Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ chapter 97 ( Chapter 97 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 97
 
Keeping Shinigami on the move whilst they waited for their turn to jump, Heero took a good look around to see if he could spot the other two riders. He saw Arnold over to one side trotting his horse around, the pair were still looking very fit despite their earlier round against himself.
 
There's John,” Zoe muttered from Heero's side where she'd materialized.
 
Glancing across in the direction Zoe nodded, Heero noted the American walking his horse around. They looked cool, calm and confident.
 
It won't be an easy round, these guys are just as hungry as we are for the gold. You stopped the British team in the last round, Heero. You can bet that both men will be out for clears and to redeem themselves.”
 
Heero knew Zoe was right. He turned to the woman beside him and smiled. “Then we will just have to give it everything we've got and make sure we beat them, won't we?”
 
Right on, Heero!” Zoe fired back, a broad smile on her face.
 
Duo appeared to bring the pair up to date with the scores as they were at that point. Of the four riders that had finished with eight penalties after their first two rounds, three had added another eight faults to their totals and one from New Zealand had added four.
 
The six faulter is in jumping now,” Duo informed.
 
There came the sounds of groaning from inside the arena.
 
I'd say he's just made some more faults too.”
 
The fact was confirmed when a couple of minutes later, the British rider exited the arena and rode past to where the rest of his team and support crew waited to inform his fellow riders that he'd added another four faults to his total.
 
The steward began to motion for the four remaining riders to come over to him. Heero and Zoe collected up their reins and walked their horses across the warm up area to where the steward waited, Duo following along on Heero's other side. John and Arnold also rode over.
 
They are just giving the arena a quick rake over,” the steward told them. “Once the all clear is given I will call for you in the following order: Arnold Penn from the UK, you're up first. John Burrow from the United States; you're second.” The steward turned to Heero and Zoe. “Zoe Rundell from Australia, you're third and Heero Yuy, also from Australia, you will be last.”
 
I see they're sticking with the country draw and rider order for the round,” Duo commented.
 
Makes sense,” Zoe replied and then her face lit up as Michael appeared beside her.
 
Arnold Penn?” the steward called.
 
Arnold rode over.
 
In you go and good luck.”
 
Thank you.” Arnold collected his horse together and rode for the arena entry. Behind him, the other three competitors also wished him good luck.
 
Arnold rode a very precise course, giving his horse as much room as possible between the jumps to regain impulsion. They sailed over the first four jumps and were on line for the double. They cleared part A, landed and took two strides before launching into the air again and over part B.
 
Landing safely, Arnold began to ride his horse together for jump six; the wall.
 
Jigsaw was getting tired. He'd jumped a round earlier which had been against the clock. Now he was finding his energy reserves were starting to run a little low. He did his best to bring his hind quarters back underneath himself and gamely took the wall.
 
Hind fetlocks scraped the top row of bricks, pushing a couple slightly out of alignment, but they didn't fall.
 
Arnold could feel his horse was struggling and did his best to help the animal all he could. Once they were safely back on the ground, he kept a light contact with the horse's mouth whilst driving the stallion forward. The water was next and he needed speed to clear it.
 
Spotting the water up ahead, Jigsaw knew what was coming and lengthened out his stride. Traveling at a good hand gallop, the stallion flattened out. Dirt spattered out behind him as the skewbald lunched himself across the water, front legs reaching for the opposite bank and dry ground.
 
All eyes watched the steward and his little flag.
 
The opposite bank was reached, Jigsaw's front hooves biting into the soft sand and moving to allow the hind hooves to follow. The off hind landed in the dirt - the left hind caught the edge of the water and the steward raised his flag.
 
Hearing the groan go up from the crowd, Arnold knew he'd just added four penalties to his existing score. He couldn't afford any further penalties and shoved the mistake to the back of his mind. Sitting deep into his saddle, Arnold used his seat and leg to drive the stallion back together, build up the energy and put them on track for jump eight.
 
Somehow the tired stallion got over the oxer and the hedge that followed. He was rapidly running out of energy and his rider knew it. Arnold did his best to nurse the horse along, keeping as much of his weight out of the saddle as possible, keeping his horse balanced and doing all he could to retain the impulsion he would need in his mount to clear the final jump.
 
The triple loomed ahead, a rising of three poles that seemed to be enormous. In fact, it was set at the maximum height allowed: a full two meters.
 
