Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 9 ( Chapter 9 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne? Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Rating: NC 17
 
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 9
 
Duo finished brushing Zero and went to fetch the horse's jumping boots. He put them on, securing the buckles and checking that they weren't too tight. With the boots fitted correctly, Duo went to fetch Zero's saddle, placing the saddle blanket on first, then the saddle and sliding it back into the correct position as Heero had taught him. Happy with the saddle's position, Duo did up the girth, remembering that Zero liked to blow out his tummy a bit. He secured it for the moment. He'd check it again in a couple of minutes, no doubt it would go up another three or four holes. Just as Duo was fetching the bridle so Heero and Treize returned.
 
"What's the course like?" asked Duo as he paused, bridle in hand.
 
"Not too bad. Only one tricky part and that's the gate, it's got a false ground line," replied Heero as he checked Zero's girth, pulling it up a couple of holes.
 
"False ground line?" echoed Duo.
 
"Yeah. It's an old trick. The jump is set so it appears to the horse that the ground line, or place where the horse will judge its take off point from is in the correct position when in fact it isn't. It's a clever trick to sort out the educated from the non-educated. By that I mean the horse will need to listen to and trust his rider to place him in the right spot to take off."
 
"Ah. Sneaky then?"
 
"Yup, you could say that. If the horse is the type that picks its own take off point then he's going to find himself in trouble as he will be too far away to clear the fence."
 
"What does Treize think?" Duo began to put the bridle on Zero while Heero checked his spurs and did his helmet strap up.
 
"He likes it. It shouldn't pose any problem to Goose, Zero either for that matter."
 
Duo gave a snicker and Heero looked up, the question in his eyes. "I was just thinking..."
 
"Oh, yeah?"
 
"The pair of you are in the same class but there can only be one winner. What happens if you beat Treize? It's not gonna look all that good for the employee to beat the boss."
 
Heero laughed. "Actually it wouldn't matter. If I beat Treize then it shows what a good teacher he is. If he wins then he's still happy."
 
"Makes sense I suppose."
 
Heero checked the girth again before pulling down his stirrups and mounting. Zero felt light, bouncy and yet completely under control after Taurus and Sandrock. The gray's ears swiveled around, taking in the sounds around him. Liquid brown eyes sparkled and nostrils flared as Zero walked with easy strides to the warm up area.
 
Duo followed along behind, having let Treize know they were going to warm up the gray. Treize had acknowledged and replied he'd be along shortly with Goose. Settling under his tree again, Duo watched Heero start his warm up, occasionally dragging his eyes away from his lover to see how the other horses and riders around were doing. Duo guessed that some of them were in the same class as Heero and he amused himself by trying to pick out who Heero's competition would be and what sort of threat they might pose to Zero and his chances of finishing in the top three. Treize arrived and went to warm up Goose, Otto parked himself with Duo and the two exchanged conversation on their respective 'charges'.
 
Having warmed up enough on the flat, Heero turned the gray towards the practice jumps. Zero's ears were pricked, his attention on the jump and his rider. Long strides ate up the ground as Zero approached the jump and with a whisk of his tail, cleared it effortlessly. Heero stroked the strong neck and brought the horse around for another jump. Again Zero cleared the fence with ease, his eyes shining with his obvious love of jumping. Having completed another five practice jumps, all with ease, Heero brought the gray to a walk and headed for the tree and his partner.
 
Bringing Zero to a halt, Heero patted the horse. Zero immediately began to search Duo's pockets for carrots, soft wuffling noises coming from him as he smelt his favorite treat.
 
Digging into his pocket, Duo produced the sought after carrot and fed it to Zero. "There you go, piggy. Guess you think you've earned that."
 
Zero just looked at the vet with a smug expression on his face as if to say 'I know I'm good,' and then proceeded to search Duo's person for more carrots.
 
"He sure loves those," chuckled Otto.
 
"That's an understatement," replied Duo. "Give this horse a carrot and he's your friend for life."
 
Otto laughed and petted the big gray. "He's a nice horse, Heero."
 
"Thanks. I think he's the best, but then again, I'm rather biased."
 
The public address system crackled into life, calling for all competitors in the Open Jumping to present to the collecting ring.
 
