Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 23 ( Chapter 23 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 23
 
Dalton drove quickly towards the hospital, glancing from time to time into the rear view mirror and checking his partner was okay. Simons had set up a drip into the young man's arm and checked the flow rate. He applied a cool compress to the bruise that was darkening on Heero's temple and checked the vitals again. He'd placed a temporary 'blow up' splint on the man's arm, immobilizing the injured limb and preventing further damage.
 
Dalton picked up the two way radio. "Mobile unit forty-two to base."
 
"Base here, go ahead, mobile forty-two."
 
"Have picked up patient and are en route to Salsbury Memorial. Patient stable, but unconscious."
 
"Got that, mobile forty-two. Have you contacted Salsbury Memorial yet?"
 
"Am going to do that next, base."
 
"Roger that."
 
"Will call in again once we're clear to leave Salsbury."
 
"Thank you, mobile forty-two. Base out."
 
"Mobile forty-two out." Dalton pressed another button on the two way unit. "Salsbury Memorial, this is mobile ambulance unit forty-two. Do you copy?"
 
"Go ahead, mobile forty-two, this is Salsbury Memorial receiving you loud and clear."
 
"I'm en route with a patient. Fall from a horse."
 
"Roger that. Name and details of injuries?"
 
"Heero Yuy. Was knocked out when he fell and is still unconscious. Bruising to the right temple, suspected concussion, fracture to the right humerus and dislocated collar bone. Possibly internal damage, but will need an ultrasound to determine. I don't think there is any damage to the neck or spine, but he's in a neck brace to be sure."
 
"Thanks, mobile forty-two. We have a surgical consult on standby. Will meet you in the emergency drop off bay. ETA?"
 
"Ten minutes."
 
"Roger that."
 
"Mobile forty-two out."
 
"Salsbury Memorial out."
 
Dalton hung up the small hand piece and reached behind to slide the small partition across. "How's he doing?"
 
"No change," replied Simons. "How long?"
 
"Just under ten minutes. I've called it in and they will have a crew waiting for us."
 
"Okay." Simons turned back to his patient, lifting Heero's eyelids again and flashing the small light in them. There wasn't any reaction and that worried Simons.
 
Relena had sat quietly holding Heero's left hand until the ambulance officer had placed the drip in it. Now she sat with her hand resting lightly on Heero's shoulder.
 
"Ma'am, I need to get some details," Simons said quietly.
 
Relena looked up and gave a smile. "Certainly."
 
"I have his name as Heero Yuy. Correct?"
 
"Yes."
 
"What's his date of birth?"
 
"Ummm."
 
"Address?"
 
"Ah."
 
Simons frowned. "I thought you said you were his fiancée?"
 
"Well, not exactly."
 
"Excuse me?"
 
"He hasn't asked me yet, but he will soon."
 
"Are you his next of kin?"
 
"Errr..."
 
"I see." Simons put down the clipboard, trying not to show his annoyance. A soft grunt alerted him to his patient and Simons immediately transferred his attention.
 
* * *
 
Soft noises and a rocking motion began to penetrate Heero's black world. Slowly he clawed his way through the thick fog, senses starting to come back on line as he drew closer to consciousness. Images flashed behind closed eyelids, shouting, wind rushing past the feel of an animal beneath him and then...
 
Pain.
 
Heero grunted as the pain flooded his system.
 
"Easy there, Mr Yuy."
 
Heero didn't recognize the voice. Sluggish eyes began to open and Heero blinked as his vision blurred and then began to clear.
 
"Can you hear me, Mr Yuy?"
 
"Heero," he managed to force past a dry throat.
 
"Heero. Can you remember what happened?"
 
Heero began to shake his head. Pain exploded inside his skull and he let out a soft cry.
 
"Just lie still, Heero. I'm Ambulance Officer Simons. You've taken a fall from a horse, a pretty nasty one too. You're in the ambulance and on the way to Salsbury Memorial Hospital for assessment and treatment."
 