Last one,” Arnold told his horse before he set his eye on the jump and rode with all he had at it.
 
Jigsaw responded, sensing this was the last fence he had to jump and he gave it everything he had. Hind legs strained as they propelled the body up and forward, muscles, ligaments and tendons all stretched, pulled and worked together to provide the energy and lift the horse needed.
 
The brown and white hide was dark with sweat, the lights of the arena glistening on the horse's coat. The stallion appeared to hang in mid air, right over the center of the triple before the front legs unfurled and the body started to return to earth.
 
The angle was a little sharper than Arnold would have liked and the landing jarred him a touch, but he could cope with that. They were over and hadn't knocked anything down. The finish lay straight ahead, Arnold giving his horse his head and riding flat out for the finish flags.
 
They passed through and Arnold began to bring his horse back to hand.
 
Four faults for Arnold Penn on Jigsaw!” the commentator announced.
 
The arena erupted into the usual applause and cheering for the local hero.
 
Outside the arena, the rest of the riders offered their commiserations to the British rider. It was a hard blow to score another four faults and showed just how difficult the course could be - especially when your horse was tired from jumping earlier.
 
That was one advantage Zoe and Lionheart had over the others. She hadn't jumped earlier in the day. Heero and the others had. Heero was well aware of the slight edge Zoe could have over them, but he also had an advantage.
 
He had Duo.
 
Duo had been sure to take excellent care of Shini when they had finished their jump off for the team gold. He'd put extra electrolytes into the stallion's water to replenish the body salts lost through exertion. He'd also insisted that Heero give the stallion a small feed, one that was higher than usual in protein and carbohydrates, It would assist in replacing all the stored muscle energy Shini had expended.
 
A few carrots hadn't hurt either.
 
Aside from the medical assistance, Heero also had Duo's unwavering faith in his abilities - and that meant a lot to Heero. It gave him determination, helped him to believe in himself and his horse. He'd managed to pull off a gold medal round before with Duo's support; there was no reason why he couldn't do the same again.
 
John is going in,” Duo's voice informed Heero, pulling the rider back from his thoughts.
 
Representing the United States of America; John Burrow on Graduate,” the commentator informed the crowd who duly replied with the usual cheering and clapping.
 
As the bell rang, the arena fell silent, only the steady thump of the horse's hooves could be heard.
 
The pair started out well, clearing the first three jumps with ease. Graduate had recovered well from his earlier jump off for the bronze and was eager to jump again. If anything he appeared to be over eager and his rider was having quite the battle to keep the horse listening to him.
 
He's having quite the ride,” Duo commented from just outside the arena entry where he and Heero had managed to sneak to get a better look.
 
Hai, he is. His horse seems very fresh,” Heero replied.
 
Am I right in saying he will need to slow him down a bit otherwise he will run out of energy when he needs it?”
 
Most definitely.”
 
John was also aware of his horse's exuberance, his arms were beginning to ache with the effort in keeping a firm contact with the stallion's mouth. They cleared jump four and were aiming for the double. Sitting down hard and checking the horse's stride, John managed to get the stallion to steady and listen.
 
They flew over part A, landed and took the two strides before launching into the air again and clearing part B. Upon landing again, it became clear that the horse was still fighting for his head and his rider was equally determined he wouldn't get it.
 
Jump six was cleared with the assistance of lady luck, the horse just managing to skim over the top layer of bricks. John gave the stallion a little more rein and allowed him to stride out as the water jump was next. It also gave John's arms a moment to recover.
 
The stallion shot over the water, landing well out on the other side and keeping all four feet dry. Immediately, John was there, sitting deep and using his seat and hands to bring the stallion back to a more sedate pace. They managed the turn from seven to eight, although it was a little tighter than John would have liked, and Graduate scrambled over it.
 
He's beginning to flatten,” Heero stated.
 
Flatten?” questioned Duo.
 
Yeah, he's wasting his energy in trying to fight his rider so when he comes to jump, there's not enough there to get the height he needs to clear the jump.”
 
Ah, I see.”
 
Graduate was coming into the hedge, a little more settled now. He leapt into the air and brushed through the top of the foliage. It didn't count as a fault as there wasn't anything to dislodge and therefore lower the height of the jump so that was clear too. Only the triple remained between John and a clear round now.
 
