Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 27 ( Chapter 27 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 27
 
Treize managed to get Relena outside the emergency entrance to the hospital and sat her down on a bench to await the cab. He ran a hand through his hair, unsure of how to deal with the woman and her obsession. Treize had known of Relena's interest in Heero, but he didn't realize just how deep that interest had gone; until now.
 
The cab pulled up, diverting Treize's attention for the moment as he assisted Relena to get in. She hadn't said anything since he'd all but dragged her from the hospital and that worried him. He gave the cab driver the address and sat back in the seat, trying to figure out what to say to the woman beside him, as well as figure out what was going on inside her head.
 
Relena was busy thinking. She was still fuming from her run in with that excuse for a vet and didn't take kindly to being asked to leave the hospital. Knowing that she wasn't allowed to see her Heero didn't sit well and she was certain it would only be a matter of time before she would clear this up with the hospital staff and be allowed to visit Heero. A call to the hospital's board director would soon see this little matter taken care of.
 
Satisfied with that decision, Relena turned her attention to the other problem. One Duo Maxwell. He would be a little harder to remove from the scene. She didn't believe for one minute that Heero could possibly be interested in that long haired freak. True, she'd seen them kissing, but in her eyes it had been that vet doing the kissing, Heero, in his injured state, couldn't fight him off. She had to stop him from corrupting her Heero any further. She knew Heero would thank her for saving him.
 
Once Heero was out of surgery and feeling better he would tell the staff to let her in to visit. It was simply the knock to the head that was responsible for his altered behavior. Yes, that had to be it. After all, whenever she'd visited the stables or attended a show, Heero had always been polite to her, chatted with her and even agreed to take her out to dinner. That vet though. He'd always been curt, rude and generally nasty to her.
 
She would get her revenge on that queer. No one spoke to her like that and got away with it. She was Relena Peacecraft, a woman with authority. People listened to her when she spoke and she was damned if she would sit back and let that no good faggot get away with abusing her. A small smile tugged at her lips as she tossed around ideas in her head.
 
Treize watched the woman carefully out the corner of his eye. He was worried. He knew she was up to something, but he couldn't figure out what. "Relena?"
 
She turned to look at him.
 
"Are you all right?"
 
"I'm fine," came the quiet reply.
 
Treize frowned. He didn't like the way she was acting. Unable to get any further response from the woman, Treize sat back and watched the lights pass by, his mind drawn towards the blonde vet.
 
"This it?" asked the cab driver, jolting Treize from his musings.
 
Recognizing the Peacecraft Manor gates, Treize realized they were at Relena's place. "Yes. Would you mind going up the driveway, please?"
 
The cabbie put his foot back on the gas and drove up the driveway. He came to a stop outside the front steps to the manor.
 
"Thank you. Would you mind waiting? I'll just get the young lady to the house and then get you to run me home so I can pick up my car and go back to the hospital."
 
The cabbie shrugged. "No problem. You're paying the fare."
 
Treize got out and went to the other side of the cab, assisting Relena out of the vehicle. He helped her up the front steps. "Do you have your key, or is your housekeeper on duty?"
 
The answer came a second later when the door to the manor opened and a blonde woman stood on the threshold. "Mister Treize?"
 
"Ah, Dorothy. I've brought Miss Relena back. There was an accident over at the stables this afternoon. No, Relena is okay, it wasn't her. Mr Yuy, one of my students had a fall and was taken to the hospital. Look, I really need to get back to the hospital. Could you take care of Relena, please? She's had a bit of a shock with all that's gone on and she's a little upset. I'll call you later and let you know all the details."
 
"No problem, Mister Treize. I'll get her bathed and fed and into some warm clothes."
 
"Oh, Dorothy?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"Do me a favor? Don't take much notice of anything she says will you? There's a lot more to this than what Relena will lead you to believe. Wait until you hear my side of the story before making any judgment," Treize added in a low tone
 
Dorothy nodded. "Of course. You'd better go, taxi's waiting and it will be costing you a fortune. I'll take care of Miss Relena. Just make sure you call and tell me what's going on when you get the chance."
 
"Thanks, Dorothy."
 
Dorothy took Relena by the elbow and helped the woman inside. Her mind was racing in circles, trying to figure out what Treize had meant by his words. She knew he would call her and give her the full story as soon as he was able to. Until then she would have to rely on Miss Relena's version, and she'd worked for the Peacecraft woman long enough to know Relena could twist the truth to suit herself when she wanted.
 
