Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 34 ( Chapter 34 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne? Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
Time, Fault and Out
 
November 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 34
 
"I think he may have twisted a bowel."
 
The words struck Walker like a thunderbolt and the groom closed his eyes for a moment. His heart plummeted and he swallowed hard before managing to find his voice and speak. "Can you help him?"
 
That was the million dollar question.
 
"I will certainly do all I can in my power to help him," replied Zechs. "Firstly I'll give him a shot to alleviate the pain, then I want to drench him. There's always the chance that he hasn't twisted a bowel yet and if that's the case then the oil should shift the blockage." Without waiting for Walker to reply, Zechs headed back to his car and fetched the items he would need. Returning, he looked around. "You don't have a crush, do you?"
 
"No, we don't."
 
"Okay, I guess we will have to hope he doesn't get too upset with the drenching then." A crush was a vet's best friend when it came to treating large animals. It prevented the animal from hurting either itself or the people treating it. Zechs didn't have time though to wish for one, this horse needed treating and now. Swabbing an area on the gray's sweating neck, Zechs injected a muscle relaxant and pain killer. Capping the needle he placed it into the sharps container he carried in the car. While he waited for the injections to take effect, Zechs poured the paraffin oil into the bucket he'd brought with him and dropped the clear, plastic hose in as well. Finished with his preparations, Zechs turned to the groom. "Let's see if we can get him over there by the wall, that way we will have a bit of support both for him and for us."
 
Between the three of them they were able to persuade the swaying horse to walk the few steps to the wall. Peacemillion gave another groan and tried to go down and roll again, Walker only just managing to stop him. Zechs knew things were getting crucial and he needed to get the oil into the horse's insides as quickly as possible if he was to have any chance of saving the horse.
 
Approaching the stallion with the bucket and oil, Zechs removed the plastic tube and grasped the horse's muzzle firmly. The drugs had begun to work and the stallion submitted to the vet's actions. Carefully Zechs began to pass the tube into the gray's nostril, easing it along the delicate lining until he came upon the resistance of the horse's epiglottis. Feeling carefully at Peacemillion's throat, Zechs coaxed the tube further forward, fiddling slightly until Peacemillion swallowed and he was able to push the tube through the epiglottis and down the gullet to the stallion's stomach. Once he deemed the tube to be in place, Zechs took the remaining tube, found the end and blew softly into it to determine if it was in the horse's stomach and not the lungs. He listened carefully to the gurgling sound that came back, confirming the tube was definitely in the stomach.
 
"Hold him steady," Zechs said as he reached for the small hand pump in the bucket and attached the hose to it. With the apparatus now in place, Zechs began the task of pumping the oil through the tube and into the horse's stomach. Once the bucket was empty Zechs began to pull the tube from the gray's nostril, being careful not to damage the fragile inner lining. Tube removed, Zechs turned to the groom. "Now all we can do is walk him around and wait."
 
Grimly, Walker nodded and assisted Tommy with getting the animal to move.
 
***
 
Morning consults had finished and Heero gave a sigh of relief as he closed the door and locked it. It was Catherine's day off and he was playing the role of receptionist. Absently he scratched at the plaster cast on his right arm, the skin was itchy but unfortunately he couldn't get to it properly to ease the itch. He would be glad when the damn thing was removed. He consoled himself with the thought that it would only be another three weeks and he would be rid of the cumbersome thing. Wandering back into the reception area he quickly finished off the last of the client files and switched the computer to stand-by mode. Luckily he could still work with one hand on the keyboard, Catherine, Hilde or Duo doing any of the writing side that needed to be done.
 
He was looking forward to some lunch with his lover and then working with Zero in the afternoon. Treize was calling over to jump the gray and Heero was pleased with the way the stallion was performing. With Duo's exercising Zero on the flat and then Treize jumping him twice a week, the horse was holding good muscle tone and keeping his form. Duo didn't have anything booked in for surgery so barring any emergency or call outs, the afternoon was theirs to spend as they wished. Once Zero had been worked, Heero was hoping to enjoy a little quality time with his boyfriend.
 
He'd missed the intimate contact with Duo. Not only did his broken arm cause minor problems but this case with Relena didn't help much in the libido stakes either. Heero wanted to change that. He was drawn from his musings when a soft kiss was planted on his cheek and he turned his head to see the long haired vet smiling softly at him.
 
"I hope they're happy thoughts you're having."
 
