Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 24 ( Chapter 24 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 24
 
Zechs followed the instructions that Treize gave him and a few minutes later they were pulling up at the back of Treize's house. Zechs brought the car to a stop and cut the engine, turning to the ginger haired man beside him, he spoke softly. "Come on, I'll take you inside." Getting out, Zechs walked around to the passenger side and waited while Treize exited the car before locking it. Placing a hand upon the other man's elbow, Zechs steered Treize towards the back door of the house.
 
They entered the house and stepped into the kitchen, Zechs looking around for where the doorway would be to lead them into the rest of the residence. Treize seemed to come out of his shock and stepped across the kitchen and through to the hall where he headed for the study. Zechs followed, a little unsure of what to do or say but concerned enough to know that Treize shouldn't be left alone right now.
 
"Is there anyone here to stay with you?" Zechs asked as he walked into the study behind Treize. "Wife, girlfriend?"
 
"No. I'm not married, don't have a girlfriend, or boyfriend for that matter right now and it's my housekeeper Jenny's day off," replied Treize as he slumped onto the red leather couch in the office.
 
"Oh." Zechs spotted a small liquor cabinet behind the large, oak desk and made a beeline for it as his mind processed the words Treize had just said. 'Not married, no girlfriend or boyfriend.' It was the word 'boyfriend' that stuck most in his mind. Zechs shook himself. He had to leave that thought alone. The man was in shock, grief at losing a good horse a fresh wound and Zechs was a professional; at least he hoped he was.
 
Reaching into the cabinet, Zechs pulled out two glasses and a crystal decanter of amber fluid. Releasing the stopper and sniffing the contents his nose informed him that it was what he thought - scotch. He poured a generous amount into one glass and then locating a bottle of lime, he added a dash of that and some soda water to the other glass. Walking back over to the couch, Zechs handed the scotch to Treize, keeping the lime and soda for himself.
 
"Drink this," Zechs said softly.
 
Taking the glass, Treize looked at it for a moment, swished the fluid around and then took along draught. The scotch burnt a fiery trail down his gullet and he coughed a couple of times with the strength of it.
 
"Easy," said Zechs as he sat beside the man. "Don't go drinking it too fast, it's pretty powerful stuff."
 
Treize managed a small smile and then dragged himself out of his dark thoughts long enough to realize that the vet had actually made him a drink and was sitting here with him. Then another thought hit him. "Shouldn't you be going back to work?"
 
"It's okay. I called the surgery to explain what had happened. They know where I am and they have my cell number if they need me. Right now though, you need me more. You've just suffered a traumatic experience, I'm not about to go and leave you to deal with it alone."
 
Treize lowered his eyes and stared long and hard into his glass. "He…he was a good horse," Treize began softly. "He didn't deserve this. Yeah, he was hot headed and temperamental at times, but Heero had him working so well and then..." Treize's voice hitched as the scene played in his head for the umpteenth time. "Oh god."
 
Carefully, Zechs took the glass from a trembling hand and set it on the coffee table. The man beside him broke down, the grief and stress of the past couple of hours catching up with him.
 
Unable to hold back any longer, Treize gave in to the overwhelming sadness that filled his heart. He felt the glass leave his hand, then warm, strong arms enveloped his shaking shoulders and Treize found himself with his face buried between the vet's neck and shoulder. Images of Taurus and Heero flashed through his mind, the sound of the humane killer rang in his eardrums and Treize let it all go. He sobbed onto the other man's shoulder, unable to stop the tide of grief that overwhelmed him.
 
Zechs held the proud man. He didn't comment, didn't offer anything in the way of comfort other than to hold the other man and let him get it all out of his system. Words wouldn't have been any good anyway. What can you say to someone who has just lost a valued friend? Zechs didn't think of horses as animals, he thought of them as friends and knew the grief of loss was something only time could heal. For now what was needed was reassurance, an ear to listen and a shoulder to grieve on and Zechs could at least offer that much.
 
Gradually the pain eased a little and Treize managed to get himself back under control. He sniffed a couple of times and then began to pull back, fully aware of the vet's strong arms leaving him and missing the warmth of their contact. He reached into his pocket and pulled out a handkerchief. Drying his eyes, Treize then blew his nose and reached for the glass of scotch as he tucked the handkerchief back into his pocket. He avoided looking at the vet for the moment, at least until he'd gotten himself back under control. Taking a deep breath and following it with another swallow of the alcohol, he felt in control enough to look the vet in the eye.
 
"I'm sorry about that," Treize said softly, noticing how blue the vet's eyes were.
 
"No need to apologize, I quite understand," replied Zechs, his eyes warm with compassion.
 
"You'd think that with all the animals I have out there in the stables I wouldn't get so upset over just one."
 
"You could have a hundred animals out there and it would still hurt just as much."
 
Treize's eyes widened.
 
Hoping he wasn't overstepping the line, Zechs placed his hand on Treize's arm. "That's the one thing about being human, the heart is big enough to love one or many with equal passion."
 
"You're a wise person, Doctor Merquise."
 
"Call me Zechs."
 
Treize nodded and drained his glass. "Thank you for understanding, for all you did."
 
"I'm sorry I couldn't have done more."
 
"I don't think anyone could have done anything for him."
 
"Given his injuries you did the right thing." Zechs squeezed the muscular arm and then removed his hand.
 
"Shit! Heero." With the loss of Taurus and ensuing grief, Treize had momentarily forgotten about Heero.
 
"Which hospital were they taking him to?"
 
"Salsbury Memorial. I need to ring them and see what's happening." Treize stood up and began to fish around in his pocket for his cell phone. Locating it, he pulled it out and was about to call the hospital when it rang. "Treize Kushrenada," he said.
 
***
 
Duo found the cafeteria on the fourth floor and got himself a cup of coffee. It was strong, too strong, reminding Duo of liquid tar but he sipped at it anyway. He needed something to help keep him focused and he was sure the amount of caffeine in the cup would certainly do that. Duo found a vacant table to the side and sat down, taking his cell phone out to make the necessary calls. He called the practice first.
 
"Maxwell Veterinary practice, how can I help you?"
 
"Catherine, it's Duo."
 
"Duo! How's Heero? Is he going to be okay? What injuries does he have?"
 
"Whoa, slow down, Catherine." Duo couldn't help a small chuckle. "I've spoken with the doc who is treating Heero. I'm not completely sure of his injuries as yet as they are doing tests. At this stage I can confirm that he has a broken arm, dislocated collar bone and probably concussion. They're doing a cat scan as well to be safe as he took a hefty knock to the head and he's only come around once since the fall."
 
"Shit. Oh, Duo, I'm so sorry."
 
"Yeah, well..." Duo paused for a moment as his throat began to close up on him.
 
"Don't you worry about anything here. Hilde is going to cover all the consults and surgery, and I'm fine to keep the kennels clean and look after any of the patients we have. Trowa and Quatre are going to come over and do the horses, so they will be fine."
 
"Thanks, Catherine."
 
"You're welcome, Duo. We all care very much about Heero, and you too. You stay with him and when he comes around, please, let him know we're all thinking about him and give him our love for a speedy recovery."
 
"I will."
 
"I'll let the others know you called."
 
"Thanks. I'll call again once I have more news."
 
"Okay, Duo. Take care."
 
"Bye, Catherine."
 
"Bye."
 
Duo disconnected the call and ran a tired hand through his bangs. A warmth spread through him as he realized what good friends he had. Taking another sip of the coffee and trying not to grimace he called Treize.
 
"Treize Kushrenada."
 
"Treize, it's Duo."
 
"Duo! I was just about to call the hospital. What's the word on Heero? Is he okay? Has he come around yet? What are his injuries?"
 
"The doc's taking x-rays and scans now. He has a dislocated collar bone, fractured arm, concussion and I don't know what else until the results are in from the tests."
 
"Fuck! Duo, I'm so sorry..."
 
Duo interrupted the man before he could get any further. "Treize, it's not your fault. Heero knows the risks involved when riding, you know the risks involved. It's just one of those things, an accident."
 
"It's an accident that could have been averted."
 
"Yeah, well," Duo's voice became a low growl.
 
"I should have had more sense than to allow Relena to have come to the paddock to watch."
 
"Treize, it's done and over. No amount of if onlys or I should haves is going to change anything. What's done is done and we have to deal with it. I'm just giving you fair warning now though that once I catch up with that pink bitch I will be letting her have it. For her sake I hope she stays out of my sight for a while, at least until my urge for blood is gone."
 
Treize shuddered. He could only imagine the tongue lashing Relena would get from Duo.
 
"What happened with Taurus?" Duo's voice had taken on a soft tone.
 
"He, I, there wasn't anything we could do for him, Duo. Doctor Merquise had to put him down."
 
"Oh, Treize. I'm so sorry." The concern and pain was genuine in Duo's voice. It didn't come as a great shock though. Duo had had the chance to see the horse's injuries before heading to the hospital and he'd doubted very much if there would be anything anyone could do to save Taurus.
 
"So am I," Treize replied softly. "Heero had him working really well. I'm gonna miss that chestnut maniac."
 
"So will Heero. He's going to be very upset when he finds out." Duo knew Heero would most likely blame himself for the horse's demise when in truth it wasn't his fault.
 
"How are you holding up, Duo?"
 
"Ah, you know. Dealing with it."
 
Treize wasn't stupid, he could hear the strain coming through Duo's voice even though the vet was doing his best to mask it. "I'm coming to the hospital, Duo."
 
"Treize, you don't have to."
 
"I know I don't have to, I want to. You need some moral support too and I feel responsible, he is in my employ and it was one of my horses that caused this." Treize didn't add that it was really Relena's fault, they both already knew that.
 
"I'd like to come too, if I may," said Zechs from where he was still sitting on the couch.
 
"Doctor Merquise is still here too and would like to come. Would that be okay with you, Duo?"
 
"Thanks. That would be fine." Duo wouldn't admit to it but the company would be welcomed. He was starting to get a bit unnerved being by himself. The uncertainty of Heero's injuries was playing on his mind.
 
"I'll get cleaned up and be there as soon as I can."
 
"I'll be in the emergency department."
 
"Right. See you soon then."
 
"Will do. Bye." Duo disconnected and picked up his coffee. Might as well take it back to the emergency section to finish it off, at least then if it glued his insides together he was in the right place for treatment.
 
* * *
 
Trowa had informed Quatre of the situation with Heero and Duo and the blonde had immediately offered to help all he could, as Trowa knew he would. They had arrived at the practice and gotten the latest information from Catherine. With Heero's injuries yet to be completely confirmed, there was still an air of uncertainty over the place.
 
Heading for the stable block the pair set about settling the horses. Trowa checked the stables, noting that Heero had cleaned them out that morning. Turning the water buckets up the right way, Trowa began to fill them so that Quatre could then carry them into the stables. With the waters done, the pair went into the feed shed and spotted the three buckets standing in a row. The horse's names were written on each bucket.
 
"That certainly makes it a whole lot easier," remarked Quatre as he picked up the bucket with the name Zero on it.
 
"It does," replied Trowa. "I wonder what exactly Heero feeds them and how much." They walked towards the stables and placed the feeds inside.
 
"Better ask Duo if he knows, it's important not to mess around with a horse's feed stuff," said Trowa as they walked out towards the paddocks and the horses waiting at the gates to be brought in.
 
"Which one do you want to bring in?" asked Quatre as he observed the three faces all hanging over their respective paddock gates.
 
"I'll take Shini if you like. He can be a bit of a handful," replied Trowa knowing from earlier experience just how pushy the colt could get when he wanted to.
 
"Okay. I'll bring in Scythe then."
 
They snapped the lead ropes to the horse's halters and proceeded to bring them in. Scythe walked calmly beside Quatre but Trowa had his hands full with the colt. Every chance Shini got he would try to nip at Trowa. He wasn't a nasty natured animal, just young and playful. He could sense that Trowa wasn't as experienced as his usual master and decided to try and see how much he could get away with.
 
"Cut it out!" growled Trowa as his arm suffered yet another nip.
 
Quatre snickered. "If I remember correctly, Heero told you to be more forceful with him."
 
Trowa huffed and continued to walk. Shini saw another chance and managed to get a nip on Trowa's forearm, darting his head back quickly.
 
"Ow!" Trowa rubbed his arm and glared at the colt. "Don't push it too far," he scolded.
 
Shini looked back with liquid eyes. As soon as Trowa's attention was off him, he planted another nip, this time to Trowa's biceps.
 
Quatre was doing his best not to laugh out loud. It really was quite amusing to watch. He knew Trowa was soft hearted when it came to animals, but as Heero had said, horses were a large and potentially dangerous animal, they needed firm handling. "Smack him, Trowa. He's only going to keep on doing it if you don't."
 
"I prefer not to resort to violence," replied Trowa. He didn't like the thought of giving the colt a smack, he didn't believe in hitting anything if he could avoid it. He was used to dealing with animals that were neglected or mistreated and therefore required gentle handling. It hadn't registered in his brain yet that Shini wasn't any of those things.
 
They entered the stable block and Quatre put Scythe into her stable before grabbing her rug and putting it on. Across from him, Trowa had put Shini in his stable and was fetching the colt's rug. Quatre finished and walked over to watch the fun.
 
Shini had his head buried in his feed bin, Trowa heaved the rug over the colt's back and went to do up the chest strap. Shini went to have another nip, getting Trowa on the hip.
 
"For the love of all things equine, cut it out!" snapped Trowa.
 
Shini went back to eating his dinner.
 
"You're not going to keep on letting him get away with that, are you?" Quatre asked.
 
Trowa moved to the colt's flanks and bent to retrieve the leg strap. "I don't think..."
 
Trowa's words were cut off as Shini seized the opportunity and swung his head around to take a good nip at Trowa's backside.
 
"OW! Fucking hell!" yelped Trowa as he shot up, rubbing his bitten rear end. "You rotten swine of an animal!" he yelled and gave the colt a good hard smack to the neck. "Bite me, would you?! Do it again and I'll bite you back!" Trowa gave the colt another solid smack.
 
Quatre dissolved into fits of laughter.
 
Shini backed away and hung his head. When the human stopped yelling and smacking him, he pushed his muzzle forward by way of apology.
 
Trowa rubbed his abused backside. "No, you don't. I'm not forgiving you that easy," huffed Trowa
 
Shini took a step forward and pushed his muzzle against Trowa's arm, nudging gently.
 
"Oh, all right. You're forgiven," sighed Trowa and petted the colt.
 
Shini went back to eating his dinner, keeping one eye on the human just in case the opportunity for another nip should present itself. Humans really were easy creatures to control.
 
Having finished with Shini, Trowa stepped out, still rubbing his backside.
 
"You okay?" asked Quatre having finally gotten over his laughing.
 
"I'll live. I'd better go get Zero."
 
"I'll kiss it better for you later," whispered the blonde and caressed his lover's rear.
 
"Promise?"
 
"I promise."
 
* * *
 
The blackness began to recede again and Heero found it a little easier this time to fight his way through the fog that seemed to cloud his mind. The smell of antiseptic tickled his nostrils, the sounds of machines and people talking broached his ears. Forcing his eyes to open, Heero blinked as they adjusted to the bright lights of the room he was in. Confused, he tried to remember what was going on, what had happened and where was he?
 
"Doctor, he's coming around."
 
"Mr Yuy? Can you hear me?"
 
Heero groaned as a dull ache made itself known in his skull. "Where am I?" he ground out. His throat was dry, tongue felt swollen and too big for his mouth.
 
"You're in the emergency section of Salsbury Memorial Hospital. I'm Doctor Standish," said the doctor as he quickly noted Heero's vitals.
 
"What happened?"
 
"You took a fall from a horse and knocked yourself out. Do you remember anything at all?"
 
Heero searched his memory - and came up blank. "No. I was riding, doing some jumps..." Heero frowned as he came up against a brick wall. "I don't remember anything after that. How bad?"
 
"You have concussion, Mr Yuy. You also have a dislocated collar bone and a fracture of the right humerus. The x-rays show the bone has been splintered and it will require surgery to pin and plate it back into position to heal correctly. The ultrasound of your abdomen was clear so there are no internal injuries. We also did a cat scan of your head as you took quite a blow to it. There's a large bruise on your temple and I want to rule out any damage to the brain or surrounding tissue. The results should be through in a few minutes."
 
"Ah."
 
"I've given you a shot of pethidine for the pain and that will probably be making you feel a little groggy."
 
"Water?"
 
"I'm sorry, Mr Yuy. I can't give you anything to drink. Once I have the cat scan results I want to get you up to the OR and have your arm sorted out. Nothing to drink or eat because of the anesthetic."
 
"Okay," Heero croaked out.
 
"Doctor?" the nurse interrupted. "The cat scan results are back."
 
"Good." Doctor Standish moved to the side of the trauma room to take a look. He frowned as he studied the pictures and then read the corresponding report. Taking a deep breath he went back to his patient, putting a smile on his face before speaking.
 
Heero could see there was something bothering the doctor, the smile didn't reach his eyes. "What is it?"
 
"The blow to the head you sustained in the fall." Standish searched for the right words. "The cat scan has shown that there is some minor bleeding and bruising of your brain. I'm not a neural expert, but from the scan and the report it would appear it's not going to be a major issue. Rest should be all it needs, that and being careful not to hit your head for the next few days. Swelling is what we need to keep an eye out for. I will do a scan each day for the next few days, precautionary measures, you see."
 
"Aa." Heero wasn't too sure how to take that news. His head ached despite the painkiller and he wasn't feeling completely coherent at this time.
 
The OR will be ready for you in about twenty minutes. Your house mate is here. If you would like to see him I can fetch him in for you."
 
"Duo?"
 
"Yes. Doctor Maxwell got here a little while ago and is pretty anxious to see you," said Sister Clarke. "There's also a woman in the waiting room, she came in the ambulance with you."
 
"Relena?"
 
"Yes, I believe so. I can go and get her as well if you like?"
 
"NO!" Heero groaned as pain lanced through his head.
 
"Take it easy, Mr Yuy! Remember your head injury," chastised the doctor. "I take it you don't want to see this woman?"
 
"No. Please, keep her away from me."
 
"The ambulance officer said she claimed to be your fiancée," said the doctor.
 
"My brain isn't that damaged, doc. No, she's not my fiancée, I don't even like the woman all that much." Heero grimaced.
 
"Then if it is your wish not to speak with her then we won't give out any information or allow her to see you. I'll go get Doctor Maxwell now." The sister left the room.
 
Heero groaned and closed his eyes. He only wanted Duo.
 
* * *
 
Relena hobbled over to the nurses' station and cleared her throat. A young nurse looked up at her.
 
"Can I help you?"
 
"Yes. I came in via ambulance with my fiancé who took a fall from a horse. I've been waiting in the waiting room for ages and no one has come to tell me how he is or what's happening with him."
 
"Name?"
 
"Heero Yuy."
 
"One moment, please." The nurse tapped away at the computer keyboard. She frowned slightly when she saw the information come up on the screen. "What was your name, ma'am?"
 
"Relena Peacecraft."
 
"I'm afraid I can't give you any information at the moment."
 
"And why not?" Relena growled.
 
"You're not immediate family, nor next of kin."
 
"But I'm his fiancée!""According to the file he doesn't have a fiancée. He's single. I can only give out information on his condition to immediate family or next of kin," repeated the nurse.
 
"Who the hell is his next of kin then?" Relena figured if she could get that information she could contact the person and have them put straight about her relationship with Heero and be able to find out what was going on.
 
"His next of kin is a Doctor Duo Maxwell."
 
"You're joking."
 
"No. It says quite clearly here and on the legal papers sent through from Mr Yuy's solicitor."
 
Relena turned away, her face was red and she was fuming. Tucking her crutches back under her arms she hobbled back into the waiting room to figure out what to do next. She wasn't going to let that two bit vet stand between her and finding out what Heero's condition was.
 
As Relena disappeared back into the waiting room, the elevator doors opened and Duo stepped out. Quickly he walked over to the nurses' station.
 
"I'm Doctor Duo Maxwell, Heero Yuy's next of kin. Can you tell me if he's back from having tests done yet?"
 
The nurse looked up and smiled at the handsome man before her. She could see the worry etched into his face, the way his hands shook a little. "I'll just check for you."
 
Sister Clarke walked back in just as the nurse was about to get up. "Ah, Doctor Maxwell."
 
"Call me, Duo."
 
"Sorry. Duo. Mr Yuy is back from his tests and has woken up again. He's conscious now and asking for you. If you would come with me I'll take you through to him. Doctor Standish has the test results and would like to speak to you about those results."
 
"Thank you, sister." With a worried look on his face, Duo followed the sister along the corridor and into the room marked Trauma 2.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...