Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 26 ( Chapter 26 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Time, Fault and Out
 
November 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 26
 
"You bastard!"
 
Duo spun around as he heard the low hiss of words. His eyes widened and then narrowed when he saw Relena standing there.
 
Relena had watched Heero being taken from the trauma room, seen the sister depart and then stepped out of the bathroom and into the hall. As she began to hobble along so the door to the trauma room opened again and the long haired vet stepped out. All Relena's fury welled at once and she couldn't help herself. Before her was the one thing that stood between her and her Heero. Quickly she hobbled forward, intent on letting this creature know exactly what she thought of him.
 
"You bastard," she hissed. When he turned around to face her, she raised her hand and slapped him hard across the cheek.
 
Duo flinched as the sting of the slap registered, automatically his own hand came up to retaliate and he only just managed to stop himself from punching the woman in the jaw. Instead, he swore at her. "You bitch!"
 
"How dare you! How dare you corrupt my Heero with your fairy ways. You're nothing but a low down pansy; a faggot. I should have known it was you that was keeping him away from me, denying him the chance to have a proper relationship with the woman he loves. You're nothing but a perverted, stinking dog!" Relena raised her hand to slap Duo again.
 
Duo was a little quicker off the mark and caught the woman's wrist before she had a chance to connect with his face again. His hand tightened around delicate bones as he pushed her away from him. His anger boiled over and Duo saw red. The fear, the rage, hatred and pain all welled up inside him and like a volcano, he erupted.
 
"You fucking piece of shit! What gives you the right to judge me? You don't even know me, you pink piece of crap. I've come across some delusional people in my time, lady, but you, you take the cake."
 
"You have no right to speak to me like that, you queer! I'm not the one that has a problem here, it's you. How could you?! Forcing yourself on my fiancé, pushing your evil, filthy ways on to him? You're disgusting!"
 
"I'm disgusting?! You want to take a fucking good hard look at yourself, Miss prim and proper. And as for Heero being your fiancé, don't make me puke! Heero doesn't love you, he won't ever love you, he doesn't even like you and if you were to get your starry eyed head out of your fucking ass for long enough, maybe you would see that." Duo didn't care anymore. Woman or not, this pink menace had finally pushed him over the edge and all the pent up rage burst forth.
 
"You are nothing more than a gutter rat. Putting your dirty, fairy hands all over Heero. It isn't natural, two men do not belong together, it's sick and twisted. And you're the lowest of the low, you pervert. You should be locked up!" Relena went to pound a fist against Duo's chest but was brought up short by a stinging slap to her own cheek.
 
"You cow!" Duo couldn't control himself any more. The woman's words tore into his very soul and before he knew it, he'd slapped her good and hard to the cheek. "Don't you dare stand there and condemn me. There is nothing wrong with loving someone, same sex or not and that's where you let yourself down, you bitch. I love Heero and he loves me. I love him for who he is, not what he is. Our love is not sick or twisted, it's genuine and pure."
 
"You'll pay for that, you pansy assed freak. You're not a man, you're just a sorry excuse for a human being. For a start no proper man wears his hair that long. Heero would never love you, he's not gay, he's just confused by you and the way you're trying to get into his pants. You're lower than the worms."
 
Duo couldn't help it, he laughed. Turning his purple eyes towards the woman that had tormented him for weeks now, his eyes glittered and his face twisted into a sneer. "Let me tell you something, Miss know it all. Heero was the one that wanted to get into my pants. I was the one that baulked, kept putting him off. You're deluded, Heero's as gay as the pope is catholic, and you know what? I don't give a flying fuck what you think. Heero knows what he wants, he holds no illusions about life and society. He wants me, not you and I love him. Why don't you take a fucking long, hard look around you and face the facts, you pink menace."
 
Relena drew herself up to her full height, balancing on her crutches as best she could. Her eyes narrowed and her look became calculating. "You prick. You're just jealous and trying to twist the truth around to suit yourself. I know your kind, luring innocent men into your clutches and once you've had enough of them or gotten what you can out of them you just cast them aside. Well, I've got news for you, you're not going to do it to my Heero!"
 
"Your Heero? Since when has Heero ever said he wanted you?"
 
"He was going to take me out to dinner, he'd already arranged to pick me up. I know he was planning on proposing to me and now you've gone and ruined it all," snarled Relena.
 
"I don't know what planet you're on but it certainly isn't Earth! Heero would never ask you out to dinner and he as sure as hell wouldn't ask you to marry him!"
 
"Yes, he was. You can ask Treize," Relena replied smugly. "And now, you, you go and try to corrupt him with your filthy ways. Perverts like you should be castrated and hung out to dry, preying on innocent men."
 
"You fucking moron. You just don't get it, do you?! You're so wrapped up in yourself you can't see the forest for the trees." Duo had no reason to question Heero's love for him. He knew the dark haired rider loved him unconditionally and he wasn't about to stand here and be insulted and not give back as good as he was getting.
 
"I can see that he has talents in the riding world that he's never going to achieve while you're trying to get your faggoty paws on him!" Relena fired.
 
"At least I didn't cause his accident!'
 
"What's that supposed to mean?"
 
"Think about it, bitch. This is all your fault. Because of you and your ridiculous obsession, my boyfriend is now lying on an operating table undergoing surgery to fix a broken arm. Not only that, but you could have cost him the chance to achieve his dream of riding for his country. And if that wasn't enough, you're also responsible for the death of a fine horse, one that had the ability to be a top animal. Well, I hope you're proud of yourself, princess. I'd ask you if your conscience lets you sleep at night knowing the pain you've caused, but selfish, self obsessed pieces of shit like you don't have one."
 
"I might have known that someone of your intelligence level would try to pin the blame for Heero's accident on an innocent party."
 
Duo slapped a hand against his forehead. "I don't believe this. Not even you could be that thick not to see what you did! Talk about living in a fantasy world. You seriously need to get a life, one away from my boyfriend!"
 
As the argument progressed, so did the level of their voices. So far they'd kept it at hisses and snarled words, now though, the volume began to rise as tempers got the better of both parties.
 
"He's not your boyfriend, faggot!"
 
"If he isn't then why is he living with me? Why is he sharing my bed?"
 
"Because he hasn't had the chance to escape you and your pansy ways. But that's all going to change," snapped Relena.
 
"I don't think so. Once Heero's well enough to leave this hospital he'll be coming back home with me so you might as well get used to it and leave him alone. He's mine, bitch, and I'm not about to let you sink your stinking claws into him!"
 
"Bastard! I can see that Heero needs to be with me. I can take care of him, give him what he needs. I'm a woman, I can have his children. You're nothing but a two bit, country vet that couldn't even clip a dog's claws properly."
 
Duo drew in a sharp breath. That stung! "Maybe you can give Heero children, but what makes you think he wants kids? Besides, I have something you could never give him."
 
"What? A tight asshole to fuck?"
 
That did it. Duo lost the shred of control he was grimly hanging onto. Fists clenched, eyes sparked with fury and his lip curled feraly. Leaning in towards Relena, Duo let fly.
 
"You fucking cow! If you had one scrap of sanity in that tiny pea brain of yours you'd see Heero for who he is, a human being, a man with a big heart, generous soul and a love of life. But that's asking too much of you. All you can see is Heero as another of your studs, a prize to add to your stable, nothing more than a breeding machine, a sperm bank. Sure, you can probably give him top horses to ride, the best in equipment, all the monetary things, but you could never give him what I can. I give him love, support and freedom, unconditional and unquestioned. I gave him my heart. You could never do that, you love yourself way too much to want to share. I pity you."
 
"Why, you mongrel!" Relena balanced herself on her feet and suddenly swung at Duo with one of her crutches.
 
***
 
Zechs pulled into the hospital parking area and began to look for a place to park. He spotted Duo's car but had to ride around a bit more before locating a spot further away that he would have liked. Cutting the engine the pair got out and began to walk swiftly to the emergency entrance of the hospital.
 
"Do you think they're both still down here?" asked Zechs as they approached the sliding doors.
 
"Knowing the speed at which the emergency department moves, I'd say it's a fairly good bet. When I brought Relena down for x-rays after the show a couple of weeks ago we had to wait a good two hours before we were seen by a doctor," replied Treize.
 
"Gotta love the health system," muttered Zechs. "You wouldn't want to come in with life threatening injuries, now, would you? By the time they get around to seeing you, you could be a corpse."
 
Treize couldn't help it, he laughed.
 
"You should do that more often," said Zechs softly. "It suits you."
 
Treize lowered his eyes, a pink hue spreading over his cheeks. Suddenly his face turned serious again. "I wonder if Relena is still here? Shit! I hope not, or at least if she is, she's staying out of Duo's way."
 
"Trouble?" queried Zechs as they passed through the first set of sliding doors.
 
"With a capital T. I'll give you the short version later."
 
"Okay."
 
The pair stepped through the second set of doors and entered the foyer of the emergency department, and froze.
 
"Security! Someone call security now!" a voice yelled from their left.
 
The sounds of a heated argument hit their ears and both Treize and Zechs turned to face each other.
 
"Relena!" stated Treize, recognizing the woman's high pitched voice.
 
"Duo!" responded Zechs. He'd know that swearing tone anywhere.
 
"Fuck!" they said in unison and took off at a run in the direction of the argument.
 
***
 
Sister Clarke delivered the last of the paper work on Heero Yuy to the OR and wished the man good luck. Humming softly to herself, she took a quick look inside the OR waiting room, noting it was empty and then headed back to the elevator to go fetch Duo and bring him up. She smiled to herself as she recalled the handsome animal doctor. He really was a charmer and it was obvious he was very much in love with his partner.
 
The elevator doors opened and she stepped inside, pushing the button for the ground floor where the emergency department was located. She saw a lot of trauma in her job as one of the supervising sisters of the department. She'd witnessed fear, death, the atrocities of what one human could do to another and she'd seen her fair share of miracles too. It could be heartbreaking some times and very rewarding at other times.
 
Stepping out of the elevator, she immediately began to head for the waiting room when she heard the sounds of raised voices and a heated argument coming from down one of the corridors. One of the voices sounded a little familiar. Changing direction, Sister Clarke went to investigate.
 
Rounding the corner the sight that greeted her stunned her for a moment. Standing in the corridor was the man she knew as Duo and that woman that claimed to be Mr Yuy's fiancé. They were engaged in an increasingly vocal slanging match. Sister Clarke was about to approach and try to diffuse the situation when she saw the woman raise one of her crutches and swing at Duo. A loud crack was heard as the crutch connected with the vet's leg. Instantly Sister Clarke was running, calling for security as she ran.
 
***
 
Relena raised the crutch and swung at Duo. Unfortunately, Duo didn't have any room to move and dodge the blow. It landed with a crunch against his shin.
 
"You fucking bitch!" Duo snarled and rubbed the abused shin for a moment as the pain throbbed through his lower leg. When Relena raised the crutch again for a second blow, he retaliated. His hand came up sharply and punched the woman in the upper arm causing her to falter. Quickly, Duo wrestled the crutch from Relena before she could have another go at him. "I've a good mind to shove this crutch where the sun don't shine, only we'd probably lose it forever if I did!" he growled.
 
"You bastard! Hit me would you? I'm going to have you up on an assault charge, I'll sue you for every damn cent I can get, I'll ruin you!"
 
A calm voice broke into their argument. "I don't think so."
 
The warring parties paused to look at who had spoken, at the same time, Treize and Zechs came running around the corner.
 
"Relena!"
 
"Duo!"
 
"He hit me, the bastard," screamed Relena and lunged at Duo, intent on inflicting as much damage as she could. Her nails caught against the skin of Duo's cheek as the vet tried to dodge out of her way. Before she could sink her nails in properly, a pair of arms grabbed her from behind and pinned her own arms to her sides. She wriggled, screamed and kicked frantically. "Let me go! That pervert is going to pay for trying to take my Heero!"
 
"Bitch!" snarled Duo as he raised a hand to his cheek, his fingers coming away slightly bloody from the scratches. A hand to his arm drew him from his target and he spotted Zechs standing beside him for the first time, body stance indicating he was ready to grab Duo to prevent further physical violence should the need arise. At the same time, Duo heard Relena's cursing change and saw she was firmly held in Treize's arms, the poor man looked like he was copping a bit of a beating though.
 
"Relena, calm down," said Treize in a tone he usually used when quieting a nervous horse.
 
"That sorry excuse for a human being hit me!"
 
"You fucking hit me first, cow!" retorted Duo. "It was self defense!"
 
"Bullshit! I'll have your ass in court so fast you'll wonder what hit you!"
 
"You have nothing to charge me with, pink peace of crap!"
 
"Assault to start with, corrupting my fiancé with your perverted ways."
 
"What the fuck are you going on about, woman? I didn't assault you, you fucking hit me! And the last time I checked being gay wasn't a crime. Besides, I haven't corrupted Heero, he's gay too and we're both legally consenting adults and why the fuck am I explaining myself to *you*?!"
 
"ENOUGH!"
 
Relena shut her mouth on the next comment she was about to say, Duo also bit back a retort when he realized that Sister Clarke was standing there with her arms crossed and a decidedly annoyed look on her face.
 
"That is quite enough out of the pair of you," Sister Clarke began. "In case you had forgotten, this is a hospital, we have sick and injured patients here and they would appreciate a little peace and quiet."
 
"Sorry, sister," muttered Duo.
 
Relena continued to glare at the vet. Treize had released his hold on her but remained at her side. "Bastard," she hissed again.
 
"I said that is enough!" reprimanded the sister and turned her full attention to Relena. "You will leave this hospital immediately. You have no reason to be here."
 