"How could they be anything else when it's you I'm thinking about?" Heero replied.
 
Duo's smile widened and he swooped in for another kiss; this time taking Heero's lips. "All done here?"
 
"Yeah. There's a couple of things that need your signature on them but other than that everything is loaded onto Nrobbuts' database."
 
"Thanks. I'll sign the paperwork later. I've finished cleaning up," said Duo as he removed his white coat and hung it on the back of the door. "Hungry?" Duo asked.
 
"Starving."
 
"Then let's go grab some lunch."
 
The pair departed for the house and food.
 
***
 
Zechs looked at his watch again. Ten minutes had passed since he'd drenched Peacemillion with the oil and so far nothing had happened. The feeling of unease continued to build in Zechs and he reached for his stethoscope again. He checked the stallion's heart and breathing rates again. Temperature was taken and then Zechs listened to the gray's insides once more.
 
Nothing had changed.
 
The heart and breathing rates were still accelerated but not gotten any worse due to the drugs Zechs had administered. The temperature had risen a touch but the gray's insides were still silent. Zechs didn't like it one bit. "I'm going to give him another couple of liters of oil," he told Walker. Zechs didn't think the oil would make much difference and he decided that after this dose, if the horse hadn't started to make some internal sounds or passed any manure he would have to conclude that the gut was twisted.
 
The tube was passed down into the horse's stomach and the oil administered. Peacemillion made no objection to anything the human's did to him, he was too locked up in his own misery to care. Tommy and Walker began to walk the horse again.
 
Zechs replaced the items in his car as he waited for any sign of improvement in the stallion. He didn't hold much hope and if the horse had twisted a gut then there were two options. Zechs forced them to the back of his mind and pushed the humane killer to the side of the box in the trunk of his car.
 
Fifteen minutes passed and still no sign that the oil was having any effect. Zechs did his checks and wasn't surprised when he didn't hear anything signaling that the digestive system had started to work coming from inside the stallion. He hadn't expected to. With a heavy sigh he turned to the groom and stable hand. "This isn't working. The oil should have had an effect by now but there's nothing. I'm pretty certain he has a twisted bowel."
 
Walker paled. "Is there anything else you can do for him? He's one of Miss Peacecraft's top sires."
 
"There's two choices here," began Zechs, "The first is to put him down, something I'd prefer not to do. The second is to operate, find the twist and rectify it."
 
"You can do that?"
 
"Yes, we can. Surgery on equines has advanced dramatically over the past few years. We have performed several operations to correct a twisted bowel. There are risks though."
 
"What are the risks?" Walker asked, latching onto the one glimmer of hope that remained.
 
"The biggest one is shock. As you know, horses don't take kindly to anesthesia and there is the risk of the animal going into shock and not coming out of it. Then there is the operation itself. It's a large operation and depending on the twist to the bowel, if the tissue has died, how much is affected, things like that can all affect the outcome. Then there is the cost as well. This sort of operation is not cheap."
 
"What is the success rate?"
 
"Currently we have a seventy-five percent survival rate; but that all depends on the internal damage. We could go in and operate, remove the twist and have the horse pull through okay only to lose him later to infection or shock."
 
"Given the alternative, I'd like you to operate, Doctor Merquise." Walker gently pulled the stallion's ears.
 
"I will need the consent of the owner before I can go ahead and operate."
 
"I'll call Miss Peacecraft now." Walker left to go make the call. He dialed the number of Relena's cell and waited.
 
"I'm sorry, the number you have called is either switched off or not in a receptive area. Please try again later."
 
"Shit!" Walker cursed as he heard the recorded message. He tried again only to get the same message. Now what to do? Walking back out to the vet, Walker pondered the situation and then gave a sigh of relief. He looked the vet in the eye and spoke. "I tried Miss Peacecraft's cell but she's either got it turned off or there's no signal."
 
"Damn! We really need to get this horse to surgery, the longer we wait the slimmer his chances."
 
"I'll give you consent though." Walker anticipated what the vet was going to say and beat him to it. "I'm the head groom here and when Miss Peacecraft isn't available to make decisions regarding the horses then I have the authority to do so on her behalf."
 
"Are you sure?" Zechs asked. He didn't want to be nit picky but he couldn't just go carving into a valuable animal without consent. If the horse died and the owner hadn't signed consent then he could find himself in some serious trouble.
 
"I have it in my employment contract. Don't worry, Doctor Merquise, I'll sign the consent forms, you won't have a problem at all as I have the authority in black and white, signed by both Miss Peacecraft and myself. I know she would give consent if I was able to contact her."
 
