Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 45 ( Chapter 45 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne? Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
 
Chapter 45
 
Heero was pleased with the way Zero was responding to him, the gray listening well. When the coaches called a halt to their warm up and then announced they would be jumping the course, Heero could barely contain the grin. As they headed down towards the waiting jumps, Heero paused for Duo to catch up to him and then let Zero walk on a loose rein.
 
"He's going well, Heero," Duo remarked as they walked across the turf.
 
"Yes, he is," replied Heero.
 
"I'd say the coaches are having a good look at you all while working around."
 
"My guess is that they want to take stock of our capabilities, strengths and weaknesses so they know what to work on during the week," replied Heero absently.
 
"Then they have one heck of a job ahead of them," Duo stated. "From what I've seen, everyone appears to be riding really well. I can't find fault with any of them."
 
"There's always faults, Duo. Maybe you or I cannot see them, but that doesn't mean to say they aren't there. These two coaches have a lot of experience behind them and are more than capable of picking up subtle errors or difficulties even the rider may not be aware of and helping to put them right. The real test is about to come, once we do a round or two of the jumps," Heero replied.
 
"Then I'm glad it's them out there and not me, `cause I couldn't tell you if any one of them had a problem, they all look perfect to me so far," Duo chuckled.
 
Heero smiled at his lover and then focused back on the coaches as they stopped near the course of jumps.
 
"Each one of you will have the chance to do two rounds. The jumps are set between three foot nine and four foot two. I realize you are all capable of jumping higher and that the cup rules state the fences will be a minimum of four foot two with the maximum being five foot two. The purpose here today is not to see how high you can jump, but how you jump. We will be observing style, approach, interaction between horse and rider; in general, how you ride the course." Noin paused for a moment to see if the riders had taken note of what she'd said. "Good. All the fences are numbered. You have ten minutes to walk the course." Noin left the riders to it, turning to Captain Dermail and discussing with him how they felt the riders had gone so far.
 
Heero dismounted and handed Zero's reins to Duo. "Would you mind walking him around a little, keep him warm for me while I walk the course with Treize, please?"
 
"My pleasure, Heero." Duo took the reins and let his fingers brush against Heero's, the touch warming them both.
 
"Thanks." Heero left his horse with Duo and walked over to where Treize was waiting for him, having handed Goose over to Joe who was also holding Short Duck.
 
While the riders were walking the course, Duo led Zero over to Joe and Treize's horses, the two men walking their respective charges around.
 
"What do you think so far, Joe?" Duo asked. He liked the young groom, having met him a few times when he'd gone to Treize's with Heero.
 
"They all look pretty good riders to me," replied Joe honestly. "I wouldn't like to be the coaches and have to pick a team out of that lot."
 
"Me either," Duo said. "Guess that's why we're just the grooms and they're the 'professionals'."
 
Joe laughed. "Got it in one. I wouldn't like to trade places with them."
 
"Duck's being very good," Duo commented.
 
"For once he's behaving himself. Probably 'cause he's not too sure of the territory yet. Give him a couple of days and he'll be back to the mini bulldozer we all know," Joe chuckled. "Won't you, you rogue?" Joe shook the mini pony's lead rope as he fondly chastised the animal. Duck simply snorted.
 
The riders all began to make their way back from walking the course, Joe and Duo turned their charges around and began to lead the horses back to their riders.
 
"What's the course like?" Duo asked as he handed Zero's reins back to Heero.
 
"Not too bad," Heero replied. "There's a couple that have tricky turns on them, but if your horse is educated and listening, they shouldn't pose a problem."
 
"How's the arm holding up?" Duo was concerned as he knew Heero's arm still wasn't back to full capacity and this week's training would be a real test.
 
"Aches a little, but nothing bad," Heero said as he swung himself into the saddle.
 
"Be careful."
 
"I will."
 
Duo moved closer and on the pretense of checking Zero's girth, gave Heero's thigh a quick stroke. "Love you," he mouthed.
 
Heero smiled down at his lover. "Love you too," he mouthed back.
 
"Okay, everyone," Noin's voice spoke. "You've all had a chance to walk the course and inspect the jumps. There's a couple of practice fences to the side here," Noin indicated by pointing in the direction where a couple of jumps stood alone, "I suggest you warm your horses up over them. Jumping order will be; Sandra, Treize, Alex, Alan, Heero and Zoe."
 
