Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 52 ( Chapter 52 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 52
 
"There should be a picnic spot up ahead," Duo said as he studied the map. "About another two kilometers," he added to give Heero something to work with.
 
"Thanks."
 
They had been driving for quite a while and were making good time. Heero wasn't pushing the car, just cruising along and taking it easy. So far the car and float were holding up fine and Heero was glad he'd had them both fully serviced before leaving. This was the longest trip he'd ever undertaken towing the float and wasn't sure what to expect from Henrietta. Short distances were an entirely different thing to long ones. So far the motor was running fine, the temperature gauge staying where it should and the float remained balanced behind the car.
 
They'd stopped about two hours ago for coffee and to take Zero off the float. The stallion had enjoyed stretching his legs and picking at the grass at the side of the small general store car park Heero had turned off into. Duo had purchased the coffees and asked if they had a tap around that he could use to fill up Zero's water bucket and give the horse a drink. The woman behind the counter had been very helpful, and once she found out that Heero was Sydney bound to represent his country, she insisted on giving the pair another coffee each on the house to take with them. She'd also thrown in a couple of apples for Zero and insisted on feeding them to the stallion, much to Heero's horror. Heero knew what Zero was like with apples. Luckily for the woman, she had another customer to serve before she had the chance to feed the first apple properly to Zero and had to leave just as the horse was beginning to slobber and drool everywhere.
 
Heero hadn't been quite so lucky.
 
He'd ended up wearing a lot of the drool.
 
Now it was getting close to lunch time and Duo had picked a picnic spot not too far ahead where they should be able to enjoy a peaceful lunch and give Zero another break. Hopefully it would have toilets as well.
 
Heero spotted the blue and white sign that indicated the turn off to the picnic spot five hundred meters ahead, at the same time Duo did. He took his foot off the accelerator and let the car slow down naturally. Indicating, he pulled off the main highway and onto the side road that would take them to the picnic area. Bringing the car and float to a smooth stop, the pair glanced around as Heero cut the engine.
 
There were a few wooden tables scattered about, large rubbish bin to one side and glory be, a toilet block. Heero was pleased to see that, not just because he needed to go, hell, he could pull over and pee in the bush, but it meant there would be running water - water for Zero.
 
Leaving Zero in the float for the moment, Heero grabbed the water bucket and set off for the toilet block, Duo rummaged around in the car finding the cooler and bringing it out ready for their lunch. Heero returned a few minutes later, bladder appeased and water bucket half full. He lowered the tail gate and led Zero off the float, the stallion immediately pricking his ears and blowing through his nostrils as all the different scents drifted to his nose. Heero led him around for a few minutes, letting him see and scent the area before returning to the float and tying Zero to the side. He filled another haynet and gave it to the stallion along with the water bucket. Satisfied that his horse was okay for the moment, Heero wandered over to where Duo had set out their lunch on one of the wooden tables.
 
"Zero okay?" Duo asked as he passed Heero the container of sandwiches he'd made that morning before leaving.
 
"He's fine," replied Heero as he took a sandwich and bit into it.
 
"Soda?"
 
"Thanks."
 
The pair ate in companionable silence, both enjoying the sounds of the bush around them. It was peaceful with just the noise of nature. A soft breeze blew and the sun shone overhead. It was warm, but not uncomfortable and that made Heero happy. Both he and Duo were fine in the car, but if it were much hotter, Zero would be rather uncomfortable in the float.
 
Finishing his sandwiches, Duo grabbed a piece of cake and munched happily. He was feeling more relaxed than he had in a long time, this break was just what the doctor ordered, even if it wasn't technically a vacation. "You sit and relax for a bit, Heero. I'll remove Zero's float boots and take him for a bit of a walk around before we set off again."
 
"Thanks, Duo." Heero picked up his can of soda and took a long drink.
 
Zero was nibbling at his haynet, it was clear he wasn't overly interested in it, he'd rather be exploring the area they were currently parked in. He nuzzled the nice human and politely took the offered carrot.
 
"Good boy, Zero," Duo said softly as he patted the gray neck. "Let's get these float boots off you and take you for a walk around. I'm sure you're tired of standing in the float all the time." Duo removed the boots and rubbed Zero's legs, pleased to note that there was no swelling in the cannon bones. Untying the lead rope, Duo led Zero around the picnic area, letting the horse sniff and stop as the mood took him. They found a patch of grass and Zero began to graze.
 
