Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 7 ( Chapter 7 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne? Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
 
Chapter 7
 
Catherine watched as the vet let fly with a barrage of curses at the computer, only when it looked like Duo was about to attack the computer with the stapler did she intervene. "Ah, Doctor Maxwell, I don't think putting a metallic object through the screen is going to be a good idea. Metal, electricity and the resulting broken circuits would not be beneficial to your current state of health."
 
Duo paused and turned slowly to face the woman. He blinked a couple of times and then dropped the stapler back to the desk. "You're right," he sighed. "Maybe I'll just rearrange its innards when it's switched off, castrate its chips or something." Duo slumped in his chair. "I just don't get it," he groaned. "It's not that hard to do, just type in the information, make sure it's in the right folders and on the right forms then save it all to the hard drive. I did it the other day without any problems, and the day before that."
 
Catherine patted the vet lightly on the shoulder. "Don't worry, I'm sure it's something simple."
 
"What's simple?" asked Heero as he reappeared from putting out the trash.
 
"This useless piece of crap has kidnapped all my data again and refuses to give it back. It's holding it hostage somewhere in its circuits and as if that's not bad enough it's gone blue screen on me," grumbled Duo as he glared hatefully at the computer.
 
Heero suppressed the smirk. "Let me have a look at it, I should be able to figure out what's going on with it."
 
Grudgingly, Duo got up and let Heero take the chair. "I've said it before and I'll say it again, that thing is possessed, it doesn't need a computer technician, it needs a priest."
 
"A priest?" asked Catherine.
 
"Yeah. It needs an exorcism."
 
Catherine snorted. "Isn't that a bit drastic?"
 
"You haven't had to deal with its demonic capabilities - yet."
 
"Duo, it doesn't need exorcising, there is nothing supernatural or demonic about it. This computer is nothing other than wires, chips and memory cards," said Heero as he continued to sort out Nrobbuts; he'd heard all this before from Duo. Usually Duo had simply hit the wrong button or done something similar so it didn't normally take much for Heero to sort it out. He just wished he could convince his partner that the machine was just that: a machine. He made a mental note to hide Duo's movie '2001 - A Space Odyssey' from the vet for a while, he'd had enough comparisons between Hal and Nrobbuts to last him a lifetime.
 
"Wires, chips and memory cards that are out to get me," huffed Duo. He turned to face Cathy. "This... 'thing'," he began, "will work perfectly well for anyone whose name is not Duo. Heero never has a problem with it, Hilde can get it to cooperate perfectly; no doubt it will be on its best behavior for you... As soon as it sees me though - forget it. All bets are off and it comes alive. I swear if it could, it would attack me with its mouse."
 
Catherine couldn't help but laugh, the thought of the vet being attacked by a computer mouse was just too funny.
 
"Take no notice of him, Catherine. He likes to be dramatic. There is nothing wrong with the computer at all," stated Heero as he brought the data files back up on the screen. "It's usually something simple such as a wrong button being hit."
 
Nrobbuts whirred and clicked, saving all the data and glowing smugly.
 
"That's it!" exclaimed Duo, throwing his hands up into the air. "I refuse to touch that damn thing again. I'm off to the house where at least Gertrude appreciates me." Turning around, Duo marched out of the reception area in a huff.
 
"Gertrude?" questioned Catherine.
 
"The washing machine."
 
"Ah?"
 
"Don't ask, it's too complicated and I'm sure you will find out soon enough anyway. Now, come here and I'll show you step by step how to get the data logged onto the computer and which files and such it goes into." Heero fixed his attention back on the screen, Catherine joining him.
 
Up at the house, Duo had collected the laundry and was busy loading it into the machine. "At least you behave yourself, Gertrude," muttered Duo as he added the soap powder, shut the lid and turned the dial. Pulling the button out, the machine began to fill with water. Duo patted it affectionately. "Good girl."
 
Gertrude gurgled in reply.
 
***
 
Catherine settled into the practice routine with ease, coping comfortably with the 'secretarial' duties and proving to be an asset to the vets when they needed a hand. Hilde especially hit it off with Catherine and the two became firm friends. Nothing more was said about Duo's 'episode' with Nrobbuts but the long haired vet avoided the computer at all costs. He would glare balefully at it from time to time and refuse to touch it unless absolutely necessary; and only then if he'd crossed himself several times and said at least four Hail Marys. Not that Duo was a religious person by nature but he liked to have all bases covered.
 
Heero had taken his list of shows with him to Treize's but the pair hadn't had a chance to sit down together and discuss the proposed list until several days later. During a break between schooling horses, Heero brought up the topic of shows and what he'd outlined for the season. Treize fetched his own schedules and the pair went through them together. Treize was impressed with the list that Heero had drawn up, noting how he'd incorporated a few shows that all the horses could compete in. Going over the list and comparing it with what Treize had selected, the pair worked out a possible, final list.
 
The number of events originally planned for Sandrock and Taurus was cut back slightly, but Treize didn't interfere with what Heero had planned for Zero, after all the horse belonged to Heero and Treize knew the young rider was keen to qualify for the short list for the Nations Cup. Treize was hoping to get Tall Geese selected and if the horse continued to improve the way he was, there was no reason why he shouldn't stand a chance.
 
Given the 'green' [1] status of both Taurus and Sandrock, Treize thought it best to keep the younger horses' number of competitions to a few less than what Heero had suggested. Not that Treize had any doubts about Heero's capabilities, he was more concerned about Taurus and how the horse would react in competition. There was no denying that the animal was hot headed and Treize couldn't get rid of the niggling feeling that the horse was a time bomb just waiting to explode. He hoped that by restricting the horse to fewer competitions it would give Heero, as well as Taurus, a chance to settle into competition. The animal certainly showed great potential, which was why Treize still retained him. As a youngster Taurus had been difficult to handle, not taking to being disciplined too well and while he wasn't vicious, he was definitely strong willed. Treize had had the colt gelded when he was eighteen months old in the hope that it might help to quieten the horse; it helped a little, making him a bit easier to handle on the ground.
 
Scanning through the schedules again, Treize's eyes fell on a schedule for a small show in a neighboring village. He paused and read through the entry form and conditions again. "Have a look at this, Heero," said Treize as he passed over the schedule.
 
Heero took the paper and glanced over it. "Interesting," he commented.
 
"Might be a good way to start the season off, give the nags a chance to get their jumping legs," mused Treize. "It's a non graded show from what I can tell so it's not going to affect Taurus or Sandy as far as points go. It would also give us the chance to see exactly what Taurus is likely to do when faced with all the trimmings of a show without too much pressure."
 
"Sounds like a good idea," replied Heero as he looked at the list of classes available.
 
"I'd suggest the open Novice AM3 for Sandy and Taurus. What do you think?"
 
"Hmmm. I'd have to agree. It shouldn't be any higher than what they're currently jumping," said Heero absently as he continued to read through the schedule.
 
"States here that the course will be a minimum of two foot nine, maximum of three foot six."
 
"When do the entries close?"
 
Treize glanced through the show's list of rules and regulations. "It's entry on the day."
 
"I'm game if you are." Heero did a quick memory search. As far as he could recall that weekend would be Duo's one off so the vet would be able to accompany him. Heero knew how much Duo enjoyed attending the shows with him and was happy to play the part of groom at each show he could make it to.
 
"There's an Open Jumping class as well, doesn't say anything about being E.F.A. registered so I guess that means anyone can enter. We won't gain any points though if we place."
 
"Doesn't matter. I'd like to get Zero out and give him a go around, would do him the world of good," said Heero.
 
"I think I'd take Tall Geese as well."
 
"So, it's a goer then?"
 
Treize shrugged his shoulders. "Why not?"
 
"Great. I'll let Duo know, he's bound to want to come along too."
 
Treize smiled. "Fine. Let's get this other list finalized and fill out the entries. I can send them all off tomorrow. You got your copy?"
 
Heero picked up his piece of paper with the season's shows on it. "Right here."
 
"Good. Now which was the first show?"
 
The pair spent the remainder of the afternoon filling out the various entry forms with all the details necessary for the shows, double checking they had everything right. Heero left around three, his own entry forms tucked into his diary and filled out. All he needed to do was put the entry fee with them and post them off.
 
***
 
That evening, Heero informed Duo of the plans for the season's shows, showing the vet the final list that Treize and he had worked out. He also mentioned taking Zero to the show in the neighboring village that Treize had suggested. As predicted, Duo was enthusiastic and offered his help as 'groom'. Heero accepted the offer and sealed it with a kiss.
 
The next week was spent getting the horses ready for the show, Heero giving Zero some hard work over higher fences while still battling with a strong willed Taurus at Treize's. The final arrangements were made for the show, Heero and Duo would travel down together with Zero; Treize would bring Tall Geese, Taurus Sandrock and Short Duck in his own horse truck and meet the other two at the showgrounds.
 
Otto, one of Treize's grooms, would accompany Treize and assist with the Kushrenada horses while Heero had Duo to help with Zero. The day before the show saw the usual bustle of activity, Zero had a bath, much to the stallion's disgust, as Heero deemed him to be brown and not gray with all the dirt he'd been rolling in. The car was packed with enough gear to stock a small saddler's shop as well as water bucket, haynet, spare hay and of course; carrots. The float was hitched up, Zero rugged and fed and all that remained was for Heero to put in his boots and jacket.
 
Both men went to bed early, exhausted from the day's efforts. Duo's consolation was that at least Heero didn't compete in Hacking classes or Dressage; if he did, they would have had to plait Zero's mane as well!
 
* * *
 
The day of the show dawned fine, a few clouds graced the sky but the weather promised to be mild. Heero was already up and about when Duo dragged himself from the bed and went through to the kitchen to make breakfast. By the time the eggs were cooked and the toast buttered, Heero had returned from feeding the horses and cleaning out the stables.
 
"Here," said Duo as Heero came back into the kitchen and sat down at the table. "Get that into you before you go change."
 
A plate of eggs and toast was put in front of him and Heero smiled. "Thanks," he said as he picked up his cutlery and began to eat.
 
Duo sat opposite, his own plate in front of him and began to tackle his breakfast with enthusiasm. "Have you put Scythe and Shini out yet?"
 
"No. I thought I'd leave them in until we're ready to load Zero up."
 
"Good thinking. I'll go and put them out while you get Zero's floating boots on him," said Duo around a mouthful of toast.
 
"Thanks, that would be a big help."
 
"What time is your first class?"
 
"Eleven. That's the Novice AM3. Zero's class isn't until the afternoon; two, I think it starts. I won't know where in the field I'm jumping until all the entries are in. I hope it's mid field though," replied Heero as he finished mopping up the egg yolk with a piece of toast.
 
"Treize going to be okay bringing those horses down himself?"
 
"Yeah. He's bringing Otto with him."
 
"Right." Duo placed his knife and fork on his empty plate. "I'll take care of the dishes while you get changed," he said as he stood up.
 
"Okay. I won't be long." Heero kissed the vet and disappeared into the bedroom to change into his shirt, tie and jodhpurs. Duo chuckled softly and washed the dishes.
 
***
 
Pulling into the show ground, Heero quickly spotted Treize's truck and drove slowly over the grass to park next to it. Duo gave a low whistle of appreciation.
 
"Nice transport," he said as his eyes raked over the impressive truck.
 
"It's certainly a piece of work," said Heero. "It transports up to six horses with a small sort of living area up the front."
 
Duo gazed over the vehicle. It was what was commonly called a 'gooseneck' [2] which meant the transport section attached to a small 'truck'. The back section was rectangular in shape with two ramp doors that dropped down from the side. Inside those ramps you could fit three horses per section; one on the far side, one in the middle and one by the ramp itself; a total of six horses in all. There was a small door to the front of the first ramp and that led to a 'tack room'. Duo could see the bridles, saddles and numerous other items inside. At the front, where the front of the truck went into the 'neck' shape was another door. This was the living area Heero had spoken of.
 
"Treize uses it mainly when he goes to shows that are quite a distance away. It's cheaper than staying in hotels. You can bunk down in the front and have your horses in the back. It's even got a small kitchen inside," explained Heero as he parked the car and turned the engine off.
 
Duo made a mental note to check the truck out later. They exited the car and set about getting Zero off the float.
 
Treize had seen them pull up and stepped out of the 'living compartment' to greet them. "Good to see you made it okay," said Treize as he watched Duo and Heero dropping the ramp and getting Zero off the float.
 
"Should be a good day," replied Heero. "The ground doesn't appear to be too hard and the weather is fine. You remember Duo, don't you, Treize?"
 
"Of course. It's a pleasure to see you again, Doctor Maxwell," said Treize as he extended his hand.
 
Duo took the hand and shook it. "It's good to see you again too, Treize, and please, call me Duo."
 
"The secretary's tent is over that way," began Treize. "As soon as you're sorted out I suggest we head over there and get these animals entered."
 
"You go ahead, Heero. I can sort out Zero while you enter," said Duo as he patted the gray's neck.
 
"You sure?"
 
"Yeah, he's no trouble."
 
"Okay. Thanks." Heero squeezed Duo's arm by way of appreciation. He'd much rather have kissed his partner but they were in a public place and same sex relationships were still rather taboo so he didn't dare; plus Treize was around and while Heero didn't think the other rider would have a problem with Heero's sexual orientation, it was a risk he wasn't about to take.
 
Heero left with Treize to enter the horses and Duo set about making Zero comfortable, removing the float boots and getting the horse a hay net and water bucket. Alongside him, at Treize's truck, Otto was similarly settling the Kushrenada horses. Once Duo was done with Zero he wandered over to meet the groom.
 
"Hi, I'm Duo."
 
"Otto. Pleased to meet you," replied the other man as he paused from tying up Tall Geese to shake hands with the vet. A banging noise came from within the trailer. "Okay, okay, hold your horses, I'm coming," the groom muttered.
 
"Impatient?" Duo said with a laugh.
 
"You have no idea," replied Otto with a touch of sarcasm as he disappeared into the bowels of the trailer.
 
There was the sound of scuffling followed by a snort then a grunt. A high pitched whinny followed and then Otto reappeared leading a small pony. Duo's eyes widened and a grin crinkled his mouth. "Don't tell me that's Treize's new jumper?" he snickered.
 
Otto joined in the mirth, giving a chuckle of his own. "Nah, this is Short Duck, Goose's companion. The pair are just about inseparable. Anywhere Goose goes, Duck has to go too."
 
"Ahh, so this is the mighty midget Heero was telling me about," said Duo as he approached the mini pony and gave the neck a friendly pat. "Is it true that Tall Geese won't jump unless this pony is around?"
 
"Yup. Animal won't jump a stick if Duck isn't on the same grounds. I've heard of animals bonding with another but these two take it to the extremes!" stated Otto as he placed a water bucket in front of the pony and then attempted to tie up a hay net for him as well.
 
Duck did his best to pinch the hay as Otto struggled to tie the net up, shoving and pushing the groom until Otto was close to losing his patience. Duo grabbed the halter and pulled the pony back a bit. "Strong little thing, isn't he?" he said as the pony pulled against him.
 
"Yeah, he's a headstrong little shit when he wants to be. Thanks." Otto finished tying up the hay net and Duo released the pony. Immediately Duck bulldozed forward and snatched a mouthful of hay.
 
"He needs a few more lessons in manners if you ask me," grinned Otto but gave the pony's ears a friendly pull.
 
Duo chuckled and then spotted Heero and Treize returning. "Everything okay?" he asked as the pair stopped at the trailers.
 
"Yes. All horses are entered and we have about an hour before the Novice class starts," replied Heero. "Don't know the jumping order yet as the entries don't close for another fifteen minutes. They will post it up once all entries are in."
 
"I think we should walk the course now. By the time we have the jumping order should be up and we will know when to start warming up the nags," said Treize as he gazed across to the ring where brightly colored poles and jump wings glittered in the sunlight.
 
"Good idea. I'll get my helmet, spurs, jacket and whip then," [3] said Heero and turned to go to the car. "You're going to walk the course with us, aren't you, Duo?"
 
"Sure," replied Duo.
 
"Then let's go." Heero removed his coveralls from over the top of his jumping attire and slipped into his jacket. Placing his helmet on his head, he carried his whip and spurs in his hand. The three of them set off for the ring leaving Otto to keep an eye on the horses.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc.....
 
[1] Green: This is a term used in the equestrian world to describe a horse that hasn't had much experience and is still in the 'education' stages.
 
[2] Gooseneck float: To better see what a gooseneck trailer looks like take a look here: http://www.drydentrailers.com.au/photo_gallery_horse_floats.htm
 
[3] It is an E.F.A. ruling that when competitors walk a showjumping course they must be dressed in their riding attire and be either wearing or carrying their helmet and any other accessory (whip, spurs) they intend to use when they compete. Failure to do so can result in elimination.