Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 89 ( Chapter 89 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 89
 
Duo's breath caught in his throat as he watched Shini put in a short stride and leap in the air from right underneath the jump. The gray body appeared to rise vertically in the air at a seemingly impossible angle. Duo's knuckles turned white and he bit his lip in an effort to stop from crying out.
 
There was no way he could see for the pair to clear that jump.
 
Too sharp on the turn,” Treize muttered. “Oh, god, I hope Shini has enough power in those hind quarters.”
 
Heero went forward with his horse, hands flowing up the neck as he practically stood in his stirrups. It felt as though Shinigami was rearing up on him, although Heero knew that wasn't the case. He did everything in his power to help his horse, keeping as much weight off the stallion's back as he could and allowing the gray all the rein he needed.
 
Back hooves dug deep into the dirt, muscles strained and flexed in powerful hind quarters as they did their best to push the body up and forward. Shini tucked his front legs as close to his body as he could get them and grunted with the effort he was putting in. He rose vertically from the ground, seeming to travel in a never ending upwards thrust. As he reached the top of the jump, Shini's body tilted forward and he scraped over the top pole, twisting his back so his hind legs wouldn't catch on the rail.
 
Shit, shit, shit!” Duo muttered, eyes never leaving the pair in the ring.
 
Ow, damn,” Zechs mumbled from his seat beside the other vet. Duo's hand had strayed to Zechs' arm with Shini's jumping attempt and now that hand was starting to grip harder and harder. Zechs was sure there would be bruises, but he couldn't bring himself to tell the other man to let go.
 
Please clear it, please clear it,” Duo repeated as a mantra under his breath. He watched as Shini twisted in mid air and grimaced at the thought of what damage the stallion could be doing to himself.
 
Zechs felt the bones in his arm protest the tight grip.
 
Shini managed to get his hind legs over the jump and stretched out with his forelegs for the landing. His hooves dug into the dirt, the impact jarring through his shoulders and back with the steepness of the descent. On his back, Heero allowed his weight to slowly drop back into the saddle, hands shortening the reins to keep the contact with the stallion's mouth. The jarring of the landing rattled the teeth in his head and Heero could only hope and pray that Shinigami hadn't hurt himself.
 
Somehow the pair managed to clear the jump and once all four feet were back on the ground the crowd seemed to sigh in relief in unison.
 
Thank god!” Treize breathed.
 
Christ! Talk about cutting it close,” Kyle stated. “That's got to be one for the books!”
 
I hope they don't do that again,” Zoe murmured.
 
You and me both,” Duo mumbled.
 
That horse has certainly got courage,” said Noin with a shake of her head. “Just how the hell they managed to clear that is beyond me.”
 
Duo? Do you think you could let go of my arm now, please? I kinda need the circulation to keep my hand from dropping off.”
 
Duo's head whipped around to Zechs and he dropped his eyes to see he was holding Zechs' arm in a death grip. He bushed red to the roots of his hair. “Oh, Zechs. I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to grab your arm I didn't realize I had...”
 
Duo, it's okay.”
 
Why didn't you say something before? Shoved me off or something. You're gonna have bruises there by tomorrow, I'm so sorry...”
 
Duo?”
 
Yes?”
 
You're babbling. Now, shut up and forget about it. It's fine and you can return the favor when it's Treize's turn to jump.”
 
Ah, okay.”
 
* * *
 
What the hell?!” Trowa exclaimed. “They can't possibly clear that.”
 
He is very close,” Quatre said as he watched the coverage on the television.
 
Too close if you ask me.”
 
That's it, Shini, give it all you have,” Quatre muttered to himself as he watched the game gray and his rider rise up into the air.
 
Biting his lip, Trowa didn't know whether to keep watching or hide his face in the pillow. The pair were ensconced in bed watching the coverage on the large, flat screen television Quatre had mounted on the wall in the bedroom. Catherine and Hilde were at Duo's place, watching the coverage there as Hilde was on call that evening.
 
He's not going to make it,” Trowa stated, opting to continue to watch.
 
Quatre didn't bother to reply, he had faith in his 'nephew' and Heero's skills.
 
That faith proved to be warranted when Shinigami somehow managed to get himself over the jump without dislodging a rail.
 
Good boy!” Quatre shouted and then turned to his lover. “Told you he would,” he said and then kissed his partner.
 