"Come on inside, Miss Relena. I've got a nice hot bath waiting for you. I'll wrap that cast in some plastic and then you can have a nice long soak while I get you something hot for tea."
 
Relena nodded. "Thank you, Dorothy, that sounds lovely."
 
Dorothy frowned. Something was going on. Relena seemed distracted. She shoved it aside for the moment making a mental note to keep a close eye on her boss.
 
Treize got back into the cab and gave the driver the address and directions to get to his residence. It didn't take long for the cab to be pulling up outside the front doors. Treize got out and paid the driver, thanked him and then walked briskly to the back of the house and his car. Unlocking it, he got in, started it up and headed back to the hospital.
 
***
 
Sister Clarke took Duo and Zechs along a corridor on the surgical floor, turned left, then right and stopped at a room several doors down. "This is the waiting room," she explained as they stepped inside. "Once the surgeon has finished operating he will come in here to find you and update you on Mr Yuy's condition, as well as how the procedure went. There's a bathroom just out the door and to your right, a soda machine and snack vending machine are also down by the toilet. There's tea and coffee making facilities just over in the corner there; no charge. Magazines are in the holder there and there's a nurse call button on the wall there if you need assistance."
 
"Thank you, sister," said Duo as he looked around the spacious waiting room.
 
"I have to get back to the emergency department. My shift finishes in another three hours, I'll stop by before I leave to see what the news is on Mr Yuy before I go home."
 
Duo moved across to the sister. "I can't thank you enough for all your help, sister. Not just with Heero, but for being understanding and not judgmental of us. Also I would like to apologize again for that little altercation in the corridor. It should never have happened." Duo gave the sister a warm hug and then stepped back, a pink tinge on his cheeks.
 
"You're most welcome, Duo. I'm here to help people get well, regardless of their race, creed, color or religion. I don't give a fig who or what you are, in my eyes we're all human, all equal."
 
"You're one in a million, you know that?"
 
"Oh, bosh!"
 
"Sister, if you ever decide to give up nursing humans, give me a call, I could always use you as a nurse in my vet practice."
 
It was the sister's turn to feel the blush rising to her cheeks. "Somehow I can't see myself nursing Dobermans, although some of the patients we have through here at times make me wonder if they are in the right place. Thank you though and I'll be sure to remember the offer. Now, I have to go. Oh, one more thing. I meant what I said earlier, about should the worst come to the worst and that woman decides to try and press assault charges on you. I'll stand witness for you."
 
Duo beamed. "If I didn't already have a partner, sister, I'd be asking you for a date!"
 
"And a fine sight that would make! A young, handsome thing like you with a portly old biddy like me?! Be off with you! I'll see you before I leave. Behave." The sister turned and left the waiting room, returning to the hustle and bustle of the emergency department.
 
Duo held the smile until she'd left and then he walked back across the room and sat heavily in one of the chairs. His smile slipped and his shoulders sagged. He dropped his head to his hands and closed his eyes. A warm hand on his shoulder caused him to look up.
 
"It's okay to let go." The words were soft, the hand comforting.
 
"Zechs..." Duo's voice faltered for a moment. "What am I gonna do? I'm so scared."
 
Crouching beside the chair, Zechs brought his arms around the younger vet and held him close, offering comfort and support. "Heero's going to be all right. He's a tough cookie, he won't let this set him back."
 
"Everything was going so right, Zero is jumping well, he'd just been advised he'd made it to the short list, Taurus was coming along great - and now this! It isn't fair!"
 
"I know," soothed Zechs. "I wish there was something more I could do."
 
"It's okay. The company is more help than you know."
 
"Would you like a coffee?"
 
Duo eyed the coffee machine in the corner of the waiting room with suspicion. "You sure it's coffee in there?"
 
Zechs looked at the machine, a puzzled expression on his face. "Why? It says coffee on it and the sister also said it was. Is there something you're not telling me?"
 
Duo gave a low chuckle. "If it's anything like the coffee in the hospital canteen then I'm sure you could package it and sell it to the road workers for resurfacing the roads."
 
Zechs quirked an eyebrow. "Strong?"
 
"Stand your spoon up in it."
 
"Ah. Maybe a soda then?"
 
"Might be safer."
 
"Right." Zechs disappeared out into the hallway, returning a couple of minutes later with two sodas. He passed one to Duo and sat down with his own. They sat in silence for a while, each lost in their own thoughts, sipping on their sodas. Duo got up and went to the bathroom, when he returned he spotted Treize walking down the corridor with a young nurse. The nurse left Treize with Duo and returned to her duties.
 
"Any word?" asked Treize as he paused outside the waiting room door.
 
"Not yet," replied Duo and opened the door.
 
Zechs looked up as the ginger haired man entered, a soft smile played over his lips as his eyes fell on the man who had captivated him.
 
Duo sat down again, Treize sat next to Zechs on the couch.
 
"I left Relena with her housekeeper. Dorothy will calm her down and sort her out. Duo, I'm sorry about Relena."
 
Duo turned his weary eyes towards Treize. He could see the lines of fatigue etched into those handsome features. Treize had also suffered through a lot today and Duo felt sorry for the man. "It's okay, Treize. It's not your fault."
 
"I feel responsible though. If I had realized just how deep her infatuation with Heero was, maybe I could have averted this. I could have kept her away from the stables, made sure Heero wasn't around when she called by..."
 
"Treize!" Duo snapped. "Listen to me. This isn't your fault. You weren't to know how obsessed she was, you weren't to know she would spook the horse, so please, stop beating yourself up over it. I didn't know she was that obsessed either and I'm sure Heero didn't. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem the type to be reasoned with if that little temper tantrum earlier is any indication."
 
Treize sighed. Duo was right, he knew that, but it didn't make him feel any better.
 
"I don't think she's insane," began Zechs slowly.
 
"Could have fooled me," muttered Duo.
 
Zechs gave a snort. "No, not insane, just deluded, I think. She's so intent on having Heero for herself that she can't see anything else. Just how did she find out that you and Heero are a couple?"
 
"She must have seen us in the trauma room, kissing. At least that's what I can gather from what I remember of the argument. She said something about me kissing him and Heero being unable to fight me off." Duo gave a wry chuckle. "If I remember the kiss correctly, Heero wasn't protesting much, if anything he was after more."
 
"I'll try talking to her," said Treize.
 
"Good luck! I don't think you'll have much success in getting through to her," Duo said in a sarcastic tone. "She's only concerned about herself and what she can get."
 
"Give her time to cool down a bit, maybe then she will see things clearer. I'm sure if I try to talk to her tomorrow, explain to her about yours and Heero's relationship then she will back off and leave you two alone. That's if you don't mind me discussing your, errr... relationship."
 
"Treize, it really doesn't matter now. The cat's out of the bag, she knows I'm gay, I told her Heero was gay and she didn't believe that. What's it going to take for her to accept that Heero is mine, that he loves me, that he's not interested in girls, and certainly not her? Is she going to have to walk in on us fucking to believe Heero's as gay as they come?"
 
Zechs choked on his soda, spraying it across the carpet, Treize thumped him on the back.
 
"Shit! Can you at least wait until I don't have anything in my mouth before coming out with a comment like that?!" Zechs said as he mopped himself up.
 
"Sorry," said Duo with a sheepish smile. "I didn't mean to be so crude, but you know what I'm saying?"
 
"Yes, I get what you mean," replied Treize. "I don't think it will need to come to that though. I'm sure I will be able to talk some sense into her, and even if I can't, I'm pretty sure that Dorothy, her housekeeper, will be able to put her straight."
 
Duo stifled the snicker. Zechs looked amused, Treize raised an eyebrow in question.
 
"What?" Treize said, clearly missing the joke.
 
"Put her straight? I thought she was straight." Duo sniggered.
 
Treize rolled his eyes. "I'm getting a coffee." He stood up and went to the coffee machine in the corner of the waiting room.
 
"Might want to check your health insurance is paid up before drinking that stuff," Duo commented.
 
Treize filled his cup, added a dash of milk and teaspoon of sugar before turning back to the other two. "It's not that bad, is it?"
 
"Nice knowing you," said Duo.
 
Treize sniffed at the cup suspiciously. The thick, brownish liquid stared back at him. "It smells okay." He raised the cup to his lips and took a tentative sip. "Yuk! What the hell is this?"

"I did try to warn you," Duo smirked.
 
"Tastes like engine oil."
 
"I didn't know you were in the habit of drinking engine oil," Zechs said, amused at the contortions Treize's face was making.
 
"I'm not, but after that... God, that's awful." Treize looked around for somewhere to dump the contents of the cup. He spied a rather sickly looking plant to the side and went to tip the contents on the soil.
 
"Looks like a few people have done the same thing," mused Duo. "I wonder if they have plant doctors, `cause I think that one is in desperate need of resuscitation."
 
"I would assume they do. I think I've heard the words `tree surgeon' bandied about somewhere," said Treize as he pinched Duo's soda and took a long drink.
 
"Thanks, that's better." Treize handed the can back to a stunned looking Duo.
 
Duo wiggled the can from side to side, peered into the little hole and then tossed the can into the recycling bin. He was about to make a comment when a tall man in blue scrubs entered the room.
 
"Duo Maxwell?"
 
Duo stood up. "That's me."
 
"I'm Doctor Phelps. I've just finished surgery on Mr Yuy."
 
* * *
 
The nurse brought the swab up and mopped the surgeon's brow, then she took the used needle and handed him another one threaded with the fine silk. Doctor Phelps continued to stitch.
 
"Blood pressure normal, heart rate normal, breathing normal," said Doctor Wolfe from his position by Heero's head where he was monitoring the various machines and amount of anesthetic traveling into his patient.
 
"Thanks. Nearly finished," replied Doctor Phelps from behind his mask. It had taken a while but the splintered bone had been pinned and plated back into place and should heal well. The collar bone had also been put back in and the patient would feel a lot more comfortable once he woke up.
 
The tinkle of the needle into the kidney dish signified the end of that part of the process. Doctor Phelps cleaned over the area, admiring the neat row of stitches before leaving the nurses to finish off. Gauze would be applied, then a bandage followed by the plaster cast to ensure the bone did not move whilst healing.
 
"I'll go speak with the family. Take him through to the recovery ward once the plaster is done and page me."
 
"Yes, doctor," replied the surgical nurse.
 
Doctor Phelps left, peeling off his gloves and mask as he entered the scrub up area. He tossed them into the bin and then removed his gown and hat. Giving his face a quick rinse under the tap and checking he didn't have blood on his scrubs, he headed out to the waiting room where the guy's anxious family would be waiting.
 
As he approached the waiting room, Doctor Phelps faltered for a moment. Instead of the usual parents, wife or girlfriend in the room, there were three men. Phelps frowned, shrugged his shoulders and then reached for the door handle. For all he knew the guy might not have any living parents and these might be his brothers or other relations. He looked quickly at the chart and noted the next of kin was listed as a Duo Maxwell. Obviously one of these men in here had to be that person.
 
"Duo Maxwell?" he asked as the three men turned to look at him.
 
"That's me."
 
Doctor Phelps looked at the slender man before him and gauged him to be around the same age as his patient. Not his brother though, he thought, noting the lack of Asian features. "I'm Doctor Phelps, I've just finished surgery on Mr Yuy."
 
"How is he, doc? Did it all go okay? Will he be all right?" The words tumbled out of Duo's mouth.
 
The surgeon smiled. "He's going to be just fine."
 
Duo gave an audible sigh of relief and felt a load shift from his shoulders. "Thank god for small mercies."
 
"I have put the collar bone back in and it shouldn't cause any further trouble. I've also located the splintered sections of the bone, removed any that could pose a problem and pinned and plated the bone back into place. He's going to be in plaster for about six to eight weeks. The stitches will dissolve in ten days, but I'd like to do a scan on his arm every two or three days to make sure that the wound is healing okay and that there's no sign of any infection. I can also check that the stitches are dissolving properly."
 
"What if an infection sets in?" asked Duo.
 
"Then we will need to remove the plaster cast and treat the infection. It's extremely rare for an infection to get in and I don't anticipate any problems in this case."
 
"And the pins and plate?"
 
"They will need to remain in the arm for some time. They will be monitored as the bone heals and it's common to remove them after around twelve months or so, depending on the bone, how well it's healed and how strong it is."
 
Duo nodded. He'd thought as much. Surgery and the resulting aftercare were not all that different between humans and animals.
 
"He will be coming through to recovery soon. Once he's come around I can take you through to see him if you wish. Only one of you will be allowed though."
 
"Thank you, doctor. Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't introduce you," Duo said, his cheeks pinking a little with embarrassment. "This is Treize Kushrenada, Heero's boss."
 
Treize stepped forward and shook the surgeon's hand. "Pleased to meet you. Thank you for taking care of Heero for us."
 
"Nice to meet you too, and it's my pleasure."
 
"This is Doctor Zechs Merquise, a friend and colleague of mine."
 
"You're a doctor?" questioned Phelps as he took Zechs' hand and shook it.
 
"A doctor of animals, not humans, as is Duo here," replied Zechs with a smile.
 
"My apologies, I didn't realize I was talking to another couple of 'professionals'."
 
"You weren't to know, doc," smiled Duo. "Besides, our patients don't talk; they just bite, scratch or kick."
 
"I've had a few like that myself," chuckled the doctor. "Maybe our professions aren't as dissimilar as you might think." The surgeon's beeper went off and he quickly grabbed it from his pocket and looked at the tiny screen. "Mr Yuy is back in recovery and awake. I'll take one of you through to him. Who is it going to be?"
 
"Ah, me, doc. I'm Heero's housemate." Duo shuffled his feet nervously.
 
The surgeon's mind suddenly clicked and he gave a smile. "Come on then, I'll take you through to your partner."
 
Duo left with Doctor Phelps, Treize and Zechs sat back down to await his return.
 
***
 
"Mr Yuy? Mr Yuy? Can you hear me, Mr Yuy? Come on, it's time to wake up."
 
Heero was floating in a pleasant dream. He was riding Zero around a huge course. The air was thick with tension; the only noise to be heard was the jingle of the bit, creak of leather, soft grunts and dull thuds as hooves bit into the arena surface. He'd cleared the water jump, flown over the gate and hopped neatly over the rustic rails. All that remained was the triple bar. He was clear so far, well within time, and if he cleared the triple he would have the gold medal in the bag.
 
He concentrated hard, riding Zero together, giving the horse the impulsion it would need. He ran a hand down the sweaty, satiny neck and felt the muscles quiver in reply. He put the legs on, Zero lengthening out his stride, hindquarters gathered underneath and prepared to launch into the air...
 
"Mr Yuy?"
 
"Uh? Wha…" Heero was dragged from his dream by the calling of his name.
 
"Mr Yuy? It's Nurse Stevens. Come on, time to wake up."
 
Heero forced his eyes to open, blinking groggily around him. The dream began to fade rapidly and he growled at the loss.
 
"Mr Yuy? How do you feel?"
 
Good question.
 
As his senses began to come back online, Heero ran a mental check over his body. "I feel like I've been trampled by a herd of elephants," he replied.
 
The nurse chuckled. "That's to be expected. Are you in any pain?"
 
"No, not really. More a dull ache in my arm and shoulder at the moment."
 
"On a scale of one to ten, how would you rate the pain? One being the lowest, ten the highest."
 
"I'd say about a four."
 
"Good. If it gets any worse, let me know and I'll give you something for the pain. I've paged Doctor Phelps and he will be here in a moment to explain what he's done to you. Once your temperature and other vitals are stable, we will take you down to the ward and make you comfortable."
 
"Thanks," Heero got out around a thick tongue. "Could I have a glass of water, please?"
 
The nurse moved to the side and returned a few moments later with a small paper cup and straw. She held the cup steady and pushed the straw between Heero's lips. "Just small sips for the moment."
 
Heero did as he was told, the cool liquid easing his parched throat. The nurse removed the cup and straw, settling it somewhere to the side before returning and tucking the blanket a little more firmly around her patient.
 
Doctor Phelps entered the recovery room and went to check his patient. He left Duo to wait outside the door for a moment, making sure everything was normal before he beckoned the young man in. "I've explained everything to your partner here, but I doubt he will remember much of it tomorrow. I will explain it all again tomorrow when he's back to normal, meanwhile, if he does ask you're free to repeat anything I explained to you earlier."
 
"Thank you, doctor."
 
"He should be alright to go to the ward in about half an hour. The nurse here will let you know when he's to be transferred and then your friends will be able to come to the ward and visit as well, but not for too long, Mr Yuy needs to rest."
 
"I'll remember that," replied Duo softly. His feet were itching to take him across to Heero's side, his fingers ached to touch and reassure himself that Heero was okay.
 
"I'll leave you all to it then." Doctor Phelps turned to the nurse. "Page me if you need me."
 
"I will, doctor."
 
"I'll take my leave."
 