The rider concentrated hard, using all his skill to check his horse back and try to have as much impulsion in those hind quarters as he could. The triple was a hard jump, all of the two meters high and with a spread to it as well.
 
Unfortunately, Graduate had wasted a lot of his energy in fighting for his head. They reached their take off point, the hind legs coming right underneath the body, muscles straining as they did their best to launch the horse and rider into the air. John went forward, following the movement of his horse as forelegs tucked up close to the body.
 
The pair arced over the jump, but it was clear to see that they hadn't got quite the spring that Jigsaw had had. As gravity started to pull them earthward, Graduate's forelegs came out to reach for the ground. His belly scraped over the top pole, his hocks catching the same pole as it rolled in the cups and dislodging it further. The pole rocked again and then rolled right out of the cups and crashed to the ground.
 
Duo did his best not to jump for joy or smile too brightly. With both John and Arnold having made four penalties, the odds were looking better and better for Heero and Zoe.
 
Damn!” cursed John as he gathered his reins back up and rode his horse for the finish. He was disappointed in himself and his horse.
 
Four faults for John Burrow of the United States riding Graduate.”
 
As John exited the arena, Heero and the others offered their commiserations to the American rider. Jumping was like that though. One minute you were up there with a fighting chance, next it was all crashing down around your ears. That's what set the equestrian apart from all the other sports. Whereas the other sports were mostly one human against another with equipment being the only factor that could fail, the equestrian also had the added element of the horse - and horses had `off' days too.
 
Zoe Rundell? You''re in next,” the steward announced.
 
Good luck, Zoe,” Heero said.
 
Yeah, go get them, Zoe,” Duo stated with a cheeky grin.
 
Thanks, guys. I'll do my best.”
 
Michael took a private moment with his wife, giving her some last minute advice and then planting a good luck kiss to her lips. “Go show them how we Aussies do things," he said as she rode towards the arena entry.
 
Once Zoe had entered, the three made their way back to the spot they had watched John from, the steward allowing them to remain there as long as they weren't interfering with anyone.
 
Ladies and gentlemen, representing Australia; Zoe Rundell riding Lionheart!”
 
Zoe could swear she could hear the deep sound of Treize's voice over the rest of the cheering and she smiled to herself. Riding to where the judge was sitting, Zoe saluted, gathered her reins and rode for the start.
 
This is a tough one, Lion. We need to keep focused all the way and go clear.”
 
A bay ear flicked back and Lion snorted. He felt good and showed it by putting in a few dancing steps. Zoe laughed and ran a hand down the bay neck.
 
The bell went and Zoe sat down firmly in her saddle. “Come on, boy. Let's show them what we can do, hey?”
 
Lion surged forward, breaking into a good, steady canter and lined up the first jump. They sailed over it easily, the bay enjoying himself. Jump two was soon upon them and Lion cleared that in the same, effortless style. Zoe sat deep after jump two and asked her horse for the sharp turn to jump three, the gate.
 
Lion responded beautifully, changing his leading leg and re-balancing, meeting the gate on the correct stride. His body shot into the air, Zoe staying in perfect time with him, hands light on the reins as they cleared the jump. The hogs back lay ahead and Zoe knew she needed a little more impulsion for this jump. Not only was it quite high, but it was wide as well.
 
She used her seat and leg to drive the stallion forward whilst keeping a steady contact with the horse's mouth to prevent him from 'running on', thus containing the energy in the body and hind quarters where they would need it.
 
Three strides away from the jump and Zoe eased a little on the reins. Two strides and she was coming up and out of her saddle, weight being taken on her knees and out through her feet and stirrups. On the last stride, Zoe went forward, hands sliding up the neck as Lionheart dug hind hooves into the dirt and pushed himself from the ground.
 
The pair flew over the jump, Lion keeping his legs and hooves well clear of all the poles. The head and neck came up as the front legs took the force of the landing, hind end following a split second after and pushing the horse forward and away from the jump.
 
Good boy,” Zoe praised her horse. “Now for the double.”
 
So far, so good,” Michael muttered, his eyes never leaving his wife in the arena.
 
She's doing really well,” Duo agreed.
 
Heero opted to say nothing, his attention fully on the pair in the ring and trying to learn as much as he could from them as they continued on around the course.
 
Steady, Lion, this is a tough one,” Zoe said softly.
 
A bay ear flicked back to listen. Feeling the pressure on the bit in his mouth build a touch, Lion slowed his pace.
 
Continuing to check her horse, Zoe built the impulsion up, allowing the stallion to move forward, but still retain the energy.
 
The double lay ahead, Zoe concentrating hard and letting the horse go at the last minute.
 
Lion responded beautifully, gathering himself together and surging into the air over part A. He landed clean on the other side, took two strides and then was airborne again. The extra height and width didn't cause him any problems, thanks to his mistress having steadied and built the energy as he approached.
 
The pair landed safely over part B, Michael letting go a loud sigh of relief.
 
You really should remember to breathe,” Duo told the man.
 
Michael gave him a weak smile in return.
 
Patting the man on the back, Duo offered a sympathetic smile of his own. “It's never easy being the support crew; but you wouldn't have it any other way either.”
 
How true,” Michael returned.
 
Feeling quite smug with himself, Lion cantered on towards the wall. He was still full of going, feeling quite fit and still eager to jump. Spotting the jump ahead, Lion began to lengthen out his stride in accordance with the aids he was getting from his mistress.
 
Red bricks flashed beneath the bay belly, the top row remaining in place as Lion made sure to clear the wall. Once his hooves were back on solid ground Zoe was urging the stallion forward, giving him rein to stretch out. Lion responded, flattening his body as he built up the speed.
 
Not too fast, Zoe or you won't get him back to hand quick enough for the next jump,” Heero muttered to himself.
 
Zoe knew what she was doing though and steadied her horse as they approached the water jump. They needed the speed to clear the width, but she also needed to have her horse come back to hand quickly after the jump if she was to make the quite sharp turn to meet the next jump dead center.
 
Seeing the water shimmering ahead, Lion gave a soft snort. He shoved off the far bank, skimming over the expanse and making sure to land well out on the other side. He cleared the water with a good half a meter to spare.
 
He was making sure to get over that,” Duo snickered.
 
He doesn't care much for water,” Michael replied.
 
I don't think any of them do. You should see Shinigami when you bath him.”
 
Michael raised an eyebrow.
 
He hangs his head and sulks. Then, when he's completely soaked and the suds are really foaming up, he makes sure to shake himself thoroughly and soak you too.”
 
Michael couldn't help it, he laughed.
 
I've taken to bathing him in the crush and wearing just a pair of shorts,” Duo stated with a grin. “It pays to keep a towel handy too - and not for the horse either.”
 
Shaking his head, Michael turned his attention back to the arena where Zoe was doing her best to slow Lionheart down and get him settled for the next jump.
 
Steady up, Lion. This next one is a tough one too and you will need your energy,” Zoe growled and sat down even harder in her saddle. She shortened her reins, making sure to keep a very firm pull on them until Lion did as she asked and slowed his pace.
 
Although he wanted to continue to gallop on, Lion was well trained and remembered his lessons, giving in to the insistent pressure on his mouth and slowing his pace.
 
The pair cleared jump eight and made a lovely turn to meet jump nine perfectly. They soared over that too and now all that remained was the triple.
 
Everyone everywhere appeared to be holding their breath. Duo, Heero and Michael all had their eyes locked onto the woman and her horse, each silently willing the pair on.
 
Steady, nice and easy, Lion. We don't need any mistakes now,” Zoe cajoled. With all her concentration focused on the triple, Zoe rode her horse at the last fence.
 
Lion responded, bounding up to the jump and giving a huge leap into the air. His forelegs tucked up against his body, back legs following the arc though the air. Poles passed beneath his belly and Lion began to reach out with his front legs for the fast approaching ground. He grunted softly as the weight was borne by those fine legs, the hind ones landing a split second later and pushing him away from the jump.
 
Not waiting to hear if anything fell or not, Zoe aimed for the finish flags and urged Lion into a gallop. The bay surged forward, body flattening, ears back as he charged between the flags. The moment he was safely through, the crowd went wild.
 
Clear round for Zoe Rundell and Lionheart for Australia!”
 
As Zoe came out of the arena, Heero, Duo and Michael were all waiting for her to offer their congratulations. Zoe was so happy, the tears were wet on her cheeks and the smile ran from ear to ear. “Wasn't he a good boy?!” she said as she patted Lion.
 
He was great and so were you,” Michael stated as he grabbed his wife around the waist when she dismounted, planting a firm kiss to her lips as well.
 
That was a fantastic round, Zoe,” Heero offered and then blushed as Zoe was kissed soundly by her husband. He looked away only to have Duo grinning at him. “What?”
 
The gauntlet has been thrown, Heero. You know you're going to have to produce another clear round or never live it down, don't you?” Duo raised an eyebrow.
 
Heero groaned.
 
What's wrong, Heero? Don't think you can do it?” Zoe teased. She'd heard the conversation and couldn't resist adding her own two cents to the mix.
 
Zoe's words hit the spot they'd been intended for. Heero straightened himself up, set his jaw and turned to look at Zoe. “Of course I can do it,” he snorted. Turning to Duo, he continued. “Just make sure you have plenty of carrots waiting for Shini, he's going to deserve them.”
 
Attaboy, Heero. You go out there and show them all that the team gold wasn't a fluke,” Duo encouraged.
 
Heero Yuy?” the steward called.
 
I'm here.”
 
You're in.”
 
Thank you.” Heero collected his reins and prepared to enter the arena.
 
Good luck, Heero. You'll be just fine.” Duo gave his lover a warm smile. “Love you,” he whispered.
 
I'll be back soon. Love you too,” Heero returned in a low tone.
 
Choruses of `good luck' wishes followed Heero as he rode down the short tunnel and into the arena.
 
Our final rider for this evening in the individual competition. Representing Australia; Heero Yuy riding Shinigami!”
 
The cheers went up from the crowd, Heero blushing slightly with all the attention. He ran a hand along Shinigami's neck and spoke softly to the stallion. “I know you're probably still a little tired from jumping earlier, but I need you to give me all you can for this round, Shini. It's an important one.”
 
The gray snorted and tossed his head. He danced a little too, just to show his master how ready and fit he was for this round of jumps.
 
Saluting the judge, Heero rode towards the start flags. The bell rang, Heero sat down firm in his saddle, set his jaw and rode the stallion forward and through the flags.
 
Gray ears cocked as Shini spotted the first jump. He lengthened out his stride and took the jump easily, clearing it with a few inches to spare. Cantering away from the jump, he was eager for the next and let his master know by throwing in a small buck.
 
Steady, Shini,” Heero chastised. “There's a few more jumps to go yet so I wouldn't go wasting my energy if I were you.” Taking a slightly firmer hold of the reins, Heero rode the stallion forward and didn't give him the chance to try and buck again.
 
Jump two appeared before them and Shini took it in his usual, effortless style. Once his hooves were on the ground again, Heero was there with his seat and leg, pushing the stallion around in a turn to the right. Maintaining the contact with Shini's mouth, Heero drove the gray together, keeping the impulsion whilst making the turn. The gate lay ahead and Heero was determined to have his horse balanced and with enough energy to clear it.
 
Gathering himself together, Shini launched into the air and cleared the gate. He was enjoying himself.
 
That's it, Heero. Keep him together and going forward,” Duo muttered under his breath. He wanted Heero to go clear so badly and was practically willing the pair on. Beside him, Michael and Zoe were also watching with baited breath. Both just as keen as Duo for Heero to go clear.
 
Steady,” Heero soothed and sat down harder in his saddle. Shini was pulling and wanting his head.
 
The hogs back was next, Heero keeping his seat and leg against the gray, slowing the pace a touch and then riding the horse forward in the last three strides.
 
* * *
 
Back in Australia, Catherine and Hilde were watching the telecast in Duo's lounge room, Trowa and Quatre were with them. Having watched the team jump off earlier that morning at Quatre's the four had gone about their work day and decided to watch the individual jumping at Duo's.
 
It was the early hours of the morning and Hilde had consults first thing so Catherine had thought it best if Hilde stayed with her at Duo's, then she could at least have a little bit of a lie in before having to work. With the time difference between the two countries and the times the telecast was on, the four had been pretty much burning the candle at both ends, working hard during the day and catching a nap in the evening before getting up again to watch the telecast in the wee hours of the morn.
 
Despite being tired, none of the four would have had it any other way.
 
Catherine and Hilde sat on the couch, curled up against each other. Smokey was snuggled against Catherine's side, the woman absently stroking the bundle of gray fur as she watched the action on the screen. Trowa and Quatre were sharing an armchair; Quatre sitting in Trowa's lap with his head pillowed on the taller man's shoulder.
 
All four were riveted to the screen. The telecast hadn't shown a lot of the rounds, mainly highlights; but now that the final four were on, they had shown more of their rounds and all of Zoe's. All four secretly hoped that Heero would do well and add to his medal success from earlier.
 
* * *
 
Gray hide drew taut over muscles that propelled the body over the jump, Shinigami grunting as he landed over the hogs back and collected himself together. He felt his master's weight shift in the saddle and shortened his stride. He could see another jump ahead but his master was asking him to go around it. Shini obeyed.
 
Heero had one eye on the double and one eye on where he was going. He passed around jump nine and asked Shini to turn left, the track he'd followed bringing him in just right for the double. Keeping the contact firm on the reins, he rode his horse together, pushing hard in the last three strides.
 
The stallion lengthened a touch and then gathered himself for the take off. Hind quarters pushed him into the air, front legs tucking up against his body and out of the way as they cleared part A. Landing, the gray took another two strides and then launched into the air again. Part B was wide and Shini stretched for the distance, twisting his hind end to make sure he didn't touch any of the poles with any part of his body. They landed clean over part B and cantered away towards jump six.
 
Breathe, Duo, breathe,” Zoe snickered as she watched the vet who seemed to have forgotten how to.
 
Duo drew in a lung full of air and exhaled slowly. “It's all too nerve wracking,” he replied by way of explanation.
 
I agree with you there. It was much easier when I was competing than being on the side lines and playing groom,” Michael put in.
 
I think I'm gonna need a holiday once all this is over,” Duo moaned.
 
I've heard Tahiti is nice.” Michael looked at the twin stares and shrugged. “Well, that's what I was told. Sheesh, I'll keep my mouth shut next time.”
 
Duo and Zoe exchanged snickers behind Michael's back.
 
Having cleared the double, Shini made short work of the wall and was gathering speed as he headed for the water jump, gray legs flashed beneath the body, the longer stride eating up the ground as the stallion bore down on the water.
 
Heero went forward in his saddle as Shinigami launched from the one side of the water, skimming over the expanse and reaching the dry ground on the other side. The steward's flag remained by his side, a look of disappointment on his face.
 
Easy, Shini,” Heero muttered as he tried to slow the stallion down. The horse had enjoyed that moment of 'freedom' and wanted to keep going. Reins shortened even more as Heero dropped his weight down into the saddle and did his best to collect the animal up.
 
Although he didn't want to, Shini listened and slowed his pace. They made a sweeping turn and met the oxer in the center. Shinigami made it look easy, sailing over the top and landing with his ears still pricked.
 
Good boy. Only two more to go.” Shortening his right rein and applying his left leg, Heero got his horse to turn to the right and then re-balance for jump nine. He could feel the stallion starting to tire a little and wasn't surprised. This was a shorter course, but Shini had already jumped once that day and over a tougher course and against the clock too - he was bound to be feeling tired now.
 
The hedge was cleared and Shinigami continued to canter on. Ahead the triple sparkled under the lights of the arena. Three poles rising up - three poles between Heero and another clear round.
 
Everything faded into the background, Heero fixated completely on the triple ahead. He gave a little rein, let the stallion stride out a touch more and began to rise in his saddle. He came further forward, weight balanced on his knees as his hands gave to allow the gray to stretch out his head and neck. He felt the power surge through those hind quarters as they pushed the horse and his rider into the air and over the jump.
 
And then they were coming back to earth, body automatically returning to sit in the saddle as eyes sought the finish flags. Pushing his legs hard against Shini's sides, Heero encouraged the gray to gallop for the finish.
 
A cheer went up from the crowd as Heero and Shinigami broke through the finish. In the stands, the rest of the Australian team were going wild. Down by the arena, Zoe and Michael were grinning from ear to ear. Duo was using the railing to hold himself up as his legs threatened to give out on him.
 
Clear round for Heero Yuy and Shinigami for Australia,” the commentator cheered. For a few moments he was drowned out by the applause. Then the noise abated enough for him to be heard again.
 
Ladies and gentlemen, we will be having a jump off against the clock for the individual gold medal between Zoe Rundell and Heero Yuy - both representing Australia!”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...