Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 28 ( Chapter 28 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne? Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 28
 
Dorothy took charge of her mistress as soon as Treize left, guiding the young woman towards the bedroom. "You sit here for a moment, Miss Relena, while I go and draw you a bath and fetch something to cover that cast with."
 
"Okay." Relena sat down on the chair by her vanity and gazed into the mirror.
 
Dorothy made sure she was okay before leaving to enter the en-suite bathroom and turn on the faucets. She sprinkled some scented bath crystals into the tub, checked the temperature and left to fetch some plastic to wrap around her boss' plaster cast. She returned a few minutes later to find Relena still sitting and gazing into the vanity mirror. She had a far away look on her face. Dorothy shook her head and went through to the bathroom again to turn off the water. Returning, she assisted Relena to the bathroom and wrapped the cast in plastic. "I'll go and check on your dinner while you take your bath, Miss Relena."
 
"Thank you, Dorothy."
 
Dorothy left, her mind mulling over what had possibly occurred that afternoon.
 
Relena enjoyed a good soak in the bath, her mind still scheming as she lay in the warm water, her foot hanging over the edge of the tub. After she'd had her dinner she would ring the hospital and see how Heero was doing. Tomorrow morning she would contact the hospital administrator and sort this problem out, then she would pay a visit to Heero. She smiled to herself as she thought about the handsome rider, then her smile turned to a frown when the face of that vet sprang into her mind. She growled to herself. She would have to do something about him.
 
A plan began to formulate itself in her head and the more she thought about it, the more she liked it. She would get back at him for corrupting her Heero. Taking him to court on an assault charge wouldn't stick, she knew that much. That nosy sister had informed her she would stand witness on that faggot's behalf and Relena believed her. No, there had to be another way and she was sure she'd found it.
 
By the time she'd finished with Doctor Duo Maxwell he would be lucky to get a job performing autopsies. Satisfied she'd found the answer to her problem, Relena got out of the tub and began to dry herself off. She was hungry.
 
Dorothy returned to her mistress' bedroom to find Relena out of the bath, dried off and dressed in her night apparel. She was sitting at the vanity brushing her long, golden locks. Dorothy moved up behind her and took the brush from her hands and began to work it through the silky mass.
 
"Mr Kushrenada said there was an accident at the stables today, one of his riders got hurt. What happened?" Dorothy knew the best approach was the direct one; she also remembered what Treize had said about not believing everything that Relena might say.
 
"Yes, there was and it was awful. Heero was jumping one of the horses when it bolted. It tried to jump the paddock gate and fell. Heero was taken to the hospital, unconscious. I went with him."
 
Dorothy listened as Relena told her about the events of the afternoon. She knew about her mistress' fascination with the young rider, how could she not when Relena did nothing but talk about him. Dorothy sympathized with the young man though, she knew how obsessed and blinded Relena could be when she set her sights on something. She was the same when working out new breeding lines with the horses at the stud.
 
Relena's voice changed when she began the tale of what happened at the hospital and her discovery of that vet kissing her Heero. Dorothy made the right noises in the appropriate places, all the time her mind trying to filter out the fantasy from the reality. As Relena described the argument that had ensued, Dorothy understood exactly why Treize had asked her to wait until she'd heard his version of events before drawing her conclusions. There was a whole lot more to this bun fight than Relena was letting on.
 
"I'll soon sort this out though and that Maxwell creature will rue the day he ever tangled with me, or put his fairy hands on my Heero," Relena finished.
 
The words were spoken in such a cold tone that Dorothy shivered. This wasn't sounding good at all. She knew Relena, knew that the woman was more than capable of inflicting revenge on those that dared to cross her. She also had friends in high places. Dorothy hoped Treize wouldn't leave it too long before enlightening her with the real version of events. While Dorothy had never met the vet called Duo Maxwell, she had heard a little about him and understood that he was a charming person, dedicated to helping animals with a real passion. Those that had dealt with him spoke of him with high regard and nothing had ever been said about the vet's sexuality. She wondered what Relena was planning and tried to do a little fishing. "What are you planning on doing?"
 
Relena's eyes sparked. "Oh, I've got a few ideas."
 
"Going to tell me?"
 