"Aa." Heero closed his eyes for a moment trying to remember, but came up blank.
 
"Your partner is here," Simons said.
 
"Duo?"
 
Relena scowled. "Heero, honey. It's me, Relena. Don't you remember me?"
 
"Relena?" Heero croaked out.
 
"Yes, sweetie. It's me. You remember me, don't you? Relena? You were going to ask me to marry you?"
 
Heero knew that a large chunk of his memory was missing, but not enough for him to know he wasn't in love with Relena, he was in love with Duo. “You're not my partner. Where's Duo? I want Duo!" Heero began to get agitated and tried to move. Pain lanced through his head and arm causing Heero to scream.
 
"Lie still!" Simons commanded. "You have a broken arm and moving around will only add to the injury and your pain. I can't give you anything until the hospital has checked you out as we don't know if you have any internal injuries."
 
Heero quieted and the pain faded to a throbbing ache. "Duo?" he breathed as his vision began to swim and blackness claimed him once more.
 
"Who is this Duo?" Simons asked, noting that Heero had passed out again and began to check his vitals.
 
Relena shrugged. "He's a two bit country vet that Heero shares a house with. I doubt he will even show up."
 
Doing his best to maintain his composure, Simons spoke again. "Do you happen to know the full name of the vet?"
 
"Maxwell, Duo Maxwell, I think. Why?"
 
"We need to contact him."
 
"What for? He can't help you, he's probably too busy playing around with the dogs and cats."
 
"He needs to be notified about his house mate's situation. He can probably give us the rest of the information we need as well."
 
"I still don't see why he needs to be involved," Relena muttered under her breath.
 
Simons glanced sideways at the woman. It was clear to him there was more going on here than he really cared to know, but for the safety and well being of his patient, not to mention protocol, Simons had to cover all bases and if this guy was sharing a house with a vet then the chances are the vet would be able to give them all the required information. Simons pulled his notebook from his pocket and wrote the name down. He'd give it to the hospital staff once they arrived at emergency and then it was up to them to chase the vet up.
 
Dalton spotted the signs to the hospital up ahead. "Almost there," he called through the partition.
 
"Good," replied Simons.
 
* * *
 
Treize jumped as the dull crack of the humane killer resounded through the still air. He squeezed his eyes shut and bit down on his lip.
 
Otto bowed his head and then wiped his eyes. He looked up as a warm hand patted his shoulder. The soft, blue eyes of the blonde vet gazed back at him.
 
"Are you okay?" Zechs asked quietly.
 
Otto nodded and then turned to pick up Taurus' rug from where he'd put it on the ground so the vet could check the horse. Gently he opened the rug out and spread it over the chestnut body that lay still upon the earth. Straightening up he sniffed a couple of times then squared his shoulders. "I'd better see what the boss wants doing with the body."
 
Zechs returned to the car and locked the humane killer back in its box, securing it in the trunk of the car. He turned around and saw Otto speaking with Treize. He walked over to them. "I'm sorry," was all he said.
 
Treize looked up into genuine sapphire eyes. "Thank you for coming so quickly."
 
"No problem. I just wish there was more I could have done."
 
"It's not your fault. You did everything you could for him."
 
"I know this isn't an easy time for you, but." Zechs took a breath. "The body needs to be disposed of and soon. Do you have any idea what you wish to do? I can suggest some things and give you contact numbers if you wish."
 
"He's not going for pet meat."
 
"Of course not. I was going to suggest a place that does burials or cremations," said Zechs softly.
 
"Sorry. I didn't mean to snap. I think I'll arrange to have him buried."
 
"If you need a contact number."
 
"Thanks, but I have equipment at the stables I can use." Treize turned and felt the lump rise to his throat again as he spotted the rug covering Taurus' body.
 
"If you have no objection, I'll run you back up to your house. You're in no condition to drive and I think you could do with a stiff drink."
 