"Okay then. Do you have a horse float?"
 
"Yes."
 
"Good. Go hitch it up and we can get the horse into it. I'll need to take him back to the hospital to operate."
 
Walker left to fetch his car and hitch up the float. While he was gone, Zechs called the surgery to let them know what was happening and to have someone prep the operating room for him.
 
"Oakford Equine Hospital. How may I help you?"
 
"Zoe, it's Zechs. Look, this colic case I was called out to, it looks like the horse has twisted a bowel. I'm going to need to operate. Can you organize to have the theater prepped and ready for me? I'll also need a couple of the nurses to help out and Doctor Alves to assist. I'll be transporting the patient shortly and will call with an ETA once I'm on the road."
 
"Damn! Doctor Merquise? I'm afraid that won't be possible."
 
"What?"
 
"The theater is already in use. Doctor Alves had an emergency as well. A horse staked itself through the throat and he's currently operating to repair the damage to the trachea, gullet and surrounding tissues. He won't be finished for at least another two hours yet."
 
"Fuck!" Zechs swore and rubbed his face. He didn't need this, not now.
 
"I can call Ascot Equine hospital and see if we can use their operating theater."
 
Zechs mentally recalled Ascot's practice and noted the distance they would have to travel. "No good. It's too far and the horse wouldn't make it."
 
"I don't know of anywhere else that's close that has an operating facility big enough for what you need, Doctor Merquise."
 
"Of course!" Zechs slapped his forehead.
 
"Doctor Merquise?"
 
"It's okay, Zoe. I think I know of a practice that could help out. Leave it with me and I'll see what I can do."
 
"Okay. Good luck."
 
"Thanks." Zechs disconnected the call and quickly punched in another number.
 
"Maxwell Veterinary Hospital."
 
"Duo?"
 
"Zechs? Good to hear from you buddy. What's up?"
 
"Duo? I need your help..."
 
* * *
 
Duo and Heero had just finished their lunch, Duo stacking the dishes in the sink ready to wash up when the 'phone rang. Wiping his hands on the dishtowel, Duo went through to the lounge to answer it.
 
"Maxwell Veterinary Practice," he said as he sat on the sofa next to Heero, smiling softly as Heero's left arm wound around his waist. Hearing Zechs' voice on the other end, Duo quickly sat up. "Zechs? Good to hear from you buddy. What's up?" Duo could sense there was something wrong simply from Zechs' voice. It held an edge to it.
 
Zechs began to explain his predicament to Duo. "I'm sure this horse has twisted a gut and if I don't operate soon he's going to die for sure. Problem is, our theater is currently in use for another emergency. The only other one is at Ascot and the horse won't last the distance. I remembered you have a large operating theater and I was hoping I could borrow it to perform the surgery."
 
"Of course you can, Zechs. It's not in use right now so bring the animal right over."
 
"Duo? Would you mind if I asked you to assist? Doctor Alves is operating back at Oakford and Doctor Sharpe is on vacation. I can't do this by myself, I need assistance."
 
"I'd be happy to assist you, Zechs. I'll go start prepping the theater now for you."
 
"There's one other thing, Duo."
 
"Oh?"
 
"This horse, it's one of Relena Peacecraft's. Her stallion Peacemillion."
 
Duo was silent for a moment and then spoke. "Okay. Look, Zechs, I won't pretend here. I don't like that woman and I'd prefer to have nothing to do with her. However, that argument is between me and her, this isn't the horse's fault and I can't let an animal suffer if I can help it. How long until you get here?"
 
"About half an hour."
 
"Come straight to the stables, I'll have everything ready to go."
 
"Duo?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"Thank you. I owe you big time."
 
"Just remember I'm doing this for the horse, Zechs, not that pink maniac."
 
"I understand. I'll see you soon."
 
The line went dead and Duo slowly hung up the phone, deep in thought.
 
"What's going on?" Heero asked from the side. He'd gathered there was some sort of emergency.
 
"That was Zechs, he needs to use the theater to operate on a horse with a twisted bowel." Duo turned to face his lover. "The horse is Peacemillion."
 
"Fuck!"
 
"My sentiments exactly," replied Duo.
 
"Why can't he use Oakford's theater?"
 
Duo explained what Zechs had told him over the phone.
 
Heero shook his head and then his eyes widened. "I wonder what Relena thinks about this?"
 
