Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 99 ( Chapter 99 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 99
 
Michael slumped in his seat, the tension bleeding out of him and leaving him exhausted. Beside him the rest of the team were all yelling and cheering as Zoe galloped through the finish and then tried to bring Lion back through the paces to a walk.
 
“She rode a great round,” Heero said and gave Michael a friendly squeeze to the shoulder.
 
“She sure is something,” Duo added with a smile. “You must be really proud of her.”
 
“I am,” Michael replied with a soft smile.
 
“Why are we still sitting here? Michael, you have a wife to congratulate, and Heero has a horse to ride and try to beat a stiff time on,” Duo said and then chuckled as both men suddenly realized what he'd said and scrambled to their feet. He followed behind the pair at a slightly slower pace.
 
* * *
 
The finish flags passed by in a blur, Zoe concentrating on keeping her horse straight and heading directly through those flags. She heard the commentator's voice announce her clear round and the time and she barely managed to contain the whoop of joy.
 
“Good boy, Lion,” she praised and petted the stallion, doing her best to keep her vision clear as the tears of joy began to well in them. Taking a swipe at her eyes, she sat deeper into her saddle and brought the stallion back to a canter and then a trot, locating the exit and riding for it with the cheers and applause still ringing in her ears.
 
Once she was back out in the collecting ring, she was pounced on by her fellow team mates, all wanting to congratulate her.
 
Michael was the first to reach her and all but pulled her from the saddle. “You were fantastic,” he stated and crushed her to him. Without giving her a chance to reply, Michael swooped in and gave her a sound kiss. Breaking for air, the tears were still coursing down her cheeks and the woman pulled back a touch.
 
“Wasn't Lion perfect? He did everything I asked and more. He's such a wonderful horse and he will be getting a ton of sugar cubes tonight,” Zoe enthused and was silenced again as Michael kissed her senseless
 
“Well done, Zoe,” Treize said and gave the woman a hug as she was released from her husband's arms and lips.
 
Zechs, Kyle and Andrew all offered their congratulations too, Zoe accepting them with a blush and continuing to swipe at the tears of happiness.
 
“You were great, Zoe,” Duo said softly as he got his turn to congratulate the woman. He enveloped her in a warm hug and much to her surprise, pressed a kiss to her cheek.
 
“Thank you, Duo,” she replied and touched her cheek.
 
“You certainly threw down the gauntlet,” Heero said as he offered his own congratulations.
 
“Think you're up to the task?” Zoe teased.
 
“More than ready,” Heero replied with a smirk.
 
“Then I suggest you better get mounted up, looks like the steward is calling for you.”
 
“Shit!” Heero spun around to make his way out of the throng of people to where Joe was standing patiently with Shinigami.
 
“No need to rush, Heero,” Joe said as the rider appeared, Duo right behind him. The steward has called for you but you have a few minutes as they're still checking the course over before you jump.”
 
Heero felt a little relief at that and relaxed a touch. He needed to get his mind focused on the course ahead if he wished to beat Zoe. Taking a couple of deep breaths to calm himself, Heero began to get his mind set on the jump off course.
 
Duo took Shinigami from Joe, thanking the other man for looking after the gray. He checked the girth and tightened it a hole. Running his hands down the gray legs, Duo double checked the jumping boots and then pulled the stirrups down the leathers in readiness for Heero to mount.
 
Heero was mentally going through the course, seeing each jump in his mind's eye and replaying the way he intended to jump over in his head. Having watched all three other competitors turn left after the double, he was even more convinced to try what Treize had suggested and turn right. Treize had far more experience than he did when it came to jump offs and Heero didn't doubt for a moment that Treize would have suggested it if he didn't believe it would be the quicker way to go.
 
Seeing his lover engrossed in his thoughts, Duo took the chance to slip Shini a carrot and have a word in the gray's ear. “You be a good boy out there, Shini. Take care of yourself and your master for me. I want you both back safe and sound, preferably with a clear round and a better time than Zoe, but as long as you're both okay at the end of it is all that really matters.”
 
