Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 16 ( Chapter 16 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 16
 
Having seen the brood mares, especially the two new ones, Treize and Heero had accompanied an insistent Relena back to the house for refreshments and to have a look at the foals Peacemillion had sired. Relena had taken great pride is showing Heero a lot of the photographs of various horses she'd bred over the years, Heero had done his best to remain polite and feign interest. It hadn't been easy to do though with Relena continuously finding an excuse to touch him or get closer. Heero would have enjoyed looking at the photos had he been allowed to peruse them in peace.
 
Finally, Treize announced they needed to be going, much to Heero's relief and Relena's disappointment. They bid their farewells, Relena doing her best to find out when she could next see Heero, Heero managing to avoid an answer. They got into the car and drove away, Relena waving behind them. Heero slumped in his seat and let out a long suffering breath.
 
"What did you think, Heero?" Treize asked, an amused smile on his face.
 
"Stables are set up perfectly, actually the whole establishment is set out well and run just as efficiently," Heero replied. "The stock are top quality too and I really like the stallions."
 
"Relena does know her bloodlines and a good prospect when she sees one."
 
Heero wasn't sure if Treize was teasing him or not. "I'd prefer it if she were to keep her interest on the horses," he growled.
 
Treize laughed. "Don't worry too much about her, Heero. She does have a tendency to eye off every available male as a prospective boyfriend."
 
"I already have a boyfriend."
 
"I know that, but she doesn't - yet."
 
Heero shot his boss a warning look.
 
"Don't worry, Heero. I'm not about to tell her your secret. I might be a lot of things, but suicidal isn't one of them."
 
"Thank you," Heero muttered.
 
"Look, if she's bothering you that much I won't insist that you go over there and work Peacemillion when I can't. I'll figure something out."
 
"You sure?"
 
"Heero, I like you, you're an excellent rider and I have no intentions of allowing Relena to cause you to quit. You're one of the better riders I've had through my stable in a long time, you have potential and a natural gift when it comes to horses. I'm not about to see that gift get thrown away simply because Miss Peacecraft has her beady little eye on you. It's not my place to inform her you're not interested, or the reasons why you're not interested. Only you can do that. I will, however, back you up and do my best to keep the two of you apart and the peace maintained."
 
Heero began to blush a little at the compliments regarding his riding and then, when Treize continued, Heero realized he'd found a good ally in Treize. "Thanks, Treize. I really appreciate that."
 
"My pleasure, Heero. Now, what say we try Taurus over a small course when we get back?"
 
"Sounds good to me."
 
"Great."
 
***
 
Duo turned the lights off in the reception area and made his way through to the kennels. He checked on the dog, Chaos, who was still sleeping peacefully, having undergone surgery that afternoon to have his broken leg set and pinned. Moving over to another, smaller kennel, Duo opened the door and gently rubbed the side of the cat's face, a loud purring his response. "Feeling better, Tigs?" The cat just purred louder. Duo chuckled softly and ran an eye over the five kittens all curled up in a heap in the corner. Tigs had been brought in that afternoon for an emergency caesarean. She'd gone into labor and after straining for an hour without any result, her owner had 'phoned the surgery in a blind panic. Tigs had been brought in within half an hour of the call and Hilde had operated.
 
Five healthy kittens were born shortly after, Tigs stitched up and left to recover. Her owner had been ecstatic to say the least, having feared she was going to lose her beloved pet. All being well, Tigs and her family would be able to go home tomorrow.
 
"Night, Tigs," Duo said as he secured the kennel door and checked the monitor was on. Closing the door to the kennels, Duo switched off the last of the lights and locked the surgery behind him. Walking down the short path that separated the surgery from the house, Duo spotted a chink of light spilling out from the kitchen curtains. His heart warmed as he thought about his lover, probably making a coffee as he knew what time Duo usually made it back to the house after evening consults. As he neared the back door so the smell of dinner invaded his nostrils and his stomach gave a loud rumble. He hadn't realized how hungry he was.
 
Heero looked up and smiled as Duo entered the kitchen. "How were the consults?" he asked as he picked up a steaming mug and sat it on the table ready for Duo. Turning back, he took his lover into his arms and hugged him close before giving the vet a long kiss.
 
Duo returned the kiss and hug before sitting down in the chair and taking a sip of the coffee. "Consults were fine, nothing too hard. Mostly vaccinations, one abscess clean, a grass seed removal, a couple of nail clippings, oh, and a ferret that needed stitching. Mmm, something smells good."
 
"Shepherd's pie, should be ready in fifteen minutes. A ferret that needed stitching? What the hell happened there?" Heero picked his own mug up and sat opposite his boyfriend.
 
"Tried to get into the daughter's pet rabbit's cage, didn't quite make it though. He got caught up in the wire and so the rabbit, seeing his chance to get his own back on a ferret for rabbits everywhere, attacked. Left a gash about two centimeters long on the ferret's shoulder."
 
"Ah." Heero smiled to himself. He could honestly say that Duo's life as a vet was never boring. "Hungry?"
 
Duo's stomach chose that moment to announce its hollowness with a loud gurgle.
 
"I'll take that as a yes," Heero chuckled. "Go wash up and I'll dish it up."
 
Giving his lover a soft smile, Duo went to the bathroom and washed up, returning a few minutes later to set the table while Heero piled the meat, vegetables and mashed potatoes that made up the shepherd's pie onto their plates.
 
Silence abounded for a few minutes as each man dug into the food before Duo spoke. "How was your visit to the Peacecraft stud?"
 
Heero finished chewing his mouthful and swallowed before replying. "Good."
 
"Good?" Duo raised an eyebrow. "Come on, Heero. Spill." Duo had an uneasy feeling in his stomach and lowered his fork for a moment as he waited for Heero to tell him what had happened.
 
Heero wiped his mouth on his napkin and thought for a moment before beginning his tale. "Stables are beautifully set up, the sort of property I've always dreamed of having, but will never own. Ah, don't take that the wrong way, Duo. The set up you have here is great too."
 
"No offense taken, Heero." Duo gave a soft smile of reassurance.
 
"The horses are lovely too. She has some fantastic stallions and the brood mares are good stock."
 
"She?"
 
"Relena."
 
"Relena?" Duo's eyes darkened a little.
 
"Relena Peacecraft. She's the woman that owns and runs the stud."
 
"Ah." The gnawing feeling in Duo's gut intensified a notch.
 
Heero continued on, telling Duo about the stallions and the youngsters as well as Treize's intention to jump Peacemillion. He avoided talking about Relena for the moment, he knew he would have to tell Duo about her, he just didn't know how.
 
Sensing there was something there that Heero wasn't telling him, Duo waited patiently until the dark haired rider had finished chatting about the horses. "Sounds like Treize has ambitions for this new stallion."
 
"Yeah. He thinks if he can get him out to a few shows and place with him then his value will go up and Relena can stand him at public stud as well to recoup some of the money she spent on buying him and importing him."
 
"Wouldn't have been cheap," Duo replied.
 
"I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to how much he would have cost," Heero said.
 
"Heero?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"What aren't you telling me?"
 
Heero sighed and placed his fork on his plate, his appetite gone for the moment. He looked up into his lover's questioning eyes and decided that the straight forward approach was probably best. "Relena. When Treize introduced us she seemed to have her eyes all over me, as if I was some stud she wanted in her stable."Duo felt the surge of jealousy hit him like a tidal wave.
 
"She was making passes at me all the time we were there. I didn't return her interest, of course. You're the only one I'm interested in, but I couldn't do much about it." Heero lowered his eyes, the misery plain on his face.
 
"Oh, Heero." Duo got up and walked around the table to where Heero was sitting and pulled the chair and Heero out a bit so he could sit in his lover's lap. Winding his arms around Heero's neck, he was pleased when Heero's arms encircled his waist.
 
"I trust you, Heero. I know you're not interested in girls and I realize you can't exactly come out and tell her you're gay either. I won't say I'm happy that she seems to have designs on my boyfriend, but I can cope with it. Sure I'm jealous, but I have to admit, she has good taste." Duo added a chuckle to try and lighten the mood a little.
 
"I don't know what to do to discourage her," Heero stated as he rested his head against Duo's shoulder.
 
"Simply tell her you have someone already. You don't have to say I'm male, just leave it open."
 
"I wish it were that simple."
 
"Huh?" Duo pulled back a little, clearly not understanding.
 
"She asked me if I was married or had a girlfriend and where I lived. I told her I wasn't married, didn't have a girlfriend and that I shared a house with you. I didn't realize at the time that she was fishing for information and had her sights set on me, otherwise I wouldn't have said anything about the girlfriend bit, I'd have said I was involved with someone."
 
"Ah. That does complicate things a little."
 
"Don't I know it."
 
"Don't worry about it too much, Heero. It's not as if you're going to be spending much time at her stud anyway. You're flat out at Treize's with the horses there, not to mention Zero and Shini here. I don't think it's going to be a problem. You'll probably only see her a couple of times every six months."
 
Duo did have a point, Heero thought. All he could do was hope that on the odd occasion he was to cross Relena's path she would get the message that he wasn't interested and eventually leave him alone.
 
"It's a shame I can't just tell her to shove off," Heero muttered. "Unfortunately she's important to Treize and his stable so I have to be polite for his sake." Heero didn't tell Duo about the woman's comments regarding Duo's expertise as a vet, Duo was already miffed enough that Relena was chasing him, no point in adding more fuel to the fire.
 
"Not easy, is it, Heero?" Duo grinned. "Never mind, I'm sure you will manage to be polite and still get the message across without endangering Treize's stable either. Love you, and thanks for telling me." Duo found Heero's lips and gave his boyfriend a stunning kiss.
 
"Love you too, Duo." Heero returned the kiss. "I think we'd better finish dinner now, it's already going cold."
 
"I'll just give it to Martha to zap."
 
"Martha?" What the hell was Duo going on about now?
 
"The microwave."
 
Heero shook his head. "I should have guessed."
 
* * *
 
Things began to settle down again over the next few weeks, Treize kept his word and managed to go to Relena's stud and work Peacemillion two to four times a week. On the other days, Walker or one of the grooms exercised the stallion. Taurus was starting to improve at last and would now complete a small course without refusals or getting hot headed. Both Heero and Treize hoped he would be okay for the next season of shows.
 
Sandrock continued to perform well and consistently. Heero took him steady and didn't put any undue pressure on the horse. Sandy responded well, his jumping abilities developing at a steady rate and he had now graduated to B grade level of competition. Goose was shaping up well, jumping as good as ever and a definite contender for the Nations Cup team.
 
Zero was his usual, calm self, only showing his excitement at shows but remaining reliable. He was jumping magnificently, rarely having a rail down and most times fighting it out with Treize and Goose for first place. Heero was pleased with the gray, Zero having started to hit his peak as the main part of the season was getting underway.
 
Little Shini was growing in leaps and bounds, now standing an impressive sixteen hands. Heero had continued to work with the colt in his spare time and Shini would now lunge on either rein with ease. He would also wear a saddle but Heero had yet to mouth him and long rein the colt [1]. Heero decided to leave that part of Shini's education until the end of the show season when he would have more time.
 
Relena had shown up at Treize's stable a few times. She'd been disappointed when Heero hadn't fronted at the stud to ride Peacemillion, and a little peeved. So, she decided if Heero wouldn't come to her, she would go to Heero. She usually managed to turn up once a week, mostly when Heero was just finishing off a session with one of the horses.
 
Being as influential and important to Treize's stable as she was, Heero resisted the urge to tell the woman to get lost and politely put up with her, although his teeth were permanently on edge and he wondered if the muscles on his hands and fingers would be permanently damaged from the way he was continuously clenching his fists.
 
Duo had managed to keep his jealousy at bay, trying to soothe and support Heero when his lover came home after one of Relena's visits. It wasn't easy as Heero felt he was betraying Duo when he wasn't. Duo did his best to reassure Heero that he trusted him, but not having witnessed how persistent the woman could be, he really couldn't help Heero all that much with ways to avoid the woman.
 
He did get his chance to meet Relena though and things didn't go down too well.
 
With Peacemillion getting fitter by the day, Treize had entered him in the open jumping at a large show in the neighboring shire. Goose and Zero had already been entered earlier in the season as this was one of the shows the selectors would be attending. With two of the four shows the selectors would be at having been and gone, it was important that Goose and Zero made a good showing at this one if they were to be short listed. Heero was quietly confident that Zero would make the list, his jumping of late had been perfect.
 
With Treize having entered Peacemillion, Relena naturally wanted to attend the show and see how the horse went. Treize couldn't really refuse and had alerted Heero as soon as he'd found out. Heero wasn't too happy but he figured he could always ride off somewhere on Zero if the woman got too much. Once Heero told Duo, the vet had immediately asked Hilde to work the Sunday for him so he could attend as Heero's groom and see just what it was with this woman and her infatuation with his boyfriend.
 
Seeing the green eyed monster raising its ugly head, Hilde had agreed to swap shifts and demanded Duo tell her all about the day as soon as he got back. Duo had agreed and the pair had spent their coffee break with Catherine discussing all sorts of ways they could 'persuade' this Relena character to leave Heero alone; or as Hilde so eloquently put it; 'paws off, piss off, mine!' When Hilde began to demand ring side seats to see Duo deck the chick, Duo thought it best to change the conversation track.
 
