Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 33 ( Chapter 33 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne? Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
Time, Fault and Out
 
November 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 33
 
Relena continued to stare numbly at the official paper in her hand. Her eyes scanned over the page, seeing the words but not absorbing them. She couldn't believe what the officers had just told her - Heero, her Heero had taken out a restraining order against her? Why would he want to do that? Surely he wanted to be with her and not that pansy vet?
 
Dorothy watched the various emotions flitting across her mistress' face and could sympathize with the woman to a point. She couldn't deny though that Relena had it coming. Taking pity on her boss, Dorothy walked over and stood behind Relena, gently she began to massage the slightly slumped shoulders. "Are you okay, Miss Relena?"
 
"I don't understand, Dorothy. Why would Heero do this?"
 
Dorothy sighed. "Relena, you know the answer to that without asking me."
 
"It must be the work of that faggot." Relena's face darkened.
 
"Pardon?"
 
"I'll bet that vet has put Heero up to this, persuaded him somehow to take out this restraining order against me. Heero wouldn't do this, he's always been polite and friendly to me."
 
"Relena?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"Think back to the hospital. You said yourself about seeing Doctor Maxwell and Mr Yuy kissing. From what you told me, it doesn't appear that Mr Yuy was exactly protesting at the time."
 
"How could he when he was obviously under the influence of the drugs they'd given him?"
 
"Relena, what makes you so sure that Heero isn't gay? Has he said that himself?"
 
The question took Relena by surprise and she paused to think for a moment before replying. "Heero doesn't fit the gay 'type'," she responded.
 
"Oh?" Dorothy quirked an eyebrow. "And what exactly is the gay 'type'?"
 
"You know, long hair, feminine features, that kind of thing," Relena said absently.
 
Dorothy snorted. "So straight guys are all the muscular, macho kind?"
 
"Exactly, Dorothy. Guys such as Heero and Treize, they're your straight guy, not flouncy like that Maxwell creature with his long hair and female looks. That's why I can't understand why my Heero has had this restraining order put out against me..." Relena thought for a moment.
 
Dorothy wasn't sure she was going to like or understand Relena's reasoning for this.
 
"There's no two ways about it, that vet must have forced Heero to do this. I'll bet he's used some sort of underhanded tactics that Heero couldn't refuse to make him take out this order. Maybe he's threatened Heero's horse."
 
Dorothy bit her tongue for a moment. "Relena, I think you should worry about the charges brought against you and not the restraining order. I'd be contacting my lawyer and asking for help. These charges are not to be taken lightly and if Doctor Maxwell has been found innocent of the allegations you accused him of, I'd say you could be in some serious trouble."
 
"I don't think I have anything to fear, Dorothy. It's pretty obvious to me that creature has managed to bribe the investigator or fiddled his records somehow. But you're right, I'll call the solicitor now." Relena reached across the desk and picked up the 'phone.
 
* * *
 
Dorothy assisted Relena up the steps to the reception area of Randall and Associates - Solicitors. The solicitor had booked Relena an appointment the day after her call and Relena had asked Dorothy to accompany her. Sitting Relena down in a chair as she was still wearing the cast on her foot, Dorothy approached the receptionist to announce their arrival for the appointment. Five minutes later, Relena was called into the office of Mr Randall, Dorothy remained in the waiting room.
 
"Good morning, Miss Peacecraft," Mr Randall greeted.
 
"Good Morning, Mr Randall," Relena replied and took the offered seat.
 
"Now, what can I do for you, Miss Peacecraft? You said something on the 'phone about a letter you'd received and charges being filed against you?"
 
Relena reached into her bag and withdrew the solicitor's letter and handed it over. "That's what I got in the mail yesterday. I intend to fight this, Mr Randall. Read through it and then I'll explain my side of the story to you."
 
Randall took the offered letter and began to peruse it. As he read so the small furrow between his brows began to deepen. Clearly these were serious charges and from the look of the woman before him, she really didn't understand just how serious. Finished with his perusal, Randall lowered the paper to his desk and fixed his gaze on the woman before him. "I've read the letter; now, would you care to tell me what this is all about and your side of the story?"
 