The riders all turned their mounts and took advantage of the open area to loosen them up again and pop them over the practice jumps. Heero waited until the other riders had jumped their horses a few times before taking Zero over the fences.
 
Zero was enjoying himself. He'd worked calmly for his master, sensing there was something important about all the goings on. It didn't have the atmosphere of a show, but it felt something along the same lines to the gray. Spotting the jumps, Zero had snorted his approval and tossed in a couple of dancing steps to let his master know he was willing. A soft pat to his neck and soothing words from his master told him he would be jumping soon enough and not to waste his energy on theatrics.
 
Once all the horses and riders had completed a few warm up jumps, Noin called them back to the course. "We do not expect you to be taking risks over this course. The idea of jumping it is so Captain Dermail and myself can get a good idea of how you perform. We have seen you all jumping at the various shows, but a competition is slightly different to training. This will give us the chance to see any weaknesses or problems you or your horses may have. Sandra, if you will, please?"
 
Sandra nodded and gathered up her reins. The brown gelding responded to his mistress and walked calmly away from the group. Sandra put him into a trot and then canter, circling around once before starting the course. The remainder of the group, along with Dermail and Noin, watched intently.
 
Duo studied the big brown gelding as he moved. While nothing much to look at in the appearance stakes, it was evident the horse was well schooled and obedient. He also had a tremendous jump on him. Approaching the first fence, Sandra sat well into her saddle, keeping the gelding together, then letting him have his head in the last three strides. Duo's jaw almost hit the floor as he watched the brown horse bound forward and leap into the air.
 
"Shit!" he muttered and then turned to Heero who was snickering quietly at his side. He looked up into the amused blue eyes of his lover. "What?"
 
"He does have a huge jump on him, doesn't he?" Heero said softly.
 
"Yeah," Duo replied as he focused back on the brown. "How the heck does she manage to control him?" Duo asked. The gelding stood around sixteen three and was as solid as a brick wall. Sandra was only a slight thing and reminded Duo of a pea on a pumpkin. Surely if the gelding decided to take the bit between his teeth, Sandra wouldn't have a chance!
 
"He's very well schooled and she's an exceptional rider," Heero began. "There's no way she could control him by brute force, she doesn't need to though. She's smarter and with her skills can convince him to do exactly what she wants. It's all part of experience, Duo."
 
"Yeah, I gathered that." Duo watched in awe as the slender woman guided the brown around the course, the horse exploding over each fence in the same style.
 
"While he's an excellent jumper, he does have a small problem," Heero said.
 
"Oh?" Duo couldn't see there being a problem at all for the big animal.
 
"He's not quite fast enough in a jump off."
 
"Eh?" Duo turned back to Heero.
 
"He's such a big and bulky horse that he can't change his stride rapidly, or make sharp turns."
 
"Ah." Duo was beginning to see what Heero meant. Given the size and bulk of the gelding he would have difficulty shortening his stride rapidly or making sharp turns; it wasn't physically possible.
 
"Don't write him off though. He might not be so handy to cut corners or take shorter run ups, but he does have a large stride and Sandra knows she can take the slightly longer route but not lose much time at all. Also, with the size of his jump, he very rarely hits anything."
 
Duo nodded. All these technicalities made sense, even if his mind was swimming with them.
 
Sandra finished the course and returned to the group, patting Maestro. She'd gone clear and was obviously happy with her horse's performance.
 
"Thank you, Sandra, that was nicely done," said Noin. "Treize? You're next."
 
Treize collected Goose and headed for the start of the course, Heero and Duo's good luck calls still echoing in his ears. He rode the bay around, loosening him up and gathering him together. "Nice and easy, Goose," he muttered as he ran a hand down the soft neck. Goose responded by tugging at the reins. He was eager to be off.
 
Turning the bay, Treize pushed Goose into a canter and lined up the first fence.
 
"He's going well," remarked Heero as he watched Treize jump the course.
 
Duo had to agree. Treize was stunning to watch, the rapport he had with his horse, the uncanny knack of bringing the animal into each fence on the perfect stride was simply wonderful to observe.
 
