Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ If Tommorow Never Comes ❯ The Best Day ( Epilogue )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
I'm making a return to my very first trilogy, If Tommorow Never Comes. This time it focuses on Heero and Relena's only child growing up and having fun. Told from Heero's POV

Disclaimer:Nothing belongs to me.

The Best Day by vegitoth; Song by George Strait

//We loaded up my old station wagon
With a tent, colon, and sleepin' bags
Some fishin' poles, a cooler of Cokes
Three days before we had to be back
When you're seven, you're in Seventh Heaven
When you're goin' campin' in the wild outdoors
And as we turned off on that old dirt road,
He looked at me and swore//

It came time for that morning. The morning that would permanently seal the bond of a mother, father, and son; it would be the morning that I would take my wife and my ten-year old son for a weekend at our private beach. Our family van was full of blankets, stuff for volleyball, and our personal belongings; I knew it was enough to last us for about three days before we had to get back.

During our first night at the beach, every second of that night proved special to my son when I heard him say "This is the best day of my life. I've been having dreams about us spending time together as a family."

"I know how you feel, Josh. But lucky enough, thanks to you, this is the first time I've been having fun like this."

I knew that for sure, I never had this experience when I was a kid, it was mostly to the fact I was raised by two people who didn't believe in a father and son moment. I was going to make sure I would have this moment with him and my wife. During those days, we played volleyball, took pictures, and coicindently we saw Trowa and Hilde and their daughter Angela Barton giving my son his first kiss; at that point, I didn't care that he was growing up, for once in my life I was having fun like my son had fun on those days.

//Dad, this could be the best day of my life
I've been dreamin' day and night 'bout the fun we'll have
It's just me and you doin' what I've always wanted to
I'm the luckiest boy alive
This is the best day of my life//

As a few years pass, his fifteen birthday was going, I promised I would let him work with me and my friends on a AC 180 Ford I bought for his birthday. When I picked him up from school to take him to Preventer's garage, I figured he would be estatic on the beauty of that car; instead, he gave me a hug and said "I cant tell how much I love you for this, dad." I couldn't believe the warmth I felt when he said those words.

Nights passed when me, my wife, Josh, Quatre, Trowa, Hilde, and Wufei worked like a team with this car. Needless to say, plenty of antics ensued while working on that Ford, but we still laughed like a family and worked hard. A year has passed when we were all putting the finishing touches on that car, when I threw him the keys to that Ford, I will never forget the words he said "Dad, the past few months when we worked on that car, they were the greatest days of my teenage years. I love you even more, father." We hugged each other after he said those moving words.

//Well, his fifteenth birthday rolled around
Classic cars were his thing
When I pulled in the drive with that old 'Vette
I thought that boy would go insane
When you're in your teens
Your dreams revolve around four spinning wheels
We worked nights on end 'til it was new again
And as he sat behind the wheel, he said

Dad, this could be the best day of my life
I've been dreamin' day and night 'bout the fun we've had
It's just me and you doin' what I've always wanted to
I'm the luckiest boy alive
This is the best day of my life//

Well now here I stand with my boy behind the church my love and myself were married in. My boy was going to marry his girlfriend Angela Barton soon to be Yuy. The same boy who is a spitting image of myself when I was young, I came to him while he was examining his tuxedo in the mirror, I said softly "My only boy, all grown and ready to be a man."

"You're right on that, dad, this can capitalize the days I spent with you and mom as a child."

"I can never forget those days, either, you always gave me opporutunities to explore new stuff on life and family. Your mother may have shown me love, but you've shown me the ways of family."

With that bright smile, he had on his face, he promised "Dad, from my heart, I will have the same kind of love you and mom shared when I seen you two hold each other."

Before his mother came to check on our boy about to be married, we gave each other a tight hug before we left for the wedding.

During the wedding, I was near where he and his bride were standing sharing their vows while I held the love of my life in my arms, contemplelating on the twenty years I've shared with her and the boy that was the prime result of our love gone deep. Now I imagine him being the father of the grandchildren I may see someday. Not only was this his best day, it was also mine.

//Standin' in a little room
Back of the church with our tuxes on
Lookin' at him I say
"I can't believe, son, that you're grown"
He said

Dad, this could be the best day of my life
I've been dreamin' day and night 'bout bein' like you
Now it's me and her watchin' you and Mom I've learned
I'm the luckiest man alive
This is the best day of my life

I'm the luckiest man alive
This is the best day of my life//