"Certainly, Mr Randall..."
 
It took Relena a good half an hour to tell her tale. Mr Randall listened intently, taking notes from time to time and asking for clarification where needed. By the time the woman had finished, Randall was even more convinced this was going to be a case he couldn't win.
 
"Miss Peacecraft, let me get this straight. You say that a Mr Yuy is your boyfriend and that he lives with a vet, Doctor Maxwell?"
 
"Yes."
 
"This vet, Doctor Maxwell, is a homosexual?"
 
"Yes."
 
"And Mr Yuy is not?"
 
"Correct."
 
"You're saying that the vet, Doctor Maxwell, is forcing himself onto Mr Yuy and that Mr Yuy cannot prevent this from happening?"
 
"Yes."
 
"You believe that Doctor Maxwell is administering drugs of some sort to make Mr Yuy receptive to Doctor Maxwell's advances and as such you have notified the Australian Veterinary Board of this breech of practice?"
 
"That's right, Mr Randall. There's no way that my Heero would be with that fairy."
 
"Miss Peacecraft, may I remind you that being a homosexual is not against the law."
 
"It should be."
 
Mr Randall sighed. "This letter from Doctor Maxwell's solicitors states that the Australian Veterinary Board has completed a thorough investigation into Doctor Maxwell's practice and records and that they can find nothing to substantiate your claim."
 
"He must have fiddled his records then."
 
"The Veterinary Board does not take accusations such as yours lightly, Miss Peacecraft. Rest assured, they would have done a thorough investigation."
 
"I don't care. They must have missed something. Mr Randall, I do not intend to make a public apology and I certainly refuse to pay for any damages. This is all a farce and have engaged your services to defend me and prove these people wrong. Now, are you going to just sit there or are you going to take this case and make that pansy vet regret ever putting his dirty hands on my Heero?"
 
Randall knew he was fighting a losing battle here, not just with the client but the case as well. Still, there were a few things he could do and if the worst came to the worst maybe he could get an out of court settlement. "Okay, Miss Peacecraft, I'll draft a letter up and send it to Doctor Maxwell's solicitors informing them that we intend to fight this."
 
"Thank you."
 
"I'll need some further information from you though before I can proceed."
 
"Certainly."
 
"I'll need to contact the AVB and get a copy of their findings. I'll also need a complete statement from you regarding the argument you had with Doctor Maxwell at the hospital..."
 
By the time Relena stepped out of the office, Dorothy was dozing in her seat.
 
***
 
Heero picked up the 'phone after the second ring. "Hello."
 
"May I speak with Doctor Maxwell, please?"
 
"I'm sorry, Doctor Maxwell isn't available right now. Can I take a message?"
 
"Please. This is Mr Klink here. Could you ask him to call me as soon as he can?"
 
"Mr Klink, it's Heero Yuy speaking. Can I possibly help?"
 
Five minutes later, Heero hung up the 'phone, his mind a turmoil of thoughts. He looked at the clock. Duo was out on a call and Heero didn't know how long he would be. Deciding against paging or calling Duo's cell, Heero pushed the intercom between the house and the surgery.
 
"Catherine here."
 
"Catherine, it's Heero. Have you any idea when Duo will be back?"
 
"I'm not too sure but it shouldn't be too much longer. Is there something wrong? I can page him if you like?"
 
"No, nothing's wrong and there's no need to page him. When he gets back can you ask him to come straight to the house, please? I've got some news for him."
 
"I will, Heero."
 
"Thanks." Heero switched the intercom off and wandered through to the kitchen to get a glass of orange juice and ponder what Klink had told him.
 
***
 
"I'll call back in ten days to remove the stitches, Miss Cartwright. Meanwhile, try to keep her confined as much as possible. The less stress and strain put on the stitches the better."
 
"Thank you, Doctor Maxwell." Miss Cartwright unclipped the lead rope and let the filly go. Once both she and the vet had stepped out of the stable, she closed and bolted the door. "Would you care to come into the house and wash your hands?"
 
