Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 53 ( Chapter 53 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 53
 
“Something smells good,” Heero stated as he walked into the kitchen after finishing off taking care of the horses. He spotted that something cooling on a wire rack and snuck over to take a look while Duo was busy checking whatever it was he had in the oven.
 
The golden pastry adorning the sausage rolls stared back at him, the aroma teasing his nostrils and causing his mouth to water. His hand snuck forward to pinch one.
 
*Smack!*
 
“Ow! What was that for?” Heero asked as he pulled his abused hand back and cradled it to his chest.
 
Duo waved the wooden spoon in front of him and admonished. “No sampling, they're for us to take to Treize's for supper tonight.”
 
“Can't I have just one?” Heero cajoled.
 
“No.”
 
“Please?” Heero wrapped his arms around Duo's waist and pulled the vet closer to him, nibbling on his neck.
 
“Ah, no,” Duo repeated, although it lacked the conviction of his previous refusal.
 
“They smell so delicious and all I want is one, just to make sure they taste okay. Wouldn't want to take them to Treize's and have them taste terrible, now would we?” Heero tried again and found the sensitive spot at the base of Duo's neck.
 
“Are you saying my cooking is shit?”
 
“Errr... No, not at all.”
 
“They taste just fine.”
 
“How do you know?”
 
“I already tried them.” Duo's face smirked at the stunned look on Heero's.
 
“That's so not fair,” Heero whined as he pulled back.
 
“Here.” Duo shoved a sausage roll into Heero's hand. “Eat it and go get showered, I can't stand the whining.”
 
“Thanks.” Heero grinned from ear to ear and took his treat, munching on it as he headed for his shower. Whining, regardless of how childish it was, still had its place - in Heero's opinion anyway.
 
Duo shook his head and watched his partner leave. Once Heero was in the shower, Duo quickly fetched the mini quiches he'd had cooking out of the oven and put them to cool. Hopefully they would be cool enough to pack into a container to take with them before his lover got out of the shower. If Heero knew Duo had made mini quiches, there wouldn't be any left for anyone else!
 
* * *
 
Once again Treize met his guests at the door and let them in. He took the bag Heero was carrying off him and with Duo following, went through to the kitchen with the supper Duo and Heero had brought.
 
“You really didn't have to go to all this trouble,” Treize said as he helped Duo unpack the containers to reveal not only the mini quiches and sausage rolls, but cheese, biscuits, pate and a plate of mixed sandwiches.
 
“It wasn't any trouble,” Duo assured the man. “I had some spare time this afternoon and I like to cook.”
 
“Well, thank you, it really is nice of you to bring it all.”
 
“Just make sure you get a few of the quiches as soon as they're brought out.”
 
“Oh, why?” Treize asked, curious as to why Duo would make such a statement.
 
“Once Heero sees them you won't have any chance of getting one.”
 
“That bad, huh?” Treize chuckled.
 
“Treize, you have no idea,” Duo sighed.
 
“Come on, I'll leave them in the oven on low to heat back up. We should manage to see the first few rounds before they're ready and then we can have supper.”
 
“I'm right with you, Treize.”
 
* * *
 
Whilst Treize and Duo had been busy in the kitchen with the supper, Zechs had poured drinks for them all in the lounge room and was busy conversing with Heero. When the other two walked in, Zechs passed Duo a drink and then gave Treize his. The pair sat down on the couches next to their respective lovers and got comfortable.
 
“it's going to be a really intense final,” Heero commented.
 
“That it will,” Treize replied as he picked up the remote and turned the volume back on from mute. The event had yet to start and the commentator was currently going through the previous rounds and bringing the viewers up to par with the scores thus far.
 
“They jump in reverse order this time, don't they?” Duo inquired.
 
“Yes, they do,” Treize said and sipped his wine.
 
“Reverse countries?” Zechs questioned.
 
“No, the country draw is still the same, but the riders will go in reverse order. They start with number four then three and so on. Scoring is still the same with the worst score being dropped, then they add the final round scores to the first round scores to give an overall total and the placings,” Heero informed the blonde vet.
 
“What about the course?” Zechs asked.
 
“It remains the same as it was for the first rounds only it's higher and wider,” Treize answered.
 
“Ah. Thank you.”
 
“No problem,” Treize smiled then leaned in and stole a kiss.
 
Zechs blushed a little and snuck a peek at their guests. Heero was glued to the television screen, but Duo gave him a wink and thumbs up.
 
“It's starting,” Heero informed them all and quickly pulled his notebook and pen from his pocket to keep tabs on the scores.
 
The commentator welcomed everyone back and then went on to announce that the Italian rider was about to jump.
 
“Good, we may get to see some of the teams we didn't see ride the other day,” Treize muttered.
 
The Italian rider had scored four penalties in his first round and was hoping to improve on that. They set off at a steady pace and the horse seemed to have no problems with the extra height.
 
“He's doing well,” Zechs commented.
 
“Let's see how he goes over the triple and remaining four jumps after that,” Treize stated. “Those are the really tough ones.”
 
Sure enough, the Italian rider came to grief over the triple, knocking down a rail on the last element. His horse seemed to get a little unnerved by that and they had a refusal at jump ten. They cleared it on the second attempt and then went on to finish the rest of the course without any further faults.
 
“I make that eight faults,” Heero said, his figures confirmed a moment later by the commentator.
 
The program didn't show the next two competitors, giving out their scores instead which Heero quickly noted down. The Swede had eight faults and the Japanese rider, four. The German rider appeared on the screen.
 
“He looks determined,” Duo mused as he observed the look on the man's face.
 
“So he should,” Heero chuckled. “They didn't do too well in the first round so they will be giving it their all in these rounds.”
 
“What score did they finish on?” Zechs asked, he couldn't remember the final tally from the previous evening.
 
“Twenty,” Heero replied after a quick look at his notebook.
 
The German rider started his round and it was clear from the outset he meant business. He rode with much better precision than the previous riders, keeping his horse well balanced throughout. He managed to bring the animal into each jump on the correct stride and gave his horse every chance to retain impulsion.
 
They came out with a clear round.
 
“That was some nice riding,” Heero whistled.
 
“Sure was,” Treize agreed.
 
“Jenny's in next,” Duo announced, watching the screen as the young woman rode into the arena to a round of applause.
 
“I hope she manages to keep herself together this time,” Treize said, his eyes scanning over the figure on the screen to try and determine the woman's current state of mind.
 
“She looks a lot more relaxed than yesterday,” Heero said.
 
“Probably gave her a shot of whiskey before her round,” mumbled Zechs.
 
Duo, Heero and Treize all turned, wide eyed to stare at him.
 
“It does work to help calm the nerves,” Zechs said in defense of himself.
 
“Speaking from experience, are we?” Duo teased.
 
“Ah... Oh look, she's started,” Zechs exclaimed, relieved when the attention left him and went back to the television.
 
Jenny did appear to be more relaxed and in control, consequently, Charade also appeared to be more confident and sailed over the first three jumps effortlessly.
 
“I hope she keeps this up,” Heero muttered. He was well aware of how the pressure of such a high profile competition could get to a person; he'd suffered with a case of the 'butterflies' on more than one occasion!
 
The double posed no problem, the gray clearing both elements with ease and soon they were well on their way to the triple. Still clear, they took off over the first element, landed and took a stride before becoming airborne again. Charade slightly misjudged the height and had to twist in mid air to clear it, landing a little awkwardly. They had two strides before the third element and as Charade recovered from his bad landing, it was clear he was going to need a huge, if not impossible effort to clear part C.
 
“Oh crap, I can't watch,” Duo said and promptly hid his face behind Heero.
 
Charade managed to get his hind legs underneath him and launch into the air, Jenny doing her best to stay with the gray. The previous landing had unseated her a little and she hadn't quite recovered. Grasping for a chunk of mane to hold onto and avoid jabbing Charade in the mouth, Jenny hung on, trying to keep her balance with the horse.
 
Charade's front legs skimmed the top pole, his belly dragging lightly over it before his hind legs caught it completely and sent it tumbling from the cups. Pole and horse touched the ground together, Charade stumbling to his knees before managing to shove himself upright. The stumble upon landing pitched Jenny forward in her saddle, he feet coming free from the stirrups as she tried desperately to stay with her horse. As Charade pushed himself upright again she lost all balance and went flying over the gray's right shoulder and hit the ground hard.
 
The judge's bell immediately sounded as a couple of stewards and the first aid officer ran from the side to the fallen rider. Charade gave a whinny and cantered towards the exit where another steward caught him.
 
“Shit!” Heero exclaimed.
 
“Oh, Jesus,” Treize added.
 
“Ouch, that's gotta hurt,” Zechs contributed.
 
“What happened? Oh fuck.” Duo had peeked out from behind Heero's back at all the cursing to see Jenny sprawled on the ground and Charade heading for the exit.
 
“I hope she's okay,” Heero said as he chewed his bottom lip.
 
“We will know soon enough,” Treize replied. Both himself and Heero knew just how much a fall could hurt - they had first hand experience at it.
 
The commentator came on, reassuring all the viewers that the stewards and medical officer were in attendance and they should have a report very shortly. The scene in the ring showed the medic checking Jenny over, talking to the woman and nodding his head as he felt over the bones of her arms and legs. Moments later, Jenny stood up and to the cheers of the crowd was escorted from the arena.
 
“At least she's walking,” Duo sighed in relief.
 
“There doesn't appear to be much wrong from what I could tell,” Treize stated, eyes glued to the woman on the screen.
 
“I'm sure the commentator will let us know in due course,” Zechs offered.
 
“That's going to make it really tough on the rest of the team,” Heero observed.
 
Before Zechs could question Heero's comment, the announcer on the broadcast spoke to inform them of Jenny's condition. She'd been lucky and not broken anything. Concussion was ruled out too and the medic was pleased to announce she had only suffered from some mild bruising.
 
“That's a relief,” Treize said as the adverts came on.
 
“What did you mean by it will be tough on the rest of the team, Heero?” Zechs asked whilst he had the chance.
 
“A fall automatically means elimination. With the best three scores counting towards the final score, the other three are going to have to try really hard to go clear. Jenny's elimination means her score won't count so it all rests on how well the other three do,” Heero replied.
 
“Ah, I see.” Zechs thought about it for a moment then continued. “The pressure will really be on then.”
 
“Too true,” Heero said.
 
“In one way, I'm glad I'm not competing,” Treize muttered.
 
“I can understand that. So am I,” Zechs mumbled under his breath. “I don't think I could take the strain.”
 
Treize gave his lover a warm smile. “Nice to know someone cares.”
 
Zechs blushed and was saved from further embarrassment as the broadcast continued.
 
The remaining number four riders went through and all scored four penalties. There was a short break and then it was time for the third riders to tackle the course.
 
The Italian rider finished with four penalties, the Swede had eight and the Japanese rider, four. The German rider had ridden with as much determination as his team-mate and scored another clear round. Then it was time for Adam and Promises to complete their second round.
 
All four men sat with their eyes riveted to the screen, both Duo and Zechs were caught up in the excitement of the event, each eager to see the Aussies do well.
 
“He looks nervous,” Treize commented.
 
“Can't say I blame him,” muttered Duo. “I'd be shitting myself if I had the weight of the nation on my shoulders.”
 
“Not quite how I would have put it, Duo, but I think we would all have to agree with you there,” Heero snickered.
 
Duo flushed as he realized what he'd said. Zechs gave him a grin.
 
Adam started his round, obviously Jenny's fall had unsettled him and he rode very carefully. Promises listened well, adjusting her stride and changing direction as her rider asked her to. She was a sweet little mare, very similar to Periwinkle in her willingness to please.
 
The pair managed to clear the first six jumps, although there had been a couple of near misses when Promises' hind legs had rattled a pole or two; fortunately they didn't fall. Jumps seven and eight were cleared and the pair were on track for the triple.
 
Adam was concentrating hard, doing all he could to give his mount every opportunity to clear the jumps. They soared into the air over part A, landed, took a stride and then became airborne once again. Clearing part B, Promises hit the ground and was gathering herself together for the final element. The spread on part C had been widened and the mare reached with all she had to clear it. Unfortunately, she tipped the top pole and this time it didn't rattle, but fell to the ground.
 
“Shit!”
 
“Damn!”
 
“Fuck!”
 
“Bugger!”
 
“Well, I think we're all in agreement that that wasn't a good thing,” chuckled Treize.
 
Adam didn't let the fallen pole get to him, he rode like the professional he was and collected his horse up, re-balancing the mare and driving her forward to jump ten. They cleared that and made the right turn to come on line for jump eleven. Still concentrating hard, Adam held his horse together and they successfully cleared that jump as well. Landing safely, Adam applied the aids and Promises turned left.
 
They approached the twelfth jump with lots of impulsion and cleared that too.
 
“One to go, keep it together, Adam,” Treize muttered.
 
“Steady, slow a bit, that's it,” Heero mumbled under his breath.
 
Promises lengthened out and drove her hind legs underneath to launch herself into the air. They shot up, arcing over the jump, Adam giving his horse all the assistance he could. They scraped over the top and rocked the pole in the cups. The mare came back to earth, the pole still rocking back and forth as if deciding whether to stay in place or fall to the ground.
 
Adam must have sensed it because as soon as Promises was on the ground, he steered for the finish flags and pushed the mare into a gallop. The pole finally made its mind up and rolled out of the cups to hit the dirt a split second before Adam crossed through the finish.
 
A groan went up from the crowd.
 
“That has got to be the worst case of bad luck,” Heero moaned.
 
“You would think the pole could have waited another second before falling,” Treize sighed.
 
“I don't see that it would have made any difference,” Zechs stated with a raised eyebrow.
 
“Actually, it does,” Heero replied.
 
“Oh? How?”
 
“If Adam had crossed the finish before the pole fell then the faults would not be counted as he'd finished his course. Because it fell just as he was passing through the finish and the clock was still running, it means another four faults.” Heero shook his head.
 
“That means he now has eight faults and that's eight faults we could have done without,” Treize added, his tone grim.
 
“Damn,” Duo said then turned to Treize. “I think maybe now would be a good time to check on the supper.”
 
“Good idea.”
 
“I'll go do it, Treize, you stay here and watch,” Duo insisted as he stood up.
 
“Now that's not fair to you, you're a guest and shouldn't be fetching your own supper,” Treize objected.
 
“It's fine, Treize. I really don't mind.”
 
“I'll go help, you stay and watch,” Zechs interrupted.
 
“But...”
 
“Don't start. I'm not a guest; or at least I hope I'm more than a guest,” Zechs cut in, his tone soft.
 
Treize sighed and gave up. “Okay. Thank you both.”
 
With a broad grin on his face, Duo left with Zechs in tow.
 
* * *
 
By the time Duo and Zechs had supper plated and brought in, the second rounds had all finished and the broadcast was having its own break. The food was set upon the small coffee table for everyone to help themselves.
 
“I'd suggest getting into those quiches before Heero does, if you don't then you'll have no chance at all,” Duo snickered.
 
Zechs raised an eyebrow, Treize laughed.
 
“Quiches? Did you say, quiches, Duo?” Heero's gaze left the screen and focused on the food. “Oh, man, you made quiches!” Heero's eyes took on a dreamy look.
 
“Better be quick, guys,” Duo warned and the other two were sure to get in before Heero, piling up their plates and relaxing back to enjoy the supper.
 
The coverage came back on and gave the viewers a run down on the competition thus far. After Adam had finished his round with eight faults, the New Zealand rider had gone clear, the English and French riders both finished with four faults and the South African rider had also gone clear.
 
The next round of competition had begun, the second riders now getting their chance at the course. The commentator filled the viewers in, showing highlights from the first four rounds. The Italian rider had repeated his first round errors and came out with eight faults again. The Swedish and German riders had both scored four penalties whilst the Japanese rider had ridden the round of his life and come out with a clear round.
 
Now it was Zoe's turn.
 
The petite woman rode into he ring with a soft smile on her lips and a determined glint in her eye. Beneath her, Lionheart looked fit and confident, his stride long but bouncy. His ears flicked back and forth, taking in everything round him and looking eager to jump.
 
Duo glanced at Treize and Heero, both men were oblivious to anything but the screen in front of them. He switched to watch Zechs, an amused light in his eye as he noted the blonde vet also watching the other two in amusement. They made eye contact and snickered to each other over their respective partner's obsessive need to watch.
 
Eyeing Heero's plate that sat forgotten in his lap, a quiche and sausage roll still present, Duo leaned a little towards Zechs and whispered, “Bet you five bucks I can sneak that quiche off Heero's plate.”
 
Zechs frowned, stared at Heero, then the quiche and recalling how Heero had practically snatched some of the quiches from the plate earlier, he nodded in acceptance.
 
Fingers snuck forward, stealthily creeping towards Heero's plate. Just as they were about to close around the quiche, a hand caught the wrist in a strong grip and Duo found himself looking into Heero's blue eyes.
 
“Mine,” Heero stated and dropped Duo's hand back into his own lap. Heero then proceeded to snatch up the quiche and devour it in two bites.
 
Zechs almost choked on his laughter, the look on Duo's face was priceless! He held out his hand and Duo duly placed five dollars in it. Having paid off his debt, Duo's eyes turned sneaky and he lined Zechs up again.
 
“Fancy another bet?”
 
Zechs thought about it. “Depends on what it is.”
 
“I bet Zoe goes clear again.”
 
Now the chances of Zoe having two clear rounds was pretty slim. Zechs calculated the odds. “How much?”
 
“Ten bucks.”
 
“Okay.”
 
* * *
 
Lionheart was enjoying himself. The bell sounded and he was off, sailing over the first two fences easily and following with clear over the third. The double disappeared beneath him and he cantered on towards jump five. That was cleared and followed by a left turn to six.
 
“I really hope they can keep this up,” Heero muttered. “After the disasters of the first two rounds they really need to go clear.”
 
“I agree,” Treize said. “If both Zoe and Peter can go clear then we should still be in with a chance.”
 
Jumps seven and eight were also cleared and Zoe was on track for the triple. Lion bounded up to the first element, sailed over it and landed, recovering quickly. Part B was similarly cleared and the bay had no problem in gathering himself up for the last element. They flew over that and landed safely, Zoe riding the horse together as she focused on the next jump.
 
“Beautifully ridden,” Treize cheered.
 
“Way to go, Zoe!” Heero's face was split in a huge grin.
 
Zoe obviously remembered the close call she'd had in her first round and this time she made sure to give Lion extra room to regain balance and build up impulsion. The bay responded, listening intently to his mistress and obeying her slightest aid. They leapt over jump ten, turned and met eleven dead center. From eleven they made the turn to twelve and cleared that also.
 
“One to go, keep it focused, Zoe,” Heero whispered.
 
Lionheart sized up the jump, picked his take off point and bounded forward. His hind legs propelled him into the air and over the jump, the size of the leap almost unseating Zoe. She stayed with her horse though and rode him at a gallop through the finish.
 
“Clear round!” the commentator announced.
 
“Yes!” Heero punched the air.
 
“That was magnificent riding,” Treize cheered.
 
“I don't believe it. I lost again.” Zechs muttered.
 
Duo snickered. “Time to cough up.”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...