Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 15 ( Chapter 15 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
Please note: This chapter is unbetaed as my beta is currently moving house and has enough on her plate without my appalling spelling and grammar. I apologize now for any and all mistakes.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 15
 
"That you, Heero?" Duo called out from the laundry where he was busy folding socks.
 
"Yeah," Heero replied and then appeared in the doorway, a smile on his face as he observed his partner and the domestic scene. "You'd make someone a good housewife," Heero snickered as he walked over to his lover and gave him a kiss.
 
"I am not a housewife," growled Duo. "Why do people always think I'm the more feminine type? Must be the hair. Maybe I'll have to get it cut."
 
"Don't you dare!" Heero all but shouted.
 
"At least then I wouldn't be mistaken for a woman."
 
Heero slid his hand to the front of Duo's jeans and gave his crotch a gentle squeeze. "You're definitely not female," he purred.
 
"Mmm..." Duo moaned and rocked his hips. "What's gotten into you this afternoon? You're looking and acting rather pleased with yourself."
 
Heero moved back and leaned against the dryer. "I'm going with Treize tomorrow to visit the Peacecraft stud and see some new horses."
 
"Peacecraft... Peacecraft... I think I've heard that name somewhere before but I can't place where."
 
Heero gave Duo a brief run down on what Treize had told him about the Peacecraft stud and the role it played in Treize's occupation.
 
"Sounds interesting," Duo replied. "You'll have to let me know what the horses are like." Duo picked up the now folded laundry and handed Heero a pile. "Wanna put those away for me, please?"
 
"Sure thing, honey," Heero replied with a cheeky smile.
 
"I'll give you honey," Duo growled.
 
"Okay, maybe not honey, but what about stud muffin?"
 
A pair of briefs to Heero's face was his reply. "Ohh, I always wanted to get into your pants," Heero continued to tease.
 
"Heero!"
"Okay, okay. I'll stop now."
 
"Good."
 
"I'll start dinner after I put these away shall I, sweet pea?"
 
"Arrgghhh!"
 
Seeing Duo eyeing off the iron, Heero took off at a run, his laughter echoing down the hall.
 
* * *
 
"All set?" Treize asked as he climbed in the driver's side of the car.
 
"Yes," Heero replied as he buckled up his seat belt.
 
Treize started the car and backed out of the garage. Putting the shift into 'first', he drove off down the long driveway and out to the main road and the Peacecraft stud. The drive wasn't a long one, the stud being located just a few kilometers from Treize's stables. The ride passed in relative silence, Heero asking the odd question about the horses and Treize doing his best to answer them.
 
As they drew closer to the stud so Heero's curiosity got the better of him. "You said a woman by the name of Relena runs this stud by herself?"
 
Treize chuckled. "In a sense, yes. She's a marvel when it comes to bloodlines. She seems to have a sixth sense about breeding, knowing which crosses will produce good quality stock and which will produce only mediocre stuff. She plans out which mares will go to which stallions and what will happen with the resulting foals. Naturally she has a good staff to run the place, she wouldn't be able to handle it by herself."
 
"How many horses does she have?"
 
"With this new stallion that will bring the sires to four. There's roughly fifteen brood mares and a range of young stock. I'd guess about ten yearlings, twelve two year olds, six three year olds and about three four year olds."
 
"Shit! That's a lot of horses."
 
"It is. Although the brood mares and young stock are mostly paddocked. The stallions of course are all stabled along with the three and four year olds. Those are the youngsters she intends to have me break in and educate. Once they get to three, I generally pop over and go through them, assessing which she should keep and those she should sell. She doesn't usually sell off anything until it's three, unless she gets a really good offer."
 
That gave Heero quite a bit to think about. The woman must have some pretty sound knowledge to run a successful stud such as this.
 
Treize turned off the main road and along a smaller side road before turning again and then entering under a wide arch and following a tree lined driveway. "Here we are," he said as he drove the car around the back of the impressive looking sand stone house.
 
Heero's eyes widened as he took in the size of the place. He'd thought Treize's place was impressive, but this. Well shit! It was the sort of set up Heero would love to have for himself some day, unfortunately he couldn't ever see that day arriving. Behind the house stood the stables, also made from the same, pale sand stone. The area was set out in a 'U' shape with a grassed area in the middle. Along all three sides, Heero could see loose boxes, some with inquisitive looking heads hanging over the doors.
 
"Come on, I'll take you for a look around in a minute," said Treize as he got out of the car.
 
Heero opened the door and got out, following Treize towards the house, his mind still on the stable area and what was inside it. As they approached the rear of the house so the door opened and a young woman stood on the step.
 
"Treize, it's so good to see you again." The woman stepped down and shook hands with Treize.
 
It's good to see you again too, Relena," Treize replied.
 
Turning her attention from Treize, she spoke again. "This must be Mr Yuy, the student you currently have."
 
"Yes, yes he is. Heero Yuy, this is Relena Peacecraft, the lady that runs this fine establishment. Relena, this is Heero Yuy." Treize stepped aside as he made his introductions and Heero stepped forwards to shake the woman's hand.
 
"A pleasure to meet you, Miss Peacecraft," Heero said as he shook the small hand offered to him.
 
Relena's eyes lit up as she took in the sight of the young man before her. She let her gaze wander over him as if appraising a new horse she intended to purchase before remembering her manners. "The pleasure is all mine Mr Yuy, and please, call me Relena."
 
"Then you must call me Heero."
 
"Thank you." Relena's eyes continued to wander, enjoying the visual feast before her. Something fluttered in her stomach when she noticed the deep blue of the young man's eyes. Now here was a specimen she would love to have in her stable. He certainly was a fine looking stud.
 
Heero felt the weight of the woman's gaze and it made him uncomfortable. He didn't like being appraised like a piece of horse flesh. He shifted his weight from one foot to the other and looked at Treize.
 
"The horses, Relena. I'd like Heero to have a look at them as well if that's okay with you," said Treize, sensing the tension in Heero.
 
"Huh? Oh, yes. The horses," Relena said as she brought her mind back from where it had wandered. "Just bear with me a moment while I get changed. If you like, go on through to the stables, I'm sure that Walker will show you around while I change."
 
"Thank you. I think Heero would like to have a look at your set up," Treize said as he looked to Heero for conformation. He could see the young rider was keen to get a closer look at the stables and their contents.
 
Nodding, Heero said. "I'd love to."
 
Relena went a little red at Treize's words and the other way she could have interpreted them. She wouldn't have minded this hunk having a look at her set up in the least. "Go on ahead then, I'll be with you shortly."
 
"Thank you," Heero muttered and turned rather quickly, impatient to get away from the woman who was giving him the creeps.
 
Treize also turned and began to walk towards the stables. Once they were out of ear shot of Relena, Treize spoke. "Don't let her unnerve you, Heero. She studies everyone as if they were a prize piece of horse flesh, it's just her way of assessing you."
 
"Could have fooled me," Heero growled softly.
 
Treize laughed. "I wouldn't worry too much, she's devoted to her livestock." Further discussion was cut short as they entered the stable area and a middle aged man came over to greet them.
 
"Mr Kushrenada, it's a pleasure to see you again."
 
"Hello, Walker. How many times do I have to tell you to call me Treize?"
 
The wizened groom smiled as he shook hands with Treize. "I take it you've come to see the new arrivals?"
 
"Yes, we have. Walker, this is Heero Yuy, my current student. Heero, this is Walker, Relena's head groom and stud master."
 
"Pleased to meet you, Walker." Heero extended his hand, taking an instant liking to the man.
 
"Nice to meet you too, Mr Yuy. How are you finding Treize as a mentor and instructor?"
 
Heero smiled. "He's good, fair and with a lot of knowledge," replied Heero honestly.
 
"You would do well to stick with him, young man. He can teach you a lot." Walker added a wink to his words.
 
Treize had begun to go a little red under the praise and shifted uncomfortably. "Walker? Would you mind showing us around while we wait for Relena? Naturally we will wait to see the new horses until she's with us, but I know Heero is keen to see the set up as well as the stock."
 
"It will be my pleasure," replied Walker. "If you would kindly follow me I'll show you the three stallions we currently have standing at stud."
 
Following behind the groom, Heero's head was constantly turning, taking in all the goings on around him.
 
"This is the stud's senior stallion, Windjammer," Walker began as he stopped outside a loose box where a bay head looked over at them. "He's thoroughbred and we cross him over the warmblood mares to give something with a little lighter bone but speed as well." Walker went inside and brought the stallion out for the two men to see.
 
Heero had to admit, he was a nice example of the breed. Once they'd had a good look at him, Walker put him back in the box and moved down a few to where a liver chestnut head was watching them with interest.
 
"This is Fire Fox. He's a Hanoverian stallion originally used for dressage. He's our more influential sire adding lift and elegance to the mares he's bred to and generally passing on his movement to his foals. One of his sons was a bronze medalist at the world championships and another is set to make it to the short list for the Olympics." Walker brought the stallion out for Heero to see.
 
Dancing on the end of his lead rope, the liver chestnut showed off, knowing he was being appraised. Heero took in the smooth planes of the muscles, the long slope of the shoulder and powerful hocks. "What level did he get to?" Heero asked.
 
"Grand Prix."
 
"He's certainly a lovely horse." Heero continued to gaze at the animal.
 
"I like to think so." Relena appeared behind them. "Have you seen Horace yet?"
 
"Horace?" Heero questioned, his eyes wide.
 
Walker chuckled as he put Fox away. "Horace is our Trakehner stallion. He was a showjumper before being purchased for the stud. We use both him and Wind for the breeding of our showjumpers." Walker led them along past two more loose boxes and then stopped. Leaning over the box door he spoke to the horse inside. "Come on, Horace, you have visitors."
 
A brown head appeared over the door and looked curiously at the people. Walker clipped a lead rope to his halter and brought him out. "Generally he's well behaved, although he does have a tendency to get a little hot headed at times."
 
"He's Taurus' sire," said Treize.
 
That would explain a little of Taurus' temperament then. Heero thought. "Why do you call him Horace?" Heero asked as he ran his eye over the animal.
 
"His registered name is Westgate Hallmark, much easier to call him Horace though."
 
Heero had to agree.
 
"Where's this new stallion of yours, Relena?" Treize asked as Walker put Horace back into his stable. Treize had seen the other stallions before and was eager to get a look at the new one.
 
"Peacemillion is down here," Relena replied and led the way.
 
A gray face appeared over a door at the approaching footsteps. Heero's eyes widened considerably. The head was finely chiseled, broad forehead, deep expressive eyes and a tapering muzzle. Heero was certainly keen to see more. Walker disappeared into the stallion's box with a lead rope, Treize leaned against the stable wall and began to quiz Relena.
 
"I know his breeding and you mentioned something about him having done the European circuit?"
 
"That's right. He's competed at A grade level with several wins to his credit," Relena replied.
 
Heero listened with half an ear, the majority of his attention on the stallion that Walker was leading out. Standing sixteen three, he was an impressive horse. His coat was lightly dappled with darker gray blending to almost black on his legs from the knees and hocks down. His mane and tail also held a lot of black. The neck came out of his shoulders with a graceful arch, the ribs were well sprung indicating good heart and lung room. The back was short and leading into one of the best hindquarters Heero had ever seen. He found himself comparing the stallion to his own beloved Zero. Peacemillion was heavier built than Zero and his shoulders weren't as good, although Zero's hindquarters were not as well proportioned as Peacemillion's. While this stallion was certainly a quality horse, Heero wouldn't have swapped his Zero for him. Idly, Heero mused over what a cross between a Zero daughter and Peacemillion would turn out like; not that Zero had sired anything other than Shinigami and he was turning out to be something special. If Shini had been a mare and Heero had crossed that mare with Peacemillion he knew he would have something pretty spectacular. His ears pricked up when he heard the word 'foals' spoken by Treize.
 
"He's only covered twenty mares, five in his first season and fifteen in the second. Four of the five mares foaled successfully, three fillies and a colt, all yearlings now. The second crop of foals has resulted in six colts, seven fillies, one mare slipped and one didn't take," Relena stated as Treize looked over the horse. "We won't know what his progeny are like for a few years yet, not until they're out competing."
 
"Did you get a look at any of his offspring?" Treize asked.
 
"Yes, I did. I've got some photos of them back at the house. I'll show you afterwards."
 
"Thanks. What do you think of him, Heero?" Treize had watched the young rider eyeing the horse and was keen to know what Heero's thoughts were.
 
"He's certainly a quality animal, good conformation and he seems to have a nice temperament as well," Heero replied. "I'd like to see his paces though."
 
"So would I. Relena? Would it be an inconvenience if I were to ask to ride him?" Treize said.
 
Relena laughed. "Treize, you've been breaking your neck to ride him ever since I first told you about him. Walker, would you mind fetching a saddle and bridle for him, please?"
 
Walker nodded and tied the stallion up, disappearing to fetch the tack and returning a few moments later with a lovely forward cut showjumping saddle and snaffle bridle. While Walker saddle the horse, Heero kept his attention focused on the animal. He could feel the weight and heat of Relena's eyes on him from time to time and it was making him really uncomfortable.
 
Once the stallion was saddled, Walker led him through a gateway on one side of the stable block and down a small walkway to a paddock that contained a dressage arena and some jumps. Heero followed along behind, letting Treize do the talking and keep Relena engaged in conversation. While Heero didn't dislike the woman, he wasn't over keen on her either. He just wished she would stop eyeing him off as if he were a prospect for her stable.
 
Reaching the paddock, Walker entered and then checked the horse's girth before handing the reins to Treize. "He's only had light work since arriving, just enough to keep him reasonably fit. We haven't jumped him yet so I don't know what he's like in that regard. On the flat he's calm and pretty responsive." Walker stood to the side to allow Treize to adjust his stirrups.
 
Happy that all was okay, Treize mounted the gray and settled into the saddle. Gathering up his reins, he closed his legs on the horse's sides and Peacemillion walked off calmly.
 
With Treize now on the stallion's back, Heero had no one to distract Relena from him and he found himself caught in her clutches. "How long have you been a student with Treize? Do you like it there? Which horses are you riding?" These were just some of the questions Heero found himself having to answer. He answered as best he could, short and to the point. Then the questions began to change and Heero found his dislike for the woman starting to fester.
 
"Where do you live, Heero? With your wife? Or do you have a girlfriend?"
 
"I'm not married and don't have a girlfriend. I share a house with Duo Maxwell, the vet," Heero replied.
 
"I don't think I've heard of him. Does he treat horses?"
 
"He owns the Maxwell Veterinary hospital, and yes, he does treat horses."
 
"Ah. I use the Oakford Equine hospital when I need a vet. I think it pays to use a specialist in the field."
 
Heero could feel his hackles beginning to rise. This woman didn't even know Duo and yet the tone of her voice was condescending. "Doctor Maxwell is an excellent vet. I wouldn't have my horses treated by anyone else," Heero stated, a little stronger than he'd intended.
 
"Oh, I'm sure he's probably fine with your average animal, but here we need someone that knows exactly what they're doing. These animals are worth a lot of money."
 
Heero kept his mouth shut, he didn't trust his voice right now. Biting his tongue he made a point of turning away from the woman and watching Treize who had finished warming up the gray and was getting ready to jump.
 
