Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 98 ( Chapter 98 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 98
 
The arena erupted into cheers, applause and whistles, completely drowning out anything else the commentator may have been trying to say. After a few minutes, the noise quieted enough for the commentator to be able to make himself heard again.
 
“Ladies and Gentlemen, the jump off for the Gold medal and also the Bronze medal will take place tomorrow morning at nine o'clock. The medal presentation ceremony will take place not long after. Thank you everyone and good luck to all the competitors.”
 
With the announcement made, the spectators began to leave. The Australian contingent were all out of their seats and aiming for the collecting ring area to congratulate Heero and Zoe on their respective performances. Noin was almost in tears, she was so proud of them both. Never before in all her years as an international coach had she had this happen. Two of her team members tied for the gold medal.
 
Once all the rest of the team had given their congratulations, Noin stepped forward and took the pair aside to speak with them. Having told them both how happy she was for them, she arranged to have a warm up session with them both at seven-thirty the following morning.
 
The excitement and pressure of the day was finally catching up with both Heero and Zoe and the pair announced they were heading back to the stables to put their horses away for the evening.
 
It was a very jubilant group that made their way back to the stabling area.
 
* * *
 
Everything is fine with Shinigami,” Duo announced as he completed his check of the stallion. Heero breathed a sigh of relief and led the gray into his stable and waiting feed. Duo handed over the electrolytes for Heero to put in Shini's water and moved on to check Lionheart.
 
Experienced hands felt carefully over the ligaments and tendons of Lion's front leg. Duo was being very thorough in his check of the stallion after the incident with the slight lameness the day before. He was pleased and relieved to find nothing at all amiss with the stallion and gave Zoe the all clear along with the usual electrolytes.
 
“How are they all, Doctor Maxwell?” Noin asked a she appeared beside Duo.
 
“All horses are fit, sound and in excellent health,” Duo replied.
 
“That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you.”
 
“You're welcome.”
 
Noin turned to look at her team who had gathered outside their respective horse's stable. “Treize, Kyle, both of you rode excellent rounds and I'm sure you will both have moved up in the final placings. You should both be proud of yourselves and your horses; I know I am.”
 
Treize and Kyle smiled and blushed a little at the praise.
 
“Zoe, Heero. I will meet you both in the warm up area at seven-thirty in the morning for a warm up session before we walk the jump off course.”
 
Zoe and Heero nodded.
 
“Now, if everyone has finished settling their horses, let's all get back to the village for some dinner. Treize, you, Kyle and your grooms can celebrate if you wish. Zoe and Heero I'd suggest you get a good nights sleep and save your celebrations until tomorrow.”
 
“With all due respect, Miss Noin, I'd rather wait until tomorrow and celebrate as a team,” Treize stated.
 
“Hear, hear,” Kyle said. “We came into these Olympics as a team and it's only right we should celebrate all together as a team.”
 
Noin smiled. “I can live with that.”
 
* * *
 
“Nervous?” Duo asked as he slipped under the covers next to his lover and turned of the side lamp.
 
Heero pulled his lover into his arms. “Yeah, I am.”
 
“Understandable. But what's the worst that can happen?” Duo snuggled deeper into the strong embrace.
 
“I finish with the silver?”
 
Duo chuckled. “Think positive, Heero. You won the team gold, now you're going to go back out there tomorrow and win the individual gold. Not that there's anything wrong with silver, it's just that gold seems to have that bit better sparkle to it.”
 
Heero snorted softly. “Maybe you should go out there and ride it then.”
 
“I think I'd rather have you riding me.”
 
“Come to think of it, I do need to work on my bareback riding skills.”
 
“Oh, baby,” Duo groaned.
 
Heero wriggled around in the bed, avoiding the `hump' as best he could and slid a thumb underneath the elastic of Duo's boxers. Tugging gently, he pulled the garment from his lover's hips, down his long legs and off, tossing them to the floor.
 
With Duo now bare to him, Heero began to rub his palm along the sensitive inner thigh, slowly working his way up to the juncture of Duo's legs.
 
The tender caresses were driving Duo's libido wild. He tingled from head to toe, the heat pooling steadily in his groin and he moaned in appreciation.
 
Heero's fingers ran through the wiry hair at Duo's groin and around to stroke over his heavy balls. He ran his thumb lightly along the sensitive perineum and then curled his fingers around the half hard cock, stroking it to full attention.
 
