Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 44 ( Chapter 44 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne? Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 44
 
Heero brought the car to a smooth stop and turned the engine off. Climbing out of the vehicle, he spotted Otto to the side, tending to one of the horses and headed in the groom's direction.
 
"Hey, Otto," Heero said as he walked up to the groom.
 
"Heero. It's really good to see you again," replied Otto as he placed the horse's forefoot back to the ground and straightened up. He slipped the hoof pick he'd been using to clean out the horse's foot into his pocket and shook hands with the young rider.
 
"How are things going?" Heero asked politely.
 
"The usual. Not enough hours in the day to keep up with all the work. I see you have your cast off."
 
"Yeah. It came off four days ago."
 
"Bet you're glad to be rid of it."
 
"You can say that again."
 
"Your arm healed up okay?"
 
"It's fine. The plate and pins are still in there for the moment until the bone regains its full strength, but everything seems to be okay and the doctor was happy with the way it's healed," replied Heero.
 
"Any idea when you're coming back to ride then?" Otto had missed the young man. Not only was he a skilled rider, probably one of the best Treize had ever had as a student, but he was a nice young man with polite manners and an air of calm around him. The horses liked him too.
 
"I should be back once the Nations Cup is finished."
 
"Good. We could do with you back in the saddle. Treize has too many horses to keep in work by himself and the stable boys aren't proper riders. Oh, they manage to keep the horses exercised, but they need more than that, they need schooling properly."
 
Heero could understand what Otto was saying. A horse needed to be worked, yes. But it also needed educating; and most of Treize's horses were youngsters in the processes of being schooled.
 
"There's someone coming to look at buying Sandrock tomorrow," Otto said softly.
 
Heero's head jerked. "There is?"
 
"Yes. Some gentleman from down the south wants a good, graded horse for his daughter who is starting to make her way through the ranks. Treize said he sounded okay on the 'phone."
 
"I hope it works out okay." While Heero really didn't want to see the horse sold, he knew it was Treize's livelihood and it was bound to happen sooner or later. Treize had already told him that the horses he was riding would probably end up being sold, unless they were exceptional and then Treize would take them over at a later date for international competition.
 
"Don't worry," Otto said. "Treize won't sell any horse without knowing all the facts about where it's going. He's very thorough in checking where the horse is going and making sure it and the prospective owner are suited to each other."
 
Otto's words were a small comfort to Heero. He knew Treize wasn't the sort to sell a horse to a bad home. "Is Treize around?"
 
"He's down in the jumping paddock with Goose."
 
"Thanks. I need to speak with him." Heero turned to walk through the stable block to the track that would lead him down through the paddocks to the jumping paddock.
 
"I'll see you before I go, Otto," he said as he left in search of his boss.
 
* * *
 
"Steady," Treize murmured and ran a hand along the sweaty neck.
 
Goose's shoulder quivered under the touch and he allowed his rider to shorten his stride.
 
Treize sat down a little firmer into his saddle and shortened his reins a fraction. Goose slowed a touch and Treize turned him to face the wall. Three strides out, Treize applied the leg, still holding the contact steady with the bay's mouth. Goose lengthened his stride a touch in response. Two strides out and Treize was moving upwards and forwards in his saddle, arms reaching along the satiny neck to give the horse the extra rein to stretch out and clear the jump. Legs were applied and the bay gathered his hindquarters underneath himself in readiness to propel his body into the air.
 
Heero stood at the paddock gate and watched the pair. He hadn't studied Treize's jumping style in a while and watching the pair now, he was again in awe of the great partnership between man and beast. Goose had complete trust in his rider and Treize in no way betrayed that trust. They were stunning to watch. The seemingly effortless stride of the horse and Treize following the movements with skilled ease.
 
Goose pushed into the air, tucked his forelegs neatly into his body and flew over the wall, clearing it with inches to spare. He landed safely on the other side and picked up his stride, cantering away from the jump with his ears pricked and eager for the next one.
 
Sitting back down into his saddle, Treize drew rein and brought the bay back to a trot and then walk, patting the horse and praising him. He spotted Heero standing to the side and rode over. Dismounting, he addressed the younger rider. "Heero, good to see you. I see you have the cast off. All went well?"
 
"It all went fine," Heero replied. "The arm is a bit weak from being immobile for so long, but it shouldn't take too much to get it back into shape and the muscles built up."
 
"Just don't overdo it." Treize whirled around as a sudden squeal came from the side. Goose let fly with a thunderous neigh, almost deafening Treize and Heero.
 
"Short Duck, I might have known," Heero muttered as he shook his head, hoping his eardrums hadn't been perforated.
 
The mini pony had been grazing quietly in the corner of the field, only just noticing that his 'mate' wasn't there any more. He'd squealed his protest and then with the answering neigh, charged across the paddock.
 
Heero snickered as he watched the reunion, the big warmblood nuzzling the neck of the small pony that only just came to his knees. "You all set for the camp next week?" Heero asked.
 
"Pretty much. Most of the gear is sorted, I only have the last minute things to organize."
 
"You going to stay or commute?"
 
"I'm going to commute but I'm stabling Goose and Duck at the Waybridge property. It will work out easier for me. I've still got the horses here to think about and I can still work a few of them before I leave in the morning and when I get back at night. I'll take one of the stable boys to stay and look after Goose and Duck. What are you doing?"
 
"I'm commuting, both Zero and myself. I'd rather not risk anything else happening to either me or Zero."
 
"Good idea. I'd commute the nags as well if I could, but it will be too hard given the work load here."
 
"Understandable. It could get tricky trying to get Goose over there if the 'barrel' decides he doesn't want to go on the float."
 
"It could," Treize laughed at the reference to Short Duck. The mini pony could be stubborn sometimes and refuse to go in the horse float. It usually ended up with Treize and one of the grooms literally lifting the pony and bodily carrying him into the float. "Duo going with you?" he asked as he led the bay from the paddock and back towards the stables, Duck following along behind.
 
"When he's not got consults, he's planning on coming over to watch and play groom for me."
 
"I thought the other vet, what's her name?"
 
"Hilde."
 
"Yeah, Hilde would do his consults so he could be there."
 
"He had thought about that, but it's not fair on Hilde, especially if I make it into the team. With the cup being held in Sydney, should I make it to the final team it will mean staying in Sydney for a few days. Duo has asked Hilde if she will cover for him should I be successful so he can come along."
 
"Good thinking."
 
"Is Zechs coming with you? To the camp and Sydney if you make it?"
 
"He said he would drop in if he could during the camp. As for Sydney; I have to get there first, but yes, he said he would like to come and offer moral support."
 
"I'll bet that's not all he'll offer," laughed Heero.
 
Treize stopped dead in his tracks, his cheeks turning pink as he looked at the rider. "I'll pretend I didn't hear that."
 
Heero simply continued to laugh.
 
* * *
 
"Shit, Heero. You going for a week or a year?" Duo asked as he eyed the pile of saddlery, bins, buckets, rugs and other assorted items littering the stable block floor.
 
"I know I'm commuting, but all this stuff will be necessary. I'll be able to leave a lot of it at Waybridge and just keep the basics in the car for traveling back and forth."
 
"If you're like this for a week's camp, I dread to think what you're going to be like should you make it to the team and go to Sydney! We will need a truck like Treize's! And that will only be for the gear! "
 
Looking around at the piles he had strewn everywhere, Heero had to admit, it looked like a lot. He wanted to be prepared though, make sure he had everything he would need. It was Murphy's law that if he had it, he wouldn't need it; but if he didn't have it, he was bound to need it.
 
Duo wandered into the feed shed and began to fetch the night feeds for the horses, taking them out and putting them into the feed bins. Heero continued to sort through his 'pile' and arrange it into a more easily packed mess. By the time he had it all sorted out and placed in the car, Duo was bringing the horses in.
 
Once the horses were settled, Duo gave Heero a hand to hitch up the horse float before heading up to the house and dinner. Hilde was doing the evening consults leaving Duo free to cook dinner while Heero continued with his sorting out of clothing for the next day. Luckily there wasn't much he'd need and it didn't take him long to organize it all.
 
"Got everything?" Duo asked as Heero wandered back into the kitchen.
 
"Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have. Mmmm, something smells good." Heero wrapped his arms around Duo's waist from behind and nuzzled the vet's neck as he tried to see what Duo was cooking for dinner.
 
"It's a beef in red wine casserole," Duo replied as his body shivered with Heero's hot breath on his sensitive neck. "It should be ready in about five minutes if you want to set the table."
 
Placing a kiss to his lover's nape, Heero released the vet and went to do as Duo had asked.
 
Once dinner and the dishes had been taken care of, the pair relaxed in the lounge room watching a movie until Duo's eyes began to close and Heero wasn't far behind. Checking everywhere was locked up, Duo followed his lover through to the bedroom and snuggled under the covers in his boyfriend's arms, sleep coming quickly to them both.
 
* * *
 
"Shit, Heero. There's no way you're going to fit anything else in there," Duo said as he eyed the packed car. Every available inch was taken up with gear for Zero. "You sure you need all this stuff? You're traveling back and forth every day and you've packed enough stuff to last a month!"
 
"It's not that much, Duo," Heero stated as he calmly eyed the stuffed car.
 
"Yes, it is. Let me see; you've got two saddles in there..."
 
"I may need the spare if something happens to my work one."
 
"Three bridles..."
 
"Zero could break something..."
 
"Three rugs..."
 
"What if it rains?"
 
"Two water buckets..."
 
"One might get a hole in it."
 
"The only thing that's got a hole in it is your head right now."
 
Heero sighed.
 
"What happens if you get a flat?"
 
"Then I get out the spare and change the tire," Heero replied giving Duo a look that said he wasn't stupid.
 
"And where is the spare located?"
 
"In the trunk... Ah."
 
"Yes, Heero. In the trunk underneath all that lot. I rest my case." Duo looked a little smug.
 
"I guess I really don't need the spare saddle."
 
"No, you don't. I'd suggest taking out a lot of the stuff. You're not going to be in need of it all and if something does snap, buckle or get a hole in it, I'm sure you can borrow a replacement from either someone else or the Waybridge place is bound to have spares. Besides, I don't think Henrietta will appreciate all the extra weight and you don't need a blown gasket to the list."
 
"Henrietta?" Heero was almost afraid to ask.
 
"The car."
 
"Oh." Heero looked at his Holden station wagon that was literally jam packed with the gear. Just when had it gotten a name? Heero raised an eyebrow and looked at Duo. "Henrietta? You called my car, Henrietta?"
 
Duo shrugged and grinned. "She looks like a Henrietta."
 
Heero rolled his eyes. "I suppose you called yours Fru Fru?" he said as he glanced over at Duo's Ford. "And who said my car was a female?
 
Duo shrugged again. "It looks and drives like a girl."
 
"Eh? How do you figure that?"
 
"Temperamental."
 
"Ah."
 
"Fru Fru, Heero?" Duo questioned. "Don't be silly. That's a ridiculous name."
 
"Then what have you called it?"
 
"Camel."
 
"Camel?" Heero shook his head. He was fully aware of Duo's penchant for naming inanimate objects, just how he came up with some of those names defied all logic. Fido for the vacuum cleaner, Jaws for the lawn mower were pretty much self explanatory; but Camel?
 
Duo must have seen Heero's mind ticking over so he offered an explanation. "You've seen the cartoons on the telly, Heero. Remember Yosemite Sam? The bad tempered cowboy?"
 
Heero nodded. He did remember the character Duo described.
 
"Remember how he rides a camel at times?"
 
"Yes."
 
"When he rides that camel the darn thing doesn't do as it's told so he usually ends up screaming out 'Whoa camel' several times before jumping off and whacking the poor thing with his rifle while berating it with; 'When I says whoa I means whoa', or 'when I says go I means go'. Or something like that."
 
"You're telling me that you belt your car up the exhaust pipe with one of your tooth rasps to get it to go?" Heero couldn't help himself.
 
Duo gave him a *look* "No, I don't. Although sometimes I feel like it. No, what I meant was, my car reminds me of that camel on occasion. There are times when it doesn't want to go, or stop for that matter."
 
Heero thought that now would probably be a good time to switch the subject, preferably before Duo could come up with a name for the horse float as well. "I think we need to get moving or we will be late. I'll repack the gear if you wouldn't mind putting the floating boots on Zero for me and bring him out."
 
"Right, will do." Duo walked off to the stable block, whistling as he went.
 
Heero shook his head. "Camel," he muttered to himself.
 
* * *
 
With Duo navigating it didn't take them very long to reach the Waybridge property. They turned down a long driveway which was bordered by a line of eucalypts, paddocks spreading out on either side of them. The manor house appeared before them but Heero drove past it and to the large stable yard behind. Spotting where the other floats and cars were parked, Heero pulled into place on the end of the row. He could see Treize's gooseneck float a couple of vehicles up from them and smiled to himself. Looked like Duck had been cooperative about traveling then.
 
Duo let go a low whistle of appreciation as he took in the sight of the stable area. It was built in a 'U' shape with stables running the length of each side and the base of the 'U'. Tucked into the two 'corners' of the 'U' were the feed room and the tack room. "Nice set up," he commented.
 
"Sure is," replied Heero. "Come on, we'd better find someone and ask where we're supposed to put Zero and all the gear."
 
Duo got out of the car and followed his lover towards the stables. They could hear the sounds of people and horses as they approached. Nearing the end of the closest part of the stable block, Heero spotted Treize coming out of one of the stables.
 
"Treize!" he called out.
 
The ginger haired man looked around when he heard his name called. "Heero," he called back and began to walk over to the younger rider. "You got here okay then?"
 
"Yeah."
 
"I'm surprised we did," piped up Duo, "given the amount of gear he's got packed into the car. I thought Henrietta was going to give up on us a couple of times there. It's a miracle she's still running."
 
Treize raised an eyebrow.
 
"It's a long story; and no, I'm not going into it now so don't even bother asking," Heero said before Treize could open his mouth.
 
"Ah, okay then. You wait here and I'll go get Mueller, he's the head groom here and knows where each of the horses are to be stabled and where to put your gear."
 
"Thanks." Heero watched as Treize disappeared then turned his attention to where other people could be seen moving around the stable area.
 
Treize returned within a couple of minutes a middle aged man with him. "Heero, this is Mueller, the head groom. Mueller, this is Heero Yuy, another of the team prospects."
 
Heero took the offered hand and shook it. The man smiled.
 
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Heero."
 
"Thank you. It's a pleasure to meet you too. Mueller, this is Doctor Duo Maxwell, my groom and best friend," said Heero as he stepped to the side to introduce Duo.
 
"Doctor Maxwell, good to meet you."
 
"Nice to meet you too." Duo wasn't in the least offended by Heero's introduction. They'd both agreed on the role Duo would play and technically speaking, Duo was Heero's groom. No one needed to know that their friendship went deeper than 'best friend' status.
 
"I'll show you which stable is yours to use whilst you're here and where you can put your gear." Mueller led the way along the side of the stable block and stopped at the fourth one down. "This stable has been allocated for you to use."
 
Heero went inside, pleased to note the stable was large and airy, a thick layer of sawdust on the floor. Satisfied, Heero followed Mueller to the tack room and where he could stow his gear.
 
* * *
 
Thank heavens that's the last of it," muttered Duo as he carried the bag of grooming tools and Zero's summer rug into the tack room, placing them with the rest of Heero's gear. He looked up as Heero entered with Zero's floating boots in his hand. "How's Zero settling in?"
 
"He's fine. A little excited at first, but that's to be expected with all the new sights, sounds and smells around. He's busy munching on his haynet now." Heero dropped the floating boots to the pile of gear Duo had brought in from the car.
 
"Heero?" Treize stepped inside the tack room. "Ah, there you are. Everyone is here now and there's a meeting in five minutes at the manor."
 
"Right."
 
"It's to discuss the week's training camp, explain what will be happening and answer any questions anyone of us may have."
 
"Thanks." Heero turned to Duo. "Coming?"
 
"Wouldn't miss it," replied Duo with a grin.
 
The three left the stable block, Treize leading the way to the manor.
 
***
 
Duo took a look around the large room they were currently in. It was similar to a board room, long table, chairs, glasses of water and a sheaf of papers on the table in front of each chair. At the top of the table stood a white board with a marking pen, obviously there for diagrams, no doubt. Duo took a seat next to Heero, Treize sitting on Heero's other side while Joe, the stable boy Treize had brought with him to look after Goose and Duck, sat on Duo's other side.
 
Heero glanced at the other people filling the room. There were several men as well as a few women. A couple he recognized by looks, having competed against them in the show ring, but some he didn't. Before he could question Treize, the door behind the white board opened and a couple of official looking people walked in.
 
“Good morning, everyone," the gentleman began as he eyed the occupants. "I'm David Prescott, one of the E.F.A. selectors. Firstly, I would like to thank you all for giving up your time and attending this training camp. The purpose of this camp is to give you all some quality instruction and coaching whilst selecting the best four to go through and make up the team to represent our country in the Nations Cup event. During the week I and my fellow selectors will be observing you all and along with our head coach will select the final team. You have all been invited to try out for the team as your performances in A grade shows have been consistent. I expect that dedication to continue. I'd like to introduce you to our head coach, Lucrezia Noin. Miss Noin will be in charge of all activities this week and has a large say in the final team." A dark haired woman stepped forward and smiled at the group. "I've said my piece and now I'll hand you over to Miss Noin who will explain the program for the week. Good luck to you all." Prescott stepped to the side amidst a smattering of applause and let Noin take over the meeting.
 
"Welcome, everyone. Before we get down to the serious business of the week's work schedule, I think some introductions amongst ourselves are in order." Noin turned to the woman sitting on her left. "I'll get you to start the ball rolling. If you would be so kind as to stand up and introduce yourself as well as your groom and your horse."
 
The young woman stood. "I'm Sandra, this is my groom, Dawn and my horse is Maestro."
 
Noin nodded. "Thank you, Sandra. Next?"
 
A man around Treize's age stood up next. "I'm Alan, my groom, Thomas and my horse is that big chestnut making all the noise in the stables; Phantom."
 
The room gave a few chuckles, since arriving they had all been treated to the loud neighing of the chestnut gelding.
 
"I hope he settles down soon," Noin stated with a smile.
 
"He will. He's not been to anything like this before, so he's a little excited," replied Alan.
 
"Next."
 
"Treize Kushrenada," Treize said as he stood up to introduce himself. "This is Joe, my groom and my horse is Tall Geese. And no, your eyes were not deceiving you earlier, that was a mini pony you saw. Unfortunately, Goose is rather attached to Short Duck and unless Duck accompanies us to shows, Goose won't jump a thing."
 
"I'm glad you cleared that up for us, for a moment there I thought the pony was your mount, although you'd be a bit big on him," quipped the young man sitting across from Treize.
 
Treize laughed along with the rest of the group. "Don't let him fool you. He's quite the dynamo when he wants to be."
 
"Thank you, Treize. Next rider, please." Noin had worked with Treize before when she'd been assistant coach for the Olympic team Treize had been selected in and knew the man quite well.
 
Heero cleared his throat as he stood, the butterflies deciding to migrate in his stomach. "Heero Yuy. My horse is the gray, Zero and this is my groom, Doctor Duo Maxwell."
 
"Nice to meet you, Heero," Noin stated and then turned her gaze to Duo. "You're a vet if I'm not mistaken, Doctor Maxwell?"
 
"Yes, I am. I run a practice in the next county," Duo replied politely.
 
"Well, that's handy to know. The team does have a vet allocated to it for the competition, but it doesn't hurt to have one here as well. I hope we won't need to call upon your services other than as a groom though." Noin gave the vet a warm smile.
 
"Thank you. I hope I won't be needed in any capacity other than as a groom while I'm here either," replied Duo. He noted the genuine smile the coach had given him and he found he was liking the woman more and more.
 
"Next rider?" Noin turned to the opposite side of the table.
 
"Alex. This is my groom, Charlie and my horse is Firefox."
 
"Welcome, Alex and Charlie. Now, our last member."
 
A woman who appeared to be in her late twenties stood up and introduced herself. "I'm Zoe and this is my sister Carol who is also my groom. My horse is the bay mare, Periwinkle."
 
As Zoe sat down again, Noin took control. "Now that we have the introductions out of the way, let's get down to the serious business of why we are all here..."
 
***
 
The meeting had taken almost two hours and Duo was feeling a little tired by the end of it. They were sitting outside on the manor lawn having eaten a lunch of salads and sandwiches. Heero was sifting through the paperwork from the meeting, double checking he understood everything that was planned.
 
The week would mainly consist of flat work lessons in the morning with jumping or grid work in the afternoon. The riders were to work in groups of three, Noin taking one group while a Captain Dermail would be taking the other. The groups would switch instructors each day so as to gain the benefits from both instructors' knowledge. Heero, Treize and Zoe were in one group, Alan, Alex and Sandra in the other.
 
During lunch, Treize had filled Heero and Duo in on Noin's and Captain Dermail's experience. Noin had competed in two previous Olympic Games while Captain Dermail had ridden and trained teams in Europe before settling in Australia and immediately being snapped up by the E.F.A. as a team coach. Heero was quite looking forward to that afternoon's lesson and seeing how the two coaches taught.
 
It wasn't long before Mueller came to let the riders know it was time to saddle up and meet their instructors in the schooling paddock. Duo followed Heero back to the stables, curious to know exactly what the riders would be taught.
 
With Zero saddled up, Duo walked beside Heero and his horse to the paddock they would be using to school and train in. Duo let go a soft whistle of appreciation when he saw the impressive jumping course set at the rear of the paddock. Heero's eyes widened a little and a smile crossed his face. Those jumps looked very exciting and he'd love to have a chance to go around the course.
 
Heero had only started jumping Zero himself a couple of days ago and was pleased with how the gray had gone. He was still weak in the right arm, but it was getting stronger every day. Zero had also figured out that his master was okay and begun to act like his usual self again; although he was still apt to slow and try to stop if he felt Heero off balance at all.
 
"Riders. Mount up and begin to warm your horses up, please," Noin called out as the six riders entered the paddock.
 
The grooms moved to sit on the grass out of the way of the working horses but still close enough to hear what was being said and observe their 'charges'. Duo sat with the group, pleased to find it appeared he was accepted by them. He hadn't been too sure how they would react to him knowing he was a vet. People could be funny like that. Some would treat him with awe, others would try to avoid engaging him in conversation thinking he was too 'intellectual' for them and some only wanted to find out all the gory details of his job and then there were those that thought if they knew him well enough they could expect him to treat their animals for free. Duo preferred the one's that didn't put on any airs or graces and treated him as a common human being.
 
Deciding to keep his mouth shut for the moment and listen to what the others were saying, Duo concentrated on the various riders and their horses. He might not have the experienced eye of his fellow grooms, but he knew enough by now to see how a horse and rider were communicating with each other.
 
Heero was pleased with the way Zero had settled and was working for him. The gray stallion was calm and attentive, obeying Heero's every command instantly. He glanced across to where Treize was working Goose. The big bay was covering the ground with easy strides, softening through his back and relaxing as Treize warmed him up.
 
Noin and Dermail were also watching, their eyes scanning over the group as they loosened their horses up. Quietly they discussed a few things regarding each rider between themselves. Both were well experienced and knew what they were looking for. So far they were pleased with what they saw. On the flat all six horses and riders were working calmly, but Noin and Dermail knew that could all change once faced with a course of jumps. Having given the riders a half hour in which to warm up, the two coaches deemed them all ready to try a round of jumps.
 
"Okay, everyone. Bring your horses to the walk, please," Noin called out. Immediately all the riders brought their mounts to the walk and rode towards the coaches. "Now comes the real test," began Noin. "It's time to see how you all cope over a course of jumps."
 
~ * ~
 
tbc....