Jump after jump was cleared with Goose's effortless stride. Landing over the brush fence, his ears cocked and within five strides he was bounding over the wall, landing and turning in two strides to meet the rustic rails head on. Treize was grinning, the adrenaline coursing through his veins as his mount cleared fence after fence. Landing over the triple bar, Treize began to bring the bay back to a trot, patting the slightly sweaty neck and praising the horse.
 
"Great round, Treize," Heero congratulated as the ginger haired man brought Goose to a halt beside him.
 
"Thank you. He was a good boy," Treize said and patted the horse again. Beside him Duck was straining to get his nose up to meet with his friend's. Joe gave the pony a little more lead rope and the two animals exchanged nuzzles.
 
"That was a good round, Treize," Noin commented as she made a couple of notes on the paper attached to the clipboard she'd brought with her. "Alex?"
 
Hearing his name called, Alex rode forward, his chestnut gelding dancing as they made their way to the start of the course. Moments later they were on their way.
 
Duo gave a low whistle as he watched the pair jump. Firefox wasn't a very big horse, probably the smallest of the group, standing around fifteen one, Duo surmised. But what the gelding lacked in the height department, he more than made up for in his jumping ability. The chestnut was quick and nimble on his feet, clever as a cat for turning and angling fences.
 
"He's good," said Treize. "He may not have height, but he's an exceptional speed horse."
 
"I agree," said Heero. "When it comes to a jump off he can spin on a dime and still clear a fence."
 
With a whisk of his tail, Firefox cleared the triple bar and came back to a trot, returning to the waiting group.
 
"Congratulations, Alex. Good round. Alan, you're next," said Noin.
 
Alan's horse was a slightly darker chestnut than Alex's, and also a lot bigger. Standing seventeen hands, the stallion was an impressive sight. Muscles rippled underneath satiny skin and the chestnut tossed in a couple of bucks as he made his way to the start.
 
"This one is a bit of an unknown entity," Treize said softly. "He came onto the circuit half way through last year and has been doing quite well. Phantom though, can be unpredictable. There are days when he jumps brilliantly and days when he will refuse the first fence for no apparent reason. I have no clue why he's like that and I don't think Alan does either."
 
Duo and Heero both turned their attention to the chestnut stallion currently jumping the course. It would appear that today was one of the stallion's better days. He flew over everything, returning to the group with a smug expression while his rider looked relieved.
 
"Heero?" Noin called. "You're next."
 
"Good luck, Heero," said Treize.
 
"Go show them what you can do, Zero," Duo said as he patted the gray's shoulder. "Good luck, Heero."
 
Heero smiled at Treize and then Duo. "Thanks." Collecting his reins, he nudged Zero into a walk and proceeded to the start of the course.
 
Zero could feel a slight tenseness in his master and knew this was important. He tossed his head and gave a couple of dancing steps, snatching at the bit in eagerness.
 
"Steady, Zero," Heero soothed. "This isn't competition so no need to over stress yourself. Just nice and calm will do."
 
Zero snorted. He wanted to be off!
 
Heero sat down in his saddle and rode the gray together, bringing his hind quarters underneath and feeling Zero's back soften beneath him. He nudged the stallion into a canter and circled round. Feeling Zero lighten and become more responsive, Hero turned him towards the first fence.
 
Zero's ears pricked up as he spotted the fence before him. He lengthened out his stride, gauging the height of the fence and launched himself into the air. Clearing the jump, Zero landed and felt his master's weight shift slightly left, a soft pressure to the left side of his mouth followed by his master's leg pushing on his right side and Zero changed direction.
 
Heero was enjoying himself. The cold, fresh air rushing past his face, stinging his eyes and cheeks, the feeling of the powerful stallion beneath him, ready to obey his lightest touch sent thrills racing through Heero's body. He loved jumping, to have a series of fences before him, a willing mount beneath him and just his skills pitted against the course designer gave him the same high that a skydiver got when jumping out of a plane.
 
The grin on Duo's face grew wider with each successful jump Zero made. Despite Heero's recent injury and lack of time spent on his beloved horse's back, Duo could see they still had a great partnership. Finely tuned to each other, Heero knowing how much he could ask of his horse and Zero willing to give all he had for the master he adored.
 