Violet eyes fluttered shut as his body relaxed and responded to the touches. After a couple of minutes, Duo's own hands decided they wanted to play too and he shifted slightly to allow his hands to locate Heero's hips and tug at the briefs.
 
Getting the hint, Heero released his prize for the moment and assisted the vet in removing his underwear.
 
“Much better,” Duo approved and then let his hands begin their journey of discovery. Fingers mapped out the contours of Heero's back, sliding lower until they reached the gentle rise of golden buttocks. He kneaded the twin globes, eliciting moans of pleasure from the rider.
 
With Duo massaging his ass, Heero returned to his own pleasuring of Duo's cock. He was lucky and had achieved release earlier in the day, but Duo hadn't and had suffered for the remainder of the day. Heero fully intended to make things up to his lover; starting by worshiping the vet's delicious erection.
 
With skilled fingers teasing and tormenting his length, Duo found it hard to concentrate on his own pleasuring of Heero. Somehow he managed to locate the lube and squeeze a generous amount onto his fingers. Once the slippery gel was coating all four digits, Duo brought his hand back to Heero's rear and worked his way between the cheeks to run teasingly along the crevice. He found the tight entrance and rubbed circles around it.
 
Soft moans escaped without permission, Heero's eyes closing as he savored the gentle touches. He was always sensitive around his ass and Duo knew each spot intimately, using that knowledge to drive Heero wild.
 
A slick digit pushed steadily in, taking its time to penetrate the warm passage. Once it was all the way inside, Duo began to work it around, stroking the moist walls and loosening the tight rings of muscle. As the muscles softened, Duo added a second and then a third finger.
 
Pretty soon Duo was working the fingers in and out easily, Heero's anus having relaxed more than enough to permit the intrusion. Heero's eyes were closed, the sensations washing over and through him as his body responded to the stimulus. Between his legs his cock lay turgid, leaking a little from the tip and twitching from time to time. When Duo's fingers grazed his prostate, Heero knew he was more than ready.
 
“Lube?” Heero panted and a tube appeared in his line of vision. Grasping it, he pulled the cap off and squirted a generous amount into his palm. Dropping the tube, he closed his hand around the vet's swollen length and spread the gel. Once he was sure Duo was completely coated, he pulled his hand away, wiping the excess off onto the bed sheet.
 
Feeling Heero moving, Duo withdrew his fingers and tossed the bedclothes from their bodies. He sprawled flat on his back, cock jutting proudly from his groin and waited for Heero.
 
The rider took his time, admiring the view and then grasping Duo's erection at the base and holding it still. Swinging his right leg over Duo's thighs, he took his weight on his knees, steadied the cock in his hand and then began to lower himself. The head touched his opening, the ring flexing in anticipation and Heero teased them both for a second. Rubbing the head of Duo's cock against his hole, Duo made some very interesting noises, noises that fired Heero's passion even further. The nerves around his entrance were tingling with anticipation and Heero could wait no longer. He let gravity take its course and sank his weight down onto the rigid length.
 
The head pushed through the resisting muscle, the lube doing its job and easing the movement. Once the head was through, Heero paused for a moment and flexed his muscles around the rigid length.
 
“Do you have to do that?” Duo moaned.
 
“Ah, sorry,” Heero snickered.
 
The burn of entry soon began to wane and Heero allowed himself to sink a little further, his passage opening up and welcoming Duo home. After a couple of minutes, Duo was completely seated inside Heero's channel, the rider resting on top of Duo's thighs and breathing softly as his body adjusted to the invasion.
 
Once he was comfortable, Heero began to raise himself, hissing through his teeth as the slight pain mingled with pleasure. Raising and lowering himself it didn't take long for his body to settle and the minor discomfort was replaced by extreme pleasure.
 
Duo rested his hands on Heero's hips, eyes half closed as he fought to retain some control over his body. He wanted nothing more than to slam inside Heero, thrust long and deep until he shot his load; but that wouldn't be fair to Heero. Aside from the fact that Heero still had to ride another round on the morrow, Duo would never do anything to cause his lover any pain.
 
Carefully he began to move his hands in time with Heero's hips, raising and lowering, gradually gripping harder as they assisted Heero even more. Dark hair began to plaster itself against Heero's forehead, the sweat starting to run freely as each man drove towards the pinnacle.
 
