Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 80 ( Chapter 80 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

AN: This will be the last chapter of Gold for a short while. I won't be updating any of my fics for a little while as my father passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly on the 11th. Writing is the last thing on my mind right now - I hope you all understand. I will return to my writing and the fics will be finished, just not for a week or two. Thank you all for your patience.
 
“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 80
 
Reluctantly, Treize dragged himself from the arms of his lover and the bed. He sat on the side of the mattress, rubbing at his sleepy eyes, a pair of arms wound around his waist as a soft kiss was placed on his lower back.
 
“Love you,” came the husky voice.
 
Treize turned his head and smiled at his lover. Zechs first thing in the morning was a lovely sight. His hair mussed from sleep, soft, blue eyes still slightly unfocused and a warm, rosy glow to his pale skin. It was a sight Treize would never tire of. “Love you too,” he replied.
 
Zechs cuddled closer. “I wish you didn't have to go.”
 
“So do I, but I have a horse to work and a country to represent,” Treize chuckled as the arms around him tightened.
 
“When will I get to see you again?”
 
“Come down to Greenwich where the horses are stabled. I know you won't be allowed in, but call me on my cell when you arrive and I'll come out to meet you. I'll let Noin know you're here as well and see if there is any way we can get you a pass that will at least allow you inside the stabling area.”
 
“Mmm... That would be wonderful.”
 
“I'd better get going otherwise I'll have Noin after me and there's going to be a few questions asked as it is, without her finding out I spent the night with you.”
 
“Ashamed of me?” teased Zechs.
 
“Never,” replied Treize as he leaned across and stole a kiss. “It's just easier to avoid awkward questions this way.”
 
“I understand,” sighed Zechs. “One of these days society just might get over its antiquated views and accept love for what it is.”
 
“Somehow I don't think it will happen in our lifetime.”
 
“Yeah, I agree.” Zechs rolled over and let his lover escape. His blue eyes watched in appreciation though as Treize got himself dressed.
 
“I'll see you a little later on then?”
 
“You can count on it.”
 
* * *
 
Heero was hard at work on Shini when Treize joined him on Romeo. Once Treize had the bay trotting around, Heero rode towards him and began to ride the gray alongside his boss.
 
“Zechs arrive okay?” Heero asked.
 
“Yes, yes he did.”
 
“He managed to get to his hotel all right?”
 
“Yes.”
 
“Good.” Heero gave a small smile. “Noin doesn't know you weren't at the Village last night.”
 
“Thanks.”
 
“Anytime.” Heero rode off to continue working his stallion, leaving Treize to work Romeo and remember his night of passion.
 
Shinigami had worked well and Heero was pleased with the stallion. He found Duo waiting for him in the stables when he brought the gray back in. He unsaddled the horse whilst Duo gave him a quick check over and then they both finished off grooming the horse before putting him back in his stable to eat his breakfast.
 
“Zechs arrive okay?” Duo asked as he gave Heero a hand to put his gear away.
 
“Yes and Treize made sure he got to his hotel without any problems.”
 
“I'll bet he gave him a hand to check out the room too,” Duo chuckled.
 
Heero snickered. “Judging by the dreamy expression in his eyes this morning I'd say they had a really good workout last night.”
 
“Good for them. It must have been hard on Treize to not have Zechs around when the rest of us had our partners,” Duo replied and then went deep into thought.
 
“What are you thinking about?”
 
“I was just wondering what Noin will say when Treize tells her Zechs is here. Oh, I also wonder if Zechs will be allowed into the Olympic Village or the stables at all?”
 
“Yeah, that could be a bit of a problem,” mused Heero.
 
Both men ceased their conversation and looked up as Treize rode in. Whilst Joe took charge of Romeo, Duo gave the horse a check over, leaving Heero to talk to Treize and do a little `fishing'.
 
Having pronounced Romeo fit and well, Duo rounded on his lover to find out what information Heero had managed to get.
 
“He's going to see if Noin can get a special pass for Zechs,” Heero told his partner.
 
“Is that possible?”
 
“I don't know. Suppose one can always try, all they can do is say no.”
 
“Yeah, I guess you're right.”
 
* * *
 
After finishing with his horse, Treize pottered around the stable area for a while, watching some of the other countries' riders working their horses and trying to determine which were in the showjumping competition and possibly how good the opposition was. Whilst he was watching a chestnut horse and rider having a battle of wills, his cell rang.
 
