Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 18 ( Chapter 18 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 18
 
Treize took a grumbling Relena back to his horse truck where he usually kept a change of clothes. He knew they would be a little big on the woman but it was the best he could do given the circumstances.
 
Fortunately Duo had managed to hold onto his laughter until the woman was out of range, politely offering his condolences and appearing concerned that she'd ruined her dress. He did point out though that a ruined dress was much easier to fix than a trampled body.
 
Relena had looked down her nose at him and turned to Heero, accepting his apologies with teary eyes. She seemed a little put out though when Heero didn't offer to escort her back to the trailer with Treize.
 
Once the woman had gone, Duo let the laughter go with gusto. "Oh, Heero. I swear, I couldn't have done a better job myself."
 
Heero was looking a little stunned. He'd never meant to push her over, just get her out of harm's way. No matter how much he disliked her attentions he wouldn't go so far as to deliberately hurt her. He knew Duo wouldn't either and it seemed ironic that while Duo was the one to have voiced his wish to dump Relena in the manure heap, it had actually been him that had done it.
 
Otto was also chuckling away. While he was totally unaware of Duo and Heero's relationship, he wasn't blind either. He'd noticed how clingy the girl was and that Heero simply didn't return her interest. "I'd say that one was a classic," he said in-between chuckles.
 
"I wish I'd had my camera, that was priceless," Duo snickered, leaning against Zero for support as his legs threatened to buckle under him.
 
"I really didn't mean to do that," Heero defended himself.
 
"We know that," Otto said. "It might get her to leave you alone a bit though and allow you to concentrate on your riding."
 
"I hope so," muttered Heero.
 
The announcer came over the loud speakers, letting the competitors know that the course was being altered for the jump off and giving the order for the jump off.
 
Heero listened carefully. Goose was second in the jump off, Heero third and Peacemillion last. There were six of them in total. Heero hoped that Treize would hurry up and return, the course would be open for them to walk in a few minutes and Treize would need to walk it too.
 
Back at the trailer, Treize was rummaging around in the groom's compartment while Relena continued to bemoan her ruined dress. The girl's complaining was starting to grate on his nerves and he was coming close to telling her that maybe it would be better if she didn't attend any shows in the future. Only his impeccable manners stopped him from saying what he'd really like to. Sighing with relief, he yanked out a pair of jeans and smallish t-shirt.
 
"Here. This is the best I can do, Relena."
 
Relena looked at the clothes. "They're miles too big, Treize. I'll look like a groom walking around in those."
 
"It's either these, wear your soiled dress or go home and change," Treize replied. "I'm sorry, this is all I have."
 
"I guess it will have to do then," grumbled Relena and took the clothing.
 
"You can change in here. When you're done come back to the collecting ring."
 
"Aren't you going to wait for me?"
 
"Relena, I can't. I have to get back and walk the jump off course. They've already announced the jump off order and Goose is second to go. I need to walk the course so I know where to take the risks. The selectors are here and it's vital that Goose makes a good showing if I'm to have any chance of getting in the team." Treize was getting irritated now.
 
"Okay then, I guess you should go. I'll be over soon. Oh, I don't suppose you have a belt at all? These jeans are going to be too loose around my hips."
 
"No, I don't. There's some binder twine in the trailer though, just grab a length of that," replied Treize as he beat a hasty retreat. The announcer was calling for the competitors in the jump off to come and walk the course.
 
"I have to go, they're calling me." Treize managed to escape, leaving a still grumbling Relena to change.
 
Treize walked quickly across the grounds, he could see Heero scanning around for him from the collecting ring and he waved to let him know he was on his way.
 
"What took you so long and where's Relena?" Heero asked as Treize practically jogged up to him and grabbed his arm, steering them both to the arena and the waiting course.
 
"She's still changing; I couldn't find anything small enough to fit her."
 
"Oh."
 
"Forget about her, Heero. We need to concentrate on the course. Now, where's the first jump?"
 
***
 
Duo kept a wary eye out for the pink parasite as Heero and Treize walked the course. He might dislike the woman but he wouldn't wish her any harm. Heero returned and took the reins from Duo, checking his girth and preparing to mount and loosen up the gray.
 
"What's the course like?" Duo asked as he stood beside Zero.
 
Heero adjusted his helmet and smiled down at his boyfriend. "Not as bad as it could have been. The first three fences are straightforward, after that it gets tricky. There's a sharp turn to the gate and then the wall and triple follow on. If your horse is balanced from the oxer to the gate then you can take an inner, shorter track to the wall, cutting inside the rustic rails. If he's not then you'll have to take the longer track, to the outside of the rails and that will take more time. I'd say it's going to be won or lost on that turn."
 
