Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 56 ( Chapter 56 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 56
 
The four men had found a quaint cafe not far from the hotel and enjoyed a well cooked, country meal. Sipping on their coffees, they decided to take a short walk around the village before they would need to get back to the hotel and get ready for the wedding.
 
Wandering down the shady streets, they found a few interesting stores and did a bit of window shopping. Most of the shops were old, wooden verandahs out the front and the shops themselves built from either stone or local timber. All had obviously been built in the pioneering days and their owners had kept them all that way, adding to the charm of the village.
 
“It's like being stuck in a time warp,” Heero commented as they entered the local sweet shop. Duo had spotted some interesting looking sweets in the window display and wanted to see what else the store had.
 
After making a few purchases, Duo and Heero rejoined their companions and with a glance at the time, decided they should make their way back to the hotel and get ready for the wedding. Arriving back at the hotel, they made their way to their respective rooms after arranging to meet back in the reception area and travel to the church in one car.
 
“Got room in there for me?” Heero asked, his voice husky as he slid the shower curtain back a little to expose a very wet and naked Duo to his sight.
 
“Always,” Duo replied. “Might be a bit of a squeeze though.”
 
Heero managed to slip into the stall, a little shuffling needed in order for them both to fit okay. Duo hadn't been joking when he said it would be tight. The shower stall wasn't exactly built to accommodate more than one person.
 
Reaching for the wash cloth, Heero soaped it up and began to wash himself, mindful of his elbows as they constantly pushed and poked against Duo. Duo couldn't help but snicker at their cramped conditions.
 
“Maybe you should wash me and then I'll do you,” Duo offered.
 
“Good idea,” Heero replied and proceeded to wash his lover.
 
Duo returned the favor a moment later.
 
By the time they had rinsed off, both men were more than a little flushed and panting slightly. As much as they both would have liked to finish what was starting to become a rather hot make out session, they agreed not to, mainly due to the time factor; plus they agreed it would be more fun to wait until later.
 
Returning to the main room, they dried off and began to get dressed.
 
* * *
 
“Here they are,” Treize announced and rose from the comfortable chair he was sitting in, in the reception area. Zechs left his perusal of the many pamphlets on the local places of interest to join his lover and greet the other two.
 
Duo gave a low whistle. “You scrub up all right,” he stated in a low voice as he took in Zechs' appearance.
 
“I might say the same about you,” Zechs returned with a warm smile. “Beats the hell out of old jeans and T-shirts.”
 
“Amen to that,” Duo replied.
 
Treize was wearing a dark gray suit with a pale blue shirt and slightly darker blue tie. The man looked like an aristocrat; not that Zechs didn't. The blonde vet was wearing a charcoal suit, cream shirt and blue tie.
 
Heero was wearing black slacks, dark blue shirt and black tie; his black jacket was over his arm. Duo also had on black slacks but wore a pale violet shirt and a striped tie of pale and slightly darker violet. He also carried a black jacket.
 
All four men looked simply stunning.
 
“Which car are we taking?” Zechs asked as they headed out to the car park area.
 
“Probably best to take mine,” Heero said. “Neither Duo nor I drink so either one of us can drive back, then you two can enjoy some wine and not have to worry about driving.”
 
“Are you sure?” Treize asked. “It doesn't seem fair that you can't have a drink because of driving.”
 
“It's fine, Treize. I really prefer not to drink alcohol so it's no problem at all.”
 
“Okay then. Thank you.”
 
“Have you got your wedding present?” Duo asked as they located Heero's car.
 
“It's in the trunk, I'll just go grab it,” Zechs said and disappeared to do just that.
 
Minutes later the four were driving down the winding road to the local church.
 
“What did you guys get for them?” Duo asked.
 
“We weren't sure what they needed so we bought a silver plated cutlery set,” Treize replied. “What about you two?”
 
“We didn't have a clue either and ended up asking Hilde what she would recommend. We ended up buying them a bedroom set; you know, sheets, pillow slips with a matching doona cover,” Duo replied.
 
“I'm sure they will love it.”
 
“Well, if they don't I still have the receipt for it so they can change it for something else,” Duo stated with a grin.
 
It only took a few minutes to reach the church, the building rising majestically from the surrounding bushland. Heero drove into the car parking area and the occupants all began to look out the windows in search of a parking spot. They managed to find one right at the end of the parking area and Heero quickly took it. They exited the car, each man checking his partner and smoothing out any wrinkles from slacks and shirts.
 
Heero and Duo both put their jackets on, Heero settling Duo's braid before walking towards the church entry. Soft strains of the organ could be heard and Heero automatically checked his watch.
 
“It's three-fifty,” he announced as they walked along the stone path, which was dotted with wildflowers on either side.
 
“I wonder if she will be traditionally late?” Zechs mused.
 
“If she is, then hopefully she won't be too late. I'm getting hungry again,” Duo grinned.
 
“Baka,” Heero said affectionately and gave the chestnut braid a gentle tug.
 
“I swear you must have hollow legs, Duo,” Treize snickered.
 
“I'm a growing boy,” Duo replied with a huge smile.
 
“Come on, let's find our seats,” Heero reminded his lover as they took the stone steps to the entrance of the church.
 
An usher was waiting for them and escorted them to their seats. All four took a look around at the seated guests, Treize and Heero spotted Noin amongst the guests and nodded to her; she nodded back and smiled. Duo gave her a small wave. Other than Noin, the only other people they recognized were a few of their fellow competitors from the showjumping world.
 
Sitting themselves down in their nominated pew, the four relaxed and took in the atmosphere around them. The church was built from stone, the blocks having come from the local quarry and cut and built by the convicts from the early days in the country's history. The large, jarrah beams stood out, curving across the ceiling and adding both strength and beauty to the church.
 
Stained glass windows adorned each side; again, painstakingly made by the convicts and early settlers to the region. It was truly a work of art and Duo had no doubts that the building would have some fascinating stories to tell if it could talk.
 
The organ music changed slightly and the vestry door opened to admit the priest followed by Michael and his brother Peter who was not only his former groom but now his best man. Michael looked a little nervous, but that was to be expected.
 
“He looks like he's going to his execution,” Duo muttered.
 
“He's marrying Zoe, need I say more?” Treize muttered back, eliciting a soft snort from Duo.
 
The organ music changed yet again to announce the arrival of the bride. With the strong chords pulsing from the organ, everyone turned and stood to watch the entry of the bride.
 
Walking in the church first came Carol, Zoe's sister. She was dressed in a simple red satin, three quarter length gown. With sleeves coming three quarters down her arms and a scooped neckline, the gown shimmered softly as she walked. Her hair was swept up and back, a spray of tiny, red rose buds entwined in the strands and she carried a bouquet of mixed red and pink roses.
 
Carol walked confidently down the aisle, her head held high and a smile on her lips.
 
“She looks good,” Heero whispered to Treize.
 
“Yes, she does. You wouldn't pick her as being a top groom,” Treize whispered back.
 
All eyes then switched to where Zoe was entering the church.
 
“She looks lovely,” Heero commented to his partner and Duo had to agree. Zoe's dress was also a simple design, made from white satin it had a sweetheart neckline, long sleeves and gathered at the waist before falling in a full skirt to the ground. The satin of the skirt was covered with a light layer of lace, which added to the elegance of the dress. Her hair was also pulled back, partially placed in a bun with the remaining hair cascading down to her shoulders. She wore a simple tiara adorned with tiny, red rose buds, which the veil was fixed to. In her hands she carried a bouquet of deep, red roses sprinkled with a few white ones.
 
Passing by where Heero, Duo and the other two men were standing, Zoe flashed them a soft smile and winked. Her attention then fixed itself on Michael and the waiting priest.
 
The ceremony itself wasn't long, combining the traditional with a touch of the modern. The vows were exchanged, rings given and received and before long the priest was addressing the guests.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, please stand.”
 
Everyone did and waited expectantly.
 
“I present to you, Mr and Mrs Michael Rundell.”
 
The organ struck up again and the happy couple made their way along the aisle and out the front of the church. The gathered guests clapped as they passed by and then all began to file out after the couple.
 
Heero Duo, Treize and Zechs were amongst the first of the guests to exit the church and heard Zoe's exclamation of surprise. Immediately they all looked to where the bride and groom's attention was now fixed.
 
At the base of the steps and slightly to the side stood Periwinkle, a groom none of the guys recognized holding the mare. Periwinkle stood with a white rug on, gold tassels hanging from the edges. On her bridle, three, white rosettes hung with gold lettering, matching the lettering on the rug. It simply stated the date, name of the church and the names of the bride and groom.
 
“Now that's what I call a pleasant surprise,” Treize stated with a smile.
 
“I think it's sweet,” Duo sighed, a dreamy look in his eye.
 
Zoe and Michael had moved down the steps and across to pet the mare, Zoe clearly overwhelmed at having her beloved mare at the church. Once the shock had worn off, the couple were surrounded by their guests, all passing on their congratulations to the happy couple.
 
Treize, Heero, Duo and Zechs all managed to work their way through the crowd and pass on their congratulations. They would have like to chat for a bit longer, but with the photographer dropping subtle hints, they elected to wait until the reception to catch up with the happy couple properly.
 
The bride and groom were whisked away to have their photos taken, leaving the rest of their guests to make their way to the country club where the reception was being held. The four guys all piled into Heero's car and drove the short distance to the club.
 
* * *
 
“This is nice,” Duo stated as they entered the foyer part of the country club where the reception was being held.
 
“Very nice,” Zechs agreed and then turned as a passing waiter paused by the group with his tray and offered them a drink.
 
Both Treize and Zechs took a glass of red wine, Heero opted for an orange juice whilst Duo took a lemonade. Not usually partaking of alcoholic beverages, both Heero and Duo had decided to limit their intake, obviously they would indulge for the toast and have a glass of wine with their meal, but other than that they preferred to stick with the sodas or juice.
 
With their glasses in hand, they strolled around the foyer, taking in the many pictures on the walls and soaking up the atmosphere.
 
As seemed to be the tradition in these parts, the country club was built from local timber, giving it a rustic feel. It blended in well with the surrounding, native bushland and even the design of the golf course out the back complimented and enhanced the overall 'feel' of the place.
 
The rest of the guests were steadily making their way inside, accepting the pre-dinner drinks and chatting comfortably amongst themselves. Whilst Heero, Duo and the other two didn't really know anyone else in attendance, it didn't bother them as they chatted amongst themselves.
 
The waiter returned, this time with a platter of assorted appetizers for them to select from. Each man was hungry and picked a couple of the treats each from those offered. Munching quietly and still sipping their drinks, conversation halted momentarily.
 
Heero glanced at his watch. “They should be arriving shortly,” he said. “It's almost six.”
 
The drinks waiter came around again and collected any empty glasses, letting the guests know they would be moving into the reception area in a moment and drinks would be available at their tables. A seating plan had been posted just outside the entrance and many of the guests were already taking a look to see where they were seated.
 
Treize volunteered to take a look and see where they had been seated, but the rest of the group decided it would probably be better to wait until most of the guests had moved inside. That way they could get a clear view of the seating plan and also, once they entered the reception area it wouldn't be as hard to locate their table as most of the other guests would already be taking their places.
 
The doors opened and the guests began to file in. As the crowd thinned the four made their way to the floor plan and were pleased to see they had been seated together on table five. Checking the plan one last time, they entered and easily located their table.
 
Once they were seated, a waiter appeared and placed a bottle of wine on their table, offering sodas and juice as an alternative to the alcohol for anyone that wanted it. The table seated eight and the other guests consisted of Noin and three others that were also from the 'showjumping world'.
 
Before any of them could do any form of introductions, the emcee took the microphone and called for everyone's attention.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, please be upstanding and welcome the bride and groom.”
 
Peter, the best man and Carol entered first, smiling happily and striding over to the bridal table. They were soon followed by Zoe and Michael, the happy couple smiling broadly as their guests all applauded. Once the bride and groom were seated, the guests all took their seats and began to chat amongst themselves.
 
The tables seated eight; four down each side. Duo sat at the top with Heero next to him. Opposite Duo sat Zechs with Treize on his left. Noin was next to Treize and then another showjumping person took the last seat on their side of the table. The other two riders occupied the remaining two seats down from Heero.
 
The waiter allocated to their table appeared and asked to take their meal order. All guests scrambling to read the menu sitting in front of them.
 
The menu was cleverly designed, offering a choice of three different items for each of the three courses. For the entree there was a choice of soup, garlic prawns or a chicken and mushroom vol-u-vent. The main course consisted of fish, chicken or steak and the desserts offered a mouthwatering selection of mini pavlova, cheesecake or chocolate pudding.
 
Heero and Duo both chose the garlic prawns to start with, then Heero had the steak whilst Duo elected to try the chicken. For dessert Heero opted for cheesecake whilst Duo couldn't resist the pavlova.
 
Once all the orders were taken, the group began to introduce themselves and chat about various things. Noin was keen to catch up with Heero again and hear how Shinigami was coming along; Heero only too happy to bring her up to date with the young stallion's progress.
 
The entrees arrived and everyone began to eat, still talking between mouthfuls. Once the entrees had been cleared away many of the guests began to mingle a little. There was a DJ in one corner of the dance floor and he played soft, background music, allowing conversation to take place. There would be time enough after the meals for the really upbeat music to be played and people to be encouraged to 'strut their stuff' on the dance floor.
 
The main meals were served, Duo enjoying the chicken, which was moist and stuffed with a concoction of cheese and a special sauce that made it even more delicious. Heero's steak was cooked to perfection literally melted in his mouth. The vegetables that came with the meal were steamed and not only retained a lovely color, but were crisp and fresh too.
 
Zechs and Noin had both selected the fish and were thoroughly enjoying the dish. The fish was served with a white wine sauce, which complimented it perfectly. Once the main meal was finished and the dishes cleared away, Zoe made her way over to their table and sat down for a short chat.
 
“You look lovely, Zoe,” Duo complimented the woman.
 
“Thank you, Duo.” She turned to the rest of her friends. “Thank you all for coming, I hope you're enjoying yourselves.”
 
“The service was lovely. I liked the way you tied in the traditional with the modern,” Treize said.
 
“I wasn't sure if it would work,” Zoe chuckled. “It did go down okay though.”
 
“That it did,” Treize replied and then remembering his partner, he turned to Zechs, then back to Zoe. “Zoe, I'm not sure if you remember Doctor Zechs Merquise?”
 
Zechs reached forward to take Zoe's hand, but instead of shaking it, he raised it to his lips and pressed a kiss to the back of it. “It's wonderful to see you again, and especially under such happy circumstances. Thank you for allowing me to share in your special day.”
 
Zoe blushed and giggled. “It's nice to see you again too, Doctor Merquise. I'm so pleased you could make it.”
 
Duo was almost choking trying to hold his snickers at the formal way in which Zechs was treating the woman. It seemed Treize was a little stunned by the display too. Heero simply looked amused and Noin appeared to be dreaming as she stared at Zechs.
 
Duo nudged Heero in the ribs and discreetly nodded in Noin's direction. Heero took a quick glance at the E.F.A. coach and snickered softly.
 
“If she's dreaming what I think she's dreaming, she hasn't a hope in hell,” he whispered to Duo who promptly fell into another snickering fit and managed to convert it to a coughing fit when everyone turned to look at him.
 
“Who's idea was it to have Periwinkle at the church?” Heero asked in an effort to divert the attention away from Duo. “I thought it was a wonderful idea.”
 
Zoe smiled, talk of her beloved mare being one of Zoe's favorite topics. “It was Carol's idea, so I discovered afterwards. She thought it would be a nice touch to have her there after the ceremony to share in our big day. She's kind of special, part of the family I guess you could say, so it seemed to Carol that she shouldn't miss out. And you guys saw for yourselves the end result.”
 
“She was perfectly behaved,” Treize said. “It seems fitting that after all the big days you and that mare have shared that she should be there for the one really big day.”
 
“Yes, she was,” Zoe replied. “And it was lovely to have her there.”
 
“Where on earth did Carol get the rugs and rosettes made?” Noin asked.
 
“I have no idea, but it was a nice touch.”
 
“I agree,” Noin replied.
 
Michael appeared at their table and after exchanging greetings and a few words with the group, he announced he'd come to steal Zoe away as it was time for the desserts to be brought out and the speeches to be made. Zoe thanked them all again for coming and left with her new husband to return to the bridal table, promising to speak with them all again before the end of the reception.
 
Dessert was served and whilst everyone was enjoying the sweet treats, the wait staff came around with champagne, placing a glass before each guest in readiness for the toasts and speeches.
 
The speeches got underway and included the usual telling of funny stories about the newlyweds in their younger days. Zoe learnt a little more about her new husband's wayward youth, in particular a certain incident when Michael had ridden a friend's horse, naked, down the main street of the town he lived in - all for a bet and ended up being arrested. It cost him more for the bail and court fees than the original bet had been worth.
 
A toast to the bride and groom was announced and everyone raised their glasses. Both Heero and Duo shared in the toast, only sipping at the champagne though. To be honest, aside from the fact that both men rarely drank, neither was all that keen on champagne.
 
Michael stood up to respond to the toast and thanked everyone for coming and sharing in their special day. He also took a moment to thank the Olympic selection committee, without whom he would never have been selected and therefore, never met Zoe. Zoe was looking touched and about ready to burst into tears. Luckily, Michael concluded his speech and quickly kissed his new wife.
 
With the speeches finally over, the wedding cake was brought out and the couple got up to cut it. Cheers rang out as they sliced into the two tiered masterpiece. Duo couldn't help but laugh when he spotted to adornment on the top of the cake. Usually a couple had the bride and groom on the top tier; but not Michael and Zoe.
 
They had the bride and groom alright.
 
But they were both mounted on horses that looked very much like Periwinkle and Crackerjack.
 
With the majority of the formalities of the evening over and done with, the DJ sprang to life and called for the happy couple to make their way to the dance floor. They did and began a slow dance together. Soon they were joined by Peter and Carol, then many of the guests also joined in.
 
Duo looked longingly at the dance floor. He loved to dance - but only with Heero; and somehow he didn't think it would go down too well if he and Heero were to take the floor together.
 
Treize seemed to be lost in the music too, Duo sensing the taller man was probably also wishing he could dance with his lover. Zechs didn't seem to be too worried, watching the couples as they swayed to the music seeming to be more his style. Noin also appeared to be occupied in watching the couples dance, but Duo could see a longing in her eyes. From time to time she shot a quick, discreet glance at Zechs. Duo did his best to keep the amused smirk off his face as he watched.
 
The music changed and another slow dance was played, many of the couples continued to sway, some changed partners and others took their seats to catch their breath. Noin seemed to come to a conclusion in her mind and leaned across the table a little to address Zechs.
 
“Would you care to dance?” she asked.
 
Zechs took a moment before realizing the woman was talking to him and then he blinked in surprise. “Pardon?”
 
“I asked if you would care to dance,” Noin repeated.
 
Zechs took on the classic appearance of a deer caught in the headlights and Duo was doing his best to control his snickers. Even Heero was smirking, although he managed to hide it behind his glass of soda. Treize, however, was doing his best to control the urge to snatch his boyfriend away and kiss him senseless, thus staking his claim as 'mine'!
 
Finally finding his voice, Zechs laid on the charm whilst subtly extracting himself from the situation. “Ah, I'm flattered you would ask but I'm afraid I will have to take a rain check.”
 
“Oh.”
 
“I'm sorry, it's not that I don't want to dance with you, but I had a bit of an altercation with a horse I was treating earlier today and I'm afraid my movement is rather limited.”
 
“Nothing serious I hope?” Noin questioned, the female, mother hen streak coming out.
 
“No, no. Just a bit of a cow kick that I didn't avoid quick enough. It's just bruising but I'm afraid I've stiffened up a bit and walking is enough of a trial.” Zechs applied the charm thickly.
 
“I wish you a speedy recovery then,” Noin said, the concern and sincerity evident in her voice.
 
“Thank you. Maybe some other time,” Zechs replied.
 
Noin turned her attention back to the dance floor and contented herself with watching the couples.
 
“There had better not be another time,” Treize growled under his breath and moved as close to Zechs as he dared without revealing the true nature of their relationship. Reaching under the table he gave the vet's knee a squeeze. “Mine,” he muttered.
 
“Possessive bastard, aren't you?” Zechs stated, but there was affection in the tone.
 
“I don't like sharing,” Treize stated simply.
 
“I hope she doesn't ask you to dance, Heero,' Duo whispered.
 
“No chance,” Heero muttered back. “She seems totally smitten with Zechs. Don't know why,” he added with a smirk.
 
Duo almost choked. The thought of anyone not seeing Zechs as totally hot would need to be blind! “Must be the hair,” he managed to get out.
 
“I can understand that,” Heero replied and ran his hand down the length of Duo's braid causing the chestnut haired vet to shiver.
 
* * *
 
The dancing continued as did the socializing. Zoe and Michael managed to make their way around all their guests and speak with them. Duo got to dance with Zoe and Noin got her dance too, although it was with Michael.
 
Heero and Treize went back out to the car and collected the wedding presents from the trunk, placing them with the other gifts people were bringing in on a large table set aside for that purpose.
 
Time was getting on, people were starting to slow in their dancing, tea and coffee was served along with slices of wedding cake and the emcee made the announcement that the bride and groom were about to leave. All the guests made their way to the dance floor and following the emcee's instructions, formed two lines facing each other. Zoe and Michael started at the top and made their way down the line of guests, thanking each one for coming.
 
Heero and Duo offered their congratulations again and both men received a peck to the cheek from Zoe. Michael shook hands.
 
Once the couple reached the end of the line, they waved to everyone and stepped inside Michael's car to head off to wherever it was they were spending their wedding night. All the guests followed them out and stood waving as the car disappeared down the driveway. With the bride and groom having departed, most of the other guests began to leave too.
 
“Man, I'm bushed,” Duo said as he stretched and tried to cover the yawn.
 
“I'm rather tired myself,” Treize said.
 
“If everyone is ready, I'd suggest we head back to the hotel,” Heero stated.
 
“Good idea,” replied Duo and grabbed his jacket.
 
The four began to make their way out when Duo suddenly poked Zechs in the ribs. “Aren't you forgetting something?”
 
“Eh?” Zechs asked, completely mystified.
 
“Noin's watching and I thought you had an injury.”
 
“Shit!” Zechs continued to walk out of the country club, adding a slight limp to his gait.
 
Duo couldn't help but snicker.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...