Treize turned and smiled, noticing, not for the first time how handsome the tall vet was. "Thank you. That would be most appreciated. I'll just talk with Otto for a moment to arrange to have the backhoe come down and bury Taurus. I'd like him to be buried in the jumping paddock. I think he would have liked that."
 
Zechs could see that shock was beginning to settle into the other man. "Okay. You make your arrangements with Otto. I'll wait by the car." Zechs walked back over to his vehicle and pulled out his cell phone. He called the surgery and reported in, explaining what had happened and that he was going to stay with the owner for a little while to make sure he was okay.
 
Treize spoke with Otto and arranged for the groom to have the backhoe sent down. He pointed out where he would like Taurus' final resting place to be. With the arrangements made, Treize began to walk back towards Zechs' car, stopping for a moment where Taurus lay. Two tears tracked down his cheeks as he said a silent prayer for the animal. Hastily he scrubbed them away and then continued towards the vet and his car.
 
* * *
 
Duo pushed the car as fast as legally possible. A string of curses tumbled from his lips as he drove. He was angry, upset and scared. Heero was uppermost in his mind and yet he couldn't help feeling guilty about leaving Taurus. The animal had needed veterinary care and he hadn't given it. Yes, he'd injected a painkiller, but he should have done more. A niggling voice in the back of his head told him there wasn't anything else he could have done. Treize had called another vet, protocol and ethics dictated that he wasn't allowed to administer care to another vet's patient without that vet's specific permission. Although, under the circumstances he didn't think he would be getting a reprimand for giving the horse a painkiller.
 
The signs for the hospital came into view and Duo slowed a little to negotiate the smaller, more congested streets of the Salsbury township. He found the entrance to the hospital and drove up, noting where the car park was in relation to the emergency section. He cruised the car park looking for a vacant spot and cursing the fact that every man and his dog seemed to be at the hospital today. For a brief moment he contemplated parking in the 'Doctors Only' section. Technically speaking he was a doctor, a doctor of animals though, not humans.
 
He spied a vacant spot and shot into it. Slamming the car into 'park', Duo shut off the engine and jumped out. Locking the car he sprinted for the emergency section. As he was jogging towards the doors, his cell phone rang. Cursing, Duo grabbed it from his pocket and flipped it open. "Doctor Maxwell," he answered, slightly out of breath.
 
***
 
Dalton brought the ambulance to a smooth stop in the ambulance bay outside the emergency section of the hospital. Cutting the motor, he climbed out and headed for the back of the vehicle. A doctor and two nurses came out to meet him.
 
"I'm Doctor Standish," said the doctor. "This the horse accident?"
 
"Yeah." Dalton opened the double doors and grabbed the end of the gurney. Inside, Simons assisted, pushing the gurney back as Dalton pulled. The collapsible legs folded out and Simons stepped out to join his partner.
 
Simons handed his chart to the doctor. "Heero Yuy, male, approximately twenty five to thirty years old. Took a fall from a horse. Broken right humerus, dislocated right collar bone, concussion. Possible internal injuries although blood pressure doesn't indicate such. All vitals are on the sheet, checked every ten minutes. Was knocked out when he fell, has returned to consciousness once and is now unconscious again. Was reasonably coherent although disorientated."
 
The doctor took the chart and scanned over it. "There isn't much information on here," he said calmly and pointedly looked at the officer. He turned his head though as Relena began to step out of the ambulance. Dalton gave her a hand. "Who is that?" the doctor asked.
 
Motioning for the doctor to move to the side, Simons filled him in. "She was at the scene of the accident. Claimed to be his fiancée, but I have my doubts."
 
"Oh?"
 
"Yes, she doesn't know anything about the patient other than his name and that he shares a house with a vet called..." Simons grabbed his notebook from his pocket and flipped it open. "A Doctor Duo Maxwell."
 
"Strange," said the doctor.
 