"Can Zero do it?"
 
"If I can keep him together he should."
 
"How does Treize rate his chances?"
 
"With Goose, he's pretty confident. Peacemillion though, that's going to be a completely different story. That horse has such a long stride, if Treize doesn't get him to shorten up enough then he's going to have to take the longer run." Heero leaned down and brushed his knuckles across Duo's cheek. "Love you," he whispered softly.
 
Duo smiled. "Good luck, Heero."
 
"Thanks."
 
"Oh my. Is that what I think it is?" Duo's eyes flitted over the crowd.
 
Heero's eyes automatically followed Duo's. "Crap. It's back," he muttered.
 
"Looks like we're gonna have to suffer with the presence of Miss 'Peace-de-resistance' a little longer."
 
"Not me," Heero stated. "I've got a horse to warm up and a jump off to do." Heero nudged his horse and Zero began to trot off.
 
"Traitor," Duo called after him, but his face held a grin.
 
Otto came across and stood beside Duo, holding Peacemillion as Treize loosened Goose up again. He'd also spotted Relena heading in their direction and while he respected the woman, he really didn't like having to deal with her. Usually Treize was the one she came to see and didn't bother much with the grooms. She would take a tour of the stables, see how the horses were coming along and that was pretty much it. She had started to show up a little more frequently of late, mostly when Heero was there and Otto found it a touch annoying. Relena didn't bother him and the stable routine, but Otto could see the woman's attentions annoyed and distracted Heero. Unfortunately, there wasn't much he could do about it.
 
Otto had spoken about his concerns to Treize, but like him, there wasn't much Treize could do about it either. Otto had to bite his tongue and carry on with his duties. After all, he was just a groom and it wasn't for him to say who could visit. Luckily for them though, this time Relena opted to stay a fair distance away.
 
Duo gave a soft snicker, Otto turned to look at him in askance. "She don't look so high and mighty now," Duo explained and nodded in Relena's direction.
 
Otto noted the jeans rolled up at the leg, a piece of binder twine wrapped through the belt loops to secure them. The large T-shirt didn't do much for her figure either.
 
"All she needs is the straw hat, piece of hay hanging out of the mouth and she'd be your typical country gal," Duo said in an amused tone.
 
"Don't forget the hoedown music," Otto added.
 
Duo snorted and tried to hold his laughter. The mood suddenly changed though as the first competitor in the jump off was called into the arena. Duo and Otto moved together to get a better view. Treize appeared and then Heero as the first rider entered the ring.
 
Duo could see what Heero meant when he'd stated that the course was tricky. This rider was having a few problems getting his horse to listen to him and slow his gait. The horse was keen and eager, unfortunately speed was against him. Coming clear off the oxer, the horse was going too fast to make the tight, inside turn to the gate and had to take the longer run, costing valuable seconds. He cleared the rest of the course and came out with no faults and a time of 57.68 seconds.
 
Treize checked his girth and closing his fingers on the reins, rode into the ring amid calls of good luck from his friends. He found the judge, saluted and then with a determined look, rode towards the start flags. The bell rang and Treize turned Goose towards the start. "Take it easy, boy, and listen to me. This isn't hard but we have to go clear."
 
Goose twitched an ear and then focused on the jumps ahead, his attention fully on the job at hand.
 
The first fence, a cross bar, was cleared easily and then the parallel bars loomed ahead. Goose cleared them effortlessly, his ears pricked as he waited for the signals from his rider. He steadied himself as he approached the oxer, gathered his hind legs under him and jumped. As he landed Treize sat down hard in his saddle, taking a firm contact and riding the horse together, shortening the stride and asking for the turn. Goose responded immediately, sitting well on his haunches and making a spectacular turn within two strides of landing.
 
"Bastard!" hissed Heero as he watched, although there was a smile on his face.
 
"Wow! Go Treize," Duo said as he stood in awe of the man's skill.
 
Goose took another three strides and cleared the gate, every muscle stretching, listening to his rider. The wall appeared and was also cleared; now only the triple remained. Treize collected Goose together, picked the take off point and then rode the horse in. Goose lengthened out, jumped the first element, landed, took two strides and then launched over the second element. Clearing that, he took another three strides and leapt over the third. As Goose landed so Treize's legs were there, urging the horse on and Goose was only too eager to comply. He flattened his ears and sprang into a gallop, heading straight through the finish flags and breaking the beam of the electronic timer.
 
Treize steadied the bay, bringing the reluctant horse back to a trot and looking up at the numerical display. His face broke out into a wide grin as he turned for the exit.
 