Having spent a good hour at the picnic spot, all three were feeling much better and Heero decided it was time to move on. Duo cleaned up the remains of their lunch, put the rubbish in the trash and repacked the cooler into the car. While Duo was busy cleaning up, Heero cleaned out the float and then reloaded Zero, making sure the stallion had plenty of hay in the net to keep him busy.
 
"Would you like me to drive for a while?" Duo asked as they prepared to leave.
 
Heero smiled. "If you don't mind." Truth was, Heero was getting a little tired from all the driving, it was a strain, not only on the eyes, but the mind as well. Normal driving over long distances could be wearing, but when you were towing a float as well with a living creature inside, your senses had be twice as alert.
 
"I don't mind in the least." Duo got into the driver's seat and adjusted the mirrors to suit before turning the key and setting off again. He'd checked the map before leaving and had a pretty good idea of where they were going, but he passed the map to Heero and went over it with his partner just to be sure.
 
* * *
 
The landscape continued to roll past, Heero watching it through the window. The radio played softly in the background adding to the relaxed mood. They'd been back on the road again for a good two hours and judging by the map, they should be around five kilometers away from Albert's farm. Heero glanced at his watch; three fifteen looked back at him. Good. They should arrive at Albert's somewhere in the next fifteen minutes which would mean that Zero would be able to spend a few hours in a paddock before being brought in for the night.
 
So far the stallion had traveled well and Heero was pleased about that. He was also pleased he'd decided to do the trip over two days. Judging by the way things were going so far, Zero should arrive fresh and be able to give his best for the competition.
 
"I think that's the turn up ahead," Duo said, breaking into Heero's thoughts.
 
Heero looked up and found where they were on the map. "Yeah, it is. Take a left and then the road to the farm should be the second on the right."
 
Duo indicated and slowed down, making the turn at almost a crawl. Once around the corner he began to accelerate steadily, passing the first turn and then slowing again as the second came into view. Having made the second turn, Duo began to look around for Albert's farm.
 
"According to Trowa's map, it should be about half way down this road on the right."
 
"Does it have a name?"
"Uh, yeah." Heero flipped over the piece of paper Trowa had given him with Albert's 'phone number on in case they needed it. "Darling Downs."
 
Duo snickered. "Did Trowa say what this Albert farms?"
 
"Sheep, I think."
 
"Ewe think?" Duo chuckled.
 
Heero opted to ignore the joke and focus on finding the farm. They passed several open fields with sheep grazing in them when Heero spotted a farm house in the distance. "That might be it," he said and pointed to the house.
 
"You could be right," Duo replied and slowed down as he approached a break in the road that signified a driveway. Bringing the car to a stop, Duo gazed out the window at the white gates. 'Darling Downs' was emblazoned across them. "This is it."
 
Heero got out and opened the gates, waiting while Duo drove through and then shutting them again. He hopped back into the car and they drove slowly up the gravel drive. The house appeared ahead, the drive forking with one part disappearing behind the house while the left fork continued around the front. A shaggy collie appeared and began to bark as Duo stopped the car. Moments later the front door opened and a middle aged man stepped out onto the wide verandah.
 
Heero got out of the car as the man stepped down to greet him.
 
"Shut up, Buster," the man said firmly and the collie stopped his barking. "You must be Trowa's friend, Heero," he said as he offered his hand.
 
Heero shook the hand. "Hai, I'm Heero, Heero Yuy and this is my friend, Doctor Duo Maxwell," Heero replied as he introduced Duo who had gotten out of the car and walked over.
 
"Pleased to meet you, Albert?" Duo said as he shook hands with the man.
 
"Yeah, I'm Albert, Albert Weeks. Trowa said you should be arrivin' around threeish."
 
"Thank you for allowing us to stay here overnight, and for having my horse as well, Mr Weeks," Heero began. "It makes the trip a lot easier."
 
"My pleasure, my boy. And call me Albert, Mr Weeks makes me feel old. Guess you want to get that hoss off the float as soon as possible, eh?"
 
"Yeah. Zero's been a good traveler, but he could do with a break."
 
"Right you are. If you want to follow me around back, I'll show you where you can park your car and float and the paddock I got for your hoss to use." Albert whistled for the dog and set off around the side of the house.
 
"You go with him, Heero, I'll drive Henrietta around," Duo said with a smile. He liked this Albert character.
 
Heero grinned, he was liking Albert too.
 
