Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 57 ( Chapter 57 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
Note: Fred (the muse) finally got over his hissy fit and cleared the obstacle that was in our way. Unfortunately, we ran out of Fred's fav food; Top Deck Choccy and he's shown his displeasure by throwing me a complete curve ball - one on which we argued for ages; but he won.

Please don't hurt me for this chapter. *grovels now*

Warning: Major angst towards the end of this chapter. I recommend having a box of kleenex handy.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 57
 
It had been a couple of months since the wedding of Zoe and Michael, the showjumping circuit had drawn to a close and Heero had turned out Shinigami for a short spell to relax. The break would do the youngster good and free Heero up to attend to other things he'd not had the time to do. Young Wing had been successfully weaned from Angel and with his halter breaking finally being finished, the young colt had accepted his new life and adjusted well.
 
Heero tried to spend as much time as possible with the colt, handling him daily and doing simple things such as brushing him down, picking up his feet and generally getting the colt used to all manner of things. Wing was an intelligent horse and easy to teach, making Heero's job so much easier.
 
Angel and Scythe were firm friends, both mares enjoying each other's company and spending their days grazing in the paddock. Heero had debated whether or not to break Angel in. He'd purchased the mare specifically for breeding, but it seemed silly to have a horse eating its head off and only producing a foal every second year, especially when there was no good reason for her not to be broken to saddle.
 
With Scythe's age advancing, Duo had recommended that Heero retire the mare completely and Heero had agreed; the black mare now spent all her time lazing around the property - not that either man minded. It did mean though that Duo now had nothing to ride as Zero was unable to be ridden and Duo wasn't skilled enough to ride Shinigami. Heero missed their rides together in the bush and even if Duo had been capable of handling Shini, that would have left Heero with nothing to ride.
 
Heero decided to break Angel in.
 
The mare was sweet natured and had been handled well from birth. Given her trust in the humans that looked after her it hadn't taken much for Heero to break her in. She readily accepted the saddle, bridle and weight of her master upon her back, seemingly proud to carry the human that cared for her. Heero schooled her quietly, not bothering with too much of the advanced education, sticking to the basics and making sure the mare understood all the aids and was a calm, safe ride.
 
The first time Duo had ridden her he'd been on tenterhooks, unsure if he would be able to control her properly. Heero had convinced him he would do just fine and Duo had trusted in his lover. That first ride turned out to be a complete success. Angel was careful, eager to please and attentive to Duo's aids. To Duo it was like riding Scythe again, only Angel was better conformed and so it was a much smoother ride. Like driving a Rolls Royce, Duo had commented.
 
As Duo's confidence in riding the mare grew, so Heero managed to talk his boyfriend into accompanying him out into the bush for a ride. Duo had been hesitant at first, but seeing the pleading look in his lover's eyes he'd been unable to resist and reluctantly agreed. The ride had gone well and both men returned feeling a lot happier and light hearted.
 
After that first, tentative ride out, both men made it a regular event. Each weekend they would saddle up the horses and go for a bush ride. It not only helped to breakup the schooling for Shinigami and the boredom of the paddock for Angel, but also gave the guys the chance to relax and unwind - especially Duo as his job could be very stressful at times.
 
The new season was starting and Heero was busy getting not only Shinigami fit, but Altron and Virgo for Treize. The ginger haired man had his hands full with working Romeo and now had the next season's crop of horses in his stable to sort through and determine which showed potential and would therefore remain and be schooled, and which wouldn't make the grade.
 
Treize enlisted the help of Heero in working with the new youngsters. There were eight in total and Treize needed to reduce that number down to five. Treize had a couple of people interested in purchasing Altron, but he'd decided to wait in selling the big horse until after the first half a dozen shows. Altron had finished the season off in B grade and only needed a couple more wins to make A grade; Treize wanted to see how the horse would cope with the higher fences before finalizing a sale.
 
Virgo was competing well in C grade and should advance to B by the end of the new season. There had been a fair amount of interest in the mare and Treize was seriously considering a couple of offers on her too. If both horses went it would mean Treize needed to find replacements for Heero to ride.
 
Heero had watched the new youngsters being lunged by Otto and some of the stable hands, he'd also had the opportunity, along with Treize to see the animals under saddle and had a rough idea of which three he would recommend Treize get rid of. Both men had worked each of the new horses that day and now it was crunch time.
 
“What do you think, Heero?” Treize asked as they sat across the table from each other in the small 'staff room' adjoining the stables.
 
Heero took a sip of his coffee and thought for a brief moment before replying. “I'd let the chestnut mare, bay mare and the bay stallion go,” he replied. “Whilst they're nice enough animals in themselves, I don't think they have what it takes to be a good, top horse.”
 
Treize thought on that for a moment. “I agree with the bay stallion and mare, but I'd like to know why you picked the chestnut mare. I thought the brown gelding rather than the mare.”
 
The pair discussed the reasons for and against keeping the two animals, Heero citing his reasons why he thought the chestnut mare wouldn't make the grade and the gelding would, whilst Treize put forth his own arguments to the opposite. Heero had to concede that Treize raised some valid points and in the end they agreed that the chestnut mare would stay and the brown gelding would go.
 
Having made that decision, it now came down to which horses Heero would take on. Although he would still work mainly on Altron and Virgo, the two new ones would require basic work and Heero would be more than capable of doing that with them. Usually Treize made the decision and simply presented Heero with the horses he would be schooling, but this time Treize wanted to do something different. He decided to let Heero choose which two he would like to bring on. This would give Treize a good, clear indication of how well Heero was progressing in his understanding of what made a good show jumper.
 
“Which two out of the remaining five would you like to take on and educate, Heero?”
 
Heero blinked and looked at his boss. That was something he hadn't expected. “You want me to pick out my own two to school?”
 
“I believe that's what I said,” Treize replied, his tone one of amusement.
 
“Aa.” Heero had to think hard on that. This would be a real test of his skills as a rider. He cast his mind back over the horses he'd ridden, remembering each one and how it had worked for him, any talents it had shown and weighed it all up in his mind. After a few minutes he came to his decision. “I'd like to try the black gelding and the chestnut stallion - the one with the two socks and star.”
 
“I see. Good choice,” Treize replied.
 
“When do you want me to start with them?”
 
“In a couple of weeks. Basic ground work as usual to start with then we can introduce the grids and small jumps.”
 
“Fine.”
 
* * *
 
Duo hummed softly to himself as he finished wiping down the consulting room table. Putting the cloth and spray bottle of disinfectant back on the sink, he gave one last look around to double-check all was neat and tidy before leaving. Walking back into the reception area he noted Catherine had already left and the pile of mail sat on the desk for him. Picking it up, he walked back out of the surgery and locked the door.
 
Within moments he was back at the house and letting himself into the kitchen. He dropped the mail to the table and went through to the laundry, lifting the lid to Gertrude and removing the finished washing he'd left earlier. Dumping another load in, he took the washed clothes to the line and began to peg them out.
 
Chore done, he returned inside to make a sandwich for lunch and check the mail. Sitting with half his sandwich on a plate and the other half in his hand, Duo began to sort through the mail and put it into various piles. There were several for the practice which Duo began to open and read as he ate.
 
Some were payments of accounts which he put to one side for Heero to deal with, there were a couple of flyers for new equipment, a sample of a new antibiotic and the latest vet science magazine. Duo was so engrossed in his magazine that he forgot about the rest of the mail.
 
Heero finished up work early and came home to find his lover still immersed in the magazine.
 
“Must be interesting,” Heero chuckled as he planted a kiss to Duo's crown.
 
“Shit!” Duo exclaimed. “I didn't hear you come home.”
 
“Obviously.” Heero smirked and sat next to his partner.
 
“Damn, I didn't realize the time. I should start to get dinner on the go and... What?”
 
“Duo, no need to rush, it's only two.”
 
“Eh?”
 
“Treize let me finish early.”“Ah. Okay then.” Duo dropped his magazine to the table and turned to partake of a much better kiss - one involving lots of tongue.
 
“Mmmm... Nice,” Heero murmured when he could finally draw breath. “Any mail for me?”
 
“Yeah. I haven't finished sorting through it all yet,” Duo replied a little sheepishly.
 
Heero reached over to the small pile of remaining mail and sifted through, putting to one side his mail and leaving the rest for Duo. Picking up one envelope, he gave a sharp intake of breath.
 
It had the E.F.A. logo on it.
 
Quickly, he tore the envelope open and pulled out the letter from inside.
 
Duo picked up on the drawn breath and cocked an eyebrow in Heero's direction. He waited patiently whilst Heero read the letter. Once finished, his partner seemed to stare off into space for a bit until Duo gave a cough.
 
“Interesting news?” Duo asked, knowing if Heero wanted to share, he would, otherwise Duo would respect Heero's privacy.
 
“Yeah. It's from the E.F.A.”
 
“Oh?”
 
“It's a list and dates of all the major shows that the Olympic selection committee will be attending and all the Olympic qualifying shows.” A broad grin lit up Heero's face.
 
“Heero, that's great!” Duo enthused.
 
“Now I can plan ahead for all the shows I need to take Shini to. I can start off with the smaller ones and build up to the major shows. According to this list, the qualifying events start around mid season with the selection committee attending about a dozen of them.”
 
“Guess we will need to get out the diaries, calendar and pen and paper this evening then to map this lot out,” Duo said with a grin. He was truly happy for his partner.
 
“I'm going to call Treize and see if he's had his notification in the mail yet. He will also have a good idea of which events to start the season off with to slowly bring Shini to his peak for when the selectors will be out and about.” Heero grabbed the letter and walked off to the lounge room to make his call; Duo watched him go, the smile never leaving his face.
 
* * *
 
The shows were soon planned out for Shinigami, Heero making sure to stagger them a bit so the stallion wouldn't reach his peak too early; or go the opposite way and sour off with his jumping. As Heero had originally planned, he would start out with some of the smaller shows and build up to the bigger ones. He'd incorporated all the major, qualifying events into the schedule along with the events the selectors would be attending.
 
Now all he had to do was get Shini fit and do his best to finish in the top three at as many shows as he could and with a few faults as possible.
 
Treize had also received his notification and had similarly planned out shows for Romefeller. Quite a few of the smaller shows also had classes suitable for Altron, Virgo and another of the youngsters Treize was working with.
 
Each day, Heero would return from Treize's and work Shini. Some days they would jump, other days Heero would concentrate on working on the flat; each week they went for a bush ride, usually with Duo on Angel.
 
Returning from a most enjoyable bush ride with Duo one Saturday afternoon, Heero's world was turned on its axis.
 
They entered the driveway, both horses stretching out and walking with long strides, the sun warm on their backs and thoughts of dinner in everyone's head. Dismounting just outside the stable block, the pair led their horses inside and tied them up, unsaddling and brushing the dried sweat from coats.
 
Heero was first to finish and went ahead to put all the feeds in the stables. With Shini rugged up, Heero led the young stallion into his stable and let him go, bolting the door behind him. “I'll go bring in Wing and Zero, then fetch Scythe,” Heero announced.
 
“Okay. I'll finish up with Angel then come and give you a hand,” Duo replied.
 
“Thanks.” Heero disappeared in the direction of the paddocks to start bringing the horses in.
 
Duo did up the last strap on Angel's rug, then led the mare into her stable and her waiting dinner. With the door secured, he hung the lead rope up and made his way out to the paddocks to help Heero.
 
“Want me to take Wing?” Duo asked as he met Heero who was halfway back to the stables, Zero on one side and Wing on the other.
 
“If you don't mind.” Heero handed over the lead rope.
 
Wing was quite happy to walk alongside Duo, keeping his pace to that of the nice human. Whilst Wing and Shinigami shared the same father, they were both completely different horses in their nature. Wing was calm, eager to please and accepted most things in his stride. Shinigami was also an apt pupil and generally calm, but he had a mischievous streak in him. Nothing mean or vicious, but a playfulness that could and usually did, end up getting him into trouble.
 
With both the colt and stallion in their stables and eating their dinner, Heero went back out to the paddock to fetch Scythe, leaving Duo to rug the pair up for the night.
 
Duo was doing up the last leg strap on Wing's rug when Heero came charging back into the stable block.
 
“DUO?! DUO?! Oh shit, DUO!!”
 
Hearing the panic in Heero's voice as he yelled for him, Duo quickly clipped the leg strap in place and moved to the stable door to call back without scaring Wing. “In here, Heero. What the hell...?”
 
“Duo, please, come quick. There's something wrong with Scythe.”
 
Taking one look at Heero's wild expression and pale complexion, Duo knew it was something serious. “I'm coming.”
 
Heero took off out the stables at a run, Duo right with him.
 
“What is it, Heero? What's wrong with Scythe?” Duo panted out as he sprinted hard to keep up with his partner.
 
“I'm not sure, she doesn't look right.”
 
Now that didn't make a whole lot of sense to Duo, but he shut up and opted to save his breath for running.
 
Reaching Scythe's paddock, Heero slowed to a jog and then stopped to open the gate. Duo looked across to where Scythe stood under the tree. That in itself was unusual, the mare was normally at the paddock gate waiting to be brought in for her dinner. Duo's heart plummeted to his feet.
 
Once they were through the gate, they jogged slowly towards the mare, then slowed to a fast walk so not to startle her.
 
“Steady, Scythe,” Heero murmured in his quiet tone. He pulled the lead rope from his pocket and clipped it to the halter. Scythe didn't move.
 
Duo's mind was whirling with many different reasons for the mare's current condition. As Heero had said, she didn't look right. His eyes traveled all over the mare searching for any signs of injury. There were none. Scythe stood quietly, seemingly not interested in anything at all that was going on around her.
 
Duo ran his hands all over the mare and could find nothing to explain why she seemed so lethargic and disinterested in her surroundings. “Let's see if we can get her into the stable, Heero. I can check her over more thoroughly there.”
 
Heero nodded. “Any idea what could be wrong?”
 
“No. There's no obvious outward sign of injury, but I've got several theories running in my head, although I'll need to have her back in the stables to examine her and eliminate or confirm them.”
 
“Okay.” Heero's voice held a catch to it as he spoke. Turning to the mare, he urged her gently to walk.
 
Scythe turned her head and gave into the soft tug on the halter. She began to walk slowly towards the paddock gate. Heero didn't hurry her, simply let the mare shuffle along at her own pace. Duo watched intently, studying the mare's gait from the side, front and back, looking for anything to give him a clue as to the problem.
 
They made it back to the stables and Heero took Scythe into hers. She walked over to her feed bin and sniffed at it. She took a bite of the food, then removed her muzzle from inside, chewing slowly.
 
That really had Duo worried. Scythe always aimed for her feed bin and never took her muzzle out until all the food was gone.
 
“You don't think it could be colic again?” Heero asked, his voice almost a whisper.
 
“It's possible,” Duo replied, “Although I don't think so.”
 
The mare being off her food also had Heero worried.
 
“I'm just gonna grab some of my stuff, Heero.” Duo left the stable to fetch his stethoscope and other items.
 
Standing beside the mare and gently pulling on her ears, Heero offered Scythe a sugar cube.
 
Scythe lipped at the sugar but didn't take it. She seemed totally preoccupied with something internal, something only she could feel.
 
“It's going to be okay, girl. Duo will be back in a minute and find out what's wrong with you, then he can make you feel much better,” Heero said as he continued to pet the mare.
 
Duo returned with a few items in hand and quickly set to work. “Just stay at her head, Heero and talk to her. I don't think she's likely to move around much and I'm not going to be doing anything that will cause her any discomfort, but I'd prefer it if you would reassure her as much as you can.”
 
“Will do.” Heero continued to pet Scythe, murmuring softly to her as Duo began his examination.
 
Duo pulled out the thermometer and inserted it into Scythe's rear end, clipping it to the hairs on her tail so he wouldn't lose it. Whilst he waited for the temperature to register he took the mare's pulse and breathing rate, scribbling them down on a piece of paper. Removing the thermometer he noted the temperature and then took his stethoscope to listen to her heart. Moving the instrument over her chest and then abdomen, Duo frowned.
 
Pulling the stethoscope from his ears and putting it back around his neck, Duo began to run his hands over the mare, starting at her chest and passing over her legs before moving to her belly and running skilled fingers over the flesh. Finally he moved to her head and pulled the sides of her lips up to check her mouth and then did the same with her eyelids.
 
All the while Duo was carrying out his examination, Heero waited patiently, still soothing Scythe but watching his partner closely for any signs of what might be troubling the mare.
 
One by one, Duo was eliminating possible problems until he was left with only one diagnosis; one he really had hoped wasn't the case. With a loud sigh, Duo turned to face his lover and deliver the news.
 
Heero looked into his partner's violet eyes and knew it wasn't good. There was sadness residing there, along with what seemed to be helplessness. “What's wrong with her, Duo?” Heero asked, his voice a whisper.
 
Knowing he had to give Heero the truth, Duo swallowed hard, trying to get the lump in his throat to move. “Heero, there's no easy way to say this. I'm pretty sure Scythe has suffered a heart attack.”
 
“What?”
 
Duo ran his hand through his bangs. “A heart attack, Heero.”
 
“Are you sure?” Heero was finding it really difficult to take the news in.
 
“Yes. Her temperature is up, her heart and breathing rates are elevated too. When I listened to her heart it's not pumping in the normal way, it sounds like the blood is leaking back into the heart.” Duo moved to lift the side of Scythe's lips again and expose the mare's gums.
 
“Look here, Heero. The gums and lips are normally a healthy, salmon pink color and when you press against them, the area turns white for a second then back to pink. In Scythe's case, her gums are very pale and when I press against them,” Duo pressed his finger against the gum then removed it, “see how it remains white for a considerable few seconds?”
 
“Hai.” Heero could feel his concern growing by the minute.
 
“I'd like to do a couple of blood tests to confirm my diagnosis if that's okay with you?”
 
“It's okay.” Heero was still trying to come to terms with what Duo was telling him.
 
Noting his partner was in a sort of shocked state, Duo gently squeezed Heero's arm. “I'll do the test now.”
 
“Thank you.”
 
Duo fetched a needle and syringe, quickly taking his blood sample and disappeared into the small dispensary to perform the tests. Moments later he was back; and the news was not good.
 
“What did the tests show?” Heero asked. He'd not moved from Scythe's head, still petting the mare and keeping her comfortable.
 
“The chemical test shows enzymes in the blood, translated into English, that means there is some muscle and tissue damage due to the internal organs and heart itself not getting enough blood supply. I also did a blood gas test and that shows a low level of oxygen and high level of carbon dioxide.”
 
“Which means?”
 
“Her blood isn't getting to the lungs properly. All blood tests show cardiac failure. Heero, I'm sorry.”
 
“But, you must be able to treat it? They can treat humans with drugs and stuff when they have heart failure, why not a horse?”
 
“That's true, there are drugs available, but there's only a certain amount we can do with drugs. Heero, we need to ask and answer some serious questions here.”
 
Heero had a pretty good idea of what Duo was going to be saying; and he didn't want to hear it. “Duo, please don't tell me what I think you're going to tell me.”
 
Letting go a heavy sigh, Duo rested his hand on Heero's shoulder. “Come outside and leave her in peace for a moment. We really need to talk about the options here.”
 
Nodding mutely, Heero unclipped the lead rope and exited the stable. He allowed Duo to steer him into the dispensary and took a seat, Duo stood opposite him, leaning against the bench top.
 
“I'll keep it as simple as I can, Heero,” Duo began. “From the blood tests and listening to Scythe's heart, I think it's safe to say she's definitely had a mild heart attack. Her heart isn't as strong as it used to be and she's now going into cardiac failure. I can treat it with drugs, but they aren't going to do a whole lot given her age. I'm sorry to put this bluntly, Heero, but you really need to consider Scythe here, the quality of life she will have whilst on the drugs; that's if the drugs have any effect at all. In a younger horse the drugs are usually quite successful and the horse carries on for several years, however, Scythe isn't young, she's in her twilight years. Do you really want to put her through several treatments that may not have any effect?”
 
The lump that had been building in Heero's throat had grown, his stomach felt like it was in his boots and his own heart was torn in two.
 
“I love her too, Heero.”
 
The words were whispered so softly that Heero almost missed them. He raised his cobalt eyes to meet with the violet of his partner and saw the pain and sadness residing there. “I know,” he whispered back and stood up. He walked across to where Duo was standing and wrapped his arms around his lover, burying his head against Duo's shoulder and trying to steady his voice.
 
“It isn't easy, Duo,” he managed to choke out.
 
Duo's arms had wound their way around Heero and the vet held his boyfriend close, rubbing softly at the rider's back. “I know it isn't easy, Heero, and as much as it breaks my heart to say it, I really think we need to consider what's best for Scythe and not what's best for us.”
 
Heero knew Duo spoke the truth, that he shouldn't be selfish. Scythe deserved better. “Is she in any pain?”
 
“I don't think so. I'd say she's more on the side of feeling tired and lethargic all the time. She's probably a little short of breath too, but I'm pretty sure she's not in any pain.”
 
“Oh, god, this is so hard,” Heero began, only to hear the sounds of scrambling coming from the stable.
 
“Shit!” Duo exclaimed and releasing Heero, he shot out of the dispensary and into the stable block, heading directly for Scythe's stable where the noises were coming from. Heero was right behind him.
 
“Fuck!” Heero cried as he reached the stable to find Scythe lying down, her legs paddling in the air as her body twitched. “Duo! What's happening?”
 
Duo had opened the door and was inside the stable, keeping clear of the moving legs as his eyes ran over the mare. “Heero, get in here now and see if you can get the lead rope on her. She's having another heart attack. When she comes out of it I'll need you to sooth and calm her as she will be disorientated.” Duo declined to say 'if she came out of it', Heero was upset enough as it was.
 
Heero entered the stable and went to the mare's head, quickly securing the lead rope and waiting for the spasming to stop. Fortunately, it did and Scythe began to still before blinking her eyes and trying to roll over to get to her feet.
 
“Keep her lying down,” Duo ordered as he went to assist Heero.
 
Between the two of them they managed to stop Scythe from standing, the mare remaining lying down, only resting on her chest. Heero turned his frightened eyes to Duo and asked, “Is she going to have another one?”
 
“I don't know, Heero but I don't like the look of her at all.” Duo quickly grabbed his stethoscope and checked the mare over. “Damn.”
 
“What?”
 
“That one was a lot more severe than any previous one. Her heart is beating very erratically and way too fast.”
 
“Duo?”
 
Duo switched his attention back to Heero. Sad, blue eyes gazed back at him and a tear rolled down Heero's cheek.
 
“Put her to sleep, Duo. She can't go on like this, it isn't fair to her.” Heero quickly turned his head so Duo wouldn't see the tears. A warm hand lay on his shoulder and squeezed gently, then that hand traveled to Heero's cheek and turned the rider's head to gaze at his lover's face.
 
The tears were welling in Duo's eyes too. “It's the kindest thing to do, Heero.”
 
“I know.” Heero gave into the tears.
 
“I'll go call Zechs.”
 
“Zechs? Why?”
 
“Heero... I - I can't do it,” Duo replied. “I'm too attached to her.”
 
Heero nodded. “I understand.”
 
Leaving Heero with Scythe, Duo went to make the call.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...
 
 
*shoves Fred out into the firing line and runs for cover*
 
Further reference to heart disease in horses can be found here: http://www.petplace.com/horses/heart-murmurs-and-valvular-heart-disease-in- the-horse/page1.aspx