"Thank you again, doctor." Duo held his hand out to shake the surgeon's.
 
Phelps smiled and shook the offered hand. "My pleasure, Doctor Maxwell. This is why we went into the field of medicine, to try and help, make a difference. Even if yours are not on the same intelligence scale as mine."
 
Duo laughed. "I don't know, doc. After some of the humans I've dealt with I'm beginning to wonder if dogs and cats aren't the superior species, they're certainly better behaved than some people I know." Duo's dark thoughts returned to Relena and the scene that had played out earlier.
 
"You could be right,” replied the doctor. "Now, I really must go."
 
Duo watched as the surgeon left, then approached the side of the bed Heero was lying on. Sleepy cobalt eyes opened and a smile graced Heero's lips as his lover came into view.
 
"How are you feeling, Heero?" Duo asked softly. The nurse was still hovering around and Duo resisted the urge to kiss his boyfriend.
 
"I'd feel a whole lot better if people would stop asking me that," murmured Heero.
 
Duo chuckled and then thought 'what the hell' and entwined his fingers with Heero's. "You had me worried for a while there, baby. Doc says you're going to be just fine though."
 
"I'm sorry I worried you."
 
"Shhh... It's okay, Heero. You're all fixed up now. You just need to rest and heal."
 
"What time is it?"
 
Duo glanced at his watch. "Seven thirty in the evening."
 
"The horses. They need to be fed, and you have consults," Heero began, the worry evident in his voice.
 
"All taken care of, Heero. Don't fret, I wouldn't let the horses starve."
 
Heero managed to cock an eyebrow.
 
"Actually, you can thank Catherine. When the call came through from Treize I kinda went into a bit of a panic. Catherine calmed me down and put me straight. She's organized for Hilde to cover my consults and she's looking after the kennels and the reception for me. She called Trowa and Quatre to come and lend a hand with the horses. They've all be fed and rugged up so don't worry about them."
 
Heero visibly relaxed. “I will need for you to tell me what you want them feeding though. I'm not sure what amounts of what feed stuff you give them and I don't want to upset their diets."
 
Heero smiled. "When they take me through to the ward, grab a pen and paper and I'll tell you."
 
Duo looked relieved. While he hadn't said anything and knew he was capable of putting the horses out and doing their stables and other work that went with them, he wasn't sure exactly how much of the concentrates Heero fed each horse. Horses had a temperamental dietary system and to mess around with it could cause problems.
 
"I'll just check your vitals again, Mr Yuy, and if they are still stable we can move you to the ward," said the nurse stepping up to the side of the bed. If she noticed their entwined hands, she didn't say anything.
 
Duo waited patiently while the woman did her job, pleased when she said Heero could be moved. The nurse went in search of an orderly and Duo took advantage of the solitude to do what he'd been aching to do since coming into the recovery area. He leaned over the side of the bed and kissed Heero.
 
The kiss was sweet, tender and deep, letting Heero know how much Duo loved him. Heero put as much emotion back into the kiss as he could, trying to let Duo know he cared just as much for his lover and partner.
 
They broke apart, Duo smiling softly as he traced his fingers over Heero's lips. "I love you, Heero."
 
"Love you too, Duo. I really am sorry about all this."
 
"Not your fault, Heero. Now, stop blaming yourself and concentrate on getting better. You have a team to try out for, remember?"
 
Heero frowned. "I don't know if that will be possible now."
 
"I can't see why not. Doc said you will be in plaster for about six to eight weeks and we haven't heard from the selection board yet as to when the camp will be held. Somehow I don't think they will be sending out letters giving you only a week's notice. After all, people do have their jobs and stuff to organize before they can get away."
 
"It's not just that, Duo. I'm sure they will give us a few weeks notice."
 
"Then what is it?"
 
"Zero."
 
"Zero?"
 
"He's got to be kept fit and his jumping up to par. How can I possibly hope to keep him in top condition if I can't work him?"
 
"Shit!" Duo hadn't thought about that. Zero would need to be worked, worked hard and regularly. Heero was right, he couldn't possibly hope to keep the horse in top condition if he couldn't ride.
 
"I'm sure we will figure something out, Heero. I'm not going to see you get this far only to have all your hopes and dreams dashed by one stupid act."
 
"I can't see how," replied Heero with a sigh.
 
Duo couldn't either, but he knew there had to be a way and he was determined to find it.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc....