Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet Lullaby ❯ Reunion ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Gundam Wing or any of it's hot characters... is a sad reality.
SWEET LULLABY
Chapter 5: Reunion
 
 
The smell of freshly baked cookies filled up Catherine's trailer. The maroon haired girl moved about in the cramped kitchen space trying to take the cookies out of the small oven. Even though the trailer wasn't over sized, she had the essential necessities a girl should have, a small kitchen, a very comfortable green couch, a bedroom whose door was closed and a small bathroom, too small for Heero's liking.
 
Maisha looked around; she had never really been inside of a trailer before. She was very surprised that everything a household should have was gracefully and neatly ordered in little amount of space. Maisha's gaze stood on a table to the right of where she was sitting, a wooden squared table with a reading lamp on top. Beside the lamp were Catherine's shiny knives, the one's she used in her acts. Looking back and forth on Heero and the knives, she made sure Heero's eyes were still closed. She wasn't sure if he was asleep but figured he wouldn't notice her mischief. She stared at Heero for a good whole minute, but he remained motionless, arms crossed and eyes closed. She searched for the brown haired girl, her back was turned and was working on the cookies and this was her opportunity. She slowly began to reach for one the shiny revealing knife; that is until she felt a strong hand got a hold of her ponytail. Maisha froze. She was busted.
 
“What are you doing?” a monotone voice asked.
 
Maisha gently turned to look at her uncle, her eyes widened as she realized that his eyes were closed all along. “How did you…” she began, still she couldn't believe how her uncle knew, she was careful, or at least that's what she thought. Heero's skills were beyond impressive and beyond gone. His eyes closed but his awareness of his surroundings were one of his most impressive abilities when he was a soldier.
 
“Sit and don't move,” Heero ordered. He let go of her ponytail but his eyes remained closed.
 
Maisha, still perplexed on how it all had happened, sat and obeyed her uncle's order. She figured that he was a wizard of some kind and knew what she was thinking. ::I shouldn't think that he's a wizard then…'cause then he'll know that I know that he's a wizard…so stop thinking it then…oh geez. I can't stop thinking::
 
Finally the perfect rounded cookies were orderly positioned in a cute patterned plate. Catherine smiled at the small child whose eyes were sparkling at the plate of cookies that were placed in front of her. Soon to forget of what had happened like any child would.
 
“Coookies!!” Maisha cheered as she grabbed one of the chocolate chip cookies.
Catherine chuckled, “Grab as many as you like, but careful they're still kind of hot.” She looked at Heero and smiled at him, “please, have some too.”
 
Heero nodded gratefully and reached for a cookie, the smell of the cookies was sweet and inviting. He stopped midway as he was about to eat the cookie when he saw Trowa come inside Catherine's trailer dressed in normal clothes, a dark turtleneck and jeans. Trowa stared back at the Perfect Soldier and then at the cookie in his hand which he was still holding close to his lips.
 
 
“Cookie…” Trowa said as he walked over to the table and grabbed one too. Heero cocked an eyebrow at Trowa and continue to eat his cookie.
 
While they finished the cookies and talked, Catherine and Mai did most of the talking and afterwards they all stepped out of the trailer to bid their good-byes.
 
Outside of the trailer, the green eyed pilot hugged Maisha, “take care little Mai”.
 
All of a sudden a motorcycle engine was heard. Heero looked around to see where it was coming from. The roaring noise was coming closer and closer, some of the circus people jolted as they saw a black Harley approach them fast.
 
The person driving the motorcycle drifted a few feet away from Heero and the others, provoking them to cough when they felt the dust that was lifted up reach their noses. Heero recognized that crazy style of driving, there was no mistaking it. After all these years, this was starting to turn out like an ex-Gundam pilot's reunion, and it was something he wasn't prepared for.
 
“I told you not to drive your motorcycle in the trailer area…” Trowa complained while he coughed.
 
The person on the motorcycle removed his helmet to reveal himself, with a sly grin on his face he responded, “And I told you…that you sound like an old woman when you nag at me like that.”
 
Maisha's eyes opened wide when she saw him took his helmet off and realize who it was, “Wuffy!! Wuffy!! Wuffy!!” She lunged at him and he caught her at the exact moment.
 
He carried her and pulled softly one of her brown locks, “Hey brat what did I tell you about calling me that? …how are you holding up?”
 
“I'm holding up like a big strong girl and… sorry uncle Wuffers!” Maisha replied and flexed her small left arm.
 
Wufei rolled his eyes in amusement, “Good… and no Wuffers or Wuffy,” he ordered, it wouldn't do much good since Mai rarely listened to Wufei's requests or orders. Then he turned to look at his ex-companions,
 
“Catherine…Yuy,” he began and raised his left eyebrow, “you look…taller.”
 
Heero nodded, “you haven't changed much…” he replied. Wufei cringed at the statement realizing he had not grown much. In fact physically he hadn't changed a lot, his hair was the same length and styled in the same manner that he had when they first met him. The only difference was the way he dressed; he was no longer wearing his oriental garments, instead he was using his Preventers uniform which made him look rugged and handsome.
 
“Yeah, he's still short isn't he?” a feminine voice was heard but had a hint of taunt ness to her question.
::That voice:: Heero thought without searching to who it belonged, he remembered it for some reason.
Wufei put Maisha down and got off his Harley. He glared at the person behind Heero and Trowa. This made his two ex-comrades, and Trowa's sister, turn back slowly to see who his glare was directed to.
“Weren't you supposed to be in Africa woman?” Wufei asked voice tainted with annoyance. He folded his arms and cocked his head lightly to the right. Without any warning and with confused looks from the rest, the girl tossed her arms around Wufei's neck.
 
“CHINGY I missed you! Did you miss me… I bet you did,” she said excitedly.
 
“You foolish onna what right have you to express yourself in such manner? And I told you not to call me `Chingy' it's CHANG!”
 
Wufei nudged her to get her off him, but didn't succeed.
The rest still confused as to why on earth any girl would want to hug Wufei just stood as mere spectators.
 
“Yeah I was in Africa `was' being the key word,” the girl informed Wufei while she squeezed him tighter.
 
She smirked when she felt Wufei give up on trying to make her budge, she knew that even though the Chinese ex-pilot denied the fact that he cared for her it always backfired and let his feelings show a bit.
 
Maisha looked at her questioningly. She tried to remember her, and something told her that the she looked familiar, but different at the same time. It wasn't until she got a glimpse at the girls grey eyes that she finally knew who she was. It had been two years or so since Mai had seen her.
 
“Auntie Evie?” she asked still unsure of whether it was her.
 
The grey eyed girl removed her arms from Wufei's neck and moved closer to the small girl. She crouched down to Mai's height and smoothly moved one of her long black bangs just to give her a swift wink.
 
Maisha lunged at her, “It is you!” She grabbed one of her bangs, “What happened to your hair?” she asked with a hint of sadness and surprise to her tone of voice. She circled her and touched the back of her hair, it was short now, very short and her bangs that reached up to her neck were the only poor evidence of her once long silky black hair.
 
“Well… I thought I needed a new style,” Evie said while she gave a toothy smile, but her eyes told another story as they began to look foggy.
 
Trowa was the only one who noticed this and looked away in an uncaring manner.
 
Evie got up as she saw Catherine smile somewhat her way, “Hey, Catherine, right?” she asked, trying to remember if that was her name, since she had only seen Catherine once, and it was in Duo's wedding.
 
“Yes, it's nice to see you again,” Catherine replied sincerely.
 
Heero noticed her grey eyes look about and suddenly stop at his direction.
 
“Yuy…” she began, waiting for a response from the Perfect Soldier. But as expected she got nothing more then a nod from him. “Yeah nice to see you too…” she said sarcastically and rolled her eyes. She then turned to the one person she knew her presence wasn't pleasant for him at all.
 
“Trowa… how you been?”
 
“I've had worse days,” Trowa said sourly.
 
“Good then,” she said in a tone equally compared to Trowa's.
 
“But then again the day isn't over…”
 
Evie narrowed her eyes and took a deep breath, “Oh, Trowa, an optimist as always… and to think I was almost losing faith.”
 
Heero bewildered as to why they were acting this way just stood and analyzed the situation. Last thing he knew Trowa did get along just fine with her or in any way he never acted like that before. All of it was just strange and confusing. Heero looked at Wufei who didn't seem surprised by Trowa's attitude nor did Catherine, so they did know something. It was strange for Heero not to know what was going on, but then again he had been missing for a few of years. The only one he remembered seeing once or twice was Evie but she never mentioned having problems with Trowa.
 
Wufei, shaking his head in a father like manner, warned them, “Now children, play nice and honourably.”
 
The ex-Heavy Arms pilot programmed himself to soldier mode and became expressionless, it was amazing how he switched from an annoyed Trowa to the `unreadable' Trowa. “What are you doing here?” He asked collectedly.
 
Evie crossed her arms and answered him casually, “Duo called me and told me he finally found superman over there,” she pointed at Heero.
 
Heero held his composure also, “Why did he call you?” he asked trying to hide his curiosity.
 
“He thought you might need help with Mai.” She shrugged.
 
“Not one of Duo's brightest ideas,” Trowa said still in monotone.
 
“Aren't we a few clowns short of a circus,” she snapped back and glared at Trowa, something that didn't seem to affect him at all. He remained inexpressive as always which made Evie even more annoyed.
 
“Must you two always fight like insufferable children?!” Wufei growled, he was getting irritated by their meaningless altercation. Not even Wufei knew why it always had to happen every time they met.
 
“He starts!” Evie defended herself.
 
“No… I don't,” Trowa stated simply.
 
“Trowa quit fighting with Evie…” Catherine said in a motherly tone.
 
“Thank you, Catherine!” she then turned to the green eyed man, “At least we know that it was you who was dropped on your head when you were a baby and not your sister.” She plopped her arms to the side exasperated.
 
“Evie…” Wufei warned, “Quiet woman.” Evie just pouted and crossed her arms once again.
 
Heero looked at Maisha who seemed to be giggling at what was going on. It seemed that it wasn't something very serious to her, like when he and Trowa began to talk. But for some reason to Heero this was all new and even with all his training he could not understand this situation. Trowa was being very out of character, he always thought he could relate to him because of his expressionless ways. This new attitude was like seeing Duo monotone for once, Trowa wasn't the type to get caught up in arguments, let alone start them.
 
The Perfect Soldier finally came to accept that Trowa's mask had been broken for sure, that now it seemed harder for him to hide all of his emotions. Even though he still seemed observant and analytical there was now a hint of humanity in his actions. :: Who would've thought it would have been him to find his emotions… before me::
 
Heck even Wufei acted differently, Heero now felt like he had been thrown into the Twilight Zone. His ex-comrades were nothing like he once knew them. This was way too much even for him to sink in, but still he had to manage to keep his cool.
 
A sudden movement caught the Perfect Soldiers eyes, it was Mai… doing some kind… of dance. Cute? Or was it weird? Since everybody was focused on the two childish grown ups, Heero decided to reach for the little girl.
 
“Why are you dancing?”
 
Maisha kept on moving from side to side, hands almost hugging her stomach.
 
“I'm… not… dancing,” she managed to say, with lack of breath.
 
“Then what are you doing?” Heero bluntly asked.
 
“I…can't tell you!” she squealed.
 
“Why not?” Heero insisted.
 
“Because…”
 
“Will you just say it,” Heero was getting exasperated, something he was getting used to being around the little girl.
 
Mai kept on doing her little dance and seemed to be getting pale, “NO!”
 
“Maisha Maxwell, what's wrong?” he ordered to answer him.
 
Catherine noticed this and left the group to aid Heero, obviously noticing something out of the ordinary with Mai.
 
“I HAVE TO PEEE!!” Maisha screamed, this caught the attention of the rest.
Catherine sped up and reached for Mai and led her back to the trailer, “Come on sweetie, I'll take you.”
 
Heero still dumbfounded by what had just happened, looked to where the rest were, who also seemed to be in the same state. Then silence was broken by none other then silent Trowa.
 
“Some help you are…”
 
“What?! It's your fault, how was I supposed to notice the kid when you're talking a whole lot of crap,” Evie responded offensively.
 
“Right,” Trowa stated in a sly manner.
 
“Agh! You know what…you love me and I know that this is your way of showing it...” Evie said pointing it out like it was just a simple fact. Trowa as a response managed to raise both eyebrows.
 
“Both of you quiet…” Heero ordered. The other three didn't even notice when he appeared behind them. Both of them did as told. “Why did Duo ask you to come and help… he said he was going to be back here in a week.”
 
“Well… you see…he told me to tell you that what he had to do was going to take longer then what he expected,” she said while rubbing the back of her neck, she knew very well what this was going to cost her.
 
“What do you mean `longer then expected'?” Heero glared. Evie jumped a little at Heero's glare and lifted her hands in front of her face in a protective manner.
 
“Hey, hey that's what he said. He didn't even tell me what he was doing, he just asked me as a favour to come and help you with Mai.”
 
Heero held himself together but inside he wanted to kill someone, more specifically Duo. How can he take longer? How can he leave his kid like this…how could he keep on taking care of her? What on earth was Duo doing anyway that was taking so long?
 
“Heero are you okay?” Evie waved her hand in front of Heero.
 
Heero snapped back to reality, he hadn't noticed that he spaced out. He grunted as a response and glared at Evie once more.
 
“I don't need your help; you get in contact with Duo and tell him to come back now. I'm not going to take care of his child anymore.”
 
Evie narrowed her eyes, “Listen here Yuy, I know your wires get crossed sometimes, but Fey trusted you and both Duo and Mai have been through a lot. Maybe you act like you don't care but deep down inside your frivolous heart I know you do.”
 
Heero looked into her eyes but still no emotion what so ever. Catherine cleared her throat with Mai holding her left hand. Heero looked back at them and began walking their way. He grabbed Mai from Catherine and went back to Evie.
“I expect you to do what I told you to do.”
 
Evie looked back at him and then at Mai. Her expression softened as she saw the child confused as to what was going on. As Heero was about to leave, Evie caught his arm. “Heero, wait. I'll do it, but until then please consider my help and the others too.” She slipped a piece of paper in Heero's jacket.
 
The Perfect Soldier nodded and he looked back at his ex-companions who weren't too far off from where they originally were. Maisha still confused, just waved at them. Wufei decided to get closer.
 
“You can contact me in this colony's Preventer's HQ, if you need anything,” Wufei stated, “even perfect people need help sometimes.”
 
Heero turned back, but nodded at Wufei's offer, and with Mai's hand in his, walked away.
X.x.x.X.x.x.X
A/N: I apologize for taking a really long long time, but I had writer's block. The whole story is in my head but sometime I get stuck in certain scenes and I don't have enough inspiration to actually write it the way I want it. It's probably not my best chapter but I'm hoping that the rest will be. Sorry again for letting certain people down and for those who waited for this chapter I am really thankful. I wrote two for the lack of one I guess you deserve that much. I will try to have chapter 7 out soon... I hope you enjoy chapter 5 and 6.