heero had been concerned over the cat - which was normal for any pet owner - and had done his best to make things up to her by purchasing not only fresh fish from the town, but as many different varieties of gourmet cat food as the local supermarket stocked.
 
Duo had managed to bite his tongue and Smokey lapped up the extra attention.
 
The team had all departed for Auckland and Zoe had sent them a text message to let them know they'd all arrived safely. Heero had scanned the local television guide to see if any of the channels were showing coverage of the Nations Cup, much to his disappointment and frustration, none were.
 
Treize came up with a solution though. He had cable television and the sporting channel was going to broadcast a fair chunk of the competition. Knowing how much he enjoyed watching the sport and therefore having an idea of how disappointed Heero would be in not being able to see it himself, he invited both Heero and Duo to join him to watch it.
 
Heero gladly accepted the invite; as did Duo.
 
The cup competition was being held over the last three days of the week long 'show', the format being very similar to the format the event had taken when it was held in Sydney and Heero had competed. There were other jumping competitions and also the dressage finals, the first round of the cup being held on the fourth day and the final round on the sixth day along with any jump-offs should they be necessary.
 
It was the first round of competition and Heero was itching to be off to Treize's to watch. Duo was brushing his hair after having washed it and snickered to himself as he watched Heero from the corner of his eye. The young rider had fetched Duo's shoes, then gotten his jacket for him, completely unaware that his lover was watching in amusement.
 
Weaving the long hair into its braid, Duo stifled a laugh as he observed Heero checking his watch.
 
“What?” Heero asked when he heard the snicker.
 
“Nothing.”
 
“Duo?” Heero growled.
 
Wrapping a band around the end of the braid, Duo flipped the rope over his shoulder and began to put on his shoes. “That must be the tenth time you've looked at your watch in the past five minutes,” he muttered as he tied the laces.
 
“I don't want to be late,” Heero huffed.
 
Grabbing his jacket, Duo planted a warm kiss to Heero's lips. “Come on then, let's hit the road.”
 
Grabbing his own sweater, Heero followed his lover out to the car and soon they were on their way to Treize's.
 
* * *
 
“That should be our guests,” Treize said as he heard the sound of an engine approaching followed by the sweep of headlights across the drawn curtains. “I'll go let them in if you wouldn't mind fetching another couple of glasses, please,” Treize asked as he left the room.
 
Zechs nodded and got up from the couch he was sitting on to fetch the glasses.
 
“Heero, Duo. I'm so pleased you both could make it,” Treize greeted.
 
“Thank you for inviting us and saving Heero's sanity,” Duo replied with a grin.
 
Treize quirked an elegant eyebrow. “Sanity?”
 
“Yeah. Poor guy was beginning to lose it thinking he wasn't going to see the competition.”
 
“I was not!” Heero defended himself.
 
“You even went as far as to write to the television stations to complain about them not broadcasting the cup event,” Duo accused.
 
“Yeah, well.” Heero's eyes dropped to the floor. “It's a major sporting event and it deserves some air time,” he retorted.
 
“I'm afraid the programmers don't look at it that way, they're only concerned with showing things that are guaranteed to bring in the viewers,” Duo hit back.
 
“Equestrian events have a good following of viewers,” Heero countered.
 
“Not as many as say the tennis or footy,” Duo teased.
 
“In that case, all I can say is thank goodness for cable television and the rest of the population doesn't know what it's missing out on,” Treize finished the conversation for them.
 
“Amen to that. Sorry, Treize, didn't mean to get into a debate,” Heero apologized.
 
“It's quite okay,” Treize smiled. “Here, give me your jackets.”
 
Duo handed over his jacket, Heero his sweater and the pair followed the tall man through to the comfortable lounge room.
 
“Hey, Zechs,” Duo greeted the other vet and shook hands with his colleague.
 
Zechs returned the greeting and then shook hands with Heero. Treize fetched them all a drink, motioning for Heero and Duo to sit on one of the couches whilst he sat next to Zechs on the other.
 
The television was on but the sound turned down to a low drone in the background. The coverage hadn't started yet so the guys took the opportunity to discuss how they thought the Aussies would fare against the other teams.
 
Remembering how good the teams had been in the previous cup competition, Heero thought the Germans and New Zealanders would be the ones to watch. Treize agreed on the Germans but thought the English team would have a strong claim. Zechs refrained from commenting, as did Duo. Neither man thought they knew enough of the various teams to make a valid comment.
 
The coverage began, the commentator welcoming everyone and going through the basics of the cup competition for the benefit of anyone watching that didn't understand. Whilst he was explaining the rules of the competition, the picture showed highlights from previous Nations Cup events and footage from the current week's competitions. With the briefing over, the commentator switched to introducing the teams that would be competing.
 
The screen showed the opening ceremony, focusing on the teams from the various Nations that were there to contend the cup. The many teams entered the arena, one member carrying the flag of the Nation they represented and walking a lap of honor as the commentator introduced them to the crowd and the viewers. The first team in was from Germany and received a warm welcome. The Germans were followed by the Swedish team then the Italians, South Africans and the Japanese. Next to enter were the French and they were followed by the Australians. A huge cheer went up from the crowd when the Aussies made their way in.
 
Peter was carrying the Australian flag and grinning from ear to ear. Adam looked a little awe struck whilst Jenny seemed right at home. Zoe was on the outside of the team, Lionheart stepping out proudly with his little ears pricked, neck arched and a distinct bounce to his step. Zoe looked comfortable and at ease on his back.
 
“They look good, don't they?” Duo breathed.
 
“Hai, they are going to be hard to beat,” Heero replied, his attention never leaving the screen.
 
“This reminds me so much of an event not all that long ago,” mused Zechs.
 
“Oh?” Treize questioned.
 
“When you were in Hong Kong for the Olympics,” Zechs supplied with a warm smile. “I watched most of the showjumping with Heero and Duo.”
 
“Ah.” Treize returned the smile and placed his hand over Zechs', gently squeezing and then entwining his fingers with those of the blonde.
 
Zechs allowed the touch, enjoying being able to share their affection with no fear of recourse as the other two were quite comfortable with displays of affection.
 
The New Zealand team entered the arena and the place exploded into a mix of cheers, whistles and applause for the host team.
 
The coverage cut then to a quick advert break and Treize took the opportunity to top up everyone's drinks and fetch some food from the kitchen. Jenny, his housekeeper had left some snacks for him and with the assistance of Zechs, they carried the plates of sandwiches, crackers and dips through to the lounge room and set them down on the conveniently placed coffee tables where everyone could reach them easily.
 
“Treize, you shouldn't have gone to all this trouble,” Duo said as he eyed the food and felt a little guilty that neither he nor Heero had thought to bring something.
 
“I didn't,” Treize chuckled. “Jenny, my housekeeper, insisted that if I was having guests over to watch the coverage we should have something to nibble on and kindly made these up.”
 
“Well, be sure to give her my thanks,” Duo stated as he picked up a small plate and placed a few items on it. “When we come to watch the final rounds Heero and I will supply the supper,” he said in a firm voice.
 
“Okay.” Treize conceded.
 
The coverage started again and all four went silent, munching quietly as they listened to the commentator.
 
The course for the first round was explained, something Zechs and Duo both had a little difficulty in following, but Treize and Heero grasped it okay and Heero even went as far as to pull out a notebook and pen and draw a rough diagram of the course so Duo and Zechs would be able to follow it easier.
 
With the course explained, the commentator went on to give the order in which the teams would be riding. Italy had drawn first followed by Sweden, Japan, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, England, South Africa and France.
 
“That's not a bad draw,” Treize commented.
 
“I agree. The Aussies are mid field with the Germans ahead of us.” Heero noted down the order.
 
“I take it the draw can affect the outcome?” Zechs asked.
 
“Not really, but it does give you a psychological advantage,” Treize explained.
 
“Ah, I think I follow you.”
 
Duo grinned, he was well aware of the psychological aspects of the showjumping world. In fact, many athletes employed this strategy when competing to give them the edge over their rivals. Simply strutting around, exuding an air of 'I'm the best so I don't even know why you're bothering' could and quite often did cause a rival to doubt their own abilities. It was a trick as old as sport itself.
 
The channel cut to a break for a moment, allowing the four to replenish drinks and visit the bathroom before resuming.
 
The broadcast itself wasn't a direct one, the event having been held earlier in the day. There was a time difference between the two countries of two hours and whilst it would take roughly four hours to show the entire event, the channel was only going to be showing some of it - namely the more interesting rounds.
 
Both Treize and Heero were a little disappointed that they wouldn't be able to watch each and every competitor, but they were grateful they were going to see quite a bit of it at least. The telecast resumed and they were greeted with the first rider from the Swedish team, the Italian rider having already done his course and finished with eight faults.
 
The Swedish rider was competent, keeping his horse balanced throughout the course. There were a couple of jumps that appeared to be the testing ones of the course and Heero knew they would soon learn the actual harder areas as they watched more riders go through.
 
The Swedish rider finished with four faults and departed amid applause, the Japanese rider entering the ring.
 
Going on what he remembered of his previous cup involvement, the Japanese and South African teams had been the least experienced of the cup contenders. He wondered how they would fare this time. It would also give them a pretty good idea of the standard to expect in the future Olympic games.
 
The Japanese rider possessed a lot of skill and his horse was highly educated. They breezed around the course and came out with the first clear round of the competition thus far.
 
“If the rest of the team is as good as him I'd say they're in with an excellent chance,” Treize commented.
 
“They seem to be a lot better than last time,” Duo said absently.
 
“It will be interesting to see what talent the other teams have,” Heero stated.
 
“If that's the standard then our team is going to have its work cut out for it,” Treize mused as he watched the screen tell them the German team's first rider had completed the course with four faults.
 
“What order are the Aussies riding in?” Zechs asked.
 
“I don't know. I guess we will soon find out though as they're up next.”
 
All four sat on the edge of their seats, attention fixed firmly on the screen as the first of the Australians entered the arena.
 
It was Peter and SkyHigh.
 
The big black looked impressive as he cantered around to salute the judge, Peter sitting the horse just right. The bell went and the pair were off, passing through the start flags and breaking the timer beam.
 
No one spoke, all eyes remained riveted to the screen as Peter and his black sailed over the first three fences then turned right to approach the double. The black sized the jump up and then lengthened out his stride, clearing the two elements with room to spare.
 
“He's going well,” Treize muttered.
 
“The real test is going to be the triple and then the turn from eleven to twelve to thirteen,” Heero practically whispered.
 
“Good point,” Treize replied, his eyes still locked on the screen.
 
Behind the pair, Duo and Zechs exchanged looks, each smirking at how involved their respective partners were with the competition.
 
Fences five, six, seven and eight were all cleared and it looked like the black was enjoying himself.
 
“Triple's next,” Duo stated as he glanced at Heero's 'map'.
 
All he got in reply was one grunt - Heero, one exhale of breath - Treize and a snicker - Zechs.
 
Zechs snickered again at the lack of input from the other pair. Duo rolled his eyes.
 
SkyHigh was true to his name and literally soared over the three elements of the triple. They landed safely and Peter was collecting his horse for the next jump. Fence ten was cleared and the black was turning right.
 
Heero and Treize were holding their breath.
 
The horse came into the jump dead center, cleared it and was turning sharp left for jump twelve.
 
“His striding's out,” muttered Treize as his experienced eye picked up on the way the horse was traveling and the distance to the next jump.
 
Heero's eyes were quick to pick up on what Treize had pointed out. He's going to need to either shorten or lengthen to get a proper take off point.
 
“Five bucks says he lengthens,” Duo said to Zechs.
 
Zechs quirked an eyebrow. “Okay, five bucks says he shortens.”
 
Neither man was as clued up on the intricacies as their lovers so they decided to have a bit of fun. Considering both Heero and Treize seemed to be in a world of their own, Duo thought he and Zechs might as well get something out of this too.
 
“Shit!” Heero snapped and all eyes returned to the broadcast.
 
Peter realized his horse was coming in on the wrong stride and sat down into his saddle, collecting the animal and then pushing the strides out. SkyHigh did all he could, lengthening his stride as much as possible but he was still a little further away when he took off than was practical.
 
The black's hind legs caught the top pole and sent it falling to the ground.
 
Zechs scowled and pulled his wallet out, fishing inside and removing five dollars. He handed it over to a smirking Duo.
 
SkyHigh completed the last jump without hitting it and rode out of the ring to the sounds of applause.
 
“Four faults for Peter Denton and SkyHigh...”
 
* * *
 
The broadcast ceased for a moment to go to the obligatory ad breaks and when it returned the rest of the first riders for each country had competed and they gave out the scores. New Zealand had four faults, England, South Africa and France, eight each.
 
That brought the end to the first riders' rounds and it was time to move onto the second riders. The broadcast showed highlights of some of the second round competitors and announced that the Italians scored eight faults, the Swedes four, Japanese, eight and the German eight. It was now time for the second rider in the Australian team to go.
 
“Representing Australia, Zoe Harrison and Lionheart,” the commentator said and then went on to give a little spiel about Zoe's accomplishments so far.
 
Treize and Heero were again locked in their own little world, each conferring with the other on how they thought Zoe would go.
 
Duo leaned back behind Heero's back and motioned to Zechs. Zechs also leaned back behind Treize and gave the other vet a questioning look.
 
“Five bucks says she goes clear,” Duo enticed.
 
Zechs thought about it for a moment, thinking over how many other riders had scored penalties and how many had gone clear. Only one rider had cleared the course thus far that Zechs could recall. “You're on,” he said with a smirk.
 
Lionheart looked fit and well, Zoe small on his back but with an air of confidence about her. She rode to the judge and saluted, gathered her reins and urged the horse forward. The bell went and Zoe was between the flags and starting her course.
 
Both Heero and Treize held their breath, focusing entirely on Zoe and her horse as they negotiated the course. They were completely unaware of the looks and soft snickers from their respective partners. Duo and Zechs both noticed how Treize and Heero - apart from being lost in their own world - seemed to be riding the course with Zoe. It wasn't overly obvious, but the pair could clearly see the twitch of muscles, subtle shift of seat and leg, then there was the soft movement of wrists and arms.
 
Duo thought it was kind of cute, Zechs thought it was hilarious.
 
Zoe concentrated completely on the course, keeping Lion full of impulsion and giving him every opportunity to retain his balance and approach each fence dead on. The bay responded to his mistress, shortening and lengthening his stride when asked.
 
They cleared the first three jumps and were on track for the double.
 
“Easy,” Heero muttered.
 
Lionheart slowed a fraction then burst forward, hopping over part A and recovering quickly to sail over part B.
 
“Beautifully done,” Treize commented.
 
“Lion's sure come a long way,” Heero said. He held a soft spot in his heart for the horse, after all, he'd been the one to start him off prior to Treize selling him to Zoe.
 
“He's even fitter than he was at the camp,” Treize noticed.
 
Heero took a good look at the bay. The muscles rippled beneath the satiny skin, the horse looking a lot more muscular than when Heero had seen him last.
 
“She's safely over eight,” Duo said to no one in particular. With Zoe jumping his own attention was once more captured by the screen.
 
Zoe turned her horse for the triple, Lion sizing it up and adjusting his stride accordingly. The four in Treize's lounge room all held their collective breath as Lionheart leapt into the air and cleared the first element. He landed, took another stride and then launched himself again. His body shot into the air, front legs neatly tucked up against his chest and then stretching forth to absorb the shock of impact. They landed cleanly and took another two strides, hindquarters straining as they pushed the bay horse and his rider once more into the air.
 
“Yes!” Heero cheered as Zoe cantered away from the triple and lined up jump ten.
 
Jump ten was cleared and Zoe turned her horse to the right to face jump eleven; the wall. It was a solid thing, about five foot Heero estimated. Lion sized it up, picked his takeoff point and once more leapt into the air.
 
Having successfully cleared the wall, Zoe sat down hard in her saddle, collected her horse together and then turned a sharp left to bring them in line with jump twelve. So far all was looking good for the pair.
 
“He's getting tired,” Treize commented, his expert eye taking in the small details of the horse that a less experienced person would miss.
 
Heero, Duo and Zechs all focused harder on the horse, looking for the evidence Treize had pointed out. All Duo and Zechs could see was the extended nostrils and light sheen of sweat on the bay coat. Heero could read a little more. He noticed the horse's stride wasn't as fluid as when they'd first begun, also Lion wasn't picking his feet up quite as high.
 
The bay made a gallant effort, launching himself into the air and just clearing jump twelve.
 
“One to go, Zoe. Keep him together,” Heero muttered.
 
“That's it, nice and steady, build the impulsion,” Treize mumbled to himself.
 
Zechs and Duo exchanged looks behind the pair's backs.
 
Zoe gave her horse all the assistance she could, steadying the pace, keeping him in check and trying to retain and build as much energy as she could. Three strides away she let the bay go.
 
Lion surged forward, his strides eating up the ground and then pushing off into the air. They seemed to hang in midair, right over the top of the jump for a second before Lion obeyed the laws of gravity and descended to earth again. As soon as all four feet were on the ground, Zoe was urging him through the finish flags and then patting him enthusiastically as she slowed him back to a steady trot.
 
“Clear round,” the commentator began, but the rest of his words were lost to the four as they let fly with whoops and cheers of their own.
 
“She was great!” Heero enthused, smiling from ear to ear.
 
“That was an excellent round,” Treize beamed. “I'm sure Zoe, Michael and Noin will all be pleased with that.”
 
“Perfect,” Duo smirked and then looked at Zechs, his grin getting wider as he rubbed his fingers and thumb together indicating Zechs had better pay up.
 
Zechs rolled his eyes and pulled his wallet out again. He rifled through and then turned to Duo. “I'm afraid I don't have any more five dollar notes.”
 
“I have change,” Duo grinned.
 
With a noncommittal grunt and vowing the next time Duo wanted to make a bet he would make sure he didn't listen, Zechs fished out a ten and handed it over, receiving a five in exchange.
 
“Ahh,” said Duo as he kissed the ten dollar note and then went to put it in his pocket.
 
Heero caught the movement out the corner of his eye and turned to his lover. “Duo?” he questioned.
 
“Hmm?” Duo didn't look up as he was busy shoving the note away.
 
“Why are you shoving money into your pocket?”
 
“Winnings, Heero. Winnings,” Duo crowed.
 
“Winnings?”
 
Treize picked up on the conversation then and turned his attention to the two vets, raising an eyebrow in question.
 
“Yeah, I bet Zechs that Zoe would go clear and she did. Remind me to give that woman a kiss when I catch up with her,” Duo replied.
 
Treize turned back to look at his lover, Zechs just shrugged.
 
“What can I say? Chances of her going clear were pretty slim,” Zechs replied in his defense.
 
“It's not the fact of you betting,” Treize began, “It's that you bet against your own country.”
 
“Oh, yeah. Didn't think about that.”
 
* * *
 
The rest of the second riders went through, the New Zealand and English riders finishing with four faults, the South African went clear and the French rider also had four penalties.
 
“It's going to be a close competition,” Heero stated as he looked up from his notebook where he was recording all the results. “Even though we're only half way through the first round and it all depends on the remaining riders and then on which scores the team managers drop, I'm still thinking this will go down to the wire.”
 
“Makes it more interesting,” Treize replied and poured himself another glass of wine.
 
The broadcast had taken a brief interlude and the four discussed the course, riders and various teams whilst they waited for it to resume. Heero glanced at his watch, it was starting to get late and whilst he didn't want to leave and miss out on the rest of the competition, he still had to get up in the morning and report to work.
 
Treize noticed the glance and checked the time himself. The broadcast wasn't due to finish for another hour yet and it was already nine o'clock. Knowing what must be going through Heero's mind, he decided to cut them both a little slack. Stretching his arms above his head, he felt his spine pop and made a soft announcement. “I think we will start later tomorrow, Heero. There's not many horses in work so how about you come to work for eight thirty instead of seven thirty?”
 
Heero looked up at his boss. “You sure?”
 
“Yes. I don't think I'm going to be too sociable at that time in the morning, not after sitting up to watch this tonight.”
 
“Okay. Thank you.”
 
Duo smiled and gave Treize a grateful look, Treize returned the smile.
 
The broadcast returned and gave the updated scores on the third riders to go so far. The Japanese rider had four faults, the Swede, eight and the Italian four. The German rider was half way through his course and currently had four faults.
 
They watched as the large gray worked his way over the triple and jump ten. The turn to eleven didn't pose any problem but the turn to twelve was a little too sharp and the horse came in all wrong. He had no option but to stop. It was cleared on the second attempt, but the damage was done, another four penalties to bring their total to eight.
 
Adam was the next of the Aussies to go and Promises looked in fine form. The bay mare had her ears pricked and Adam looked calm and at ease. They commenced their round slowly, Adam steadily building the mare's speed as they cleared fence after fence.
 
The double and triple were sailed over, Promises making them look so simple and easy. Jumps ten, eleven and twelve posed no threat, even with the sharp turns and everyone could see Adam relaxing.
 
“He's getting too complacent,” Treize muttered. “He shouldn't let his concentration slip. Damn! Knew that would happen.”
 
Adam had indeed lost his concentration, thinking the worst of the course was over and with only one jump left to go, he'd relaxed too much. Consequently, Promises didn't have enough impulsion and scraped her hind legs over the top pole, sending it rocking in the cups and then crashing to the ground.
 
“Noin's gonna give him hell for that,” Heero snickered.
 
“Yeah. I don't think I'd like to be in his shoes right now,” Treize agreed.
 
The New Zealand rider entered the arena and commenced their course, flying over everything to come out with a clear round. The English rider had a bit of bad luck and ended up with twelve faults, the South African had four and the French rider, much to his delight also had a clear round.
 
With there only being the fourth riders of each team left to jump, the commentator brought the viewers up to date with the current scores. Once that was over they showed highlights from the first four teams fourth riders before switching to the last of the Australians to go.
 
Jenny looked nervous. This was her first International competition and she looked anything but happy right now. Charade seemed to pick up on his rider's worry and didn't jump as well as he could. By the time they were half way through the course, Jenny had pulled herself together and rode her horse properly. Unfortunately they came out with eight faults.
 
Heero did a quick tally up and then gave everyone his own running score. “It all depends on which scores the team managers decide to drop, but I'm betting they will naturally drop the worst score from each team. If that's the case then I have the totals after round one as such.” Heero picked up his notebook and began to read.
 
“Italy: sixteen penalties. Sweden: twelve penalties. Japan: eight. Germany: twenty faults. Australia: eight penalties. New Zealand: eight penalties. England: twenty penalties. South Africa: twelve penalties and France: twelve penalties.”
 
Heero's calculations were confirmed by the commentator a couple of minutes later.
 
“That puts us in equal first place with Japan and New Zealand,” Treize stated.
 
“Yes, it does,” Heero replied.
 
“The day after tomorrow's round is going to be a fiercely fought one.” Treize scratched his neck. “You two are coming back that evening to watch the final?”
 
“Wouldn't miss it,” Heero stated with a grin.
 
“I'll be here with bells on,” Duo replied cheerfully.
 
“Just as long as you leave the gambling obsession at home,” Zechs said flatly.
 
The other three chuckled.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...