Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 46 ( Chapter 46 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne? Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 46
 
Duo couldn't make it with Heero to the training camp for the next two days, the practice wouldn't allow it. Consults had gone through the roof and Hilde couldn't cope by herself. They also had quite a few bookings for surgery and it wasn't fair to expect Hilde to carry the load. Reluctantly, Duo remained at the surgery.
 
Heero did his best to assure his lover he would be able to cope just fine on his own, Treize had offered to help him out and Joe was more than willing to assist Heero as a groom when the younger rider needed the help. Duo still felt bad about it though and insisted that he did all the stable work and brought the horses in so Heero could relax when he got back and settled Zero.
 
Each night Duo would sit with Heero over dinner and demand a full explanation of what had gone on that day. He snickered when he heard that Short Duck had managed to escape from Joe during one of the flat work lessons and had almost given Zoe's mare a heart attack by barreling his way into the lesson.
 
"I swear, Periwinkle's eyes were stood out like organ stops," Heero chuckled as he related the story to Duo. "She stopped dead in her tracks and planted all four feet. She snorted and kinked her tail. I've never seen anything so funny. Duck just stuck his nose in the air and trotted right past her. Periwinkle didn't appreciate that and before Zoe knew what was happening, the mare turned tail and fled!"
 
"Oh, my. I'd have loved to have seen that," Duo snickered. "Was Zoe all right?"
 
"Yeah, she's fine. I think she was super glued to the saddle. The way the mare spun, I was surprised she didn't come off, but she hung on and managed to get the horse under control and bring her back."
 
"I'll bet Treize wasn't too happy."
 
"He wasn't, but there wasn't anything he could have done about it. He did keep apologizing for it though."
 
"Poor Joe."
 
"Wasn't Joe's fault either. Duck can be a stubborn little shit at times and he managed to yank the lead rope out of Joe's hand and took off. Joe's got a few rope burns too."
 
"Ouch!"
 
"Noin was instructing us at the time and once everyone had calmed down and Duck was caught, she found the entire thing quite amusing too. She even suggested that maybe we should use Duck as a team mascot!"
 
"Oh, man!" Duo went into peals of laughter. "Did Treize agree?"
 
"He said he had no objection. Joe didn't seem to care much for the idea though."
 
"Probably wouldn't seeing as how he'd most likely be the one to have to lead the little demon."
 
Heero snickered. "I think he's planning on wearing gloves in future, either that or doping the mini terrorist."
 
"Now, now, Heero. You know that drugs are not allowed in competition."
 
"I know. Could be quite the news item though if the team mascot was to be swabbed and return a positive swab. Wonder if they would swab the rest of the team then, or simply disqualify the lot?"
 
"I can't see a team being disqualified for their mascot being drugged," Duo sniggered.
 
"Stranger things have happened," Heero replied.
 
"How is it all going though?"
 
"Good so far. I'm learning quite a bit from the Captain and Noin. The instruction is helpful and luckily I haven't developed too many bad habits. The main area I'm learning from though is the technical side."
 
"How do you mean?" Duo was genuinely curious.
 
"It comes down to jumping courses, the way the course is designed, the line, track, approach. How to cut corners, angle fences, save time."
 
"Sounds very technical to me," muttered Duo around a mouthful of steak.
 
"It isn't really. I know it does when you're discussing it, but when you get to see it in the practical it makes a whole lot more sense."
 
"Ah."
 
"Will you be able to come with me tomorrow?"
 
"So far I can. Consults aren't as busy tomorrow and there's only one surgery booked for the afternoon. It's a cat spay and Hilde can handle that on her own."
 
"Great. I've missed having you there."
 
"I've missed going."
 
* * *
 
The following morning saw the team hopefuls all gathered in the schooling paddock, dark clouds overhead threatening rain. Despite the weather, training would go on as usual. Duo had driven his own car to the session. Evening consults had been filling up fast and he would need to leave a little earlier than Heero in order to start on time.
 
The morning was spent on the flat as usual, the lesson theme being shortening and lengthening the horse's strides. After an hour and a half, all the horses in Heero's group were coping well, doing what was asked of them with minimal fuss.
 
They broke for lunch, riders and grooms, settling the horses into their respective stables and making sure they were comfortable before heading into the manor for their own lunch. The staff that were looking after the team hopefuls had provided a hot, filling lunch for them all and both Heero and Duo dug into the thick stew with gusto. It was hot and hit the spot perfectly. During the lunch break the storm clouds that had been gathering broke, rain pelted down, lightning zigzagging across the black sky followed by loud claps of thunder.
 
By the time lunch was over, the storm had passed and all that remained was a light drizzle of rain. Heading back out to the stables to prepare for the afternoon session, Duo glanced at the sky. The clouds weren't quite so dark now, but they were still around, still raining.
 
"Doesn't look like it's going to let up any time soon," commented Duo
 
"No, it doesn't," Heero replied. "Doesn't matter though, you have to be prepared to ride in all sorts of conditions. They don't call a competition off just because it's raining."
 
"I guess not. I'm going to get my Stockman. You want yours?" [1]
 
"Yes, please."
 
Duo fetched the two oilskins from the car and returned to the stables to help Heero finish getting Zero ready for the afternoon's instruction.
 
"What are you doing this afternoon?" Duo asked as he finished buckling up the last of Zero's jumping boots.
 
"I'm pretty sure I heard Captain Dermail muttering something about off set jumps."
 
"Eh?"
 
"Guess we will find out once we get to the paddock."
 
With Zero now ready, Heero pulled on his Stockman and did up his helmet. He led the stallion to the outside courtyard area and mounted. Duo checked his girth for him and then followed along behind out to the paddock. He was soon joined by Joe who also had his Stockman on and the pair retreated to the shelter of the trees to watch. Short Duck grazed quietly beside them, the mini pony didn't like the rain at all and was content to remain under the shelter of the trees so Joe could relax a bit.
 
The trees were close enough to where the instructors were chatting with their pupils and both Duo and Joe could hear what was going on.
 
"As you can see, we have a series of four fences. Each fence is set off side to the preceding one. Today's exercise is to have your horse responding immediately to your aids. If the horse isn't listening then you won't be able to complete the exercise. The rails are the first fence, from there you will need to adjust your horse's stride and direction to clear the second fence, the brush. We will start with these two fences first and then progress to the third and finally the fourth. I hope to have you all jumping the four fences without error by the time we finish." Captain Dermail looked over the group. "Let's go take a look at the line you will need to follow to get from fence one to two."
 
The three riders followed Dermail over to the jumps. Standing at the middle of the rails, Heero could see that fence two was about three strides off to his right. Mentally calculating the strides between the two fences he could see he would need to have complete contact with Zero's mouth as soon as they landed over the first jump. Heero began to figure it out in his head. Land, take contact, two strides to have Zero turning, three strides to straighten again and then two strides to the jump. Tricky.
 
Dermail finished explaining what he wanted the riders to do and then asked for any questions or input from the riders themselves. Treize had a couple of questions and Dermail answered them. Checking that his three pupils all completely understood the exercise, the captain moved to the side where he could observe without being in the way. Also he could coach at the same time.
 
Treize was the first to attempt the exercise, keeping Goose at a slow canter he approached the rails. Goose was eager to jump but remained obedient to Treize's commands. They flew over the rails then Treize sat down firmly to bring Goose back to hand, asking the stallion to change direction slightly. They didn't meet the brush fence dead center though, Goose had been a little sluggish in responding and they jumped the brush more to the left as opposed to the center where Dermail had asked them to jump.
 
"You need to have him more attentive," Dermail stated. "He wasn't completely listening to you on the approach to the first fence. It's imperative you have the animal's full attention before the first jump if you are to take the second one dead center. Right, Heero, let's have you next."
 
Remembering what Dermail had said to Treize, Heero made sure to get Zero's full attention before even approaching the first fence. Zero was traveling nicely, responding to Heero's lightest touch. Heero turned the gray towards the fence, lining it up and driving Zero together. The rain stung his face and tried to blur his vision, but Heero blinked his eyes and shook his head to clear the water away.
 
Zero wasn't too happy about facing into the rain either. He didn't like it coming at his face and tried to duck his head, unfortunately his master's hands and legs wouldn't allow him to do that and grudgingly, Zero faced up to the jump.
 
They cleared the rails easily and as they landed so Heero was shifting his body weight to the right, taking a little more contact with his right rein and pushing Zero across with his left leg. The stallion responded, shortening his stride a fraction and changing direction just a touch. That came into the brush fence, a little too far to the right, but cleared it anyway.
 
"Not bad, Heero," Dermail commented. "Your lower leg drifted back a touch and that's what caused you to travel further right than you aimed for."
 
Heero nodded and returned to his place. He glanced over at Duo who was huddled under the tree with Joe, his wet bangs clinging to his face. He gave his partner a smile, and was pleased to get one in return.
 
Duo was bouncing a little on the spot, trying to keep himself warm. The rain still fell and the temperature had dropped. He cupped his hands together and blew on them, attempting to thaw them out a little. Zoe had tried the off set jumps, but her mare didn't like facing into the rain and had ducked out the side of the second fence. Dermail had told her it was because she'd over compensated for the move to the side and really given the mare no choice but to run out. Zoe had tried again and come up with a better result the second time.
 
Time passed slowly, Duo feeling the cold more and more as the afternoon wore on. Joe took a walk back to the stables and fetched both Goose's and Zero's rugs, leaving Duck under Duo's supervision. When he returned the two grooms had wrapped the horse's rugs around themselves to ward off a little of the chill.
 
Dermail had his pupils jumping the four fences now and finally it was starting to come together and happen the way the coach wanted it to. Duo glanced across at the other group and Noin. She had them going over a grid, again testing the horses abilities and education. The grid consisted of six jumps all in a row, two strides between them. The first two fences were low, the next two a couple of inches higher and the last two a further four inches higher. To Duo it seemed all her pupils were managing the exercise with ease. He turned his attention back to where Heero was tackling the four jumps.
 
Zero was getting a little tired so Heero didn't push him too much, just retained enough energy for the gray to clear the fences. Zero listened to his master and obeyed the commands he was being given, clearing the first jump then moving across for the second, third and finally fourth fence.
 
"Much better, Heero," Dermail called out.
 
Heero smiled and patted Zero. "Good boy," he murmured and turned the stallion, intending to ride back to where Zoe stood, Treize having ridden forward for his turn at all four fences.
 
Duo glanced across to where Noin was shouting instructions to Sandra as the woman was attempting to get the big bay to adjust his stride to the grid. The jumps had been raised, but the bay didn't seem to want to listen. Duo wasn't sure exactly what happened; one minute the bay was jumping, the next he was sending poles scattering everywhere.
 
Sandra's scream brought everyone to a halt.
 
Before anyone could move, Duo had dropped Zero's rug to the ground and was sprinting across the paddock to the fallen horse and rider. Noin beat him by all of two seconds, the rest of the team hopefuls and grooms hot on their heels.
 
Noin immediately dropped to her knees beside the woman. "Sandra? Sandra? Can you hear me?"
 
The woman groaned and tried to sit up.
 
"No. Stay where you are for the moment until I've had a chance to check you over and make sure you're okay," Noin stated and then proceeded to check the woman over for any broken bones cuts or other injuries.
 
While Noin was attending to Sandra, Duo went for the horse. The big brown had regained his feet but was looking wildly around him. Duo could see the animal was panicked and he really didn't want the gelding to try and gallop off. Duo spoke in a wheedling voice, trying to calm the distressed animal.
 
"Whoa there, boy. Easy does it, I'm not going to hurt you," Duo cajoled as he tried to get close enough to grab the horse's reins. The bay shied away from him.
 
"Here, let me," came a voice from Duo's left and he looked to see Dawn, Sandra's groom.
 
"He's spooked," replied Duo.
 
"It's okay, Maestro. Stand still, there's a good boy," cooed Dawn as she approached the frightened animal.
 
The familiar voice broke through the horse's fear and the bay turned to see the young groom. Instantly he whickered and stood still, allowing himself to be caught.
 
Dawn grabbed the reins and immediately began making a fuss of the gelding, petting and soothing him as her eyes darted over the big body, searching for injuries.
 
Duo approached, keeping his movement slow and relaxed. Once he stood beside Dawn he extended his hand and let the bay sniff at him. "He's hurt," Duo said softly as he petted the bay muzzle.
 
"Where?" Dawn asked. Given her position at the front of the gelding it was a little hard to see all of the horse.
 
"Off side hind, there's a gash there. I'd like permission to treat him."
 
"I'll have to check with Sandra, he's her horse, but I can't see her objecting."
 
"Okay. Please do it quickly though. I don't like the amount of blood that's coming from the wound."
 
Dawn turned around to see where her boss was and gave a sigh of relief. Sandra was on her feet and walking towards them, Noin and Dermail flanking her as her steps were a little wobbly.
 
"Are you okay?" Dawn asked.
 
"I'll be fine, just a little shook up and bruised. Is Maestro okay?"
 
"He's got a pretty nasty gash to the off hind. Any other injuries I can't say as I haven't had a chance to look him over yet," Duo said.
 
"Doctor Maxwell?" Sandra looked at the long haired vet. "Could you? Would you treat him, please? It's going to take far too long for my own vet to get here and I don't want him in any pain if I can help it."
 
"I'll take good care of him, Sandra." Duo placed a hand on the trembling woman's arm. "I'd say you need to get some rest."
 
"Right," Noin said, taking charge again. "Everybody back to the stables now. Take care of your horses and then come inside the manor to get changed. Sandra, you're going to take a hot shower and then straight to bed. I'm calling the doctor to check you over for safety's sake. Doctor Maxwell? I'll let Mueller know there's an injured horse coming in and he'll have a stable ready for you to treat the horse in. Anything you need, just ask him."
 
"Thank you, Miss Noin. I'd like Heero to assist me if no one has any objections," replied Duo as he looked to Heero for confirmation.
 
Heero nodded.
 
"Joe and I can take care of Zero for you, Heero," said Treize.
 
"Thanks."
 
"Move it, people. These horses will catch their death if you have them standing around for much longer!" Dermail yelled.
 
There was a flurry of activity as horses, riders and grooms all began to move in the direction of the stables. Duo turned to Dawn. "Let's get him back to a warm stable where I can examine him properly."
 
"Thank you."
 
"Here."
 
Duo looked up to see Heero standing with Zero's rug in his hand. "Put this on him, it will keep him warm as you lead him back."
 
"Thanks, Heero," Duo said with a smile.
 
Heero put the rug on the horse and then turned to Duo again. "Shall I get the gear out of the car when I get back to the stables and get it ready for you?"
 
"Please." Duo was thankful he'd brought his own car that day. Usually he traveled with Heero, but he needed to get back to the surgery a little earlier than usual and so had brought his own car.
 
"See you soon then." Heero mounted up and turned Zero towards the stables, leaving Duo and Dawn to lead the big bay back.
 
* * *
 
It was slow going, Duo didn't want to push the horse too much and cause further bleeding. He could also see the horse was favoring his near fore as well. Finally they made it back to the stables where a concerned Heero, along with Mueller, was waiting for them.
 
"Bring him in here, Miss," Mueller said and led the way to a large, airy stable.
 
Once Maestro was inside, Dawn set about removing the rug, saddle and bridle, getting the horse's own rug and handing Heero back the one he'd put on the bay earlier. Dawn grabbed a couple of towels as well and with Mueller holding the gelding still Dawn and Heero began to dry the horse off as best they could. Duo had moved directly to the cut leg and begun to examine it. The cut went deep, but as far as Duo could tell, no major blood vessels had been severed. Satisfied that it would just be a stitching job, Duo turned his attention to the front leg Maestro had been favoring.
 
He ran his skilled hands down the leg from the forearm to the fetlock, noting the heat as well as any tenderness. Picking up the foreleg, he checked the hoof, pressed and prodded in a few places along the cannon bone, fetlock and coronet before setting the hoof down again. Heero and Dawn had finished drying off the bay and Dawn was reaching for the rug to put on the shivering horse. Doing up the straps, she turned to face Duo.
 
"What's the verdict, Doctor Maxwell?"
 
Duo stepped back and considered his words before speaking. "The hind leg needs to be stitched. He's been lucky in that he didn't cut any major blood vessels or damage any tendons or ligaments. I'd say he's either caught the back of the front shoe and split the cannon open, or he's knocked it on one of the poles and the force has split the skin. Either way he's a lucky boy and it just needs cleaning and stitching. The foreleg, from what I can tell, is just bruised. There isn't any swelling of the tendons, ligaments or muscles so I'm pretty sure he's just given it a nasty knock. He will be out of action though for at least three to four weeks, depending on how bad the bruising is."
 
"Right," Dawn replied. "Would you treat him, Doctor Maxwell?"
 
"Of course," Duo smiled. "Can you tell me when he had his last tetanus injection?"
 
"He had his booster last year," Dawn replied.
 
"Good. He should be fine then. Right, Heero, could you please get me the fine surgical silk, bottle of penicillin, local anesthetic, scissors, needles and syringe? I see you've already brought in the betadine, swabs and a bandage."
 
"Will do," Heero replied and left to get the requested items.
 
"Mr Mueller, would you be so kind as to fetch me a bowl of warm water? Oh, you don't by chance have a crush here on the property, do you?"
 
"I'm sorry, we don't have a crush," replied Mueller.
 
"That's okay. Thought I'd ask as it would make the job easier. Not to worry though, I'm sure Dawn is capable of keeping him still. I can always give him a sedative if the need arises," Duo said and then began to peel off his Stockman and toss it over the stable door.
 
