Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 10 ( Chapter 10 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 10
 
In the collecting ring, Otto, Heero and Duo heard the shrill neigh and commotion behind. Hearing Goose neigh in answer and then falter, they all knew who was responsible.
 
"Shit!" Otto said as he spun around.
 
"Fuck!" added Duo as his legs began to automatically move.
 
"Damn!" groaned Heero as he watched Goose's futile attempt to clear the wall.
 
Otto and Duo sprinted across the collecting ring as Duck charged in. The pony's eyes were wild, his head held high as he searched for his mate. The rest of the competitors in the ring moved to the side, keeping their horses out of the way while spectators and grooms alike tried to catch the panicked pony.
 
Nostrils flaring, Duck dodged a couple of people, trod on the trailing lead rope and gave himself a sharp tug on his halter. The tug only slowed him down for a second, but it was enough time for Duo and Otto to close in. Duo grabbed for the trailing rope as Otto went for Duck's halter.
 
"Whoa, you silly pony," Otto said as he hung on and pulled Duck around.
 
"Steady," Duo soothed as he pulled on the lead rope to assist Otto in bringing the pony to a halt.
 
Duck was forced to slow his pace as his head was pulled around and the lead rope tightened. The calm tones of the two voices penetrated his mind as his nostrils caught the familiar scent of Otto and Duck came to a trembling halt.
 
Otto gently soothed the frightened pony, stroking the sweaty neck and speaking in a low, calm voice.
 
Duo ran an expert eye over the short legs and body, relieved to see there were no visible signs of damage. "He looks okay," said Duo as he handed the lead rope to Otto who had managed to settle the pony.
 
"I guess that's one small blessing. I'd say the damage will come after Treize gets a hold of him." Otto turned to the ring entrance to see his boss aiming for the exit.
 
***
 
Goose did his best to clear the jump, but the momentary lapse in concentration had cost the horse his momentum. He pushed himself into the air, stretching as much as he could in an attempt to gain the height.
 
Treize gave his horse all the help he could, moving forward in his saddle and taking as much weight off the horse's back as possible. His hands slid along Goose's neck allowing the reins to slip through his fingers and not interfere with the horse's mouth in any way. He felt the power of the hind quarters as the animal propelled himself up and forward, saw the red 'bricks' of the wall rear up in front and then scatter around as Goose's forelegs brushed through them.
 
Landing safely on the other side amid a shower of red and white, Goose felt his rider shift and then the leg came against his side, encouraging him to rebalance and canter away from the jump. The finish flags passed by and Goose slowed his pace, his rider turning him towards the collecting ring and the now subdued commotion. As Treize exited the ring he could see Otto holding Short Duck, the pony appearing to be distressed but settling down.
 
The public address system blared out that Treize had accrued four faults and that the placings would be announced in just a moment. Heero appeared from the side as Duck let fly with a loud neigh, Goose answering and drowning out Heero's words. Heero opted to wait until the two horses were together before repeating his words.
 
Duck almost pulled Otto off his feet as he tried to get to his friend. As soon as Goose was close enough, the pony began a series of snorts and wuffles, stretching his nose out to sniff at Goose who returned the sentiment, blowing softly through his nostrils at his little companion.
 
"Are you all right?" Heero repeated now that Treize would be able to hear him.
 
"I'm okay," Treize replied as he slipped his feet from within the stirrups and dismounted. Blue eyes narrowed as he stared at the mini pony, his attention then switching to Otto. "What happened? How did he get loose?"
 
"I don't know," Otto replied truthfully.
 
"Is Goose okay?" Duo said as his eyes traversed the horse and finding no signs of any damage.
 
"Goose is fine," replied Treize. "I'd like to know just how this little bugger got free though."
 
"Announcing the placings for the Open Jumping Competition..."
 
Quiet descended over the collecting ring as the announcer spoke.
 
"In first place with no faults and a time of 43.27 seconds; Mr. Heero Yuy riding Zero. Second place, with no faults and a time of 48.34 seconds; Miss Janet Watkins riding Summer Edition. Third place with four faults and a time of 46.52 seconds; Mr. Treize Kushrenada riding Tall Geese. Would those three place getters please enter the ring to receive their rosettes."
 
Duo couldn't help the cheer that left his mouth with the announcement and he turned his grinning face to his lover. "Well done, Heero!"
 
"Thanks."
 
"Congratulations to you too, Treize," Duo added, switching his gaze to the tall man.
 
"Thank you, Duo."
 
"Yeah, well done the pair of you," Otto added.
 
Treize remounted and waited for Heero who quickly tightened Zero's girth and then mounted to lead the place getters back into the ring to collect their rosettes. They filed in and stood in line in front of the judge who smiled at them. Approaching Heero with the blue rosette and an envelope, the judge fixed the rosette to Zero's bridle then handed Heero the envelope, shaking hands at the same time.
 
"Congratulations. That was an excellent round."
 
"Thank you," replied Heero politely.
 
The judge continued to move down the line, placing the red rosette on the next horse before approaching Treize. Fixing the white rosette to Goose's bridle the judge turned to Treize. "That was a good round and it was going to be a close finish. Shame about the horse losing concentration at the wall."
 
"Thank you. Yes, he was going well up until then, but these things happen," Treize replied with a smile.
 
"He's a good horse. Is he by any chance your prospective mount for the Nations Cup?"
 
"Yes, he is. I'm hoping he will do well enough this season to catch the selectors' eye and make it onto the short list."
 
"Good luck. I think you have an excellent chance of making the team, despite today's little mishap." The judge turned then and stepped to the side, indicating for Heero to lead the place getters on a lap of honor.
 
Exiting the ring, Treize and Heero were met with congratulations from other competitors which were accepted with grace. Dismounting, they found their 'grooms' and began to walk back to the cars and trailers. Duo walked as close as he dared to Heero without raising suspicion. Once back at the horse float, Duo set about taking Zero's jumping boots off while Heero unsaddled the gray.
 
Once Zero was rugged, stuffed full of carrots and settled with a hay net, the pair went across to Treize's float to see if they could lend a hand with anything as well as find out if either man had figured out how Duck had escaped.
 
Otto had tied the pony up again and checked out the immediate area to see what he could discover in regards to the pony and how he had gotten free. He could see the empty hay nets and knew the pony was probably responsible for that. The ground didn't show any signs of a scuffle and the piece of binder twine they tied the horses to was still in tact. [1] The only conclusion Otto could come to was that Duck had managed to untie himself.
 
"Any clue as to how he got loose?" Treize asked as he removed Goose's saddle.
 
"There's no sign of a scuffle and the twine isn't broken which would rule out a fright. I'm betting he managed to untie himself. The end of the lead rope is a little frayed and damp so I'm pretty sure that's how he got free." Otto took over settling Goose, removing the horse's bridle and jumping boots before starting to brush the horse to remove the dried sweat.
 
"In future I suggest we tie him up with two half hitches. At least that knot will be harder for him to undo. "You're a little swine, Duck, you know that?" Treize grasped the pony by the halter and looked into the liquid brown eyes of the animal. "I should damn well get rid of you, only if I did Goose would probably stand in the corner of his stable and cry." Treize gave the halter a shake.
 
Duck knew he was in trouble, the tone of the voice told him as much. He hung his head.
 
"Did you find out how he got loose?" asked Heero as he and Duo rounded the trailer and came across Treize reprimanding the pony.
 
"We think he managed to untie himself," Otto replied as he put Goose's rug on.
 
"Ah. Crafty little bugger," Duo snickered.
 
"You sure you didn't sneak back here and untie him, Heero?" Treize turned to face Heero, an amused smile on his face.
 
"Huh? Why would I want to do that?" Heero was clearly confused.
 
"Knowing what competition you were up against for first place." Treize gave Duo a wink, the vet immediately catching on.
 
"I would never do anything like that!" Heero looked suitably offended.
 
Treize laughed. "I'm only joking, Heero. You have to admit though, looks quite suspicious."
 
Heero snorted. "I don't need to resort to underhanded tactics to beat you, Treize. Why don't you admit it, you knew Zero would beat you so you needed an excuse to blame your loss on."
 
"Touché, Heero," Treize grinned.
 
Heero laughed and shook his head. "I'm going to go get a drink and then load up Zero. Anyone want anything from the canteen?"
 
Treize asked for a drink, Otto a sandwich. Duo offered to go with Heero and help carry the stuff back. On the way to the canteen they stopped off at the 'gents' for a quick couple of congratulatory kisses and friendly grope.
 
* * *
 
Arriving home at the surgery, Duo gave Heero a hand to unload Zero and unhitch the horse float. As it was still early afternoon, Heero put the stallion in the paddock and went to give Duo a hand with the gear.
 
"I swear this stuff breeds," Duo stated as he walked towards the stable block, his arms full of bandages, boots and grooming tools. "You sure we took all this?"
 
Heero chuckled. "It always seems that way." He placed the saddle on the saddle horse and helped Duo to put the boots, bandages and grooming tools away. They fetched the last load from the car, hanging up Zero's bridle, placing the empty hay nets in the feed room and returning the water bucket to its place.
 
"Thanks, Duo." Heero wrapped his arms around Duo from behind and nuzzled the vet's neck.
 
"Mmmm. You're welcome, Heero." Duo tilted his head to give Heero better access to his neck. Sighing softly in content, Duo turned around in his lover's arms and partook of a deep kiss. "I think we need a shower," he said as he pulled away from the kiss.
 
"Now that sounds like a good idea. Want to save water and shower together?"
 
"Only if you promise to wash my back," Duo replied with a sultry smile.
 
"I'll do more than wash your back." Heero ran his hand down Duo's side and around to the vet's groin where he squeezed the half hard cock.
 
Duo's hips began to move, pushing lightly into the touch and craving more. "What are you waiting for?" he panted. "Let's get going. I need to check on Hilde and Catherine, make sure that everything is okay with the practice."
 
Chuckling softly, Heero released the swelling organ and pulled back. His own groin bulged and the tight jodhpurs he wore didn't hide much. Taking Duo's hand in his own he headed towards the house. "I'll go get the shower ready while you check in with Hilde."
 
"I won't be long," Duo replied and headed for the intercom system while Heero disappeared in the direction of the bedroom.
 
Moments later the bathroom door opened and Duo stepped inside. Heero was in the shower stall adjusting the water temperature. Quickly stripping himself of his clothes, Duo joined his boyfriend in the shower where Heero proceeded to thoroughly clean the vet; with his tongue as well as his hands.
 
* * *
 
Treize drove the goose neck float home, Otto sitting quietly beside him and watching the scenery pass by. As he drove so Treize reflected on the day's events and the horse's performances. Despite the hiccup with Short Duck and Tall Geese, the day hadn't gone too badly. Treize was pleased with Goose's performance, the bay had gone really well and Treize knew in his mind that if Duck hadn't gotten loose it would have been mere hundredths of a second between himself and Heero for first place. In future the mini pony would be double tethered at shows and with the alternative two half hitch knot. Treize was determined not to have the same thing happen again. Besides being a distraction to Goose, it was also dangerous for Duck to be running around loose.
 
"Sandrock went well," commented Otto as they neared the stables.
 
"Yes, he did. For his first show he did extremely well."
 
"That Heero is a pretty good rider."
 
"He's very talented, but he still has more to learn."
 
"Any ideas on what you plan to do with the other horse?"
 
Treize frowned. "I haven't decided yet. I'll be honest, I don't trust Taurus, but Heero seems equally as determined to train the animal. I just hope the horse doesn't do anything stupid and hurt Heero in the process."
 
"Shame he's so hot headed," Otto muttered.
 
"I agree with you there. That horse does have a lot of potential and a good jump on him. He also has a good turn of speed which would make him a force to be reckoned with in speed events. His only problem is he doesn't want to listen to his rider."
 
"I would have thought he'd have calmed down a bit once he'd been gelded."
 
"So did I."
 
Otto scratched his neck. "I've tried changing his feed a little as you suggested, cutting back on his grain, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I really don't know what else you could try."
 
"I don't either," Treize replied as he turned the truck into the drive that would lead them to the stable block.
 
"It would be a shame to see him go."
 
"Nothing has been decided on his fate yet. I'm going to have a talk with Heero on Wednesday and see what he thinks. Who knows, maybe he can offer some suggestion as to how to calm the animal down." Seeing Otto about to open his mouth, and having a pretty good idea of what he was going to say, Treize got in first. "I won't use drugs on him and I won't sell him as he is, it would ruin my reputation."
 
It was a sad but true fact that drugs had made their way into the showjumping world. Treize wasn't adverse to the use of drugs on horses, but only for a medical requirement. He knew of people that regularly used drugs to calm an excitable horse, making it easier to handle. Being fully aware of the fact that drugs could and were in use, the E.F.A had taken a firm stance and released its policy on drugs and their use in the equine world. Random swabbing took place at shows and if a horse was found to have a banned substance in its system the penalties were extremely high.
 
No, that was one area that Treize avoided like the plague. His horses only received drugs the vet prescribed for them when injured and Treize had the animal swabbed at his own expense before taking it out to compete again to ensure all traces were out of the animal's system. Treize may have been a lot of things, but he was no cheat.
 
Bringing the goose neck to a halt out the front of the stable block, Treize cut the engine and began to climb out. Otto got out from the other side and went to the float doors, dropping them down and fetching Sandrock out first. Two stable boys appeared, one took Sandrock while the other waited for Goose. Treize unloaded Goose, handed the lead rope over and then went back in for Short Duck. Otto unloaded Taurus and led the chestnut to his stable where he proceeded to remove the floating boots and change the horse's rug.
 
Treize left Duck in the large stable with Goose and went to begin unloading the gear from the float. A lot of the items would remain in the 'tack' compartment, only the saddle and bridles were brought in to the main tack room. One of the stable boys came out and took the water buckets to be washed out and then replaced in the float for the next show. Hay nets were also removed but placed in the feed shed ready to be filled again.
 
Having seen to Taurus, Otto checked on Sandrock and Goose before sending the stable boys to clean out the float while he fed the horses.
 
Treize did a quick check over the horses, making sure they were comfortable and settled before he sought out Otto and told him he was retiring to the house and would return later that evening for a final check before going to bed. Picking up Goose's white rosette, Treize walked past the float and headed for the house.
 
The Kushrenada estate sat on twenty five acres of rich, green land. The large house stood at the base of the driveway that led from the road. The driveway forked, the left leading to the house while the right went further down to where the stables stood. The stables were built in a square shape with a main entry leading to a grassed courtyard. As you passed underneath the arch into the stables themselves so the lay out became apparent. Loose boxes ran down both left and right sides of the courtyard. To the immediate left of the arch lay the tack room, to the right the feed shed. Directly opposite were the wash bays, tie up areas and small sand yard. There was also the way out to the back paddocks and schooling areas. It was a neat and tidy set up, making optimum use of the space with excellent facilities. Over head of the arch, Treize had had built a loft of sorts which served as grooms quarters for the stable boys. Otto was the head groom and lived with his wife in a small cottage to the side of the stables on the estate's grounds. The stable boys were fed and looked after by Otto's wife.
 
The gray stone of the house was tinged with orange from the setting sun as Treize approached. He hesitated to call it a mansion, even though it was big enough. He lived alone, having inherited the estate when his father passed on several years ago. His father had been a keen horseman, preferring to race animals though, but hadn't objected when Treize had shown his interest in showjumping. Most of Treize's earlier showjumpers had come from his father's racing stable, the thoroughbreds being too slow on the track and so passed over to Treize to see what he could do with them.
 
Now with his father dead and buried, Treize shared the house with his housekeeper, memories and a lot of photographs; not to mention an impressive display of ribbons, rosettes and cups he'd won over the years. Stepping into the kitchen, Treize removed his boots and stood them by the back door to be cleaned. In sock clad feet he padded across the kitchen, smelling the delightful aroma of whatever it was Jenny was cooking for his dinner. He couldn't see the housekeeper anywhere though which was a little strange, but he didn't dwell on it. He passed through the door and along the hall way, intending to go upstairs to his rooms and take a long, hot bath when he heard the sounds of voices in the drawing room. Frowning, he made his way forward and stepped into the drawing room. The voices stopped as he entered, the two women turning in his direction.
 
"Ah, here is Master Treize now. I'll just go get the tea." Jenny smiled and gave Treize a nod in greeting before leaving.
 
Treize tossed the white rosette to the sideboard and eyed the decanter of whiskey before turning his attention back to the woman who sat on the leather couch.
 
"To what do I owe this visit, Relena?"
 
~ * ~
 
tbc.....
 
[1] Binder twine: This is the strong twine used to bind up bales of hay. Horsemen use it for many things, one of which is to tie a piece of it in a loop to the rings on a horse float. You then pass the lead rope through the loop of twine and tie it in a quick release knot. This way should the horse panic for any reason and pull back, the twine will snap before the halter or lead rope which can be expensive to replace.