Panting loudly, Duo managed to move one hand and wrap it around Heero's cock. Working on auto pilot, he pumped the organ, squeezing with just the right pressure, strokes long and languid.
 
Tossing his head back, Heero braced his hands against Duo's arms and let himself go. His hips raised and lowered themselves, powerful thigh muscles working to keep the rhythm going. He shifted slightly, the next inward thrust of Duo's cock scraping over his prostate and causing his cock to release a small squirt of precome.
 
“Ah, Uh...” Duo moaned as he felt his orgasm building to the point of no return. Above him, Heero grunted, eyes closed as he concentrated on maintaining his rhythm and reaching his own end.
 
The next inward thrust brushed more firmly against Heero's prostate and the rider felt his release begin to rise. He shuddered as the first waves of pleasure rolled over and through him,a groan of satisfaction leaving his throat as the semen began to leave his cock.
 
The muscles of Heero's passage began a series of contractions, massaging Duo's cock and making it almost impossible for the vet to continue to thrust. He managed another five pushes of his hips before his vision blurred and his climax hit hard.
 
Unable to hold himself up any longer, Heero slumped against Duo and held on tight. The last ripples of his orgasm were washing over him and he could feel Duo's cock pulse inside as he filled Heero with his essence.
 
As his orgasm receded, Duo carefully withdrew from Heero's channel, gently rolling them over to lie on their sides and cuddle close. Feather kisses were pressed against the golden skin of Heero's neck and the rider just lay and enjoyed the feeling of being held and loved.
 
After a few minutes, Duo grunted and shifted, sliding from the bed and padding to the bathroom. He returned with a warm washcloth and proceeded to clean his lover off, tossing the cloth to the floor and rejoining Heero in the bed. Immediately Heero snuggled back into his lover's embrace.
 
“Thank you, Heero. That was wonderful,” Duo murmured and placed a gently kiss to those sweet lips.
 
“Trust me, the pleasure was all mine,” Heero mumbled back. “Need to sleep now.”
 
Duo chuckled and pulled the blankets over them, Heero's head resting in the crook of his shoulder, one arm over his chest and a leg entangled with his own. “Night, Heero. Love you.”
 
“Love you too. Night.”
 
* * *
 
When Duo awoke the following morning he was alone in the bed. He rubbed the sleep from his eyes and glanced at the clock. It was showing five-thirty. He groaned and threw an arm over his eyes. He could hear the shower running and knew where Heero was. Moments later the water shut off and Heero appeared in the doorway wearing nothing but a towel around his slender hips. Duo could just make out the droplets of water that remained on his golden skin and he licked his lips.
 
“Sorry if I woke you,” Heero apologized and made his way across the room to the dresser where he rummaged around and produced a pair of fresh underwear.
 
“It's okay,” Duo yawned.
 
“Look, you might as well stay in bed for a bit, no point in both of us being out at the stables when there's nothing much you can do,” Heero began as he slid the towel off and dried the remaining water from his body. “I'm going to give Shini a light feed and whilst he's eating I'll clean out his stable. I have a warm up practice with Noin at seven-thirty which I'm assuming will go for about half an hour. The course won't be open to walk until eight-thirty and the jump off doesn't start until nine. The other two will be on before Zoe and I so you may as well lie in for a bit and come to the stables around eight.”
 
Whilst Heero was giving his little spiel, Duo was doing his best not to nod back off. A soft smile graced his lips at Heero's obvious care for him and he had to agree, even if he did go to the stables now, there wasn't much he could do other than sit around and probably fall asleep while Heero was warming up.
 
A soft kiss to his lips drew Duo back from the half asleep state he was in and he moaned softly. “Okay, Heero. I'll head for the stables and see you there at eight,” he mumbled.
 
“Sleep, Duo,” Heero chuckled and pressed a last kiss to his lover's lips.
 
“Mmm hmm.” Duo's eyes were closed and sleep tinged the fringes of his mind.
 
Still smiling, Heero reset the alarm clock for seven and picking up his security pass, left the dorm room and his now sleeping lover.
 
* * *
 
“Good boy, Shini,” Heero praised and petted the gray. The stallion had worked very well and Heero was feeling quietly confident.
 
Zoe was also happy with the effort Lionheart had put in. The stallion was fresh and eager, but listened well to Zoe's aids and she was sure they would put in a good round over the jump off course.
 
“Well done, both of you. Your horses are in peak condition and shouldn't have any problems with the course today. Just remember to keep your cool, do the best you can and most of all, enjoy yourselves.” Noin smiled at the pair. “Now, let's get these horses back to the stables and let the grooms take care of them. The course should be open for walking in about fifteen minutes and we want to go over it thoroughly.”
 
“Yes, Miss Noin,” both riders replied and turning their horses, they rode side by side back to the stables.
 
Once back, Duo and Michael both were waiting for their respective charges, Duo wanting to give both horses a quick check over to make certain all was well with them before the jump off. Treize, Zechs and Joe were also present and offered to give Michael and Duo a hand to settle the horses and assist with the vet check.
 
Duo was quick but thorough in his check and found nothing at all amiss with either stallion, much to everyone's relief. Noin disappeared with Heero and Zoe to walk the course leaving the rest of them to finish off brushing the stallions down and getting them ready for the jump off.
 
“It's a tough one,” Heero commented as he looked back at the course.
 
“Yeah, I agree with you. I think the horses are going to need to be part kangaroo to get around this without any faults and in a good time,” Zoe stated.
 
Noin laughed. “It's not that hard!”
 
Heero's face took on a thoughtful look as he studied the course again. The course designer had been crafty; one could take the risk and go for a fast time but maybe score a fault or two, or you could take the longer route and know you would go clear but the time would be slow.
 
Heero decided to stick with his gut instinct.
 
Arriving back at the stables, everyone wanted to know what the jump off course was like, which fences were in it and how the riders were planning on `attacking' it.
 
“Jump off is: One, four, five A, five B, nine and ten,” Noin informed them all.
 
Treize gave a low whistle. “Pretty tricky,” he muttered and then stepped a little closer to Heero. “How are you planning on riding it?” he asked, voice low. Although Zoe was also a good friend and fellow team mate, she was also a rival in this case; and it was better not to let your rivals know what you planned on doing.
 
Heero stepped inside Shini's stable, Duo and Treize behind him. Once inside and out of earshot of everyone else, Heero explained how he planned to ride the course.
 
“It's going to be hard, but I plan on turning on the inside of jump three and take four on a sharp angle. If it works out it will bring me in close to the double and save quite a bit of time.”
 
“Shit! That's not going to leave you with many strides before you get to the double,” Treize muttered. “You sure Shinigami will regain enough impulsion to clear it after jumping on a sharp angle?”
 
“I can only hope,” Heero replied with a shrug of his shoulders.
 
Duo was chewing on his bottom lip. “Heero, all I ask is that whatever you do, you and your horse stay safe and come back to me in one piece,” he said softly.
 
Heero moved a little closer tot he vet and whispered. “I promise I will.”
 
“Well, you know your horse better than anyone, Heero and if you think he can pull that off, then go for it. A word of advice though, when you land over part B, turn right, not left.”
 
“Why?” Heero was curious as he had planned on turning left.
 
“Everyone else will be turning left so firstly the ground is going to be quite cut up and not as good for the horse to get a decent grip on. By turning left, your horse will be on the left canter lead and once you cut inside of four to come into ten, you're going to have to change direction and therefore change leading canter leg which will take time. If you turn right after B, your horse is on the correct leading leg and you can come into ten on a slight angle and still be in line with the finish flags. I think it will be a couple of seconds faster than going left.”
 
Heero frowned as he thought about Treize's words. It did make a lot of sense. The track from five B to ten would be straighter than turning left, plus the factor of the canter leads taking up a second or two of time and it seemed logical to turn right. He looked at Treize and nodded. “I see where you're coming from.”
 
“I wish I did,” Duo said with a sigh. “You kinda lost me about six leading legs ago.”
 
Treize laughed. “Don't worry, I'll explain it better when the others are jumping, then you will be able to see it and it should become a bit clearer.”
 
“Thanks, I think.”
 
“Heero? You need to get saddled up and loosen up Shini again. They will be calling for you in about fifteen minutes,” Noin said as she stuck her head over Shini's stable door.
 
“Shit! I'd better move my ass,” Duo muttered. “Some groom I am if I can't have the horse ready.”
 