Mueller disappeared to get the bowl of warm water, returning the same time Heero did with the requested items from Duo's car. Duo set everything out and pulled on a pair of latex gloves.
 
"Can you hold him as still as possible, Dawn, I'm going to clean out the wound."
 
"Will do." Dawn took a firm hold on the lead rope and spoke soothingly to the horse.
 
Duo tipped a generous amount of the betadine into the warm water and taking up a piece of cotton wool, he began the task of cleaning out the grass, mud and debris from the wound site. The big bay stood quietly at first, but then began to fidget. "Heero, can you fill a syringe with 10cc of local anesthetic, please? I need to get into the wound itself and he's not going to like it. I'd rather numb the area now than risk him going up on his hind legs and possibly doing more damage to himself."
 
Heero nodded and did as Duo asked. He handed the syringe to Duo, the vet taking it and beginning to inject around the wound site. He'd only managed two shots when the bay decided he didn't want anyone fiddling around his leg and kicked out. Duo felt the breeze as it whizzed past him and ducked back on reflex.
 
"Shit! Duo? You okay?" Heero asked as he saw the hind leg kick out.
 
"Yeah, I'm okay," Duo replied, a little shakily. It had been a near miss.
 
"Maestro! That's enough!" Dawn growled and gave the bay a whack to the neck. The smack didn't hurt the big horse, but it did make him look sheepishly at the slender groom. "I'm sorry, Doctor Maxwell. He's normally not like this, he's generally a big softie. Are you okay?"
 
"It's all right, Dawn. He's a little sore and I can quite understand the reaction. I'll try again, but if he continues to try and kick, I'll have no choice but to sedate him." Duo picked up the needle and syringe and tried again to inject the local anesthetic. This time the point of the needle had barely touched the skin when the bay lashed out again. This time Duo wasn't as quick off the mark and the hoof caught him a glancing blow to the top of his thigh.
 
"Fuck! That hurt!" cried Duo as he dropped the needle and grabbed his thigh. Heero was immediately beside him.
 
"Shit, Duo! You okay? Where did he get you? Did he break anything? Are you bleeding?" The questions tumbled out of Heero's mouth as he desperately sought to reassure himself that Duo wasn't seriously hurt.
 
Duo flopped down into the stable bedding, still clutching his thigh and waiting for the pain to subside. Dawn was busy telling the bay off while Heero hovered protectively over the vet, doing his best not to grab Duo's pants and slide them off him to check out the damage. Duo knew he needed to see what injury had been caused, but he wasn't about to remove his pants when a woman was around.
 
"Doctor Maxwell, I'm so sorry," Dawn apologized, obviously distraught at what had happened. "I didn't think he would kick again, he's not normally like this. Are you all right?"
 
"It's okay, Dawn. It's not your fault. Hazard of the job and all that," Duo did his best to give the woman a reassuring smile, but it turned into a grimace as he tried to stand. "I'll just pop into the next stable and make sure everything's okay. Heero? Would you mind?"
 
Heero stepped over to his lover and assisted the vet out of the bay's stable and into the adjoining, empty one. Once inside, Duo dropped his pants and examined the thigh, Heero right beside him, so close that Duo could feel the rider's hot breath against his flesh.
 
"Heero? Do you have to get so close?"
 
"Ah, sorry," Heero replied sheepishly. "I just wanted to make sure you were okay."
 
Duo smiled and then began to check his thigh out. He carefully prodded around the muscle, hissing when he hit a tender spot. He flexed his knee, ankle and foot. "Nothing appears to be broken and the skin isn't cut either. I'd say I'm just bruised."
 
"You were damn lucky!" Heero whistled through his teeth. "A couple of inches higher and you would have been singing soprano for some time."
 
Duo's eyes widened as he took another look at how close the hoof had come to reaching his family jewels. "Fuck!"
 
"More like 'no more fuck' if it had been any higher," Heero mused.
 
Duo smacked Heero upside of the head. "Is that all you can think of?'
 
Heero looked suitably sorry. "Shall I kiss it better for you?"
 
"Later. Right now I have a horse to stitch up."
 
"Duo, you can't go back in there and stitch, not after what that horse has done. You could get seriously injured," Heero protested.
 
"Heero, I have to treat him. Don't worry, I'm going to give him a sedative and apply a twitch if I have to." [2]
 
Heero knew better than to argue. Carefully, he helped Duo pull his pants back up and then assisted him back into the stable where an anxious Dawn was waiting. Before Dawn could open her mouth, Duo got in first.
 
"I'm okay, just bruising. But I'm going to give him a sedative."
 
Dawn nodded.
 
"Heero, can you fill the syringe with 20ccs of the usual?"
 
Heero filled a fresh syringe with the sedative Duo usually used and handed it to the vet. Duo swabbed an area on the bay's neck and quickly injected the drug. Within five minutes, Maestro was swaying on his feet, a glazed look in his eye.
 
"Now to finish the job," Duo muttered. Heero handed him a new syringe with the local anesthetic in it and Duo quickly finished off injecting around the wound. The bay never moved. Once Duo deemed the area to be numb, he continued to swab the cut, cleaning out the rest of the foreign matter and then stitching the wound closed. Heero handed needle, scissors and re-threaded the used needles as Duo needed them. It didn't take long to stitch and once done, Duo stepped back to admire his handiwork. A neat row of stitches replaced the ugly gash from earlier.
 
"Now to bandage it," Duo said and took the offered gauze and bandage from Heero. As he wrapped the wound site, he spoke to the groom. "The bandage will need to be changed in two day's time, then every day thereafter for eight days. The stitches can come out in ten day's time and the wound should be left to the air then. I'll give him a shot of penicillin as well and he will need a shot twice a day for seven days. One in the morning and one at night. Now, I'll bandage up that foreleg."
 
Once Duo was completely finished, he wrote down the instructions for Dawn and handed her the antibiotic as well as needles and syringes. My number is on there as well. If you have any problems with him in the next twenty-four hours, call me. Once you get him back home and have your usual vet look at him, pass on my number to him and get him to give me a call, then I can explain to him what treatment I've prescribed as well as what I've done to treat him."
 
"Thank you, Doctor Maxwell. I'm really grateful to you and I'm so sorry he acted like an idiot. I can't believe he kicked you!"
 
"Don't worry about it, Dawn. It's not your fault and I know this job can be dangerous. Now, if you will excuse me, I need to be going." Duo glanced at his watch. "I've got consults back at my practice in an hour."
 
"Thank you."
 
"My pleasure." Duo hobbled out of the stable, Heero having picked up all the supplies they'd used and dumped the rubbish in the trash before carting the rest back to Duo's car.
 
Heero grabbed his partner by the arm as Duo went to get into the car. "Are you okay to drive?"
 
"I'll be fine, Heero. The horse caught me on the left thigh, my car is an automatic so I only need my right leg to operate the brake and accelerator."
 
"Please call the doctor when you get back and have her take a look at your leg?"
 
Duo sighed. "Okay. I'll call Doctor Po and see if she can call in tonight. I really have to get going now, Heero, otherwise I'm not going to make evening consults."
 
"I'm sure Hilde can do them, you're injured."
 
"Heero, it's only bruising. I'll be fine." Duo didn't want to admit his thigh was throbbing like a bitch and all he wanted to do was sit down and take the weight off it.
 
Seeing the stubborn set to Duo's jaw, Heero gave in - for the moment. "Okay. I'll go talk to Noin and let her know what's happened regarding Maestro, then I'll pack up my gear, load Zero and see you back home."
 
"Thanks, Heero." With no one around, Duo took a chance and kissed his lover. "See you soon."
 
"You can count on it," Heero replied with a smile. Watching the vet drive off, Heero turned around and went towards the manor to let Noin, Dermail and the other team hopefuls know what had happened with Maestro.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc........
 
[1] Stockman: This is an oilskin, waterproof coat that the stockmen in the outback usually wear. It protects from wind and rain. Those of you that may have seen the movie 'The Man From Snowy River' will recall that the stockmen in this movie wore coats to protect themselves in the Australian high country. These are the 'stockman' coats and get their name from the men who originally developed and wore them. There are several 'copies' available on the market today, the most prominent one being called 'Driza-Bone'. However, nothing can replace or is as good as the original 'Stockman'.
For more info on how this coat came to be as well as what it looks like go here: http://www.australianoutbacksupplies.com.au/category49_ 1.htm
 
[2] Twitch: This is a device that can be made from a piece of twine secured to a piece of wood or plastic pipe which is applied to the end of the horse's nose and tightened by twisting the twine around the upper muzzle. It's used to restrain horses during treatment. To see what a twitch looks like when applied correctly to a horse go here and scroll down about half way to where it says 'Applying a twitch'.
http://racingtoolbox.finpa.com.au/releases/betas/v02/site/resourc e_centre/r1_inf_horses/r110_restraint/restraint_met.htm