Shini gave the nice human a nudge with his nose, politely asking for another carrot. The tone of the voice told him this was important and that the nice human was a little tense so Shini did his best to reassure that all would be well in the only way he knew how - he nuzzled the nice human and blew softly through his nostrils.
 
Duo chuckled softly and gave the horse another carrot. Petting the gray neck he knew there was nothing more he could do, it was up to Heero and Shinigami to do their best and hopefully come out of all this with another gold medal and all body parts intact - human and equine.
 
Heero now had his mind completely focused on the course and took the reins from Duo. “Thanks,” he said as he checked the girth again and then mounted.
 
“You be careful out there, Heero.”
 
“I will. I plan on celebrating another gold medal with you tonight.” Heero gave the vet a soft smile, his eyes letting Duo know he would be doing whatever he could to win that medal, but not put himself or his horse at risk.
 
“Heero Yuy?” the steward called.
 
“Coming,” Heero replied and then turned to Duo as he picked up his reins. “Love you,” he whispered.
 
“I love you too. Good luck, Heero.” Duo gave Shini one last pat and then stepped back to allow the pair to ride for the steward and the entry to the arena. As Heero rode away, Duo turned and sprinted for the stairway.
 
* * *
 
Sitting back in his seat, Duo gave Zechs a sickly smile. The blonde vet returned the smile with a sympathetic one of his own. Treize sat back to watch, quietly confident that Heero would give Zoe a run for the gold.
 
Zoe and Michael sat on the other side of Treize, Noin next to them and Kyle and Andrew on the other end. Joe had offered to remain with Lion so Zoe and Michael could both watch.
 
“Ladies and Gentlemen. Our final rider, jumping against the clock for the gold medal is Heero Yuy riding Shinigami, from Australia.”
 
The applause once again broke out in the arena as Heero rode in. He looked quietly confident, the gray beneath him moving with ease.
 
Heero rode to where the judge was sitting and saluted. Collecting his reins, he pushed everything from his mind and sent Shinigami into a trot. The gray tossed his head and gave a snort.
 
“This is a tough one, Shini. We need to go clear and fast, Zoe's set us a pretty stiff time to beat. Listen to me, boy and give me all you can. Make your sire proud.” Heero ran a hand down the gray neck. “Make Duo proud.”
 
The bell rang and Heero was heading for the start.
 
In the stands, Duo was trying to find a fingernail that he hadn't already bitten to the quick.
 
Pushing his legs against Shinigami's sides, Heero urged the stallion into a canter and through the flags. The beam broke and they were on their way.
 
* * *
 
Back in Australia, Trowa and Quatre were watching the telecast of the showjumping. The television station covering the games had decided to show the jump off for the individual gold. Quatre reckoned it was only because there were two Australians in it.
 
Trowa wondered if it had anything to do with Quatre's constant calling (harassing) of the television station and their lack of equestrian coverage.
 
Either way, it didn't matter as they were getting to see the jump off live - and at a reasonable hour too! With the jump off scheduled for nine o'clock London time, it was eight in the evening back in New South Wales.
 
The coverage of the jumping was slightly delayed, starting at eight-thirty and only showing the highlights of the bronze medal rounds.
 
Zoe's round had been shown in full and both men had been on the edge of their seats as they watched the woman ride the course. Although neither was all that experienced when it came to horses and competition, they knew enough from Heero and Duo to understand that Zoe had set a tough act for Heero to follow.
 
Now it was Heero's turn and once again, the pair were on a knife edge hoping and praying their friend would clear the course and have a good time at the end of it.
 
“Wouldn't it be wonderful if Heero won another gold medal?” Quatre stated.
 
“I think Duo will need to get an extension built if he does,” came Trowa's reply.
 
“Huh? Why?”
 
“They will need the extra room to display the winnings.”
 
Quatre snorted and gave Trowa a smack to the arm. “Now you're just being smart.”
 
Snickering, Trowa turned his attention back to the screen.
 
“You know though,” Quatre started, locked in thought. “That's not a bad idea. I wonder what Duo would think about adding on another room. I know they have a couple of cabinets to display all the cups and ribbons Zero and Shinigami have won, but it would be nice to have a sort of trophy room. A room where they could have all the winnings on show along with photographs and such.”
 
“I wish I'd never opened my mouth,” muttered Trowa.
 
“You say something?”
 
“Errr... It's back on.”
 
“Ah.”
 
* * *
 
The first jump, a simple set of rails, lay ahead and Shinigami pricked his gray ears as he strode towards it. Heero sat light in his saddle, maintaining a firm contact with the stallion's mouth and keeping the horse from rushing.
 
“Steady,” Heero murmured and gave a little with his hands so Shini could lengthen out a touch.
 
They met the first jump dead on, the gray launching into the air and clearing it with inches to spare. As soon as Shini's hooves were on the ground again, Heero was sitting deep, the reins short and tight, telling the stallion to slow down as Heero's seat and leg asked for a tight turn to the right.
 
Shini obeyed, dropping his haunches and digging deep to make the quick turn.
 
“Shit!” muttered Duo as he watched his lover and the stallion cut sharply inside jump three.
 
Once Shinigami was moving forward again, Heero eyed up jump four and the angle he wished to take it on. Keeping the contact even with the bit in the horse's mouth, Heero made sure to use his seat and leg to keep Shinigami on track.
 
The gray could see the fence ahead, but they weren't approaching it as they usually would. The stallion was a little confused and tried to change his approach, only to have his master firmly insist he stay on his current track. If a horse could mentally shrug, Shini would have done so at that point.
 
Still confused, Shini continued to eye off the jump ahead. Maybe his master wanted to go around it? Okay, the pressure against his sides from his master's leg told him that wasn't what he wanted either.
 
Focused completely on the jump ahead and the angle he wanted, Heero rode with all the skill he possessed at the jump. He would only get one shot at this and he needed to make sure they cleared it. Sending a silent prayer to any god listening, Heero kept his reins short and drove his horse at the jump.
 
“Ah, crap, crap, crap,” Duo moaned. “The angle is going to be too tight. Shini's gonna run out. I can't watch.” He ducked his head, then peered out from between his bangs.
 
Zechs chuckled lightly, then frowned as he noted the state of Duo's fingernails. If the vet chewed on any of them for much longer they would be bleeding. Zechs fished around in his pocket.
 
Shinigami was four strides away from the jump and would lose sight of it in the next stride. He figured his master wanted him to jump it, given the signals he was getting and he would trust his master. He'd jumped fences on angles before, but never this sharp.
 
Heero kept the touch on the reins light as he guided the horse to the jump. Three strides away he started to come forward in his saddle and give a push with his legs. Two strides away and he pushed again, body moving out of the saddle a little more. One stride out and Heero gave a small kick, his hands going forward up the neck as his weight came fully out of the saddle and he balanced with his knees and ankles.
 
The small kick jolted the gray and he gave a snort as he pushed off from the ground. Muscles propelled the gray up, hide taut over the hind quarters and forelegs tucking under the chest.
 
They soared over the jump, the angle just perfect and then came back to earth.
 
“Holy cow!” Zoe exclaimed. “That was some angle.”
 
“Sure was,” Michael agreed.
 
“Well done,” Treize muttered, the sparkle in his eyes bright as he watched his pupil clear the fence.
 
“Is he over it?” Duo asked as he reappeared from under his bangs.
 
“Yes, and it was a perfect jump,” Zechs supplied. Seeing the other vet about to resume his abuse of his fingernails, Zechs got in first. “Here.”
 
“Huh? What's that?” Duo asked.
 
“Chewing gum. You bite those nails any more and you won't have any fingers left, and that means the end of your career as a vet, plus you won't be able to assist Heero with his horses any longer, feed yourself or ...”
 
“I think I get the picture, Zechs,” Duo said in a dry tone as he took the chewing gum. “Thanks.”
 
Zechs gave him a sheepish smile.
 
Unwrapping a piece, Duo popped it into his mouth.
 
Shinigami landed exactly where Heero had wanted and all he needed to do was ride ahead and slightly to the right to put him on track for his turn to the double. He risked a moment to give the gray a quick pat. “Good boy,” he praised.
 
Feeling pleased with himself, Shini cantered on, listening carefully to the signals he was getting from his master.
 
Continuing to ride forward, Heero kept one eye on the jump and one eye on where he was going. He'd picked out the place where he wanted to make his turn and within a few strides it was upon them. Heero dropped his weight and shortened his reins, spinning his horse to the left. Feeling the signals from his rider, Shinigami slowed, brought his hind quarters right underneath and spun around. Ahead of him lay the double, just a scant, six strides away.
 
“Ah, fuck! That's not giving Shini much room,” Duo moaned as he saw how close Heero had made his turn.
 
“Have faith in him, Duo,” Treize muttered. “Shini's a good horse and he can regain his impulsion in that space, otherwise Heero wouldn't have cut it so fine.”
 
“I know you're right, but it still seems very tight to me,” Duo hissed back, keeping his voice as low as possible, not wanting to disturb the concentration of the pair in the arena.
 
“It looks damn tight to me too,” Zechs whispered and popped a piece of gum into his own mouth.
 
Treize gave them both an amused smile.
 
“What?” Zechs asked in a low tone.
 
“You two,” Treize snickered. “You look like a pair of cows chewing their cud.”
 
“The word couch ring a bell? I hope so as you're sleeping on it tonight,” Zechs huffed.
 
“I like cows,” Duo retorted.
 
“So do I,” Treize was quick to put in. “Especially if they have long, blonde manes.”
 
“But, cows don't have... Oh.” Zechs went a subtle shade of red and shut up.
 
Shini had spotted the double and shortened his stride as his master asked. The energy began to build again in his hind end and the stallion fought for his head.
 
Heero came forward in his saddle in the last three strides and let the gray lengthen out. Hind hooves dug into the dirt, forelegs lifting off the ground. Heero made sure to stay forward in his saddle and keep as much weight as possible off Shini's back. They cleared the first element and landed safely. Shini took another two strides and then launched into the air again over part B.
 
He had to stretch a touch as his energy was running out, the sharp turn and following double taking quite a bit out of him. Twisting his hind legs, his hind fetlocks brushed the top pole; enough to have it rock in its cups and make the crowd gasp. But the pole remained where it was and Shinigami landed cleanly on the other side.
 
“Shit! That was lucky,” Zechs said, eyes wide. “If that had fallen it would have been all over, four faults and the silver for Heero.”
 
“You don't have to remind me,” came Duo's quiet voice.
 
“Ah, sorry.”
 
Once all four feet were back on the ground, Heero dropped his weight and pulled back firmly on the reins. Within two strides, Shini had almost come to a complete halt. Leaning to his right Heero applied the aids, the stallion pivoted, responding to the signals. Heero then drove both legs against Shini's sides, the gray immediately bounding forward and back into a strong canter.
 
“Well I'll be,” Zoe murmured. “He's gone right and not left.”
 
“Makes sense now you think about it,” Michael mused. “It could save a second or two.”
 
Treize sat smugly in his seat.
 
With Shinigami on the correct canter lead, all Heero had to do was ride the gray on a gentle, right hand curve for the final jump and then the finish. He didn't dare glance at the clock. Keeping his concentration fixed on the final fence and keeping his horse full of impulsion were far more important right now.
 
Gray ears flicked forward, brown eyes located the jump ahead and Shini sized it up. His stride began to lengthen out as he prepared for the take off.
 
Concentrating solely on the jump ahead, Heero blocked everything else from his mind. His body was poised, ready to follow the movements of his horse, hands light on the reins whilst his mind counted down the strides.
 
One... two... three. Heero gave a nudge with his heels and Shinigami grunted, hind legs drawing under the body. The front legs left the ground, hocks well under and pushing the animal into the air Those forelegs curled against Shini's chest as he moved up and over the jump. Colored poles passed beneath as the hind legs followed the body up and over, taking care not to touch anything at all.
 
As gravity won and began to pull the gray back to earth, the front legs unfurled and stretched forward to reach for the fast approaching ground. They bit deep into the dirt, taking the weight of the stallion and his rider. Heero's body followed the movement, his knees bending as his seat came back into the saddle and he looked ahead for the finish.
 
Hind legs followed the front, pushing the stallion away from the cleared jump and towards the finish flags. Heero's legs were against the gray's sides, urging him forward, hands giving with the reins and only retaining enough contact to steer the gray where he wanted him to go.
 
Shinigami responded perfectly, ears flattening back against his skull as he shot forward. Gray legs pistoned beneath him galloping for the flags and the electronic timer.
 
“It's going to be close,” Treize muttered, eyes flicking from Heero tot he clock and back again.
 
“Too fucking close!” Duo gasped, his face pale as he clutched his braid in one hand and rested the other over his wildly beating heart.
 
Zechs didn't know who to watch. Heero and his gallop for the finish or Duo and his apparent `heart attack'.
 
The entire arena was holding its breath as the pair bolted for the flags, the air was so thick with the tension you could have cut it with a knife.
 
Then Heero was through and the clock stopped.
 
A gasp went up from the crowd as all eyes switched to the electronic timer.
 
28:02
 
“Yes!” Duo screamed and punched the air. The silence was broken.
 
With Duo's sudden yell, the rest of the spectators broke into cheering and yelling, the commentator drowned out as he made his announcement.
 
“Heero Yuy on Shinigami from Australia has finished with a clear round and a time of 28:02 seconds to take the individual gold medal. Ladies and Gentlemen, what a rider! What a horse!!”
 
In the arena, all Heero heard was Duo's yell and he glanced at the clock. 28:02 shone back at him and Heero's face broke into a wide grin. He gave the gray a quick pat, then the actual reality set in. He'd done it. He'd beaten Zoe and won another gold medal.
 
Heero couldn't help it, he broke into tears.
 
Feeling the turmoil in his master, Shini faltered in his gallop and slowed a touch. He was confused. The crowd were all cheering so he knew he'd been good, but his master seemed... off?
 
“It's okay, boy,” Heero said and patted the gray as he regained some of his composure and dropped his weight further into the saddle. He shortened his reins and brought the stallion back to a canter.
 
Wiping the tears from his eyes, Heero let Shinigami canter on around the arena. He waved to the crowd, the grin nearly splitting his face. The tears continued to roll down his cheeks, pats were rained down upon the gray neck in-between waves to the spectators. As he rode past where Duo and the others were sitting, Heero turned to look up and spotted Duo immediately.
 
The vet was on his feet, cheering and clapping loudly. The pride shone in his violet eyes and as he caught Heero's eye, he mouthed “Love you.”
 
Having allowed his horse his moment in a lap of honor, Heero rode for the exit, the applause still ringing in his ears and following him outside.
 
As Heero rode for the exit, Duo was off and running for the stairs. The rest of the group followed along behind.
 
Duo descended the stairs three at a time and would have slid down on the hand rail if it hadn't had a very solid pole at the end. The last thing he needed would be to have that collide with his nether regions. Although given the breakneck speed he was hurtling down the stairs at he just might damage other areas of his anatomy instead.
 
Finally reaching the bottom step, he bolted out through the exit and ran headlong for the collecting ring. He got there just as Heero rode out.
 
Spotting Duo running across to the collecting ring, Heero turned Shinigami and rode towards his lover. Bringing the stallion to a halt, Heero flung himself from the saddle and straight into Duo's arms.
 
“You did it, Heero!” said Duo before he hugged his boyfriend close. He so badly wanted to kiss the rider and even took a glance around to see if the dared to risk it. People were starting to close in on them fast though so Duo would have to be content to wait until later.
 
“Shinigami was fantastic, wasn't he?!” Heero choked out, the tears still running down his face.
 
“He was perfect,” Duo returned, his own tears of joy no longer held in check. “But you, you were just wonderful. God, I love you so much.” Duo pulled Heero back into a fierce embrace and managed to plant a soft kiss to Heero's neck.
 
“Zero would be so proud,” Heero said and felt the lump rise in his throat and the pain pass through his heart.
 
A discreet cough to the side told them they were no longer alone.
 
“The rest of the welcoming committee will be here in thirty seconds,” Treize murmured and the pair reluctantly broke apart.
 
“Thanks, Treize,” Duo whispered.
 
“You're welcome.” Turning, he grabbed Heero and gave the startled rider a warm hug. “Heero, you rode magnificently. I am so proud of you and I'm honored to have you ride in my stable.”
 
Heero blushed. “Thanks, Treize. That suggestion you made certainly paid off. I'm so grateful to you for taking me on as a pupil too. If it hadn't been for you then I don't think I'd be standing here today with the gold medal.”
 
“Nonsense, Heero. You would have made it, you had the determination to succeed and a great horse on which to do it.”
 
The pair turned to look at Shinigami whom Duo was now fussing over.
 
“He's a good horse alright,” Heero said softly as he looked at his gray. Whilst Zero would always be the number one in Heero's heart, Shinigami was a damn close second!
 
“You were fantastic, boy,” Duo said as he covered the stallion with pats. Loosening the gray's girth and running the stirrups up, Duo fished in his pocket and produced a handful of carrots. The gray wuffled happily as he wolfed them down and then began to sniff Duo's pockets for more.
 
“Here you go,” Duo said as he produced more of the orange treats. “You deserve each and every one of them; and more. I'll be buying you a huge bag of them when we get back home to Australia.”
 
The rest of the team arrived then and the congratulations rained down on both Heero and the stallion. Zoe hung back until all but Noin had passed on their wishes and turned to pet the horse and talk amongst themselves. Seeing her chance, Zoe moved forward and smiled at Heero.
 
Heero smiled back and then drew the woman into a strong embrace. “I'm sorry, Zoe,” Heero whispered.
 
“What for?” Zoe asked as she pulled back to look into Heero's eyes.
 
“I know how much you wanted that gold.”
 
“Oh, Heero. I'm quite happy with the silver and you deserve the gold. That was the best round I've ever seen in my life. Honestly, if I had to be beaten by someone, I'm glad it was you. There's no excuses on my part, I did the best I could, Lion did his best too, but we were beaten on the day by a better horse and rider combination. You rode beautifully, Heero and I'm proud to call you not only a fellow competitor, but a very dear friend too.”
 
Heero felt his cheeks heat up again and the tears started to run. “Thank you, Zoe. You're one of the best and I'm proud to call you a dear friend as well.”
 
Sniffling, Zoe pulled away and gave Heero a warm smile before she turned to pat Shinigami and let the gray know what a lovely horse he was.
 
Heero watched the group surrounding his horse, a small smile playing over his lips. Shinigami was lapping up the attention, politely asking every human within muzzle radar to feed him carrots - and getting them too. He felt a presence beside him and turned to see Noin watching him.
 
“Heero,” she began with a smile. “I know everyone has said pretty much everything there is to say, but,” Noin paused for a moment. “It has been both a privilege and an honor to have coached you. You're a very talented rider with an exceptional horse and a skill of getting the best from your horses. I've seen you ride many, varied horses over the years and believe me, you do have something special with them that makes them want to give you all they have. Thank you for allowing me to coach you and giving me the knowledge that I had a bit of a hand in your success.”
 
Heero had to swallow past the lump in his throat again. Dropping his eyes for a moment, he suddenly reached forward and hugged Noin close. “Thank you for believing in me, for sharing your knowledge and expertise, for all you have done for me. I owe you a lot, Noin.”
 
Smiling through her tears of joy, Noin pulled back and stared deep into those cobalt eyes. “I think you've more than repaid me, Heero. Two gold medals, I'd say that was payment in full, wouldn't you?”
 
Heero laughed. “Yeah, I guess we could call it even.”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...