"Not yet. I need to figure a couple of things out first."
 
"Oh."
 
Relena laughed. "Don't worry, Dorothy, once I've worked out what I'm going to do I'll let you know. That Maxwell freak is going to wonder what hit him."
 
Dorothy didn't like the sound of that at all.
 
"Is dinner ready? I'm starved."
 
"Yes, it is. I've only got to dish it up."
 
"Good. Let's go eat then."
 
***
 
The nurse returned with an orderly after a few minutes and began to prepare Heero for the transfer to the ward. She hooked the IV to the side of the bed and made sure to put Heero's chart into the holder on the end of the bed. Duo moved to the side to let the nurse do her job, his eyes never leaving Heero.
 
"All set," said the nurse.
 
"Where is it he's going?" Duo asked.
 
"Ward 21, floor six," replied the nurse.
 
"Ah. Would it be okay for our other two friends to come up to the ward as well?"
 
"Doctor Phelps said it was okay as long as you don't stay for too long," replied Nurse Stevens.
 
"Thanks. I'll go get them, they're in the waiting room."
 
"Fine. Greg and I will take Mr Yuy up now. Once you have your friends take the elevator to floor six, when you get out turn right and ask at the nurses' station for ward 21. They will point you in the right direction. We will be in room one."
 
"Thank you, nurse." Duo turned to Heero and smiled. "I'll grab Treize and Zechs and be right up."
 
"They're here?" Heero didn't know the blonde vet and his boss had arrived at the hospital.
 
"Yeah, they got here a while ago and have been keeping me sane."
 
Heero snickered.
 
"We need to move Mr Yuy now," interrupted the nurse.
 
"Sorry." Duo stepped out of the way and let the orderly and nurse wheel Heero out of the recovery room and towards the elevator before turning on his heel and going to fetch Treize and Zechs.
 
Treize couldn't help but notice the smile on Duo's face as he returned to the waiting room. "How is he?"
 
"He's doing good," replied Duo. "They're transferring him to the ward now. The doc said it would be okay for us all to go visit him as long as we don't stay too long."
 
"That's good news," replied Treize, the relief evident in his voice as he stood up. Zechs also stood and followed the tall rider from the waiting room.
 
* * *
 
The nurse directed them to Heero's room and the three paused at the door, Treize and Zechs stepping to the side to allow Duo to enter first. Nurse Stevens had finished setting up the IV and was informing the ward nurse of Heero's injuries and surgery. Once she was done, she bid them all good evening and returned to the surgical floor. The nurse that would be tending to Heero through the night introduced herself as Nurse Pollard and checked that Heero was comfortable before exiting and leaving Heero alone with his lover and two friends.
 
Duo immediately sat on the edge of the bed and took Heero's hand in his own, careful of the drip. Treize and Zechs pulled up chairs and sat beside the injured rider.
 
"How are you feeling, Heero?" Treize asked politely.
 
Heero rolled his eyes. "I swear, if anyone else asks me that I'll hit them with my cast!"
 
Duo chuckled, Zechs grinned and Treize looked a little stunned.
 
"Don't worry, he doesn't mean it," snickered Duo.
 
They sat and discussed Heero's injuries for a short while, Duo repeating what the doctor had said about Heero's arm and how long it would be in plaster for. The conversation then led them to Heero's earlier dilemma; what to do about Zero and keeping him fit.
 
"I have no idea when the camp is going to be held," stated Treize. "But you're right, Zero does need to be kept fit."
 
"I can only do so much with him on the ground lunging wise to keep him fit. He really needs to be ridden and jumped a couple of times a week. I don't know how long it will be before the doc will let me ride again. I can work him under saddle even with my arm in plaster..."
 
"Oh no you don't," Duo interrupted. "I know you're a capable rider, Heero, but what happens if Zero gets a fright and you fall off? You'll be back to square one again, only worse."
 
"I doubt that Zero would turf me off," said Heero with a huff.
 
"Maybe not intentionally, but there's always that risk." Duo ran his thumb over the back of Heero's hand.
 
"I can't see that I have much choice. Zero has to be worked and kept fit..."
 
"I'll ride him," Duo blurted out and then looked at the three faces staring at him. "What? I've ridden him before."
 