Jump after jump was cleared in Zero's familiar style, whisking over fences, landing and eager for more. The brush fence was cleared with a grunt, the wall and rustic rails skimmed over and then all remained was the triple bar. Heero lined it up, adjusting Zero's stride to bring the stallion in perfectly. Zero eyed up the jump, calculating how high he would need to leap to clear it successfully. Take off reached and Zero gathered his hind legs under his body, stretching and pushing himself into the air. Heero went forward in his saddle, reins slipping through his fingers to allow for the extension of Zero's neck. Forelegs were tucked up neatly against the body and then extended outwards to take the force of the landing. As hooves bit into dirt and turf, Zero's hind legs came back down and the gray gathered himself together, recovering from the jump and cantering away.
 
Heero rained pats on the gray's neck, praising him for being so good. With Zero at a trot, he returned to where Treize was giving him the thumbs up and Duo was practically bouncing on the spot.
 
"Lovely round, Heero," Noin said as she smiled at the young man.
 
"Thank you," Heero replied and brought Zero to a halt between Duo and Treize.
 
"You were such a good boy," Duo enthused as he patted the gray's neck.
 
Zero knew he'd been good and promptly began to nose the nice human's pockets for the treats he knew were hiding there.
 
"Hey! Don't I get any praise? I was in the pilot's seat after all. Zero didn't do it all by himself," Heero said with a grin.
 
"You were good too," Duo laughed as he reached into his pocket and pulled out the carrots for Zero. "I guess you want one of these as well for your reward?" Duo waved a carrot in Heero's direction.
 
"No thanks. I'll get my reward later, and it won't be a carrot either," Heero replied with a smirk that soon changed into a chuckle as he watched Duo's face flush red.
 
"If you two have quite finished, I'd suggest you watch our last member trying the course," Treize interrupted, an amused smile on his face.
 
"Uh, yeah. Guess we should," Heero replied sheepishly and turned his attention to Zoe and her mare Periwinkle that were currently darting around the course of jumps.
 
The mare was fluid, approaching and clearing the jumps with ease. On her back, Zoe sat, seemingly doing nothing at all and yet guiding the mare with confidence and skill. The mare herself was around fifteen three, a lighter build than her fellow horses and had the agility of a cat. She nipped in-between jumps, turned sharply and with a twist of her hind quarters, cleared everything her mistress asked her to jump.
 
"Good round," muttered Duo as he fed Zero a few more carrots, the gray wuffling in delight at receiving so many of his favorite treats.
 
"She's an exceptional rider," began Treize. "She was in the last cup team and Olympics. This is a new horse though and while I haven't seen it in action before, I've heard a lot about it. I'd say the rumors are true."
 
"What rumors?" Heero asked.
 
"That the mare has the uncanny ability to get out of sticky situations and jumps as cleanly as a cat."
 
"She certainly blitzed her way around the course," commented Duo. "That's enough for now, Zero. No, don't go giving me the hurt horsey eyes either. They won't work... Damn. Okay, one more and that's it."
 
Sitting on Zero's back, Heero couldn't help but laugh.
 
"Okay, everyone. If you could all gather around we will discuss a few things before sending you all out to jump the course again." Noin and Captain Dermail approached the group, the riders all dismounting and leading their horses across to form a semi circle around the coaches. Once Noin had everyone's attention she began to speak.
 
"All of you are to be commended on your skills, your horses are all fine animals and worthy of representing your country. During the course of your flat work warm up and first attempts at the jumping course, Captain Dermail and myself have been making notes on each one of you. There are a few things that have come to light which need to be worked on and that is the purpose of this camp. We intend to work with you on the problems we have found and hope to help you rectify them and as such, become even better competitors." Noin went on to explain to each rider the faults they had found and what they intended to do to try and fix them, thus making them a more formidable team.
 
Duo didn't pay a lot of attention to what faults the other riders had, he was only listening to see what they'd found with Heero; and Treize for that matter. Duo knew he was inexperienced, especially when he couldn't find fault with anyone and the coaches obviously could. When Noin got to Treize she patiently explained that while Treize seemed to flow with his horse, he needed to follow the animal a little lighter with his hands. Unbeknown to him, Treize was apt to shorten his reins a little sooner than necessary and thus restrict his horse's head movement and balance.
 
Treize nodded in agreement, it made sense to him. He knew Goose could be a little fussy at times and wasn't sure exactly what he was doing wrong to cause the bay to be that way. Now he knew, he could work on that.
 
Heero was told he tended to let his lower leg slip back from time to time. This caused his center of gravity to drift forward and put Zero slightly off balance. In a jump off situation where sharp turns were necessary, Heero would find himself unable to balance his horse quickly enough due to his own position being a little 'off'. It made sense to Heero. A rider only had to be a fraction out of alignment with his horse and all sorts of problems could arise as the horse tried to compensate.
 
Duo found it all a little too technical for him and asked Heero to explain in simple terms, his boyfriend doing so once Noin had moved on to speak with Zoe.
 
"Imagine you're giving me a piggy back, Duo," Heero began. "If I sit on your back and remain still, directly above your hips then it's easy for you to carry me, right?"
 
"Right."
 
"Now, if I were to shift my weight a little to one side, only a half inch or so, how is that going to affect you carrying me?"
 
"Ah. I'd be either swinging towards where the extra weight is or putting more pressure on my muscles to compensate and keep myself straight."
 
"Exactly. Over a period of time, your muscles would develop more on the one side than the other and as a consequence, once you piggy backed someone who sat square in the middle, you'd find yourself thrown off balance again."
 
"I see." Duo frowned as he thought over Heero's words. Put like that it made perfect sense to him now.
 
"It's the same with horses. They're the ones piggy backing you and if you're not in the right place then they have to compensate and it causes all sorts of problems to arise."
 
"Thanks, Heero."
 
"My pleasure, Duo," Heero replied with a soft smile. "I guess I'd better get mounted again, looks like they're getting ready for round two." Heero swung himself back into the saddle and checked his helmet. Beside him Treize had also remounted.
 
The coaches called for them to warm up a bit after the horses had been standing for a little while and then they would jump the course again, this time trying to concentrate on the faults that had been pointed out to them.
 
When Heero's turn came to jump again, the young rider did his best to try and keep his lower leg underneath him and thus maintain a better balance and harmony with Zero. Heero wasn't silly enough to think he could cure the fault in one go, he knew it would take time and while he couldn't really feel the benefit of it now, he knew he would when it came down to jumping against the clock where sharp turns and balance could mean the difference between winning and losing.
 
Duo couldn't really tell any difference in Heero's jumping, the man seemed to do exactly the same as his first round, but the coaches seemed pleased. Once all the riders had completed the course a second time, the coaches split them into their two groups and worked for another hour on the flat before calling it a day.
 
Walking beside Zero towards the Waybridge stables, Heero felt tired but happy. Zero had gone well for him and he found he was enjoying the instruction. He and Treize, along with Zoe, had had Captain Dermail as their instructor that afternoon and Heero found himself liking the Captain. He had a no nonsense attitude about him and couldn't tolerate anyone blaming their horse for their own mistakes.
 
While Treize was an excellent teacher and Heero had learned a lot from the man, Dermail was a different kettle of fish. He really knew how to make both horse and rider work. By the end of the lesson, Zero had been sweating hard and Heero not much better.
 
"You need a shower," said Duo, wrinkling his nose as he walked beside his lover back to the stables.
 
Heero sniffed at his armpits. "Yeah, I think I could use one, I'm a little high on the nose. Geeze, I never knew Zero could work so hard."
 
"Dermail certainly has the knack of bringing out the best in you," commented Treize from where he was walking to the side and a little back from Heero and Duo.
 
"You can say that again. I think my legs are going to drop off!" Heero chuckled. "But I've learnt a lot from him."
 
"Yes, the E.F.A. certainly knew what they were doing when they engaged him as a coach. He's hard, but not unkind," Treize stated. "Goose felt like he was going better."
 
"Zero did too. God, I'm so looking forward to a long, hot soak in the tub."
 
"Is that before or after you take care of Zero?" Duo snickered.
 
"That's why I have a groom," Heero teased back.
 
"Oh, no. No way, Heero. I've got consults when we get back," replied Duo with a grin.
 
"Looks like there's no rest for the wicked," Heero muttered.
 
"Nope," Duo smiled. "But I'll wash your back later for you if you like," he added in a whisper.
 
Heero turned to face his lover. "I'll hold you to that."
 
***
 
Later that evening after consults, Duo returned to the house to find it in darkness. He stepped inside the dark kitchen wondering why the lights weren't on when he heard the sounds of water splashing coming from the bathroom. He peered down the hall and spotted a chink of light under the bathroom door. With a smile on his face, Duo snuck along the hall to the bathroom door. He could hear the sounds of Heero inside, water moving around and the scent of sandalwood drifting out to tickle his nostrils. Without further preamble, Duo opened the bathroom door and stepped inside.
 
Heero looked up from his position in the tub when the door opened. Seeing Duo's form silhouetted, he smiled. "Care to join me?"
 
Duo's eyes widened at the sight before him. Candles flickered in the soft breeze the opening of the door had caused. They were everywhere, casting a soft glow about the room. Sandalwood hit his nose again, stronger this time as Heero's words reached his ears. He needed no second invite, shedding his clothes and climbing into the bath tub with his partner.
 
They sat together in the tub, Duo's back resting against Heero's chest simply enjoying each other's company. The oil that Heero had added to the water eased away the aches from stressed muscles, soothing the chafed skin and relaxing both men. They carefully washed each other, Duo scrubbing Heero's back as promised and Heero returning the favor. Once they were both clean they remained in the tub, relaxing and savoring the quiet moment.
 
"How do you rate your chances of making the team?" Duo asked as his head leaned against Heero's shoulder.
 
"Hard to say. All those riders and horses are very capable."
 
"I'm pretty sure Treize will get in," said Duo.
 
"I think so too. I'm not so sure about Sandra though, her horse could be a liability rather than an asset."
 
"How do you mean?"
 
"He's a big horse with a good jump, but when it comes down to speed, he hasn't got it. There's not usually a jump off against the clock in a Nations cup event, but they do set a stiff time for you to get around the course in."
 
"But if there's no timed jump off, knowing he's likely to clear everything wouldn't it make sense to have him in the team?"
 
"One would think so, however," Heero shifted slightly. "However, given there's a risk of getting time penalties you really need a team that can jump clear and quick."
 
"Ah. How do they score it then?"
 
"You have a team of four and each rider jumps the course. Any penalties are added together from the four to give an overall team score. You then jump a second round and again your scores are combined. Then, the scores from both rounds are added together to give a final score for the team. The country with the least faults wins the cup."
 
"Is it the same for the Olympics?"
 
"Yes and no."
 
"Okay. Now you have me really confused." Duo moved his head to face his lover as best he could.
 
Heero laughed. "It's quite simple really."
 
"Maybe for you, but I'm the uneducated one here."
 
Heero leaned forth and stole a kiss. "You're not uneducated at all. I'd say you're perfectly educated - in all things," he murmured huskily.
 
"No, you don't, Heero. No changing the subject on me, besides, if we have sex while you're on this training camp, you're not going to be able to ride properly."
 
Heero pouted. "No sex?"
 
"It's quite simple really," Duo tossed Heero's words back at him.
 
"Touché."
 
"Now, are you going to explain or do I have to wrestle with Nrobbuts and the Internet to get my answers?"
 
Knowing how much Duo hated the computer, Heero relented. He didn't think he could cope with a grumpy vet. "In Olympic competition you are competing as a team as well as an individual. Again, all the scores are added together to give an overall team score which counts towards the final placings. You jump two rounds and then a third against the clock. Not only does your score count towards your team score, but it also counts in the individual competition. Does that make sense?"
 
"Yeah, thanks."
 
"My pleasure."
 
"When do they start to make the selections for the Olympic short list?"
 
"Next year. The next Olympic games are two years away. Once the Nations cup is over with, the season will be coming to an end. Once it starts again next year the selectors will be out and about, noting the performances and then they will make their short list from there. It's pretty much the same sort of procedure that they use for the Nations cup. Once the short list is selected, they usually whittle it down from there and then make their final team selection along with a couple of reserve riders just in case anything should happen to a team member."
 
"Ah. Think you have a chance?"
 
"I don't know, Duo. Let's concentrate on one thing at a time though. We have the Nations cup to worry about first, once that's over with then we can start thinking about qualifying for the Olympic games."
 
Duo gave a soft grunt and relaxed back deeper into Heero's embrace. He was pretty sure Heero stood just as much chance as Treize did of making it to the team. But he wasn't about to count his chickens just yet.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc....