Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne? Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Rating: NC 17
 
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 5
 
Duo asked Hilde her opinion on Catherine that evening after consults were finished. Hilde thought it was a good idea, having suffered her own guilt attacks for leaving the 'phone to ring, being unable to answer it as she'd been busy with a client. His mind made up, Duo had called Trowa and arranged to pop over the following afternoon and visit. Trowa had been curious as to why Duo would want to call and even more so when Duo had asked for Catherine to be present as well but refrained from asking why out of politeness. He knew he would have his answer the following day.
 
Hilde stayed for dinner and watched a movie with the guys before taking her leave. Heero did a final check on the horses and locked the stables while Duo checked the surgery and Blackie. The drip had been removed earlier that evening as the cat had shown signs of wanting to move around and even tried to lap a little water. Once Duo had been sure that the cat could drink by itself okay, he'd taken the drip out. Providing all went well over night he'd see if he could get Blackie to eat a little something in the morning. Having cooked a chicken casserole for dinner, Duo had saved a small portion of the 'gravy' for just that purpose. Blackie wouldn't be able to eat solid food for a while yet but the chicken gravy would be easy for the cat to lap up and provide some nutrients.
 
With everything taken care of, Duo locked up the house and followed Heero to bed. Snuggling into the warmth and comfort of his lover's arms, Duo hoped he would get a little more rest that night.
 
***
 
Morning arrived all too soon; fortunately Duo had managed to get a better night's sleep than the previous evening. Heero got up and commenced the morning ritual while Duo remained huddled under the blankets and dozing for a while longer. Not long after Heero had departed, Duo got up and commenced his own morning tasks.
 
The consults went well with there being the usual appointments for vaccinations, one nail trimming, an abscess to flush and treat, and a clean and scale of a dog's teeth. Hilde arrived shortly after Duo had closed the surgery and busied herself tending to Blackie while Duo attempted to conquer the demon known as Nrobbuts for the second time. The odd grunt, curse and snort that emanated from the reception area told Hilde it was best to stay with the recovering cat for a little while longer. Once silence had returned, Hilde ventured out and went to see if it was safe to enter the reception area or if she would need full riot gear.
 
Duo looked up to see a cream colored surgical glove stuck on the end of one of the teeth rasps they used for horses teeth waving from the doorway. He couldn't help but give a snicker at the absurd sight.
 
"I surrender," came Hilde's voice from the other side of the doorway. "Is it safe to come in? I swear I don't have any weapons."
 
"It's safe," replied Duo with a grin.
 
Hilde followed the tooth rasp and glove into the reception area. "How did it go?" she asked, looking pointedly at the computer.
 
"Seems to be okay so far," replied Duo as he focused back on the machine. He typed in a few more commands, hit the enter button and sat back to see what happened. "Yes!" he said and punched the air. "Score two for me!"
 
"Don't tell me..."
 
Duo nodded, a wide grin on his face.
 
"Twice in a row, huh?"
 
"Yup."
 
Hilde gazed at the screen. "Great! At this rate I'll be able to come in later."
 
"Pardon?"
 
"If you're managing to get all the files sorted out and loaded I can come in a little later now as I won't have to do it for you."
 
"Why you cheeky..." Duo jumped up and grabbed Hilde, tickling her mercilessly.
 
"Agghhh... Stop! I give up," laughed Hilde as she tried to fend off the attack.
 
Duo relented and let the other vet go. "Just remember who the boss is around here," he stated with a smirk.
 
"Yes, your majesty," replied Hilde with a mock bow.
 
"Any more of that and you can clean out the kennels for the next month."
 
Hilde rolled her eyes. "Yes, boss."
 
"That's better." Duo said and then turned back to the computer to shut it down. "Did Blackie manage to eat any of the broth I put in for him?"
 
"Yeah. There wasn't much left in the bowl. I didn't empty it out in case you wanted to see how much he'd managed to lap up."
 
"Thanks. I'll go check." Duo left the reception area and went to check on the cat. He was pleased to see that Blackie had managed to lap up about half of the liquid. "Good boy," murmured Duo as he stroked the cat after checking the animal's jaw. Blackie purred.
 
"When do you think he will be able to go home?" Hilde asked.
 
"I'd say in another three or four days if he's eating and drinking okay. He'll need to stay on a liquid diet for a couple of weeks and then progress to soft foods."
 
"I'll let Mrs. Marx know if you like?"
 
"Thanks, Hilde."
 
"You think the pins and plates will have to stay in permanently?"
 
"Possibly. We will give him another x-ray in about six weeks and see how the jaw is looking then. It all depends on the bones and how they knit back together."
 
"The legs appear to be doing okay."
 
"You did a great job on those, Hilde," said Duo as he smiled at the other vet and closed the kennel door.
 
"Thanks." Hilde blushed a little at the compliment.
 
"I'm going to head off now. You should be okay this afternoon, nothing is booked in for surgery and the evening consults aren't full yet. I'll have my pager on me and Heero should be back around three. I'm going to head over to Trowa's so if you need any help just grab Heero or if necessary, page me."
 
"Will do. Everything will be fine though so don't worry. Good luck with Catherine."
 
"Thanks." Duo took his leave and headed back to the house to change and visit Trowa. Hilde returned to the reception area to gaze in amusement at the computer.
 
***
 
Trowa was busy in the kennels when he heard the sound of a car pulling up. He quickly finished putting the last two bags of dog biscuits onto the stack, wiped his hands on his jeans and went outside. He smiled when he saw Duo getting out of the car.
 
"Hey, Trowa," called Duo as he locked the vehicle and walked to meet the other man.
 
Trowa shook hands with the vet, barely managing to keep his curiosity about the visit at bay. "Catherine is just finishing up with the puppies. I'll give her a shout to let her know you're here."
 
"No rush," replied Duo. "Got many animals in at the moment?"
 
"A few. Six dogs, four puppies, three litters of kittens, eight cats and a goat."
 
"A goat?" Duo chuckled. "Where the hell did that come from?"
 
"Got a 'phone call the other day from some elderly lady. The goat had wandered into her yard about two weeks ago. She didn't know where it had come from and despite advertising it as being found, no one came forward to claim it. She couldn't keep it as she didn't have the room for it, besides, it had begun to eat her garden plants and I don't think her husband was too impressed. I'm hoping I can find a home for it," said Trowa as he led Duo along a concrete pathway between kennels that housed various dogs of differing breeds.
 
"Good luck with that," replied Duo as he took in the various canines who rushed up to the wire to bark at him.
 
They stopped outside a large pen where Cathy was playing tug-of-war with three puppies. The fourth pup lay to one side watching the proceedings.
 
"Duo's here," said Trowa softly as he watched the game.
 
"Oh. Hi, Duo. I won't be a minute."
 
"That's fine, I didn't mean to interrupt your game," said Duo as he watched.
 
Cathy gathered up a few toys and placed them in the corner of the pen. Checking the water bowl, she carefully stepped over the pups that seemed determined to get under her feet and exited the pen. "You will have a coffee while you're here?"
 
"I'd love one," replied Duo.
 
"Good. How's the cat?" Cathy asked as the three of them made their way towards the house.
 
"Blackie is doing fine. He's off the drip and starting to lap up some fluids. I expect he will make a full recovery." Duo paused at the door to the house to let Catherine enter first.
 
The three entered the small kitchen where Cathy and Trowa both washed their hands before Cathy set the things up for coffee, Trowa helping her. Duo took a seat at the small table and gazed around. He liked Trowa's place, it was small, smaller than his own home but no less comfortable. Cozy was the word that sprang to Duo's mind every time he visited.
 
Placing the mugs of coffee on the table, Trowa and Cathy sat, Trowa unable to hold his curiosity any longer.
 
"What can we do for you, Duo?"
 
Duo took a sip of his beverage and reclined back, making eye contact with Trowa. "It's Catherine I really want to speak to as what I have to say concerns her the most."
 
Cathy felt a tremor of fear go up her spine. Had she done something wrong when helping out the other day? Was that what Duo was here for? To let her know she'd committed some grievous error? "Me?" she managed to get out past the knot of fear that threatened to take her voice from her.
 
Duo put his mug down on the table and leaned forward, lowering his eyes to his hands that fidgeted on the table surface and took a deep breath. "My veterinary practice is growing and along with the increased clientele, there comes a need for an increase in the staff to run it. Hilde and I share the veterinary side of the duties and Heero does the books. He also played the role of our receptionist and vet nurse. As you know, Heero has aspirations to compete at International level in his sport of showjumping and I intend to help him all I can in his quest to reach the top." Duo paused for a breath before continuing. "Heero is currently riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as preparing Zero for the season's competitions. As you can imagine, it doesn't leave him with a whole lot of time for the vet practice."
 
Catherine frowned. "I can see what you're saying, Duo, but what does that have to do with me?"
 
Trowa had an idea of where this was going and leaned back in his chair keeping his face neutral while inside he was smiling.
 
"Catherine, do you mind if I ask you a sort of personal question?" Duo looked the woman in the eye.
 
"Um, no."
 
"What are your plans at the moment? I know the circus burnt to the ground, Trowa and yourself explained all that the other night. I'm curious to know what you intend to do now that the circus is gone?"
 
Catherine lowered her eyes, her mind deep in thought at Duo's question. She hadn't really given a lot of thought as to what she would do now that the circus was gone, she was still grieving in her own way at the loss of pretty much her entire way of life. "I - I don't know. I hadn't given it much thought. I think I'm still coming to terms with the loss and was planning on staying here with Trowa and helping out at the shelter for a while, well for as long as he can put up with me, that is." Cathy gave her brother a sad smile.
 
"You're welcome to stay here with me for as long as you want," said Trowa softly.
 
"I know and I appreciate that, but... You have your own life, Trowa and the shelter isn't what I want to spend the rest of my life working in; no offense."
 
"None taken."
 
"If I may," interrupted Duo. "I think I have a solution to the problem."
 
"You do?" asked Cathy.
 
"As I've just explained about Heero and the fact that he's spreading himself a bit thin at the moment." Duo scratched the back of his neck as he tried to think of the best way to offer Catherine a job. In the end he decided to simply come out and say it. "The practice needs a full time receptionist come vet nurse. Hilde and I can't leave a client to answer the 'phone every time it rings, and there are times when we need another person there who is skilled in animal handling to help with a client's animal or assist in surgery. I was impressed with your professionalism when you helped out with Blackie the other day and although I know you don't have any proper training in the field of vet nursing, I'm confident in your skills enough to ask if you would be interested in filling the spot of receptionist come vet assistant at the practice?"
 
There was silence in the kitchen as Duo's offer sank in. Trowa was amused at the expression on his sister's face, it wasn't often she was rendered speechless. Cathy, meanwhile, was trying to wrap her brain around the proposition. Duo wanted her to come and work at the vet practice?
 
"I - I don't know what to say," began the woman. "I'm flattered that you should ask but I'm not qualified enough."
 
"I take it you can answer a 'phone?" said Duo with an amused look.
 
"Well, yes."
 
"And you can write legibly?"
 
"Yes."
 
"I know you're not squeamish..."
 
Cathy snorted. "No, I'm not."
 
"And you're not afraid of handling animals."
 
"No, I did a lot of work with the big cats in the circus."
 
"Had any experience with computers?"
 
"A little."
 
"Then what's stopping you from saying yes?"
 
"Ah..." Cathy didn't have an answer to that.
 
Duo gave the woman one of his charming grins. "It's not that hard. All we would need for you to do is be there from nine in the morning until twelve thirty and then again in the evening from five until seven thirty. If we have anything booked in for surgery that we need assistance for then you will be required to return at two for that. We will know a couple of days beforehand about the surgery so you will be given plenty of warning; unless of course we get an emergency. Your duties would be to man the reception area, check off the clients as they come in for their appointments, have their files out ready for us to take through when we call them, answer the 'phone and take bookings for appointments and surgery. There's also the matter of taking payments, writing out receipts and then logging all the days consults into the computer program. Heero will go through and manage the books weekly and then do up the accounts at the end of each month for sending out."
 
Trowa blew out a breath of air, ruffling his long bang. "Sounds like a lot of work but I guess it isn't all that much."
 
"Actually it's no where near as difficult as it might sound. I'd suggest if Cathy is interested that she comes to the surgery on Monday when Heero is there; it's his day off from the stable, and he will show you exactly what is involved. I'll pay you the award wages as well as holiday pay and sick leave."
 
Catherine slowly digested all the information. The offer was tempting, but she still wasn't sure she would be able to do it.
 
"Why don't you at least give it a try? Come over on Monday, spend the day learning what's involved and then see what you think. If you want to give it a go we can set a trial period of two weeks; at the end of the fortnight if you're not coping for whatever reason then you can leave. But... If you are coping okay and enjoying the job, then you're welcome to stay." Duo picked up his mug of now luke warm coffee and drank it down.
 
"What do you think, Trowa? Catherine asked as she faced her brother.
 
"I think it's a generous offer and I know you can do it," replied Trowa honestly. Seeing the shadow pass over his sister's face, Trowa knew exactly where her thoughts were going and he spoke up quickly to waylay those thoughts. "I'll be fine here at the shelter, you can still help out on your days off if you wish as well as in-between your shifts."
 
Catherine shook her head and gave a laugh. "I know you'll be fine here, Trowa, you've been managing by yourself for ages and really don't need me." She turned her attention to Duo. "Okay, I'll give it a go," she said with a warm smile. "And thank you for asking me to work for you. I'd like to give it a two week trial and come in on Monday to learn the ropes."
 
"That's great! I know you will fit in easily and do a good job," beamed Duo.
 
"I've got a question," said Trowa.
 
Catherine and Duo both turned to look expectantly at the tall man.
 
"Who's going to show her how to tame that thing you call Nrobbuts?"
 
"Nrobbuts?" questioned Catherine while Duo turned a few shades of red.
 
"Duo's demon of a computer," explained Trowa with a smirk.
 
"Oh? Is there something I'm missing here?"
 
"I'll have you know I can now load all I need to onto the hard drive and not lose a thing," replied Duo hotly.
 
"So, you're going to show Cathy how to use the computer program?" Trowa raised his one visible eyebrow.
 
"Nah, Heero will."
 
***
 
Having finalized all the details with Catherine and Trowa, Duo took his leave and went back home. When he pulled up he headed down to the paddock. Heero's car was parked by the stables and Duo knew he would be working Zero in the paddock Heero had set up for schooling in. As he approached the fence he could hear the sound of thudding hooves before Zero and his handsome rider came into view. Duo paused at the fence and watched, happy to keep his presence secret for the moment and watch the pair in action.
 
Duo's mind wandered back to the first time he'd seen Heero and his horse at the Salsbury Agricultural show. He'd admired the combination then, noting how Heero seemed to literally become a part of his horse. The pair were a sheer joy to watch, the trust, skill and raw beauty of the pair demanded your attention; and Duo was happy to give his. Heero was taking the gray around a few of the jumps he'd set up in the paddock. While Duo wasn't an experienced horseman he'd learnt enough from his own dealings with the animals and Heero's patient teaching to understand the basics a lot better and could now tell how a horse was performing simply by looking.
 
Zero appeared to be in a good mood, his gray tail kinked up, gait light and bouncy. While Heero seemed to be doing nothing other than sitting in the saddle, Duo could tell the man was seriously busy, keeping his horse together and moving forward with grace and confidence. Zero's ears went forward as his rider turned him towards a large upright fence. Duo eyed it up and guessed it was around four foot six, fairly high but not as high as what Zero would be required to jump if he was to catch the selectors' eye for the Nations Cup team.
 
Heero was concentrating hard, keeping Zero at a steady pace, full of impulsion yet light and responsive between his hand and leg. He lined the fence up and brought Zero around to face it. Steadying the horse, Heero applied a little more leg and felt Zero respond by lengthening his stride. Hands were light on the reins, just holding the horse in check with a simple touch. Three strides away from the jump, Heero let his body weight shift forwards and up out of the saddle slightly, taking his own weight through his leg to the stirrups but still riding Zero forwards. Zero responded by bringing his hindquarters underneath himself and gathering his body together in readiness for take off.
 
Hind legs came well underneath and Zero pushed himself up from the ground. Forelegs left the earth and tucked up underneath his chest as his hind end propelled the large body into the air. Heero followed the movement of his horse, hands sliding up the neck so as not to interfere with Zero's mouth and forward momentum. Hind legs left the ground and Zero sailed up over the poles seeming to hang in mid air for a brief moment before his forelegs began to unfold and stretch out in preparation for the landing. Hooves bit into the turf as the gray landed and then Zero was moving away from the jump, Heero sitting down in his saddle and bringing the animal back together again, patting the gray neck as he did so.
 
Circling around and bringing Zero back to a walk, Heero spotted the vet leaning against the paddock fence and turned the horse around to ride over.
 
"Nice jump," said Duo as he patted Zero's neck when Heero brought the horse to a halt beside the fence.
 
"I'm pleased with him," replied Heero as he stroked the sweaty shoulder. "He's coming along nicely and should hit his peak about a quarter of the way into the season."
 
"Good." Duo moved aside to the gate and opened it for Hero to ride through. Closing it behind the horse, Duo walked beside the animal as Heero rode back to the stable block.
 
"Did you speak to Catherine?" asked Heero as he dismounted and led Zero inside to unsaddle.
 
"Yeah, I did," replied Duo as he leaned against the stable wall and watched his boyfriend as he went about brushing Zero down in preparation for rugging him up.
 
"What did she say?"
 
Duo repeated what had transpired at Trowa's and finished up by letting Heero know she would be coming over on the Monday to learn the basics.
 
"That's great. It will certainly help you out and ease the load a little for me too," responded Heero from underneath Zero's belly where he was brushing the dried sweat away.
 
Duo passed over Zero's cotton rug. "I think she will work out okay."
 
"Can't see any reason why she shouldn't," stated Heero as he clipped up the leg straps.
 
Duo didn't respond immediately, he'd picked up Zero's saddle and was taking it into the tack room to place it on the saddle horse. He emerged a moment later with some familiar orange things in his hand. Zero wuffled as he caught the smell of carrots. "She's going to come in on a two week trial period," began Duo as he fed Zero a carrot. "Depending on how she goes during those two weeks will determine if she stays on permanently or leaves. Geeze, you're a real piglet, Zero," Duo chastised the horse as Zero pinched the remainder of the carrot from Duo's hand.
 
Heero snickered. "I'm betting she stays."
 
"I hope so," sighed Duo. "Okay, piggy, here's the rest of it. How the heck you can fit any more into that gob of yours is beyond me," growled Duo as he watched the greedy animal take the rest of the carrots. Zero's mouth was that full some of the carrot bits were dropping out as he tried to chew.
 
"I never did manage to teach him any manners," stated Heero as he watched his horse stuffing the carrots down his throat and then vacuuming the floor for the bits he'd dropped.
 
"I'm glad you don't eat like that," snorted Duo.
 
"That's one thing about me, I'm fairly well house trained," replied Heero as he came up behind Duo and wrapped his arms around his boyfriend's waist, pulling him back against his chest.
 
Duo reached an arm up and back around Heero's neck, tilting and turning his head until he could see into those cobalt depths. "Perfectly house trained I'd say." Duo's lips stole a kiss.
 
Heero nuzzled against Duo's neck for a moment before breaking the connection. "I'll finish bringing the horses in and meet you up the house for dinner in about half an hour."
 
"Okay. I'll go start cooking and check that Hilde is okay."
 
"I've left some paperwork on the kitchen table, just show schedules and stuff. Dump it on the dresser if it's in your way."
 
"Show schedules?" Duo's ears pricked up as he followed Heero who was leading Zero into his stable.
 
"Yeah. I got a few in the mail today and some from Treize. I want to go through them after dinner and plan out the shows for Zero. If you don't mind I would appreciate a little help with it."
 
"I don't mind, could be fun," smiled Duo.
 
Heero shut the stable door and kissed the vet. "Thanks."
 
"No problem."
 
"I'll make it worth your while," said Heero in a low tone.
 
"You don't have to... oh... Mmmmm... nice." Duo's mind went on a hiatus as his body responded to the gentle caresses Heero was gifting his back and buttocks with whilst nuzzling along his throat again.
 
"I know I don't have to, I want to."
 
"That's fine with me, Heero."
 
"Good. I'll see you up the house shortly." Heero pulled away and went to fetch Scythe and Shini from the paddocks leaving a slightly dazed and partially aroused vet behind him.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...