"Clear round in a time of 48.39," the announcer stated over the loud speaker. "Next competitor, Heero Yuy on Zero."
 
As Treize rode out the ring, so Heero rode in. "Good luck," said Treize as they passed.
 
"You set a scorcher of a time, Treize," replied Heero. "Good round."
 
Duo and Otto wished Heero good luck as the accountant rode into the ring, then they congratulated Treize as he rode out. Treize turned Goose around so he could sit and watch Heero's round before changing over to Peacemillion and quickly warming that horse up. Duo found a carrot in his pocket and gave it to Goose who took it politely and crunched away.
 
Heero pushed his helmet on further, gripped his whip tightly and rode over to the judge. He saluted and headed for the start flags. Treize had certainly thrown down the gauntlet and Heero was determined to give him a run for his money. The bell rang and Heero ran a hand down Zero's neck.
 
"Tough one this time, Zero. You're really going to have to listen to me and give this all you have."
 
Zero's shoulder muscle quivered in response. Zero didn't understand what his master was saying, but he could tell from the tone of his voice and the touch to his neck that this was important. Feeling his master's legs close on his sides, Zero went smoothly into a canter.
 
Heero turned for the start and broke the beam of the electronic clock.
 
The cross bar and parallel bars passed quickly, cleared in Zero's usual style. The oxer was rapidly approaching and Heero knew he had to have Zero exactly where he wanted him if he was to make a good turn to the gate after landing over the oxer. Sitting down into his saddle, Heero collected the gray together, containing the energy and then letting Zero go at the last moment.
 
Zero flew over the oxer and landed, his master checking him back again and Zero responded, settling his weight into his hind quarters and then turning as his master asked.
 
Duo was chewing on the end of his braid as he watched Heero and his horse take the oxer then sit back and spin around in readiness for the gate.
 
Zero had been traveling a touch faster than Goose and it took him three strides to make his turn onto the gate. They still managed to make the inner track though, passing a hair's breath inside the rustic rails. Spotting the gate ahead, Zero lengthened his stride and jumped, standing well off from the base line and clearing the gate. They landed and Heero turned his horse for the wall.
 
Concentration was etched into every line of Heero face as he approached the wall. The spectators were completely silent except for the odd 'ohh or ahh' of appreciation. Duo was shifting his weight from one foot to the other, Otto was smiling softly as he watched the pair completing their course and Treize sat, an amused smile on his face as his eyes went from Heero to the clock and back again.
 
There was no denying the improvement in the combination. Heero and his horse had been good when Treize had taken over the teaching of the young rider. Being keen and eager to learn, not to mention gifted in some ways, Heero's riding and jumping skills had improved dramatically. The proof was out there now and Treize had no doubts that the young man would achieve his goal of not just riding in the Nations Cup team, but making it to the Olympics as well. Provided his horse was good enough. Judging by the way Zero was going, Treize knew they were a winning combination and the horse shouldn't have many problems contesting an international course.
 
Zero cleared the wall and landed, giving a slight toss of his head as he looked for the next jump. His master turned him slightly and Zero could see the approaching rails.
 
Fingers closed on the reins, Heero held the impulsion in check and then let the horse have his head in the last three strides. Legs were applied and Zero bounded over the first element, landed and then with two strides leapt over the second element. Landing over part 'B', Heero was again there with his legs and seat to drive Zero together and they soared into the air over the third element. As Zero touched down Heero drove the gray forward into a gallop for the finish.
 
Zero gave a small buck as he sprinted to the finish flags and shot through, breaking the timing beam and stopping the clock. As Heero brought his horse back through the paces to a walk, he turned to see what the large red numbers said.
 
"Clear round in a time of 48.45 seconds," the announcer said.
 
"Six hundredths of a second," Duo said and looked at Treize.
 
Treize shrugged as he dismounted and got on Peacemillion. "Them's the breaks," he said with a smile.
 
Heero exited the ring, patting Zero and looking around for Duo. He felt a little disappointed with the time, but that was how it went in the game of showjumping. He was still thrilled with the performance Zero had given and promised his horse extra treats that night for his efforts.
 
Zero was busy looking for the long haired human that always had carrots for him.
 
"Great round, Heero," Duo congratulated as Heero rode up to them. He reached into his pocket and gave Zero a carrot, the horse having nudged him as soon as he was in nudging distance. "There you go, piggy. You were such a good boy."
 
"You certainly rode well," Otto commented as Heero dismounted. "Damn close!"
 
Heero smiled. "He was great, wasn't he?" Heero said as he patted Zero's neck and tried to get a little closer to Duo to bump shoulders with his lover. Before he had a chance, Relena was there and had planted a big kiss to Heero's cheek.
 
