Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Sweet Lullaby ❯ Surprises Never Cease to Amaze ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer:After 6 chapters guess what? I still don't own Gundam Wing...
SWEET LULLABY
Chapter 6: Surprises Never Cease to Amaze
 
Evie took a sip of her orange juice, “this definitely needs tequila,” she joked while she placed the half empty glass back down. The air was crisp and even though it was simulated air, it felt just great. It seemed like a perfect day to go out.
“I thought you stopped drinking,” Wufei remarked as he took off his sunglasses and sat down across from where Evie was sitting.
She had asked him to meet with her at French like café, they sat in the tables that were placed outside the café.
“I did actually, but you know an artist always needs inspiration.”
“That has always been your excuse,” he began, “did your so called inspiration help you finish your book at last?”
“Actually I did finish my book, sadly I didn't have enough money to buy me 'that kind' of inspiration, but at least I finished it and now I'm supposed to wait and see if it's going to get published or not,” she explained while looking at him directly. She did notice he hadn't changed at all and she was glad of that.
“Well at least you got it done, took you six years didn't it?”
She sighed and nodded, “well not everybody was happy to talk about the tragedies that the war caused in their lives, but the people that did tell me their stories are brave and amazing people, they all gained a special place in my heart.”
Wufei gave her a small nod, he admired her just like he admired Sally, she wasn't physically strong nor a soldier like Sally, in fact sometimes the girl was pretty reckless in his perception. But there was something about the way she set out to do the things she wanted to do without the need of anyone's approval and just her motivation of doing things her way, while he on the other hand had always followed orders and still did. First it was his master, then the doctors and now it was Lady Une but that's the way he wanted it, never the less he was envious of Evie's care free independence. Though he shook those thoughts out of his head every time they appeared because it made him feel less honorable to be wanting what he felt was a woman trait 'the incapability of following orders and following childish and capricious ideals'.
“You came back early from Earth...” Wufei began after a while of silence; it wasn't like Evie to stay quiet for long.
“What did you expect, after I got the telegram from you...” she paused and looked at her glass as if she was expecting it to do something, “you know... then Duo, at first I must admit I was glad that I was in earth at that time... I couldn't believe that she was gone and I hated everything and everyone at that time...” She looked at Wufei's eyes once in a while just to see if he had any reaction to what she said. But like the other Gundam Pilot's he knew very well to keep their composure when they wanted.
The ex-pilot decided to change the subject when he noticed the girls' dark expression. “How did Duo find you?”
“He didn't, I returned to the colonies like three weeks ago...”
“Three weeks ago! And you decide to show up just now??” he interrupted with disbelief in his voice.
“Well... I needed time to myself. I felt guilty for not being there for Duo and specially for not saying good-bye to Faye... I felt like a coward...”
She twisted the straw in her glass back and forth, Wufei looked at her carelessly, eyes focused on her meaningless movements. She then realized he was waiting for to finish what she had to say, so she decided to give him a mischievous smile, “you missed me didn't you?”
“Wha-... no of course not, I was glad that you were finally gone. Do you know how much of burden you were when I had to live with you for all those months?”
“Don't be so dramatic, it was only for like... six months”
“Well it felt like a year,” he retorted. He then crossed his arms and smirked it was like the old times before she went to Earth, inside he did miss their fights and ranting.
:::Flashback:::
“Evie hang up the damn phone!” Wufei was at his last nerve, he couldn't understand how he got himself into babysitting an adult. He still asked himself why on earth did decide to help her. But it was the fact that she was sleeping outside in a bench nearby his place, the way she looked pale and starved. The only explanation he got was that she was doing it for the right cause. He couldn't leave her like that even if he wanted to.
Evie covered the phone's mouth piece and gave him an annoyed look, “can I please have some privacy?”
But it was times like these he wished he had left her there starving and dying.
“Sure you can have some privacy... WHEN YOU GET YOUR OWN PLACE!”
She rolled around in the bed and decided to hang up. Her face looking amused when Wufei was about to scream bloody murder.
“Seriously Wufei how do you expect me to leave you alone if I don't get financed by the monster people a.k.a government people...” she rolled once more around the bed in the opposite direction she had done before while looking at him rather childishly. Even though most of the time he was yelling and scolding at her, she was happy that he had helped her and that she got to know him a lot better.
“I don't care ... it's all you do now... phone calls here and there,” he frowned a bit frustrated that she had seemed to change in matter of days. But, he knew that they weren't going to be together forever, he was going to be sent to some other colony as soon as he had a new mission and she was going to continue her project.
“Yeah well I need their help as much as I hate to say it. Relena would be a nice plus too... but I can't seem to get her at all, she's doing a lot of work in and out the colonies is really hard to keep track on her. And I'm out of money to even fly to another colony…”
Wufei thought about it, the day that they would had to part ways. Besides Sally, she was the second woman he had ever spent any time talking to. He had learned many things about her and had learned to care, this he owed to Sally Poe, a woman who never left his mind and his heart. He wasn't sure where she was now but he knew he had made a mistake when he didn't tell her what he felt for her and just let her go. Even though with Evie it was slightly different he wasn't sure if there were any feelings at all other then friendship. But still it felt strange that after all the time they spent together they had to go separate ways.
He combed his hair with his hand, slightly thoughtful and thinking twice if it was the right thing to do.
“If you find Relena... do you actually think you can convince her to help you?”
“Well I'm sure my father got to her already also... you were a witness I can't even get a job because my father bad mouthed me...” she sat up on her bed and placed her index finger on her chin and gave a small sigh, “but, Relena is not the type to let anyone tell her what to do... or at least that's what I expect... still it never hurts to try...”
Wufei hid a small smile. That's all he needed to know, that she would expire her every possibilities. So at last he knew he wasn't making a mistake with what he was about to offer.
“What if I told you where Relena was or where she's going to be next?”
She cocked an eyebrow and slowly tried to understand what he had just said. ”Relena... you are going to tell me where she is?”
“Yes, that's what I said.” He rested his back on the door frame with his arms crossed and waiting for her reply expectantly.
But at that exact moment she couldn't help but think that his pose looked like Heero's. She giggled at the thought and slightly shook her head.
Wufei dumbfounded by her giggles, decided to leave his pose and sit down on the bed.
He narrowed his eyes, “what's so funny?”
“Nothing...” she gave him a genuine smile and continued with her new found curiosity, “anyway how do you plan on giving me Relena's location?”
“The Preventer's always have the exact location of the former Queen, in fact they send a special preventer to guard her when it's needed.”
Evie stared at him in awe, she had never thought about that, she didn't know much about 'The Preventers' truth be told.
“Wouldn't you get in trouble if you gave out that information?”
He smirked, “that depends... are you going to tell anyone?”
She fiercely shook her head no, “but still I don't want you to get in trouble.”
“No one will know, trust me.”
She smiled and lunged herself at him, “you're the best Chingy... I love you!”
“Woman, call me that once more and I won't get you anything...” he warned her.
Evie gave him a satisfied grin and hugged him tightly one last time. He didn't force her off him like other times. He figured those would probably be the last one's he would receive in a really long time, since it had even been a long time that he had seen most of his friends, including Heero who had gone missing for a long time.
End Flashback
“You know...I never did get to thank you for helping me when I had no place to go and no money... actually I never thanked you for saving me two times... thank you Wufei,” her voice didn't quiver once, she had spoken with her heart.
This made Wufei uneasy, since he had never seen this side to her, it was always the annoying sarcastic side he had known. It seemed to him she had matured a bit while she was away.
“I didn't have a choice did I?” Wufei asked sarcastically.
Smiling at his comment she then mumbled with words that were barely clear, “No, you did...”
As Wufei was about to ask her to repeat herself a waiter showed up to take their orders.
“Would you like anything else Miss?” the waiter asked politely.
“Well, since this fine gentleman is treating me today, I would like your house special and a margarita. Oh, and also I would like a slice of cheescake.”
The waiter wrote down her order and Wufei just looked at her not surprised that she would take advantage of the gathering.
The waiter turned to Wufei, “and for you sir?”
“Just a club soda for me and scratch the margarita... she will not be drinking, bring her a milk shake.”
The waiter didn't hesitate and did as Wufei asked. He smiled apologetically at Evie for having to scratch off her margarita.
Evie glared at Wufei, “I swear, you're worst then parents, I'm old enough to drink you know?... Heck I'm older then you!”
“Then act like it.” The ex-pilot just folded his arms and ignored her childish whining.
X.x.x.X.x.X.x.x.X
Heero looked at his watch it was almost time for him to leave to his work. He had wanted to take the day off but ended up with an urgent call from Rina about a last minute meeting with other CEO's and obviously she couldn't handle it herself. He looked again at his watch and then decided it was time to look for his time consuming torment. When he did find her it wasn't exactly what he wanted to see.
“Why aren't you dressed?” he asked the little time consuming culprit.
“Because, I don't want to go! I want to see uncle Trowa and Evie and uncle Wufei.” The small girl pouted.
She had been like this since last night that they came from the circus. Heero realized he had made a mistake by taking her there. He was getting annoyed and exasperated.
“Look I don't have time for this, you will get ready and we will go in five minutes,” he explained the scenario in a calmly yet warn full manner.
Mai looked at him and got up from her bed. She motioned her foot up and stomped it as hard as she could, “No!” she said while she crossed her arms.
Heero couldn't believe this was happening, the kid was actually having a fit. In the back of Heero's mind all he wanted to do was leave her there, but he knew that it was the wrong thing to do. And besides he wasn't about to let Duo's clone get away with what she wanted like he did with Duo. So he did what he thought he'd never do, stoop down to a child level...
“Fine don't get dressed... and don't go. But if you don't do what I say, you will never play with Deux ever again and I mean that,” he warned and crossed his arms waiting for her reaction.
Maisha's eyes widened in surprise, she couldn't stand the thought of not playing with Deux ever again. The reaction was exactly what Heero expected; she turned to grab her pink suit case and looked for something to wear. Satisfied with his `negotiation', he left the room to give her some privacy to change.
---
 
Even though Mai pouted all the way to the company, her pout turned into a big smile as soon as she saw Deux.
“Hey Mai!” the cheerful expression of the eight year old boy made her lightly blush all the time. That was because she never saw him give that happy expression to anybody else but her. This made her feel really special and overjoyed. But that wasn't going to be the case at that precise moment...
“Deux!!!” screamed out a child his age running out of the open elevator doors.
Maisha turned around as soon as she saw Deux give the exact same expression he gave her, the one that made her feel special and his only friend. She suddenly felt strangely confused, everyone there talked about how Deux didn't have any friends at all, that Mai was the first real friend that was girl that he made. But there she was looking at what seemed a pretty girl running towards them. Honey colored eyes perfectly shaped, brown shoulder length hair put into a pony tail, two long bangs on the sides of her face. Her color hair matched perfectly with her eyes, or at least that's what Mai thought. /Mai: She's so pretty.../
“Akira!! When did you come back?” Deux seemed very happy to see Akira.
“My dad came to finish something so I asked him if I could come... I really wanted to see you again so that we could play like we used to,” Akira stated. “Oh, you so have to come and see what I brought... so that we could both play!!”
“Hold on Akira... I want you to meet-” But, before Deux had any chance to continue Akira pulled him and ran off to the elevator.
Mai stood there trying to figure out what had just happened. She was glad at first when she thought Deux was going to present her. But her heart sank as soon as she saw them run away together. And to make things worst Brenda and her little group saw the whole thing.
“Well, well who knew Akira would be back to take Deux away from you... nice timing don't you think?” Brenda taunted her while the two girls encircled her.
“Yeah, did you actually think you were his only friend?” Jera encouraged.
“Guys leave her alone,” Krissy pleaded, she looked at Mai and could tell that she was somehow heartbroken.
Mai slowly let down her bunny, the one Deux had said was pretty, the one they used to play together with. He was the first boy to actually accept her for who she was and the first real friend she had ever had. /And he lied... he lied to me/. Her eyes began to turn foggy, she could feel what was going to happen, but instead she fought back her tears. She wasn't going to cry, not this time. She glared at Brenda and it was good glare because it made the three of them move back three steps. She grabbed Honey and left to a corner table to draw.
“That... was scary,” Jera murmured while she held on to Brenda tightly by the arm.
“Oh please. Don't be such a wuss!” Brenda replied.
“Then you should stop being one too... and you should start by letting go of my arm,” Krissy instructed her after feeling a very tight grip on her arm. She shook Brenda's hand off and walked away from them.
Brenda gave her an annoyed look, her mind just realizing how incoherent it was to be afraid of someone younger than her. But she was glad that no one had seen.
----
 
The hazled eyed secretary approached Heero nervously. Since she could tell that he wasn't having his best day, she stood behind him and knocked on the wooden desk next to her to catch his attention. Being that this motion failed she decided to speak.
“Umm... excuse me, Mr.Yuy... sir?” But her words were merely mumbled and weren't enough to take the Perfect Soldier out of his trance.
He moved about his office scribbling on his notepad, caught up in thought and not noticing the girls presence. Walking back and forth and right and left he made one wrong move where neither one of them was paying to much attention. Without any warning he turned around to face his unnoticed guest and accidently bumped really hard into Ciara, Rina's faithful secretary/assistant.
Ciara was thrown back by a small yet strong impact and with her all the important papers scattered around the floor. Heero however managed to keep his balance; he looked around to find what he had bumped into, a glance down before him is all it took to see Ciara on the floor who was still recovering from the fall.
She suddenly felt Heero's gaze and after wincing from the hint of pain on her behind she saw all the important documents resting not so gracefully on the floor like a small carpet. Kneeling down she diligently and in a panic frenzy began to recover the papers one by one, the ones that were near her were rescued first. Heero placed one knee down and decided to help by recovering the papers that were close to him.
They were both too caught up looking for the papers around them that had ignored the innocent yellow lonely piece of paper lying in between them. It didn't take long for them to notice that it had been laying there but they did not notice that both of them were thinking of retrieving it. That small hasty action caused them to extend their whole bodies and hands at the same time to rescue the poor lonesome paper. The warm contact of their hands was the first thing to cause them to be aware that they were too close to eachother, this made them also look up at the same time into the depths of each other's eyes. Indeed their faces were only a few inches apart.
Ciara felt that her body temperature began to rise, starting out with her face which was burning red. Heero didn't have time to make out anything except that he too felt a small burning sensation on his cheeks, not giving it any more thought he backed away quickly leaving the girl baffled and blushing deeply. He offered her his hand in return for his sudden move. She reached out for his hand nervously and embarrassed.
As he was helping her up a platinum blonde haired spectator was watching them from outside his office, her heels weren't the ones to catch their attention though. She walked inside the office and placed her left hand on her thin waist as she began to reprehend her assistant, “honestly Ciara, I send you to do a simple task and you create a disaster!”
Ciara shamefully let down her gaze. “I'm... sorry.”
She desperately tried fixing her red long hair with one hand and held the papers with another one almost making her drop them again. Heero's reflexes were good enough to prevent that from happening, he grabbed the papers that wanted to escape the folder. Ciara looked at him and thanked him with her eyes.
Rina got very impatient and annoyed. She rolled her blue eyes and began tapping her expensive high heel shoes on the wooden floor.
Before Rina would even get a chance to yell at her clumsy assistant Heero decided it was best to explain what had happened or to lighten the blame on Ciara a bit. “It was my fault Deverou, I wasn't paying attention and I made her fall.” He hated the way Rina talked to Ciara, in fact he hated the way she talked to everybody, like she was better and above them.
“Fine, if you say so Yuy. Pay more attention next time or you can actually cause me to fire an innocent person. And I told you to call me Rina,” she said defiantly as she walked out the office, she then stopped at the door and turned around gracefully just to offer a small flirty kind of glare.
Heero decided to ignore her completely and turned to Ciara. “I'm sorry Ms. Jacob for getting you in trouble.”
“Oh, no, no, it was definitely my fault. Thank you actually… for telling her it wasn't my fault,” she stuttered a bit, it was the longest conversation she had ever had with him, if you can actually call that a conversation.
Heero nodded he wasn't good at starting a -it was my fault, your fault- ordeal. So he thought it best to leave it at that, if she wanted to think it was her fault then let it be so. He stood there expectantly, waiting for her to do something, Ciara also stood there still nervous by his presence and her memory repeating the closeness of their faces. This made her blush again unexpectedly.
“Did you need anything?” Heero finally asked.
This broke her off her trance. “Uh...I... well...” searching all around her for a clue that would tell her what exactly she had gone to Heero's office for, she finally looked down towards her arms. And there they were, the reasons for her being in Heero's presence, they were the important documents she had to deliver him. Happy that she had found the reason she replied with certainty, “yes, actually I was supposed to hand you these documents,” she gave him a small reference as she handed him the documents, “the yellow ones are for you to sign and the rest are for the meeting.”