Maybe I should argue with you more often if that's what I get by way of reward,” Trowa snickered.
 
Quatre gave him a glance from the corner of his eye.
 
* * *
 
Sitting fully into his saddle, Heero gave the gray neck a pat. “Good boy, Shini, but please, let's not have any more like that.”
 
A gray ear swiveled back to listen. That last jump had taken a bit out of him and Shini wasn't keen to repeat it any time soon either.
 
Riding the stallion forward, Heero used every nerve ending in his body to 'feel' how his horse was traveling. He tried to pick up on any subtle change in the stallion's gait anything that would indicate if Shinigami had hurt himself.
 
The horse felt smooth and even beneath him.
 
Satisfied for the moment that all was still well with the stallion, Heero turned his concentration back to the course ahead and specifically jump eight that was coming up quickly.
 
It was the hay bales.
 
Shinigami gave a snort when he spotted the jump ahead. No matter how many times he'd been faced with hay bales, he still found it hard to jump what was supposed to be his dinner.
 
Knowing his horse's tendency to try and stop at hay jumps, Heero drove his legs against the stallion's sides and used his seat to push the horse forward.
 
The gray resigned himself to having to jump over the food and not stop for a quick bite. Gathering himself together, Shini took off perfectly over the jump.
 
* * *
 
He really isn't keen on jumping hay, is he?” Zechs mused.
 
No, he isn't,” replied Duo. “He'd much rather snack on the stuff.”
 
Guess you can't blame him.”
 
Not really. I suppose I'd be a little confused too if someone asked me to jump over a plate of burgers and fries.”
 
Zechs snickered. “Not quite a 'drive through', more like a 'ride through' I suppose you could say.”
 
Duo just stared at the other vet and shook his head. “And they say my humor is lame.”
 
* * *
 
With the hay bales safely behind them, Heero began the sweeping turn to jump nine and increased the pace until Shini was almost galloping. It was the water jump next and Heero didn't want to leave a hoof behind in it.
 
The stallion didn't want to get any of his feet wet either!
 
The gray flattened out and whizzed like a bullet towards the water. He pushed off the ground and flew across the expanse of wet stuff, front legs touching down well clear of the edge, hind feet following a fraction later.
 
Knowing he was safe, Heero sat hard and took a strong feel on the reins. His hands checked the forward movement whilst his seat and leg pushed the horse back together again underneath him. Luckily, Shinigami was listening this time and came back to hand pretty quickly.
 
With his mount rebalanced and the impulsion building again, Heero concentrated on the approaching jump ten. The oxer was a formidable jump, solid but with a good ground line. The gray body beneath him rose to the challenge, muscles working hard to lift the body off the ground and into the air. They arced over the fence, landing safely and cantering away towards the hedge.
 
* * *
 
Now for the other tricky part,” Duo muttered.
 
He's doing really well so far and he's within the time too,” Treize stated.
 
Despite the hiccup at jump seven, I have to say they appear to be doing better than they did in the first round,” Kyle said.
 
They're both doing a fine job out there,” Noin said the pride evident in her voice.
 
I'm hoping that Shini doesn't run out of steam before he's finished,” Duo put in. He could see the gray was starting to tire a little and the extra effort he'd had to put in over jump seven hadn't done anything to help.
 
They will be fine, Duo. Just you wait and see,” Zoe consoled with a genuine smile.
 
As long as they're both in one piece when they finish then I'll be happy,” Duo returned.
 
* * *
 
Remembering he had a sharp turn after the hedge to the triple combination, Heero made sure to have Shinigami completely focused on him. The stallion was finely tuned to his master and listened with not just his ears, but his body as well for the subtle signals.
 
Keeping the impulsion, Heero lined up the hedge and then let his horse surge forward in the last three strides.
 
They met it perfectly, Shini's quarters propelling the horse up and over, clearing the jump with several inches to spare.
 
They landed and Heero's eyes were turned to the next jump. It was the triple combination and it was imperative he get the turn right if they were to have any chance of clearing all three elements. He couldn't make the mistake he'd made at seven there wasn't enough strides between the fences for his horse to be able to re-balance in time.
 
Keeping one eye on the jump, Heero looked for his turn and shifted his body weight. The stallion responded, shortening his stride and making a nice turn.
 
* * *
 
Lovely turn,” Michael murmured, gaze firmly fixed on the pair in the arena.
 
He's riding much better than I've ever seen him ride,” Zoe said softly.
 