"Duo, that's a nice offer, but Zero needs to be worked properly, not just hacking around the bush tracks. Jumping uses a lot of muscle and Zero needs to keep those muscles toned," said Treize gently. He didn't want to offend the vet, but he needed to point out the importance of the correct work regime for a showjumper.
 
Heero looked thoughtful for a moment and then spoke. "Actually, that's not a bad idea."
 
"Huh?" Treize looked at the injured rider. "What are you scheming now?"
 
"Duo has ridden Zero before so he knows the horse and the horse knows him. I think if Duo was to ride him each day in the paddock and I supervised, between the two of us we should be able to keep Zero fit enough. Although there is one other thing."
 
"And that would be?" Treize asked raising an eyebrow.
 
"Zero is going to need to be jumped a couple of times a week to keep him in form."
 
Duo paled a little at that. He knew he could ride well enough to control Zero on the flat and with Heero there as well it would be easier, but jumping? Duo hadn't learnt how to jump properly and to be honest, he wasn't interested. He enjoyed riding through the bush and at home in the paddock on Scythe; but jumping?
 
"While Duo is capable of working Zero on the flat, he isn't capable of jumping him," Heero said. "Treize? If I could ask a favor, do you think you would have the time to come over once or twice a week and put Zero over the jumps?"
 
Treize was stunned for a moment and stared at the other man. "You would trust me to jump Zero?"
 
Heero snorted. "Treize, you're a top rider, far better than me, why wouldn't I trust you?"
 
Treize smiled. "I'd love to jump him for you, Heero." Treize knew he wouldn't mind, he'd admired Heero's horse for some time and had often wondered what it would be like to ride and jump the gray; now he was getting that chance.
 
"Thank you, Treize, and you to, Duo." Heero smiled and then yawned. His head was beginning to ache and his shoulder to throb. Looked like the painkillers were starting to wear off.
 
Duo sensed his partner's discomfort and gave him a worried look. "Your arm hurting?"
 
"Yeah, a little."
 
"I'll call the nurse." Duo got up and went to locate the call button to push for the nurse.
 
"Thanks." Heero yawned again.
 
Seeing the yawn, Treize stood up. "I think we should be going and leave you to rest, Heero. We can discuss Zero a little more once you're out of here and arrange when it would be best for me to come over and jump him."
 
"Thanks, Treize." Heero's eyes focused on his boss and he lowered his voice a little. "Treize, I'm sorry about Taurus. Duo told me what happened. He was a good animal and didn't deserve this. I wish I could have stopped him..."
 
"Heero, that's enough," Treize growled softly. "This wasn't your fault so don't you dare think it was. If anything I should have had more sense than to allow Relena to come to the jumping paddock in the first place. No, this was just an accident, one of those things, you did everything possible to stop him, hell, I doubt even I would have been able to stop him. I'm just sorry that you also got hurt."
 
Heero could read the emotions in Treize's eyes and knew the man was barely holding onto his grief at the loss of such an animal. He could also hear the sincerity in Treize's voice. "I'm sorry," he repeated and then lowered his eyes.
 
Feeling the emotions rising in the room, Zechs stood and walked over to the bed, stopping just behind and to the side of Treize. "Get some rest, Heero. Good luck, I hope you're out of here soon and back in the saddle before long."
 
"Thank you, Zechs," replied Heero. "And thank you for taking care of Taurus and for coming in here."
 
"My pleasure. You concentrate on getting better. I'll keep in touch with Duo as to your progress."
 
Heero nodded.
 
With that the pair bade Duo goodnight and took their leave. Duo watched as they left, an amused smile playing on his face as he observed the blonde vet discreetly place his hand on Treize's lower back and guide him along the corridor towards the elevator. The nurse had come and was giving Heero another painkiller. Duo walked back into the room just as she was finishing up checking Heero's vitals. She gave the young man a smile as she put the blood pressure machine to the side and tucked Heero's blankets back around him.
 
"Anything I can get you, Mr Yuy?"
 
"No, thank you."
 
The nurse turned to Duo. "I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask you to leave in a few minutes. Mr Yuy needs to rest and visiting hours finished an hour ago."
 
"No problem, I will be on my way just as soon as I've said goodnight," Duo smiled at the nurse.
 