Treize and Heero rode towards the ring, Duo and Otto walking a little way behind. Duo made a side visit to the horse float to collect more carrots, Zero having cleaned him out earlier. He caught up with Heero just as the first competitor was entering the ring. They stood and watched as the girl rode the course, taking it at a very slow pace.
 
"If she doesn't increase her impulsion that horse is going to pull a few rails," said Treize as he watched the bay 'crawl' up to the brush fence. The horse cleared it; but only just. Jumping the next fence, Treize's prediction came true, the horse knocking the top rail off with his forelegs. The girl seemed to ride the bay on more after that but they still knocked down a couple more rails and finished the course with twelve faults.
 
The next rider to go was an older woman on a brown thoroughbred. The horse started off well but looked a little out of its league as it got further around the course and the jumps increased in height. To Duo, it looked like the horse hadn't been jumping these heights for very long. Heero voiced his suspicions.
 
"That horse has only just been upgraded to B grade."
 
"Looks like it too," replied Treize. "It could have done with staying in C grade for a bit longer."
 
"I think she's only got it out today to see if it can cope with the higher heights."
 
"It's got potential, but I think she should apply to the E.F.A. to have it remain in C grade for another season, by that stage it should be experienced enough to cope with B grade courses."
 
"I agree," replied Heero as the brown refused the wall.
 
Duo glanced at Otto who gave him a grin. "I think they've forgotten we're here."
 
"Shit! That was lucky," exclaimed Treize as the brown jumped the wall on its second attempt but sent the top two layers of 'bricks' flying and stumbled on landing.
 
The woman, obviously realizing her horse wasn't happy, pulled the animal up and doffed her helmet to the judge.
 
"Smart move," said Heero.
 
"What was?" asked Duo, he couldn't tell what the woman was doing.
 
"She's retiring from the competition. She's realized her horse is having problems and rather than keep pushing him and risk the horse having an accident or losing his nerve, she's taking him out of the competition," replied Heero.
 
"Ah."
 
"Number eight? Number eight?"
 
"Heero, that's you," said Duo as he heard the marshal calling Heero's number.
 
"Shit! Duo, could you check my girth please?"
 
Duo quickly checked Zero's girth and wished his partner good luck. With a look of determination in his eye, Heero entered the ring.
 
Saluting the judge, Heero headed for the start flags, Zero fresh and eager beneath him. "Take it easy, boy. This one's for practice more than anything. The serious shows start in another couple of weeks."
 
Zero gave a snort and tossed his head.
 
The bell rang and Heero rode through the start and was on his way. Back in the collecting ring, Duo watched nervously. He couldn't help it. Every time Heero competed, Duo would get the jitters for him. Treize watched the long haired vet, noting the slightly agitated state of the man as Heero began his course. It served to continue to fuel his suspicions about the pair. Treize knew his curiosity would win out in the end so he made a mental note to ask Heero about his relationship with Duo when they got together to discuss Taurus and his future on the Wednesday.
 
"He's going well so far," remarked Otto.
 
Treize turned his attention back to the pair in the ring, Heero was approaching fence four and all clear so far. The big gray collected himself together and hopped over the parallel bars with ease, his ears cocked and looking for the next jump.
 
Heero was enjoying himself. Zero was going beautifully, willing but responsive to his slightest touch. So far the fences hadn't given the horse any problems and Heero could feel the animal was enjoying himself as well. They cleared the brush fence then turned and lined up for the double. The first element loomed before them and with a soft grunt, Zero cleared it, landing and getting his hind quarters underneath himself for the second element. Two strides and the gray was in the air again, sailing over the second element. The upright rails were next and then Zero was heading for the wall.
 
* * *
 
Short Duck had finished off his hay net, vacuumed up all the wisps that had dropped out onto the ground and was now, bored. To the side of him, Taurus stood pulling at his own hay net, on the other side, Sandrock dozed, resting a hind leg, eyes shut and half full haynet still hanging. Duck sidled over, intent on pinching the chestnut's hay only to be brought up short by the lead rope. Frustrated, the mini pony tossed his head and pulled, stretching his neck as far as he could. He was still a good foot away from the tempting hay net and not likely to get any closer. Not the type to give up easily, Duck turned back to the rope that held him and began to nibble on it, grasping it in his teeth and pulling from time to time.
 
Horses are quite intelligent creatures, mini ponies in particular are very smart. Whoever said that horses were stupid had never met Short Duck. Whilst he might be short in stature, Duck was certainly not lacking in brain capacity. He chewed and tugged on the rope for a bit, relieving a little of his boredom before trying once more to reach Sandy's hay net. The rope though, still held him in check. Duck went back to tugging the rope with his teeth, only this time he pulled on the trailing end. Treize always had his horses tied up using a quick release knot. That way if the horse got into trouble all you had to do was pull on the trailing end and the knot would completely undo. Unfortunately for Treize, Duck found this out. Pulling on the rope, the knot slipped free and Duck suddenly discovered, much to his delight, that he could now reach the tempting hay net, even if he did have to stretch his neck upwards rather a lot.
 
Happily, Duck munched away, flattening his ears in threat when Sandrock tried to protest the loss of his hay. With the hay now all gone, Duck began to scrounge around for more food. He didn't find anything more around the trailer and with his newfound freedom, decided to do a little exploring. He wondered where his mate was and flared his nostrils, testing the wind and seeing if he could pick up the scent of Goose. He found it and with a toss of his head, set off to find his mate.
 
* * *
 
Zero cleared the wall with ease and turned to make the run into the gate. "Tricky one this time, my son," muttered Heero.
 
Zero cocked back an ear and felt the subtle shift of his rider's weight. A light touch to the bit in his mouth alerted Zero that something new was coming, the gentle pressure of legs against his sides combined with the light restraint on the bit in his mouth and Zero shortened his stride.
 
"Easy," said Heero.
 
Zero could see the gate ahead and was eager to jump it. He'd lined it up in his sight but waited for his master's signal. Legs came firmly against his side and Zero bounded forwards, listening to the signals from his rider and ignoring his own pre-determined take off point. The fence disappeared from Zero's sight but the horse relied on his master to keep him safe. Another push from his rider's legs and Zero lengthened out, a third push and the big gray gathered himself together, hind legs coming right underneath his body and propelling him into the air.
 
Treize whistled through his teeth. "Bloody nice jump!"
 
Duo couldn't help but grin. The partnership between horse and rider never ceased to amaze him.
 
Zero cleared the last two fences in the same, effortless fashion and passed between the finish flags to the sound of applause from the spectators and the public address system stating that rider number eight had a clear round.
 
As soon as Zero entered the collecting ring he began his search of Duo's person, politely asking for the carrots he knew the nice man would have for him. He knew he'd been good, his master's voice and the petting he'd gotten told him that much, but he wanted his reward.
 
Duo didn't disappoint the gray. The muzzle tickled as it roamed over Duo's upper torso searching for the carrots. Gently, Duo pushed the horse's face away and dipped into his pocket, producing two carrots which were eaten with enthusiasm.
 
"Good round," said Otto as he patted the gray.
 
"Very nicely done, Heero. You've set the challenge now," stated Treize with a smile.
 
"It's not that hard a course if your horse listens to you," replied Heero. "Zero was great, he did everything I asked him to so I'm pleased."
 
"You're a good boy, aren't you, Zero?" Duo continued to make a fuss of the horse and feed him carrots, despite the slobber and mess the gray was making.
 
Heero dismounted and loosened the girth. Moving to stand next to Duo, Heero brushed against the vet and gave him a smile. He was longing to take Duo in his arms and hug him but it would have to wait. Maybe they could make another visit to the 'gents' before they left; purely for the call of nature of course.
 
Having finished feeding Zero the carrots, they turned their attention back to the ring and the other competitors.
 
* * *
 
Short Duck could catch whiffs of his mate's scent on the breeze and headed in the general direction of the ring. He paused from time to time to scavenge around a deserted float, cleaning up hay or feed whenever he found it. A couple of times he'd approached a float where a horse was tied up and attempted to help himself to that animal's feed only to be chased away by teeth or hooves from a none too happy horse.
 
The scent of his mate was getting stronger as Duck drew ever closer to the collecting ring.
 
* * *
 
Treize was next to go, Otto checking Goose's girth and jumping boots while Treize watched the competitor before him attack the course with gusto. An amused smile graced his lips as the horse in the ring, a bay, was motoring fast around the jumps. He cleared everything in his path but Treize didn't think they would be too much in the way of a threat to Heero in the jump off. The horse wouldn't be able to keep that sort of speed up without coming to grief somewhere along the line. Thundering through the finish, the public address system announced another clear round making a total of four so far including Heero's.
 
"Good luck, boss." Otto patted the bay's neck.
 
"Yeah. Good luck, Treize," said Duo with a friendly smile.
 
"Show us all how it should be done," added Heero.
 
Treize gave them a mock salute and then entered the ring.
 
Duo hadn't seen Treize jump all that much, he was usually too busy helping Heero with Zero so his viewing time was fairly limited. This time though, they were all there together and with Heero holding his horse, Duo was free to watch. He had to admit the pair were striking together. Goose with his muscular, compact body moved effortlessly across the grass towards the judge. Treize sat the horse with a natural grace, his slender body fitting perfectly with the animal and even to an experienced person, the pair oozed class and confidence.
 
"He should do all right," said Heero as he watched the bay break into a canter and head for the start flags.
 
Otto and Duo declined to comment, both absorbed in watching the horse and rider.
 
Starting off slowly, Treize gradually increased his pace as Tall Geese settled into his rhythm. Jump after jump was cleared in Goose's effortless style and soon the pair were approaching the double. Treize balanced his horse, sitting deep into his saddle and driving Goose's hocks underneath the animal thus ensuring he had the impulsion needed to clear both obstacles. Goose took the first element, landed, took two strides and launched himself into the air for the second element. Hooves bit deep into the grass as Goose landed and got himself back together again.
 
"Beautifully ridden," commented Heero. Duo and Otto simply nodded in agreement.
 
Goose approached the gate, Treize asking the horse for his full attention and Goose giving it. Treize had picked out his take off point and brought the horse in on the perfect stride. The big bay flew into the air and cleared the gate with inches to spare. The remaining two jumps were easily cleared and Treize left the ring with a clear round and putting him into the jump off.
 
Riding into the collecting ring, Treize was congratulated by the 'cheer squad' and accepted the praise with grace, patting his horse and making a fuss of the animal. Duo produced a carrot for Goose, much to Zero's indignation. Those were his carrots and Zero didn't care much for them being given to the 'opposition'. He let it be known too with a sharp nudge to Duo's back.
 
"I think Zero is jealous," remarked Treize.
 
"He's just greedy," came Duo's reply as he turned around to confront the gray. "You're a piglet, aren't you, Zero?" he said as he pulled the gray ears affectionately.
 
Zero gave him another nudge and a hopeful look.
 
"No, no more carrots until you finish your jumping. You don't need the extra weight, you already have enough to carry." teased Duo.
 
Hearing the words, Heero's head snapped around. "I am not that heavy!"
 
"I never said you were," snickered Duo. "You were the one that said it."
 
Heero chewed on that for a moment and realized he wasn't going to win this argument, so he changed the subject. "What was the jump off course?"
 
Treize laughed and gave Duo the thumbs up before turning back to Heero and his question. The friendly banter between the pair was certainly amusing.
 
The remaining two riders completed their courses, one scoring eight faults and the other four for a refusal which meant neither one went through to the jump off. The officials raised the jumps that were being used for the jump off and gave the competitors five minutes to walk the course. Treize and Heero walked it together, exchanging comments and ideas on which was the best way to tackle it. Returning to the collecting ring, Heero tightened Zero's girth and mounted. He was first to go in the jump off, Treize was last and technically speaking, had the advantage.
 
Heero's jaw was set with determination, he was going to give this his best shot, hopefully go clear and give the others something really fast time wise to chase. Duo recognized the look in his partner's eye and casually rested a hand on Heero's calf. Heero looked down at the contact and met with cheerful amethyst.
 
"Go for it, Heero," Duo said quietly and then mouthed, 'Love you.'
 
Leaning down on the pretense of adjusting his spur, Heero whispered in Duo's ear. "Love you too," then as he straightened he gave Duo's ear a quick lick, sending shivers down Duo's spine.
 
The marshal called Heero's number and the young accountant entered the ring, Zero full of bounce and eager to jump beneath him. Saluting the judge, Heero rode for the start, the bell went and they were off.
 
Back in the collecting ring, Duo's eyes darted continuously from his boyfriend to the clock and back again, watching the seconds tick by as Zero cleared fence after fence.
 
