Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 20 ( Chapter 20 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 20
 
While Duo was out in the paddock congratulating Zero, Heero made his call to Treize. The former silver medalist had indeed received a letter that day, congratulating him on making the short list with Goose. Heero couldn't help but laugh when Treize said he hoped the team trainer and manager wouldn't mind Duck coming along as well to the camp.
 
They chatted for a few more minutes, sharing their excitement and congratulating each other again before Heero hung up and called the Chang Palace to reserve a table for two at eight that evening. With the calls out of the way, Heero decided to go out to the paddock and see how Duo was faring with Zero and a bucket of carrots.
 
* * *
 
Duo picked up an empty plastic bucket and went through to the feed shed where the carrots were kept. He filled the bucket with the orange treats and then headed for the paddock. Zero saw the nice human coming and spotted the bucket. 'Food', his brain said and with a whinny, Zero trotted over to the gate to meet the nice human.
 
Scythe and Shini looked up from their grazing when they heard the stallion call out, their curiosity aroused. Spotting the man with the bucket, both mare and colt sauntered over to the gates of their respective paddocks to see if they couldn't 'cage' some of whatever it was that was on offer.
 
Duo put the bucket on the ground and climbed through the fence, reaching an arm back and snagging the bucket to bring it through as well. He took out a carrot and fed it to the gray. Patting the muscled neck, Duo began to tell Zero all about the letter and the selection to the team short list.
 
Zero listened with half an ear. He could sense the human was happy about something and the carrots told him it had something to do with him; what that was, Zero didn't know. And he didn't really care either, he just wanted more of those carrots. He nudged the nice human and asked for more.
 
Duo chuckled. "Here you go, boy. You're one heck of a horse, Zero. I hope you can keep up with the winning streak. Being selected means the world to your master and I just know you're both good enough to do the country proud." Duo fed the stallion a couple more carrots.
 
Zero wolfed down the carrots and began to push for more, nudging and nibbling at the nice human.
 
"Steady on, piggy. No need to bolt them down, there's plenty more," Duo laughed as Zero began to push his arm.
 
Scythe gave a neigh and Shini joined in. They wanted some attention too!
 
"Okay, okay. I'm coming to you two in a second. Hold your horses," Duo said as he fed Zero some more carrots. The gray's mouth was stuffed so full that bits of carrot were falling out onto the ground, but Zero still pushed for more.
 
Heero walked down towards the paddock and spotted Duo with Zero. His lips quirked into a grin as he observed the stallion starting to get a little too pushy with the vet, nudging and shoving for more carrots. Heero knew just how demanding the stallion could get when carrots were on the menu.
 
Before Heero had a chance to call out to Duo and warn him, Zero nudged again, a bit harder this time. Duo lost his balance and ended up flat on his back in the paddock, carrots raining down around him. Heero broke into a jog, trying not to laugh as Duo lay, arms flailing, trying to fight Zero off.
 
"You okay?" Heero asked as he climbed through the fence. "Zero! Enough!" Heero's voice took on a strong tone as he reprimanded the stallion.
 
Zero looked suitably sheepish and backed off, vacuuming up the carrots that had landed a little away from the nice human.
 
"I'm fine, Heero," Duo replied as he took the offered hand and pulled himself to his feet, dusting his jeans off. "He took me by surprise."
 
"I think he's forgotten his manners," said Heero as he grabbed Zero's halter. "Bad boy!"
 
Zero lowered his head and looked ashamed of himself.
 
"It's okay, Heero. He didn't hurt me and it wasn't intentional. It was my own fault really, I should have known better than to hop in the paddock with a bucketful of carrots."
 
Zero raised his head and blew softly through his nostrils at Duo. He gave the vet a soft push with his nose as if in apology.
 
"You're forgiven, Zero. No harm done," chuckled Duo as he rubbed the velvet muzzle. "I think the other two would like some carrots though, that's if there's any left."
 
Happy that his boyfriend was okay, Heero gave Duo a hand to pick up the scattered carrots and put them back into the bucket. They left Zero munching on a few and then climbed back through the fence to give Scythe and Shini their share.
 
"I reserved us a table for eight o'clock," Heero said.
 
"Thanks."
 
"Treize got a letter too. He's on the short list as well."
 
"That's great!"
 
"He's a little worried about taking Duck along."
 
Duo broke out into a laugh. "I can't see that the selectors will have much of a choice. From what you've all been telling me about short stuff, Goose won't jump if he's not there."
 
Heero grinned. "Too true. Could make for some real fun if Treize makes it to the final team though."
 
"Surely they wouldn't stop Duck from going with the team to wherever it is the competition is being held? Just where is it being held anyway?" Up until now, Duo hadn't even thought about the Cup and where it would be hosted.
 
"It's being held at the Equestrian center in Sydney," Heero replied. "New Zealand hosted the last one, this time it's Australia's turn to host it."
 
"Ah. I guess Sydney's not as far to go as Auckland."
 
"Not as expensive either."
 
"Do you get funding?" asked Duo as he gave Scythe the last carrot and began to walk back to the stables with Heero.
 
"No, not really. You can try to get your own sponsorship, but there isn't a lot of that around. Mostly you have to pay for it yourself. As you can imagine, it's not cheap to send a horse and rider to compete internationally."
 
"But other athletes get financial backing, why don't the equestrian teams?" Duo could understand and appreciate that it wasn't cheap to compete on a horse, but surely when they were representing their country their expenses should be paid?
 
"Other athletes do. It's just too costly I suppose for the government to support the equestrian teams." [1]
 
"Well, that sucks," replied Duo. "How are you going to cope if you do make the team? I'm quite happy to sponsor you with what little I can from the practice, Heero. It's not much, but it's something."
 
Heero stopped and pulled Duo to him. Wrapping his strong arms around the vet, he gazed into those sincere, violet eyes. "Duo, I appreciate the offer, but I know the practice can't afford to sponsor me. Luckily, the competition is being held in Sydney so all it will cost me is the fuel for the trip down there and accommodation at a hotel near the venue. I'm not rich, but I can stretch to that."
 
Duo smiled. "The offer is there if you need it, Heero," he said quietly.
 
Heero kissed his lover and then smiled. "Thanks. Come on, we'd better get a move on. I've got the horses to work and you have evening consults in half an hour."
 
"Shit!" Duo turned and continued to walk back to the stables. "Hopefully there won't be too many clients this evening and we will get to the restaurant on time."
 
Chuckling softly, Heero followed along behind the vet.
 
* * *
 
At precisely eight that evening Heero and Duo arrived at the Chang palace. Heero held the door open for Duo and then followed inside. Rich smells teased their nostrils and Heero's stomach growled.
 
"Good evening, Doctor Maxwell, Mr Yuy."
 
"Hello, Meiran. How have you been?" replied Duo. Heero nodded.
 
"Very well, thank you. And you?"
 
"Fine, thanks. How are Wufei and Xander?"
 
"Wufei is well, Xander is in need of a nail trim though. I keep meaning to bring him down to the surgery, but I always seem to run out of time," replied the Chinese woman. "I have reserved you one of our quieter tables this evening, Doctor Maxwell. If you would follow me."
 
Heero followed behind Duo as they made their way through the tables to the one Meiran had reserved for them. The Chinese woman placed the menus on the table as the men took their seats.
 
"Can I get you something to drink?"
 
"I'd love a lemon, lime and bitters," said Duo.
 
"Make that two, please," Heero added.
 
The woman disappeared to fetch the drinks leaving Heero and Duo to read through the menus. She returned a couple of minutes later and set the drinks down.
 
Having decided what they wanted to eat, Duo ordered for the both of them and then picked up his drink and touching the glass against Heero's he said, "Here's to making the final team, Heero. Congratulations."
 
Heero felt his heart warm and a smile grace his lips.
 
"Are you celebrating something special?" Meiran asked. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to pry, but I couldn't help overhearing."
 
"It's okay, Meiran. Heero here has been short listed for the Australian Nations Cup team," Duo announced proudly.
 
"Ahh. Congratulations, Mr Yuy." Meiran smiled. "Would you mind explaining what that means?"
 
Duo chuckled softly to himself at Heero's expression and sat back to let the rider explain.
 
* * *
 
"I've never seen anything like that before, Mr Styles," said Duo as he straightened up and gave the filly a pat.
 
"Me neither," replied the man. "And I've been around horses for years."
 
Duo smiled and looked at the filly again. She was a sweet thing, only a yearling and with a promising future ahead; providing he could do something to help. Duo scratched the back of his neck as he studied the filly again.
 
"Can you help her?"
 
Good question.
 
Duo mentally ran the anatomy of the horse's lower leg through his mind and then bent down to feel the filly's cannon bone. Just above the fetlock a partially grown, fifth hoof protruded. Duo had no idea why Mother Nature would do such a thing. More to the point, what could he do about rectifying the mistake?
 
"I'd like to get a couple of x-rays of her leg, Mr Styles, see exactly how this is attached to the cannon bone. Once I have the x-rays I'll be able to tell what the options are."
 
"Fine. Take the x-rays then and we can work from there."
 
"Thanks." Duo ducked into the small room attached to the stables and wheeled out his portable x-ray machine. Five minutes later, he had it all set up to go and handed Mr Styles a lead apron. "Here, put that on and then stand by her head to keep her still please."
 
Styles did as asked and spoke soothingly to the filly, keeping her calm and relaxed while Duo took the 'pictures'.
 
"Thanks. I'll take these through and develop them, we should have an answer in a few minutes." Duo disappeared into his small room again and shut the door.
 
Ten minutes passed, Mr Styles removed his apron and lay it on the small bench, returning to the yearling and pulling affectionately on her ears as he waited for the vet and the diagnosis. The door opened and Styles turned to see Duo walking out, films in his hand and a thoughtful look on his face.
 
"So?" Styles asked.
 
"Come and take a look," replied Duo and slipped the pictures onto the light board, flipping the switch so the light came on and illuminated the x-rays. "Here is the cannon bone," Duo pointed with a pencil, tracing the bone on the x-ray. "And here you can see where the fifth hoof has developed."
 
"Ah." Mr Styles squinted as he studied the picture. "What can we do about it?"
 
"Judging by what I can see, the cannon bone is thicker here where the extra hoof has grown. I should be able to surgically remove the hoof, reshape the cannon bone a bit and you should have a normal, healthy yearling again."
 
Mr Styles grunted. "Risks?"
 
"There's always risks with large animal surgery, Mr Styles. With horses it's shock. The longer they're under anesthetic the greater the risk of shock. This shouldn't take too long though, especially if I have another vet assist me. The filly is young too which goes in her favor."
 
Mr Styles looked from the vet to the filly and back again. "When can you do it?"
 
Duo ran a mental check of his bookings. "Tomorrow afternoon?"
 
"Fine. Book her in then.""Okay. I'll need you to come up to the surgery and fill out the forms. I'll need her to stay here tonight and depending on how the surgery goes, she should be okay to go home in two or three days."
 
"All right, young man. You just do your best and look after her. Melody here has got good bloodlines and I'm hoping she will be a champion on the race track."
 
"I'll look after her, Mr Styles," Duo smiled. "Now, if you would like to follow me." Duo took the man through to the surgery and had him fill out the appropriate forms, once they were done, Mr Styles left, Duo assuring him that he would call as soon as the surgery was finished and let him know how it had gone.
 
Hilde appeared as the man left and quirked an eyebrow. Duo pointed to the surgery bookings diary.
 
"Removal of fifth hoof?" she questioned.
 
"Yup."
 
"I've never seen anything like that before. Mind if I come down to the stables and watch when you do the surgery?"
 
"You'll be doing more than watching, Hilde. I'd like you to assist."
 
"Great!" The female vet beamed. "Is the horse here now?"
 
"Yeah. She's down in the crush. I'd better go back and pop her into a paddock."
 
"Okay if I tag along and have a look?"
 
"Come on. I'd like you to take a look anyway and see what you think. I've got a pretty good idea how I'm going to tackle the surgery, but I'd like your input too."
 
"Right with you, boss."
 
Leaving the surgery, Duo and Hilde headed back to the stables. As they were approaching so Heero pulled in. Seeing the pair heading for the stable block, Heero followed.
 
"Something up?" Heero asked as he stepped inside and spotted the horse in the crush. "Nice animal," he added.
 
"Yeah, she's got a big future on the race track if we are successful," replied Duo.
 
"What's the problem?"
 
"Well, I'll be," muttered Hilde as she bent down to examine the filly's leg. "Ever seen a five hoofed horse, Heero?"
 
"Huh?" Heero moved to the crush and squatted, his eyes traveling to where Hilde pointed. Heero gave a whistle. "Never seen anything like that before. What exactly is it?"
 
"It's a deformity. I'd say the genetics were possibly a little off and this little girl decided to throw back to her ancestors, the ones that had three toes instead of one hoof," said Duo with a grin.
 
"Can you fix it?" Heero straightened.
 
"I'm pretty sure we can. Come and take a look at the x-rays." Duo led Hilde and Heero to the board where the x-rays remained. Hilde ran a practiced eye over them, Heero stood with his mouth open.
 
"Looks complicated to me," Heero muttered.
 
"Not really. In layman's terms, it's just a case of opening the leg up, cutting through the bone where the extra hoof is growing from, reshaping the cannon bone and stitching back up," said Duo.
 
"That's in theory," Hilde said. "There's a shit load of fine nerves and blood vessels in there."
 
"Why do you think I asked you to assist? With two of us working on her we should get the operation done a lot quicker and minimize shock."
 
"When are you operating?" Heero asked.
 
"Tomorrow afternoon." Duo switched the light board off.
 
"Can I help?"
 
Duo thought for a moment. "Actually, you could assist. I'm going to need someone to keep an eye on the anesthetic and machines while Hilde and I are operating. It would be easier to have someone do that for us than for us to keep stopping. It will also mean I can leave Catherine in the reception to take calls and delay evening consults if we haven't finished in time."
 
"Thanks. I'll let Treize know I want to leave a little earlier tomorrow."
 
"You sure you're not just looking for an excuse to get away from the pink parasite?" Hilde snickered.
 
Heero rolled his eyes. "She hasn't shown up yet, but I expect her to any day now. Treize said she's managing to get around on her crutches a bit better. If she can get someone to drive her over she will be back."
 
"Want me to go around and let all the air out of her tires?"
 
"Hilde!"
 
"I could put tacks down if you'd prefer?"
 
"You're just as bad as Duo!"
 
"Nah, I'm better. But that's something you'll never get to confirm." Hilde gave the rider a wink and smirk before leaving the stables and going back to the surgery.
 
Heero could see Duo trying to hold his laughter. "Don't say a word," he growled and stalked off to get the lungeing gear for Shinigami.
 
***
 
Duo checked over the operating room once more, mentally ticking off everything in his head. The operating room was situated in the stable block and had been specifically designed for large animals. The walls were padded, as was the floor. The operating table was centrally located and stood upon a hydraulic platform. This enabled the table to be raised, lowered and pretty much put on any angle needed. It was a state of the art room and had cost Duo a small fortune; but he was proud of it.
 
With large animal surgery on the increase, facilities to enable the operations to take place were sorely needed. Duo had often found his operating theater being used by another vet for a large animal operation. He didn't mind, the other vets paid for the use of the facility and the income Duo had gained had almost paid for the initial cost of setting the room up.
 
Stepping out into the stable area, Duo smiled as Hilde walked past and into the scrub up area to get ready. Heero was already dressed in blue scrubs and in the stable with the filly, talking to her and keeping her calm. Duo looked over the stable door. "I need to give her a mild sedative now," He said and stepped inside.
 
The needle went into the vein without any fuss and Duo injected the sedative. Turning back to Heero, he gave his last instructions. "Give that about five minutes and then bring her out to the operating theater. I'm going to scrub up. Once she's inside I'll give her the full anesthetic."
 
"Okay." Heero patted the filly. "Can I steal a kiss before you go getting all dressed up?"
 
Duo smiled. "Of course." He moved close and allowed Hero to take his lips in a warm, affectionate kiss. "See you in the theater."
 
The filly started to sway a little, the drug making her a little groggy. Carefully, Heero led her out of the stable and to the theater where Hilde and Duo waited. The filly hesitated for a moment at the doorway, but the soothing words from Heero encouraged her to enter. Duo was in his surgical scrubs of green, green pants, green top, green hair cover and white, waterproof boots. Hilde was similarly attired. Surgical masks hung around their respective necks.
 
"Bring her over here, Heero. I need to have her side on. Once the anesthetic starts to work I'm going to have to push her slightly so she lies on the table. Once she's out I can maneuver the table into the position we will need." The table was lowered almost to ground level and on a slight angle in readiness for the patient.
 
Heero brought the filly around and held her steady in place. Duo slipped another needle into the vein and slowly depressed the plunger. Anesthetic began to filter into the filly's blood stream and her knees started to buckle. Duo stopped injecting and between the three of them they guided the horse down to the operating table. Lying on her side, Duo continued to inject until he was sure the filly was unconscious, then he taped the needle into place for topping up the anesthetic, should the need arise.
 
"Right, oxygen mask, electrodes, clippers..." Duo barked out what he needed, time was the all important issue here. He didn't want to keep the filly under for any longer than he had to.
 
Heero slipped the oxygen mask over the filly's muzzle and adjusted the machine to Duo's specifications. Hilde grabbed the electrodes and placed them on the filly's body, checking the machine was working properly and recording the heart rate, breathing rate and temperature. Duo grabbed the clippers and began to clip away the hair from the operation site.
 
Hilde swabbed the area down with betadine and set a surgical cloth over the leg. Duo pulled the trolley of instruments towards them and lifted the tourniquet bandage from the tray. The bandage was secured, ensuring that the blood loss during the operation would be as minimal as possible.
 
"All set?" Duo asked as he looked at Heero who was positioned by the filly's head, eyes keeping watch on the machinery.
 
"Yes," Heero replied.
 
"All set here," Hilde stated and then raised her mask to cover her face.
 
"Then let's start." Duo pulled his mask up. "Scalpel."
 
* * *
 
Inserting the last stitch, Duo let the needle and scissors clatter into the kidney dish and stepped back. He rubbed his tired eyes and gazed down at the neat row of stitches, a smile gracing his lips as he pulled the mask down.
 
Hilde removed the tourniquet bandage and checked the filly's vitals. "All looks good," she said as she reached for another bandage and gauze to wrap the wound with.
 
"Right. Let's get her conscious again then." Duo removed the anesthetic needle and injected a painkiller and antibiotic. The mask and electrodes were taken off and the table lowered.
 
While they waited for the filly to come round, Hilde took the soiled instruments from the theater and into the small adjoining room to be cleaned. The filly started to wake, shaking her head and looking around groggily. Heero and Duo eased her from the operating table to the padded floor and gave her room to wake properly.
 
Hilde returned and watched as the filly slowly threw off the effects of the anesthetic and began to try and stand. After a few attempts, she managed and stood on wobbly legs, gazing around her.
 
"We will keep her in here for a little while longer, until she's stronger on those legs, then she can go back into the stable. Hilde? I'll need you to keep an eye on her for the next two hours. Check her vitals every half hour and once they have steadied she should be okay to leave for a while."
 
"Will do," replied Hilde.
 
"I'll take turns with you, Hilde," said Heero as he watched the filly sway slightly.
 
Duo picked up the piece of hoof they had removed and studied it. It was interesting and he was looking forward to going over it more thoroughly later, when he had the time. Duo's beeper went off and he jumped. He looked at the tiny screen and then walked over to the intercom system. Pressing the button he spoke. "You paged, Catherine?"
 
"There's someone to see you at the reception, Doctor Maxwell. He says he's a friend of yours and a colleague."
 
"Ah. Who is it?"
 
"A Doctor Zechs Merquise."
 
"Zechs!" Duo said with a grin. "Send him down to the stables, Catherine. We're finished here and just got the cleaning up to do."
 
"Okay. He's on his way."
 
"Thanks, Catherine." Duo released the button and turned to face Hilde and Heero. "I wonder what Zechs wants?"
 
~ * ~
 
tbc....
 
 
[1] As far as I know, this is true. I've spoken with some of Australia's International competitors and they have all stated how hard it is to get financial backing to take their horses overseas to qualify and compete in Olympic competition. The Aussie government and Institute of Sport contribute a lot to the financial side of the athletes representing the country at Olympic, Commonwealth and other major international sporting events. The equestrian teams, however, receive no financial support from the government. They have to find their own sponsorship or foot the financial bill themselves. Kinda sucks, don't it? Especially when the Aussie One Day Event teams have been so successful in winning gold at recent Olympic games.
 
Authors Note: I personally have not come across a horse born with five hooves. The condition of the horse and the operation performed in this chapter were taken from an episode of 'Harry's Practice' - a vet show here on Aussie TV and did occur. The foal was operated on sucessfully and now leads a normal life.