* * *
 
With the car and float parked, Heero fetched Zero off and led him to the paddock Albert had allocated for them to use. It was close to the house, about two acres in size with a copse of trees in the middle. Lush grass was abundant and a large bath tub full of water stood just inside the gate. Zero was happy with his accommodation too and showed it by snorting loudly and taking a gallop around the fence line. It felt good to really stretch his legs after standing inside the float for so long. After a few minutes of tearing around the paddock, Zero stopped, pawed at the ground and rolled. The sand felt good as it ground into his coat, chasing away the itches. His master had taken his light rug off and Zero enjoyed the freedom. Having rolled and satisfied his itches, Zero settled down to graze.
 
Albert watched the horse with amusement. While he'd never had a lot to do with equines, sheep being his livelihood, he could still appreciate a nice animal when he saw it; and this was one nice animal. "Guess he's settled down okay," Albert stated.
 
Heero smiled. "Looks like it."
 
"Come on, I'll show you where you can stable him tonight, then I'd better take the pair of you in to meet the missus, I won't hear the end of it if I don't take you in soon." Albert turned and with a wink, began to walk towards the large barn.
 
Heero was even happier with the stable arrangements. Albert had set aside a large loose box for Zero to use. Inside, the floor was covered with a thick layer of straw, a full water bucket sat in one corner and an empty feed bin in the other. "It's perfect. Thank you, Albert."
 
"No worries. Any friend of Trowa's is a friend of mine," replied Albert. "You want to store anything in here? There's plenty of room."
 
"Thanks, but there's only Zero's feeds, his traveling gear and rug that really needs to be unpacked. The rest can stay in the car."
 
"Okay then. You want to sort that out now, or later?"
 
"I'll do it later. Better not keep your wife waiting," replied Heero.
 
"Nope, I guess not. Grab your gear from your car and I'll take you to meet the missus and show you where you're sleeping."
 
Duo was doing his best to hold his laughter. Albert was a great guy. Giving Heero an amused look, he walked out to the car to grab the bag with their overnight things in it. Fishing it out from underneath Zero's rug, he muttered quietly to Heero. "I wonder how Trowa and Albert became friends? Where they met?"
 
Heero shrugged. "Trowa didn't say, but it does seem a little unusual for them to be friends given the obvious age difference. Trowa's only around twenty five and Albert must be in his late forties or early fifties."
 
"Guess we can always find out later."
 
Albert waited for them to get their bag from the car and then led them towards the house. "The missus has been real excited to know you were comin'. We don't get a lot of visitors out this way."
 
"I guess you wouldn't," replied Duo politely.
 
Albert stopped at the back door to the house and opened it, motioning for the pair to go inside. Heero and Duo walked into what seemed to be a scullery and looked around.
 
"This way," said Albert and led them through a doorway into a large, homey kitchen.
 
Delicious smells were wafting through the air and both men paused to take in the surroundings. A large, wooden table sat in the middle of the room with chairs around it. A 'fridge and chest freezer stood to one side while opposite was a large, old fashioned range. Duo had seen a few like it in some of the farm houses in Salsbury, but even they were fast becoming obsolete, replaced with the electrical or gas stoves. There was something about the old, wood fired ranges though, it stirred a sense of nostalgia in Duo. A slender woman with silver through her hair was wiping her hands on a dish cloth as they stepped inside.
 
"Rosie, this is Heero Yuy and Doctor Duo Maxwell, Trowa's friends," Albert said as he introduced the pair. "This is my wife, Rosie."
 
"We're very pleased to meet you, Mrs Weeks," said Heero as he shook hands with the woman. "I'm Heero."
 
"It's good to meet you too, Heero," replied Rosie. "And you too, Doctor Maxwell," she continued as she shook Duo's hand.
 
"Call me Duo, please."
 
"And you must both call me Rosie." The woman's blue eyes twinkled back at them. "Trowa's told us so much about you both, I feel as if I already know you."
 
Duo wondered exactly how much Trowa had told them.
 
"Come, sit down the pair of you. You must be tired after driving for so long. I've got the kettle on and it will only take a minute to make a pot of tea." Rosie ushered them to the large table and then returned with cups, saucers, milk jug and a large cake. The teapot soon followed and the pair found themselves with a cup of tea and large slice of cake in front of them.
 
Fortunately for the pair, the conversation was carried on mainly by Rosie, with Albert tossing in a few words here and there. After politely answering a few questions regarding the drive so far, Heero excused himself and Duo, citing that they needed to take care of Zero's things, check the car and prepare the stable for Zero that evening. Albert also had a few things to finish off around the yard before dinner and with the promise to show them where they would be sleeping after they'd finished up outside, Albert and the two travelers left, Rosie reminding them that dinner would be ready at six sharp.
 
It didn't take Heero long to get Zero's rugs, feeds and other items from the car, Duo helping him to carry the stuff into the barn. While Duo put the feed into the feed bin and filled a haynet, Heero went to fetch his horse. At first Zero didn't want to come when Heero called him. The stallion was enjoying his grazing in the paddock, the trip having tired him out and he wasn't ready to get back on the float anytime soon. Heero shook his head when he noticed how the stallion was ignoring him. He really couldn't blame Zero though. Heero climbed through the fence and walked across the paddock to get the reluctant animal.
 
Fifteen minutes had passed since Heero had gone to get the stallion and he still hadn't returned. Duo was starting to get a little worried. Stuffing a few carrots into his pocket, Duo went out of the barn to see what was delaying his partner. When Duo got to the paddock gate, he couldn't help but chuckle. Heero was attempting to catch Zero, but every time he got within a few feet of the stallion, Zero would side step away. Duo watched the little drama for a couple of minutes before he thought he'd better give his lover a hand. Time was ticking by and they would be late for dinner if they didn't move it. Judging by the look on Heero's face as Duo drew closer, his partner was beginning to get more than a little frustrated with his horse.
 
Zero spotted the other human and cocked his ears. This human usually had something nice for him, but Zero was a little wary, he really didn't want to get back onto the float just yet. Duo could see the animal sizing him up as he approached and he dipped into his pocket, pulling out a few carrots.
 
Noticing Duo entering the paddock, Heero paused in his attempts to catch Zero. He was hot and annoyed that the stallion was being difficult, and while he couldn't blame Zero, he was still angry.
 
"Having problems, Heero?" Duo called out as he approached slowly.
 
"You could say that," replied Heero. "I'm pretty sure he thinks I want to put him back on the float when all I want to do is bring him in for his dinner."
 
"Can't say I blame him. He must be tired."
 
"I don't blame him either, Duo. I just want to get him inside and fed. I'm tired too and that dinner Rosie has cooking smells delicious." Heero tilted his head and breathed in the aroma that was floating on the light breeze across the paddock.
 
"Let me have a go."
 
"Feel free. It's not like I can explain to him that I only want to feed him, you seem to have more luck with animal language than I do," muttered Heero.
 
"You start calling me Doctor Doolittle, Heero, and I swear I'll shove this carrot where the sun don't shine."
 
Heero couldn't help it; he snickered - madly.
 
Duo began to talk in a wheedling tone, holding the carrots out where Zero could see and smell them. "Come on, Zero. It's okay, boy. Your master only wants to feed you, he's not going to put you back on the big, bad float. Well, not tonight anyway."
 
Zero turned to look at the nice human a little warily. He cocked his ears at the soft tone and lowered his gaze to the human's hand which was outstretched. Zero sniffed.
 
Carrots.
 
Sensing victory, Duo stepped a little closer. He took his time, talking softly and offering the carrot to the stallion.
 
Zero couldn't help himself. He lowered his head and walked up to the nice human, taking the offered carrot and crunching it happily.
 
Duo fished another carrot from his pocket and fed it to the gray; a third carrot followed and Duo slowly raised his hand to grasp Zero's halter while feeding him another carrot.
 
Seeing Duo's hand close on the halter, Heero gave a sigh of relief and began to walk over. Zero spotted his master out the corner of his eye and went to step away only to be brought up short by a hand on his halter. Damn! Knowing he was caught, Zero lowered his head and gave the nice human his best, liquid brown eyed 'I didn't do anything wrong' look.
 
Seeing the look, Duo chuckled. "I'm not going to save you from your master's wrath, Zero. You're on your own, buddy."
 
Zero snorted.
 
"Thanks, Duo," Heero said as he clipped the lead rope to Zero's halter. "Come on, you rogue," he chastised gently. "Time for your dinner, not that you deserve any after that little performance." Heero turned and began to lead the horse back to the paddock gate, Duo beside him.
 
With Zero now caught and in the stable, it didn't take long to brush him off and rug him up for the night. Zero was feeling a little guilty about not letting his master catch him sooner and did his best to say 'sorry' by being perfectly behaved while he was brushed and rugged. Had he known his master only wanted to bring him in for his dinner, he'd have galloped to the gate at the first call of his name!
 
With Zero now settled, Heero took a glance at his watch. Five-thirty. "We have enough time before dinner to go back to the house and see what the sleeping arrangements are," he said to Duo.
 
"Sounds good to me. Besides, I want to wash up before we eat and it might be an idea to see if there's anything we can help Rosie with."
 
"Keeping on the good side of the cook, eh?"
 
"Never know when it could be to your advantage," Duo replied smugly.
 
Heero shook his head but followed his lover back to the house.
 
* * *
 
Heero knocked on the back door out of respect and waited for Rosie to shout for them to come in. Stepping back into the kitchen, Duo inhaled deeply and almost tripped over the duffle bag that was still on the floor by the door of the kitchen where they'd left it earlier, behind him, Heero snickered.
 
Rosie looked up at the pair as they entered and had to hold her own smile at Duo's trip. "You really should go and put that bag in your room," she said in an amused tone.
 
"Might be an idea," replied Duo a little sheepishly and blushed.
 
"Come on, I'll show you through." Rosie wiped her hands on the tea towel and motioned for the pair to follow her. "I hope you don't mind sharing a room, even though this place is quite big, the other two guest rooms are mainly used for storage as we don't get many visitors out this way. We usually only keep the one clean and presentable though should anyone choose to drop in."
 
"That's fine," said Heero.
 
"Here you are," Rosie said as she opened the door to a large room.
 
Heero stepped inside followed by Duo who was carrying the duffle, both men looked around and smiled. The room had a large window to one side, tall boy and dresser on one wall and a walk in robe on the other. A huge, queen sized bed sat against the remaining wall, a bright blue comforter and matching pillows scattered on its surface.
 
"It's lovely," said Duo with a smile as he turned to face their hostess. "Thank you so much for putting us up."
 
"My pleasure," Rosie said as she blushed a little under the Maxwell charm. "I'll leave you two to unpack and wash up. I'd better get back to dinner, I don't want it to burn. I'll see you back in the kitchen for dinner in fifteen minutes then." Rosie turned and left the two men alone.
 
Closing the door quietly, Heero turned around to find Duo had dropped the duffle to the bed and was gazing out of the window. He sidled up behind his partner and wrapped his arms around Duo's waist, pulling his lover against his chest and placing a few teasing kisses to Duo's neck. Duo sighed and leaned back into the embrace.
 
"It's peaceful, isn't it?" Heero remarked as he followed his lover's gaze out the window to the paddocks that were starting to turn orange under the rays of the setting sun.
 
"Reminds me a lot of home," Duo replied softly and then shifted. "We should go and wash up."
 
"Hai, we should." Heero captured Duo's lips in a warm kiss, one that left them both dazed and panting.
 
"I want more of that later, Heero," Duo murmured softly.
 
"Whatever you want, Duo. It's yours," Heero replied in a whisper. "Anything you want."
 
Duo smiled and gave the rider a soft kiss. "Let's get cleaned up."
 
* * *
 
Dinner was delicious and Duo couldn't help but compliment Rosie who beamed and blushed under the praise. Heero watched his lover charm the woman with a glint of amusement in his eyes. Duo certainly had a way with the ladies, there was no doubting that. If Heero hadn't tasted that wonderful body and known without a doubt that Duo was gay, he would have had serious trust issues with his partner. As it was though, Heero knew Duo was simply being his natural self.
 
During the course of the meal, which incidentally was roast lamb, something that Heero and Duo thought quite fitting seeing as how they were on a sheep farm, the conversation turned to Trowa. Neither man was sure how much Albert and Rosie knew about Trowa and his private life, so they kept their answers to the couples' questions as neutral as possible. Fortunately, Rosie wasn't one to pry too much, neither was Albert. They mainly wanted to know how Trowa was getting along, if his animal shelter was running smoothly and how Catherine was.
 
Duo couldn't help himself; after they had answered the questions relating to Trowa, Duo had to find out just how the couple knew their friend.
 
It turned out to be quite simple.
 
Rosie explained that she had been a part of the circus many years ago. In fact, she had been one of the trapeze artists in her younger days. Albert joined the circus to take care of the animals and once he met the flying aerialist, he was smitten. They shared a whirlwind romance before tying the knot. During their time with the circus, a young Trowa was starting to become quite adept on the high-wire and making a name for himself with his sister as part of the knife throwing act. Rosie had taken the youngster under her wing and taught him what she knew about being an aerial gymnast.
 
In short, Rosie and Albert became sort of 'foster' parents to both Catherine and Trowa. As Rosie grew older, so her flexibility began to wane and she found herself slowing. Rather than wait until she had an accident, she decided to hang up her tights and let the younger, up-coming gymnasts take over.
 
Albert was also beginning to show signs of slowing down and so the pair decided to retire. They packed up their gear, left the circus and bought the sheep farm. While they would never become rich from the farm, they had no regrets either. They were comfortable, secure both financially and emotionally and most of all - they were happy. They'd kept in touch with some of the circus folk over the years and had known about Trowa leaving to set up his animal shelter and were in contact with each other every couple of months.
 
Duo and Heero listened to the tale with rapt interest. It was fun to hear about Trowa and the circus days, the young man himself rarely offered anything by way of information on his background; not that he had anything to hide, it was simply Trowa's way. He didn't like talking about himself, he much preferred to hear about others and keep his own past exactly that - in the past.
 
With dinner over with, Heero and Duo insisted on doing the dishes. Rosie protested while Albert remained silent. He really didn't mind if someone else wanted to do the dishes, it meant he could have the night off so he wasn't about to argue. Heero and Duo got their way and soon had the dishes cleaned up. Rosie put them away as neither man had a clue where anything went and they didn't like to pry in someone else's kitchen. With the dishes out the way, Heero and Duo were ushered through to the lounge room while Rosie made them all a coffee and Albert fed the dog, Buster.
 
Sitting in the well worn armchairs, Duo relaxed, enjoying the serenity of the farm and the couple that ran it. Heero was also relaxed, the driving having exhausted him. Albert soon joined them and turned on the television. Being 'out in the sticks' as Albert put it, they were limited in their viewing channels. Cable and satellite television hadn't made it that far out as yet and although Albert had both a DVD and VCR, their selection was also limited. In the end the television became background noise as the four opted to chat instead.
 
Albert began to yawn at around nine and excused himself. "Sorry guys, but I best be getting off to bed, I have to get up early in the morning and I'm not as young as I used to be. Afraid I need all the beauty sleep I can get."
 
Duo laughed. "I think we should also be making tracks to bed. We need to be up early in the morning to get a good start on the last part of the trip."
 
"I'll be up at five so I can give you guys a wake up call if you like?"
 
"Would six be okay?" Duo asked as he repressed the shudder that wanted to pass through him with the thought of getting up at five.
 
"I'll give you a call at six then. Good night." Albert shuffled off to bed leaving Rosie to lock up.
 
"I'll just go and check on Zero before heading for bed," Heero said.
 
"I'll wait for you to come back in before I lock up then," said Rosie.
 
"Thank you. I won't be long." Heero got up and slipped out to the barn to check his horse while Duo remained inside and gave Rosie a hand to take out the coffee cups and rinse them through. By the time they had finished, Heero was back.
 
"Zero okay?" Duo asked as he hung up the tea towel.
 
"He's fine. Cleaned out his feed bin and almost all of his hay."
 
"Good." Duo turned to Rosie who was bolting the back door. "Would it be okay for us to take a shower? I'd really sleep much better if I had all this traveling dirt off me."
 
"Of course. Bathroom's just down the hall a bit, second door on your left after your bedroom."
 
"Thanks."
 
"There's clean towels in the laundry cupboard, help yourself. Oh, that's the first door on your right," replied Rosie. "Now, I'm off to bed. I'll see you two in the morning for breakfast before you leave."
 
"Thank you."
 
"Goodnight," Rosie said as she turned and went along the hall to hers and Albert's bedroom.
 
"Night," both Heero and Duo replied and then went in search of towels and the bathroom.
 
Fifteen minutes later, both Heero and Duo had taken their showers and were curled up in bed.
 
"The Weeks are a nice couple, aren't they?" said Duo softly as Heero kissed his jaw and neck.
 
"Mhmm," was Heero's reply and then he took Duo's mouth in a gentle kiss of love.
 
When the kiss broke, Duo snuggled deep into Heero's arms, wrapping his own around his lover and listening to the quiet thud of Heero's heartbeat as it lulled him off to sleep.
 
Tomorrow they would arrive in Sydney and the pressure would be on. It would also mean they couldn't show any affection for each other when outside their hotel room. That was something Duo didn't want to think about, Heero either; so for now they would lie comfortably in each other's arms and just enjoy the closeness of the moment - heaven knew when they would next be able to cuddle.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...