Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 73 ( Chapter 73 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 73
 
Despite the solicitor having repeated in simple terms the outcome of the wills, Quatre was still having a hard time coming to terms with it. “I've inherited everything?” he asked in a low voice.
 
“Yes, Mr Winner.”
 
“Mr Stein, I don't wish to be presumptuous here, but just exactly what has Quatre inherited and just how wealthy is wealthy?” Trowa asked.
 
“I don't have the exact amount, or the full list of properties; we're currently working on that. I can though give you a fairly good idea.” Stein turned his attention back to Quatre. “Real estate wise, there's your father's house, sister's house and two other properties used as holiday homes; and that includes all contents, furniture, chattels and such. There's your sister's car, father's car and the small collection of vehicles your father had. From the private estates we estimate the value to be around four to five million. Then there's the business, which currently has an annual turn over of fifty million a year. At the moment we're still compiling the other assets such as stocks, shares, other investments and bank accounts. We estimate the final figure to be around the eighty million mark.”
 
By this stage both Trowa and Quatre had turned rather pale.
 
“Eighty million? Did I hear you correctly?” Quatre whispered.
 
“Yes, Mr Winner. Although you do need to remember that a lot of that money is actually tied up in assets. The actual cash availability would be much less, probably around three to six million.”
 
“Three to six... Well fuck me.”
 
Stein and Trowa both jerked in surprise at the use of such a word from the normally gentle blonde.
 
“Sorry,” Quatre apologized, “I didn't mean to use such language, it's just all a bit... overwhelming.”
 
“I can quite understand, Mr Winner. Now, if you can spare a few more minutes I do have several things I need to discuss with you in regards to the will and especially the business...”
 
“Of course.” Quatre's mind was still trying to grasp the idea that he was now a very wealthy person. He'd known his father was well off, that the business was very successful; but he'd no idea his father was that rich. And yet Quatre would have swapped it all if he could have had his sister and father back.
 
The solicitor carried on, informing Quatre of the business and discussing options available to the young man with his new found wealth.
 
* * *
 
An hour later the pair were leaving the solicitor's office, both heads swimming with information overload.
 
“I don't know about you, but I could do with a drink,” Quatre said as they walked through the car park to Trowa's vehicle.
 
“Why don't we have lunch?” Trowa suggested as he glanced at his watch.
 
“That's a great idea. Where would you like to go?” Quatre returned as he got into the passenger seat.
 
“There's bound to be a restaurant around here somewhere,” Trowa replied as he also got in and started up the car.
 
They drove out of the parking lot and into the town, Trowa spotting a nice looking restaurant on the main road and pulling over. Moments later they were inside and seated at a corner booth, perusing menus as the waiter rattled off the specials. Having placed their orders, the waiter returned with their drinks and left them alone.
 
“What do you intend to do now, Quatre?” Trowa asked as he sipped his soda.
 
“What do you mean?” Quatre asked, twirling the stem of the wine glass and then taking a drink of the white wine.
 
“Well, I know you've come into a lot of money, and then there's the properties too, not to mention the business. Do you plan to continue working with the R.S.P.C.A.? Are you going to sell the properties or move into one of them? Keep them and use them as holiday homes? And then the business. Are you going to take over the running of that?” The questions tumbled from Trowa's mouth. He didn't mean to inundate the blonde, but he couldn't help it. Beneath it all, Trowa was a little worried. Not so much for Quatre, but their relationship. He couldn't help the niggling feeling that now his lover was rich and had all this property and such at his disposal, he wouldn't want to be with a run down, animal shelter proprietor.
 
Quatre frowned at all the questions and sensed there was something deeper there. “I haven't really thought all that much about it,” he replied honestly. “I do know that I don't intend to quit working for the R.S.P.C.A. I love my job and I'm in no hurry to leave. As for the properties, I don't know. I might keep one of the holiday houses, then we will have somewhere we can go on vacation. I'd really have to go see them all first, work out from there what I want to do with them. As for the business... Trowa, I don't have a clue about running a business.”
 
Trowa gave a soft snort.
 
Raising his teal eyes, Quatre reached across the table and put his finger under Trowa's chin, forcing the Latin to look at him. “There's something more, isn't there? Something you're not telling me and it's worrying you. I know you, Trowa, don't hide from me. Tell me what's wrong?”
 
Trowa's eyes softened as he gazed at his love. “Never could hide anything from you, could I?”
 
“Nope. Now, out with it or do I have to torture you with a bread stick?” Quatre raised a bread stick like a sword and slashed through the air a couple of times with it for good measure.
 
Trowa laughed and then gave a sigh. Lowering his eyes, he spoke softly. “Now that you're rich, have all this money, power, assets and such you don't need a backwater animal shelter guy holding you back.”
 
“Oh, Trowa,” Quatre began, his eyes misting as his heart ached. “You think that because I've inherited all this wealth I'd leave you?”
 
Trowa nodded.
 
“Then you don't know me very well.” Quatre fiddled with his napkin for a moment.
 
“I'm sorry. I just don't want to see you missing out on things because of me.”
 
“Trowa Barton!”
 
Trowa's head jerked up at the hissed use of his name.
 
“Just because I've inherited all this doesn't change who I am and what I feel; especially when it comes to you. I love you, Trowa, you're my anchor, my heart and soul, my best friend and lover. You're the best thing that ever happened to me and I do not intend to give you up; not now, not ever. You're stuck with me for however long you want me. I'm not going anywhere and no amount of money is going to change me.”
 
The lump in Trowa's throat grew as he listened to his lover's words. He didn't doubt the blonde, the sincerity was thick in his voice and Trowa could have smacked himself over the head for thinking his lover would leave him. He raised his eyes. “I know and I'm sorry for even thinking any of that. I do love you, Quatre, with all my heart and soul. I just want what's best for you.”
 
“Then get all of those silly notions out of your head. You are what's best for me and I am not going to give you up. Now, do I make myself clear?”
 
“Crystal.” Trowa couldn't help the smirk.
 
“Good, now shut up, the food's about to arrive.”
 
The waiter appeared with their meals and the pair dug in. Trowa's heart was a lot lighter, Quatre also feeling much better than he had in days.
 
* * *
 
It took another two weeks for Mr Stein to have a complete list compiled of Quatre's inheritance. Once he had, he contacted Quatre again and the blonde met once more with the solicitor to discuss business. He'd done a lot of thinking, sat with a notebook jotting down ideas and had finally worked out what he wanted to do. He'd consulted Trowa who'd given his opinion and then made the final decisions by himself. He now intended to put his proposals before the solicitor and get his input.
 
Once everything was agreed upon it would be a simple case of putting it all into practice.
 
Quatre hadn't told anyone about the wills, keeping it all to himself, and Trowa of course. He didn't want his friends treating him any different once they knew he was wealthy - not that he thought they would, especially his close friends, but he wanted to sort things out first, then he would inform those closest to him of his windfall.
 
He'd taken a few days off and with Trowa accompanying him had gone to the various residences to look them over and decide what he wished to do with the properties. Having checked out the two houses Quatre's father had kept for holidays, Quatre decided to sell them both. He couldn't see himself taking a vacation at either one so there was no point in retaining them.
 
Iria's house had been the most difficult for Quatre to face. He'd been putting this off for as long as he could and now had no choice but to go there and not only look over the property, but sort through the many belongings his sister had there. He knew the house well, having spent quite a bit of time there and it wasn't all that far from his father's home or Trowa's shelter.
 
With Trowa by his side he managed to get through the worst of it, breaking down from time to time when a memory surfaced as he sorted through Iria's personal belongings. Trowa was there to listen and offer comfort, holding his lover until the tears stopped and they continued once more with the sort through.
 
There were several things Quatre insisted he keep; photo albums, his sister's jewelry, CDs, movies and her letters. Other things such as clothing, shoes and the like he would donate to charity.
 
Going through his father's things, Quatre had thought would be easier. He was wrong.
 
Despite their differences, when Quatre began the task of sorting things out, he discovered his father had still kept abreast of what his son had been doing. There was an entire scrapbook devoted to just him. It contained mostly newspaper clippings, Quatre when he graduated to Inspector with the R.S.P.C.A. Quatre standing outside the courthouse after winning a high profile cruelty case, Quatre out in the field rescuing a stranded cow after the floods. Page after page was filled with them.
 
It had taken Quatre quite a while to come to terms with that and his heart ached even more for the father/son relationship he'd longed for but never had.
 
The house, while big, wasn't overly large either and held a lot of childhood memories for Quatre - happy memories - and he decided he couldn't sell the place, it didn't feel right. He retained many of his father's personal belongings and again donated the rest to charity.
 
Gazing out the kitchen window to the garden beyond, Quatre felt a thought niggling at the back of his mind. The house stood on four acres of land with roughly half an acre being used as gardens and for the house foundations. The remaining three and a half acres were mainly paddocks, the grass running wild in them. He relaxed and let the thought come to the fore of his mind and then began to analyze it.
 
The more he thought about it, the more he liked the idea.
 
“You okay?”
 
Quatre turned at the soft question and smiled at his boyfriend. “Yeah, just thinking.”
 
“Good thoughts I hope,” came Trowa's reply as he came up behind the blonde and wrapped his arms around Quatre's waist.
 
“Actually, they are, and maybe you can help me with them.”
 
“Oh?” Trowa was intrigued now.
 
“This is just a thought, Trowa, so please hear me out before voicing your opinion.”
 
“Okay.” Trowa was more than a little puzzled by that.
 
“Look out there and tell me what you see.”
 
“Um, a garden.”
 
“Beyond that.”
 
“Paddocks?”
 
“Exactly. Empty paddocks.”
 
“Tell me you're not planning on filling those paddocks with horses?”
 
Quatre snorted. “Not exactly.”
 
“Then just what is it you're cooking up in that mind of yours?” Trowa was starting to get a little worried.
 
“Trowa, your place deals mainly with dogs and cats, the occasional goat or similar sized animal. But you don't have the facilities to cater for horses or cattle, that type of larger animal when the society gets them from time to time.”
 
“I'm well aware of the limitations of the shelter, Quatre,” Trowa smiled.
 
“I know, but...” Quatre turned around to meet his lover's eyes. “Right here we have the perfect opportunity for your shelter to expand. Just beyond the garden we could build a completely new set of kennels, one for housing dogs complete with larger runs and outdoor exercise areas and one for cats, again with larger runs and outdoor facilities. We could also build a barn to enable you to take in larger animals. There's enough room out there if it's planned properly.”
 
“Whoa, Quatre.” Trowa threw his hands up in the air in surrender. “What suddenly brought all this on?”
 
Quatre gave a sigh. “I know you're not complaining about the shelter as it is, but I have heard you say you'd like a bigger place, more acreage so you could have better and larger facilities. We have that opportunity to expand, here, with this.”
 
Trowa closed his eyes and thought about what the blonde was saying. He had to admit, it was tempting, but this was Quatre's family home and Trowa didn't want him spending money building new facilities and turning his home into a shelter just because Trowa had stated on a couple of occasions he'd like a bigger place. “I can't let you do that, Quatre.”
 
“Why not?”
 
“You have better things to do with this property and your money than waste it on enlarging the animal shelter.”
 
Quatre set his jaw, took a deep breath and summoning up all his conversational skills, went in to do battle with his lover.
 
For every argument Trowa put up, Quatre counterattacked with a solution, each protest was blocked with a logical explanation.
 
After twenty minutes of arguing, negotiating and cajoling, Quatre finally won, Trowa giving in and admitting defeat.
 
* * *
 
A month and a half had passed since that fatal accident and Quatre's life was starting to return to normal. After several discussions with the solicitor, Quatre had managed to sort out his inheritance. The business would continue to run, a board of directors in charge of the running of the corporation with Quatre taking the position of chairman. He'd appointed one of Stein's other solicitors to keep an eye on the business and make sure things ran smoothly and profitably. Quatre was only required to check things over every couple of months.
 
The holiday homes had been sold, along with the vehicles, Quatre preferring to retain his own car. Iria's home had been kept, although it was vacant right now and Quatre had thought about asking Hilde if she would be interested in renting it from him. He knew the female vet was renting a house not far from the practice, but he figured if he offered it to her at a more reduced rent that she was currently paying, she'd most likely take it. Then he wouldn't need to worry about the place remaining empty and he knew Hilde would look after it too.
 
Plans had been drawn up regarding the buildings that would be needed to house the animals Trowa cared for. Quatre had stepped out of that side of things, simply giving Trowa a ground plan of the property with the section he'd set aside for the shelter facilities and telling his lover to go for it. It was left entirely up to Trowa to decide what he wanted, where he wanted it and how he wanted it.
 
Trowa had been hesitant at first, but soon realized that Quatre really wanted him to design the kennels and runs, after all, he was the one that would be working there every day and knew exactly what was needed and the best way to have it all set up. When it came to the larger animal side of things, Trowa had hesitated, he really didn't know all that much about the facilities for larger animals. Quatre suggested he talk to Heero and Duo about that, they would more than likely have a better idea than either of them.
 
With Quatre's life starting to get back on track and the plans he had all taking shape in his mind, Quatre thought it high time they got together again with their friends. Not only could they catch up, but it would give Trowa the opportunity to speak with Heero and Duo regarding the shelter and himself the chance to put forward a couple of proposals and also let his friends know of his windfall.
 
They were due to have another fundraising meeting and Quatre decided that would be the perfect opportunity to let his friends in on all that was happening.
 
* * *
 
Heero looked through the list of figures again, noting they hadn't changed in any way since he'd last looked at them. Picking up his coffee, he took a sip.
 
“Guess we should get down to business then,” Catherine said as Duo and Hilde finished bringing over the hot beverages and a plate of snacks and took their seats.
 
“What are the figures looking like, Heero?” Hilde asked as she picked up a biscuit and dunked it in her coffee.
 
“Since our last meeting, the figures really haven't changed all that much. There's been a few more donations to the cause and the total sum currently stands at, thirty thousand two hundred and fifty dollars.”
 
“That's still nineteen thousand seven hundred and fifty short,” Catherine stated.
 
“I know and time is running out,” replied Heero glumly.
 
“The games aren't for another four months, Heero,” Trowa pointed out.
 
“Yes, I know that, but I have to have the deposit paid next week and the balance in full by the end of next month. We fly to England two weeks before the games so the horses have time to acclimatize and get over any travel sickness and such.”
 
“I see. How much is the deposit?”
 
“Twenty thousand.”
 
“That still gives us six weeks to raise the rest of the funds,” Trowa said.
 
“Yes, it does, but I still think we're going to be pushing it to raise that amount in such a short time,” Heero replied.
 
“You never know what's around the corner, Heero. Miracles can and do still happen,” Quatre smiled.
 
“Short of gaining major sponsorship, I still think it's going to be difficult.”
 
“We'll see. I have some contacts, let me see what I can do,” Quatre returned and then changed the subject and his attention to the rest of the group. ”I have some news for you all,” he began.
 
With everyone's attention now on him, Quatre took the plunge.
 
“As you all know my father and Iria passed away recently.”
 
All heads nodded.
 
“Well, I've been in talks with my father's solicitor these past couple of weeks in relation to my father's and Iria's wills...” Quatre went on to explain his inheritance, omitting just how much he was now worth, simply leaving it as he was now very well off. As he'd thought, his friends didn't care about his wealth, they were simply happy for him that he'd inherited anything at all.
 
“Trowa and I plan to move into my father's place and live there.” Seeing Catherine about to open her mouth and knowing what was most likely to come out of it, Quatre hurried on. “We're going to move the refuge to my father's property, it's bigger and thus Trowa can expand, not just on the small animal side, but into the larger one too. We're currently drawing up plans for the facilities to be built.”
 
“But, what about your place, Trowa?” Catherine asked.
 
Trowa turned to his sister and smiled. “Don't worry, you're not going to be out of a home, Cathy. Whilst it will be good to have new and larger facilities and I intend to move into Quatre's place, I'll still be keeping the old place. I'd like it if you would continue to live there and look after the place for me. I hope to keep the facilities there as a sort of back up, or maybe use them as boarding kennels or something. I haven't really decided what to do with them just yet.”
 
Smiling in understanding, Catherine placed her hand on her brother's arm and squeezed gently. “Of course I'll stay there and look after the place for you.”
 
“Thanks”
 
Catherine turned to Hilde who was looking both excited and pleased and the pair began to discuss things in a quiet tone.
 
Heero and Duo both offered their support and congratulations to Trowa once they could get a word in. Trowa accepted the kind wishes and then asked them both if they would be willing to give their input in relation to the large animal facilities. Both men immediately agreed and Trowa arranged to call around the following week with the ground plans.
 
With most of the news delivered, Quatre turned his attention to Hilde. “Hilde?”
 
The vet looked up, pausing in her quiet conversation with Catherine. “Yes?”
 
Quatre explained about his sister's house and how he didn't want to sell it, but didn't want to leave it vacant either. He gave the woman his offer and sat back to see what she would say.
 
Hilde was stunned at first and then her brain kick started. “Are you sure you wouldn't rather rent it out to someone else? You'd be sure to get a much higher rent for it than what you're offering it to me for.”
 
“That's the whole idea, Hilde. I know you'd look after the place and I'd rather rent it out cheaper and know it will be looked after than take a risk and have a higher rent paid but the place trashed.”
 
“I have to admit, it sounds very tempting. Would it be alright if I thought about it?”
 
Quatre smiled. “Of course. I wouldn't expect you make a decision straight away. How about I give you a couple of weeks to decide? You can come out and have a look at the place and see what you think. It's fully furnished, but if you have your own furniture I can easily have the other removed and placed in storage.”
 
“Thank you, Quatre, it's really very kind of you to think about me,” Hilde replied. “I'll call you and make arrangements to have a look next week.”
 
“That will be fine.”
 
“Excuse me, everyone, I don't wish to be a spoilsport here, but we do need to get back on track and come up with some more fundraising ideas for Heero and Shini, otherwise there won't be any Olympics for them,” Duo said softly.
 
“Ah, yes,” Hilde said and looked sheepish.
 
Duo gave her a warm smile. “So, has anyone got any more ideas?”
 
Everyone thought long and hard, the silence filling the room. Quatre in particular was looking very thoughtful. Heero broke the silence with a sigh.
 
“I don't think there's anything else we can do to fundraise,” he said in a defeated tone.
 
“Heero?”
 
Heero looked to the blonde. “Yes?”
 
“You said the only way you could see yourself raising the last of the funds was to gain major sponsorship, correct?”
 
“I think that's pretty much the only option left to me, but it's really hard to gain that sponsorship. Not many companies are willing to support someone they don't really know.”
 
“Heero, I'd like to sponsor you.”
 
“Pardon?” Heero's had jerked up. “No offense, Quatre, but that's a lot of money and whilst I know you've come into money there's no way I'd accept that from you, that's not fair to take your inheritance from you.”
 
Quatre gave a smile. “Maybe I should rephrase that. As you know my father had his own business and I've now inherited that business; it's the company that would sponsor you.”
 
“But...”
 
“I'd like to think I have a vested interest in Shinigami. His mother was Scythe, the mare the R.S.P.C.A. rescued and gave to you and I've always thought of Shini as a sort of 'nephew'. Please, let Winner Enterprises sponsor you, Heero.”
 
“Winner Enterprises?” Duo said in a low whistle. “You own Winner Enterprises?”
 
Quatre nodded.
 
“Well fuck me six ways to Sunday.”
 
Everyone in the room couldn't help but snicker at Duo's choice of words, although all were in a similar state of shock. Winner Enterprises was one of the largest companies around - and still growing.
 
“Heero?” Quatre prompted, still waiting for an answer.
 
Heero didn't know what to say. He'd heard of Winner Enterprises but had no idea the company was related to Quatre in any way. “Are you sure it would be the company doing the sponsoring and not your own pocket?”
 
“Yes, Heero.”
 
Heero chewed on his bottom lip for a moment and then made up his mind. He turned his attention back to the blonde. “Then I'd be happy to accept. Thank you, Quatre.”
 
Quatre positively beamed.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...