"That's what I thought. When the patient came around I told him his partner was with us and he started calling for this Duo person. There's something not right with that woman, doc. I don't have a number for this vet, but I'd be trying to find it if I were you and give this vet a call. I think he would be able to give you the information you need."
 
"Thank you." Doctor Standish turned back to the gurney and his patient. "Let's get him inside to trauma two," he barked.
 
Dalton began to push the gurney, one of the nurses assisting him while the other led Relena through to the waiting room.
 
Doctor Standish headed for the emergency nurses' station, spying the head duty nursing sister he quickly approached her. "Sister Clarke, I have a patient just brought in via ambulance..." Doctor Standish quickly explained the lack of information to the sister and the name of the vet Simons had given him.
 
"A Doctor Duo Maxwell, you said?"
 
"That's correct, sister."
 
"I've taken a call just a couple of minutes ago from the patient's boss, the one that called the ambulance. He said something about a Doctor Maxwell being this patient's next of kin and that no tests or anything else were to be done until he got here. Apparently he's on his way in," Sister Clarke stated. "I do have a contact number for him if you would like me to give him a call?"
 
"Please do. I'll go and start checking the patient over. Find out how long this Maxwell is going to be and get any information on the patient that you can."
 
"Will do, Doctor Standish." The nursing sister went to the desk and picked up the piece of paper with the details before picking up the 'phone and dialing the cell number.
 
"Doctor Maxwell."
 
"Ah, Doctor Maxwell, this is Sister Clarke from the Salsbury Memorial Hospital Emergency department. I'm not sure if you are aware or not but your house mate a - " Sister Clarke looked quickly at the admittance board. " - A Mr Heero Yuy has been brought in suffering injuries sustained when falling from a horse."
 
"Yes, sister. I know all about the fall. I'm on my way in."
 
"I believe you are Mr Yuy's next of kin?"
 
"Yes, yes, I am. I've also got power of attorney so don't you dare let that pink bitch have any say in Heero's treatment. In fact, unless you want a second casualty on your hands I suggest you might want to keep that pink cow right away from me."
 
"Pink... I beg your pardon?"
 
"Errr… Sorry."
 
"Doctor Maxwell, how long before you can get here?"
 
"I'm here now, just walking through your front doors," Duo replied as he stepped inside the hospital emergency section.
 
Sister Clarke looked up and spotted a slender man with a long braid of hair walking through the sliding doors. "You have a braid of hair?"
 
"Yup."
 
"Stay right where you are, Doctor Maxwell, I'm coming over to you." Sister Clarke hung up the phone and slipped out from behind the desk. She walked quickly across the floor to where Duo stood gazing around. She noted his eyes settle upon her and he began to walk towards her. "Doctor Maxwell?"
 
"Yeah. You Sister Clarke?"
 
"Yes, yes, I am. Mr Yuy was brought in a couple of minutes ago. Doctor Standish is with him now assessing the injuries. If you could come with me for a moment there's some information I need. You said you were his next of kin?"
 
"Yes, I am. The official paperwork is lodged at the solicitors firm Gordon and Klink. I can have them fax it over if you need me to."
 
"That might be an idea," said the nurse. "Not that I don't believe you, I do, but, well, it's for the paperwork. We have to keep everything legal and such so having a copy of the document would be good."
 
"I quite understand. I'll give them a call in a moment and have them sent."
 
"Thank you. Just go in there, Doctor Maxwell. I'll let Doctor Standish know you're here and I'll be right back with the paperwork."
 
Duo stepped inside the small room the nurse had led him to and took a seat. He pulled his cell phone out and placed the call to his solicitors, requesting the papers be faxed through that confirmed his status as Heero's next of kin. Having finished the call, he placed his cell back in his pocket as the nurse came back in.
 
"I know you must be anxious to see your house mate, Doctor Maxwell..."
 
"Duo, please call me Duo. It feels kinda funny you calling me Doctor when I'm in a hospital and all." Duo gave a lopsided grin.
 