"I don't give a rat's ass what she thinks, I'm only doing this for Zechs and the horse, not her. Speaking of which, I'd better get my butt down to the stables and prep the operating theater."
 
"I'll come and help. Well, as much help as I can be with this thing." Heero indicated the cast on his arm.
 
"Thanks." Duo gave his boyfriend a soft kiss. "Let's go, they will be here soon."
 
* * *
 
Walker, Tommy and Zechs managed to get Peacemillion into the float after a lot of shoving, pushing and grunting. Zechs gave the stallion another shot of painkiller and deemed them ready to go. He told Walker of the change of venue for the surgery and once he was sure the groom knew where to go, Zechs jumped into his own car and drove ahead to help Duo prepare for their patient.
 
Walker tried again to reach Relena and got the same message. He knew the woman had gone to the hospital to have the cast removed from her foot so he assumed she'd turned her phone off whilst in the hospital. What time she was due back though was anyone's guess. Right now Walker had more pressing issues to deal with; he'd try to contact his boss again once Peacemillion was being taken care of.
 
Duo fetched a fresh set of instruments from the dispensary and took them through to the operating theater. Heero looked up from where he was checking the rolls of cat gut, making sure there would be enough there for suturing. Duo set the instruments down and checked the cylinders to the side that held oxygen and anesthetic. They were mainly used as a back up, intravenous anesthetic being the method they tended to use on large animals. Satisfied that there was enough in the tanks should the need arise to use them, Duo began to set the operating table up ready for the horse, tilting it onto its side and swinging the overhead slings into place.
 
Being such a large animal one could not physically lift a horse onto an operating table and so a set of slings, along with the tilting table was the general method employed.
 
"All set?"
 
Duo turned to face Heero. "Almost. I need to fetch the drugs and that should be it." Duo went to step out of the theater, Heero right behind him.
 
"I think that's Zechs," said Heero as he listened to the sound of an approaching car. Stepping out of the stable block, Heero noted the vehicle coming down the driveway.
 
Zechs pulled up and jumped out of the car. "Hi, Heero. Sorry about all this."
 
"No problem, Zechs. Duo's inside, he's just finished setting everything up. You might want to check it all yourself though to make sure we have everything you'll need."
 
"Thanks. Walker shouldn't be too far behind me with the float and horse. I just hope we're not too late."
 
"I'll wait out here for them and call you when they arrive. You go get scrubbed up."
 
Zechs gave a warm smile and entered the stable block. He found Duo in the small dispensary scrubbing up. Duo was already dressed in his surgical greens.
 
"Hey, Zechs."
 
"Duo. I don't know how to thank you for this."
 
Duo gave a wave of his hand. "No thanks needed, Zechs."
 
"I know this must be awkward for you, Peacemillion being Relena's horse and with the circumstances what they are." Zechs didn't get the chance to say anything further, Duo cut him off.
 
"I'm doing this for the horse, Zechs, not for that woman. Now, I have a set of surgical scrubs over there if you want to use them. I don't know how they will go for fit though, I'm a bit smaller than you, although they were a couple of sizes too big for me if I remember correctly."
 
"Thanks." Zechs grabbed the scrubs and removed his jacket, shirt and pants, slipping into the scrubs and pulling the ties together. They were a little short in the leg, stopping just above Zechs' ankles while the top fitted fine.
 
"Everything's set in theater, I'd like you to double check though. Anything else you need let me know."
 
Zechs nodded and went to check. All appeared to be as he needed and he again sent a silent prayer of thanks.
 
"Horse is here!" Heero yelled from outside and both Duo and Zechs went out to help get Peacemillion off the float and into the operating theater.
 
Out in the paddocks, Zero, Scythe and little Shini cocked their ears in interest at the approaching float. As the float pulled up, all three horses trotted over to their respective fences to get a look at the 'newcomer'. Zero let fly with a loud neigh as he scented another stallion, Shinigami added his own softer neigh to the mix while Scythe simply gave a few low wuffles.
 
Walker brought the float to a stop where Heero indicated and cut the car's engine. He was quickly out of the driver's seat and around to the back to release the tail gate. Heero was waiting for him and Walker gave the young rider a nod. He remembered Heero from when Treize had brought him out to the stud with him soon after Peacemillion had arrived from Europe.
 
"How are you, Heero?"
 