"Thanks, that would be appreciated." Duo looked at the traces of blood still on his hands from stitching the wound to the filly's leg. He placed his instruments back into the car and removed a bottle of Penicillin, some syringes and needles. "I've given her a shot of antibiotic but you will need to repeat the injection daily for the next ten days. Ten milliliters per dose and it's muscular so you will need to inject it into the rump. Alternate the sides so she doesn't get sore." Duo handed over the antibiotic and necessary equipment.
 
"Thanks. I take it I should keep this in the 'fridge?"
 
"Yes."
 
Arriving at the house, Miss Cartwright led Duo to the bathroom where he could wash his hands. Exiting a moment later, Duo prepared to take his leave.
 
"You'll send me out the bill?"
 
"Yes. It will be at the end of the month," replied Duo.
 
"Thank you." The young woman seemed to hesitate for a moment and then spoke again. "Doctor Maxwell?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"I know this is none of my business and you can tell me to shove off, but... I heard that you and that Mr Yuy, the one that's got the horses are, well, together."
 
"Ah." Duo felt the weight on his shoulders increase. Looked like this was going to be another client he would lose.
 
Seeing the reaction on the vet's face to her words, Miss Cartwright was quick to continue. "I just want you to know that I think it's sweet and I wish you both all the best."
 
"Eh?" You could have knocked Duo over with a feather.
 
"Although I'll admit that I'm not all that happy."
 
"Pardon?" Duo didn't quite follow.
 
"You do realize what a waste this is? All the really nice, hot guys are either taken or gay. It's not fair you know. What's all us poor, single females to do now?"
 
Duo stared at the woman in stunned silence, Miss Cartwright began to laugh.
 
"I'm having a little fun with you," she giggled. "Seriously, I admire you both for your courage. It's not easy to admit to such a thing given society today. I hope you both find happiness together and wish Mr Yuy all the best for his try outs for the cup team."
 
"Thank you, I'll pass on your best wishes." Duo had forgotten just how tight knit the horse world could be. The grape vine must have been working overtime lately.
 
"Don't worry, you won't be losing my business, or many of the others in the horse community. You're an excellent vet, Doctor Maxwell. I'll see you again in ten days to remove the stitches."
 
Duo found himself walking back to his car, head shaking in amusement. It would seem he had more allies than he'd thought.
 
***
 
Arriving back at the surgery, Duo went in to the reception area and gave Catherine all the details on the case so she could log them into the computer. Once that was done, Catherine informed him that Heero wanted him to go directly to the house as he had some news for the vet. Mind churning over what the news could possibly be, Duo headed for the house and his lover.
 
Hearing the back door open, Heero knew his partner had returned and headed out to the kitchen to greet him. Seeing Heero coming through from the lounge room, Duo moved across the kitchen and met his lover half way.
 
"Catherine said you have some news for me," Duo began only to be cut off by a kiss from his boyfriend. "Mmmm, that was nice," he said as he wrapped his arms around Heero.
 
"The solicitor called."
 
"Ah." Duo released Heero from the embrace and took a step back trying to see from Heero's expression if the call had brought good or bad news. Heero's face was neutral though. "What did he say?"
 
"He didn't tell me much over the 'phone, just the basics. He wants you to call him and he'll give you all the information. What he did say was he'd received a letter from Relena's solicitor stating that she intends to fight the charges."
 
"Surely she realizes she doesn't stand a chance?"
 
"I don't know, Duo. That's all Klink would tell me. I think you'd better call him yourself and get all the information."
 
"Thanks, Heero. I'll call him now." Duo went through to the lounge room and the 'phone, Heero put the kettle on to boil thinking they would both probably need a caffeine hit after the call. Maybe a scotch would be better, but as Duo was on duty and rarely drank, Heero not being much of a drinker either, plus the fact that they didn't have any scotch or anything alcoholic for that matter in the house anyway put paid to that idea so caffeine it would have to be.
 
Coffees made, Heero sat at the kitchen table waiting for Duo to return and fill him in. He didn't have to wait too long. Duo returned to the kitchen, his face dark and unreadable. Heero looked up and decided it was probably best to wait a few minutes and let the vet get some caffeine into his system before asking any questions.
 
Duo sat down at the kitchen table and accepted the mug of coffee that was silently pushed in front of him. He picked it up and took sip, then another. After a couple of minutes he felt a little better and turned his violet eyes to his lover. "Klink had a letter from the pink bitch's solicitor. She intends to fight me on this."
 
Heero nodded. He already knew that much.
 
"Just how delusional is she? Surely she must realize that she doesn't stand a chance in hell of winning? I've had enough of being the 'Mr Nice Guy'. She can rot in hell for all I care, I'm going to sue her ass for everything I possibly can," Duo growled.
 
"Ah."
 
"Even when faced with the evidence in black and white she still doesn't get it. I swear she must have been at the end of the line when the brains were handed out."
 
"She's simply blinded by her obsession with me," Heero stated softly. "Duo, I'm sorry for all the trouble this has caused you."
 
"Heero, don't you dare take the blame for this. This is not your fault. Look, she's not just hurt me with her obsession, but she's hurt you, Treize and Taurus as well."
 
Hearing Taurus' name mentioned caused Heero to flinch and he lowered his eyes.
 
"No, Heero. This isn't natural. If it hadn't been you it would be some other poor bugger going through this. Heaven knows if she hasn't pulled this stunt before. Well, this time she's not going to win. Kink said there's a preliminary hearing set for next week. Klink will present our side of the case to the court and then the parasite's solicitor will have his chance to defend the charges."
 
"Then what?"
 
"Then it depends on what the judge thinks. Klink seems pretty sure it will be adjourned and a date set for a full hearing. When that happens we will be needed in court."
 
"I see."
 
Duo finished his coffee and closed his eyes for a moment. Heero could see the fine lines etched into the handsome face, lines that hadn't been there before and his heart broke for his lover. He just wished there was more he could do.
 
***
 
Klink shuffled the papers in front of him and began his closing statement. "Your honor. The charge brought against Doctor Maxwell was fully investigated by the Australian Veterinary Board and Doctor Maxwell found innocent of any malpractice. As a consequence of this allegation, my client, Doctor Duo Maxwell, has had his reputation put on the line, his name dragged through the mud and his code of ethics questioned. He has suffered loss of income as well as emotional stress. We therefore seek to claim damages for such loss to the amount of two hundred and fifty thousand dollars and a public apology from Miss Relena Peacecraft. Thank you, your honor." Klink bowed and resumed his seat.
 
The judge nodded and then turned to Mr Randall. "Are you ready to state your case on behalf of the defendant?"
 
Randall stood and raised his eyes to meet those of the judge. "Yes, your honor, I am."
 
"Then proceed."
 
Randall was brief in his outlining of his client's defense, simply stating that Relena intended to fight the charge as she believed that Doctor Maxwell, by his own admittance to being a homosexual, is responsible for his loss of income.
 
Having heard both statements the judge took a few minutes to look over the case and make his decision. Clearing his throat, he spoke in a clear tone. "Gentlemen, in the case of Maxwell versus Peacecraft and the outline of the prosecution and defense, I hereby decree that this case is to go to a further court hearing where both parties will have the opportunity to present, with evidence, their case. The date for the hearing will be set by the bailiff. This hearing is now closed." The judge brought the gavel down with a bang and both solicitors offered their thanks before collecting their papers and exiting.
 
Once outside the court room, Klink turned to face his opponent. "I don't believe your client intends to defend this, Randall. Surely you know she doesn't stand a chance in hell of winning?"
 
Randall sighed. "I know that and you know that, but try telling my client that. For some reason she's adamant that she's not the one in the wrong here. I've tried to talk to her but she insists I represent her. I really don't have much choice."
 
"Well, all I can say is good luck to you. This case is cut and dried, all the evidence is in my client's favor and after hearing his story I can't say I blame him for suing your client. She must be a pretty thick individual not to see what she's done."
 
"Maybe I should enter a plea of insanity?"
 
Klink chuckled. "Might be your best bet," he replied and then offered his hand. Randall took it and shook it firmly. "Better go see the bailiff and get a court date then, I'd say you're going to need all the time you can get to prepare your defense, not that it's going to make any difference."
 
Shaking his head, Randall followed his colleague to the bailiff's office.
 
With a court date set for two weeks time the solicitors left and went back to their respective offices to begin preparation of their respective cases and notify their clients of the court date.
 
* * *
 
Peacemillion grunted softly and pulled another mouthful of hay from his haynet. Chewing it he shifted his weight from one hind leg to the other. A small spasm of pain passed through his intestine and the horse grunted again.
 
Up at the house, Relena was feeling a little excited. Today she was heading back to the hospital and out patients section to have the plaster cast removed from her foot. It had been six weeks since the cumbersome cast had gone on and she was more than ready to have it removed. Running the brush through her shining hair one last time, she deemed herself ready.
 
"All set?" asked Dorothy as she entered her mistress' bedroom.
 
"I certainly am. I can't wait to get this cast off and be able to walk normally again," replied Relena.
 
"Come on then, I've brought the car around to the front so we can go as soon as you've finished your hair." Dorothy assisted Relena to the car and once the woman was inside, she placed the crutches in the back and got in behind the wheel. "One plaster cast removal coming up," Dorothy quipped as she started the car and began the drive to the hospital.
 
Back in the stable block the young stable hand finished cleaning the last of the stables and began the task of refilling the haynets for those horses currently stabled. With the haynets done he topped up the water buckets and went to get himself some lunch. He didn't notice the light sweat beginning to break out on Peacemillion's coat or the subtle shifting of weight from one hind leg to the other.
 
Despite the light pain in his gut, Peacemillion continued to pull at the haynet, chewing and swallowing, oblivious to the fact that he was adding to his discomfort. The pain began to increase, steadily building until the stallion could ignore it no longer. He groaned softly and turned his head to look at his belly. Another spasm of pain and he kicked out in an effort to stop whatever it was that was hurting him.
 
* * *
 
"Keep the bandage on for two or three days to support the foot and then all should be fine and you can leave it off permanently. Don't put any undue stress or strain on the foot as the area is still a little weak and will take time to build up again." The doctor finished with his instructions and smiled at his patient. "Any questions?"
 
"No, doctor. Thank you for help."
 
"My pleasure, Miss Peacecraft." The doctor escorted Relena out of the room and back to the waiting room where Dorothy met them.
 
"All finished?" Dorothy inquired.
 
"Yes," Relena beamed back as she walked over to her housekeeper. "Come on, Dorothy. I think this calls for a celebration. Let's go grab some lunch and do some shopping."
 
Dorothy didn't argue.
 
* * *
 
The pain increased further and Peacemillion moved restlessly around his stable. He began to kick again at his belly and grunted as the spasm intensified. He dropped his muzzle to the water bucket and lipped at the water. Another spasm hit his system and he groaned. Shifting again, he began to paw at the sawdust bedding and then lowered himself to his knees and finally lay down. As the spasms continued to build, Peacemillion tried to roll to relieve himself of some of the pain.
 
It didn't help any.
 
Sweat was now running freely from his skin and soaking his gray coat. Rolling around, the sawdust kicked up and covered his coat, matting into his mane and tail.
 
Walker returned from the local feed merchants where he'd gone to pay last month's account and order more feed and immediately headed for the stables to check on the horses before going to grab some lunch. Entering the stable area he sensed something wasn't right and frowned. He glanced around; all seemed to be in order but he couldn't help the nagging feeling. One by one he began to check the horses currently stabled.
 
Nearing the end of the one set of stables he heard the sounds of a horse grunting and thrashing around. He began to run in the direction of the noise. Stopping outside the stable of Peacemillion, Walker looked inside and felt his mouth go dry.
 
The stallion was rolling around the stable floor, obviously in a lot of pain. His gray coat was thick with sweat, dirt and dust, his eyes wide with fear and his nostrils deep red as he snorted in pain.
 
"Oh my god!" Walker turned and sprinted for the tack room, screaming for the stable hand as he ran.
 
The young lad stuck his head out of the small room the grooms used to take their lunch in to see what the commotion was. Spotting his boss and noting the agitated look he knew something was seriously wrong. "Boss?"
 
"Tommy, Peacemillion. He's got colic bad and is thrashing around in the stable. Go get him up and start walking him around. I'm calling for the vet now."
 
Tommy swallowed hard and nodded, taking off at a run he headed straight for the stallion's stable.
 
Walker grabbed the phone in the small office and quickly punched in the number for the Oakford Equine Hospital. It rang twice before being answered.
 
"Oakford Equine Hospital. How can I help you?"
 
"It's Walker here from the Peacecraft stud. I have a stallion down with colic and it's pretty bad. I need a vet immediately."
 
"One moment, Mr Walker." The call was put on hold.
 
"Come on, come on," muttered Walker. Time was of the essence here.
 
"Mr Walker?"
 
"Yes?"
 
"I have Doctor Merquise on the line."
 
"Thank you."
 
"Walker? I understand you have a horse with colic?" Zechs' voice came calmly down the line.
 
"Yes, yes, I do and he's in a very bad way. I need you to come out immediately."
 
Zechs asked a couple more questions before giving Walker instructions on what to do for the stallion until he could get there. Hanging up the phone, Zechs went through to the small dispensary and fetched the drugs he thought he would need. Letting the receptionist know where he was headed, Zechs left.
 
Walker went back out to where young Tommy was struggling with Peacemillion. The stallion didn't want to get up, he wanted to stay lying down and rolling. Tommy dodged the flailing hooves and rolling horse, managing to clip the lead rope to the halter and tried tugging hard to encourage the horse to stand.
 
Walker joined in and between the two of them they managed to get the reluctant gray to his feet where he stood and swayed for a moment.
 
"Let's get him moving," said Walker. "Vet's on his way. We need to keep him upright and not let him roll again. He could twist a gut if he does and then there isn't much hope for him. Miss Peacecraft will have my hide if anything happens to this horse."
 
Tommy nodded and did his best to encourage the stallion to walk. Between the two of them, Tommy pulling on the halter and Walker pushing, shoving and supporting the gray from the side, they managed to get the stallion to walk.
 
Zechs pulled into the stable yard fifteen minutes after the call. He could see the two men and the horse staggering around the yard. Jumping out of the car, Zechs grabbed what he would need and strode quickly across to the group. The nearer he got, the deeper the feeling of dread in his stomach.
 
Walker was relieved to see the vet arrive and did his best to smile at the tall blonde.
 
"How long has he been like this?" Zechs asked as he quickly took the horse's heart and breathing rate.
 
"I'm not sure. I came back from the feed store and found him rolling in the stable. That was about twenty-five minutes ago."
 
"He was fine when I went in for my lunch about forty-five minutes ago," piped up Tommy as he struggled to keep the stallion on his feet.
 
Zechs took the animal's temperature and the frown increased. He didn't like this, didn't like it at all. Quickly he looked at the gums and inside eyelid of the horse and felt his heart plummet further. Normally they were a salmon pink color.
 
Peacemillion's were deep red.
 
Running the stethoscope over the horse's belly, Zechs listened carefully for the sounds that signified Peacemillion's internal workings.
 
All was silent.
 
The sense of dread mounted in his gut. Zechs had a strong feeling that the horse had twisted a bowel; and if that was the case, the outlook wasn't all that good. Taking a deep breath to calm himself, Zechs turned to the groom.
 
"I can't hear anything coming from inside. His temperature, heart and breathing rates are up, also his color isn't good. He definitely has colic, but..." This was the part Zechs was finding to be the most difficult. "I think it may be a little more serious."
 
Walker closed his eyes momentarily and then turned to the vet as he continued, "I think he may have already twisted a bowel."
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...