He is,” Michael replied. “He's improved so much and so has his horse over the past twelve months.”
 
Treize has been good for him. All that work with different horses has taught him a lot,” Zoe mused.
 
I'd say he's as good as Treize, if not better. He seems to have that rapport with his horse, a trust between man and beast.”
 
I agree with you there.”
 
* * *
 
Concentrating hard, Heero rode at the first element of the triple. He could feel the energy beneath him, Shinigami waiting for the signal to surge forward. Going forward in his saddle, Heero kept the contact but pushed a little harder. The gray picked his take off point and waited for his rider to let him go.
 
Hands went up the gray neck as Heero drove his legs against Shini's sides. The stallion bounded forward and sailed into the air. Moments later forelegs were reaching for the ground and bit deep as they landed.
 
Immediately they had touched down again, Heero was there, his seat and leg pushing the horse together, steadying with a light touch to the rein and then insisting the horse jump again.
 
The one stride was taken and Shini launched into the air again. This part was a little more difficult as it was wider than before and Shini had to put in quite a bit of effort to clear it.
 
Poles flashed beneath his belly and the stallion began his descent.
 
Come on, Shini,” Heero urged and rode with all he had at the last part of the triple. He felt the muscles strain as the gray shoved off the ground, a grunt escaping with the effort. They were airborne again, Heero doing all he could to assist the stallion. Weight was up and out of the saddle, hands forward on the neck as Heero followed the movement of his horse.
 
* * *
 
Duo held his breath as he watched his lover tackle the triple. The tufted end of his braid was soggy from where he'd stuffed it into his mouth to stop from crying out. His fingernails were almost bleeding he'd bitten them so short.
 
Nice and easy,” Treize said.
 
It's like he's got coiled springs under those hooves,” chuckled Zechs.
 
I don't think I want to watch anymore,” Duo moaned.
 
There, there. It will all be over soon,” Zechs soothed and patted Duo's back.
 
You sound like a corny movie,” Duo replied.
 
* * *
 
Shinigami landed clean over the third element and a small murmur went up from the crowd. Heero ignored it though; he was totally fixated on riding his horse towards the last two jumps.
 
Steady, Shini,” Heero murmured, “Two more to go and we're home.”
 
The gray could tell from the tone of his master's voice that they were nearly finished and that he'd been good so far. In his own, equine mind, the stallion knew there were just a couple more jumps to go, horses having the ability to remember things when they had been repeated often enough.
 
With just two jumps remaining, Heero wasn't about to let his concentration waiver. He knew his horse was getting tired, the gray's canter not as bouncy as it was at the start of the round. These two jumps would be crucial. Using his seat and leg, combined with his hands and voice, Heero encouraged his horse to build the impulsion yet again.
 
The wall lay ahead, a towering mass of red bricks and a formidable foe.
 
Heero rode at it with all the skill he possessed, bringing his horse in on the perfect stride.
 
Giving a huge effort, Shinigami dug deep and found his energy reserves. He shot into the air, traveling upwards with his legs kept out of the way of the top line of bricks. His hind legs just cleared the top and they returned to earth with a grunt and soft words of praise.
 
* * *
 
Just one to go,” Duo murmured. “Keep it together Heero. Come on, Shini.”
 
Last one, Heero. One more and you're home free,” Treize muttered.
 
His horse is looking tired,” Zechs noted.
 
I know,” Duo replied. “I just hope and pray that Shini has enough left in the tank to clear the last fence.”
 
Zoe was almost bouncing out of her seat with excitement. Beside her, Michael was doing his best to contain his own enthusiasm. Kyle and Noin were perched on the edges of their seats, eyes never leaving the pair in the ring.
 
Back home in Australia, Trowa and Quatre were similarly perched, only on the edge of the bed. A few miles away, Catherine and Hilde were holding hands and biting their respective lips as they watched the last fence and the courageous gray and his rider. The remainder of Australia that was watching were also holding their breath.
 
Come on, son. Last one. Do it for Zero, do it for Scythe, but most of all, do it for Duo,” Heero breathed.
 
Eying the approaching gate, Shinigami rallied, driving his hocks underneath himself, picking his take off point and then launching into the air.
 
You could have heard a pin drop in the arena. Everyone was watching the horse and rider in the ring as they soared into the air, seemed to hang over the top of the gate and then begin their descent.
 
Front legs unfurled, cannon bones, fetlocks and hooves absorbing the weight of the horse and rider as they bit into the dirt of the arena. Hind legs followed and Shini was pushing away from the jump.
 
Heero gave his horse his head and urged him forward into a gallop. Shini responded and flattened out, zipping through the finish and breaking the electronic beam to stop the clock.
 
As soon as the pair had passed through the finish, the arena erupted into cheers, whistles and applause. The noise was deafening, so much so that the announcer had to call for silence several times before he could be heard.
 
Ladies and gentlemen, that was our first clear round of the competition! Representing Australia, Heero Yuy riding Shinigami, clear round and within the time allowed.”
 
The arena again broke into an uproar.
 
Heero couldn't believe it. He'd gone clear! Clear at an Olympic Games no less! Tears blurred his vision as he did his best to slow the gray and find the exit. He rained pats down on Shini's neck and shoulders, praising the stallion for all his efforts. The exit came into sight and with the cheers of the crowd still sounding in his ears, he trotted out and into the collecting ring where he knew his lover would soon join him.
 
* * *
 
As Heero crossed the finish, Duo slumped in his seat. All his energy was drained and he was exhausted, physically and emotionally. The commentator announced Heero's clear round and all the emotion he'd held back washed over Duo, threatening to drown him.
 
He couldn't help it.
 
He began to cry.
 
Noticing the tears starting to track down Duo's cheeks, Zechs began to panic a bit. “You okay, Duo?” he asked, unsure of what to do for the other man.
 
Yeah,” Duo replied, smiling through his tears. He reached a hand up to brush them away. “Sorry, I can't seem to stop,” he apologized.
 
There's no need to apologize,” said Treize, joining in the conversation. “I'd say it's quite the natural reaction.”
 
I'm just so happy for him. He's worked damn hard over the years to get here, suffered set back after set back and now he's here and shown the rest of the world just how bloody good he and his horse are...” Duo trailed off as his voice began to choke him.
 
Treize smiled, a warm, genuine from the heart smile. “I know exactly what you're trying to say, Duo and believe me when I say I feel exactly the same way. He deserves this.”
 
Thanks.”
 
Can I ask a question?” Zechs piped up.
 
Both men turned to the blonde.
 
What are we doing still sitting here? Surely we should be outside congratulating Heero?”
 
Shit!” Duo jumped up from his seat and bounding over and around other peoples' legs, made his way at a gallop along the aisle and down the stairs to the outside collecting ring.
 
Treize snickered and then got up, Zechs, Noin and the rest of the group all following along to congratulate Heero.
 
* * *
 
Duo slowed his run to a fast walk as he approached the collecting ring area, his eyes scanning around for his lover and horse. He spotted Heero to the side and made his way as quickly as he could to the rider.
 
Heero had brought Shinigami to a halt and dismounted. Patting the gray neck, he wiped at the tears in his eyes before finding a carrot inside his pocket and feeding it to the stallion. “You were wonderful out there, Shini. Thank you.” Heero buried his face in the horse's mane for a moment, the lump in his throat and tears in his eyes not going anywhere any time soon.
 
Shinigami crunched the carrot happily. He was feeling quite pleased with himself. He knew he'd been good, his master's praise, the pats and now the carrots all told him that. He could sense his master's joy too and he rubbed his head against his master's back as his master currently had his face buried in his mane.
 
Heero!”
 
Hearing his name, Heero pulled away from his horse and turned around. He had barely a second to gather his wits before he was grabbed in a bear hug and almost swept off the ground.
 
Duo couldn't help himself and grabbed his lover in his arms, hugging the life out of him. He did manage to refrain from kissing Heero though. “Congratulations, Heero! You did it, you rode a clear round!”
 
Looking into the sparkling violet eyes of his lover, Heero felt a fresh wave of joy hit him. “It was all Shinigami,” he replied.
 
Bullshit! I know Shinigami was great, in fact, he was fantastic, but he couldn't have done it without you. I'm so proud of you both!” Duo couldn't help the excitement, his eyes were still leaking tears of joy and his heart felt like it would burst with the love and pride he felt for his lover.
 
Heero smiled. “He was a good boy, wasn't he?”
 
Duo nodded enthusiastically. “I think he deserves a treat for all that hard work.” Duo fished in his pocket and brought out several carrot slices. Patting the gray neck, Duo began to feed the horse his favorite treat. “You were such a good boy, Shini. Your dad will be so proud of you, and Scythe too.”
 
Whilst Duo was praising the gray, the rest of the group arrived to offer their congratulations. Both Zoe and Noin hugged Heero and gave him a kiss to the cheek; much to Heero's embarrassment. Michael, Kyle, Andrew and Joe shook his hand, Zechs gave him a clap to the back and Treize pulled him into a one armed hug.
 
You were great out there, Heero,” Treize praised.
 
Thanks, but it was all Shinigami.”
 
He's a lovely horse, Heero, but you rode him so well.”
 
I learnt from the best.” Heero gave his boss and mentor a smile.
 
I've been honored to have such a talented pupil. It's been a pleasure to teach and work with you, Heero.”
 
What happened at jump seven?” Noin said, bringing the moment between the two riders to an end.
 
Heero explained about his turning a touch too sharp and Noin discussed it with him for a few moments. Happy with the result of her discussion, Noin left them to it, going back to the arena to continue to watch the remaining riders, stating she would be back out again soon to assist Treize in his warm up.
 
Having chatted for a short while, the other three riders picking Heero's brain for any information on the course and the height changes, Zoe, Michael, Kyle and Andrew went back into the arena to continue to watch the rest of the number four riders go through. Treize, Zechs and Joe remained with Heero and Duo, Duo having loosened Shinigami's girth, run the stirrups up and walked the horse around to cool off whilst the others were all discussing the course.
 
The five all walked back to the stables together, Heero on cloud nine and still finding it hard to believe he'd actually gone clear. As they reached the stables, Duo's cell went off and he grabbed for it.
 
Doctor Maxwell speaking.”
 
Heero turned to look at his lover and took Shini's reins from him, leading the gray into his stable whilst Duo took the call. Idly he wondered who was calling. He had his answer a moment later.
 
Quat, Tro! It's good to hear your voices.”
 
Smiling to himself, Heero began to remove Shini's saddle whilst Duo chatted to their friends on the cell. He was about to remove the bridle when Duo grabbed his arm.
 
Here he is, Quatre, you can tell him yourself.” Duo shoved the cell at Heero. “It's Trowa and Quatre, they want to congratulate you. I'll take care of Shini for you.”
 
Thanks.” Heero took the cell. “Quatre, Trowa,” he began.
 
Heero! Congratulations to you both,” the blonde enthused. “You rode wonderfully and my nephew was so good.”
 
Heero chuckled to himself. “Thank you. It's still sinking in.”
 
Duo listened with half an ear to the conversation as he brushed Shini down and rugged him up. Once the stallion was comfortable, Duo exited the stable to wait for Heero to finish the call. He wanted to check the gray over, but he needed Heero to hold him so he could.
 
Moments later Heero had finished and handed the cell back. “Thanks, Duo. It was nice of them to call.”
 
Somehow I can't see Quat waiting until we get back to congratulate you. He's quite possessive when it comes to Shinigami.”
 
Yeah, he is, isn't he?” Heero snickered.
 
If I know Quat, he'll have a truck load of carrots delivered when we get back.”
 
Heero paled. “He wouldn't?”
 
Snickering, Duo gave his lover a grin. “Nah, maybe not a truck load, but I'll bet he does send a huge bag of the things.”
 
Heero relaxed again “You want to check him over now?”
 
Yes, please.”
 
Heero held the stallion for Duo to do his check, his mind still processing his clear round.
 
Duo was quick but thorough in his check. He felt over the legs, checked heart and breathing rates, then had Heero trot the stallion out so he could determine if there was any soreness anywhere.
 
Well? Is he okay?” Heero asked as he put the horse back in his stable.
 
Perfectly sound and not a mark on him. I can't detect any heat or swelling anywhere either. I was a little worried about his legs, mainly because of that vertical jump you both did, but they're fine.”
 
Good.”
 
All okay?” asked Treize as he passed the stable on his way to fetching Romeo's saddle.
 
He's fine. Everything is normal that I can tell,” Duo replied.
 
Then that's great news. I was worried for a moment there that he might have done some muscle damage.”
 
He's fine, Heero so don't worry.” Glancing around and noting there wasn't anyone close Duo pulled the rider deeper into the stable where he gave him a quick kiss. “God I love you.”
 
Love you too,” Heero responded.
 
Boy are we gonna celebrate tonight.”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...