Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 48 ( Chapter 48 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne? Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
Time, Fault and Out
 
November 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 48
 
After finishing dinner, Heero went and filled Duo's script at the late night chemist in the town, he didn't want Duo to be in any unnecessary pain and despite Duo's protests about the state of the weather outside, Heero was adamant and left to get the pills. It didn't take him long and when he got back, Duo was still on the couch, ice pack almost melted. Heero removed the ice pack and replaced it in the freezer for later use. Passing Duo two of the pills, Heero then proceeded to kiss the bruising better as he'd promised.
 
"You were very lucky," Heero commented as he pressed feather kisses to Duo's thigh.
 
Duo panted softly by way of reply.
 
"Any higher and your chances of becoming a father would have been in serious doubt."
 
Violet eyes widened at that comment. "Heero? In case you had forgotten, I'm gay. The only chance I'll ever have of becoming a father is if I give up veterinary science and join the priesthood."
 
Heero snickered and then blew warm air up the leg of Duo's boxers. Duo moaned as the warmth whispered over his balls.
 
"Tease," Duo gasped as another breath of air puffed up his boxers and across his hardening shaft.
 
"What happened to your declaration of no sex until after the training camp and selections?" Heero questioned, his voice husky as he mouthed Duo's erection through the silk of the boxers.
 
"Let me make a slight amendment to that statement," Duo groaned. "No sexual penetration until after the selections; anything else, well, that's negotiable."
 
"Then oral sex is a possibility?" Heero's fingers wormed their way under the elastic of Duo's boxers and began to ease them from his lover's hips.
 
"I'd say a very definite possibility," panted Duo as he raised his hips a little.
 
"Good, because I'm hungry." Heero tossed Duo's boxers to the side and proceeded to swallow his lover's shaft from tip to root.
 
All Duo could manage was a few incoherent moans as his eyes rolled back and he let the pleasure overwhelm him.
 
* * *
 
The storm had blown itself out by the following morning. Heero stood at the kitchen window sipping on his coffee and gazing out at the landscape. The sky was still overcast but the wind had died down. Puddles were scattered around the yard and Heero could see a couple of branches lying in the paddocks, severed from the trunks of majestic trees, a reminder of how strong Mother Nature could be. He made a mental note not to put Scythe or Shini in those paddocks until he'd had a chance to remove the limbs and check the fences were okay. A soft sound behind him had Heero turning around and he gave a concerned look as his lover hobbled into the kitchen.
 
Overnight Duo's thigh had stiffened considerably and it was protesting any movement. Duo winced as he took his weight on it, moving slowly and trying not to jar the bruised muscles. Sitting down at the kitchen table he gave his partner a smile of thanks as Heero placed a glass of water and two pain pills in front of him. He took them, swallowing and hoping it wouldn't take long for the pills to kick in.
 
"I think you should stay here today," Heero said as he started to gather together the ingredients for their breakfast and set them on the table.
 
Duo peered over the box of cereal. "As much as I'm loathe to admit it, I don't think I'd be of much use to you today anyway."
 
"You need to rest that leg, give it a chance to heal. Better to be taking a couple of days now to get it right than keep on it and have it give out when you really need it," Heero said softly as he poured a generous amount of milk over his cereal.
 
"When will they be making the final selection and announcing the team?"
 
"In two days."
 
"Right. I'll play the part of recovering invalid for today and tomorrow, but I'm coming with you for the announcement," Duo stated and then began to eat his breakfast.
 
With breakfast finished, Heero insisted on bandaging Duo's thigh with the support bandage that Sally had left. He knew Duo was quite capable of putting the bandage on himself, but Heero wanted to get a closer look at the bruising. He was pleased to note that the swelling had gone down a little, even if the kaleidoscope of colors was impressive. With Duo taken care of, Heero went to put the horses out and finish off the stable work before heading off to the manor and another day's training.
 
* * *
 
The next two days passed with Duo taking it easy as requested and his injury improving for it. He really didn't have much choice with Mother Theresa and Florence Nightingale, as he'd dubbed Hilde and Catherine, on his case. Treize had called and been reassured that Duo was okay and recovering nicely, Sandra had also called and expressed her concern for Duo's injury and also to thank him for taking care of Maestro. Zechs dropped in whilst passing through to a case to see if Duo was really okay and if he needed any help. Trowa and Quatre sent their regards and offers of help. Duo was touched that he had so many friends, all of them concerned for his welfare.
 
Hilde had insisted on doing all the surgery that was booked in, Duo found himself relegated to playing the part of anesthetist while Hilde wielded the scalpel. Catherine had placed a stool inside the consulting room and told Duo he was to use it. He felt a little uncomfortable at first, sitting on the stool to examine his patients when he should be standing, but word of his 'accident' had gotten around and his clients were more than sympathetic to his cause and insisted he remain off his feet.
 
By the time the eve of the selection rolled around, Duo was ready to tear his hair out with frustration at being kept immobile for so long. He had to admit though that he could walk a lot easier now. He'd made his appointment with Sally and the doctor had gone over the bruising again, pleased with how it was responding to the treatment. Sally suggested keeping the support bandage on for a few more days as a precaution, but otherwise gave Duo the all clear to resume his 'normal' life.
 
The morning of the final day of the camp dawned and Duo was eager to be heading off. The air was crisp and cool, and while still overcast, it didn't look likely they would get much in the way of rain. Heero had been up early and done the horses while Duo had made pancakes for breakfast. Once Zero was loaded up, they were off, Duo smiling broadly at being able to accompany Heero while Heero was trying to get rid of the butterflies in his stomach.
 
Arriving at the manor, Zero was unloaded and placed in his stable, Duo carrying some of the gear from the car while Joe came over to assist once he'd spotted them. Heero set about settling Zero, Duo being bombarded by questions from Joe and some of the other grooms as to his recovery. Once everyone was on the grounds they were summoned to the manor to discuss the day's format.
 
Once they were all seated in the 'conference' room, Noin began her address. "As you are all aware, today is the final day of this camp and also when we will announce the team for the Nations cup. During this past week we have had the chance to work closely with you all, find your weaknesses and hopefully have given you all something to work on. Captain Dermail and I have our selection for the team in mind, however the rest of the selectors will also be present today and we will make the final selection this afternoon. The format for today will consist of jumping several different courses; while not long courses, each is designed to test your capabilities and your horse's capabilities. Based on your performances during the show season and how you perform today the team will be finalized. Does anyone have any questions?" Noin finished her announcement and eyed the group. "No? Right. You may go saddle up and warm your horses up. We will begin in an hour. Thank you."
 
Riders and grooms all began to exit and head for the stables and their respective mounts. Treize walked with Heero and Duo. "This is it then, all the blood, sweat and tears comes down to today," Treize said with a smile.
 
"Even if I don't make it into the team, I've learnt a lot this week," Heero replied.
 
"You can never stop learning, Heero," Treize said.
 
"Very true," Duo stated. "What do you think about everyone's chances, Treize?"
 
Treize thought for a moment. "Everyone here has just as much chance of making the team as the next person. All are good riders with talented horses. Each of us has our weakness as well as our strengths and it will be a case of matching up the best four so that the strengths of each one counteract the weaknesses of the others."
 
"I'm glad I'm not one of the selectors," Heero muttered. "I don't fancy them the job at all."
 
"Me either," Duo sighed.
 
"Come on, cheer up," Treize laughed. "It's not as if you're going to your execution."
 
"Yeah, you're right," Heero snickered. "If we don't make it this time, there's always next time."
 
Duo opted to stay quiet. While Heero's words were true, if he didn't make the team this time there would always be the next one, Duo could feel the uncertainty rolling off Heero. This selection meant a lot to Heero, it was something he'd been striving for all his life and to come so close to reaching his goal... Duo knew that if Heero didn't make the team he would be very upset despite the mask he would put on to hide his disappointment. Duo could only hope and pray that all Heero's dedication and hard work would pay off.
 
* * *
 
The sky remained overcast and a light breeze blew, but the rain stayed away. Duo was grateful for that. Standing under a tree soaking wet wasn't his idea of a good time. With the amount of rain they'd had over the past three days, the ground was rather soggy and hard going for the horses. Duo could see how the grass was turning to mud and sucking at the horses hooves as they warmed up.
 
Heero wasn't too happy with the ground conditions either. Zero was sure on his feet and while slipping was always a possibility, it was unlikely for Zero to do so, unless Heero was asking for very sharp turns.
 
"You need to adapt your riding to the conditions," Treize said as he brought Goose to a trot beside Heero.
 
"I was just thinking the same thing," Heero returned.
 
"The selectors know that the ground conditions are shocking and they will be looking to see how you cope, if you think about that and ride accordingly."
 
"It would be stupid to try and take sharp corners," Heero said.
 
"I agree. Strategy is what's needed here and that's what they will be looking for: a rider that can think and apply other methods to gain a clear round in good time without putting himself or the horse at risk."
 
Heero gave a small smile. "It will be a true test then to see if we've all been paying attention to the lessons and coaching this past week."
 
"Exactly. No need for heroics today. Just go out and jump the best you can, keeping yours and your horse's safety the priority. Good luck, Heero."
 
"Thanks, Treize. Good luck to you too."
 
"I think we are wanted." Treize drew rein, bringing Goose back to a walk and turned towards where Noin and Dermail were calling them over. Once everyone was present, Noin addressed the group.
 
"The first course we want you to try is a simple course of eight fences set between three feet six and four foot. What we will be looking for is how you tackle each fence, your line, track, approach and getaway. You have ten minutes to familiarize yourselves with the course, all jumps are numbered and you will jump in the following order: Treize, Alex, Zoe, Heero and Alan." Noin turned to Dermail and the pair walked over to where David Prescott, the head selector, was standing along with four other people.
 
Heero handed his reins to Duo, Treize handing Goose's to Joe and the pair went to walk the course. Duo took the opportunity to have a little 'talk' with Zero.
 
"You be careful out there, Zero. That ground isn't good and I don't want you slipping or hurting yourself, Heero either for that matter. I think we've all had enough injuries to last us a lifetime."
 
Zero nuzzled the nice human's chest, begging for a carrot.
 
Duo chuckled. "Yes, I have your reward, boy, but you'll have to wait until you've jumped clear and brought yourself and your master back safely."
 
Zero didn't understand what was being said, but he knew by the tone of the nice human's voice that this was important. He blew softly through his nostrils.
 
Heero and Treize returned from walking the course, faces unreadable.
 
"What's it like, boss?" Joe asked as he handed Goose's reins back to Treize.
 
"Not to bad. As Noin said, it's designed to test our skills at negotiating a course. No sharp twists or turns, however, you will need to have your horse responsive to your lightest aid if you want to get around clear," Treize replied as he mounted the big bay.
 
Heero prepared to mount and was stopped by a hand on his arm. He turned to look into Duo's concerned violet eyes.
 
"Be careful, Heero," Duo whispered.
 
"I don't plan on taking unnecessary risks, Duo. The conditions are too slippery out there, it's going to be like riding on a skating rink," Heero replied with a reassuring smile. "I want both Zero and myself to be in one piece at the end of the day."
 
Duo lowered his eyes. "I don't mean to sound like I'm nagging..."
 
"You're not," Heero interrupted. "You never nag. You're concerned, Duo, and that tells me just how much you love me. I love you too and there's no way I plan on getting hurt or having Zero hurt." Heero's words were soft, his eyes warm with love for his partner and he gave the vet a gentle smile. "We'll be fine."
 
Duo nodded and gave a smile in return.
 
Heero mounted and slipped his right foot into the stirrup, settling himself in the saddle and collecting up his reins. Zero felt fresh and confident beneath him, Heero knew the gray would look after him.
 
"Good luck," Duo said as Heero prepared to walk Zero over to where the rest of the group were gathering.
 
"Thanks."
 
* * *
 
Treize and Goose sailed around the course, clearing every jump and making it look easy. Heero and the remaining riders though knew it was harder than it looked and it was Treize's skill combined with Goose's training that got them around in such a seemingly effortless manner.
 
Alex and Firefox also went clear, the little chestnut keeping his feet well and showing he could rise to the challenge. Zoe was unlucky to have one fence down, Periwinkle didn't like the heavy going but gamely approached each fence. After landing a little awkwardly over the fourth and slipping slightly, the mare came in wrong for the fifth jump and while she did her best to clear it, her hind legs touched to rail and knocked it from the support cups. It was simply bad luck.
 
Heero ran his hand down Zero's neck as the gray snatched at his bit, eager to be off. Remembering all he'd been taught that week, Heero gathered his horse together and rode with skill and precision. He took a slightly longer track than normal given the ground conditions, allowing Zero every possible chance of coming into his fences squarely and therefore clearing them. It was a neat and precise round, even Duo could see a marked improvement in his lover's riding.
 
Alan was the last to go and it appeared that Phantom was another horse that didn't like the heavy going. The chestnut stallion's ears were back and his tail swishing as Alan rode him around.
 
"I'd say Alan's got his work cut out for him," remarked Treize as he watched the battle of wills between horse and rider.
 
Alan turned the stallion towards the first jump and reluctantly, the horse jumped it. Even with Duo's limited experience in the field of equine competition, he could see that Phantom wasn't happy and Alan was having to work hard to keep the horse going.
 
The second, third and fourth fences were cleared, due more to Alan's determined riding than anything else. When they reached the fifth fence it was clear that the stallion didn't want to jump any more and dug his heels in.
 
"I'd be giving him a good whack with the whip," muttered Treize.
 
"There might be an underlying problem," mused Heero as he studied the chestnut.
 
"Stubbornness," replied Treize.
 
"I don't know," Heero pondered.
 
"Trust me, Heero. That animal is just plain stubborn. It gets a bee in its bonnet every now and then and refuses to jump."
 
"So does Goose at times."
 
"Only if Duck isn't around."
 
"Maybe it's something like that with Phantom?"
 
"No. Alan's had him checked out by vets, chiropractors, equine herbal experts and a load of other so called professionals. None of them can find a reason for this to happen. They've tried many different things, some seem to be working and then, bam, he's refusing to jump again. Usually it only happens rarely, but there's always the chance it will happen when you least want or need it to."
 
"Ah."
 
"Have they had him checked by an animal or equine psychologist?" Duo asked as he watched Phantom reluctantly jump fence five when Alan re-presented him. Animal psychologists were starting to pop up here and there. Some were simply 'quacks' while others were genuine in their vocation. The 'true' animal psychologist studied the behavioral traits of their respective field of study and were slowly being recognized as a valuable asset when determining a problem. While Duo had never dealt with it himself as such, he'd read reports through the veterinary journals about the success a lot of these psychologists were having treating various problems.
 
"Yes, Alan said they had and the psychologist couldn't find anything to warrant this behavior. The psychologist was of the opinion it's just the horse himself. There are days when he simply doesn't want to jump, I guess like we have off days, days when we don't want to go to work." Treize turned his gaze back to Alan who was using his seat, legs and whip to ride Phantom at the last fence.
 
"Unfortunately you can't explain logic to a horse," Heero chuckled.
 
"No, you can't," Treize smiled.
 
"Then I guess there's not a whole lot Alan can do about it," Duo said.
 
"Other than use everything at his disposal to convince the horse it's better to jump, no, there isn't a great deal he can do. Don't get me wrong, Alan's not the sort to use excessive force or be cruel to Phantom, he wouldn't lay into him with the whip and beat the crap out of him. No, he uses the whip to re-enforce his leg aid and add a touch more strength to his riding."
 
Phantom did clear the last fence and despite the pats and praise Alan was lavishing on him, the stallion continued to keep his ears flat and swish his tail in annoyance.
 
With the course completed, it was time to move onto the next part.
 
* * *
 
The day wore on, riders and horses becoming tired as they finished each 'competition'. They jumped grids, off set fences, courses that were deliberately set with the wrong striding; low fences, high fences and finally a speed and skills course.
 
Heero had used all his concentration, everything he'd been taught and learnt over the years to have Zero traveling well and responsive to his slightest touch. Treize had gone clear over the speed and skills course, Zoe also went clear, Alan managed to convince Phantom to jump and the chestnut only had one refusal; and that had been Alan's fault. Alex, on the ever nimble Firefox, had ended up with a rail down and four faults. Zero was getting tired, he'd been jumping for quite some time. He tossed in a small buck as his master asked him to canter, Zero's way of letting his master know he really would rather be inside his warm stable eating dinner.
 
"I know, boy," Heero soothed. "This is the last one, just give it your best shot for me, Zero, then you can have all the carrots you want and a big feed for being such a good boy."
 
Zero snorted.
 
Duo watched with his heart in his mouth. He could tell Zero was tired, the bounce was gone from the long stride, Zero's tail carriage not as gay as usual. "Just one more round, Zero, one more to go, that's all. Look after Heero for me, please," Duo whispered under his breath.
 
The first three fences were cleared easily, four strides and they were approaching the rails. Zero launched into the air, landed and responded to his master's aids to turn. Two strides and Zero was straightening up, four strides and he was leaping into the air again over the brush fence. Heero planned ahead, knowing he would need to meet the wall dead on and have Zero turning within two strides to angle the oxer and meet the gate on the right stride.
 
The wall flew underneath them, Heero sitting hard into his saddle and using his seat and legs to bring Zero almost to a halt to turn. Two strides and they were approaching the oxer on the angle Heero wanted. Zero gathered himself together, brought his hind legs underneath his body and went to push into the air. As his forelegs left the ground a hind leg slipped. It threw Zero slightly off balance and the gray made a desperate lunge forward, twisting his hind end to clear the fence. Landing on the other side, Zero pecked and then regained his balance.
 
Heero felt the slip and desperately pushed himself forward in an attempt to stay with Zero. He let the reins slip through his fingers so as not to jab Zero in the mouth and give the horse as much help as he could. As the gray landed and pecked, Heero jolted in the saddle, his right arm bracing against Zero's neck and sending sharp pains through the upper arm. Heero bit his lip and tasted blood as he fought the wave of pain and did his best to collect his reins and his horse.
 
Zero sensed there was something amiss with his master and his stride began to slow. Strong legs were suddenly on his sides and the familiar touch back on the reins.
 
"It's okay, Zero. One fence to go."
 
The words reassured the stallion and Zero found himself facing the gate. Three strides and he was over it, the contact on the bit slowing his pace and Zero was more than happy to walk.
 
Watching the small slip and landing peck had Duo twisting his braid in his hands. He didn't see the grimace of pain pass over Heero's face. As soon as Heero and his horse returned to where he was waiting, Duo was instantly running an eye over the animal, making sure his 'charge' was all right. Patting the gray, Duo fed the horse his much loved carrots before turning to Heero who was dismounting. "You scared me there for a moment, Heero. What happened?"
 
"He slipped," came the quiet reply.
 
Duo was instantly on alert, Heero's voice held a touch of pain to it. "Are you okay?" Duo moved closer to Heero and now that he could see his lover properly, he noticed Heero favoring his right arm as he wrestled to loosen Zero's girth. Duo immediately placed his hand on Heero's arm, stilling the rider. "You hurt yourself, didn't you?"
 
Heero lowered his head and gave a soft sigh. "I jarred my arm when he landed."
 
"Bad?"
 
"No. Just very sore."
 
"Right. You hold the reins and let me take care of the rest." Duo quickly loosened Zero's girth and ran the stirrups up. "Come on, let's get him back to the stables and rugged up. You lot are going to be needed in the conference room for the announcement of the team in half an hour." Duo could sense that Heero needed a few minutes away from all the others to sort himself out and with Treize approaching, Duo was determined to get Heero that bit of privacy; he also wanted to have a look at Heero's arm and make sure all was okay and that Heero hadn't done any damage.
 
Treize was leading Tall Geese, Joe beside him with Short Duck. "I thought you were going to hit that one for a moment, Heero," Treize said, unaware that Heero had hurt himself.
 
Heero put on a mask and faced the other man. "Yeah, so did I, but Zero made a good recovery."
 
"That he did."
 
"Look, I don't mean to be rude or anything, Treize, but Zero is tired and I want to get him settled properly before the announcement. I think Heero could do with a bit of a rest too," Duo said with a smile to take any sting out of his words.
 
"No problem, Duo. I need to take care of Goose too. I'll meet you both in the stable courtyard after the horses are settled," Treize replied and began to walk off.
 
"Thanks, Duo," Heero whispered.
 
"My pleasure, Heero. Now, let's get going, this horse needs to be taken care of and so do you."
 
* * *
 
Once Zero had been unsaddled, brushed down and rugged up, Duo turned his attention to Heero. "Let me take a look at that arm, Heero."
 
"It's fine, Duo. It's settled down and doesn't hurt as much now."
 
"I don't care. Off with the shirt, now."
 
Heero knew there was no point in arguing, Duo's tone of voice told him it would be useless. He stood up and began to remove his jacket and shirt. Duo let his fingers wander over Heero's biceps, carefully manipulating the area and noting any winces or tenderness. While he may be a vet, the basic physiology was similar in animals and humans and Duo's skilled fingers could detect a broken bone or muscular damage. Having poked and prodded long enough, Duo was satisfied that Heero hadn't done any further damage and it was a simple case of jarring as Heero had thought.
 
"I'd recommend putting some anti-inflammatory gel on that when we get home, it will take a lot of the soreness out."
 
"Thanks, Duo," Heero replied as he re-buttoned his shirt and pulled his jacket back on. "I think I could do with a long soak in the tub with some mineral salts to ease all the aches from my muscles," he added. It had been a long and tiring week and all the riders, not to mention the horses, were feeling tired and worn out.
 
"I think Zero could do with a couple of days off as well," chuckled Duo as he collected the last of the grooming tools and placed them into the carry bag.
 
"I think he's earned it. If he does make the team I'll give him a couple of days to rest; if he hasn't, well, I think I'll give him a couple of months spell in the paddock."
 
"Good idea. You ready?"
 
"Hai."
 
"Come on then, I can see Treize waiting in the courtyard."
 
The pair left the stables and met up with Treize. They walked in silence to the manor and conference room where they would soon find out if they would be packing to go to Sydney for the cup or turning their horses out for a much deserved break.
 
* * *
 
There was a low hum of conversation when the four of them arrived at the conference room, Zoe and her groom Carol were the last of the team hopefuls to arrive. Everyone was asking everyone else what they thought, how their horse had gone and comparing notes on the various courses they had jumped that day.
 
The conversation soon stopped though as Noin, Dermail and Mr Prescott entered the room. Everyone took a seat and stared at the three with anticipation. Dermail and Prescott took a seat leaving Noin standing to address the group.
 
"First of all I'd like to thank you all for coming to this training camp and giving up your time. Captain Dermail and myself have enjoyed working with you all and hope you will all take something away from this camp with you. Each and every one of you has talent, good horses and should be proud of your achievements."
 
A smattering of applause broke Noin's speech for a moment and she smiled at the group.
 
"After working with you all this week, discovering your strengths and weaknesses, Dermail and I have passed on our recommendations for the final team to the board of selectors. The board has taken those recommendations into consideration and combined with your past performance records along with what the selectors have witnessed today, the final team for Sydney has been selected. I'll hand the floor over to David Prescott for the team announcement." Noin smiled at the group and sat down.
 
David Prescott stood up and cast his eyes over the group. He cleared his throat and began to speak.
 
"On behalf of the selection committee I'd like to thank Miss Noin and Captain Dermail for their efforts this week in training and assessing you all. It's never easy to select an International team and even harder when you have to choose from such talented people. Each one of you would do your country proud and are to be congratulated on your efforts. Unfortunately there can only be four in the team and after much consultation, the board has made its decision." Prescott paused for a moment and glanced at the expectant faces.
 
Heero was feeling sick, the anticipation tearing at his insides. Duo wasn't much better, his nerves were fraying with the wait. Treize appeared calm but inside he was a mass of butterflies. The rest of the group wore similar expressions.
 
"The team to represent Australia in the Nations cup will be as follows; Alex and Firefox, Treize and Tall Geese, Zoe and Periwinkle..."
 
Heero and Alan held their collective breath.
 
"Heero and Zero."
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...