"But, Heero... My fiancé is here."
 
"He's not your fiancé, you deluded pink menace!"
 
"Duo," Zechs warned. The glare Sister Clarke gave the vet added weight to Zechs' warning and Duo promptly shut up.
 
"That bastard hit me and I intend to take him to court and press charges for assault!"
 
Narrowing her eyes, Sister Clarke homed in on the young woman. "If that's what you intend to do, then fine, go ahead and press your charges, but I warn you, I saw the whole incident and I'm more than willing to testify in court on Doctor Maxwell's behalf that it was self defense."
 
Relena glared, Duo smirked.
 
"Now, as I said before, it's time for you to leave, you have no business here."
 
"But, Heero..."
 
"Mr Yuy is currently in theater. Doctor Maxwell here is Mr Yuy's next of kin and power of attorney. Both Doctor Maxwell and Mr Yuy have expressed their wish that you do not come anywhere near either of them..."
 
"Heero would never say that," Relena snapped.
 
"Mr Yuy's explicit instructions were that you not be allowed into his room or anywhere near him while he is a patient in this hospital."
 
"He must have suffered worse injuries to his head than first thought if he can't remember me and what happened," said Relena, her voice wavering. "My poor baby, I have to be with him, he needs me more than ever now."
 
"I think you may have to call for the men in white coats, sister," Duo muttered.
 
"I'm beginning to think that myself," replied the sister as she eyed the woman before her. "She's certainly got an obsession about your partner, Doctor Maxwell."
 
"Tell me about it. She's the reason Heero's in here in the first place."
 
"Oh?"
 
"I'll explain later," replied Duo as he noticed Relena beginning to work herself up to another round.
 
At that moment, two burly security guards came around the corner. "Someone call for security?" asked the one as they hurried over.
 
"I did, about five minutes ago," replied Sister Clarke. "About time you got here."
 
"Sorry."
 
Sister Clarke gave a sigh. "It's okay, things seem to be under control for the moment. But don't go too far away, I may need you to escort someone from the premises."
 
"Right."
 
Sister Clarke turned back to the group. "I'll give you the choice, Miss. You can either leave the hospital now, under your own steam or I can have the security guards escort you. It's your choice."
 
"But... Heero..."
 
"Mr Yuy is a patient of this hospital and I repeat, he doesn't not wish to see you. Now, what's it to be? Go by yourself or have these gentlemen escort you out?"
 
"Come on, Relena," coaxed Treize. "I'll take you out and run you home." Then it dawned on Treize, he didn't have his car, he'd come in Zechs' car. "Shit! I don't have my car."
 
"I can call a cab, Mr…?" said Sister Clarke.
 
"Kushrenada, Treize Kushrenada. I'm Heero Yuy's employer, I was there when the accident happened."
 
"Ah. I can call a cab for you, if you wish?"
 
Seeing that Relena was not about to make any move to leave voluntarily, Treize took over. "Yes, if you don't mind, sister, a cab would be appreciated."
 
"I'll organize one for you."
 
"Thank you." Treize turned to Duo and Zechs. "I'll take Relena home in a cab and come back in my own car, if that's okay?"
 
Zechs looked a little disappointed that Treize was leaving, but the man said he would be back. Zechs would have loaned Treize his car, but with the amount and type of drugs and equipment he carried in the vehicle it was too much of an insurance risk.
 
"Fine with me. The sooner that cow is out of here the better. You're welcome to come back though, Treize. I know Heero will want to see you once he's up to it," said Duo as he gave Relena a sneer.
 
"Can I trust you not to start fighting and arguing again while I go and call that cab?" asked Sister Clarke.
 
"We will make sure they behave themselves," replied Zechs with a soft smile.
 
"I'll be right back then."
 
* * *
 
"Ah, Mr Yuy. I'm Doctor Phelps and I will be doing the operation to fix your arm."
 
"Hi doc," Heero managed to get out around a dry tongue and mouth that felt like it was full of cotton.
 
"This is Doctor Wolfe and he will be the anesthetist. In a moment he's going to ask you some questions and then we will take you through into the theater and prep you for surgery. While you're under the anesthetic I will put your collar bone back into place and then pin and plate the humerus bone in your arm. When you wake up you will be in a plaster cast from the shoulder to the elbow to restrict any movement of the upper arm while the bone knits back together. You're going to be a bit sore for a while so let us know when you're in any pain and we will control that with the appropriate pain medication. Do you have any questions?"
 
"Aa. How long will I be in plaster for?"
 
"About six to eight weeks, depending on how the fracture heals."
 