“Thank you for the meeting papers, Rina didn't even preview me on what the meeting was going to be about. It's a great help,” he thanked her while looking through the meeting papers.
“I imagined she hadn't done so, that's why I thought it was best if I bought you a copy of what she had on her desk, I assume she hasn't read them either,” she informed him with a frown. It disappointed her that Rina didn't care much about her job as a president in the company it seemed that she did everything without thinking and then Heero had to be the one to clean up her mess just so she could get the credit. But even so the small thank you made Ciara's heart jump and the rosy color on her cheeks that had once disappeared suddenly returned.
“You shouldn't endanger your job, at least not for my sake.” Heero's tone was now monotone and cold. He continued to flip through the files and didn't look at her once.
Ciara knew that if Rina found out all she would do is yell at her. Rina needed Ciara too much, because she was the only one willing to put up with her selfish personality and not to mention her way of demanding things. She was the first secretary/assistant not to quit in the first week. So for Rina to find out she had been copying meeting files for Heero would be the least of her worries. But even though Heero's last comment seemed cold it made her happy to think that maybe inside he would worry about her like that. Would he really care if I get fired? What if something bad happened to me would he care? Those questions flooded her mind, even thought she thought the last one was too soon to even be thinking about it. Never the less it was nice to imagine that after a long time she could be able to care about someone other than Deux and herself again, mind that her son would always be the most important person in the world for her.
X.x.x.X.x.X.x.x.X
Wufei and Evie looked up at the sky which seemed to turn different shades of gray, sign that it might rain, usually small rain drops showered the beautiful colony just to give it that melancholic glace.
“Even though I love the spontaneous weather, I hate this colony,” Evie declared as she kept on looking at the sky as if it were to answer her back. She then turned to the waiter who placed the slice of cheese cake she had ordered.
“Do you have a place to stay?” Wufei asked Evie who was happily munching away her sweet desert.
She looked up for a moment and muffled a yes and some other words that he couldn't make out with the cheese cake in her way.
“And you were bought up in a wealthy family... could've fooled me...” he commented sarcastically.
Evie rolled her eyes and swallowed a big part of the desert she had early shoved in her mouth. She cleaned her lips gracefully with a napkin and imitating a princess like manner she answered, “well my dear Wufei, pardon my lack of manners,” to which didn't last long because she soon added her true self, “but I couldn't give a crap about being a lady.”
Wufei who was about to take a sip out of his club soda stopped midway as he heard her lady like imitation and gave her a surprised look. But as soon as he heard her last sentence he disappointedly continued to take a big gulp of his drink.
“So where are you staying at?” he curiously asked, wondering if she had any money at all to be staying at an inn or something of that sort. But then he remembered an important fact, “your family lives in this colony. You're staying with them?”
“Of course not, that's actually the reason of why I hate this colony.” As soon as she remembered her family she stabbed the cheese cake with the fork and swooped another big piece of to her mouth.
The ex-pilot couldn't help but chuckle and remember that he had once met her parents and he had to hand it to her, they weren't pleasant at all. He figured the question was pretty much irrelevant once he really thought about it, so he was still left with the interrogative. “So where exactly are you staying then? Wait... don't tell me that you want to stay with me again?” he looked at her waiting for her innocent 'abondoned puppy eyes'. But to his surprise she had a different answer.
She shook her head calmly, “it's a different victim this time don't you worry... Heero Yuy.”
Wufei couldn't help but laugh at her statement, thinking it was a joke, a really bad one at that. He thought it was easier for him or even Trowa to actually take her in then for Heero to offer her a place to stay.
“What makes you think he's going to let you stay at his place. He said he didn't want your help or even my help for that matter...” he continued to laugh in between words.
“Because, he will obviously need our help soon.”
Wufei cocked an eyebrow while he manage to catch his breath, “oh really?”
“Oh come on. You actually think Heero's going to be able to handle a child after two weeks, I'm amazed he's lasted all this time. The only reason Mai's been behaving is because she thought that Duo was only going to be away a week, when she finds out that her father isn't going to be here any soon she's going to start getting desperate,” she explained imagining the whole scenario in her head, “and then she's going to start giving Heero more problems than he can handle. Children can only last some time without their parents without throwing fits and that's exactly when...” she crossed her fingers and placed her chin on her hands, “Heero's going to need help.”
He took a last sip of his drink, he then smirked at her. “Interesting theory, although you should know, for Heero this is just some kind of mission and he doesn't tend to fail on his missions.”
“You Gundam Pilots... well Ex-Gundam Pilots, think you can do everything. But there's things in real life that will beat you sometimes and let's face it you guys weren't trained to be nanny's, now where you?”
Wufei placed his hands on the back of his head and thought about what she had just said. It was true; he couldn't even handle Mai that one day he was supposed to take care of her, how did Heero handle her for all this time?
“So when do you think he'll be calling you desperately for an S.O.S... in a month?”
She gave him an ear to ear grin, “bet you dinner at a five star restaurant that he calls in a week.”
“Word to the wise, don't bet when you know you can lose...” Wufei grinned back sure that he wasn't going to lose. If he knew Heero, he was sure that he wasn't going to ask for any help unless he was truly desperate and he never got desperate not even in a deadly situation.
“A word to the wise isn't necessary my dear Chibi-kun(1), is the stupid ones who need advice,” she shot back.
“The bet is on. But if you think that Heero will call in a week, here comes the question that I've been asking you all along. Where the hell are you going to be staying?”
She then pulled out her best weapon, the dreaded 'abandoned puppy eyes'. Wufei inhaled deeply and finally regretted asking her. “Fine, I get it... great a whole month with you , that's if 'he' calls.”
“It's just week Chibi-kun(1),” she assured him with a wink. “By the way, how did you manage to let you work in this colony?”
Wufei glared at her as soon as she called him chibi-kun he hated that nick name more than Wuffy, Chingy or even Wuffers, the cause was that he was still angry that he had not grown, even Evie got taller than him and that was just unacceptable.
“That's none of your business you should just thank me for coming... and don't you EVER call me Chibi-kun again!”
“He's your friend too you know... and Chibi-kun is a very cute nick name I don't know why you complain so much.”
“Hmph, a friend who left without saying anything isn't really a friend. I thought he was dead... and it is not a cute nick name.” Wufei furrowed his brow and turned to look at his watch.
“You didn't think he was dead, you liar, inside you understood him,” she stated confidently, because even though he tended to be a loner and to shut his feelings to the world. He was a bit predictable.
The lonely Dragon acted like he ignored her comment and got up without looking at her. “Let's go... it's getting late.”
Evie didn't argue, she followed Wufei and waited for him to pay the bill. They walked silently all the way to their destination.
X.x.x.X.x.X.x.x.X
The meeting didn't go as planned for Heero, in fact it was horrible. Rina hadn't done the research on the other companies well and were asking for three times more on their product than company competitors. Heero unaware of the numbers and statistics since it wasn't supposed to be his area of work; he was unable to convince them that their software was the best on the market not to mention that he said it was the cheapest when it wasn't true.
Oblivious as always that it was her mistake; Rina scolded Heero as if he were a child who had done something horribly wrong. Heero took a deep breath, closed his eyes and slammed his fist lightly at Rina's desk. He wasn't one to lose his temper easily, but recently his patience was reaching a boiling point.
Rina stepped back and placed her right hand on her chest in reflex. After realizing that the fist wasn't on her face but on her desk, her adrenaline began to rise and her face became red. She glared at the man in front of her but before she could yell at him or say anything, he brushed by her and slammed the door on his way out.
---
The elevator door opened, Kendra the 'Gawking lady' as Mai called her, jumped fearfully at the sight of the Perfect Soldier. It seemed that a hostile aura surrounded him, his eyes were colder than usual and his face seemed to show no expression at all making him seem inhuman. Kendra still thrown aback by the soldier like Heero made an effort to greet him but no sound came out of her.
Heero maintaining his visual on what he had gone to do finally locked his target. The small girl was sitting alone and to his surprise the closer he got the more he could feel a really cold and hostile vibe from her. The kids around them could feel the cold atmosphere surrounding them both and decided to watch from afar.
“Let's go,” Heero ordered in his monotonous tone.
Maisha turned to look at her uncle but said nothing, she turned back to her drawing, where she had drawn what seemed three people, one of them which seemed a lot like her, she seemed to be laughing maniacally and the two other thrown down on the floor crying which seemed a lot like Akira and Deux. She looked at her drawing contently and decided to tear it. Brenda at looking at what she had done gulped, she had never seen Mai like this, not that angry at least. Heero ignored the little girl's action and continued to walk to the elevator with Mai behind him.
Deux who soon came out of the elevator door beamed a big smile as he saw Mai, Akira on the other hand glared at her.
“Mai, you're leaving already?” Deux frowned when he saw her get in the elevator with her uncle and didn't respond. To his surprise the little girl turned her gaze to the floor and grabbed onto Heero's leg. The blonde boy was dumbfounded by this, he couldn't figure out if she was angry at him or sad. He began to think that maybe something had happened when he wandered off with Akira, that maybe Brenda had done something to make her upset again.
The elevator doors closed and he never heard a response from his dear friend Mai. He then turned around just to see that everyone was looking at him now. There was one person that stood out, Brenda. He walked up to her and faced her only a few inches away.
“What did you do to her?!” Deux asked demandingly, his blue eyes turning darker with anger by the minute. He couldn't stand to think that he wasn't there to protect her when she had probably been attacked by the snobby girls.
“Me?!?!?” Brenda cried out dramatically. “You got it so wrong little boy, don't come to me acting like I've done something to that small brat!”
“Don't call me little boy, we're the same age. You must've done something to her, she was sad-”
Brenda snorted and crossed her thin arms while she struck a pose, “she wasn't sad you dimwit, she was angry and to clear things up she wasn't angry at me.”
“You always do or say things to make her angry!”
“I do not. This time it was somebody else...” She cocked an eyebrow and grinned at him maliciously.
Deux didn't know what she was talking about, he was getting confused. “Then who did it?!” he was getting more and more frustrated.
“You know what the difference between genius and stupidity is?” she asked in a humored manner knowing that he was known as the genius boy, she knew he would understand her, “the difference is that genius has its limits and it has now been proven.” She swayed her hair and turned to leave with some of the girls following her.
Akira blinked twice trying to understand what she had just said and looked back at Deux who seemed to be clenching his fists.
“Are you okay Deux?”
“Yeah Akira, I'm fine.”
“Why do you care so much about that girl? It's not like you,” Akira complied.
“Because she's different, she's sweet and not like the others-”
Akira turned around and glared at the thought of losing Deux.
“My father is here to pick me up maybe I'll see you tomorrow.”Akira waved good-bye.
Deux waved back and managed to plaster a forceful smile.
---
“Are you hungry?” Heero asked as soon as they stepped inside the apartment.
“No, I'm not hungry...” she sighed.
Heero had a slight suspicion that something wasn't right. Mai had been silent all the way home, which was nothing like her, she usually had something to say about her day or she would be asking pesky questions about Heero's private life. The awkward silence was definitely unlike her.
“I can make you Mac & Cheese,” the Perfect Soldier offered politely.
Mai held on tighter to her pink bunny and made her way to the couch. “I'm not hungry,” she yelled from the couch.
Heero sat down next to where she was laying face down, he wasn't sure of what the problem might've been, but he was certain that something was up. “What's wrong?”
Mai placed the bunny on her face and muffled, “nothing's wrong.”
“Something must be wrong if you're rejecting Mac & Cheese...” He waited for her response but only to receive silence.
He remembered that Mai had been acting like that since the morning, he thought that if she got together with Deux she would be happy again. But he was too busy cursing out in his mind of the crappy reunion to notice that Mai didn't even say good-bye to the blond boy.
She suddenly sat up and her eyes had watered up, “I want my daddy... where's my daddy!?!” Tears began to pour down her violet eyes.
Heero was thrown aback by her tears and by her request. Not once had she asked about Duo, not once had Heero worried about Mai asking about it either. It was usually him who would ask himself where that braided idiot was and when was he thinking of coming back.
“He said he would be here soon...” he tried to comfort her with his words, but inside he knew it was a lie, after what Evie had said.
“He's lying! He said he would be here in a week and it's been longer!! He LIED!” she began to scream her lungs out, “I hate boys! You all lie! You lied too! My daddy lied! Deux lied! All the boys lie!!”
Heero Yuy was now officially confused, he had no idea of what Mai was talking about or the reason she was so angry. He could get that she would be mad that Duo wasn't there to get her yet but him and Deux, how did they fit in everything? He didn't know how to react; he was baffled and new to this whole situation.
All through the night Mai continued her wailing and whining. Refusing Heero's every request and orders. He was reaching again boiling point of his patience. His hair seemed to be more messy then usual from all the nerves that seemed to be dispersing through his body.
“Maisha, is really getting late and you have to go to sleep...” he said it with lack of patience in his voice.
Mai couldn't care any less; she stood up to him and angrily shouted, “No! I won't go to sleep!”
Finally his patience reached zero and he too screamed at her, “Fine! What do you want then?!”
Mai began to cry even more and that's when he realized that it was the first time he had screamed at her and the first time he had lost his patience. His guilt started to move in.
He closed his eyes for a few seconds and calmly began to talk to her again. “Look, I'm sorry okay... what's wrong? What can I do?”
The small girl rubbed her eyes that were red and puffy from all the crying, she slowly began to catch normal breaths and tried to talk in between hic-ups, “I want auntie Evie...I... I... want to live with ... her... she said... I ... could...”
That was a request he didn't expect after he thought he made himself clear the day before. Again he regretted going to the circus. He tried to explain himself again as calm as he could.
“Your father left your care to me, not her; I can't let you go with her.”
Maisha's eyes began shine like glass yet again. Heero knew he was getting nowhere. He sighed and analyzed the situation. It was most probable that she was feeling homesick or something had happened while she was at the day care. Whatever the reason was it was abvious that she didn't trust him enough to tell him. He could tell that if he didn't compromise with her this time he would not win at all. But using Deux this time was obviously out of the question. It came to his mind that the little girl might even go on a hunger strike if she didn't get what she wanted and what about all the crying, wouldn't she get sick from it? All these thoughts bombarded Heero's over frustrated mind. He had to do something and what he thought about doing he knew that he would probably regret it someday, but it seemed that he had no choice.
X.x.x.X.x.X.x.x.X
“What the hell is that!?!” Wufei unconsciously yelled at the sight of the defenseless animal parading around his apartment.
“Her name is Lolita and she's mine.”
Wufei grabbed his katana and began chasing the poor animal for his life.
“Wufei leave her alone!!”
“What the hell!? How dare you bring this thing to my sacred space!? Are you insane!”
“You are so dramatic!!” Evie cried out while she hugged a scared Lolita. “You scared her, you are so insensitive.”
“I don't give a damn, get the thing...” he made emphasis on 'thing' while he pointed a finger at her, “just get it out of here.”
“Oh come on! She's potty trained... I swear...” she pleaded.
Wufei didn't get a chance to reply since Evie's phone rang at that time. The girl reached for her back pocket and for the cell-phone.
“Hello?” She waited for a response, as soon as she heard the voice on the other end a big sly grin emerged on her lips.
Wufei knew it had to be good news for her, for even her grey eyes seemed to sparkle. After hanging up he raised an eyebrow in question.
“Guess who won the bet?” she asked with a cocky tone and striking a winning model like pose.
He placed a hand on his forehead, this wasn't supposed to happen, how did he give in so fast? Still there was one thing that made him grin and that was the fact that Evie would be leaving soon...
“Well he's going to be in for a big surprise,” he said while eying Lolita and smirking at the thought of Heero meeting the animal for the first time.
to be continued…
Xx.X.x.X.x.X.xX
 
(1) Chibi: Japanese word that means small or little. Usually used on someone who's short.
Well I hope you enjoyed both chapters and I hope I'm forgiven for taking so long, but like I said before Writer's Block is a bitch. Thanks to those who are still reading I really apreciate it, even if just one person likes it as long as they keep on reading it I will keep on writing! I love you all!
Oh one more thing... Please Review! Make me happy people XD
Special thanks to...
As always ConquerorAlexander for being a great beta, as always I trust your skills because let's face it, you're an amazing writer! Thanks again for taking your time to actually make this fic readable lol. TOM!
 
TinyDarkANgel and Hikaru Itsuko thank you both very much for your review I hope you like these two chapters and please keep on reading and reviewing! Maybe I'll stop having writer's block lol! Love you all!!