"I'm doing okay," replied Heero. "Sorry to hear about Peacemillion, but I'm sure that Zechs and Duo will be able to take care of him." As Heero finished speaking so Zechs and Duo appeared from inside the stable block.
 
"Walker, I'd like you to meet Doctor Duo Maxwell. He's kindly allowed me to use his operating facilities and offered to assist me."
 
Walker shook Duo's hand. "I can't thank you enough for this, Doctor Maxwell."
 
"My pleasure," replied Duo. "Now, let's get this horse off the float and inside, every minute counts here." Duo moved to the side to allow Walker and Zechs to lower the tail gate.
 
Walker disappeared inside to bring the horse out, Zechs was relieved to find the animal still standing. Out in the paddock, Zero was trotting up and down the fence line, his ears pricked and eyes firmly fixed on the float. He knew there was another stallion in there and while Zero didn't normally bother about other horses when out competing, this was different. This was his home turf and he had a mare here, as well as one of his offspring.
 
Heero watched his horse, a smile of amusement on his face. Duo turned to see where Heero's gaze was and smiled to himself when he saw the display Zero was putting on. The stallion had his tail kinked up over his back and was literally bouncing over the ground, his trot steps light and springy.
 
"Someone's showing off," Duo commented.
 
Heero chuckled. "He's just trying to impress the newcomer. It's all to do with staking a claim and marking your territory so to speak."
 
Duo shifted a little closer to Heero and ran his fingers along Heero's spine, pausing at his rear to give a gentle squeeze to those enticing buttocks. "I know how he feels."
 
Heero squirmed and gave a soft moan. "Looks like someone else wants to stake their claim too,” he murmured.
 
Duo snickered and leaned over to capture Heero's lips in a chaste kiss. "I also intend to mark my territory later."
 
Heero moaned again. "You can mark me anytime, Duo."
 
They pulled apart as Peacemillion began to come down the ramp with unsteady steps and Duo went to one side of the horse while Zechs took the other to assist the animal and keep him straight. Once Peacemillion was off the float, Duo got his first good look at the state of the horse. His eyes narrowed and a frown etched his features. Heero was also stunned by the appearance of the horse. Gone was the proud stallion, replaced by this creature that hung its head, flanks heaving, dried sweat and dirt matting the coat and a dull look in the eyes.
 
"Shit, you weren't joking, Zechs, when you said he was in a bad way." Duo's experienced eyes roamed the body of the stallion. "Come on, we need to get him inside and start operating right away. He doesn't look like he has much time."
 
To Heero it looked as if the horse was already too far gone and his heart twisted. Despite his dislike of Relena, he would never wish this suffering upon an animal. Heero wasn't able to help much with getting the horse inside, he could only use the one arm and Duo gave him a look that clearly said 'don't you dare help, I don't want you getting hurt again'. Heero opted to make sure that the pathway was clear.
 
Slowly Peacemillion managed to stagger into the operating theater where Duo immediately began to organize the slings and with Zechs' assistance, got them into place and around the horse's girth area and flanks.
 
"I'd like to give him a little of the anesthetic and once he starts to sway I can maneuver the table into position before giving him the rest,” said Duo as he checked the horse's position in relation to the operating table.
 
With Walker standing at the stallion's head, Zechs fetched the anesthetic and swabbed a spot on Peacemillion's neck. He slipped the needle in and began to inject the anesthetic. Duo stood to the side, Heero with him ready to move the table.
 
Peacemillion's legs began to buckle slightly, the slings taking his weight so he didn't fall. Once they could see which way the horse was tending to lean, Duo and Heero maneuvered the operating table into position.
 
"Give him the rest now, Zechs. As he starts to go under, Heero will keep the table steady and in place, I'll operate the slings to bring him onto the table." Duo moved to the mechanism that operated the hydraulics for the slings.
 
With everyone in place, Zechs administered the rest of the anesthetic.
 
Peacemillion began to feel funny. His legs didn't want to take his weight anymore and his sight began to blur. He felt the constant pain easing a little and he grunted softly. He closed his eyes as the world of pain around him slipped away and he sank into unconsciousness.
 
The slings tightened as the horse began to go limp; Duo pushed the buttons and began to operate the little 'joy stick'. The slings lifted, raising the horse up as Heero maneuvered the operating table forward and slightly underneath the unconscious animal. Duo continued to move the joy stick, the slings obeying and within a minute the horse was lying on his side on the table, Heero quick to bring the table back into a horizontal position and at the right height for the two vets to be able to operate.
 
"Right. Let's get started," said Zechs. "Walker, there is no need for you to be in here, please wait outside."
 
Heero took Walker by the arm and led him to the operating room door. "Come on, I'll take you up to the house and make you a coffee. This is going to take a while and we will only be in the way."
 
Walker nodded numbly and unclipped the lead rope from the sleeping stallion's halter. "Please, do everything you can for him. Not because he's valuable, but because..." Walker swallowed the lump in his throat. "He's special."
 
Zechs gave the groom's arm a squeeze. "I understand. We will do all that we can. Go with Heero and try to relax. We will call you when it's all over."
 
Walker nodded and began to leave. Heero turned to Duo who was slipping on his latex gloves. He didn't need to say anything, the contact they made with their eyes said it all. Duo gave his lover a reassuring smile and then fixed his concentration firmly on the horse and the operation ahead.
 
* * *
 
Heero took Walker up to the house and made him a strong coffee. They sat opposite each other at the kitchen table, Walker brooding while Heero was unable to find the right words to comfort the groom. After a few minutes silence with only the ticking of the clock to break it, Walker spoke.
 
"I hope they can help him."
 
Heero looked up at the softly spoken words. He knew the groom was upset and genuinely cared for the stallion. "If I know Duo he will do everything he possibly can to help him, Zechs too. Have faith in them, they're both very skilled vets and if anyone can save Peacemillion it will be those two."
 
"Thanks." Walker still looked miserable though, despite Heero's reassurance. "I guess I should try Miss Peacecraft again."
 
"She doesn't know?"
 
"No. I haven't been able to get in contact with her yet. I've tried calling her cell but it says it's either switched off or not in a receiving area."
 
"What about consent?"
 
"I have the authority to sign when Miss Peacecraft isn't available."
 
Heero had thought it a little odd that Relena hadn't shown up or had anything to say about Zechs bringing the horse here or that Duo was assisting. Now all the pieces fell into place. Silently Heero mused over what the woman would think once she knew.
 
"Damn! Still can't get her." Walker pocketed his cell.
 
"All you can do is keep on trying," Heero said.
 
"Yeah." Walker bore the look of defeat. The sounds of a car pulling up broke them from their thoughts and Heero stood up to see out the kitchen window who was visiting.
 
"Shit! Treize." With all the excitement going on, Heero had forgotten that Treize was coming over to jump Zero. Abandoning his coffee, Heero went outside to greet the man.
 
Treize got out of his car, a little surprised to see Zero still in the paddock. Usually Heero had him saddled up and Duo had been warming the stallion up for him. He turned as he heard the back door to the house open and Heero step out, a grim look on his face. Treize knew immediately that something wasn't right. "Heero?"
 
"Treize. I'm afraid there's been a slight change of plan." Heero explained to Treize what was going on, Treize's face paling as he took in the information. He followed Hero to the house where Walker was still sitting in the kitchen and sat down.
 
"What exactly happened?" Treize asked the groom.
 
Walker gave them all the details, Heero reiterating the bit where Zechs had arrived and that the two vets were now in theater operating to save Peacemillion's life. Treize leaned back in his chair and ran a hand through his bangs.
 
"You haven't been able to get Relena?"
 
"No. She went to the hospital this morning to have her cast removed. I'd say she's turned her cell off while in the hospital and hasn't turned it back on again. I've no idea when she's planning on coming back either."
 
Treize thought for a moment. "If I know Relena, she's probably gone shopping after her hospital appointment. Look, you keep trying her on the cell, I'm going to drive into Salsbury and see if I can find her. She needs to know about this and as soon as possible."
 
"I agree," replied Walker.
 
Treize stood up. "I'll get going now. I'll call you as soon as I find her. In the meantime, keep trying to get her and if you do, call me and let me know."
 
"Will do," replied Walker.
 
Heero escorted Treize back out to his car. "Thanks, Treize. As much as I dislike Relena for all the shit she's caused Duo, I wouldn't wish this upon her."
 
"I know, Heero. I think Duo's an amazing person, to be doing what he is after all the crap she's caused; he's one special person."
 
"He is," replied Heero softly.
 
"I'll call you as soon as I find her." Treize got into his car and sped off. Heero watched him go, hoping that one way or the other they would be able to get Relena and let her know what was happening to her horse.
 
Walking back to the house, Heero glanced towards the stable block and operating theater within. Yes, Duo certainly was an amazing person, but Heero already knew that.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc....