Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 51 ( Chapter 51 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne? Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Pairings: 2x1x2, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook (Equestrian Federation of Australia). Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
 
Chapter 51
 
Time had flown by for Heero and Duo, the weeks leading up to their departure for the cup event passing so fast that Duo was wondering exactly where the time had gone. With Hilde and Catherine all set to run the practice and Trowa and Quatre ready to look after Shini and Scythe, everything was organized and all that remained was to pack the gear they would need for Zero and themselves.
 
Heero had put his car into the local garage and had it fully serviced, he didn't want to take the chance of mechanical failure. Similarly he'd had the horse float serviced. The tires had been checked and rotated, brakes replaced and linings flushed; even the floor mats had been taken up and the floor inspected for any wear and tear that might result in Zero getting hurt. The tow hitches on both float and car were checked and finally Heero was satisfied he'd done all he could to ensure the safety of his horse, Duo and himself.
 
Tomorrow they would be setting off for Sydney. Heero's mind was abuzz with all the last minute preparations. Currently he was sitting on the floor in the middle of the tack room, list in hand, sorting through the mountain of gear and separating it into piles; stuff he needed and things he didn't. So involved in his task, he didn't hear Duo come in.
 
"Anybody alive under there?" Duo's cheeky voice rang out.
 
"Fuck!" Heero cursed as he dropped the body brush on his shin.
 
"You okay, Heero?"
 
"Yeah, I'll live," replied Heero as he managed to crawl out from within the pile of horse gear.
 
Duo snickered. "You have cobwebs in your hair."
 
"Just so long as there aren't any spiders to go with them," replied Heero.
 
"Not afraid of a little, bitty spider, are we?"
 
"No. More like the big hairy ones, something like the one just above your head," came Heero's retort.
 
"Arrrgghhh... Where?!" screamed Duo and lunged forward into Heero's arms.
 
Heero couldn't help it, he broke into laughter, the tears streaming down his face as Duo bent himself in almost impossible ways to try and see the spider Heero had mentioned.
 
"Bastard! There isn't any spider!" huffed Duo and did his best to smooth his rumpled clothing and ruffled pride.
 
Heero continued to laugh, the mirth slowing to a few snickers under the glare Duo was sending him. "I'm sorry," he managed to get out. "I didn't think you were scared of spiders."
"I'm not," came the clipped reply.
 
"If you're not then what the hell were you doing screaming and jumping into my arms?"
 
"Self preservation?"
 
Heero snorted.
 
"Maybe I just wanted a cuddle?"
 
"You could have asked."
 
"Where's the fun in that?"
 
Heero shook his head, seemed he was losing this verbal sparring match as well. He decided to change the subject. "What was it you wanted?"
 
"I came to see if you'd finished sorting out Zero's stuff and had the things you wanted Treize to take ready so I can run them over for you."
 
"Ah," Heero turned and looked at the growing stack of gear. "Umm... I've still got a bit to do."
 
"No shit," replied Duo sarcastically. "Geeze, what have you been doing in here for the past two hours? I thought you'd have it all ready to pack by now."
 
After the camp and Duo's experiences with Heero and the amount of gear he'd tried to take, it didn't surprise the vet to find his lover in such a state, despite the list they'd worked out.
 
Heero sighed. "Want to give me a hand?"
 
"I think I'd better, otherwise you'll still be here next week."
 
"Thanks."
 
Duo set to work, his mind knew well enough by now what sort of things Heero usually took with Zero to a show so he didn't bother with the list. It didn't take him long to have the gear sorted into one pile, the things they wouldn't need being put back into the tack shed.
 
"I'll carry on going through this lot if you want to sort out the feed stuffs you're going to need," Duo said as he eyed the pile of horse gear.
 
"Okay. Thank you, Duo." Heero stole a kiss and disappeared into the feed shed.
 
With a sigh, Duo set about sorting through the tack, stuff they would need en route as well as other gear was placed in one pile while things such as a spare rug, jumping boots, spare bridle, stirrup leathers and girth were placed in a separate pile to be taken in Treize's truck. Since Heero was intending to float Zero himself, Treize had offered to take any extra gear as well as Zero's feeds, hay and carrots for the time they would be away. There was plenty of extra room in the goose neck float Treize used to transport his horses. The goose neck was capable of transporting four horses, but only Goose and Duck would be in there so there were two spare horse bays besides the large groom's compartment where the gear was usually stowed.
 
Heero had readily accepted the offer, knowing there was no way Henrietta would cope with the amount of stuff he would need for the eight days away. Heero had decided to take the feeds he would need for Zero with him rather than risk trying to buy feed once they got to Sydney. He grabbed a pile of empty bags, counting out eighteen empty bags. They would be away for eight days and Zero would need two feeds a day. Therefore Zero would require just fourteen feeds, the first and last feeds being given at home, but Heero didn't want to take any chances and would rather have a few spares in case he needed them. He'd already arranged with Treize for the other man to take a couple of bales of hay so the large part of the haynet situation was taken care of.
 
Heero began to measure out the feeds for his horse into buckets and then empty the buckets into the feed bags before starting again until he had all eighteen bags filled. Once complete, Heero grabbed several lengths of binder twine and began to tie off the bags, making sure they were tightly tied so nothing would spill out of them. When he was satisfied, he began to carry the bags out to the main breezeway of the stables where Duo had almost finished sorting through the gear.
 
“All done?” Duo asked as he looked up from what he was doing, namely packing all the grooming tools into their respective bag.
 
“Yeah. I'll keep three feeds with us and the rest can go with Treize. Which is the pile for Treize?”
 
“That one.” Duo pointed to a large pile.
 
“All I need to do now is put a few spare biscuits of hay into a bag to replenish Zero's haynets on the trip and that's it.”
 
“Good. I'm nearly finished here. Once you've got the hay ready I should be done so I'll get you to give me a hand to pack this lot into Camel and I'll take it to Treize's while you pack Henrietta.”
 
Heero resisted the urge to roll his eyes at the names Duo insisted on giving different inanimate objects. So far the horse float had survived the naming fixation; but Heero didn't know for how much longer. “Okay,” he replied and disappeared to finish off with the hay.
 
* * *
 
Treize looked up from where he was removing the saddle off a chestnut horse's back as Duo's car pulled into the stable yard. He couldn't hold the snicker as he noted the amount of gear that surrounded Duo in his car. It would appear Duo was playing the part of delivery boy for Heero. Treize handed over the chestnut's care to a stable boy and walked over to where Duo was escaping his vehicle. "Afternoon, Duo. Looks like you're a little over loaded there."
 
"Hey, Treize." Duo shot a glance back at his heavily laden car. "I guess you could say I'm a bit on the full side."
 
"Is all that Heero's stuff he wants me to take for him?" Treize raised an eyebrow and gave an amused smile.
 
"Yeah, it is." Duo rolled his eyes. "When it comes to going away, Heero doesn't like to leave anything to chance. Personally I think he's being paranoid."
 
Treize laughed. "You sure he wasn't a boy scout at some stage?"
 
"Wouldn't surprise me." Duo couldn't help the grin. "You sure you're gonna have enough room to take all this for Heero? It won't leave you short on space, will it? I know you have two horses yourself to pack for and if there's not enough room I understand, you have to put your own horses and gear as priority. I'm beginning to ramble, aren't I?"
 
Shaking his head, Treize gave an amused snort. "Duo, I'll have enough room to take Heero's stuff as well as my own, there's no problem with that; and yes, you're starting to ramble."
 
"Sorry," Duo gave a sheepish grin.
 
"Come on, I'll give you a hand to get it all out and packed into the goose neck. If you want to take your car around the back of the stable complex, the goose neck is around there. Otto is packing it with the gear for Goose and it won't take long to put Heero's stuff in as well."
 
"Thanks, Treize." Duo hopped back in his car and drove around to the back of the stables where Treize had told him to go.
 
Otto stepped out of the groom's compartment and smiled as he spotted Duo pulling up. "Hello, Doctor Maxwell," he said politely.
 
"Hey, Otto," Duo returned as he got out of the car.
 
"I see you've brought Heero's stuff."
 
"Yup."
 
"Does he have anything at all left at home?"
 
Duo laughed. "Not a lot, no."
 
Otto joined him in laughter.
 
Treize appeared at that point and didn't need to ask what all the laughing was about, he could tell from the look on the mens' faces. He shook his head. "Nearly finished with the gear for Goose?"
 
"Almost done, boss," replied Otto. "I've only got the hay bales and feeds to put in."
 
"Great. Duo, we can put all of Heero's spare gear in the groom compartment and then the feeds can go in the back of the truck with the ones for Goose and Duck."
 
"Thanks, Treize."
 
"Come on, I'll give you a hand otherwise you'll be here until the cows come home."
 
An hour later all the gear that would be needed was neatly packed away into the goose neck and there was still plenty of room. "I think we should give you some petrol money, Treize," Duo said with a sigh. "It's going to add a few dollars to your fuel bill carting all that extra weight of Heero's stuff."
 
"It's no problem, Duo. I'm happy to help out. Would you care for a drink before you go?"
 
"Thanks, but no thanks. I'd better get going. We still have our own clothing to pack and I've got evening consults to do. I'll take a rain check if that's okay?"
 
"No worries. I'd better get moving myself. I've still got another horse to work before dinner and then there's my own gear to finish off packing. Jenny was going to do the majority of it, but I don't like to take advantage of her."
 
"You're leaving tomorrow, aren't you?"
 
"Yes, I am. I'm driving straight through and should arrive at the grounds in the early evening."
 
"We're stopping overnight at a friend of Trowa's. He's got a small farm holding and is happy to put Zero up for the night. We should arrive around mid afternoon on Wednesday."
 
"I'll most probably be around the stables so I'll keep an eye out for you."
 
"Thanks, Treize." Duo walked over to his car and went to climb in. "I guess we will see you on Wednesday then."
 
"Drive carefully and tell Heero to take his time floating that horse down," replied Treize.
 
"Will do." Duo got into his car and left.
 
Treize waved and then turned back to Otto and the last of the preparations for the trip away.
 
* * *
 
Evening consults had gone smoothly for Duo, Heero manning the reception area to give Catherine a night off before she and Hilde would take over the reins for the eight days the pair would be gone. Many of the clients knew of Heero's success in being selected to represent his country and while most of them professed to knowing nothing at all about equestrian competition, they were all as proud as punch to have 'one of their own' selected for such an important event. During the course of the evening, Heero received a non stop flow of good wishes from the many clients, and not just those booked in for a consult; the 'phone was ringing off the hook too.
 
When the last client left, Heero was more than happy to switch the 'phone over to answering machine mode. Not that he was averse to having people wish him luck, if anything he was embarrassed by the sheer volume of good wishes; he'd no idea he and his horse were so popular. No, he was tired and his head was beginning to ache from all the calls, not to mention he'd hardly had any time at all to enter all the evening's consults data to Nrobbuts' filing system. While Duo cleaned up the consulting room, Heero quickly loaded the last of the information into the database and shut down the computer. Wearily he ran a hand over his eyes and sighed. Pushing himself up from the chair, he went into the reception room and tidied up the magazines, put chairs back where they belonged and fetched the broom to sweep the floor before mopping.
 
Ten minutes later the pair had finished, Heero emptying out the bucket and standing the mop up against the outside wall while Duo checked everywhere was locked and turned out the lights. Heero waited outside the back door as Duo flipped off the last light switch and secured the practice, setting the security alarm and closing the door.
 
"I think we deserve a coffee," Duo said as he laced his fingers with Heero's and walked back towards the house.
 
"I agree," replied Heero.
 
"Got much left to do?"
 
"No. All my clothes are folded and on the bed. I thought once you'd finished sorting yours out we could pack them all into one case."
 
"Sounds like a plan." Duo gave Heero's hand a light squeeze. "How are you feeling?"
 
"Tired, happy and scared shitless."
 
Duo's face broke into a broad grin. "You'll be fine, Heero."
 
Entering the house, Heero went to make the coffee while Duo sorted out his own clothing and added it to the pile Heero had folded neatly on the bed. Duo smiled as he spotted Heero's riding outfit hanging inside its protective, plastic 'bag' on the door handle of the walk in robe. He let his mind wander for a moment, visualizing Heero all dressed and on his horse, the crowd silent as they tackled the course of jumps. A warm feeling grew in his chest and a lump began to form in his throat knowing how much his partner was loved and supported by their small community - and that Heero had chosen him to spend his life with. Despite all the public attention, having to share Heero with the many supporters, Duo didn't mind; after all, it was his bed Heero slept in every night.
 
"You okay?"
 
The soft voice drew Duo from his thoughts and he turned to find Heero looking at him, mugs of coffee in his hands. "I'm fine. Thanks." Duo took the offered mug.
 
"What were you thinking about?"
 
"Just how damn proud I am of you and Zero; and how lucky I am to have you love me."
 
A soft smile found Heero's lips and he leaned close, brushing those lips over Duo's. "I'm lucky to have you, Duo. If not for you I don't think I would have made it this far."
 
"Ah, bullshit," Duo replied, his cheeks flushing.
 
"It's true. It must have been fate that day I competed at the Ag show and Zero fell. I owe you big time for fixing him up, if you hadn't been there and quick off the mark, Zero probably wouldn't be competing today."
 
"And I wouldn't have his gorgeous, sexy rider in my bed."
 
Heero chuckled. "I love you, Duo."
 
"Love you too, Heero."
 
"You almost finished sorting out your clothes?"
 
"Yup. Just gotta get my socks and underwear."
 
"Who said you need underwear?" Heero ran a possessive hand over Duo's backside.
 
Duo moaned. "If I don't wear any, you won't be able to concentrate on your jumping and I don't want to be held responsible for your lack of attention causing the team to lose the cup. Besides, my jeans will chafe if I haven't got anything on underneath."
 
"I'd kiss it better for you."
 
Duo could feel his resistance softening and his cock hardening and he moaned again as Heero's hand wormed under the waistband of his pants and continued to slide over his cheeks.
 
Sensing victory, Heero managed to put his own mug down and then take Duo's from nerveless fingers. His mouth began to feather kisses over any piece of exposed skin he could find, his hand, the one that wasn't down the back of Duo's pants, began to work on the button and zipper of said pants.
 
Mind and logic having deserted him, Duo gave in to his need and desire. He let Heero slowly strip him of his clothes and gently lower him to the bed. Clothing that had been piled there ready to pack disappeared and Duo didn't care. Legs were parted, a tongue traced over firm thighs leaving fire wherever it touched. Duo's eyes were closed as he gave himself over to the sensations.
 
A finger teased Duo's entrance, soft words were whispered in his ear, Duo vaguely hearing them.
 
"Let me love you, Duo."
 
"Please."
 
The finger disappeared and then returned before Duo had a chance to bemoan the loss. This time it was slick and slippery, as Heero had managed to locate the lube, he teased Duo's tight hole and then pushed gently inside. A second and then third finger followed, Duo's body welcoming each extra digit and stretching to accept the intrusion.
 
All fatigue seemed to leave Heero as he prepared his lover. Knowing that the next few days would leave them with precious little time to be alone together, Heero was determined to take advantage of the moment. Duo was naked, spread open beneath him with a warm blush bathing his creamy skin. With his fingers still working the muscles of Duo's channel, Heero managed to worm his way out of his jeans and underwear. Heero coated his cock in lube, as he deemed Duo ready for him and withdrew his fingers.
 
Moaning softly at the loss, Duo blinked open his lust filled eyes to see what Heero was up to. He spread his legs wider as Heero sank between them and positioned himself at Duo's entrance.
 
"Let me love you?" Heero asked again, wanting to be certain that Duo was okay with this.
 
"Love me, Heero. Love me long and slow."
 
Swallowing the lump in his throat, Heero began to press forward, slowly his cock breeched the entrance and slid inside. Heat immediately surrounded him, stealing his breath and leaving him panting, grimly hanging on to the last shreds of sanity as he fought to stop himself from coming right then. Eyes closed, a low groan rumbled through his chest as Heero steadily sank into the heat and tightness of Duo's sheath.
 
The slow burn of penetration made itself known as Heero entered his body. Duo closed his eyes and willed himself to relax. He drew upon the memories of the last time Heero had taken him, remembering that it had hurt a little at first, but then the pain had gone to be replaced by unadulterated pleasure. He hung onto that thought as Heero stilled and his body adjusted to the invasion. Steadily, the burn receded until Duo was left with nothing more than an ache, a longing for more. He rolled his hips.
 
Taking that as his cue, Heero began to retreat, sliding cautiously from within his lover's channel and then slipping back inside. He made sure to go slow, giving his partner every chance to stretch and accommodate him. As Duo's passage softened around him, Heero picked up the pace a little. He found a rhythm, steady and sure, keeping his thrusts deep and slow as he began to torment both himself and the vet with his gentle lovemaking.
 
Heero slipped his arms under Duo's shoulders, buried his head in the crook of Duo's neck and pulled his lover close. Slick skin moved against slick skin, Heero's hips continued in a slow, steady thrust as his lover began to raise his own pelvis to meet him.
 
"That's it, baby. Nice and deep," Duo murmured as he pushed up to meet Heero's inward thrust. His passage had stretched and now demanded more of Heero's length, clinging desperately as Heero withdrew and then opening greedily to welcome that thick shaft back inside as Heero pushed forth again. Duo's nails raked over Heero's back as his pleasure built. He trailed his hands down to Heero's backside, caressing the strong muscles of his lover's buttocks as they flexed with the effort of driving his cock inside Duo's body. A small shift in position and Heero's cock hit Duo's prostate, the vet unable to hold the cry of pleasure.
 
Despite the slow pace, each man found himself rising higher and higher. Heero pushed himself up a little and managed to work his hand between their sweating bodies to curl around Duo's cock and stroke. The small shudders and trembles that passed though the flushed body beneath him told Heero that his partner wasn't far from release, which was a good thing seeing as how Heero was almost there himself. The rippling of muscles inside Duo's channel was steadily driving Heero to the point of no return and he redoubled his efforts to bring his lover off.
 
"So hot, so tight," Heero groaned. "Can't, I'm going to..."
 
"Come for me, Heero." Duo squeezed his passage to add weight to his words and was rewarded with a strangled moan as Heero gave in to his body's demands. Warmth spread from his groin to his toes, body going rigid as his orgasm took him to heights unknown.
 
Feeling the wet heat of his lover's seed coating his insides, Duo worked his own hand between their undulating bodies to wrap around Heero's hand and encourage him to continue in his stroking. Heero's orgasm had almost completely robbed him of any physical movement and it was with great effort he managed to keep going and bring Duo to his release. Heat burst forth, Duo crying out with the force of his climax as he sank into nirvana.
 
They collapsed against each other, holding tight and enjoying the sensations that flowed through them both. As sanity began to return, Heero slipped from inside Duo and rolled to the side, Duo following and seeking the warmth of his partner. Soft kisses were exchanged, Duo nuzzling into Heero's chest as his mind slowly returned.
 
"As reluctant as I am to move, we really need to get cleaned up and finish off the packing. It's getting late and we want to get a good night's rest before setting off tomorrow," Heero sighed.
 
"I know," Duo murmured. "A couple more minutes?"
 
Heero chuckled and pressed a kiss to Duo's forehead. "A couple more minutes," he agreed.
 
* * *
 
"That's everything?" Heero asked as his eyes roved over the contents of the car.
 
"Yup. I've ticked off everything as I put it in and I've double checked. All that's left to do is put Zero's float boots on, haynet inside and then pop him on the float."
 
"Water bucket in there?"
 
"Yes."
 
"My helmet? Clothes? Boots?"
 
"Yes, yes and yes."
 
"Feeds for tonight and tomorrow?"
 
"Yes. And lunch for us. Heero, if you don't shut up and get your horse ready the show will be over before we even leave!"
 
Heero gave his partner a sheepish grin. "Sorry."
 
Duo kissed the rider. "Look, I know you're nervous, but everything is packed. We even have spares for the spares, now, go get Zero ready."
 
Heero left to do as Duo said.
 
"If he's that bad when going to a show, I dread to think what he'd be like at his own wedding."
 
Duo spun around as the words were spoken. "Trowa!"
 
The young man nodded. "We thought we would drop over and see you both off, oh, and wish Heero good luck again."
 
"We?"
 
"Quatre's just coming. He stopped by the paddock to say hello to Scythe, Catherine's with him and so is Hilde."
 
Duo's face broke into a broad grin. He was touched that their friends would call to wish Heero all the best, especially as it was early in the morning. Duo knew that Quatre hated getting up before eight so for him to be here at seven to say goodbye had to mean something. Speaking of the other three, Duo's face lit up further as they appeared around the side of the stables.
 
"Morning, Duo," Quatre greeted.
 
"Morning, Quatre, Hilde, Catherine," Duo replied. The blonde Inspector didn't look as if he was completely awake yet and Duo held the snicker as Quatre yawned, confirming the fact.
 
Heero could hear voices outside as he finished putting on Zero's floating boots. He clipped the lead rope to Zero's halter and led the gray out of the stable and into the early morning sunshine. Spotting the group all congregated around the car and float, Heero couldn't help but smile. "Looks like the fan club has arrived to see us off," he told Zero.
 
Zero wuffled and nudged his master. He knew something was in the air, he could sense it.
 
"Heero!" Quatre called out as the rider and horse approached.
 
"Morning, everyone. To what do we owe this pleasure?" Heero asked, already knowing the answer.
 
"We thought we would drop by and wish you all the best again, oh, and wave you off," replied Quatre.
 
Heero smiled. He was touched by his friends' support. "Thank you."
 
Duo dropped the tail gate of the float as Heero brought the stallion around. Everyone gathered close, patting the gray and feeding him carrots.
 
"You be good, Zero," Hilde said as she offered a carrot.
 
Zero took it gently and blew through his nostrils at the woman.
 
"Look after Heero," added Catherine as she also offered a carrot.
 
Quatre fed the stallion a few carrots and gently patted the firm, gray neck. "Bring home the cup, boy."
 
Zero replied by rubbing his nose against Quatre's chest.
 
"Do your best, Zero," Trowa said as he pulled gently on the stallion's ears.
 
"I hate to break this up, people, but we really need to get Zero loaded and hit the road if we're to make it to Albert's farm tonight," Duo said softly.
 
Everyone stepped back and let Heero load his horse. With Zero in the float and munching happily on his haynet, Trowa gave Duo a hand to raise the tail gate and secure it. Heero reappeared from inside and bolted the small, front door before turning to face his friends.
 
"Take care, Heero," Quatre said as he gave the rider a hug.
 
"I will."
 
"I know you will do us proud, Heero." Trowa shook the rider's hand. "Good luck and don't worry about the other two nags, Quatre and I will take good care of them."
 
"Thanks, Trowa. I really appreciate you both looking after them for me."
 
"It's our pleasure."
 
Heero turned to where Catherine was waiting. The young receptionist went to shake his hand but then changed her mind and shyly gave him a hug. She pressed a kiss to his cheek and stepped back, a blush tingeing her cheeks. "Good luck."
 
Heero gave her a warm smile. "Thank you."
 
Hilde eyed him up and down. "Aww... What the heck." She darted forward and wrapped her arms around him, hugging him tight. "Take care of yourself and that horse, Heero. Do your best and show the rest of the world what us Aussies are made of."
 
Heero was a little stunned but reciprocated the hug. "I'll try, Hilde. You look after the practice while we're gone."
 
Stepping back, Hilde brushed a couple of tears from her eyes and then smiled softly as Catherine put her arm around her shoulders. Hilde drew closer to the warmth and comfort the other woman offered.
 
Seeing that the emotion was starting to run thick, Duo stepped in. "Geeze, anyone would think we were going to a funeral!" he quipped. It was the tension breaker they all needed. "Come on, Heero. We need to get moving."
 
"Hai. Thank you everyone," Heero said, his eyes amused by the sight of Hilde and Catherine and he made a mental note to question Duo about that later.
 
Duo turned to the assembled group. "Thanks for stopping by. I know Heero appreciates it. Look after things while we're gone and I'll call you all once we get to Sydney." Duo turned to face Trowa who was standing with his arms around Quatre's waist, the blonde's back against Trowa's chest. "I'll call you tonight to let you know we've arrived at Albert's. Any problems, you have my number."
 
Trowa nodded.
 
Duo jumped into the passenger side of the car and buckled up. He rolled down the window as Heero started the car. Easing his foot off the clutch and accelerating, the car and float began to move, Heero waved out the window to the remaining group as he moved off down the driveway. Out in the paddock, Scythe and Shini neighed, Zero answered from inside the float.
 
Trowa, Hilde, Quatre and Catherine all waved madly back, calling out 'good luck' as they watched the car and float disappear down the long drive. Duo hung out the window waving back as Heero began to concentrate on driving.
 
Once they were on the road, Duo wound the window up and settled into his seat. Opening the glove compartment, he grabbed a few papers and the road map. Locating the directions he'd scribbled down, Duo flipped open the map to the page he needed and traced the route they would be taking. He glanced out the window at the passing landscape for a moment before turning his attention back to the map.
 
"Sydney, here we come!"
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...