The nurse left, Duo stepped over to the bed again and ran his fingers lightly across Heero's forehead, brushing his bangs to the side and staring into the deep blue of his lover's eyes. "You sure you're okay, Heero?"
 
"I'll be fine, Duo. I'm sorry for all this trouble."
 
"Don't be. You didn't plan for this to happen." Duo leaned in and stole a kiss.
 
"Mmm... I like your kind of nursing, Doctor Maxwell," murmured Heero.
 
Duo chuckled. "I have a lovely bedside manner."
 
"You also have a lovely in bed manner too."
 
"Heero!"
 
Heero grinned. "Go home, Duo. There's nothing you can do for me here and you need rest as well. You have a practice to run and the horses to take care of."
 
Duo's eyes softened and he partook of another kiss, Heero returning the kiss and deepening it. "Love you, Heero."
 
"I love you too, Duo. Now, shoo. Go home and get some sleep." Heero's eyes were beginning to droop.
 
"I'll be back tomorrow."
 
"Look forward to it."
 
"Night, Heero." Duo gave his lover another kiss and then took his leave.
 
Heero was almost asleep, the painkillers the nurse had given him were doing their job and the throbbing had eased. Now all Heero felt was an overwhelming tiredness. His eyes slipped shut and his mind closed down as sleep took him.
 
Duo smiled as he watched his partner drift off. Once he knew Heero was asleep he left the hospital and headed back home. He had a practice to sort out, as well as horses and a routine to organize. He didn't know how long Heero would be in the hospital for, but he wanted to spend as much time with his boyfriend as he could.
 
***
 
Zechs escorted Treize out of the hospital and to the car park. He walked Treize to his car and paused as the man unlocked the vehicle. Treize turned to the blonde vet and gave a deep sigh.
 
"It's been a long day, you need to go home and rest," said Zechs softly.
 
Treize ran his fingers through his hair and raised his eyes to meet those sapphire ones. "That it has. Thank you for all your help today, not just with Taurus, but for staying with me and bringing me to the hospital..."
 
"Shhh..." Zechs put his finger over Treize's lips to stop the flow of words. "There's no need to thank me. You've been through a very emotional time and I was glad I could be there to offer some support. Besides, I had my own, selfish reasons for staying."
 
"Oh?"
 
"It gave me the chance to spend some time with you, get to know you a little better," replied Zechs, his voice low and husky. He raised his hand to Treize's cheek and rested the palm against it. Treize leaned into the touch. "I'll call you tomorrow."
 
"That would be nice."
 
They stood in silence for a moment before Zechs took the initiative and closed the distance between them. Lips brushed fleetingly against lips sending tingles coursing along Treize's spine and then the touch was gone.
 
"Until tomorrow," Zechs said softly then removed his hand from Treize's cheek and turned on his heel to go to his own car.
 
Treize remained standing for a moment, watching the elegant figure walk away before getting in his car and starting it up. The brief touch of lips against his own had been unexpected, but welcome. With a slightly lighter heart, Treize set off for his home.
 
* * *
 
Duo arrived back at his home to find the horses all rugged up and fed, surgery locked up and Hilde and Catherine waiting for him in the kitchen. The smell of food assaulted his nostrils as he entered causing his stomach to growl. He hadn't realized how hungry he was. Catherine took charge of him, sending him to wash his hands while she dished up the food.
 
Sitting down to a bowl of hot beef stew, Duo answered the women's questions and gave them the full run down on Heero's condition. He told them what he knew of the fall and subsequent death of Taurus, of Treize and Zechs' support at the hospital and tried to hedge around the argument he'd had with Relena.
 
Hilde wasn't fooled for a moment and soon dragged the sorry tale from Duo. When he'd finished relating what had happened, Catherine insisted on looking at his shin and making sure for herself that he was okay. In one way it was nice to have someone fussing over him, especially after all the emotional upsets he'd gone through. He let the girls mother him as much as they liked.
 
Hilde wasn't happy with the way Duo had been treated by Relena and voiced her opinions - loudly. Duo was grateful Hilde hadn't been present as no doubt she would have ripped the woman limb from limb. Catherine also voiced her disapproval, only being a more gentle person she wasn't quite so vehement as Hilde.
 