"Treize is an excellent horseman, you will learn a lot from him," Relena said, seemingly oblivious to Heero's ignoring of her. "We have some really good four year olds ready to be taken on in the next couple of months." Relena stepped a little closer and rested her hand on Heero's arm.
 
The touch caused Heero to flinch a little but he resisted the urge to turn tail and run, pretending he hadn't noticed and concentrating on watching Treize who was taking the gray around the jumping course. "He's got a nice jump on him," Heero said in an attempt to change the subject. "Calm and with a lot of scope."
 
"Yes, he's not bad, but getting back to these four year olds. I'm pretty sure I could be persuaded to let you have first pick of them, select one or two that you'd like to work on." Relena's voice had settled to a purr.
 
Heero began to feel nauseous.
 
"I think you would be able to take a couple of them to the top. I'll have to stop by some time and see you ride. I'll bet you're excellent in the saddle."
 
Now, Heero knew for certain that the woman was coming on to him, if the blatant innuendo didn't say it, the caressing of his arm certainly did. He cursed himself for revealing that he wasn't married or had a girlfriend in their earlier conversation. But he couldn't exactly come out and tell the woman he was involved in a relationship - with another man. Fortunately for Heero, Treize decided to call a halt to his ride and brought Peacemillion over to where they were standing.
 
"He's got a great jump on him, Relena," Treize commented as he dismounted and patted the gray.
 
"I did tell you he'd competed with success on the European circuit. If I didn't think he was worth it I wouldn't have bought him," Relena replied.
 
"I'd like to take him out and jump him at a couple of shows if that would be okay with you." Treize handed the horse over to Walker who had returned from the stables.
 
"I don't know," Relena began. "I want to put him over a few mares this season and see what he's throwing. If he's out competing chances are he won't be as fertile as he could be."
 
"That's bullshit, Relena and you know it. You would have had him fertility tested before purchasing him and competing won't alter that by much. If you're only planning on putting him to a few mares then it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Besides, getting him out there and competing will give him exposure to the public and when next breeding season comes around you can take outside mares to him and that will help to pay for his upkeep." Treize was doing his best to convince Relena as they walked back to the stable block.
 
"I'd have to think about it. I really don't want him leaving the property."
 
Sensing the woman's resolve weakening, Treize moved in for the kill. "He wouldn't have to leave your property. I can come over here and put him over the jumps once or twice a week. On the days in-between, Walker or one of your other employees can work him on the flat."
 
"Well..."
 
"If I can't get over to ride him I'm sure Heero here could pop over on my behalf and put him over the fences."
 
"Eh?" Heero hadn't been paying that much attention to the conversation, but upon hearing his name his ears pricked up to see what Treize was getting him into now.
 
"Heero's an excellent rider and would handle Peacemillion without any trouble. If I didn't have confidence in him I wouldn't have suggested him or taken him on as a student in the first place." Treize gave Relena a confident look.
 
As Treize's words sunk in so Relena's face lit up. The prospect of seeing this gorgeous stud was too tempting. "Okay. I'll sort out finer details with you over the next few days. But..." Relena gave Treize a warning look. "He's only to compete in a few shows, just enough to gain the interest of people and that's all."
 
"That's fine," Treize replied. With Relena consenting to the horse competing, Treize could argue for the different shows later. Better to leave things as they were for now.
 
The three walked back to the stables and then out to the paddocks to see the brood mares. Treize was happy he'd managed to get his way to jump Peacemillion. Relena was delighted that she was going to be spending more time with Heero and hoping to add him to her 'stable', while Heero was trying to figure out just what the hell was going on here and how was he going to dissuade this woman that seemed determined to have him and stuck to him like a leech.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc......
 
Note: More information on the horse breeds Trakehner, Hanoverian, Holsteiner and Thoroughbred can be found here; http://www.imh.org/imh/bw/eur.html