“Treize here.”
 
“Treize, it's Zechs. I'm outside the main entrance to Greenwich, but I can't come in any further without a pass.”
 
Treize's face lit up. “I'll just go find Noin and be right out.”
 
“Okay.”
 
“I shouldn't be too long.”
 
“No problem. I'll wait just to the left of the entry.”
 
“I'll see you soon.” Treize hung up and went in search of Noin.
 
Treize walked across to where Noin was teaching and patiently waited to one side for her to finish up her lesson with Zoe and Kyle. With a few last words to the riders, she nodded in dismissal and walked across to Treize. “Something up?” she asked as Treize turned and started walking back towards the stables.
 
The coach fell into step beside him and Treize organized his words. “Miss Noin, I don't know if this is possible at all, but I hope so. I'm sure there must be a way, some loophole or something...”
 
“Treize?” Noin looked at the tall rider, concern in her eyes. “What's going on? What's wrong? Is there something the matter with Romefeller?”
 
Realizing where the coach's thoughts had strayed given his lack of information, Treize smiled. “No, nothing is wrong with Romeo. I'm not being very clear here, am I?”
 
“No, you're not. Would you care to start again and let me know what it is that's bothering you before I have a serious anxiety attack?!”
 
Taking a deep breath, Treize tried again. “Do you remember at Zoe and Michael's wedding I brought along a very good friend of mine? He's also a vet, a colleague of Doctor Maxwell's. A Zechs Merquise?”
 
Noin cast her mind back and the memory came forth. “The tall, blonde vet? The one with hair down to his lower back?” The perfect example of manliness with a husky voice, charming blue eyes and a body to die for, she silently added.
 
“Yes, that's him.”
 
“What about him?”
 
“Well, he's here in London. He arrived yesterday. He's come across to support the team.”
 
“He's here?!” Noin almost yelled the words out as her heart rate sped up.
 
“Um, yes. I was hoping there may be a way we could get a pass card for him so he can come into the stable area. He's got accommodations at a hotel, but I thought it would be nice if he could enter the stabling area as well, he is friends with most of the team...” Treize trailed off and frowned, giving the coach a good look. Noin's eyes appeared to be quite distant. “Noin? Noin?”
 
Noin was busy thinking about the gorgeous hunk. She wondered if he'd changed much since she'd last seen him and if she possibly stood a chance. Hearing Treize's concerned voice calling her name, she blinked and focused back on the rider. “Ah, sorry, I was trying to think how we might be able to swing that,” she lied and then promptly did switch her mind to thinking about how she could get a pass card for tall, blonde and gorgeous.
 
“I did have a thought, although I'm not sure what you or even Doctor Maxwell might think about it,” Treize said softly.
 
“What was it?”
 
Treize explained his idea and Noin pondered it for a moment before agreeing that it might work and suggesting they fill Duo in and see what he thought. With that they headed back to the stables to locate Duo.
 
* * *
 
“I don't have a problem with it,” Duo said with a grin. “If it works then I'm all for it.”
 
“Good. I'll go speak with the authorities then. I'll need both you and Treize to accompany me in case they need to speak with either or both of you to verify anything,” said Noin.
 
Both men nodded.
 
“Shall we go then?”
 
“Lead on, oh prestigious coach,” Duo said with a smile.
 
“Just make sure you all have your story right,” Heero snickered as he watched them depart for the security office in the stabling block.
 
Treize had suggested they ask the authorities for a special pass for Zechs on the grounds that he was a specialist equine vet and had traveled to watch the equestrian events. Although Duo was the team's official vet, once Duo had heard that Zechs was in London, he'd asked if the other vet could possibly be allowed in as an assistant to him, hence their approach of the authorities. Fortunately, Zechs' passport verified that he was a vet and would no doubt come in handy for identification purposes.
 
Noin knocked on the administration door and waited to be admitted. As she stepped inside she gave the others a smile and crossed her fingers.
 
Fifteen minutes later, Noin returned and informed them that the administration was quite okay with issuing Zechs a security pass, but only to the stabling area and only if the main administration area approved. For that they would need to go back to the Village and speak with the authorities there.
 
Treize and Duo agreed to meet Noin back at the Village administration office in an hour's time, that way they could collect Zechs and bring both him and his paperwork with them.
 
* * *
 
Noin and Zechs stepped out of the building, smiles on both their faces and Zechs proudly displaying the pass card he'd been issued.
 
“They were very accommodating in the end,” Noin informed the rest of the group who had been waiting anxiously outside. “The card will only allow him into the stabling area though, not into the Village itself.”
 
“I don't mind,” Zechs stated as he resisted the urge to grab Treize and hug the living daylights out of him. “At least I will be able to give Duo a hand if he needs it and watch the rest of you practice.”
 
“I'm so pleased they issued you with a pass,” Duo congratulated.
 
“It was all due to Miss Noin here,” Zechs replied and turned to the coach. “Thank you. I don't how how I can repay you.”
 
Noin felt her legs turn to jelly as the man of her dreams smiled at her. “Umm, I'm glad to have helped, as for repaying me, maybe we could have dinner one night?”
 
Heero had to give both Zechs and Treize their due, neither one so much as flinched, but he could see the turmoil in both sets of blue eyes.
 
“Ah. I'll have to check and see if and when I'm free.” Seeing the look forming on Noin's face he was quick to add, “I have a few sightseeing tours booked and a couple of old colleagues to catch up with whilst I'm here so I'll need to check my diary before I could possibly commit to anything,” he lied smoothly.
 
“Okay, I see. I'll leave you with it then. Just let me know if and when you are available,” replied Noin, the smile having returned a little. “I'd better get moving, I've got a few things to do.” Noin took her leave and the four men heaved a sigh of relief.
 
“I think she's sweet on you, Zechs,” Duo snickered.
 
“No shit!' growled Treize.
 
Zechs just looked panic stricken. “How the hell do I get out of this one?” he whispered.
 
“I don't know, but you can be sure we will think of something,” muttered Treize. “You're mine and no one, coach or not is going to put their claim on my boyfriend.”
 
“Jealous, much?” Duo teased.
 
“You better believe it!” snapped Treize.
 
“Then I wish you all the best in trying to evade Noin,” grinned Heero. “You could always come right out and tell her the truth, that you're both gay and a couple. She's sure to back off then.”
 
“And risk being thrown off the team and sent back home? I don't think so. No, but we will have to come up with something,” replied Treize and began to scour his mind for a solution.
 
“Good luck with it. I'm going to find some lunch. You coming, Heero?” Duo said.
 
“Yeah, right with you.”
 
* * *
 
The following few days were rather rough for Zechs and Treize. It seemed that wherever they went in the stabling area, Noin would show up. The coach still had her lessons with the team members and assisted them when they were working their animals which was quite normal, however she seemed to spend a little more time around Treize than she used to.
 
It amused Duo and Heero to no end.
 
It was driving both Treize and Zechs slowly nuts.
 
Neither man wanted to come right out and tell the coach to back off, but it was slowly and steadily eating away at them. Noin for her part, didn't have a clue that her advances were not welcomed and she continued to flirt with the vet, although she wasn't over the top with it.
 
The guys had all decided to meet up and have dinner in a restaurant in town instead of the Village, Zoe and Michael were joining them and it looked like it was going to be quite a good night. Whilst Treize and Zechs had not admitted their relationship to anyone other than Heero and Duo, Zoe wasn't blind and had a pretty good idea the pair were a couple. Michael also had his suspicions.
 
Dinner was going well, the conversation lively and everyone in good spirits. They were about to order their desserts when a group of five entered the restaurant and Zechs immediately groaned.
 
“What's up?” asked Treize
 
“Don't look now but there's a certain, starry eye coach at three o'clock,” Zechs replied. Treize turned and looked; and wished he hadn't.
 
Noin had entered the restaurant with four other Australian coaches from different sports; as Treize turned so she spotted him and with a quick word to her friends, headed in their direction.
 
“Shit! She's coming over,” Treize growled.
 
“Someone please hide me under the table,” moaned Zechs.
 
Zoe and Michael looked to each other and then to the other four. Clearly they didn't have a clue as to what was going on and no one had the chance to fill them in as Noin arrived.
 
“Hello everyone. I didn't know you were all coming here for dinner,” Noin said as she stopped at their table, right beside Zechs. “If I had known we could have all joined up together.”
 
“We didn't know ourselves until a couple of hours ago,” Duo replied in their defense.
 
Noin smiled at the group, but her eyes stayed fixed on Zechs. “Maybe you could join us for a coffee?”
 
“Thanks, but no thanks, we wouldn't want to intrude. Besides, we are all finished and were about to pay out bill and leave,” Treize stated, his voice a little short.
 
“We were? What about des... Ow!” Zoe's voice was cut off as Michael elbowed her discreetly in the ribs. He wasn't too sure what was going on but he sensed neither Treize nor Zechs particularly wanted the woman around right now.
 
Noin missed the exchange as she was too fixated on Zechs. “Okay,” she said, her tone a little disappointed. “Maybe some other time?”
 
“Yes, that would be nice,” Zechs said, gritting his teeth.
 
Heero was doing his best not to laugh and Duo wasn't much better. Zechs gave them both a glare, one Noin couldn't see.
 
“Well, we'd best be going then. Nice to see you, Noin. We will catch up with you tomorrow at training,” Treize said and hastily stood. The rest of the group followed suit, Zoe still muttering about the dessert she wanted.
 
The rest of the group bid Noin good evening, the coach returning the words and walking off to join her friends. Treize and the others paid their bill and walked out the front of the restaurant where Zechs gave a deep sigh.
 
“Okay you two,” Zoe began as she rounded on the pair. “Something is going on and I want to know what. I also want some dessert.”
 
“Let's go find a cafe somewhere, I could do with a strong coffee,” Duo suggested.
 
Treize and Zechs looked at the other four. “All right,” said Treize. “A cafe it is. I could do with some caffeine myself and I promise we will fill you both in on what's going on,” he added with a look to Zoe.
 
“Good. Come on.” Zoe grabbed Michael's arm and led them off in search of a cafe.
 
* * *
 
“Okay, spill,” said Zoe as the waitress left after delivering their assorted coffees and a banana split for Zoe.
 
“Shall I tell them or you?” asked Treize, picking up his coffee and taking a sip.
 
“I think you should, you've known them longer than I have,” replied Zechs.
 
Both Zoe and Michael looked from one man to the other before Zoe spoke again. “Look, guys. I might be wrong here, but it seems to me that you two could be a couple and if you are I just want you to know that Michael and I are fine with that so you don't have to fear ridicule from us.”
 
“Well, that certainly makes it bit easier,” Treize muttered and then proceeded to fill the married couple in on all that was going on. When he'd finished, Treize sat back and waited for the questions to hit. Zechs had held his silence, watching intently though for any signs of what the pair could possibly be thinking. Heero and Duo simply enjoyed their coffees and let the other four get on with it.
 
“Let me get this straight,” said Zoe, her brow furrowing. “You and Zechs here are a couple, the same as Duo and Heero?”
 
“Correct.”
 
“Zechs has flown over here not just to support the team or assist Duo as was told to the authorities, but mainly to be with you?”
 
“Right again.”
 
“And it appears that Noin has a bit of an interest in Zechs?”
 
“More like a full on crush,” Zechs grumbled.
 
Zoe laughed. “Guys, why don't you just come right out and let Noin know you're together?”
 
“And risk being sent back home? I don't think so,” Treize muttered.
 
Zoe gave the other rider a disbelieving look. “Noin wouldn't send you back home, Treize, that I do know. She might have a crush on your boyfriend, but I think she deserves to know the truth, that he's not available. Whilst you may not believe me, Noin is a very understanding person and I think she'd like to know the truth before she makes a complete fool out of herself. That would really piss her off.”
 
Treize gave a sigh. “I suppose you're right. But, how do we tell her? Shouldn't Zechs be the one to let her know as he's the one she's chasing?”
 
“Oh no you don't, Treize You're not leaving me alone with that woman to tell her something like that,” Zechs huffed.
 
“Wuss,” snickered Duo.
 
“I don't see either you or Heero exactly jumping at the chance to tell her you're a couple,” Treize retorted.
 
“Noin's not chasing my boyfriend,” Duo replied smugly.
 
“Bastard.”
 
“Guys, if you will stop your squabbling for a moment?” Zoe intervened. Once silence had settled again, she continued. “If it will help any, I can talk to Noin for you. I'm sure it would go across a little better if a woman was to fill her in.”
 
“You wouldn't mind?” Both Treize and Zechs looked a little relieved.
 
“Of course I don't mind. Maybe then we can all get back to the matter at hand, mainly getting our horses and ourselves concentrating on winning this gold medal.”
 
“Then we accept. Thank you,” replied Treize on both his own and Zechs' behalf.
 
“No problem. You can pay for dessert though, I think you owe me that much,” Zoe grinned.
 
Treize rolled his eyes. “Women!”
 
* * *
 
True to her word, Zoe took Noin aside the following day before they commenced their training lesson and as gently as she could, explained that Zechs was already in a relationship. Noin had been surprised to start with and then a little embarrassed that no one had told her he had a girlfriend. Zoe patiently explained that whilst Doctor Merquise was in a relationship, it didn't involve a female.
 
“Oh.” Noin's mind was running in circles. “If he's not got a girlfriend, but he's in a relationship then that must mean...”
 
“Yes, Noin. He doesn't swing your way,” Zoe said as gently as she could. “I hope you're not offended by that?”
 
“Offended? No. I've never really given much thought to same sex couples, but it doesn't repulse me. I suppose as long as he's happy and with someone who knows what they have with him, then it's okay. I can't say that I'm not disappointed though. Even you would have to admit it's a damn shame for the female gender, such a handsome hunk and he has to like guys. What a waste.”
 
Zoe couldn't help it, she laughed. “I guess I'd have to agree with you there, Noin. He is a damn fine specimen of the male race, but he is in a very stable relationship and I know his partner is kind and caring.”
 
Noin looked up sharply. “You know who he's with?”
 
Zoe nodded and bit her lip, hoping she wasn't overstepping the boundaries. “You do too, Noin.”
 
Frowning, Noin searched through her mind and then the proverbial light bulb went off. “Treize?” she whispered.
 
Zoe nodded again.
 
“Well shit!” Noin sat in stunned silence for a couple of minutes, then she gave a sheepish smile. “I suppose I should apologize to both of them.”
 
“I don't think they expect you to do that, Noin,” Zoe replied.
 
“I know, but it would make me feel better.”
 
“Then if you think it would help, by all means, have a few words with them. I'm sure they would be appreciative of that.”
 
“I'll do it now and then maybe we can get back to training these animals and concentrate on winning that gold medal.”
 
“Funny, I said a similar thing,” Zoe snickered.
 
True to her word, Noin located Treize and Zechs, asking them both to speak with her in private. Treize was a little concerned, hoping that Noin wasn't going to rip him a new one and send him home. Zechs was also on edge, not sure what to expect from the woman.
 
Both men found their fears to be unwarranted. Noin did apologize to them both, making it perfectly clear that had she known at the start, she wouldn't have tried to make a move on Zechs. She also let them know she had no problem with their relationship, but she still expected one hundred percent effort from Treize and his horse in their endeavor to win the gold.
 
Treize was so relieved he actually confessed his worry about being sent home; that amused Noin to the point where she couldn't help but laugh. Zechs thanked her for being so understanding and not condemning them, he also told the coach he was flattered by her interest and if he hadn't been gay then he most certainly would have returned the interest.
 
Noin blushed over that.
 
With the air cleared and everyone knowing where they stood, the team got back to the business of getting themselves and their horses ready for the competition ahead.
 
Noin spent the remaining four days putting the team through some intense practice; flat work in the mornings followed by jumping in the afternoons. All four horses were responding well to the training, their fitness levels increasing as their work load also increased. The riders were also getting fitter, Noin insisting that they all do a little physical training themselves. The Village had a fully equipped gymnasium and the riders were quick to put it to use.
 
Before they knew it, London had come alive with many different races, colors and creeds. The Olympic Village was filled to capacity, everywhere you looked there were uniforms of the many different countries.
 
It was a similar story in the stables. All the equestrian teams had now arrived and the stabling area was a hive of activity from dawn until dusk. The practice areas were constantly in use and many different languages abounded.
 
Before they knew it, they were on the eve of the opening ceremony.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...
 
AN: In the real Olympic Games, Zechs would not have been issued with a pass, but I'm sure you would all be well aware of that. As this is a fictional setting I'm claiming poetic license and allowing Zechs to obtain a pass. ^_^