Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 54 ( Chapter 54 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 54
 
Zechs handed over the ten dollars, muttering under his breath about the luck of the Irish, to which Duo replied he had no Irish blood in him at all, if he had, he would have been sure to have doubled the bet. Zechs decided ignoring the other vet would be the best way to go, not to mention keep some weight in his wallet.
 
Zoe exited the ring enthusiastically patting Lion and grinning from ear to ear. In the brief glimpse they were shown of the collecting ring, they could make out Michael and Noin waiting for her, equally as enthusiastic with her round.
 
“You know,” Heero mused as he scanned over the figures in his notebook. “Zoe's done two clear rounds. If they were awarding individual placings as well, she would be in with a damn good chance of winning.”
 
“Shame they don't,” Treize stated. “But the Nations Cup is a team only event.”
 
“If she keeps this up I'm damn sure she will be in the Olympic team and possibly score an individual placing there,” Heero muttered.
 
“Anything is possible.”
 
All eyes turned back to the television where the New Zealand rider had come in and commenced their round, determination written into every line of the rider's face. It was obvious all riders had learnt from their first rounds and were determined not to repeat their previous mistakes.
 
The Kiwi flew around the course, his horse listening well and clearing jump after jump. Heero was biting his lip, his sense of sportsmanship appreciating the partnership between horse and rider whilst his loyalty to his country was hoping the New Zealander would flatten the remaining jumps - or at least knock a few rails down.
 
He didn't, much to Heero's disappointment.
 
“Clear round,” the commentator announced.
 
Heero decided he needed another of Duo's lovely mini quiches. Comfort food was such a nice thing to have. He turned to reach for another one, glancing out the corner of his eye at the plate where one, solitary quiche remained. He quickly eyed up the opposition. Duo was busy pocketing something whilst chatting to Treize. Good, those two were occupied. He had a sneak look at Zechs, the blonde seemed a little distracted right now. Even better. Now all he had to do was inch his hand forward...
 
Zechs finished putting his wallet away and decided to refill his plate. After losing again to Duo, he needed some form of comfort food himself. He took a quick inventory of what remained of the food; a few sandwiches, some sausage rolls and one quiche. Zechs reached forth, aiming for the quiche when it was snatched out from under his fingers. It happened so fast all Zechs felt was the breeze as it ruffled his bangs. He blinked. Yep, no doubt about it, the quiche was gone. He raised his eyes and spotted Heero smirking at him. Damn! Bad enough he had to keep losing to Duo in the betting stakes; but to lose out to Heero in the quiche department as well? That was a bitter pill to swallow.
 
“You snooze, you lose,” Heero muttered and then devoured the quiche in two bites.
 
Zechs couldn't help it; he pouted.
 
Completely oblivious to the battle of the quiche that had just taken place, Treize finished his conversation with Duo and turned back to the broadcast as the English rider was entering the ring. He caught the pout on Zechs' face and raised an eyebrow. “Why the pout?”
 
“I'm not pouting.”
 
“Yes, you are.”
 
“No, I'm not. I don't pout.”
 
“You do now,” Treize replied in an amused tone. “Actually, I think it's rather cute.”
 
Zechs flushed and growled. “I'll tell you later.”
 
The English rider rode an impeccable round and came out clear. The South African and French riders both finished with four faults each. The broadcast broke for adverts leaving the guys with time to discuss the current competition.
 
“How are the scores looking, Heero?” Treize asked as he cleared away the empty dishes.
 
“Pretty close. Hard to say exactly what they are as it will depend on which score the team managers drop. Right now it's still very tight between the Japanese, New Zealand, French and Aussie teams. These last rounds are going to be critical.”
 
“How close is it?” Duo asked as he took a look over Heero's shoulder to his notebook. Figures were jotted down, but Duo wasn't sure of the method Heero was using to keep tabs on all the scores so he was no wiser.
 
“There's about four penalties separating first from fourth.”
 
Zechs whistled. “That is close.”
 
“It's going to be a very exciting last round then. I hope that Peter keeps it together for the team,” Treize said as he sat back down after putting the tray with mugs of coffee on the table.
 
Everyone helped themselves to the coffee then sat back to enjoy the final round of competition.
 
“And now we return to Auckland for the final rounds of the Nations Cup team competition,” the commentator announced. “Currently it is a very close competition for the final top three placings and anything can happen. Sit back and enjoy...”
 
The broadcast showed highlights from the Italian rider's round, the man finishing with a total of four penalties. Heero quickly scribbled it down and started to do mental calculations, putting his own probable final score for the Italian team down on paper.
 
The Swedish rider had a fast round and went clear, Heero adding up that teams total too. The Japanese rider came in and rode a very neat, precise round to also go clear. Adding up the probable total for the Japanese team, Heero felt the pressure building. This was going to be close.
 
The German rider entered and despite doing everything right, his horse was unlucky enough to be 'spooked' by something in the crowd and refused jump six, one of the easier jumps on the course. He finished with a total of four penalties.
 
“That was really bad luck,” Treize said in sympathy.
 
“Yeah, it's gotta suck when you do everything right to suddenly have your horse refuse due to something totally out of your control,” Duo commented. “Is there nothing they can do about that?”
 
“Unfortunately, no. By the time your horse gets to this standard of jumping he is expected to be educated enough to concentrate completely on his rider and the jumps, not what's going on around him,” Treize replied.
 
“Obviously the horses aren't reading the same manual then,” Duo muttered. “That's just stupid.”
 
“Not really. I can see the point regarding the horse's education, but I do agree there are times when some things do happen in the crowd that are completely out of the rider's control and unfortunately, that's part of life.” Treize sighed.
 
“Are there any measures you can take to prevent that from happening?” Zechs questioned. “I've seen them use blinkers on racehorses.”
 
Heero snickered. “Yes, there are some measures you can take, but putting blinkers on a show jumper isn't a good idea.”
 
“Why not?”
 
“A horses eyes are on the side of its head which gives it pretty much complete 180 degrees vision on each side. [1] They have two blind spots; one directly in front of the nose, which extends for about four feet in front of the horse and one behind the tail which goes for about ten feet. If you were to put blinkers on them then they wouldn't be able to see much of the jump they're approaching at all; as it is, they lose sight of the jump a couple of strides away. It would be like riding a horse that's completely blind.”
 
He hadn't really thought much about it, but when Heero pointed that out all Zechs' knowledge on the equine eye came back to him and it made perfect sense. “Ah, now I see,” he replied.
 
“Or not,” Duo teased.
 
“You can use earmuffs though to muffle any sounds and keep the flies and insects out,” Treize offered. [2]
 
The thought of a horse wearing large, fur lined earmuffs sprang to Duo's mind and he couldn't help but laugh at the mental picture.
 
“It's true. They do have specially made earmuffs for horses; and what's most important, they work. It's Peter's turn to jump.” Treize indicated that the conversation was closed and turned back to the television.
 
A very determined Peter rode into the ring and approached the judge. He saluted, collected his horse and rode towards the start line to await the bell.
 
“He looks all business,” Duo commented.
 
“Wouldn't surprise me if Noin hasn't had a bit of a subtle word in his ear,” Heero snickered.
 
“Yeah, and we all know how subtle Noin can be,” Treize stated dryly.
 
“He needs to go clear if the Aussies are to have any chance of finishing in the top three,” Heero muttered, checking his figures again.
 
“Then I suggest we all start praying,” Zechs teased in an effort to lighten the mood. Seeing Duo's eyes light up and his mouth about to open, Zechs reacted quickly. “Oh no, I'm not betting again.”
 
Duo looked suitably hurt before speaking. “I wasn't going to ask if you wanted to bet.”
 
“You weren't?”
 
“No. Actually, I was going to ask you if you wanted the last sausage roll.”
 
“Oh.” Zechs felt predictably guilty then for simply assuming.
 
“If he doesn't, then I will,” Heero piped up.
 
“Thanks, I'll take it,” Zechs was quick to say and all but snatched the sausage roll off the plate. He was damned if Heero was going to get the last sausage roll too!
 
Duo watched with amused violet eyes, wondering what sparked that off, then he gave a positively evil smirk. “But if you are interested in a bet...”
 
“NO!” Zechs cut him off sharply. He'd well and truly learnt his lesson regarding betting with Duo Maxwell.
 
Duo just grinned and turned back to the screen where Peter had gotten the bell and was starting his round.
 
The black looked magnificent, full of power an eager to jump. Peter was equally as impressive, his eyes fixed on the course ahead as he rode his horse together. They took the first three jumps easily, increasing their speed slightly as they continued on their course. Peter was careful to maintain the impulsion and keep his horse balanced.
 
They turned for the double, SkyHigh tucking his feet up and sailing over the first element. They landed, took the allocated strides and once more were airborne.
 
“Nice jump,” Zechs whistled.
 
“He's riding a lot better this time,” Heero noted.
 
“Let's hope they maintain it all the way,” Treize mumbled as he leaned forward in his seat.
 
Gathering the black together, Peter rode the stallion at the fifth fence. SkyHigh was listening carefully and obeying the slightest touch from his master. He bounded forward and cleared the jump.
 
A sweeping left turn followed and the pair were on course for jump six, a simple gate. Hind quarters gathered underneath and then launched the animal into the air. They flew over the gate and landed easily, Peter sitting deep into the saddle and gathering his horse up. Jump seven was similarly cleared, as was fence eight.
 
“So far, so good,” Duo muttered nervously.
 
Zechs dragged his eyes away from the screen and current action for a moment to observe the other three. What he saw amused him to no end. All three were sitting on the edge of their seats, eyes glued to the television. There were subtle shifts in Treize's body, almost as if he were riding the course himself. Duo was up close against Heero and gnawing on his thumb nail. Zechs guessed that Duo didn't have any other fingernails left to chew. Heero? Zechs had to snicker. Heero had the end of Duo's braid in a death grip. Zechs swore if the braid had been a living organism, it would surely be dead from asphyxiation by now.
 
“Easy,” Treize whispered.
 
“Check him back. Steady, build it up,” Heero muttered.
 
“Now let him go,” Treize urged.
 
Peter had lined up the triple perfectly. SkyHigh shot forth as soon as Peter gave him the rein, muscles bunched and flexed under the satiny coat as the strong hind legs pushed man and beast into the air. They cleared part A, landed safely and took the two strides to part B. Once again the black surged forth and into the air, leaping over the middle element and touching down cleanly. Another two strides and Peter had his horse collected, the impulsion surging through as they took off over the final element. SkyHigh easily made the extra width, front hooves digging deep into the dirt as they absorbed the impact of landing.
 
“Beautifully ridden,” Heero breathed and relaxed a little.
 
Jump ten was cleared and Peter was turning the black for eleven. Ears cocked, the stallion strode out and soared into the air again. Once all four feet were on the ground, Peter was once more riding the stallion together, holding a powder keg of energy between his hands and legs. They took a slightly wider turn to jump twelve.
 
“He's not taking any chances,” Treize noted.
 
“Time's good,” Heero mentioned as his eyes flicked to the time clock display in the corner of the screen.
 
Spotting the jump ahead, SkyHigh fought for his head, Peter having quite the battle to persuade his horse to listen to him and stay at the controlled pace. They cleared twelve with a couple of inches to spare.
 
“One to go. I hope he can keep it together for that one,” Duo huffed, the excitement was really getting to him.
 
“He'd better unless he wants Noin on his case,” Heero returned.
 
Peter's concentration never wavered. He held his horse together, hands, seat and legs all working in unison to contain the energy of the eager horse beneath. Three strides out, Peter went forward in his saddle, eased off a touch on the reins and unleashed that power. Muscles strained as the stallion pushed off the ground, defying gravity and launching into the air.
 
Four men collectively held their breath.
 
SkyHigh seemed to do just that - aim for the sky. He soared over the jump, legs tucked neatly underneath and then slowly unfurling in preparation for the landing. Fore hooves touched down, hind ones following a split second later and the pair were heading for the finish line. Peter gave his horse the rein and urged him on. SkyHigh sprinted forth enjoying the chance to gallop and tore through the finish.
 
“Clear round!” the commentator announced.
 
“Fantastic!” Treize cried.
 
“Oh, well done,” Zechs beamed
 
“Way to go!” Duo cheered and punched the air.
 
“Yes!” Heero yelled and releasing Duo's braid, he grabbed his lover and kissed him soundly.
 
The sound of the television in the background was the only noise to be heard as Heero released his lover from the kiss. Suddenly realizing where he was and what he'd done, he froze, a flush slowly creeping up his skin as he stared into Duo's wide eyes.
 
A discreet cough from the side alerted them to their hosts' presence and both men separated slowly, doing their best to try and look innocent. Heero muttered a quick apology to Duo under his breath before turning a little more to apologize to his hosts.
 
Two pairs of amused eyes greeted him and it was then that he noticed Treize holding Zechs' hand and gently stroking his thumb over it.
 
“Ah, I-I'm, errrr... S-sorry...” Heero didn't get any further before Treize interrupted him.
 
“Heero, don't worry about it. It's fine.”
 
“But, we're guests here and shouldn't...”
 
“Heero. You and Duo are also friends and always welcome in my home. I'm actually honored that you both feel comfortable enough in my home and presence to share such affection.” Treize gave the rider a soft smile and then as if to prove a point, he turned to Zechs and kissed the blonde soundly.
 
Duo snickered at the fish out of water impression his lover was currently sporting, and then laughed as Treize broke the kiss to leave a stunned looking vet staring at him. With a shrug of his shoulders, Duo dove in and gave Heero a warm, tender kiss.
 
Relaxing comfortably back into the couch, Treize pulled his lover against him and snuggled close. “I have no problem with you sharing your affection and neither does Zechs.”
 
“Thanks, Treize. I guess you would know just how difficult it can be,” Duo said, the sincerity in his voice as he pulled Heero closer to him.
 
“Too true,” Treize muttered ruefully. “However, I do draw the line at making out.”
 
* * *
 
Peter's clear round had done a lot to boost the morale of the Aussie contingent, including those at home watching the action on the screen. After a short advert break, the broadcast resumed and along with it, the tension in the Kushrenada lounge room.
 
The last of the Kiwi riders was preparing to ride and all could see how determined this young rider was to do his country proud. According to Heero's calculations, the New Zealand team was in with a very strong chance of taking the cup.
 
“He had four faults in the first round,” Heero announced as they watched the Kiwi sail over the first five jumps.
 
“Let's hope he has eight in this one then,” Zechs replied.
 
“Zechs! That's not good sportsmanship at all,” Treize admonished.
 
Zechs shrugged. “Don't tell me you aren't all hoping he makes a mistake.”
 
“Well, maybe, but that's beside the point. One should still show good sportsmanship.”
 
Snickering, Duo joined in the conversation. “Maybe we should show the sportsmanship on the outside whilst hoping and praying on the inside that he does make faults.”
 
Treize shook his head and looked at Heero who gave him a look back that clearly said 'Don't blame me'. “Something tells me it would be a good idea to discontinue this conversation now.”
 
“Sounds like a good idea,” Heero nodded, “I don't think you have a hope in hell of winning this one.”
 
Treize had to agree and returned his attention to the screen.
 
The Kiwi had gone clear so far and was fast approaching the end of his round. With only three jumps remaining, Zechs was hoping the horse would make some form of mistake and incur penalties.
 
It didn't happen though and the New Zealand team had another clear round.
 
The English rider went next and had a rail down over part C of the triple, which gave him a total of four penalties. The South African rider did a good round, riding his horse with extreme skill, but the heights on some of the fences proved to be just a little too much for the horse and they finished with eight faults.
 
The French rider was the last to go and despite the raise in height and also width, his horse put in a tremendous effort and finished with a clear round to.
 
Now it was time to sit back and await the final results.
 
Heero was busy doing the math, pretty sure of which scores the team managers would be dropping and therefore having a good idea of the final placings. Duo did his best to peek over Heero's shoulder, but Heero was keeping everything under wraps and declined to offer anything in the way of finishing order just in case he was wrong.
 
Treize and Zechs had disappeared to the kitchen to make fresh coffee for all so Duo took advantage of the moment to distract Heero by worming his hands around the rider's waist and pulling him in close so he could feather kisses along that sweet neck.
 
Heero moaned softly, enjoying the attention and then turned so he could kiss his lover deeply. The kiss left them both panting and wanting more, but now was not the time or place.
 
“Promise me when we get home I can ravish your body,” Duo whispered into Heero's ear.
 
A soft groan came from Heero's throat. “I really hope you will. I feel like a little loving tonight.”
 
“Mmmm, good. I want to lick you all over, drive you insane with my tongue and then make slow, gentle love to you,” Duo purred.
 
“Ahhh,” Heero moaned again and wriggled a little in his seat. His pants were becoming very tight and uncomfortable. “Uh, as much as I'm appreciating this, I think we'd better stop now, Duo. Treize and Zechs will be back in a moment and I don't think either of us wants to be caught.”
 
“Good point.” Duo eased back, giving Heero some much needed room, but he made sure to rub his hand lightly over the bulge in Heero's jeans.
 
Treize and Zechs returned and if they noticed their guests were looking a little flushed, neither one commented. Coffees were passed around and the commentator was back on screen giving a spiel on all the countries that had competed as said countries were entering the arena for the presentation.
 
The Aussies all looked good in their cream jodhpurs and dark jackets, the saddle cloths bearing the Australian flag showing proudly on each horses back. Peter was carrying the flag, a huge grin on his face. All were relieved to see Jenny back in the saddle and riding next to Zoe.
 
“I'm glad she wasn't hurt,” Heero said as he watched the parade.
 
“Yeah, always a good ending to a fall if you can get back up and on again,” Duo agreed.
 
The teams all came to a halt and the commentator handed the commentary over to the head of the New Zealand Equestrian Federation. The man made a short, yet interesting speech, thanking all countries for attending and providing such a wonderful competition. With the final scores and placings now decided, he handed back over to the commentator and took his place with the President of the Nations Cup committee to award the rosettes.
 
The commentator began by reading out the results from last place. “In seventh place with a combined total of thirty-two penalties; Italy.” The crowd applauded, Heero checked his notebook, so far he was correct with his calculations.
 
“In sixth place with a combined total of twenty-eight faults; England.”
 
Zechs and Duo were both frowning, Zechs finally speaking up. “How come they're only calling from seventh place when there's nine teams?”
 
“There's a couple of teams tied for placings,” Heero replied absently.
 
“But, wouldn't that mean a jump off?” Duo questioned. He could remember when Heero had competed that Treize had ended up riding off against the German as both teams were tied on faults.
 
“Not unless it affects one of the top three placings,” Treize answered.
 
“Ah, okay.” Duo made a mental note to ask Heero a little more on that rule later.
 
“In fifth place, we have a tie. With a combined score of twenty-four penalties; Sweden and Germany.”
 
The crowd was once again cheering and applauding as the Swedish and German teams waved. Heero checked his scores again. So far he was right on track.
 
“In fourth place, again we have a tie. With a combined total of twenty penalties; South Africa and France.”
 
The two, fourth placed teams rode forward to receive their rosettes.
 
“That means we have to be in the top three,” Zechs announced with a big smile.
 
The fourth place getters all rode back to the line up and the commentator took over again.
 
“That brings us to the final three. In third place with a combined total of sixteen penalties; Australia.”
 
Cheers and applause rang out from the crowd and were echoed by the guys watching at home.
 
“Shit! You weren't kidding when you said it was going to be close, Heero,” Duo stated.
 
“The best competitions are always the ones that are close,” Heero replied.
 
They turned their attention back to the screen where the Aussies were receiving their third place rosettes. All looked happy and were smiling widely. With the rosettes on their horses' bridles, the team waved to the crowd and made their way back to their place in the line up.
 
“And now, in second place, with a combined total of twelve penalties; Japan.”
 
Heero couldn't help a small tug at his heartstrings. He was half Japanese and despite Australia being his home he was still proud of that part of his heritage.
 
The Japanese riders received their second place rosettes with a quiet, dignified grace, bowing as much as they could when mounted to the officials and then waving to the crowd.
 
“That leaves us with the first place getters and winners of the Nations Cup. With a combined total of eight penalties; New Zealand.”
 
The roar of the crowd was deafening as the host country's team rode forward to receive their accolades.
 
“They deserve the win,” Treize smiled. “They rode magnificently.”
 
“I have to agree. They were the best team on the day,” Heero nodded.
 
“Next time it will be the Aussies,” Duo foretold. “It's gotta be, third time lucky and all that.”
 
“Time will tell,” Treize replied.
 
With the competition and broadcast now finished, Heero and Duo bade farewell to their hosts and set off for home. Treize and Zechs waved them off before returning inside.
 
Once the door was closed, Treize swept Zechs into his arms and kissed him senseless. “I've been wanting to molest you all night,” he said huskily and slipped a hand between their hips to rub softly against Zechs' groin.
 
“Why don't we go through to the bedroom and you can molest me without my clothes on, it's much easier that way,” Zechs returned an evil twinkle in his blue eyes.
 
“Now that's an offer I can't refuse.”
 
* * *
 
Driving home, Duo gazed out the window at the dark landscape, Heero was concentrating on the road. “It was a good competition,” he said softly and turned to study his lover's profile instead.
 
“Hai, it was,” Heero replied.
 
“Any regrets about not making it?”
 
“Not really. Of course I would have loved to have been there representing my country, but after seeing the course, I have to agree with Noin; Shini isn't quite ready for it yet.”
 
“He's improving every day.” Duo shifted over a little and lay his hand on Heero's thigh. He felt the slight shiver of muscle underneath the denim and began to gently slide his hand up and down.
 
“He is improving and if he continues to do so then I think he's going to stand a really good chance of making the Olympic team.” Heero's breath held a slight tremor to it.
 
“I want to celebrate,” Duo whispered huskily into Heero's ear and shifted his hand to caress the growing hardness in Heero's jeans.
 
Heero moaned softly. “Not far to go.”
 
“Good, I don't think I can wait much longer.”
 
Heero increased the car's speed a little. After watching all the jumping, feeling the adrenaline course through his own system, he wanted to do a little 'riding' himself.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...
 
 
[1] Horses eyes are on the side of their head which gives them a much wider vision range that human's whose eyes are situated on the front of the head. For more information on a horses eyes and their vision visit here: http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/articles/horse-eyes.shtml
 
[2] Earmuffs. Yes, they do make these for horses and they're used to muffle the outside sounds (as well as protect the ears from flies and insects) and thus keep the horse focused on the job at hand. To see what they look like, visit here: http://www.equestrienne.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&product s_id=1404