Duo wasn't really sure what to expect from this woman so decided to play it by ear. He knew she was very influential and held a position of authority within the local area, that much he'd found out during his digging for information. He'd subtly asked questions about her, quizzed clients about their knowledge of the woman and found out quite a bit. Recon was always a good thing. When Heero had found out, he'd shaken his head.
 
Duo had told him he'd simply been information gathering. If he was going into battle for Heero then he needed to know what he was up against.
 
Heero had laughed, finding Duo's antics amusing.
 
Duo had grinned. "Know thy enemy," he'd told Heero and then proceeded to have a mock sword fight with his partner in the kitchen. Heero had to admit, Duo wielded a mean wooden spoon.
 
***
 
The morning of the show dawned, Heero and Duo both in the stables early to get the horses fed and stable chores done before leaving. The jumping didn't start until ten and Heero's class would be on around twelve so they had plenty of time. The weather was looking a bit iffy, dark clouds floating around but no rain as yet. The forecast had said an overcast day with the chance of a shower, but as yet the clouds were only threatening. Heero didn't mind if it rained a little, it would take the sting out of the ground. If it rained too much though the opposite would happen, the ground would be very soft and the horses would have to put in extra effort to jump and clear the fences.
 
With Zero loaded up, Duo double checking the gear and slipping a few extra carrots into his pocket for his 'charge', Heero got in the car and started it up. Soon they were on the road to the show, CD blasting out what had become Heero's 'jumping' song. Duo's thoughts were drifting towards Relena, questions flitting through his mind. Despite Heero's reassurances that he wasn't interested in Relena, or girls, Duo couldn't help the small knot of fear. He was worried he would lose Heero. He didn't have half as much to offer Heero as an incentive to stay with him as Relena did. She had the large estate, successful stud, great horses and the ability to give Heero an heir.
 
Duo was a struggling country vet with a mortgage up to his armpits, vacuum cleaner that attacked with the cord and a computer that ate everything. Plus he was male and so the possibility of an heir was completely out of the question, unless there was divine intervention, something along the lines of him being impregnated like the Virgin Mary had been with Christ. Although if that were to happen he'd be dragged off to some lab somewhere and turned into a specimen and that wasn't appealing at all.
 
"What are you thinking about?"
 
"Uh?" Duo turned his head to look at his lover, realizing Heero had asked him a question.
 
"I said, what are you thinking about?"
 
"Ah. Trust me, you don't want to know."
 
"If you say so."
 
Studying his boyfriend's profile, Duo gave a smile. Relena could keep her hands off. Duo wasn't about to let his lover go without a fight.
 
Pulling into the show ground, Heero began to look around for Treize's trailer. They eventually spotted it, parked over the far side of the grounds. Heero drove across the grass and pulled up alongside. The grounds were large and had stables as well. Zero had been booked into one so they needed to find the secretary's office and get their stable allocation number as well as Heero's competitor number. Heero left Duo with the car and float while he went in search of the office. Treize's trailer was locked up so they assumed the man had already found his horses' accommodation.
 
Heero wasn't long, returning within fifteen minutes with all the necessary information. They unloaded Zero and grabbed as much as they could carry for the moment from the car. Zero's stable was two up from where Treize was and as soon as the other man saw them approaching, he came over to help. Once Zero was safely stabled, Duo went to fill the water bucket while Otto returned to the float and car with Heero to bring the remainder of the gear down.
 
Duo hadn't spotted any female around the horses so assumed that Relena had yet to show up. Deciding to ignore the upcoming meeting, Duo busied himself with Zero, hanging up the gray's haynet and removing the floating boots. A locker had been provided with the stable and Heero had put his gear in there, Duo dumped the boots in and fetched the grooming kit. He was nervous and the best way to combat his nervousness was to keep busy.
 
Zero was oblivious to it all. He knew the sights, sounds and smells of shows by now and settled into the strange stable really well. He took a sniff around, found his water bucket and lipped playfully at the water before taking a drink. Standing with his attention focused on a pretty chestnut mare a few stables down, he let the water dribble out from between his lips. The mare showed no interest so Zero ducked his head back inside the stable and located his haynet.
 
The nice human came in and removed his rug then began to brush his coat. Zero pulled at the haynet and rested a hind leg, the firm strokes of the brush over his body felt good, removing the dirt and dust and massaging his muscles. Once the brushing was finished, the nice human gave him a carrot and stroked his ears.
 
With Zero brushed and settled, Duo exited the stable and returned the grooming tools to the locker. Heero was chatting with Treize and Duo wandered over.
 
"Doctor Maxwell. How are you?" Treize asked and extended his hand.
 
Duo shook the offered hand. "I'm well, Mr Kushrenada, and please, call me Duo."
 
"Then you must call me Treize. How do you think Heero will do today?""Zero's in fine form so depending on the course I think Heero has an excellent chance. I hear you're jumping this new stallion today?"
 
"That's right. Peacemillion is over here. Would you care to take a look at him?"
 
Duo nodded and Treize led the way. Heero walked beside his boyfriend, bumping their shoulders together every now and then. Arriving at the stable, Duo looked at the stallion inside. He gave a low whistle.
 
"Nice horse," Duo said as he ran an eye over the animal. He wasn't an expert by any means, but he knew enough to recognize a quality animal when he saw it. Heero had also educated him further on the equine species so Duo knew a little more about horses than he had a couple of years ago. "How do you think he will go?"
 
"Not sure. This will be his first competition here so it's anyone's guess as to how he will perform. He's been doing well in training so I'll be happy if he goes clear and makes it into the jump off. I don't hold any illusions of him placing, just as long as he goes well and does what's asked of him then I'll be happy."
 
Duo thought that was a pretty good attitude to have, but didn't voice his thoughts. His eyes turned to the stable next to Peacemillion where Goose was resting quietly. "I see you still have the mighty midget with you," he chuckled.
 
Treize rolled his eyes. "Yeah. Can't take Goose anywhere without Duck. At least he won't escape from the stable, providing his door is kept shut."
 
"I agree. I think he would have problems trying to jump out," Duo laughed as he watched the mini pony tugging away at the haynet.
 
"If he can jump out of there then maybe he should be in the ring competing," stated Treize dryly.
 
Duo watched the mini pony for a moment before his attention was drawn away by a shrill voice. He turned and leaned against the stable door as he watched the approaching person.
 
"Treize, Heero," the woman said in a high tone as she walked up.
 
"Relena," responded Treize. Heero turned away and gave Duo a long suffering look.
 
This must be the infamous Relena, horseflesh expert and boyfriend nabber, Duo thought and shuddered. No wonder Heero cringed, that voice was enough to ruin a dog's hearing. He broke out in a cold sweat, knowing he had no choice but to face the demon. Giving himself a mental shake, Duo squared his shoulders. He had no reason to fear this woman, no reason for her to make him nervous. Heero was his, his dammit! No way was he going to let this woman get her grubby little paws on his lover.
 
Duo watched as Relena greeted Treize and then turned her attention to Heero. The way her eyes lit up, the seductive purr she put into her voice when speaking to Heero and the hand she went to rest on his arm all infuriated Duo. Shoving off the stable door, Duo raised himself to his full height and stepped forwards, pushing himself between Heero and Relena, effectively cutting off her hand's intention.
 
"You must be Relena Peacecraft," Duo said, his voice a little strong.
 
Relena was annoyed that her attempt to hold Heero's arm had been intercepted and she turned her attention from her 'stud' to the reason for the annoyance. "Yes, I am Relena Peacecraft. Who might you be?" Her tone was condescending and her eyes raked over the slender form before her. She noted the long hair and unusual eyes.
 
"I'm Doctor Duo Maxwell. Heero's house mate and assistant at shows," Duo stated calmly and offered his hand as a polite gesture.
 
Relena sniffed and looked at the hand in distaste. "Ah. You're the cat vet," she stated and then with a dismissive look, turned her attention back to Heero.
 
Duo lowered his hand, his eyes narrowed and it was all he could do not to growl at the woman. Cat vet indeed! He knew when he was being ignored and for the moment he let it slide, opting to watch what the woman was up to and how she tried to flirt with his boyfriend.
 
Treize watched from the side. He didn't try to interfere, knowing this was something that Heero and Duo had to work out themselves. His heart bled though for the vet when he heard Relena's snub. Seeing the expression of thunder on Duo's face, Treize knew the vet wasn't about to sit back and take this lying down. No, Treize had a feeling that Duo would be more than capable of taking care of one Miss Relena Peacecraft.
 
Especially when the prize was Heero.
 
Looked like there was going to be quite a cat fight.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...
 
[1] Mouthing and Long reining: This is where a youngster is fitted with a bit for the first time. It usually has 'keys' in the middle so the youngster can play with the metal with its tongue and get used to having something in its mouth. Long reining is where a pair of extra long reins are attached to the bit and the handler walks behind the horse, teaching it to stop, start and turn. Any questions, email me and I'll be happy to answer them.