* * *
 
Joe and Andrew had offered to hold onto Shinigami and Lion so Heero, Zoe, Michael and Duo could all sit inside the stadium and watch the jump off for the bronze medal. It would give both riders an insight into how the course rode, what shortcuts the others took and how they managed with those shortcuts.
 
Having seen both John and Arnold out in the collecting ring, they had offered their best wishes to both riders, and received similar wishes in return.
 
The arena was abuzz with excitement, you could feel it in the air, cut the tension with a knife. Heero felt as if he were sitting on hot coals, his stomach churned and he hoped he wouldn't disgrace himself by being sick. A glance at Zoe told him that his friend was in a similar situation, if the paleness of her skin and the way she kept biting her lower lip was any indication.
 
Silence fell over the arena as Arnold Penn for the United Kingdom rode into the ring. He approached the judge, saluted and collected his horse up. They cantered for the start, the bell rang and then they were through the flags and on course.
 
The skewbald appeared to have recovered well from his jump off against Heero the previous day. His gait was light and full of energy as they approached the first jump. They cleared it and Arnold sat deep, turning the horse and ducking on the inside of jump three. They took four in their stride, not quite on an angle and rode for the double. Jigsaw gave it all he had, clearing part A , landing and then launching into the air again over part B.
 
Heero held his breath waiting to see what Arnold would do. As predicted by Treize, he turned left once his horse was clear of the double. Swinging the horse around, Heero noted the leading canter leg, watched as Jigsaw then changed that leg so he could come into jump ten on the correct stride.
 
The pair approached jump ten, concentration written into every line of Arnold's face. They met the jump perfectly and sailed over it. All eyes seemed to swivel to the electronic timer. The skewbald raced through the finish and stopped the clock.
 
A roar went up from the crowd as Arnold finished with a clear round.
 
“Clear round for Arnold Penn on Jigsaw for the United Kingdom in a time of 31:45 seconds!” came the commentator's voice over the public address system.
 
Once the crowd had settled down a little, the commentator continued. “Our next competitor for the bronze medal jump off is John Burrow riding Graduate for the United States of America.”
 
As John rode into the arena the crowd gave him a warm welcome. He smiled to the spectators and rode to salute the judge.
 
“He looks quite calm,” Heero muttered to Zoe.
 
“Yeah, but looks can be deceiving. I just hope I don't throw up all over the judge when I salute him,” she replied with a wan grin.
 
“Heero snickered. “You feeling the pressure too?”
 
“You could say that.”
 
“What are you two up to?” Duo asked from where he was sitting on Heero's other side.
 
“Nothing, just discussing how inappropriate it would be to throw up all over the judge,” Heero replied with an innocent look on his face.
 
“I'm sorry I asked.”
 
The sound of the bell drew everyone's attention back to the arena and they all fell silent as John began his round.
 
The first jump was cleared just as easily as Jigsaw had done, John collecting his horse up and asking for a sharp turn to bring them on the inside of jump three. The big horse managed the turn okay, but it was obvious he wasn't quite as quick or nimble on his feet as the skewbald was.
 
They managed to clear jump four and went out a little further than Arnold had to approach the double.
 
“Wise move. He knows his horse can't turn as quick as Arnold's as he's such a long striding animal; a bit like Romeo in that way,” Treize informed Duo.
 
Duo frowned. “You think Shini will be able to pull off an angle jump and then the double as it seems to me Heero will be cutting it closer that what Arnold did?”
 
“Shinigami is very quick on his feet and Heero wouldn't attempt it if he didn't think his horse was capable,” Treize advised.
 
Duo had to be content with that.
 
The big bay managed to clear part A, landed and then cleared part B as well. Once they were safely over the double, John turned his horse to the left and rode or the final fence.
 
Heero was watching intently and could see how the left turn seemed to be taking up a little time, although he couldn't really compare it to a right turn as no one had taken that route. He glanced at the clock and back to the pair in the ring. It was going to be close.
 
The big horse bore down on jump ten, shortened his stride a touch and then lengthened out to meet the triple dead center. They soared into the air, flying over the poles and landing clean on the other side. John immediately gave his horse his head and galloped through the finish.
 
The numbers froze on the electronic clock as the beam was broken, everyone in the arena fixed their eyes on those red numbers.
 
“Clear round or John Burrow and Graduate from the United States in a time of 32:01 seconds!”
 
Predictably the spectators went wild.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, Arnold Penn of the United Kingdom has taken the bronze medal!”
 
Duo thought the commentator was going to have a heart attack he seemed so excited. Then again, it was to be expected he supposed as this was the host nation and one of their athletes had just finished in the medals. Idly he wondered if any of the jumping was being telecast back home in Australia and if so, were Trowa and Quatre watching? A nudge to his side halted Duo's mental wanderings and he looked up to see Heero smiling at him.
 
“Time to go get Shini warmed and ready,” he stated.
 
“Right with you, Heero.”
 
* * *
 
“Just take it easy and give Lion a little room, he will do the rest for you, Zoe,” Michael told his wife.
 
Zoe gave him a sickly smile. “Don't worry, we'll be just fine.”
 
“I know you will.”
 
“Good luck, Zoe,” Duo said and gave the woman's calf muscle a squeeze, smiling up at her. “You'll do just great.”
 
“Thanks, Duo.”
 
“Go for it Zoe,” Heero offered. “I know you can do another clear round.”
 
“You bet I will,” Zoe returned. “And I'll be giving you something to chase too.”
 
“You think you can beat me?” Heero teased.
 
“I'm going to give you a run for the gold,” she replied, the determination evident in her voice.
 
“Really? I guess we will just have to see about that.”
 
Zoe snorted and picked up her reins as the steward was calling her over. The subtle teasing had been just what she'd needed to settle her nerves and with a firm look in her eye, she rode towards the steward. Michael, Heero and Duo took off into the stadium to watch, leaving Joe to hold Shinigami.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen. The jump off for the gold medal will now commence. Both riders are representing Australia and the first rider is Zoe Rundell riding Lionheart.”
 
The crowd clapped and cheered as Zoe rode into the arena. Lion looked fresh and eager, his small ears pricked as he trotted between the jumps to where the judge waited.
 
Zoe saluted the judge, turned her horse and rode for the start.
 
Lion could feel the tension in the air and sensed this round was important. His ears flicked back and forth, body finely tuned to the signals he was getting from his mistress and ready to obey.
 
The bell rang and Zoe passed through the start flags to begin her course.
 
Lion pricked his ears as he spotted the first jump. Gathering himself together, he sailed easily over it. As soon as his hooves touched the ground he felt his mistress asking him for a turn and immediately he did so.
 
The pair made the turn on the inside of jump three and were cantering on towards jump four. Lining up the jump, Zoe took a moment to look ahead and pick out her spot to turn for jump five. Lion was on the bit and responding well, drawing his hocks right underneath himself and springing into the air.
 
Landing clean over jump four, Zoe rode ahead, collecting Lion and pushing him together, doing her best to build the impulsion the stallion would need to clear the double with the shortened run up. Having decided she'd traveled far enough, she made a sharp turn and rode at the double.
 
“Shit, that's a tight turn,” Michael said as he watched his wife.
 
“I'm sure she knows what she's doing,” Heero replied.
 
“Lion's a good jumper and Zoe knows him well enough not to ask for more than he can give,” Duo added.
 
“Got any more of those lollipops?” Michael asked as he gave a rueful look at his bitten fingernails.
 
“No problem,” Duo snickered and handed one over.
 
“Steady, Lion,” Zoe said as she gauged their take off point. Holding the impulsion in check, she let the stallion go in the last three strides.
 
The horse soared into the air over part A, powerful muscles driving him up and over the jump. They landed and took a couple of strides before becoming airborne again over part B. The sound of thudding hooves greeted everyone's ears as the pair landed clear over the second element.
 
Heero watched intently to see if Zoe would turn left or right.
 
She turned left.
 
Swinging Lion around, Zoe rode with all she had towards the last jump. She knew she had a good time and could only hope it would be good enough.
 
Lion did a flying change of canter lead as he turned to the right to meet the final jump. Gathering himself together, he pushed off hard from the ground, body arcing up and over the triple, front legs reaching out for the fast approaching ground. He grunted as he landed, hind legs touching down a fraction behind the front.
 
Once she knew they were safely on the ground, Zoe aimed for the finish flags, gave Lion his head and urged the stallion into a gallop.
 
They shot through and stopped the clock.
 
“Ladies and Gentlemen, a clear round for Zoe Rundell and Lionheart in a time of 29:50 seconds!”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...