Duo was too tired to argue with either of them, he wouldn't have won anyway so there wasn't any point. Instead he managed to change the topic, asking about the horses and consults. Catherine and Hilde filled him in on the clients from the evening and passed on the many kind wishes for a speedy recovery to Heero from many of the clients. Knowing that Heero was likely to be in the hospital for a few days and that Duo would want to spend as much time as he could with his partner, Catherine and Hilde had reworked the roster to give Duo that time.
 
Duo felt the emotion rising in his chest again and had to choke back the lump in his throat. He knew he had good friends, but just how loyal and good they were was now being revealed fully to him. He didn't know how he would have coped without them. They sat over coffee discussing a few things before the girls made their way out and to their respective homes. Hilde would be back in the morning to handle the consults for the day leaving Duo free to see to the horses and then go to the hospital. Trowa and Quatre would come by in the evening and bring the horses in again, allowing Duo to stay at the hospital until visiting time finished.
 
Duo did a quick check of the horses, feeding them each a goodnight carrot and then locked up the stable block. He made his way back to the house through the cool night air and checked everything was off and locked up. He took a quick shower and then tumbled into bed, exhausted. Sleep didn't come easily though. Having been with Heero for so long now, Duo missed his partner's body in the bed next to him, missed the warmth, missed the cuddling. His heart ached with longing and eventually he grabbed Heero's pillow, hugging it close and breathing in the scent of his lover. Gradually fatigue crept over him and took him into a dreamless sleep.
 
* * *
 
Treize picked at the meal Jenny had left for him, he really didn't have an appetite. Having forced down enough of the meal to appease his housekeeper, Treize went through to his study. He needed to call Relena's and see how the woman was doing. He also needed to give Dorothy the proper version of events and see what Relena had come up with regarding her version. Picking up the handset, Treize dialed the number of the Peacecraft manor.
 
"Peacecraft manor, Dorothy speaking."
 
"Ah, Dorothy."
 
"Treize! About time you called. I've been waiting on a knife edge here for you to ring and tell me exactly what happened."
 
Treize gave a smile. He knew what Dorothy was like and so it didn't surprise him that she would be chomping at the bit to know exactly what had happened. Taking a deep breath, he told her all that had occurred that afternoon, from Taurus bolting to the argument between Duo and Relena.
 
Dorothy listened quietly, allowing Treize to speak at his own pace and enlighten her. She found several differences between Relena's story and the one Treize was telling her now. That didn't surprise her though, she knew Relena well enough not to believe everything her boss told her.
 
When Treize had finished talking, Dorothy found she had lot of information to wade through. She could sympathize with Treize over the loss of the horse and injury to one of his riders. She felt annoyed with Relena for having been so thoughtless and cause such a tragic accident. What really got to her though was the argument that had taken place. Treize hadn't been able to give her a lot of information on the argument as he'd only walked in on it towards the end. He did fill in gaps with what Duo Maxwell had told him and Dorothy was more inclined to believe Treize than Relena.
 
This obsession her boss had with the dark rider wasn't healthy, for any of them. It was obvious after Treize's words that the vet and the rider were in love, were a couple, and yet Relena couldn't see that; or rather, didn't want to see it. Dorothy sighed. She was starting to get a headache.
 
What concerned Dorothy the most now though was what her boss could possibly be planning. "Treize, thanks for filling me in. Relena gave me her version earlier, but after hearing yours I'm inclined to believe you over her. This obsession she has isn't good."
 
"No, it isn't," replied Treize. "I was hoping to come over tomorrow and try to have a talk with her, try to get her to see that Heero isn't interested in her and maybe she will get it and leave the guy alone."
 
"You're welcome to try, although I don't think it will do a lot of good," began Dorothy. "I can also try and talk to her. I've never met either of these men, but from what you've told me they seem to be very happy with each other."
 
"They are."
 
"Look, Treize. I'll be honest with you, I don't support same sex couples, but I don't condemn them either. I think everyone has a right to live and love whom they please and I prefer to stay neutral on this issue, however," Dorothy paused for a moment. "However, I do not believe in someone being victimized simply because they choose to share their life with a partner of the same sex."
 