Jumps one, three and four all passed beneath the gray horse as he sailed over them with ease. The double was next and Zero came into it perfectly, clearing both elements, his ears pricked and looking for the next fence. Heero had decided to take a risk here and hoped it would pay off. He only had the wall and the gate to go and if he brought Zero in on a forty-five degree angle to the wall it should put him within five strides of the gate and not eight if he was to take it center on and without the angle. Riding Zero together, he collected the horse and sent him at the wall.
 
"Cheeky bugger," mused Treize.
 
"Huh?" asked Duo, his eyes still on the horse as it jumped the wall on what appeared to be a very acute angle to Duo.
 
"By angling the wall he has fewer strides to the gate and saves precious seconds."
 
"Ah." Duo's eyes looked at the timer again.
 
Zero jumped the wall, landed and then took five strides to the gate, trusting his master and the aids he was getting. He leapt over the gate, landed and then feeling his master's legs hard on his sides, urging him on, Zero bolted for the finish flags. They flashed through them, Heero looking at the clock as he began to pull his horse up.
 
43.27 seconds was registered in bold, red lights of the electronic clock.
 
Feeling pleased with himself and his horse, Heero rode out of the ring and over to where Duo was almost bouncing on the spot with excitement.
 
Zero didn't have to beg for carrots this time, Duo had them waiting for the gray and happily stuffed Zero's mouth with as many as the gray could handle.
 
"Well done, Heero. That's a great time!" said Duo as he resisted the urge to hug his lover, settling for placing his arm over Heero's shoulders instead in a friendly 'buddy' gesture.
 
"Nice take on the wall, Heero. You've certainly set one scorcher of a time to beat," stated Treize, one eye on Heero and one on the ring where the next rider was trying to emulate Heero's round but coming to grief when his horse couldn't make the angle over the wall.
 
"Thanks. That should sort the men from the boys," replied Heero with a grin.
 
The next two riders also tried to copy Heero's round, one succeeded but in a slower time, the other knocked down the gate and accrued four faults. Then it was Treize's turn.
 
"Good luck, Treize," said Duo as the former silver medalist prepared to enter the ring.
 
"Good luck, old man. See if you can beat me," Heero cheekily said with a grin, throwing down the gauntlet.
 
"Old man?" Treize questioned. "I'll show you I'm no has been, Yuy." With that, Treize rode into the ring to present to the judge.
 
* * *
 
Short Duck ambled towards the collecting ring. Occasionally he trod on the trailing rope and gave himself a jerk but for the most part he managed to miss the rope with his hooves. As he drew closer to the ring though, more people were around and it didn't take long for one of them to spot the loose pony and attempt to catch him.
 
Duck sidestepped the human, he wasn't about to be caught for no-one. He wanted to find his mate and with his newfound freedom, he was intent on doing just that. The human was persistent though and tried again. Duck snorted and trotted off to the side. Another person joined in, then another and another, all of them trying to corner the pony and grab the trailing rope.
 
Giving a loud squeal, Duck dodged their grasping hands, bounced into a canter and weaved through the people as fast as his little legs would carry him leaving havoc in his wake. He propped, turned, swerved and generally managed to evade those that tried to catch him. He shot underneath a large Clydesdale causing the heavy horse to jump, almost landing on top of its handler. Duck charged behind a couple of ponies, both animals shying and nearly losing their young riders.
 
Duck was getting desperate and beginning to panic. He wanted his mate, not all these people trying to grab him. Barely managing to avoid a kick from a fancy show hack, Duck propped and changed direction, sticking his head into the air and neighing loudly for his companion as he continued to gallop around in a blind panic.
 
Goose was coming up on the wall, Treize having brought the bay in on the same angle as Heero had and confident his horse would make the jump okay. Three strides away, Treize applied the leg and Goose lengthened stride. From the sidelines there came a disturbance but Treize ignored it, as did Goose, their attention focused solely on the wall when a high-pitched neigh broke the air.
 
Hearing the neigh, Goose faltered, his attention taken from the jump and he neighed back. Although his attention only wavered for a second or two it was enough to disrupt the approach and Goose found himself facing a jump he hadn't a hope of clearing now. Gamely he pulled his hindquarters underneath him and pushed himself up.
 
Feeling his horse falter and then neigh in answer, Treize knew he'd lost the momentum they needed to get over the wall. His mind registered it was Duck who'd neighed but the damage was done. Treize did his best to give Goose all the assistance he could to get over the wall as he silently promised the mini pony a painful reprimand.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...