The nurse laughed. "I see what you mean, although you are a doctor, aren't you?"
 
"Yeah. I'm a vet. Don't think it would go down too well in here though if someone overheard me being called doctor and then expected me to treat a patient. My patients have fur, feathers or fins and don't talk," Duo chuckled despite his anxiety.
 
"Point noted, Doc - Duo."
 
The paperwork didn't take long, Duo answering the nurse's questions as best he could. They were pretty straight forward, date of birth, address, employer, any known allergies and so on. Sister Clarke wrote everything down in her neat handwriting.
 
"That's it," she said smiling. "Thank you for your patience and cooperation. Now, I suspect you're wanting to know what's going on with your friend?"
 
Duo nodded. He was fiddling with the end of his braid, something he was apt to do when worried.
 
"I'll go and check with Doctor Standish and give him this information. Oh, Duo?"
 
"Yeah?"
 
"You said something about a pink person before?"
 
Duo gave a sheepish grin. "Sorry about that, I gotta learn to watch my mouth."
 
"A woman came in with Mr Yuy, I'm assuming that's who you were referring to?"
 
Feeling the anger flaring again, Duo looked up at the nurse. "That cow had better not be anywhere near Heero or given permission for any procedures concerning him," he growled.
 
The nurse looked at Duo for a moment. "Obviously there is something going on here. Would you care to explain a little for me, please? I don't need full details but an outline would be good. Then at least I know what I'm dealing with. The woman concerned is sitting in the waiting room though and hasn't been consulted regarding Mr Yuy in any way."
 
Running a hand through his bangs, Duo decided to give the nurse just enough information on the situation regarding Relena. He thought he'd better, not just for Heero's sake but for his own and Relena's. Knowing his temper the way he did, Relena wouldn't last five minutes with Duo given the mood he was in. Better to let the hospital staff know to keep the woman right away from him or there would be more blood spilt.
 
Sister Clarke shook her head. "I see what you mean, Duo. Although you do realize that we cannot stop her from visiting the patient unless the patient specifically requests she not be allowed in."
 
"I understand what you're saying, sister. Trust me though, once Heero regains consciousness he'll tell you he doesn't want her near him." Duo had only given the sister a brief outline of Relena and her obsession towards Heero. He didn't say anything about their own relationship, at this stage the hospital didn't need to know. Duo preferred to keep it that way. Only if it became necessary would he tell them. Meanwhile, he'd stressed yet again the importance of keeping Relena away from him, at least until he'd had time to curb his temper a bit.
 
"Right. If you would care to wait here for a couple of minutes I'll go and see what is happening regarding Mr Yuy." Sister Clarke smiled and got up, leaving Duo along with his thoughts.
 
* * *
 
The ambulance officers brought the gurney to a stop beside the bed in trauma two. Doctor Standish reached over and grasped the edge of the sheet underneath the patient.
 
"On my count of three," he said to the ambulance officers and nurses that had also grabbed the edge of the sheet.
 
"One, two, three." Heero was transported from the gurney to the bed and the ambulance officers were able to leave.
 
"Good luck, doc," said Dalton as he pushed the gurney from the room.
 
"Thanks, guys," replied the doctor and began to examine his patient.
 
Sister Clarke entered the room and informed him that the mysterious Doctor Duo Maxwell had been contacted and was now at the hospital. Standish gave a sigh of relief. "That's good news. I'll leave you to get the information on the patient, once you're done please bring me that information and then I'll know what's the best course of action to take."
 
"Will do, doctor," replied Sister Clarke and had then left.
 
Doctor Standish resumed his examination of the patient. Carefully, he went over Heero's still unconscious form. He checked Heero's pupils, felt around his neck and jaw then moved lower to the chest. His brow furrowed as he continued the examination. Definite displacement of the clavicle, he noted. Humerus fracture, although how bad, he couldn't tell until x-rays had been taken. Gently he began to manipulate Heero's abdomen, feeling through experienced fingers for any sign that something was not as it should be. He felt fairly confident that there wasn't any internal damage, but he would need an ultrasound to confirm his diagnosis.
 
The bruise on the young man's head concerned him a bit, that combined with the length of time the man had been out for had him a little worried. The ambulance men had said that Yuy had regained consciousness for a few minutes in the ambulance and that was a good sign. Now if only he would surface again. Turning to the nurses in the room he gave his orders for the drip to be monitored. Sister Clarke returned with the paperwork and he quickly scanned it. Noting any past medical history he felt confident in ordering pethidine as a painkiller to be administered intravenously. With his patient under the watchful eyes of the trauma room nurses, Doctor Standish left for a moment to go and speak with the young man's house mate.
 
"Where is this Maxwell person?" he asked the sister.
 
"He's in the matron's office."
 
"Right. I'll go talk to him now and then maybe we can start to get something done for this guy." Standish walked swiftly to the matron's office and entered. He paused as he took in the sight of the man before him. Slender figure, long braid of hair, unusual violet colored eyes and an expression of concern and worry. Standish immediately warmed to the man.
 
"Doctor Duo Maxwell?"
 
Duo nodded and stood up, taking the offered hand and shaking it firmly.
 
"I'm Doctor Standish, I'm the consulting physician on your house mate, Mr Yuy."
 
"How is Heero?"
 
"Take a seat, Doctor Maxwell, and I'll give you the complete run down of Mr Yuy's condition."
 
Duo did as requested, sitting back down in the chair and watching the doctor, trying to read the other man's body language as the doctor took a seat on the other side of the matron's desk. He fixed his gaze anxiously on the doctor's face, waiting for the worst.
 
“Mr Yuy has a fracture of the right humerus, how bad we do not know until we take x-rays. His right clavicle is also dislocated. There doesn't appear to be any internal injury and his legs are fine, that I can confirm after giving him an ultrasound. He has bruising to the right temple and suspected concussion. I'm a little concerned that he's only regained consciousness for a few minutes in the ambulance on the way here and I'd like to take a cat scan of his skull to eliminate any injury to the brain."
 
"Shit," muttered Duo to himself.
 
"Doctor Maxwell, I'd like to get these tests and scans done as soon as possible, the sooner we can get the results the sooner we can help Mr Yuy. As Mr Yuy is still unconscious I need your permission on his behalf to carry out these tests."
 
"Please, doc. You do whatever it is you have to do to help Heero."
 
"Thank you. I'll arrange for the tests immediately."
 
Duo looked up at the doctor. "He's going to be okay, isn't he?" Duo couldn't help the slight quaver to his voice as he asked.
 
"I wish I could say for certain that he will, but until I have the results of all the tests there is no way I can promise you that."
 
"I understand." Duo did. How many times had he been asked the same question when treating a client's pet?
 
"Why don't you pop down to the cafeteria and get a cup of coffee or something? These tests are going to take a little while to do."
 
"Thanks. I just might do that," replied Duo.
 
"Sister Clarke will point you in the right direction. When you come back up just stop at the nurses' station and they will direct you to the waiting room."
 
"Okay."
 
Doctor Standish left and returned to his patient, wanting to have the tests done as soon as possible. Duo went back to the nurses' station where Sister Clarke explained where the hospital cafeteria was. Duo walked over to the elevator and pushed the button. He'd get a coffee and call the surgery to let Catherine know what the situation was. He'd also call Treize and fill him in, as well as find out what had happened with Taurus.
 
The elevator doors slid open and Duo stepped in. He pushed the button for the fourth floor and the doors closed.
 
Tired of waiting in the waiting room, Relena drew her crutches under her arms and hobbled out to the nurses' station. The sound of elevator doors closing reached her ears but she paid no attention, her eyes were fixed on the nurse behind the desk and getting information on what was happening with her Heero.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...