"I can understand and respect your views, Dorothy."
 
"Thank you. Now, I need to tell you something."
 
"Oh?"
 
"It's Relena. She's still convinced that this Heero fellow is the right guy for her and equally determined that Duo is trying to corrupt him. She's up to something, planning some sort of revenge and frankly, I'm worried. Relena has friends in high places and while she hasn't confided in me yet what it is she proposes to do, I'd be warning that vet to be careful. I'd hate to see anything happen to him simply because Relena can't accept that the man she wants is gay."
 
Treize remained silent for a moment, thinking over Dorothy's words. "Thanks for the warning, Dorothy. I'll be sure to let Doctor Maxwell know to be aware."
 
"No problem, Treize. If I can find out any more I'll let you know."
 
"That would be great. Meanwhile, I'll let Duo know what's going on. Keep in touch, Dorothy."
 
"I will. You too, Treize, and good luck."
 
"Bye." Treize hung up the 'phone and reclined back in his chair. His eyes closed as he thought on Dorothy's words. He had been right then in his assumption that Relena was plotting something in the taxi on the way back from the hospital. If only he knew what it was he could possibly stop it before it happened.
 
Treize got up and poured himself a scotch. The amber fluid burnt a trail down his gullet as he sipped on it, the fire welcome. No matter how hard he tried, he couldn't think what Relena would do. He was pretty certain she wouldn't be pressing any charges for assault, she wasn't that stupid knowing there were witnesses to testify otherwise. No, it had to be something a little more devious. But what?
 
Treize picked up the 'phone again and called Duo's number. A slightly sleepy voice answered him and Treize looked guiltily at the clock. "Duo, it's Treize. I'm sorry to call you this late, I didn't realize the time."
 
"S'okay. What's up?"
 
Treize proceeded to fill Duo in on his conversation with Dorothy. He didn't want to scare Duo, but he wanted the vet to be aware that the woman was plotting against him.
 
Duo was grateful for the call and forewarning. "Thanks, Treize. No idea what it is she's planning?"
 
"No, I don't, but Dorothy did say she would let me know if she found out. All I can suggest is that you be careful."
 
"I will. I don't know what she hopes to gain though. Heero's not interested in her at all."
 
"I know." Treize gave a sigh. "I'm going to try and talk some sense into her tomorrow."
 
"Okay. Good luck."
 
"Thanks. Good night and I'm sorry again for the late call."
 
"No problem, Treize, I appreciate the warning. Night."
 
* * *
 
Relena was up bright and early the next morning. She washed and dressed then headed for the kitchen to make herself a cup of tea. She drank the tea down, staring out the kitchen window at the wakening day, smiling at the birds as they flitted over the grass in search of insects. Once the tea was gone, Relena hobbled through to her office and picked up the 'phone. She dialed the number of the hospital and waited to be connected.
 
Five minutes later she replaced the receiver and growled softly. Her anger was starting to rise again. The hospital refused to connect her to Heero's room, instead they had put her through to the nurses' station. All they would tell her was that Heero was comfortable and nothing more. When she inquired as to their visiting hours, she was informed Mr Yuy was restricted to certain visitors only and as her name didn't appear on the list she wouldn't be allowed to visit.
 
To say she wasn't happy would be an understatement. This was all that vet's fault, him and his homosexual ways. She looked at the clock, the hospital administrator should be in so she called him.
 
Ten minutes later, Relena wore a face like thunder. Nothing she had said had convinced the administrator that she should be allowed to visit Heero. He'd cited protocol, regulations and the following of patient's wishes in his defense of the hospital and staff. Relena had argued, threatened even, but the administrator stood firm. He didn't like arguing with the woman and had done his best to keep his temper in check as he'd explained the rules to her. Even when she threatened him with his job he wouldn't be swayed.
 
Relena had hung up on him.
 
Realizing she wasn't going to get her way and visit Heero any time soon, Relena's eyes narrowed and she thought about her revenge on the vet. A smile creased her lips and she reached for the 'phone directory. She skimmed through the pages, locating the name and number she needed before dialing. The call connected and the 'phone began to ring. Relena waited patiently for it to be picked up.
 
"Australian Veterinary Board. How can I help you?"
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...