Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 78 ( Chapter 78 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Many thanks to all of you out there who are reading this fic and a special hug to those who have left a review. Your comments are important to me and I appreciate you taking the time to let me know what you think. ^_^
 
“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 78
 
Once everyone had settled down a bit, Noin addressed the group. “I'll be taking Kyle and his groom back to the Village shortly to unload their gear and get settled in. Tomorrow we will start working the horses, I'd like them to have today off to finish settling in. I'll expect you all to be in the practice arena at ten tomorrow morning, saddled and warmed up. The rest of the day is yours to do as you wish. Please remember to have your passes with you at all times as you won't be allowed back into the Village without them.” Speech finished, Noin turned to Kyle. “I have a few things I need to discuss with the officials. Whilst I'm gone, finish unpacking your gear and put it away, then I'll take you back to the Village.”
Nodding, Kyle checked his horse was settling in and then went to head back towards his car and float where his groom had finished unloading gear.
 
“We'll give you a hand,” Michael said and went to follow.
 
“Thanks,” Kyle returned and began to walk towards the car and groom, Michael and the others right with him.
 
Reaching the car, Kyle did the introductions. “This is Andrew, my groom. Andrew, meet Treize, Joe, Michael, Zoe, Heero and Doctor Maxwell, ah, Duo; sorry,” said Kyle.
 
Andrew shook hands with the rest of the team members and grooms. “Pleased to meet you all.”
 
“We thought we could give you a bit of a hand with the gear,” Michael explained.
 
“That would be great.”
 
Everyone quickly grabbed stuff from the pile Andrew had assembled and within minutes all the gear was safely packed away into the locker.
 
“How long have you been competing on the European circuit?” Heero asked, starting up a conversation whilst they waited for Noin to return.
 
“I've been based here in England for the last six years. It's worked out well for me as I have gotten a lot more experience in International competition than I probably would have back home in Australia,” Kyle replied.
 
“What part of Aussie are you from?” asked Duo.
 
“Victoria, out Werribee way to be exact.”
 
“We're all from New South Wales,” Duo replied.
 
“I knew Michael was, I rode with him and against him in the past when he was based over here,” Kyle replied and turned to face his friend. “So, this is the reason you went back home?” he teased as he looked at Zoe.
 
Michael blushed. “Yeah. We met at the Beijing Olympics and she kinda got under my skin.”
 
Zoe smacked her husband across the arm. “Admit it, you couldn't resist my female charm.”
 
“Actually, I couldn't afford the phone calls any more, it was costing me a fortune to ring each week.” Michael ducked as Zoe took a swing at him and laughing, he took off, Zoe chasing him.
 
Kyle cocked his head, an amused smile on his face. “I'm glad he found someone who can keep him in line.”
 
“Zoe does that all right,” Treize stated.
 
“How long have you had your horse?” Duo asked.
 
“Three years. I bought him off a fellow here in England whom I was riding a few horses for. He's an honest type, loves to jump and is a great horse to ride.”
 
“Guess we will all get the chance to check each other's horses out over the next few days,” said Andrew.
 
“What are your horses like?” asked Kyle.
 
“Romefeller isn't bad, although sometimes I think he's crossed with a kangaroo, the leaps and bounds he gives,” chuckled Treize. “He's the big bay stallion.”
 
“Shinigami, the gray is mine,” announced Heero. “He's also honest and loves to jump. Sometimes he gets a little too enthusiastic, but generally he's reliable enough.”
 
“What are we talking about?” questioned Zoe as she returned, a little out of breath with a flushed Michael holding her around the waist.
 
“We were just telling Kyle about our horses,” Treize told the woman.
 
“Ah. Mine is the best of the bunch. Lionheart, the bay on the end. He's calm, responsive and not at all silly like these other two,” teased Zoe.
 
“Shini is not silly,” huffed Heero.
 
“Neither is Romeo,” Treize stated and tried to look affronted.
 
“Sure, sure,” Zoe snickered. “You should have seen the pair of them yesterday. Tails kinked over their backs, snorting and grunting, carrying on like two year olds. At least Lion is sensible, he just grazed calmly.”
 
“They were just reacting to a new environment,” Heero said in defense of his and Treize's horses.
 
“Might as well give up now,” advised Michael. “You're not going to win.”
 
“Is that the voice of experience speaking?” Kyle raised an eyebrow.
 
“Uh, yeah.” Michael gave a sheepish grin and everyone burst out laughing.
 
“Shinigami. Isn't that Japanese?” questioned Kyle.
 
“Ah, yes, it is,” replied Heero.
 
“What does it mean?”
 
Heero's cheeks reddened a touch. “It means God of Death, or the Grim Reaper if you like.”
 
“Oh.” Kyle looked thoughtful for a moment. “I hope that doesn't mean he's dangerous? He doesn't look a nasty sort.”
 
“Only to the opposition,” snickered Duo.
 
“Good.” Kyle gave a relieved sigh.
 
Noin returned then and the group broke up to go their separate ways.
 
* * *
 
Having returned to the Village to discuss their options for the rest of the day, Heero and Duo decided to go into London and see some of the sights whilst they had the chance. They asked the others if they would like to join them, Zoe and Michael had their own plans and Treize politely declined as he wanted to explore the more immediate area, namely the museum located at Greenwich. Having bid everyone farewell, the pair set off on their own to discover London.
 
“You sure you know where we're going, Duo?” asked Heero as they emerged from the `tube' station.
 
Duo opened the tourist map he'd brought with him and did his best to study it, turning it first one way and then the other. “Errr...”
 
“Here, better give it to me,” Heero sighed and took the map from his boyfriend.
 
“Sorry, I'm not all that good at reading those things,” Duo apologized.
 
“It's no big deal,” replied Heero, although he still found it quite amusing that his lover who was brilliant when it came to animals, still had problems with simple things such as reading a map. “The Tower bridge should be down that way,” he said after a brief consultation with the map.
 
“Let's go then.” Duo moved off into the crowd, camera around his neck and looking for all the world like a regular tourist. The only thing giving him away was his Australian uniform. It was part of their being here. As members of the Australian Olympic Team, they were expected to wear their official uniform when going out and behave in a manner befitting their country.
 
A short walk later saw them both staring in awe at the feat of engineering. As they watched and studied the bridge, a ship was approaching and the guys were treated to the sight of the traffic stopping and the large, twin drawbridges raising to allow the ship to pass through and continue along the river Thames.
 
From the Tower Bridge they moved onto the Tower of London, marveling at the Ravens there and the legend behind their presence. They took their places in the que to see the crown jewels, marveling at the wonderful jeweled crowns, scepters and the like. They joined in on one of the guided tours and learnt a lot more of the history of the place. Duo shuddered when they were given the story and view of the wooden block used to remove many heads from their shoulders in days past. The armory provided much interest too, not just the various and diverse weapons on display, but the suits of armor too.
 
“It would take you ages to get one of those on,” Duo commented as he snapped a picture of the armor clad elephant.
 
“I feel sorry for the horses,” said Heero as he eyed the heavy looking battle suit being worn by a model of a horse.
 
Duo whipped around and took a snap of Heero by the horse in armor before the rider could object. “Wouldn't they have had to use special types of horses to carry both their armor and the knights riding them? Something tells me these aren't exactly lightweight, and when you add a fully suited knight to the equation I'm surprised the horse could stand up, let alone move!”
 
Heero snickered. “I could just imagine Shini wearing one of those.”
 
“If he was in a suit like that and had to carry you on top all kitted out I reckon he'd be crawling on his knees,” Duo laughed.
 
Heero joined in, the mental image of Shini struggling to carry himself and the horse armor quite amusing to say the least. “Answering your question, yes, they did have a special types of horse they used for battle, jousting and such. Although they aren't sure of the exact breed used for the knights, it's widely accepted that the Friesian Horse was the most likely breed to have been used for the knights' battle mounts though.” [1]
 
Stepping out of the Tower of London, Heero consulted his map once more. “We have enough time to visit Buckingham Palace if you want before we need to head back.”
 
“Sounds good to me,” Duo replied with a grin. “I've still got plenty of space on the camera chip for more shots. Who knows, we might get lucky and see the queen.”
 
“Duo, I think it's highly unlikely the queen will be outside and waving to the crowds.”
 
“Oh, you never know. We might spot her walking the corgis.”
 
With a roll of his eyes, Heero began to walk in the direction of the tube station that would take them to Victoria Station, the nearest stop to Buckingham Palace.
 
* * *
 
“Awesome, isn't it? Makes my place look like a shack,” Duo stated as he gazed at the building.
 
“It sure is impressive,” replied Heero.
 
“You know, it kinda makes me feel insignificant.”
 
“Eh?” Heero clearly wasn't following his lover's line of thinking.
 
“Just looking at this building, thinking about all the things that have gone on inside it over the years. I'll bet if those rooms could talk they would have some very interesting stories to tell.”
 
“I guess you're right. There is a lot of history to the place.”
 
“Shame we haven't got enough time to go on one of the tours,” Duo said with a tinge of sadness in his voice.
 
“Hai, it would have been nice. Who knows, we might get the opportunity on a later date. It all depends on the work schedule for the horses and what days and times the competition is on.”
 
“We'll see. There's still quite a few other places I'd like to see before we go home, providing we get the time. Speaking of time, I think we need to be heading back. You wanted to take Shini out for a bit of a green pick and I've got to do another check on all the horses.”
 
Heero glanced at his watch. “We had better get moving otherwise we're going to run out of daylight.”
 
“One more snap before we do. Stand over there, Heero.”
 
Heero reluctantly allowed his lover to position him by the railings with the palace in the background so he could take his photo.
 
“Thanks.”
 
Turning their backs on the palace, the pair walked back to the tube station to get the train back to the Village.
 
* * *
 
“All horses are in perfect health,” Duo told Noin as the coach arrived in the stables.
 
“Good. I hope to have them all working reasonably well tomorrow.”
 
“That small cut that was on the back of Romeo's leg has healed up and the filling in Shinigami's cannon bones has completely gone,” Duo informed.
 
“Thank you, Doctor Maxwell.”
 
With his veterinary duties complete, Duo disappeared into Shini's stable to clean it out and get it ready for the stallion for the evening. Heero had taken the gray out for a green pick after Duo had checked him over and pronounced him fit. Treize had accompanied him with Romeo, leaving Joe to sort out the stable side of things. Zoe had joined Kyle and Michael, taking their horses for a walk around the grounds.
 
Several more teams had arrived and the stabling area was slowly filling up. Duo was enjoying himself. There were many different languages being spoken all around and whilst he didn't understand any of them, they all had a common bond - their horses and the love of the equine sport. Everyone seemed friendly enough, smiling and saying `hello' as they passed each other.
 
Heero gave Shini a good two hours out of his stable, just walking around and grazing. He was pleased that the gray appeared to be settling in well, the time difference or climate not bothering him in the least. It was the end of the summer in the northern hemisphere, in the southern it was coming to the end of winter. Shinigami still had his winter coat, although it wasn't bothering him much as the English weather wasn't anywhere near as hot as Australia's. Most of the summer days were very similar to the Australian autumn in temperature. Returning to the stables, Heero smiled as his lover greeted him.
 
“Everything is ready, all he needs is his feed making up and putting in. I'll brush him down and rug him up if you want to get his feed made.”
 
“Thanks, Duo.” Heero tied the stallion to the door of his stable and went to the locker where the feed was being kept.
 
Whilst Heero was making up Shini's dinner, Duo got to work with the grooming tools, brushing vigorously and removing any dirt from the gray's coat.
 
Shini stood with his head partially lowered, enjoying the scratchiness of the brush against his skin. It got rid of all the itches and massaged his muscles at the same time. Finished with the grooming, Duo put the kit away and fetched Shini's night rug. Putting the thick rug on, he quickly did up the straps, Heero returning with the feed bucket and putting the stallion's dinner inside.
 
Shini gave a couple of grunts and tried to get inside the stable. He could smell his dinner in there and wanted it now. He was hungry!
 
“Easy, sunshine,” Heero said and gave the stallion a couple of carrots.
 
Shini eagerly took the carrots, crunching them up and searching for more.
 
“I'll refill his haynet if you like?”
 
“Thanks, Duo.”
 
With Shini eating his head off, full haynet hanging up, there remained nothing more for the pair to do. Treize and Joe had also finished and so the four made their way back to the Olympic Village and to find something for dinner.
 
* * *
 
“Heero, you need to hurry up and get a move on. Noin will be here in fifteen minutes,” Duo called from where he stood holding Shinigami.
 
“I can't find my helmet,” Heero called back.
 
“It's in the blue bag in the bottom of the box.”
 
“No, it's not.”
 
“Heero, come and hold Shini, I'll get it.”
 
Heero appeared and took the gray's bridle. “I searched in the box and it's not there. Don't tell me we forgot to pack it.” Heero's voice was beginning to rise a little in panic.
 
“Trust me, Heero. It's in there. I packed it myself. In any case, if by any remote chance it is missing, which I'm certain it isn't, I'm sure we can borrow one for today and buy a new one this afternoon.” Duo rolled his eyes and disappeared into the locker room. Thirty seconds later he came out, helmet in hand and a smirk on his face.
 
“Where was it?” Heero asked as he took the helmet. “Thanks.”
 
“In the blue bag in the box like I said,” replied Duo.
 
“Wasn't there when I looked,” muttered Heero as he did up the helmet.
 
“Obviously you didn't look properly. You'd better hurry up, the others are all heading out to the work area and Noin won't be happy if you're late.”
 
Heero leaned in close, took a quick look around and then gave Duo a soft peck on the lips. “What would I do without you?” he whispered.
 
“Probably end up with doubles of all the gear you bought,” chuckled Duo.
 
“You coming to watch?”
 
“Wouldn't miss it for the world.”
 
* * *
 
“Let them all walk and stretch out,” Noin called to the group. “Good.”
 
The four horses all came back to a walk and stretched their necks out, glad for the breather. The riders all similarly relaxed a touch, pleased to have a bit of a break and recover. They had been working on the flat for almost an hour now and finally the horses had started to work to Noin's satisfaction.
 
Duo had stood on the side with all the other grooms to watch. When the group had first commenced warming up whilst waiting for Noin, it had been quite the show.
 
“Is this the Australian Olympic team or a rodeo exhibition?” Duo commented.
 
Joe snickered. “Kinda looks like the saddle bronc ride, doesn't it?”
 
Out in the arena the four riders were doing their best to keep their respective animals moving. Lionheart wasn't behaving too badly, mainly snatching at his bit and trying to rush. Kyle's palomino, Marksman, had settled and was watching the others with a calm, wise look on his face. Shinigami had felt the grass beneath his hooves and immediately began jogging, ignoring Heero's aids that were asking him to walk. Romeo also had a bit of a tickle in his feet, snorting, kinking his tail and prancing around.
 
“Settle down,” Heero growled as he sat deeper into his saddle and pushed Shinigami into a trot. The gray leapt forward as if on coiled springs, head in the air and back hollowed.
 
“Take it easy, you big lump,” Treize admonished his bay. Romeo tossed his head, jumped forward and threw in a buck.
 
Heero took a slightly firmer hold on the reins and drove his legs against Shini's sides. Right now it was like sitting on a plank of wood, the stallion simply would not relax his back muscles and let Heero sit into him.
 
Shini snorted, his stride was choppy and uneven, throwing Heero around slightly in his saddle. When his master's legs pressed harder against him, Shini bucked.
 
Romeo had his attention on his friend and not his rider. Having been cooped up in the stable all the time when he was used to being out in a paddock for a few hours each day, had the bay on his toes. He was excited, full of himself and wanted to gallop.
 
Shinigami was pretty much the same. He was bored being inside and wanted to stretch his legs fully, not just trot around! When his master asked him to trot properly, Shini decided he was going to take matters into his own hooves. The gray took a flying leap forward, dropped his shoulder and tried to turn sharply. Heero managed to stay with his horse, although he was slightly unseated. Feeling his master off balance a little, Shini shoved his head between his knees and began to buck solidly. Everyone else reined their horses in to give Heero and his horse room to sort themselves out.
 
Romeo also felt the excitement in the air and did his best to try and join in, but Treize wasn't having any of it. He sat down hard in his saddle, took a firm hold on the reins and brought the reluctant bay to a halt.
 
Shini got in a few good bucks, catching Heero by surprise. Luckily, Heero was able to sit the bucks and stay with his horse as he did his best to gather up the reins and raise Shini's head, legs pushing forward at the same time. As the gray's head came up so he was unable to buck any longer, but he tucked his tail between his back legs and started to give little hops forward.
 
“That's enough!” Heero growled. Taking a good hold of the reins and digging his knees in tight, Heero raised his whip and gave the stallion a sharp smack.
 
That stung! Shini shot forward trying to run away, but the firm hold on the bit in his mouth soon thwarted that attempt. Still feeling annoyed, Shini dug his toes in and stopped dead.
 
The sudden stop jolted Heero, but it also gave him the chance to regroup and he applied his leg, asking the stallion to walk on.
 
Shini refused.
 
A kick followed and still the gray dug his toes in and tried to go backwards.
 
“Okay, have it your way,” Heero said, his tone annoyed and he raised his whip again, giving the gray another, sharp smack.
 
Shini leapt into the air as if he'd been stung by a bee, but his master's hands and leg were there, preventing him from galloping off but keeping him moving. The stallion decided it might be time to give up and settled into a working trot.
 
“Much better,” Heero praised. A round of applause from the side caught his attention and he blushed as he realized the rest of the team had been watching the gray's antics.
 
“Good riding,” Kyle commented as he rode Marksman alongside the naughty stallion.
 
“Thanks. I don't know what's gotten into him, he's usually pretty calm. Although I should have expected some high jinx given the trip, strange place and lack of work the past few days.”
 
“He'll soon settle down,” said Kyle as he rode off to continue working his gelding.
 
By the time Noin arrived ten minutes later, all the horses had settled, gotten the tickle out of their feet and were working reasonably well.
 
“Okay, people. To finish this workout up, we're going to go down to the jumping arena and put them over a few, low fences. Nothing too difficult, just enough to get them thinking again. I'll meet you all there in five minutes.” Noin left to make her way to the practice arena that held the many jumps.
 
Duo handed Heero a bottle of water which the rider gratefully took and downed half the contents in one go.
 
“Thanks, I needed that,” said Heero as he handed the bottle back.
 
“No problem. Good to see he's settled and is behaving now,” said Duo as he patted the sweating, gray neck.
 
Shini wuffled and began to sniff around Duo's pockets. He knew the nice human usually had his favorite treat for him.
 
“Oh no, you're not getting any carrots at all after that display,” Duo admonished and pushed the inquisitive muzzle away.
 
Shinigami looked at the human through liquid, brown eyes, the little wrinkles of skin above his eyes giving him a soulful look.
 
“Don't try the horsey eyes either. It's not going to work.”
Shini nudged gently.
 
Duo turned his back. “Nope, not looking.”
 
Shini wuffled softly and nuzzled the nice human, his whiskers tickling softly against the skin of Duo's neck.
 
“Aw, for shit's sake. Here you go, but only one. If you behave in the jumping practice I'll give you more,” Duo relented and turning around he produced a carrot.
 
Shini crunched the treat with a smug look on his face.
 
Heero couldn't help but laugh. “He's certainly got you wrapped around his hoof,” he said with a shake of his head.
 
“No, he doesn't,” Duo replied.
 
“No?” Heero questioned with a raised eyebrow. “Sure looks like it to me.”
 
“I'm just giving him a little encouragement,” huffed Duo. “If he knows he's going to get more carrots for being good, then he's bound to perform to his best.”
 
“I hate to tell you this, Duo, but horses do not have the brain capacity to think logically.”
 
“I don't call it logic.”
 
“No?”
 
“I prefer to call it subtle blackmail.”
 
Heero laughed so hard he thought he was going to fall off.
 
“I hate to interrupt whatever it is that's amusing you two, but Noin will be expecting us in the jumping arena in two minutes.” Treize had ridden over to the pair whilst they were locked in their verbal discussion.
 
“Shit! I'd better get moving.” Heero collected up his reins and turned Shini around, riding off with Treize to the jumping arena.
 
Duo joined the other grooms and followed along behind.
 
“These are only low as you can all see,” began Noin. “We will increase the height of the jumps over the next couple of weeks and by the time the games open you should all be back to jumping your usual heights. Now, I have numbered the fences, it's quite simple and only six jumps in total. I just want you to take your horses around them, let them ease back into their jumping without any pressure. Treize, you go first, then Kyle, Heero and Zoe.”
 
The riders all handed their horses over to their groom so they could quickly walk the course Noin had set for them. As the coach had said, it was a simple course, all straightforward fences and no combination jumps. Having satisfied themselves, the riders all returned to their animals and mounted up.
 
Treize rode Romeo around, loosening the bay again and settling him into his stride. When he was comfortable with the way his horse was going, he turned the stallion to the first fence.
 
Romeo was eager to be jumping again and set off with a toss of his head. Treize kept a light feel on the bay's mouth and used his seat and legs to ride the animal forward. Romeo made the course look easy.
 
“Well done, Treize,” complimented Noin as the man returned to the group, patting the stallion. “Kyle, you're next.”
 
Everyone switched their attention to the palomino and is rider. None of them had seen this combination jump before so they were keen to get a good look at the pair. Marksman had a smooth stride and settled into it easily. He approached his fences with ears pricked and cleared each one with inches to spare. The gelding's jumping style was fluid and even, it was obvious the pair shared a close bond.
 
“Good,” Noin said as Kyle returned. “Heero, your turn.”
 
Heero gathered up his reins and nudged Shini forward. He pushed the gray into a canter and circled around until they found their rhythm. Once settled, he turned towards the first fence.
 
Shini spotted the jump and tried to surge forward but his master held him in check. Deciding it was probably best to listen to his master and avoid another smack like earlier, Shinigami relented and steadied his pace.
 
The first fence was cleared easily and Heero turned slightly to bring them into the second jump. He was pleased with how Shini was responding, the gray eager and willing to jump, but calm and listening to his aids at the same time. He could only hope that when it came to the competition itself his horse would continue to behave in this manner.
 
The second jump was cleared, Shinigami giving a snort as if to say `Am I reduced to this?' as the low jump passed under his belly.
 
“Steady, Shini, the real test will come in a couple of weeks time. This is only practice,” Heero soothed.
 
Cocking back an ear, Shini listened to his rider's tone, knowing he was doing well.
 
The third fourth and fifth jumps were also cleared easily, the gray showing the style he'd inherited from his father.
 
“He's a nice, clean jumper,” Kyle remarked.
 
“He's quite agile on his feet too,” Treize responded. “Not like this lump of mine who sometimes forgets he has four legs.”
 
Kyle chuckled. “I don't know, he's certainly got a long stride on him and I'd say that would be a benefit as he's cover more ground in a quicker time.”
 
“That he does. He's getting better though as he's getting older. I've been doing a lot of angle jumping with him, also grids to help with his lengthening and shortening of stride.”
 
“Then you're doing all the right things,” Kyle replied.
 
Heero turned Shini for the last jump, giving the gray his head and lengthening out as they approached their take off point and sailed into the air.
 
“Excellent round, Heero,” Praised Noin as they returned to the group. “Zoe, your turn.”
 
“He was a good boy,” said Duo as he petted the gray when Heero brought him to a halt before the vet.
 
Shini wuffled and welcomed the praise and pats being heaped upon him. His muzzle automatically went to sniff around the nice human's pockets, knowing his treat for being good would be there somewhere.
 
“Yes, you were good and deserve the carrots,” Duo chuckled as he produced the orange treat for the greedy stallion.
 
Zoe and Lionheart were having the time of their life around the course. Lion was a steady jumper, knowing just how much effort to put in and not overtaxing himself.
 
“Great round, Zoe,” said Noin as the woman returned. The she walked over to where the rest of the group had gathered and once Zoe had joined them, she addressed them all.
 
“That was a really good result. I know the jumps were low, but all of your horses are showing keenness and jumping well. That's what I wanted to see, no ill effects from the journey or the settling in. Over the next couple of weeks we will increase the height of the jumps, but we won't be jumping each day, we want the horses to stay fresh, ready for the competition. Tomorrow we will work in pairs. I'll take Zoe and Heero for a lesson at ten in the morning, Treize and Kyle at two in the afternoon. Thank you all for your efforts today. Cool your horses off and take them back to the stables.” Turning, Noin spoke to Duo. “Once the team has cooled down I'd like you to give all the horses a look over, make sure they're all okay if you would?”
 
“No problem. I'll get my bag and be ready for them,” replied Duo.
 
“Thank you.”
 
As the team all walked their horses around to cool off, Noin watched from under a tree. She couldn't help the smile on her face as she noted the riders all talking with each other. They had certainly developed a good team spirit in the short time they'd been here and of that she was glad. Oh, she knew Heero, Treize and Zoe all had that team spirit, but having an unknown, namely Kyle in their midst she was pleased to see they had all accepted him and he, they.
 
That team spirit would go a long way to making the team a successful one.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...
 
[1] It isn't exactly known what breed of horse was used for the knights, although most believe the Friesian was the most likely as it was not only powerful enough to carry the weight of armor and knight, but also swift and agile in battle. It is also most likely that there were several different breeds used according to the type of work required, ie: A jousting mount would be different to a battle mount. I recommend the following sites for further information: http://www.ultimatehorsesite.com/breedsofhorses/friesianhorse.html
http://www.royalarmouries.org.uk/visit-us/leeds/leeds-galleries/t ournament/horse-armour
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horses_in_the_Middle_Ages