"How long before I can ride again?"
 
The doctor made a 'tsking' noise. "You horse people, you're all the same. Wanting to know when you can get back into the saddle again. It won't be for a few weeks. It all depends on the severity of the injured bone and I won't know exactly how much damage has been done until I operate. X-rays only show so much. I'll be able to let you know better once the operation is finished."
 
"Thanks."
 
"Now, if there are no more questions, I'll leave you with Doctor Wolfe and go finish getting scrubbed up. I'll see you inside." Doctor Phelps left and Doctor Wolfe took over.
 
Heero answered the anesthetist's questions as best he could and was relieved when they finally wheeled him into the theater. He was lifted from his bed and placed on the operating table. Doctor Wolfe appeared in his line of vision once more and smiled through his mask.
 
"I'm going to give you the anesthetic now. Count backwards for me from ten to one."
 
"Ten, nine, eight..." Heero slipped into unconsciousness.
 
"He's out, Phelps."
 
"Good. Scalpel."
 
* * *
 
Treize managed to half carry, half drag a fuming Relena from the corridor. He figured it would be better for everyone if he took her outside and waited by the emergency doors for the cab. She continued to rant about Duo and his corrupting of Heero with his gay tendencies. Nothing Treize could say would calm her down or distract her. He wondered what she would say if she knew he was bisexual? And going on a date with a guy next Wednesday.
 
With the departure of Relena, Duo all but collapsed against the wall. Zechs managed to support him though and when Sister Clarke returned from making the call to the cab company, Zechs assisted Duo to walk to one of the smaller treatment rooms.
 
Sister Clarke insisted that Duo's cheek be treated and his shin looked at before she would take him up to the OR waiting room.
 
"Just sit there, young man," she commanded and Duo obeyed, her tone insisted he did and after the argument with Relena he wasn't feeling up to another one any time soon.
 
The sister flitted about the room, gathering together the things she wanted before dumping them into a kidney dish and returning to her patient. "Now, let's have a look at you and while I do, you can tell what that skirmish in the corridor was all about."
 
Duo winced as the sister wiped away the blood with antiseptic and water, cleaning the wounds neatly before applying an antibiotic cream. As she patched him up he gave her a brief outline of what had transpired between himself and Relena, careful to leave out all the colorful details.
 
The sister frowned and then had Duo roll up his trouser leg so she could inspect the damage done by Relena's crutch. Duo bit his lip as she poked the darkening bruise. "I don't think there's any damage other than bruising," she said. "Just be careful though and if it gives you any trouble we can take an x-ray of it."
 
"Thanks, Sister."
 
"My pleasure. Now, I'll take you up to the OR waiting room. Did you want your friend to come with you?"
 
"Oh, sorry, sister. This is Doctor Merquise, he's another vet."
 
"Pleased to meet you, doctor," the sister said.
 
"The pleasure is all mine," smiled Zechs. "I'm sorry we couldn't get here a little sooner and stopped that argument for you."
 
"That's okay. Thank you for your help though. From what I saw and what Duo has told me, I think that woman needs to see someone. That sort of obsession isn't normal," said the sister.
 
"I'm afraid Relena has been spoiled, everything she's ever wanted she's been given so naturally she thinks she can have whatever she desires. Unfortunately, she thinks that stretches to her choice of partner as well."
 
"Yeah, well, she picked the wrong guy this time, Heero's mine and I'm not giving him up," snapped Duo. He wondered just how Zechs knew so much about Relena. He filed it away in his mind, he'd question the blonde vet about that later, once he knew Heero was okay.
 
"Well, I hope that other gentleman can calm her down and that she doesn't show up here again. I'd hate to have security forcibly remove her."
 
"You have a psyche ward, don't you, sister?" Duo asked innocently.
 
"Yes, we do. Why?"
 
"If she does show up again, just have her admitted, save everyone a lot of trouble." Duo couldn't help the smirk.
 
"You're evil, you know that?" replied the sister, but there was a smile on her face. "Don't tempt me though."
 
Zechs laughed. "If she keeps going at this rate you won't have to bother, she'll be committed anyway."
 
Sister Clarke held her grin and just shook her head. "I can't believe she wants to press charges against you for assault, she's the one that took the first swing."
 
"I'd like to see her try," growled Duo. "I'd fight her every inch of the way."
 
"Don't worry. I saw what happened and I meant what I said. I'd stand witness for you that she took the first swing and you were only defending yourself."
 
"Thanks, that means a lot to me."
 
"Come on, I'll take you both up the surgical floor and waiting room."
 
Duo and Zechs stood, following the sister out and to the elevator that would take them to the OR waiting room.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc.....