"That was fantastic, Heero. I was sure you had beaten Treize. Not to worry though, I'm certain you will finish second," the woman gushed as she tried to hold Heero's hand.
 
Heero managed to twist himself slightly and raise his hand out of Relena's way, pretending to be fiddling with Zero's gear. "Thank you," he replied politely. "It's not over yet though, there are still three more riders to go including Treize on your horse."
 
Duo watched the kiss and attempt to hold Heero's hand. Anger and jealousy flared in his chest, but he was powerless to do anything about the situation. He could only sit back and watch as Heero dealt with the woman as best he could.
 
"Zero needs walking around to cool him off a bit," Duo said, trying to distract Relena and give Heero a way out.
 
Relena turned to face the vet. "Well, you're his groom, shouldn't you be walking him around? That's what Otto is doing with Tall Geese."
 
The words left Duo momentarily stunned and he didn't get the opportunity to say anything as Relena grabbed Heero's arm and turned him towards the arena where the fourth rider had just pulled a rail on the parallel bars. "Come on, Heero. You should be watching the rest of the competitors, I'm sure your groom can handle the horse."
 
Heero gave Duo a helpless look as he was dragged to the side of the arena. Duo flashed his lover a suffering smile, letting Heero know he understood and stuck his tongue out at Relena's back. Heero sighed and turned around.
 
Duo took Zero and began to walk the gray around, still feeding him carrots as they walked. "You sure you can't boot her one, Zero?" he said as he complained to the horse about Relena. "Who the hell does she think she is? Playing up to my Heero like that. Geeze, I wish it had been me to dump her in the shit. What I wouldn't give for a nice sloppy pile of crap and a well timed trip up of her pinkness. Are you sure you don't have the runs, Zero? Can't persuade you to cock your tail and drop a load on her?"
 
Zero just wuffled and asked for more carrots.
 
The fourth rider came out of the arena with four penalties and a time of 56.28. The fifth rider entered and set off at a fast pace, doing their best to equal or better Treize's time. Deciding Zero had cooled off enough, Duo began to walk back towards the collecting ring and a spot where he could watch Treize and Peacemillion. Otto joined him with Goose and the pair stood together. Duo could see Heero to the side, Miss Peaceofshit still doggedly holding Heero's hand.
 
Treize rode up and immediately picked up on the tension in Duo. He wondered where Heero was and scanned around. Spotting the dark haired rider with Relena attached, he knew then the reason for Duo's annoyance. He couldn't voice his concerns so gave the vet a sympathetic smile instead and made a mental note to try and keep Relena from attending shows in the future.
 
The fifth rider dropped rails on two jumps and came out of the ring with eight faults and a time of 49.23. Now it was Treize's turn. He rode into the ring amid calls of good luck from his friends and fellow competitors.
 
Saluting the judge, Treize headed for the start flags, his strategy clear in his mind. Knowing how long Peacemillion's stride was, Treize wasn't about to push the horse. Taking it steady was his game plan.
 
The bell went and Treize commenced his round, starting off slowly and letting the stallion find his rhythm. They cleared the cross rails and parallel bars with ease. The oxer appeared and Peacemillion sailed over it. Treize opted to go for the longer run to the gate rather than try to adjust the gray's stride and rode the big horse around the outside of the rustic rails to line him up for the gate. The stallion responded well and cleared the gate.
 
The wall loomed ahead and Treize collected the horse up, steadying him and then riding on. Peacemillion cleared the wall and was bearing down on the triple. They jumped the first element and then the second. Peacemillion pecked a little on landing but recovered and then grunted as he leapt over the third part of the triple. He landed clean on the other side and Treize encouraged the stallion to gallop for the finish flags.
 
"Clear round in a time of 58.34," the announcer said.
 
Treize praised the stallion as he rode towards the exit. He could see Otto there with Goose, a broad smile on his face. Duo was beside him, also smiling. He couldn't see Relena or Heero though. Riding out and pulling up beside the other two, Heero appeared at his side, Relena still hanging on to Heero's hand.
 
"Well done, Treize," Heero managed to say and also freed his hand from Relena to shake Treize's.
 
"Thanks," Treize replied as he shook hands with the young man. "I thought it better not to push him, just take it steady and see how he coped."
 
"Great round, boss," Otto offered as he took the gray's reins and handed Goose's reins over.
 
"You guys need to mount up again, they're calling for you to go back into the ring for presentations," Duo said from where he was holding Zero. His voice had an edge to it.
 
Taking Zero's reins from Duo, Heero managed to lean in and whisper, "I'm sorry," to Duo before mounting up.
 
"Not your fault," Duo replied as he handed Heero his whip.
 
"I promise to make it up to you later," Heero said as he fiddled with his stirrup, bringing his head closer to where Duo was standing so no one else would hear his words.
 
"Really?" Duo grinned.
 
"Whatever you want," Heero breathed and gave his lover a seductive smile.
 
Conversation was cut then as the announcer called for the six riders to enter the arena for the presentation of rosettes and prizes.
 
Treize rode Goose in, leading Peacemillion, Heero followed and then the others rode behind. The judge congratulated each of them, placing the blue rosette on Goose's bridle, the white on Peacemillion's and the red on Zero's. Then he continued down the line up, putting the green fourth, yellow fifth and brown sixth on the other competitors' horses.
 
The usual canter around the ring was reduced to a trot as Treize was leading Peacemillion and so safety was put first. As they exited so Relena was standing there with Otto, Duo to the other side, waiting to congratulate them all.
 
Heero did his best to ride off to the side, but Relena wasn't about to let him go so easily. After congratulating Treize and making a fuss of Peacemillion, she turned her attentions to Heero. Immediately Duo's hackles rose and he tried to put himself between his boyfriend and the parasite. Relena wasn't easily dissuaded though.
 
"I said you'd finish in the top three," she began smugly.
 
Heero just hn'd and went back to loosening Zero's girth.
 
"Heero?" Relena began.
 
"Yes?"
 
"I'd like to take you out to dinner tonight to celebrate. There's a nice restaurant called the Hunter's Lodge."
 
Heero didn't give the woman a chance to finish. He could feel Duo bristling, noted the look of fire in those violet eyes and was quick off the mark. "Thank you, but no thanks."
 
"Why not?" Relena wasn't used to being rejected.
 
"I have things to do when I get back home. Zero needs to be settled..."
 
"Isn't that why you have your groom?" Relena snapped.
 
"Duo is not my groom," Heero snapped back.
 
"Then if he isn't your groom, what is he doing here?"
 
"He's my," Heero hesitated for a second, feeling the sudden fear rolling off Duo. "He's my friend and offered to help me at shows. Zero is my responsibility and it's up to me to look after him when we get back."
 
Relena frowned and thought for a moment. "It won't take you long to settle him. I'll call by and pick you up around seven."
 
"No. Relena, I don't just have Zero to sort out. I've got another two horses that need to be fed as well. I've also got the books to do for Duo's vet practice." Heero didn't know what he was explaining himself, he didn't owe this woman anything.
 
Duo was fidgeting, longing to interrupt and tell the woman to fuck off, Heero wasn't interested, but he held his tongue. Heero needed to battle this one on his own.
 
"Why can't he do his own books? Is he dumb or something?"
 
Duo only just managed to stop his hand from snaking out and slapping the woman. He quickly diverted it and patted Zero's neck, a little harder than he'd intended. Zero could feel the tension in the nice human and his master and it upset him. He didn't know why they were tense, but it usually meant something unpleasant was around. Nervously he shifted, jerking his head and looking for the cause of distress to his master and the nice human.
 
Unfortunately for Relena, she was standing in the way and Zero bumped against her, stepping on her foot as he shifted his weight.
 
"Ow!" Relena cried out and shoved at Zero. "Get off my foot, you clumsy animal!" she cried out and then burst into tears.
 
Zero immediately swung around, frightened by the yelling, Duo doing his best to calm the horse.
 
"Better let me take a look at that," Duo said as he watched Relena pulling her shoe off to inspect the damage.
 
"No, thank you. You're a vet, not a doctor. I'm not having you touch me." Relena turned her eyes back to her foot where a black and purple bruise was beginning to form. "It feels like it's broken," she wailed.
 
"Better get to a doctor and have it looked at," remarked Otto who had watched the goings on with amusement.
 
"I can't walk, let alone drive. Someone will have to carry me back to the car and drive me to the hospital," she sniffled and spun her head to look at Heero.
 
Heero quickly ducked behind Zero, pretending he hadn't heard or seen the look.
 
"I'll take you, Relena," Treize interrupted. "I'll give Otto a hand to load the horses and stow the gear, then he can drive the truck back to the stables and I'll take you in your car to the hospital."Seeing as how she had no way out, Relena had to give in. "Okay," she said and continued to sniff.
 
Heero gave a sigh of relief.
 
Duo patted Zero and stuffed him with more carrots. A big grin was on his face as he petted and made a fuss of the gray. "Perfect timing, Zero. I couldn't have done it better myself. You're a good boy."
 
Zero didn't know what it was he'd done, but if it kept the carrots coming he'd gladly do it again.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...